New HD (all of a sudden) starts bricking my T61

Quick summary: I have two sata drives: one works fine, but if i put the other in and hit the power button, the 'battery' and 'plugged in' lights go out. No BIOS, nothing.
More detailed explanation: I have a the original 60gb 7200rpm sata drive that came with my T61. It's full, so i bought a 500gb 7200rpm sata drive. I installed the new drive, the computer booted fine, I partitioned it and installed ubuntu and vmware, then i put the old drive back in so that i could grab a vmware image from it. Did that, put the new drive back in, hit the power button and BAM.....nothing happened.
-New Drive: (booted ok once but now) The battery and power lights will go on, but once i hit the power button they go out and dont go back on until I remove the battery and put it back in.
-Old Drive: Boots absolutely fine.
-No Drive: BIOS comes up, everything looks good.
Is there anyone here who can tell me how my computer knows the difference without even going to the BIOS? Is it a power issue? If so then why did it boot once? Please help, i'm slightly frustrated.
Edit: This is a problem with the drive. It does EXACTLY the same thing to a newer thinkpad. I'm still looking for an answer: I'll probably send the drive back but before I do I'd like to understand the problem and make sure that I can't fix it myself...time is money.

lead_org makes an excellent point. If you don't use the correct caddy you can lose your machine and the hard drive. Electrical shorts are created between the walls of the drive space and the drive.
Even if the pins match exactly, you could have this problem and others if you're not using the right caddy!

Similar Messages

• I am using an early 2008 MacBook Pro and am having issues with it deleting text on its own (in word, emails, etc.). As I am typing it all of a sudden starts deleting and I can't stop it. What can I do?

I am using an early 2008 MacBook Pro and am having issues with it deleting text on its own (in word, emails, etc.). As I am typing it all of a sudden starts deleting and I can't stop it. This happened once before and it was due to a buldging battery pressing on the track pad. I checked the battery and it appears to be fine. What can I do?

Please read this whole message before doing anything.
    This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.
    Step 1
    The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.
    Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. For instructions, launch the System Preferences application, select Help from the menu bar, and enter “Set up guest users” (without the quotes) in the search box. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”
    While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.
    Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?
    After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.
    *Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.
    Step 2
    The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login.
    Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode* and log in to the account with the problem. The instructions provided by Apple are as follows:
    Shut down your computer, wait 30 seconds, and then hold down the shift key while pressing the power button.
    When you see the gray Apple logo, release the shift key.
    If you are prompted to log in, type your password, and then hold down the shift key again as you click Log in.
    Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including wireless networking on certain Macs.  The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.
    The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.
    *Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t boot in safe mode.
    Test while in safe mode. Same problem?
    After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of steps 1 and 2.

• My sleep/wake button just all of the sudden started being sticky. It is still responsive but is difficult to press down. What should I do?

My sleep/wake button just all of the sudden started being sticky. It is still responsive but is difficult to press down. What should I do?

There isn't much you can do to try and clean/service that button so best thing to do is take it to an Apple genius bar and have them check it out and see about repair or cleanng whatever they recommend.

• My iMac all of the sudden started going in and out of the dashboard, then started changing all files on the desktop to 2's. It also did this when having another window open. Do I have a virus?

My iMac all of the sudden started going in and out of the dashboard, then started changing all files on the desktop to 2's. It also did this when having another window open. Do I have a virus?

There are no viruses that can affect Apple OS X.
    What files do you keep on the Desktop? How many?
    Performance tip: Keep the Desktop clutter-free (empty, if possible)
    Mac OS X's Desktop is the de facto location for downloaded files, and for many users, in-progress works that will either be organized later or deleted altogether. The desktop can also be gluttonous, however, becoming a catch-all for files that linger indefinitely.
    Unfortunately - aside from the effect of disarray it creates - keeping dozens or hundreds of files on the Desktop can significantly degrade performance. Not necessarily because the system is sluggish with regard to rendering the icons on the desktop and storing them in memory persistently (which may be true in some cases), but more likely because keeping an excessive number of items on the Desktop can cause the windowserver process to generate reams of logfiles, which obviously draws resources away from other system tasks. Each of your icons on your desktop is stored as a window in the window server, not as an alias. The more you have stored, the more strain it puts on the window server. Check your desktop for unnecessary icons and clear them out.
    Keeping as few items as possible on the Desktop can prove a surprisingly effective performance boon. Even creating a single folder on your Desktop and placing all current and future clutter inside, then logging out and back in can provide an immediately noticeable speed boost, particularly for the Finder.
    And it is why Apple invented 'Stacks' for Leopard.
    Here is Apple's take on the subject:
    http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/immaculate_desktop.html

• Why did my camera all of a sudden start taking blury photos

Without any changes to my phone my photos just all of a sudden started to be blury.  I tried to reset my phone, clean off the lens and update the software and no luck.  I also tried fiddling with the setting in the camera and still nothing.  What can I do?

