Overheating of my T60

I experience the overheating problem with my T60 and it has been for two and a half year.
It is really true to say that my laptop can never be placed on my lap.
I use  CPUID Hardware Monitor to check and obtain the following horrible data.
CPUID Hardware Monitor 1.1.0.0
Mainboard Vendor    LENOVO
Mainboard Model        2007CA5 (0x182 - 0x40FE55)
Hardware monitor
ACPI hardware monitor
Temperature sensor 0    97C (206F) [0xE76] (THM0)
Temperature sensor 0    96C (204F) [0xE6C] (THM1)
Dump hardware monitor
Hardware monitor
Intel Core Duo T2400 hardware monitor
Temperature sensor 0    94C (201F) [0x6] (core #0)
Temperature sensor 1    96C (204F) [0x4] (core #1)
Dump hardware monitor
=============================
Hope that there's really someone to help me. thx

If your laptop is still under warranty, send it in to be looked at...
If not, open up the machine, clean the fan and heatsink with compressed air. Replace the fan assembly if needed.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Cheers,
George
In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
Collecting dust: T60
Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

Similar Messages

• T60 Thinkpad overheating

Am trying to order a fan for my laptop - it's 3 years old - was very expensive.....T60 model......all of a sudden it's overheating and shutting down......I have repeatedly called the 800 numbers for IBM in the U.S. and have gotten a runaround for days now......all I want to do is order a fan for my computer.....one 800 number won't give out part numbers any more -as of 3 weeks ago ...told me to use the Lenovo website.....did that- impossible to navigate to find a FAN   ........the other 800 number (sales)you get someone in the phillipines or somewhere - and they say they don't know the numbers of parts - and when I gave him a part number - and asked him if that was the correct number for a fan - he said he had no idea......and we got disconnected.....
    Am totally frustrated......it seems as if they want you to buy a new computer...making it very difficult to find parts...
    FYI - I took this problem first to a reputable IBM dealer in NYC and they told me they would fix it - but I would have to order the part - it would be "easier".....
    So - HELP!!! please - if someone knows the fan number for an IBM T60......it's the part in the upper left of the motherboard.
    thanks

blindump wrote:
    I had the same problem with my 3 y/o T61. Take a bottle of compressed air and give *both* fan areas a good blow. They are located on the side and back of your laptop. This did the trick for me.
    what you are doing is only a temporary fix, if you want to clean the fan assembly properly you would need to take off the palmrest and keyboard and blow out the dust from inside to outside. What you are doing is just loosening the dusts and blowing it back to the innards of the laptop, if the dusts settles on your electronics and water condenses on it (due to rapid temperature change in a humid environment, i.e. going from un-airconditioned area to an air conditioned), then it may cause a short circuit, which is something you don't want.
    So if you want to clean the laptop properly, you should open the laptop up and clean the dusts off the laptop motherboard and use the compressed air to loosen any dusts, and use a microfibre or cotton tips to clean the dusts off the fan blades. This will ensure that laptop will maximise its service life, and you won't experience any electronics problem as it ages.
    Regards,
    Jin Li
    May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
    I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

• T60 overheating / adv. minidock without working dvi

Hello,
    I have 2 problems with my T60 and with an advanced minidock.
    1) If the CPU runs on 100% the cpu temperature reaches 95°C. It does not matter which energie mode I use ( power-saving or maximum performance). I installed the latest updates with the system update tool. At this time the only way is to keep the cpu load minimal or only for a short time at a higher level. I hope the reason is only a wrong fan control firmware.
    2) I attached a 17" via DVI with minidock and connected the T60. I see the bootscreen vom Win XP/Vista and linux but after that the TFT stops sending signals. The light on the TFT indicates that. I tried to switch between alle display modi (mirrored, extended) without success. I don't think that it could be a hardware problem, because I see the OS-logos clearly.
    Do you have any ideas how to solve my problems ?

