No sound on an IBM T60

Hi all,
Hate to clutter the forums as this seems like a popular topic but I have searched far and wide on the wiki and found no solution. Basically it seems as if my sound card is being recognized, but no sound is coming out..... Before you ask I have unmuted the sound (via alsamixer), but I haven't messed around with ACPI. I'm really at a loss here.
Output from lsmod | grep '^snd' :
snd_seq_dummy 1067 0
snd_seq_oss 24984 0
snd_seq_midi_event 4484 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_hda_codec_analog 51911 1
snd_seq 41656 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device 4349 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_hda_intel 19249 1
snd_pcm_oss 33442 0
snd_mixer_oss 14356 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_hda_codec 59723 2 snd_hda_codec_analog,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep 4752 1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm 57767 3 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer 15629 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd 42562 14 snd_seq_oss,snd_hda_codec_analog,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,thinkpad_acpi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_timer
snd_page_alloc 5873 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
Output from ls -l /dev/snd :
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 80 Mar 3 22:11 by-path
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 9 Mar 3 22:11 controlC0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 3 Mar 3 22:11 controlC29
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 8 Mar 3 22:11 hwC0D0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 7 Mar 3 22:11 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 6 Mar 3 22:53 pcmC0D0p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 5 Mar 3 22:11 pcmC0D1p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 4 Mar 3 22:11 seq
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 2 Mar 3 22:11 timer
Plz help a newbie derp his way into high def sound! Thx
Edit: I've used Ubuntu on this machine before and had no problems with alsa
Last edited by codeRage (2011-03-04 04:15:14)

You may wish to try http://support.aspyr.com/entries/20469727-doom-3-has-no-sound
Doom 3 has no sound
SYMPTOMS:
Doom 3 has no sound
RESOLUTION:
The no sound with Doom 3 issue can be resolved by changing the default bit rate in your Midi Setup from 2ch - 24bit to 2ch -16Bit.
To do this, open the Audio Midi Setup control panel in the Applications/Utilities folder.
Change "Properties For": to "Built - in Output" instead of "Built-in Mic". This will show you the Output options. The sample rate should be at 44,100hz, but the Bit rate is defaulted to 2ch - 24bit. Change that to 2ch -16Bit. Once this is changed, Doom 3 should have sound from the internal speaker without having to plug in speakers or headphones.

Similar Messages

• IBM T60 video driver ATI Radeon problem

Hi Team, Please Help, I have IBM T60 Upgraded on Win7 OS, and I have problem on installing the Video Driver.I already install the driver from the lenovo support site (ATI Display Driver Windows Vista 32/64 bit). The installation was succesful, i can see it on the Program and Features List. But on the Device Manager, Display Adapter still the standard display adapter is installed and there is no changes on my divice. The Aero display on windows 7 still does not work.. Please Help.. Thanks

Thank you for you quick reply Mornsgrans Vielen dank und schöne grüsse aus Slowenien

• IBM T60 - Vista recovery disk

Hi,
    My disk crashed and I want Vista recovery disk for IBM T60 laptop.  Where can I get it.

I am not positive, but I don't think Lenovo sells a pre-configured recovery disk for a T-60 with Vista.
    I have a T-60P, and bought Vista when service pack one came out and installed it.  Here's what I did:
    - Downloading all the drivers and utilities for Vista from Lenovo in advance, unpacked them and saved them on a USB drive 
    - Bought a new hard drive and Vista OEM version from Fry's
    - Installed Vista
    - Loaded the utilities
    Vista runs extremely well on this computer - it was a great move.  Lenovo's drivers are excellent.
    Don Mannino

• IBM T60 screen resolution problem

Hello, this unit's max res shows 1024x768, the video controller in the Device Manager has the yellow question mark.
    I tried installing the ATI Display driver from here:
    Video driver (ATI Mobility RADEON / FIREGL PCI Express-2) for Windows XP - ThinkPad R60, T60, T60p (...
    but no change. Tye unit's Type is 1951 and runs on XP, help?