Try a reset:
    Hold the Sleep and Home button down for about 10 second until you see the Apple logo.

• Why does my imac all of a sudden start changing "this computer's local host name"

why does my imac all of a sudden start indicating that "this computer's local hostname is already in use on this network" and then change the name

The default of the pref network.http.max-connections has been increased from 30 to 256 in Firefox 6+ versions.
    Try to decrease the value of the pref <b>network.http.max-connections</b> from 256 to 30 as used in Firefox 3 versions.
    *https://support.mozilla.com/kb/Firefox+never+finishes+loading+certain+websites

• Firefox all of a sudden started to ask if i wanna allow it to make changes to my computer. why is it doing this and how ccan i stop it. it never did it before.

2 months ago i bought a new laptop and made the switch firefox. today it started prompting windows to ask me for permission to make changes to this computer. i keep my computer locked down pretty tight as i am a gamer and have had accounts hacked before. why all of a sudden is firefox wanting to make changes and how can i stop it from prompting?

2 months ago i bought a new laptop and made the switch firefox. today it started prompting windows to ask me for permission to make changes to this computer. i keep my computer locked down pretty tight as i am a gamer and have had accounts hacked before. why all of a sudden is firefox wanting to make changes and how can i stop it from prompting?

• Firefox 4.0 all of a sudden starts hanging. Tried everything please help.

Okay so I've had firefox 4.0 for months now and all of a sudden it started hanging every few seconds. Now I since this happened I've been looking everywhere for a solution.
    I've tried uninstalling it and re-installing 3.6.15. I tried starting it in safe mode and having ALL of my add-ons and everything disabled. I tried creating a new profile, but that still didn't work. I made sure all my plug-ins were up to date and they are.
    The first thing I did was run a system wide scan with Norton Internet Security to see if there was a virus and nothing showed up. I've literally tried EVERYTHING I could possibly think of so please please help would be very much appreciated.

Just read that the default memory storage on FF is set to 5 mbs. You can up that by clicking on tools, advanced and overriding the default and set it to 50 mbs (if you use lots of tabs) or 10 mbs (if you use just a few).
    I open a blank tab and clear the cache periodically, while I am working. I can have several tabs open and watch videos on Youtube, by doing this. Have you cleared your cache?
    Since I have an older computer, I've also used CCleaner for years. I use it often, but always before signing off. You can get it free...search for CCleaner, download from Pirifoam free. I didn't change any of the settings and it clears crap left behind from uninstalling programs, clears all browsers at once of: cookies, history, passwords, etc. I love it!
    I had freezing, before using the "open blank tab, clear the cache" thing. Now I have no problems. Plus, as I said...you can change the default memory usage for FF and that should help too.
    Hope this helps! Good luck! :)

• Safari 8 - tab opens as a new window all of the sudden

So I'm using Safari 8.0.2 on Yosemite. I came across a bug (or is it a new feature?):
    When I have a page opened as a new tab, sometimes, all of the sudden, this tab detaches from the main Safari window to become a new window. This happens as I move my mouse and read but I don't click on anything. I don't touch the keyboard either. it seems it just happens by itself randomly.
    Anyone has experienced the same issue? I find this pretty annoying.
    When it happens I would like to move this new window back as a tab of my main Safari window. I generally don't want to have multiple windows opened with Safari. I prefer to open links in multiple tabs.
    I hope someone has a solution to this issue.
    Thank you!

What you describe happens when you drag a tab out of the tab bar. Are you sure that's not what you're doing? Is the trackpad otherwise behaving normally? Are any other pointing devices connected, such as a tablet, either via USB or Bluetooth?

• HT1267 my phone all of a sudden starts with a voice on every button i touch, i don't know how to shut it off

All of a sudden my phone has a voice on every button i chose, how do i turn it off??

Settings > General > Accessibility > VoiceOver > OFF
    The User Guide is available at http://support.apple.com/manuals/ or downloadable from iTunes as an iBook.