@Joscha,
    I had thought you have cleaned your vents already before posting you have a faulty machine.
    Please check this video guide for opening your system and take a can of compressed air and blow from inside to outside.
    Also you can use a vacuum cleaner, for the first aid. Otherwise you´ll have to send it to depot for cleaning purposes.
    Message Edited by Agotthelf on 03-01-2009 09:58 AM
    Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter! Try the forum search, before first posting: Forum Search Option
    Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
    I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
    TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.
     English Community       Deutsche Community       Comunidad en Español

• Thinkpad T60 overheating

I have a T60, type: 2623-D4U.  I want to replace the cooling unit, but when I look at the FRU list,  there are 4 different FRU-#'s.  How do I tell which one I need.?
    41V9931
    41W6406
    41V9932
    41W6407
    thanks.!!
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Welcome to the forum!
    41V9932 is the correct FRU number for your T60's replacement fan.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    George
    Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

• T60 KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

Hello,
    I've got an 8'ish year old T60 with all original components except the fan. I've been getting a KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR for about two years now. I understand it's typically due to a failure of the HDD or the hard drive connecting cables. In more rare cases it can also be a memory/processor/motherboard. It's annoying, but manageable. Sometimes it happens 3 times in two hours... actually it just restarted on me in the middle of typing this! Other days it doesn't restart for days. But it has gotten progressively worse.
    I've run memtest to check the RAM - no problems. I've ran multiple HDD tests - no problems. I've run disk repair utilities - either no problems or it reports it fixed all issues. The CPU temperature never rises above 73 degrees, and it rarely goes above 65 degrees, so overheating is not an issue. My total available HDD memory has not decreased at all (still at the original 88.2GB), so it doesn't seem like an imminent HDD failure. I've had no noticeable data loss. Sometimes when it restarts it launches the disk repair utility, does the repair and then boots fine. Other times it gives odd messages, like there is no drive to boot from, or a fan error, but after a reboot there is no issue.
    With the experience of the T60 users on the forum, I wanted to ask, am I looking at a HDD failure, or a HDD connector cable failure?
    If the HDD fails, my plan is to purchase a HGST Travelstar 7200rpm SATA III 32MB Cache 1TB.
    If the cable fails, I have no idea if it's possible to replace.
    I routinely backup all my data, so that's not an issue. So far this is more of a nuisance, but it seems to be getting worse by the week. Any thoughts?

Hello.
    This definitely sounds like bad sector issues on your HD, and since it's been going on for a
    long time, it's way past due to swap it out. In a T60, there is no cable, the SATA port is directly
    attached to the motherboard, and if this was a failure in the soldering, you'd have much more
    serious issues at hand.
    Have you checked your drive for bad sectors registered in the SMART data of the drive itself?
    Running all kinds of tools to repair it, including chkdsk only blocks those sectors, which will
    continue to multiply after repairs. This is only a certain grace period you get when they start
    appearing and a drive swap is absolutely recommended at the first sign of such failure.
    The fastest way to view the SMART data is to fire up a Linux LiveCD and view the HD status
    in the Disk Utility there, or you can use f.e. this tool in Windows. There are many others.
    HDTune
    Give it a whirl and see if your problem doesn't lie in a rapidly deteriorating drive.
    ThinkPad W540 (20BG) - i7-4800MQ/24GB // ThinkPad T440s (20AQ) - i7-4600U/12GB
    ThinkPad T440p (20AW) - i7-4800MQ/16GB // ThinkPad Helix (3698-6EU) - i5-3337U/4GB
    ThinkPad W520 (4282-W4Q) - i7-2720QM/32GB // ThinkPad T400 (2767-W1C) - P9500/8GB
    ThinkPad T61 (7665-CTO) - T7700/4GB // ThinkPad T60p (8741-C2G) - T7400/4GB

