No display installing Wn 7 home premium on T400

Bought a refurb T400 and installed a PNY SSD in it. It POST's okay and I can access bios. I can also read/install Linux from DVD just fine.
Trouble is when I insert my win7 home premium DVD into the drive and boot it, I get POST and then I get a black screen. It seems to be reading the drive and when I interrupt with the Esc key or open the DVD drive, I get a Windows menu explaining that the installation has been interrupted.
I've looked at the bios options and can't see anything obvious that should be changed. 
Any clues?
Thanks.
Mark
Solved!
Go to Solution.

Hi Mark,
try cleaning your Window 7 Home Premium DVD. You mention your T400 can read/ load a Linux DVD just fine. So it sounds like a simple read error/ scratches on your Windows DVD and Windows setup is hanging/ getting stuck trying to read/ load the disc. Have you successfully loaded WIndows from this DVD before? If so, then it simply sounds like a worn disc. Download/ burn another copy of Windows 7 Home Premium and you should be OK.  You will need a valid Windows 7 license key to activate. See my long post here for some useful info. about the different Windows 7 versions and activation: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-7-Discussion/Win-7-Product-key-not-working/m-p/1024331#M11851
Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO Image Downloads (directly from Microsoft website): http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/
If you have 3GB or more RAM in that T400, go right for the 64-bit version of Windows. As explained in long post mentioned above, the same Windows 7 key can activate either 32-bit or 64-bit version, so do your Windows setup correctly the first time. By the way, when installing Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (service Pack 1) it is best to leave BIOS SATA setting on "AHCI."
Have a great day. (I do not work for Lenovo)

Similar Messages

• I have a 2008 iMac with Bootcamp 5.0 and I am trying to install windows 7 home premium 64 bit on it. How do I go about this?

I have been having trouble installing Windows 7 Home Premium on my 2008 iMac while using BootCamp.  It has OS X Mavericks 10.9.1.  Every time I try and use bootcamp I come across a blank black screen with a flashing white curser in the top left hand corner after it has restarted.  If anyone knows a solution to this that would be great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM2495dmO0I
    more options
    https://www.google.dk/search?q=installing+windows+7+in+bootcamp&oq=installing+wi ndows+7+in+b&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.6428j0j8&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&i e=UTF-8

• Unable to install windows 7 home premium updates error code 643 (KB 954430, KB973688 & KB2538243)

Unable to install windows 7 home premium updates error code 643 (KB 954430, KB973688 & KB2538243) - Please help me!!
    I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on a Lenovo ThinkPad E530. This laptop is only brands new.
    KB954430, KB973688 & KB2538243 - These three updates keep giving me problems. In Windows Update, under "view update history" these keep showing up as failed. I also get the error, "Code 643".
    At the end of the installation it tells me three updates are failed to be installed and when I shut down to try to update, Windows always configures up to ~15%, then fails, and reverts changes, then prompts me to install updates the next time I turn my computer on. Each time, I have to re-install every update that I had installed prior to shutting down.
    I went through Trouble shooter - "Fix it" numerous times, Repaired Net framework profile and also followed few instructions I found from the net such as running "Reset Register Windows update Components" but nothing works so far.
    I even tried manually installing KB954430 but it told me "An error occurred during the installation of assembly component. 7B30B69B-OE6C-B7EO-A06B-D6B9ABF34537  HR RESULT: 0 x 80070BC9" and the installation bar seems to stop at "Publishing Product information", then rolls back the installation.
    If you need more details, please tell me & Thanks in advance

Checkout this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982 
    It has some resolution steps that may help.
    Thank you for being a part of the Lenovo Family,
    Catie
    Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
    Donate KUDOS and Click "Accepted Solution"

• I need to install windows 7 home premium on my Macbook Pro.  My Macbook Pro is a Core 2 Duo running at 2.26 Mhz.  Do I install the 64bit version or 32bit?