• All my tabs turned into new tabs all of a sudden.

Sometimes all of my tabs suddenly turn into new tabs, this happens when I've previously closed the window page and then reopened it. How can I get all my tabs back?

Do you mean that APP tabs are changed to normal tabs?
    Start Firefox in <u>[[Safe Mode]]</u> to check if one of the extensions or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox (Tools) > Add-ons > Appearance/Themes).
    *Don't make any changes on the Safe mode start window.
    *https://support.mozilla.org/kb/Safe+Mode
    It is possible that there is a problem with the files sessionstore.js and sessionstore.bak in the Firefox Profile Folder.
    Delete the sessionstore.js [2] file and possible sessionstore-##.js [3] files with a number and sessionstore.bak in the Firefox Profile Folder.
    *Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Open Containing Folder
    *http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
    Deleting sessionstore.js will cause App Tabs and Tab Groups and open and closed (undo) tabs to get lost, so you will have to create them again (make a note or bookmark them).
    See also:
    *[1] http://kb.mozillazine.org/Session_Restore
    *[2] http://kb.mozillazine.org/sessionstore.js
    *[3] http://kb.mozillazine.org/Multiple_profile_files_created

• New TV all of a sudden won't pick up 2 channels

3 TVs in house 2 old analog w/ converter 1 brand new Insignia LED ( hooked up 1 week before Christmas) All hooked up to antenna (from a coax splitter) About 1 week ago, the new TV started scrambling channel 9 and 11 (Mpls). All other channels come in perfectly. The other 2 TVs bring in 9 and 11 fine. What could have possibly changed? What's wrong?

The way digital channels are broadcast & what you see on the TV can get confusing real fast. Cosidering your hookup tho I would have to agree with NNBD, your going to need a better signal. Your antenna, especially indoor, is till suceptable to broadcast strength, weather conditions, topography and obstructions like trees, buildings, etc. New TV's require a much stronger & cleaner signal to display properly, where older TV's will simply display what they pick up. Also keep in mind each time your signal is split, you lose some and the closest TV to the split gets most of the signal unless your system is balanced.
    -Agent M
    I do currently work for Best Buy but my opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect Best Buy policy.
    www.facebook.com/geeksquadrecon
    www.twitter.com/geeksquadrecon

• My iPod all of a sudden started to screw up the track listings! Help!

I am one of those people that likes to make sure all of my music in iTunes is with all of its album art, track listings, titles, album order, etc. are all correct. My iPod on the most latest sync decided to seemly arbitrarily scramble some of my albums such that the track listing is out of order. The funny thing is that it is all properly ordered  in iTunes (as it has been for quite some time). The point is I haven't changed anything in my iTunes and it started to do this without any known provocation.
    Is anyone else having this problem? I wish I could try to fix it but I do see anything I can do.
    Please help!
    Thanks

Try:
    - iOS: Not responding or does not turn on
    - Also try DFU mode after try recovery mode
    How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings
    - If not successful and you can't fully turn the iOS device fully off, let the battery fully drain. After charging for an least an hour try the above again.
    - Try on another computer
    - If still not successful that usually indicates a hardware problem and an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store is in order.
    Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar       

• New phone - all of a sudden I have 400 old pictures

So I just got the S4 mini after having a basic phone for many years. I was playing around and went into my pictures where I was surprised to find 400+ pictures and videos that I haven't seen in years. I haven't done anything online and had no idea these were being saved anywhere. I deleted a lot of them off of my phone that I didn't want for various reasons but I wonder now if they still exist somewhere. Where did these pictures come from? How did they show up on my phone? How can I delete them permanently if I wanted to?

You are not an idiot. Went to Verizon class...and asked the same question...where'd they come from. I was told I had to delete all those photos that popped up on my new Galaxy 4 photo by photo...I said that didn't make sense, I had 160 photos in one album. Then she told me they were all my Picassa photos and I couldn't remove them from phone, I had to go to to my PC and remove them there...I said that didn't make sense...I had to delete all my photos from my laptop on my Picassa site to get them off my cell...what was I supposed to do with all my photos just delete all my albums and photos....still don't know the answer, will try to remove Picassa app from my cell phone and find another way to handle my photos.

• My macbook all of a sudden started talking to me with everything i do!

how do i turn it off!!!
    every keystroke i make my macbook talks to me and i have no idea why this started. how do i turn it off plz help.

i figured it out, command+F5 turns that on and off.
    thanks

Maybe you are looking for