• Screen goes wacky after possible overheating

I recently updated my phone to iOS 8.2 (I didn't skip any versions, I was just lagging ~2 months behind on downloading 8.2). Soon after (though I'm not sure it's related) -- within a week -- my phone got really...wonky. I have a YouTube/video link to showcase my issue. It seems to happen after several minutes of use. I will then set it down for several minutes and it works fine again.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WNWURn5UXQ
    I was using the GPS for directions on vacation and it would get really crazy on me and I'd place it in front of the vent blasting air conditioning and it would quickly become responsive again. Either I looked like a loony putting my phone in front of the vent and it happened to "come to"...or it may be an overheating issue. However, when I leave my phone in the car on a hot day and it "overheats" it displays a message warning about temperature and will not respond or work until it cools. I have not been receiving any sort of message since having these issues.
    The phone has been kept in an Otterbox since day 1 and there was no "event" that seemed to cause this issue (no drops, water exposure, extreme temps, etc.). It was a very humid day and it was in my pocket while I worked out with some noticeable sweat on the screen (with screen protector), but it wasn't until ~10 hours later in the day sitting in my room with no apparent cause that it got freaky on me.
    Does anyone have experience with a similar issue or recognize this? I don't have Apple Care, I got the phone in 11/2014, and I don't have an Apple Store near me. I feel like once it's diagnosed I could go from there...but I really don't even know how to research the issue.

Well, IBM/Lenovo was replacing motherboards in T4x/R5x series, no questions asked, within warranty, which was three years standard for most units at the time.
    However, experience has shown that most of the T4x units suffer this problem as a result of physical strain on the chassis, namely holding the laptop with one hand with the LCD open. That's why one has to handle these units carefully, and buy them from someone whose user patterns they know.
    To put it this way: I own several units that belong to the series deemed to be problematic because of the GPU isssue, and they're all on 24/7 without a peep. This list includes T41 (ATi Radeon 7500) as well as T42p and R50p (both with ATi FireGl 2).  All of these are out of warranty, but have been acquired from original owners with known user habits. For this reason alone I've paid a premium price for each and every one of them, although none could be deemed perfect in any other respect. Caveat emptor applies. No eBay-originated T4x/R5x machines in this house, unless accompanied by IBM/Lenovo factory warranty.
    Furthermore, if you start researching any laptop model (apart from possibly ToughBooks) on the Web, you'll find out that every single one of them has some type of a design flaw, some are just scarier than the others.
    Good luck with whatever you choose to do. 
    Cheers,
    George

• What am I missing? (overheating, fans, tpfancontrol)

Situation:
    I have three T60 laptops. I will henceforth refer to these at T60-A, T60-B, and T60-C
    T60-A is a 14" version, and is working fine.
    T60-B is a 15" version who's hard drive died. I'm trying to install a new hard drive. This computer works fine with the hard drive from T-60-A, but overheats and shuts down. This is the one I want to fix. This is the one I'll mostly focus on.
    T60-C is a parts computer with suspected bad motherboard. It is also a 15" model and has been taken apart as of yesterday, fan extracted.
    T60-B overheating symptoms: 
    She runs warm (by feel directly under the fan on battery (from T60-A) power. She runs HOT with power supply (also from T60-A) plugged in, and shuts down after a time. No fancy graphics programs running. Just Google Chrome. 
    I can hear the fan running, and feel hot exhaust coming out. In looking at the intake and exhaust, I seen no visible dirt/dust/spilled drinks that would block the ports. My initial plan was to replace fan with that from T60-C, but at this point, I'm not sure that's the problem, and might do more harm than good. I'm not adverse to performing this opweration though. Fan is loud, but not the sort of 'fan going bad' loud. It's seemingly just working really hard.
    Any suggestions on starting points?
    TPFancontrol problems:
    I figured this would be a helpful diagnostic tool.
    I downloaded the program, extracted the files (using T60-A again, being the only reliable computer). But I can't for the life of me figure out how to install the program. I found the .exe, but get error. winio.sys is missing in app folder or failed to load.
    Any thoughts or recommendations on a different download that might work?
    Sorry if these are the most basic of questions. I did search here and forums.thinkpads, and I'm still stuck.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hi.
    What are the 7-digit type/model numbers from the back of each laptop? This will aid further discussion and the referencing of part numbers.
    If the fan in "T60-B" is making any abnormal noise it means it may not be giving optimal performance. It could probably still use a fresh cleaning and lubrication even if you don't see any obvious buildup of dust or particles. In addition, the thermal paste (a.k.a. thermal compound) between the heatsink and CPU may need to be refreshed. The thermal compound aids in heat dissipation. Use a good quality product such as Arctic Silver 5, which always works great for me.  
    Have a great day. (I do not work for Lenovo)

• T60 (XP) overheats after a few mins!!

