Oil holes on bottom of t61

Can someone tell me what the little oil holes are on the bottom of my t61 thinkpad? What kind of oil do you put there and what is it for.
I can find no documentation on this.
Thanks.

Everyone know's that you must keep your computer's oil level at it's proper level. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me where the dipstick is so I can check mine!!
7663-A22,T61 14.1 Wide,T7300 2.0gig processor, 4 gig RAM, 500gig Seagate Hybrid HDD, 200gig Ultra Bay HDD, Ubuntu 64 Bit.

Similar Messages

• How do I create a URL from ID to PDF to Entourage?

G5 Mac. Tiger. ID CS 4.
    I'm 2/3 of the way there. The last 1/3 id the hassle.
    I type out a URL in ID 4 and follow this path: Type > Hyperlinks & Cross-References > New Hyperlink from URL. Do Save as... , and have a usable URL link that does not work in ID but does not need to.
    If I then save it as a PDF and open the PDF, the hyperlink to the URL works perfectly.
    If I then place that PDF into an Entourage email, the link does not work, and if I send it to someone, of course it still does not work.
    I want to place a PDF into an Entourage email with one or more URLs that do work within the PDF, not as separate email text.
    How can I do that part?
    Thank you.

Thanks Bob. I think now I have to do it as you say.
    I also found I have to use Mail, not Entourage, if I want to place images,
    PDFs, whatevers, above and below text where I want them. In Ent, they all
    sink like oil to the bottom. Did one Mail test, I had text > PDF > text >
    PDF which looked fine, then I sent it to myself to receive in Entourage, the
    text and images were positioned as I wished, but, in the Entourage window,
    the two PDFs came out rather tiny.
    A step at a time I guess.

• Ipad air wont  turn off when closing cover

my i pad air won t shutt off when closing the belkin cover i bought at sams, i put a 3m screen cover on i pad . noticed it covers small hole on bottom of i pad
    could this be the reason closing cover doesn t turn off i pad

It most likely does not have the magnets in the correct locations so the iPad has no idea when you close the cover.

• 5750 1g any bios fix?

hello there just wondering if there is a bios fix to this card for the vertical lines problem? I been having so many problems with this card since I bought it. The first issues I had was the overheating. I pulled the heat sink and fan off and coated new thermal paste on there everything was fine, but still had vertical lines. Furthermore, then one day another issue popped up, I powered on the computer and got some fast continuous beeps. Once again I pulled the video card again and fan was completely frozen and wouldn't even turn and i couldn't even oil the fan as it was a closed fan no oil hole on back At that point I headed to arctic cooling website to buy a after market cooling solution and junked the fan/sink/shroud it came with. All is well and runs cool under 60c under load now, but I still get vertical lines sometimes. I even have to under clock the card to stabilize it. I am wondering when this thing is going to puke out completely. Right now it runs partially stable at 700/1100, and stock is 700/1150. That's right it won't even run stock speeds anymore! I was going to try out volt changes, but afterburner shows it can't change the voltage of this card. I wish I bought a Nvidia 460gtx. This card is just hopeless. Oh and those wondering if my system is OCed. No it isn't. It's basically in a custom built Quad AMD system with 8gigs ram. Thanks!
    -F34R

It sounds like the vertical lines were caused by damage from the overheating.  Have you considered an RMA to MSI?  Not sure if they'll honour it without the stock cooler, however.

• Kingston twins memory

My ram are Kingston 512MB OC2-4200 CL4 240-pin DIMM Kit (Twins=2 pcs 256 MB).
    I installed 256 MB to DImm 1 and another ram to DIMM 3 and I found that when booting, it shows 256 MB single channel when checking memory
    while 256 MB inside windows xp sp1.
    I thought it should give me 512 MB of memory, isn't it?
    MY SYS:
    P4 3.0HT Prescott 1mb Cache 800FSB
    915P NEO2 Motherboard
    512MB DDR2 Kingston (Twins=256Mbx2)
    128M Galaxy GF6600GT PCIE
    80G SATA WD HDD
    GB CDROM

Yes. There are 4 slot.
    I follow your instruction and I found that DIMM 1 was not functioning.
    Now I am using Dimm 2 & 4.
    When I look at Dimm 1, there are something inside the slot (different from others slots):
    The slot normally have 1 hole on each side with a silver bar on it.
    I found that there is a silver bar connect first hole on bottom of both side
    and the same with second hole.
    Is it the problem causing Dimm 1 not working??