I need to install windows 7 home premium on my Macbook Pro.  My Macbook Pro is a Core 2 Duo running at 2.26 Mhz.  Do I install the 64bit version or 32bit?

• How to Install Windows 7 Home Premium (32bit) with No legacy option in BIOS setting. Just UEFI. in Acer Aspire E1-410 ?

I just broke my older Acer Aspire 4752G.
    I just backup entire Partition my Windows 7 Home Premium (32bit) with Acronis True Image Home 2014 BootCD Premium.
    intend to restore in this brand new Acer Aspire E1-410.
    Acer Aspire E1-410 don't have Legacy Option only UEFI
    Acronis True Image Home 2014 BootCD Premium fully support EUFI but alas my Original Windows don't boot
    So I intend to use repair BootRec command prompt
    These CD Windows won't detect in these Acer
    So I call Acer Technical Support They said :
    there is NO OTHER WAY to change this UEFI to LEGACY MODE (Build-in Bios mode CANNOT change other than UEFI)
    you must install via DVD who FULLY SUPPORT UEFI -> Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 (ONLY in x64bit mode).
    I hope you can resolve these for me.
    Thank you.

It is possible to install Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit from DVD to a UEFI based hardware, but must be done using an answer file. It may or may not work if you are using a recovery DVD. Either way, the OS is not supported on that hardware.
    Windows 8 32bit is supported on UEFI hardware.
    The problem with Win7 32bit on UEFI is a problem in the bootloader. The OS cannot boot because the bootloader cannot find the OS. I had suspected it may be possible to get the OS to boot by using BCDBoot, but since it isn't supported I have not put in any
    effort to determine the method of doing it.

• ISO for re-installing Windows 7 Home Premium Russian x64 with key on HP laptop (x32 installed now)

I have HP notebook with Windows 7 Home Premium x32 installed. I have added memory to laptop, but OS does not see it because 32-bit limitations. Laptop has label with key. I have no any CD/DVD included with OS. Where I can find Windows 7 Home Premium Russian
    x64 ISO to reinstall with key from laptop label?

I just had talk with HP Support (I have Care Pack). You are not absolutely right.... Key from label (OEM on my laptop) is not binds to Windows bit architecture. HP has placed order today for media kit with x64 version of Windows 7 Home Premium included
    for me. It is free)).

• Installing windows 7 Home premium 64-bit, cannot complete installation

Hello,
    I am currently trying to install a genuine windows 7 home premium copy on my iMac 27" using boot camp assistant 3.0.1 on a new partition. Partition is correctly made, installation proccess was smooth but when windows restarted to complete installation everything goes black. When I use safe mode it tells me that windows cannot complete installation on safe mode, and prompt me to reboot and start windows normally. The windows logo appears again but then everything goes black. I removed the partition and repartititoned the disk with boot camp, and tried installing again. Now it's been about half an hour and after the installation reboot, and the screen is black.
    Any ideas?
    thanks in advance.

Sorry,
    Is this an edu download ISO that you burned to DVD yourself, or retail copy?
    No reason to redo partition, when / if you do boot 7 HP, you can always just do clean install, there is nothing wrong with the partitions.
    There definitely are problems with 27" iMac and Windows 7 support, and BC 3.0 came out last... July actually, so almost a year, and before RTM (even though "frozen" W7 went through some major changes later).
    The worst scenario is when BCA freezes or is killed, that can leave the entire drive and Mac OS inoperable (backups are imperative).
    So if you burned the DVD yourself and used Disk Utility, reburn at reduced (2x) speed is all I can think of.
    More problems await you AFTER 7 is installed and Apple Boot Camp drivers mess things up again!
    See the very last post here (3 pages):
    Install 7 iMac 27": Graphic driver glitch