Hello,
    Have you tried installing the ThinkVantage System Update software and allowing it to detect and install any missing drivers?
    Regards,
    Aryeh Goretsky
    I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
    S230u (3347-4HU) • X220 (4286-CTO) • W510 (4318-CTO) • W530 (2441-4R3) • X100e (3508-CTO) • X120e (0596-CTO) • T61p (6459-CTO) • T43p (2678-H7U) • T42 (2378-R4U) • T23 (2648-LU7)
      Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español Русскоязычное Сообщество

• IBM T60 Lost WWAN card after firmware update

Hi,
    I tried to update my MC8755 with a new firmware a while ago using IBM system updater, but after windows restarted the device didn't even show anymore (not even as disabled or a device without a driver), at boot time the WWAN light comes on for a few seconds (till windows starts to load) then it switches off and that's it. I was not really using the card much at the time, so I didn't do anything about it, but after I've been camping a few times lately
    I would like to be able to use it again.
    I have tried to reflash the card again by downloading the firmware from the IBM website but I get a error message saying that it can not find the device, so its unable to flash it again, is there anything I can do to reflash the card? When it is not showing at all?
    I've checked the BIOS and it is still showing that it is switched on.
    I have also checked in Windows Control Panel > Thinkpad Configuration, But nothing is showing there.
    I have also done FN + F5 and it is not showing there too!
    I tried to do a hardware scan for new devices, but it was not found.
    The Model is :2008WN6
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    Thanks
    Rich

Ok,
    A update, ive changed the card for a MC8775 but im still getting the same trouble, so i dont think its the card, could it be that i am running a patched bios?
    I had to patch it to add my Intel ABGN Wireless card
    Hope to hear from someone soon ...

• IBM T60 Laptop Error Message (vrlogon.dll failed toload)

Hello:
    After uninstlaling HP Drivers, I rebooted the the laptop and I get the following error message "the logon user interface dll vr logon.dll failed to load ...contact your system admin or replace dll or restore.
    Any suggestions to fix this problem?

Try the following user tip:
    Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates

• "Cannot Authenticate the Phone" with IBM T60 and N...

Hello!
    I've been reading through the various posts on the "cannot authenticate the phone" -issue, yet after uninstalling & installing BT stack & PC Suite various times my problem still persists. I've also followed every single piece of instruction I've found on uninstalling Microsoft BT stack, yet PC Suite still reports that it is available.
    I can connect from my laptop to the dial-up networking service on the phone, and I am able to connect from the phone to the headset service on my laptop, so BT stack & pairing works ok; I am also able to synchronise the phone via IR => problem must be somewhere in the PC Suite's bluetooth sections.
    Is there any flags to enable debugging level logs in PC Suite? I would SOOO MUCH like to see what the hell goes wrong in there.
    Or is there *any* way of getting this to work??
    Getting pretty tired with this..
    Rgrds,
    sakuvee.
    Operating system:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Build 2600
    Service Pack 2
    Language: English (United States)
    Language for non-Unicode programs: English (United States)
    Locale: English (United States)
    Input language: Finnish
    Nokia PC Suite:
    Version 6.81.13.0
    Language: English
    Connectivity Cable Drivers:
    Version 6.81.1.2
    Microsoft Outlook:
    Version 11.0
    Build 8010
    Bluetooth stacks:
    Microsoft Bluetooth stack
    Version 5.1.2600.2180
    WIDCOMM Bluetooth stack
    Version 5.0.1
    Build 3200
    BT device: Thinkpad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate
    BT firmware: Broadcom 2.1.92.108, HCI 2.0 206C, LMP 2.0 415C
    BT driver: Broadcom, 1.8.2006, 5.0.1.3200
    Phone: V 3.0617.0.6, 03-05-2006, RM-92, Nokia N80 (03)
    ---Message Edited by sakuvee on 19-Oct-2006
    02:46 PM