• Adding a 240gig SSD

Hi, this is my first post.
    I want to add a SSD ,im looking at a Kingston 240 gig ssdnow v300 upgrade kit.
    I will still run the operating system with the already 1T hard drive .So the extra SSD will be additional drive to run VSTs for piano which need the extra speed to run smooth.
    Have I got the extra available slots in the Pavilion 500-119 desktop and will the motherboard accept a SSD?
    How easy is it do this upgrade and is there any additional changes I need to make after fitting the extra drive?
    My system is a :
    Pavilion 500-119ea
    AMD A10-6700 APU 3.70GHz
    Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
    This question was solved.
    View Solution.

Daren -
    TWO Part Question and Answer.
    FIRST, Kingston SSD Now v300 240GB (released in 2013) has a SSD Product Page.
    http://www.kingston.com/us/ssd/v
    There are MANY YouTube videos on Unboxing and Installing this Kingston v300 SSD.
    Just use your Search Engine (Google) or Search Function within YouTube (Unboxing Kingston v300).
    http://youtu.be/UDmJcgSpTYM
    Here is the Computer Shopper Review (April 4, 2013):
    http://www.computershopper.com/storage/reviews/kingston-ssdnow-v300-240gb
    ===
    SECOND, your HP Pavilion PC model.
    Here is the Product Support (Internet) page for your
    HP Pavilion 500-119ea Desktop PC
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=6532649
    HP has prepared a number of "How To" (DIY) Guides on that Product Page, such as this one:
    Adding / Replacing Hardware
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=22074&tmp_task=useCategory&c...
    Many of your Answers are found in the Internet information above, provided by HP.
    Let's get down to the potential GOTCHAs :
    1. Your HP computer uses the Jasmine-R motherboard (MSI MS-7778) with six (6) SATA 6 Gb/s internal ports. Nice AMD motherboard, plenty of SATA ports. OKAY to GO.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03757575&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=u...
    2. This is a MidTower case, with the hard drive mounted on a Vertical bracket, on lower left (View after removing side panel). Follow Internet link below, for that How To (open side panel):
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c04100666&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&amp...
    3. IF you desire to Add a Second Drive, in this case a 2.5" Solid-State Drive (SSD), I see three (3) potential location.
    A.) Mounted horizontally, with an adapter bracket in the Area BELOW the DVD/CD drive.
    B.) Mounted vertically, on the lower front panel of the computer case.
    A 3.5" to 2.5" adapter bracket may facilitate this mounting or the raw drive itself (using 4 threaded holes on bottom of SSD) IF the punched holes (ventilation, fan, hard drive mount) line up properly.
    C.) Mounted horizontally on the botton (floor) of the case. Location not suitable in all applications.
    The San Disk SSD Extreme Pro, that I purchased in 2014, had an Rubber spacer/vibration mount that could permit that type of mounting with a contact adhesive. That mounting approach is not appropriate, in all instances.
    The SSD manufacturers sell Kits and Raw drives (Desktop, Laptop) -- so work with your local retail computer shoppe (££ or €€) for an appropriate selection.
    4. REVIEW the available Power Leads (SATA style) for their ability to Reach those 3 mounting locations.
    Extensions are available from Case Mod shops and retail stores.

• Satellite L650 without holes on cooling vent at the bottom

Hello. I need some help please.
    I have this Toshiba Satellite L650
    There is this air vent here which seems to be shut and have no holes in the plastic, is this normal or was it a mistake when they assembled it and i should take it back? I've seen other laptops and they have holes in the plastic there but my laptop doesnt have.. Can you guys post some pictures of your Toshiba laptops so i can compare? Thanks. Here are pictures.
    My Toshiba Satellite L650
    http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/9104/dsc0092111.jpg
    http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/760/dsc009271.jpg
    Some other Toshiba Satellite
    http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7638/29388415.jpg

Hi lolke,
    I can only tell you that friend of me has Satellite L650 too and its the same, no holes on the bottom side. So everything is ok with your notebook, there is no problem!!!
    I assume Satellite L650 as pretty good fan and cooling so the wholes are not necessary.
    Just have fun with your new notebook! :)

• [HELP] T61, red and flashing at the bottom-left corner of LCD.