• DW CS3 fails to Install in Vista Home Premium

Hi,
    My new DW CS3 disk will not install DW to my Vista Home
    Premium machine.
    I am looged on as admin. I have tried the suggestions on the
    support page. Disabled norton, Disabled Google toolbar. Tried to
    weed out incomplete Adobe files etc.
    Starngely older Adobe apps, Premiere Pro and After Effects
    installed with right click and selecting "run as XP program. i have
    found no way to do this with the CS3 disk.
    A forum search uncovered no new ideas. Two other DW support
    forums have been fruitless also.
    I need this to run ASAP.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Adrian

If that fails to solve the problem, then I recommend you
    contact Adobe
    directly and use one of your one-on-one support incidents.
    http://www.adobe.com/support/programs/dreamweaver/index.html?tab:contact=1
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert
    (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    ==================
    http://www.projectseven.com/go
    - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs,
    Tutorials & Resources
    ==================
    "Vidflow" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >I have now tried to install DW CS3 8 more times.
    >
    > I have tried the following suggestions from listers and
    the university
    > help
    > desk;
    >
    > 1. running cmd and typing regsvr32 jscript.dll to fully
    establish admin
    > privledge.
    >
    > 2. Using AdobeCS3Cleaner in both methos 1 and then 2 to
    clean out old
    > files
    > that might interfere. MS cleaner was installed also as
    per Adobe
    > instructions.
    >
    > 3. Running msconfig to do an alternate shutdown of all
    non MS program,
    > virus
    > checkers, etc.
    >
    > 4. I have used these separatedly and in combination. The
    same failure to
    > install DW CS3 occurs. DW does not get installed and
    shared components
    > also
    > fail.
    >
    > This is maddening.
    >
    > Adrian
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

• Which version of oracle is better to instal on win7 home premium

Hi I am new on this forum maybe my question is already post.
    I would like to install and configure oracle on my machine , but i do not know which version is going to run well with windows 7 home premium. My laptop is an HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC. So i need more informations and advises if possible to find the issues. These are the following informations about my machine in below.
    Thank you in advance
    System Information
    Time of this report: 9/8/2011, 14:29:18
    Machine name: MINDEEF-PC
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110622-1503)
    Language: French (Regional Setting: French)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 4064MB RAM
    Page File: 2952MB used, 5171MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

the download of Oracle Database Express 11g Release 2 for Windows x32 is finished, now i would to have the documentation in order to follow the different steps to install  Oracle Database Express 11g Release 2 for Windows x32 in a HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC with windows 7 home premium.
    i remind you the information system of my laptop
    System Information
    Time of this report: 9/8/2011, 14:29:18
    Machine name: MINDEEF-PC
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110622-1503)
    Language: French (Regional Setting: French)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 4064MB RAM
    Page File: 2952MB used, 5171MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode
    Thanks in advance.

• Satellite M40: installing Windows 7 Home Premium

Hi,
    I'm trying to upgrade my Satellite M40 (PSM40A-03K009) to Windows 7 Home Premium but towards the end of the installation, my notebook reboots and freezes up trying to start Windows 7.
    I've rebooted in safe mode and it seems to be getting stuck loading \windows\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys.
    I've tried everything I can think of: running start-up repair on installation disk, installing latest versions of drivers, updating BIOS, reformatting disk, etc but nothing seems to work.
    Can anybody help?
    Cheers
    Rob

Thanks for your thoughts.
    You're both probably right about it being too old (although it does have a 2GHz processor & 2GB RAM) but I thought it worth a try as I have a spare copy of Windows 7 and much prefer it to XP (I have it running on my newer Toshiba laptop).
    I'll try a couple more things then restore XP if I can'?t crack the problem.
    Any idea what CLASSPNP.SYS is meant to be controlling? It seems to have something to do with SCSI controller but I don'?t think this pc has any SCSI devices.
    Cheers, Rob
    Message was edited by: Rob Hoar

• I recently downloaded Parallels 9 to my imac so I could install Windows 7 Home Premium and had no trouble everthing is working fine the only question I have is is there a benefit to migrating the 2 together and what happens when I do Thanks.  Ricco

I recently downloaded Parallels 9 to my imack so I could install Windows 7 Home Premiumwith no problem and everthing is working fine, and I was thinking of Migrating the 2 2 and was wondering what benefits there would be and what happens when I do.