I bought this T60 ( XP)  Thinkpad in Hong Kong in 2007. After using a couple of months, I started having the overheating problem till now. I only run a couple things at the same time but the overheating problem still exists, and it makes my machine just shuts down by itself or hanged there. I have done test on the Bios and all that but unable to find out the root cause. A laptop cost US$2000 is functioning like this that really makes me get so disppointed and frustrated! Appreciated if someone can let me know how to get this problem fixed.

Hi melittlebee,
    make sure your vents are clean. Use a can fresh air ot blow the dust out. It may be nessesary to lift up
    your keyboard.
    Please, what in detail are your temperatures?
    Some people claimed after XP SP3 more heat dissipation.
    Greets
    Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter! Try the forum search, before first posting: Forum Search Option
    Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
    I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
    TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.
     English Community       Deutsche Community       Comunidad en Español

• Uhoh, ever have leftover parts you don't know what to do with? T60 SNAFUzaX;

Well... I was cleaning dust out of the inside of my beautiful T60  (the fan kept overheating) and like an idiot there is now a piece of laptop guts attached that I cannot find the home to! Have taken a picture, below. It is roughly L-shaped with stainless steel clip and screw hole on one side & black plastic with a black squishy "eye" looking thing that is soft plastic covering something magnetic (my mini philips screwdriver got attached to it) - maybe a heat sensor? It is attached to the left side under keyboard by a brown & white thin braided set of wires...
    It seems like it should go over the fan, or under the keyboard, or under the bottom plate under the nav pad, but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere without creating a big bump!
    I'm just wondering can somebody please please tell me where that stupid L-shaped plastic thing attaches to??? I know that's a lot to ask but I'm asking if you're willing, then maybe send a pic? Help!
    Thanks in advance T60 Guts!

here:
    not the greatest quality, but I"m using a trackpoint to draw haha
    T61 15.4" T9300 (2.5GHz 6MB L2) Windows 7 Professional x64 4GB Memory, NVidia Quadro NVS 140M

• T60 keeps turning off from time to time

Hi Guys,
    I was wondering if someone could help me with my problem.
    I have Lenovo T60 here and it is turning itself down every 1-2 days, sometimes 2 times a day.
    The same thing keeps coming with the following things:
    Dockingstation + power adapter
    Dockingstation
    Without the dockingstation and power adapter
    Without the dockingstation and without the power adapter
    The Laptop is not overheated nor is it related to any specific acitvities, it also happens if i leave the Laptop and come back a few hours later with no workload.
    It does not shut down, it just simply turns itself off and it does not say that there was an unexpected reboot or that the system did not boot correctly and so on....
    Its quite a strage issue, i hope that someone can help me with that.
    Best regars,
    Tim

Type 2007-63G
    S/N * 06/11
    I have not tried to update the bios image. I will update it and well, lets see if it will change something.
    Moderator edit: Masked serial number to prevent mis-use.

• T60 Resurrecti​on

Good day everyone:
    My T60 Thinkpad recently had her last hoorah after 5 years of our love/hate relationship. Specifically, the hard drive is dead as a door knob. As a little background info, I can only access the the beginning of the ThinkVantage page and cannot even get to my back ups to restore her to its original state. (I mention this in case anyone has been in a similar situation and the laptop is beyond repair.)
    I have been going back and forth on whether to buy a new desktop or laptop and i decided to buy a desktop and repair the T60 to keep both sides of my brain happy. I am not an expert at laptop experimentation and would like the community's input is my best course of action.
    These are the two choices I am looking at to upgrade the HDD and Ram, respectively:
    HDD:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8​2E16822148591&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle​...
    RAM:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8​2E16820134770
    I want to ensure that these two products will well work together and if there is anything else that must be upgraded in order to keep the bloody machine from overheating. I am open to all advice. Thanks in advance!
    Cheers