OK - here's what I did to FINALLY get it working:
    1) Uninstall PC Suite (from Add Remove Programs)
    2) Uninstall Nokia Connectivity Solution
    3) Remove C:\Documents and Settings\[uid]\Application Data\Nokia, ...\\Application Data\[uid]\PC Suite, ...\All Users\Application Data\PC Suite, C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nokia, C:\Program Files\Nokia. Basically all Nokia directories left behind by Nokia uninstallers.
    4) Restart machine
    5) Run PC Suite Cleaner (all options one at a time, except the diagnostics, don't restart although it recommends to do so)
    6) Restart machine
    7) Manually clean all typelibs, activex-objects, device-ids and other registry entries linking to or containing Nokia related stuff from registry using regedit.exe
    8) Restart machine
    9) Install PC Suite
    10) Unpair phone (from laptop and from phone)
    11) Run Get Connected Wizard

• T60 HDD res. partition, USB ports and DVD-RAM drive no longer recognizing data/media!

I have a base installation of the IBM T60.. I made no modifications to the setup or configuration of how the HDD is structured nor have I downloaded and installed any strange drivers... only automatically downloaded drivers from Microsoft update and manually downloaded driver updates from the Lenovo website.
    One day everything was working fine.  Next day, my USB devices, reserved partition (can't remember what this is called) and the DVD-RAM drive stopped working but power was still getting to these devices.
    My DVD-RAM drive is seen as a DVD-RAM on first bootup.  When I insert a CD or DVD media in the drive, the Explorer tree changes DVD-RAM to CD-ROM in the Explorer (really strange).  It behaves like there is no media in the drive.  Cannot boot with that drive either.
    In addition, I have external USB HDD and Flash drives as well.  None of them work on this T60 anymore.
    When I plug in an external USB HDD or Flash drive, I get "not formatted" error message and a prompt to format my drives?!
     I tested these USB external drives on a desktop machine and verified that they are working 100% fine.  So the problem has something to do with my IBM/Lenovo T60.
    It almost seems like something broke on the motherboard perhaps?  I downloaded and installed the latest BIOS updates as well to no avail.  Please help.  Thanks in advance for your time and consideration of this issue.
    Message Edited by bodmaster on 07-18-2008 09:51 PM
    Message Edited by bodmaster on 07-18-2008 09:52 PM
    Message Edited by bodmaster on 07-18-2008 09:52 PM

Anyone have any ideas?  *praying*

• T60 Type 2623 Blue Screen on Resume from Sleep Mode problem solved - XP Pro

I hope that this post ends some frustrations for some people.
    I hope that IBM deals with this issue by getting ATI to fix the video driver issue.
    After three months of tracking down blue screens when resuming from Sleep Mode and some lockups while working, I have identified the problem on my T60 Type 2623 running Windows XP-Pro and all service packs and updates.  The Sleep Mode resume issues were intermittant and it would be fine for a day or two and then reboot on Resume or reboot every time I used Resume for a while.  For months the Blue Screen would reboot and attempt to send the message to Microsoft using the logs, but the logs were always corrupted.  I disabled every driver that I could and the problem continued for months.
    The problem solution came about when I decided to try my Rhapsody Music account after many months of not using it.  I kept getting a message about DRM (Digital Right Management) being disabled and Rhapsody software could not self-fix this.  So I finally called Rhapsody and they spent over an hour with me trying to get Rhapsody to work.  The support person asked me about my computer and I noted that it was an IBM T60.  He then asked about my Video Card and I responded that it was an ATI Mobility Radeon X1300.  After a few minutes on hold he asked about my driver version which was 8.442.3-080103a1-057754C the set from January 31, 2008.  He noted that there is a known problem wit the 8.4 driver and it interferes with DRM.  He had me go to control panel Settings and Hardware and then roll-back the driver to the prior version.
    After a reboot, the DRM issue was solved and I soon discovered that my resume from Sleep mode no longer crashed.  In fact it has been fine and crash free for over a month now.  I have noted that the older driver can sometimes resize my screen to something like 600 X 800 if I close the lid under certain circumstances, but that is just a function key reset to get my normal desktop resolution back.  At least it is not a blue screen reboot with a corrupted log file.
    Message Edited by retro74 on 07-05-2008 08:50 AM
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Unfortunately I could not fix the problem so I wiped my system and loaded all new drivers before I found this posting.
    Is there a way to get the old ATI driver that works? The only one available on the ATI and Lenovo website is the latest one with the problem. I agree with you David, Lenovo should have fixed this problem already with ATI.
    John