Windows 7 will peer down through the VM and remember what hardware the VM is installed on. Migrate the VM to different Mac hardware, and on first boot, Windows 7 will advise you that you are not using genuine Microsoft Windows. It will then treat you as though it believes you misappropriated it.

• I am running Windows 8 and installed Office 365 Home Premium; looking for Business Contact Managment

Can I download business contact manager with office 365 home premium?

Hi,
    Yes, we can download it from:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36513
    Regards,
    Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

• Cannot uninstall PSE10 after failed install (Windows 7 Home Premium)

I am trying to install Photoshop Elements 10 from a disk.
    The process has gone like this:
    I restarted my laptop and made sure it's Windows Updates were up-to-date.
    I uninstalled the PSE9 trial that I had on this computer (that had expired a while ago).
    Restarted laptop.
    Put PSE10 disk 1 into drive and ran Autoplay.exe. [Maybe I accidentally ran it twice as at a later point I vaguely remember seening a message box saying 'can't ran ... at the same time' or something like that]
    I chose the 'Install PSE10 option' - with no Premier trial.
    The install app opened in a normal way and ran for several minutes while I did something else.
    When I next looked it was displaying a message saying something like Couldn't install Shared Technologies...
    I looked the issue up on the web and found an Adobe page saying to install Adobe Support Advisor, which I did and this identified the issue as "cpsid_83574r3: Read or write file system errors when installing - Creative Suite 5"
    There was also a link to a help page which suggested Uninstalling the program, renaming any remaing PSE10 folders and reinstalling.
    So I ran Uninstall - by running Autoplay.exe on the disk (couldn't find any other way).
    This quickly produced an error and reported that no changes had been made.
    I changed the name of the 'Photoshop Elements 10' and 'Elements 10 Organizer' folders anyway. This involved going into safe mode as the first folder would not delete.
    Then I tried reinstalling. But everytime I try to reinstall via autoplay.exe it just offers me the uninstall option and this always fails with error message: Error 2343.Specified path is empty
    What do I do next????

Jeff,
    I have tried renaming the folders back to what they were - to no effect.
    Uninstall does not work either by:
    Using Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Photoshop Elements does not appear anywhere in the list of installed programs.
    Running the Installation from the disk - it says it's going to do an uninstall and gives a 2343 error and says nothing's been changed.
    The link you gave did not seem relevant as it was about looking at the install log and trying to spot the problem there. But the install log I have tells me what happened when I tried to run the original installation process.
    I did manage to find the uninstall log.
    The bit where things goes wrong looks like:
    Action 17:06:45: SetCustomShortCutDir_uninstall.
    Action start 17:06:45: SetCustomShortCutDir_uninstall.
    Error 2343.Specified path is empty.
    MSI (s) (EC:5C) [17:06:48:358]: Product: Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 -- Error 2343.Specified path is empty.
    When I search for 'CustomShortCut', I find thsi further down the log
    Property(S): CustomShortCutDir = C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\
    (I've checked and this directory does exist, but just has a shortcut to the Photoshop Elements 10 exe)
    and a bit further down the log I found:
    Property(C): CustomShortCutDir = P:\CustomShortCutDir\
    This directory didn't exist (obviously). I do have a P: drive (an ordinary partition on my HDD), so I created the dir. But there was no effect the next time I tried to run uninstall.

• Error 0x6 when installing windows 7 home premium onto windows xp

So i downloaded the college priced Windows 7 that i bought from microsoft. I know there was a issue with everyone not getting a ISO file, they got 3 seperate files (setup2.box setup1.box and Win7-HP...) I then followed the steps microsoft gave to make those into a ISO file and to burn it onto a dvd.  But whether i try to install from the desktop or from the dvd, when in the "backing up files" first part of the install, the error "0x6" pops up. What is this ? How can i fix this?