I only bought this t61 one year ago. The warranty is already expired. :-(
    I found this problem 2 weeks ago. Initially, just a little bit red  showed at the bottom-left corner. Today, it spread to almost half of screen and flashing at same time.
    Dose anybody know what problem causes this?
    how to fix it?
    Thanks  a lot.

In order to better assist you with your issue please provide us with a screenshot. If you need help to create a screenshot, please see [[How do I create a screenshot of my problem?]]
    Once you've done this, attach the saved screenshot file to your forum post by clicking the '''Browse...''' button below the ''Post your reply'' box. This will help us to visualize the problem.
    '''Try Firefox Safe Mode''' to see if the problem goes away. Safe Mode is a troubleshooting mode, which disables most add-ons.
    ''(If you're not using it, switch to the Default theme.)''
    * You can open Firefox 4.0+ in Safe Mode by holding the '''Shift''' key when you open the Firefox desktop or Start menu shortcut.
    * Or open the Help menu and click on the '''Restart with Add-ons Disabled...''' menu item while Firefox is running.
    ''Once you get the pop-up, just select "'Start in Safe Mode"''
    '''''If the issue is not present in Firefox Safe Mode''''', your problem is probably caused by an extension, and you need to figure out which one. Please follow the [[Troubleshooting extensions and themes]] article for that.
    ''To exit the Firefox Safe Mode, just close Firefox and wait a few seconds before opening Firefox for normal use again.''
    ''When you figure out what's causing your issues, please let us know. It might help other users who have the same problem.''
    Thank you.

• T61 - bottom extremely hot when standing idel

Does anmy know why my T61 bottom center / left hand side is extremely hit. The bottom right by fan vents is also very hot.
    Running XP SP3
    T7300 @ 2 GHz
    1.96 GB RAM

Hello,
    on the left bottom center there´s your cpu.  On bottom right is your hdd, sometimes they sound as a vent.
    To measure your temperatures use:
    Tpfancontrol or PFcontrol.
    Please check your power plan, set it to balanced, and if your vents are clogged with dust, clean them.
    Regards
    Andreas
    Message Edited by Agotthelf on 10-08-2008 06:02 AM
    Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter! Try the forum search, before first posting: Forum Search Option
    Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
    I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
    TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.
     English Community       Deutsche Community       Comunidad en Español