• Ram Upgrade for T60

Hi,
     I have IBM T60 laptop with 1 GB ram.  I want to upgrade the ram to 2 GB.  According to the lenovo site I need to install this ram
    2GB PC2-5300 NP DDR2 SDRAM SODIMM.
    40Y77352GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM SODIMM
     http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-62761
    Should we have to install the ram recommended by IBM/Lenovo for T60.
    Are there any alternatives from a different company.

Welcome to the forum!
    Any laptop RAM spec'd at PC5300 or higher will work. You can shop around for the best deal you can find. FYI, IBM or Lenovo don't manufacture their own RAM sticks, but get it from other companies (Hynix, Samsung, Elpida, Micron) and re-brand it.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    George
    In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
    Collecting dust: T60
    Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
    Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
    Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

• T60 Windows startup problem?

So today out of the blue my IBM t60 shut off. when i try to start it back up it gives a blue screen of death while on the windows screen (windows xp). This occurs every single time even when the option to boot into safe mode is used.
    I've tried reformatting the computer but when the boot disk was used, it gave an error stating that the hard drive could not be recognized even though I've been using the same hard drive for over 3 years now.
    Is this a sign of a dead hard drive?
    The thinkvantage system restore utility does not work for me either saying that I have the wrong windows password and also do not have the correct answers for the "forgot my password" utility. is there any way to get around that in order to see if I can get my data back?
    thanks in advance

try switching the bios sata mode from achi to compatibility. 
    Regards,
    Jin Li
    May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
    I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

• Bluetooth A2DP on T60 with XP

I have an IBM T60 with Windows XP and all of the updates installed.
    I purchased a Motorola S9 Bluetooth Stereo headset which works great with my cell phone, but I cannot get Windows to see that it exists.
    I have installed the latest Bluetooth drivers from the IBM Support web site, from the IBM support site
    Microsoft Bluetooth Support file for Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate -> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-62928.html.  After the install, I still can't see the S9 headset.
    I tried to download and install the Widecom Bluetooth drivers and each time I try to install it, the install fails.
    Anyone know how to get A2DP support on the T60?
    Thank you
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Ok. Of course it always works this way....I spend hours, days, and weeks trying to get this to work...then within minutes after I post the question I figure it out...sigh....
    the problem was, the S9 wasn't staying in pairing/discovery mode because my phone was on and it was connecting to the phone.  So by the time Windows would try to find it, the S9 was out of Pairing mode.
    The solution
    1. The download from the Lenovo site worked to update to the Enhanced data Rate
    2. You need to have all other devices that the S9 would pair with turned off so the S9 stays in pairing mode while Windows is looking for it.
    Hope this helps others....

• T60 will not power up (battery status led green, power status led green)

Ok so I have been researching this for a couple days now. Trying various things............
    Including the famous 10 second power button press discharge.........
    Symptoms:
    1st Disclaimer - coffee was exploded all over the laptop but has been running for a month.
    Symptoms:
    It has been working post coffee spill (several weeks ago) as long as you left it running. I get cocky and turn it off then it wont come back on.
    The laptop has exhibited the inability to power on since but I have been able to get it  to turn on several times since.
    green power light comes on with AC adapter only
    plug battery in and the battery light goes green
    press the power button - both lights go out
    I replaced the keyboard, battery, tested for 20 Volts on the AC adapter, tested for 2-3 volts on the CMOS battery.
    I tried testing for 20 volts on the motherboard where the power supply cable connects. I have most of the laptop broke down still.
    I did get it running again last night as a result of me incorrectly using the multimeter and short circuiting the power supply connector .
    It booted up and ran fine and I even tried turning it off and on again several times.
    I thought it might be a heat issue. I turned it off and tried to turn it on this morning and it will not power up.
    Same symptoms as before.
    no battery, only power connected, green light comes on, plug in the battery, battery light goes green, try to turn it on and the lights go out.
    It seems like it is fixable but I am not sure what to look for next.
    Or should I be looking for another system board...........if so what should I replace it with
    This is an IBM T60 Type 2613 15" screen.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Welcome to the forum!
    Your best bet would indeed be a new system board. Any single one from a non-widescreen T60/p will work.
    I've got dozens of them available - send me a PM if you're interested.
    Good luck.
    Cheers,
    George
    In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
    Collecting dust: T60
    Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
    Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
    Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