This is how I got around Ox6 problem.   My computer had XP for many years and must have collected lots of junk along the way.  After all the backups of personal file, I did clean reinstall of Xp (including the formatting of the disk).  Basic
    Xp installed without any updates and all.   Then I went to Windows 7 install.  Here also I did the custom install so that nothing is lingering from the XP installation.    
    Another tip.   On my hard drive I had two partition. C drive with 10Gb and D drive with the rest.   Windows 7 got installed on C.   When I went into do windows updates the space was not sufficient on C drive.   
    The total space needed was greater than 10 Gb.   Therefore I went back one more time for the installation.   During the custom installation you have the option to delete that C drive and make it one drive.  Now I have one drive and
    insufficint space on C does comeup.

• Can't Install Windows 7 Home Premium on my new Pavilion dv6

Well guys I have a serious problem here. I recently bought myself a new HP notebook and as I took a first glance at all the unnecessary programs and applications that were allready installed I decided to reinstall windows from the start. So i downloaded a free Windows 7 Trial and burnt the image to a dvd. I thought I could activate the trial later on with my genuine Windows 7 key on the back of my notebook. But the win7 setup didn't even get me that far! After that I had formated the HDD during the setup process it just get's to "finishing installation". This is where the following error message pops up:
    "Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware"
    All I can do here is just click "ok". Then the computer reboots and it says "the windows installation wasn't finished before" or so..
    Please, please help me! I have no idea how to solve this problem! Could maybe a hp employee help me out?
    This is my product:
    HP Pavilion dv6-7145ez (B8G15EA)
    further details here: http://www8.hp.com/ch/de/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=5293000
    I thank everybody for solutions

Hi:
    Try using this free partitioning and formatting software on your C:\ drive first.
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
    Did you use this method of making a W7 DVD that I have posted for dozens of users who have all gotten W7 to install this way?
    If you can read the 25 character Microsoft windows 7 product key, you can download plain Windows 7 ISO files to burn to a DVD for the version of windows that came installed on your PC, and that is listed on the Microsoft COA sticker on your PC's case.
    Burn the ISO using the Burn ISO option on your DVD burning program and burn at the slowest possible speed your program will allow. This will create a bootable DVD.
    Or use the Windows 7 USB/DVD installation tool to compile the ISO file you download from Digital River. Link and instructions below. You need a 4 GB flash drive to use the USB method of compilation.
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool
    Use the 25 character product key on the PC to activate the installation.
    The key will activate either a 32 or 64 bit installation.
    Then go to the PC's support and driver page to install the drivers you need.
    Link to the W7 ISO file downloads is below.
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/
    Paul

Maybe you are looking for

• I have just got a 5th Gen nano. How do I get Radio to show in menu and play ?

I have just purchased a secondhand 5th Gen iPod nano through eBay to replace my "stolen" one.  I am can find "radio" under Main Menu headings but am unable to reposition item in the normal day to day menu between "podcasts" an d "video camera".  I ha

• Windows Updates Failed to Configure in Windows 8 in Lenovo G500s

I am purchased my G500s in October 2013 and tried to install windows 8 updates first time. Before running updates I deleted all my data and switched laptop into default condition using One Key Recovery. But while windows updates are being configured

• How do I change the size of an image when exporting from photos?

In iPhoto I could create jpeg images of various sizes by exporting  a photo and selecting the quality of the image and the size of the file.  How do I do that in Photos?

• Building shared library

I am a new user to Mac and I am trying to build a shared library using gcc. However, I am getting errors when creating a execuatble. My system info. is: [email protected] <810> gcc --version i686-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, I

• Standby failover

hi all, My production running on oracle 9i.Recently i created physical standby for my production.But i don't add any standby redo log files.They are running well.Now, my question is:during a failover condition,when i will switch to physical standby a