• Please help - Totally locked out of T61

Bottom line:
    I am totally frozen out of my T61, stuck at the BIOS. I can apparently do absolutely nothing, including access info on the primary HD or the secondary HD in the DVD slot.
    I now get this error after the laptop recognizes my fingerprint: <Error 0199 - System Security. Security password retry count exceeded>
    The BIOS settings are at the bottom of this post, if that helps.
    The only possible things that I know of that you could use to help me are:
    The Lenovo does actually recognize my fingerprints, which apparently means zippo.
    My two Windows administrator passwords worked find until this locked me out totally.
    I do have hardware so that I can attach these two hard drives to other machines, where I have been able to read/write to these drives, at least until now.
    ===================
    HOPEFULLY RELEVANT HISTORY.
    About a year ago I remember exploring the password functions on my T61. Probably getting too cute. But it never bit me on the butt until now. I am beginning to realize how much I didn't know then, learning today that there are 3 different passwords IN ADDITION to my Windows password. Oops.
    It appeared today that my biometry hardware is getting dicey. Sometimes it would recognize this finger, other times not, sometimes that finger, then not. So I started wandering around in the security part of CSS, trying to see what I would have to do if the biometry froze up on me completely. 
    That is when I discovered that apparently I created a supervisor password. Apparently much worse, at one point in the last 5 hours of trying to figure out what was going on I typed in what I thought might be the correct supervisor password too many times. 
    My backup plan was apparently misguided and has failed - I have a second HD, with one of the partitions a bootable WinXP partition, but when I swap in that one (normally in the DVD slot) for the primary HD, this error STILL crops up and I am still frozen, can't get past the BIOS.
    Smelling possible disaster, I was in the process of backing up all of the data on that HD to the second HD when my machine went into hibernation before it totally locked me out! Agh agh agh. It had filled up about 50 GB, my hope is that what I truly need is now on this secondary drive.
    Rant: I can do NOTHING?! This has totally frozen me out of EVERYTHING? My T61 is TOAST? This is really me, the one-and-only-ever owner of this laptop, probably no one that was stupid enough to try to steal this semi-obsolete laptop could have screwed this up so totally. My incredulity is high. Doesn't anyone remember the reason for the UNDO function, or the purpose for "idiot proof"? I am close to dropping this Lenovo on its head to see if it has a change of heart or giving it ECT treatment, which would be equally helpful, but mostly thinking about buying a different very non-Lenovo laptop, yesterday. If I screwed up once, by thinking that more security was better than less, this machine should be more forgiving than this, especially if it recognizes my **bleep** fingerprint. At least Dell hardware was reliable, even if I couldn't understand tech support. Enough rant.
    ===================
    Any help humbly and gratefully accepted. I'm going to go blow off some steam but keep checking here to see if any kind soul will be merciful. I have just wasted too many hours that I needed to be spending on getting ready to teach on Monday. If I need to bail on that ****** laptop totally then it would be very helpful not to pour more hours down this rat-hole.
    Thank you,
    - Befuddled, with blood pressure rising
    =====================================
    Using passphrase          ENABLED
    Supervisor password    ENABLED
    Lock BIOS      ENABLED
    Set min. length  12 characters
    BIOS password at unattended boot      ENABLED
    Power-on password     ENABLED
    HD1 password             User+Master
    HD2 password             Disabled [this is my secondary HD in DVD slot]
    Password reset  service            ENABLED
    Status               IN PROCESS
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Well I have a lot of success to report and a big mystery still unresolved.
    I'm typing from my Lenovo!! I'm able to get into Windows, access all information (fingers crossed) on my hard drive, and found out that I had succeeded in backing up most of my important information to that secondary drive.
    Before I reply to and digest your last two posts I need to take a sharp detour to want to make certain that I have successfully backed up everything off of my primary HD, and then I will come back here and report. So it will be a while until I post again, maybe even a few days because I have to catch up work that didn't happen today.
    But I wanted to let you know what happened and what worked.
    ==================
    This is how I succeeded in getting into my system.
    First and possibly most importantly, I was documenting every step that I was taking in order to report in here, and so by doing that it occurred to me, "Why this step?" and not another.
    These are the steps that I recorded in order to show that I kept getting to this 0199 error no matter what I did.
        > Turned on machine normally
        * It prompted me to "swipe finger to authorize access"
        > Swiped finger
        * It showed and skipped the 'power on' and 'hard drive' passwords, since I had successfully figured those out
        * It shows me a nasty looking screen saying:
              ERROR: 0199 System Security
              security password retry count exceeded
        * Press [F1] to get into setup utility
        > I press F1, get into setup utility, which is a total dead end where I can affect *nothing*
    If I then reboot the whole process recycles
    What I did that got me out of this mess was to press <Esc> instead of [F1]. It occurred to me that I didn't have to press F1.
    Eventually, once the system got through some momentary confusion, mostly based upon the fact that the secondary drive wasn't hooked up, I got into Windows.
    ==================
    So I am going to log out for a while until I feel reasonably secure that I have backed up my data. I will come back here to follow up, because I don't think that this 0199 error is going anywhere.
    Also I think that I hit "this resolved the problem" by mistake a second ago on your last post. If I did then that was a mistake, because it would be better to do that for whichever one of these posts would point people best in the right direction. Would you help me out with that? Since you are the moderator you will have a better sense of that.
    Of course it depends on how you define "the problem"! Getting back into my data, programs etc. certainly does seem like the real success. But this 0199 error is a real problem.
    Should I split off a different thread about the 0199 error?
    =================
    All of that said, hip hip hooray!
    After a touch of exuberance I will get my nose back into the tedious work of backing up my machine.