• Another T60 help thread

Ok, so I have quite a few issues.
    I have:
    -T60 200749U - Windows 7- 2GB - Dual HDD
    -Advanced Dock 2503 - ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Now lets tend to the most annoying issue I have.
     Ever since I got this thing the headphone jack has not worked properly.
    It didn't work when I ran XP, it worked when I ran Vista but only when the switch in the lower left was to the left., now on 7  Ethernet and Headphone ports don't work.
    Anyhelp with this would make me a happy guy.
    The next thing has to do with my Dock situation.
    I got my Advanced dock and installed a ATI graphics card with it.
    Now I installed the driver for the card and Catalyst control center changed the settings in BIOS.
    All is working fine, I have aero and great picture when plugged into the dock.
    Now my issue is that when I am not on the dock I am stuck with Windows basic (which I hate) because I don't have the drivers for the X1300.
    Before I installed catalyst and the drivers for the dock's card I had aero running just fine.
    I found and tried installing the legacy drivers for the X1300 but that has an old version of Catalyst that doesn't support my Dock's card.
    VGA out on the laptop itself no longer works either.
    I have a desktop gadget that recognizes the GPU but windows doesn't
    I have tried everything I can think of and after 5 system restores and a ton of searching I have had no luck.
    Please help.
    I had another question but forgot it.
    Anyhelp is appreciated and thanks to you all in advance.

Please find this thread:
    http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/IBM-T60-video-driver-ATI-Radeon/m-p/6086...
    My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
    Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
    My ThinkPad-Collection

• T60 - POWER FAIL - NO STATUS INDICATOR - NO DISPLAY - HELP !!!

Hello All,
       IBM T60 wont power up - This worked fine the night before. This morning when i connected the power no status indicators on the front panel and on the LCD display when the power button was depressed. I noticed the hard drive power up and the network port showing send and receive lights. There is also light on the DVD drive bay.
    I have checked the power adapter output and it says 20V on the multimeter. Kindly assist.
    Thanks

try to take the ram modules under the palmrest and see whether the laptops beep when you start it without them. 
    Regards,
    Jin Li
    May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
    I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Maybe you are looking for

• Trying to tween a colour change on an mc with AS...

Hi I have a Flash front-end that loads menu data from an XML file, duplicates an empty movie clip and populates a dynamic text field with each menu item mc and then populates the text fields with the text from the XML. With help from others in the fo

• Problem in cfobject timeout

while calling java class in cfobject,getting request time out error.How to increase request time for cfobject(only page level),i used cfsetting to increase but the things are not working.I am using coldfusin mx 6.1.Any help should appriciated

• Display problem in Xperia Z1 and water leak

Hello, I am from india and i own a xperia Z1, last week i got my display changed under warranty because i had a display issue. got it back last friday(13/02/15). Today i did a water proof test and its failed. I recorded the whole thing in video,the m

• How to activate wastebasket service in KW?

Hi Gurus, we are just starting to use KM - i found out, that we can use a waste basket, so that we first can transfer files which we would likt to delete to the wastebasket. Could you please explain me the functionality and also, how we can activate

• Blue Print issue

Hi Guru how to prepare blue print? is it anyone having sample, pls.... regards [email protected]