I agree with the Hybrid drives. The idea is to get the best of both, speed of an ssd, and secure cost effective storage of a platter drive, but it seems like you get the vanishing data of an ssd and the speed of a platter drive with the added bonus of having it randomly hang and do nothing at all for several seconds at random times. Reviews are mixed though, so it seems some users find them to be of value. I think the best option for a T60 is a real SSD, and Intel is about the only manufacturer that makes them that don't fail more often then traditional drives, then you can put a platter drive in your ultrabay for storage. The SSD will give you some fast virtual memory to help make up for only being able to use 3GB of ram... but unfortunately you'll only get SATA1 speeds. It is possible to put a T61 board in a T60, that could get you 8GB of ram and SATA2. Some modification would be required.
    ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)

• Unable to see T60 on my network

I see others have reported a similar problem but none of the remedies work for me.
    I have a T60 and a Z61t.  Initially, neither one could be seen on my network but they could see the other PCs.
    On the Z61t, turning off the Network Security settings in Access Connections resulted in it working.
    That did not help the T60.
    I have tried every combination of Network Security settings including unchecking Network Security.
    The problem exists even without McAfee Security installed and with Windows firewall turned off.
    All PCs can ping the T60 just fine and vice versa.
    The T60 can see all the other PCs and access their shared drives.
    It can access the internet and my email servers just fine.
    The results are the same for the wireless and ethernet connections so it must not be a hardware problem.
    In other words, the T60 appears to work just fine from its point of view.
    When I say "cannot see" I mean the other PCs do not see the T60 in My Network Places -> Workgroup
    and Explorer -> Find-network-computer cannot find the T60 by name.
    All the PCs are in Workgroup = WORKGROUP according to their System Properties dialogs.
    I figure something in the ThinkDisAdvantage must be intervening some place... but what?
    It acts like a total firewall block on inbound traffic.
    I have literally hundreds of hours invested in the configuration of the T60.
    I am beginning to think my only hope is to pitch the factory load and install XP from scratch (or sell it).
    This is by far not the first problem I have had with the Lenovo add-on software hosing things.
    I keep thinking I'll finally get over the last hurdle.
    Does anyone have any other ideas I might try or things to check?
    I should add that the T60 and Z61t both have the client security chips disabled and both have
    fingerprint readers that are not configured.  I am using standard logon accounts.
    I do not know enough about how IP works to have any idea how to diagnose what might be blocking it.
    Thanks.

Finder > Applications > Launchpad.
    Drag it to the Dock.

• Is your computer overheating?

My computer went down the other day, simply a black screen, no warning, no messages, just black. After a lot of messing around and diagnostics it turns out my computer was overheating.
    An overheating or border line overheating machine can result in lock ups, slow downs, and unexpected reboots. To find out if your CPU is too hot you'll need the "hardware monitor" that comes with your motherboard. There are also plenty of third party programs which you can run.
    The next question is "how hot is too hot?". Intel CPUs display one of two numbers... an absolute temperature ~or~ a thermal margin. The first is self explanatory but the second can seem confusing. The Margin indicates how many degrees remain before the CPU is critically hot. So the bigger the margin the safer you are.
    Remember that modern computers conserve energy when idling, so run you most intensive application for 30-60 minutes and keep and eye on your temperatures. Conventional wisdom indicates you want your mobo and CPU less than 60°C (140F). Any higher and damage to one or the other may result. Intel has specific details on each CPU including its thermal maximum on this page, click here. Most modern CPUs give you a thermal margin which removes the guess work.
    Tip... if your hard drives are too hot to keep your hand on for any period of time then you have excessive heat build up. Ensure hard drives have one drive bay gap between it and anything above it. Or use a case with hard drive cooling fans (see below).
    If your board and/or CPU are running too hot you should consider a well ventilated case. I am now using the Antec 900 (click here) which has four over sized fans plus the fan in your PSU making five total. The 120mm BIG BOY (their words not mine) is placed directly above the CPU keeping it super cool.
    Hopefully these tips will help those users experiencing weird hang ups and crashes.
    Tip... if your temperature is good but file access is slow and you get lots of blue screens then there may be a chance your hard drive is about to fail. Make sure to run a check disc or similar application. And always make frequent backups!
    Original Post on my Blog: http://gmckinney.blogspot.com/2008/09/is-your-computer-overheating.html