• How to stop hard disk noise on T61

Hello everyone,
    I have a T61 and everything works well except the hard disk which is constantly working. The result is a gentle noise on the bottom right
    of laptop, always present. I used to have a T42 which when configured on XP to turn off hard disk (through power management), completly turned it off. I could then read or write long open files with a completly silent laptop (used tpfancontrol for controling fan, but this is not the problem here) until I save document or explcitly trigger the hdd (a completly silent laptop is a delight!).
    The noise of the present T61 is bearable, a kind of a whisper, but once it stops it gets really better for your ears. My problem is that the power manager (set to turn off disk after 3 minutes) works, but something is constantly accessing the hard disk, which prevents the power manager to turn the HDD off. So, sometimes it happens that after 3 minutes the HDD stops, and a hsort time latter, say 15 seconds, it turns on again because "something" used the hdd.
    The worse is that, most of the time, the hdd is triggered prior to the 3 minutes, so that it keeps always running!!
    I can see this as the hdd green light flashes.
    This is always the case, with or without internet, AC or DC.
    I tried to stop some services (including indexing), but I stopped looking because of the number of services to check!
    How do I know what service/program is being written on hdd at the specific time where I notice it, or makes it work, such that I can possibly disable it?
    This is maybe a XP SP§ issue I think, but I think many here have noticed this constant activity on lenovo´ T61?
    Any advice on possible strategy to find out who write what on the hdd or other solution?
    I really plan to fix this problem because the T61 as it is now is really good (with however minor problems),
    and i think many of us should benefit from this issue..
    xtex
    Message Edited by xtex on 09-01-2008 10:55 AM
    T61, UZ2AQGE 2.5 Ghz, XP Pro SP3
    T400s, NSF20UK, 2.4 GHz, SSD 128 GB, Vista B

I would say it´s quite impossible on newer systems, to get the harddrive off for more than a few seconds.
    Many user have tried that, but no one had success.
    Another, but little dirty, possibility is, to take some piece of rubber or something and put it under the palm rest where the hdd is.
    But beware, there is a little hole in hdd that have to be open to get some air.
    This dirty trick will lower the permanent sound of your hdd.
    Greets.
    Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter! Try the forum search, before first posting: Forum Search Option
    Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
    I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
    TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.
     English Community       Deutsche Community       Comunidad en Español

• How do I Find/Set/Change a Bluetooth passkey on a T61 laptop with the Lenovo US/Eng Vista OS image?

I purchased a T61 two years ago. It came with the Lenovo Vista Ultimate OS, US/English.  The T61 has Bluetooth, which I never used until now.
    I try to pair a cell phone and a PDA (both Palm devices) with the T61, and the devices ask for the T61's Bluetooth Passkey. I don't know what the passkey value is, nor do I see anywhere to set, change or enter it.
    This is how I know the the Bluetooth device driver is working on the T61: 1- The BT icon shows in the taskbar, the BT controt panels open, and even in Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Bluetooth Devices, the phone name shows up. And strangely enough, at the bottom of the control panel, when the phone is listed (is discoverable), it shows "Paired: Yes", "Authenticated: No", attached image shows these values.
    I'm stumped. Where do I lookup, set or change the T61's Bluetooth passkey?

Unfortunately that is not working. I've tried 0000, 000000, 00000000, 1234, and 123456 as the keys.  No popups, no response whatsoever on the T61. 
    The devices seem to wait some timeout period and then a message "cannot connect to T61...". I don't have the exact message here in front of me, but can get it if need be.

• Faulty/stuck power button again! Who was the genius that located the ear-jack hole with the "Liquid Contact Indicator" at the top of the iPhone, so perspiration can accumulate and void the warranty

My Power button is stuck again...... like many, many other owners....like two of my previous iPhones.  According to the Genius at the Genius Bar in Reno, Nv., my warranty is void because the LCI which is located in the ear-jack hole on the top, has come in contact with moisture/humidity/sweat.  My iPhone has never been dropped or wet. My iPhone4s is in pristine conditon and is in great working order except for the "stuck" power button, but because of a poor quality and location of the ear-jack hole, my warranty has been voided. Everything I have is Apple.  The Rep/Genius in Reno while fullly aware on the chronic power button problems, tried to put the stuck button on  an exposure to moisture. He said, "It doesn't matter if mositure didn't cause the button to stick or not. Your warranty voided because of the Liquid Contact Indicated turned color. Of course, the "power/sync" hole LCI is perfect.  Thank you Apple! I think I'll refuse my iPhone5 delivery on Friday and go buy a "Droid" phone.
    Hey, who out there wants to buy my new iPhone5 when it gets to me on Friday???

Thanks for your reply. I too would not rule out moisture damaging the power button, but ...
    I guess was being too subtle. My points are:
    1. "Stuck" power buttons is a known issue/problem and Apple has been dealing with it since the first iPhone. This is quality problem. The evidence is with other users all around us and all over the web.
    2. The "sweat" issue is a design problem and should've been addressed long before the release of the iPhone5 in a few days.  Yes, they moved iPhone5's  headphone-jack to the bottom/underneath of the iPhone. To say that the "sweat" issue is the users' fault is like saying, Apple iPhones should only be sold to swine or other mammals without sweat glands. We're talking about as little as one drop from someone's temple running down the headphone-jack opening while one is engadged with a phone call.  That's all it takes to change the color of the LCI.
    3. Also I wanted to make my complaint public on this forum and not Facebook,  hoping to both, not only catch the eye of an Apple lurker, but let others know of the danger of speaking on their iPhones while out in the sun, high humidity or driving a car with the top down....... my point being, even the free AT&T Go Phones have protection against the slightest elements.
    4. I paid close to $700 for this iPhone4s 64G less than a year ago.  I don't like being dismissed with a cut and dry, cookie-cutter answer from a 20yr old without reasonable explanation and then be shoo'd out the door. "Next?"
    5. I love Apple products and I'm glad the new release has addressed the jack/perspiration problem although I know there were other factors involved in the decisions to not move/move it.

• T61 32-bit XP to 64-bit Win8 - general approach that may work for other models

I recently tried to upgrade my T61 from 32-bit to 64-bit Win 8 using the $39.99 download.
    DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME TRYING THIS, IT WILL FAIL.  HOWEVER, IF YOU PURCHASE THE $69.99 VERSION WITH BOTH 32-bit AND 64-bit MEDIA YOU CAN DO IT (no downloadable 64-bit ISO to burn your own.)
    Lessons learned:
    1. Although not "spec"ed officially, a T61 will take 8 GB of RAM (2 x 4 GB modules).
    2. The $39.99 download gives you the version you have - if 32-bit, it is not smart enough to ask you if you want 64-bit.  After 2 hours of download and install, you will end up with 32-bit Win 8.  Therefore, bite the bullet and buy the $69.99 hard media once (time *is* money).  You can buy additional $39.99 upgrades on-line - all you need is the  serial # to use with your original "hard media" - it can be used with either the 32- or 64-bit.
    3. The actually ugrade went much better than expected.  By going from 32-bit to 64-bit I got a clean install.  Win 8 had drivers for virtually all devices except one - the SIMM stick driver for the Ricoh 4-in-1 card reader.  This was identified after floating the error code out on Google.  See the following to tell you what device(s) is (are) missing  - www.pcidatabase.com
    4. I usually partition my disk into C: (active), D: (disk image and data back-up , internal), and E: (utilties and OS ISO's to do an internal restore).  I always clone all 3 partitions to an external drive incase of complete HD failure.  This became essential after one trial instal of Win8 32-bit (before I figure it out), I ended up with CHKDSK's in XP on virtually every reboot with no errors found ??!!  In other words, assume nothing...
    5. The new version of System Update 5 is of virtually no use for a T61 - the only driver/utility identified was Active System Protection for 64-bit.
    6. So what is the alternative to System Update?  There are several device driver updaters out there - like Slim Device, Driver Doctor, Driver Reviver, Driver Genius, etc., etc.  I ran several and they seem to find most of more specific drivers.  Just remember some drivers are 32- or 64-bit specific, others one driver works for both.  In general Win 7 drivers will work for Win 8 (or so I understand).
    7. Fixing the Metro UI, no Start Button / Start Menu problem.  What can I say, I hate the new UI - I am a developer/statsitician and have work to do.  There is an answer - a "shell" that can immediately replace the Start screen  with a Desktop, Start button, and Start menu of your choice of styles Win 2K, XP, and on.  There are several of these.  I have used Classic Shell (classicshell.sourceforge.net).  There are several others.  Is it perfect? - no, but I now have a functional system that I can use all 8 GB, loads relatively quickly (faster than 32-bit XP with 3 GB of RAM enabled out of 4.)
    8. Older software *does* work.  I still use Office 2003, SPSS 12, Stata 8, and contrary to MS' effort to get you to the latest Office, for my purposes, these are compatable.
    9. Would it work for the T4x series?  I don't see why not.  As I mentioned, the included driver database seemed pretty functional.  The real question is whether the Pentium M series is compatible; you'd have to try.  I do know that MS tried to tell me that the Core Duos in the T6x series were not, but that is why I gave up with MS support after hours on the phone (again, time *is* money).
    Bottom line - once again MS rolls out an OS with no clue.  On the other hand if this if Win 7.5 and is relatively stable, then it just might be worth the effort.
    Good luck!

More details:
    When attempting recovery, the exact error message is: "The recovery attempt has failed. Select one of the following buttons: Save Log, Details, Retry". Save log supposedly saves the log to a USB stick, but the file (HP_SSRD_LOG.CAB) is only 2 KB and doesn't want to open as a CAB file. Retry just starts the hours-long process again - with the same result.
    Clicking the "Details" button gives me a log (CTOERROR.flg):
    [ 2:08:20.17] ChkErrBB.CMD :  Detect some error during PININST_BBV.
    [ 2:08:20.17] ChkErrBB.CMD :  Check c:\system.sav\logs\BurnBootWarn.log
    [ 2:08:20.17] ChkErrBB.CMD :  or, check c:\system.sav\logs\BurnBootMerge.log
    How's that for most useless log entry ever? Especially since c:\system.sav seems to be a hidden directory, and the Notepad window showing the current log won't display hidden files... and when I pull out the hard drive and inspect the directory structure, there aren't any files by that name...
    There is, however, a BurnBootMergeBBV1.log file, containing a couple of interesting lines:
    [ 2:04:45.80] 3C12 Factory Update CD for Microsoft QFEs Installation for Windows 8 Launch Fixes Installation State
    [ 2:05:49.65] KB2750945 install fail, ERRORLEVEL=-2145124329
    [ 2:05:49.65] Result of the 3C12 Factory Update CD for Microsoft QFEs Installation for Windows 8 Launch Fixes
    RESULT=FAILED
    Standard Error information...
    Standard Out information...
    Result=FAILED
    No idea if that's related or not. I'd still like to try updating the BIOS; if anyone can create a USB thumbdrive with the BIOS on it (using a Win8 machine) and post the files it contains, I'd really appreciate it.

• T61 - how do I find my Windows XP Serial on a reformatte​d machine?

Hi Guys,
    I've totally reformatted my T61 due to being hit with malware/spyware that pretty much rendered my laptop useless.  This was the second time I've installed Windows using a legit XP disc I had for my desktop, but I used the serial number for that one and not the one on the recovery partition (which I've since wiped).
    The good news is that I have copied the recovery partition over to my USB drive and should have all of the tools needed to rip a DVD. 
    All I really need to do is find out my WindowsXP serial number so I can input it and be done.  I don't want to bother with reformatting for a 3rd time (long story) since getting my laptop just over a month ago!  The current version I have is an OEM verison and appears to have restrictions on it with the number of times it can be installed.
    Anyone have any suggestions?  Will Lenovo have this on record?  I have a gut feeling that calling up Microsoft will be useless.
    Thanks!

The factory install used a volume license number that is used on many thinkpads. You will have to have an OEM XP cd to use that number or the one on the bottom of your thinkpad. A retail cd probably won't accept the number.
    T60 2623-D7U, 3 GB Ram. Dual boot XP and Linux Mint.
    T400 2765-T7U Windows 7
    Registered Linux User #160145
    FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo

Maybe you are looking for

• HT1338 mail wont work since update

My mac did an update for iphoto and since then my mail wont open it says that this version of mail wont work with this system and to use the mail icon located in applications tried that and it still wont work HELP!!!!

• USB device drawing too much power error message

When I try to plug my iPod into my computer to charge or update my music, I get an error message that says, " Because a USB device was drawing too much power from your computer, one or more of your USB devices have been disabled." I've tried this whi

• PSE 11 is unresponsive after Mavericks

PSE 11 has become very slow, sometimes unresponsive, after installing the new OS X Mavericks. Any ideas?

• Coesistence ORACLE 9i and 8.1.7 on solaris 8 help!!!

Hi, i 'm tryng to install oracle 9i r2 db server on the same sun sparc computer where a previous oracle 8i db server insist . The 9i OUI deinstalls the oracle 8i JRE and installs the new JRE, in this way the 8i loadjava doesn't work, because the refe

• Transport KE30 reports between operation concerns

Dear all, I have a problem with the transport of some profitability reports between 2 operation concerns. The reports are confirmed and approved in the first oc, but there's still a dummy copy of these in the second oc. So here's my process... I set