>Gordon McKinney:To find out if your CPU is too hot you'll need the "hardware monitor" that comes with your motherboard.
    I use the Intel supplied monitor (in the Intel Desktop Utilities) on my DG965WH motherboard with a Q6600 CPU and 8GB RAM, but I've found a problem when using it in Vista Ultimate 64.
    Apparently the monitoring functions interrupt the mouse hardware (maybe all hardware for all I know) and cause random and temporary mouse pointer freezes that can last for a random amount of time--averaging around a second. The mouse pointer will catch up, but the interruptions really create havoc when using any mouse oriented program--particular LR2.1 and local corrections.
    My solution is to run the Intel Desktop Utilities when I wish to check the temperatures--only a couple of times a day as I've never found them to be within 20 degrees (C) of a danger point--and then immediately kill iptray.exe.
    Intel doesn't say IDU works in 64 bit OS versions, but I get the same readings with it in Vista 64 as I do in XP SP2. However, it doesn't have the mouse freeze problem in XP so I could leave it in a monitoring state.

• Windows 7 randomly locks up on T60

I have had this T60 for over a year. It came with a clean install with Windows 7 Professional.  Over the last 3 weeks it has started locking up randomly.
    Powering off/on seems the only way to bring it back.
    I've been getting the family to tell we when it happens and what they were doing at the time. No patterns. It happens when they're browsing or using MS Outlook or playing games. At its worst one might only get a few minutes before it happens.
     Mr. Google offered some solutions:
    update BIOS
    scan for adware, malware, and viruses
    make sure all devices in device manager
    run a registry cleaner utility
    run ThinkPad system update
    check if graphics drivers up to date
    Run Microsoft memory diagnostics test.
    Updating the BIOS seemed to solve things for 2-3 days and then the lock ups came back.
    So did running ThinkPad System update, but eventually they came back after a day or two.
    There were no ATI graphics drivers for the T60 and Windows 7
    Currently the machine is locking up about twice a day and it is being used intermittently for about 2 hours each day. 
    I'd do a clean install but I don't have the Win 7 discs and there is no recovery partition as this is not the original HDD.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    T60 Tablet; T60 Widescreen; T60; T40; 701C; 3 x Apple Newton MP2100; 2 x HP 200LX
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Fredie5 wrote:
     i had similar issues of Windows 7 locking and freezing. Researchng on the issue, i found this could be because of registry errors. An article, ascribing solution to this issue, suggested Registry Recycler to repair and defrag registry, helped me breaking the locks. Got my system performance revived !!
    Thanks for the heads up Fredie5, great little program! 
    My older Toshiba laptop started to lock and freeze for no apparent reason.  Windows logs and events showed no indication of the problem and the lock/freeze occurred at random times with no pattern.  I ran across your posting and decided to give Registry Recycler a try.  Bingo, problem solved!  My best guess is that a few weeks earlier I had been trying out different drivers as well as a couple of software applications.  Remnants left behind by their uninstall was most likely the culprit.  Thanks again ! 
    Owner & Operator of the following:
    ● Lenovo Ideapad Z570 w/ Win 7 & Win 8.1 Dual Boot ● Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro w/ Windows 8.1 ● Toshiba A75-S206 w/ Win 7
    ● IBM Thinkpad T-23 w/ Win XP ● IBM Thinkpad T-22 w/ Win XP • As well as multiple desktops dual/triple booting XP, Vista and Win 7.
    ★ Find a post helpful? Thank that member by clicking on the ☆Star☆ to the left awarding them a Kudo.
    ★ Posting a problem and a reply is helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"
    ★ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks. Enjoy your time here, pay it forward by helping others !
    ★ Sorry, I don't answer questions via Private Messages. Posting in the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

• K7N2 Delta Overheating

I have the K7N2 Delta board (rest of system specs are in sig) and after about 45mins-1 hour of gaming, my system locks up and resets.  After lock up, if i go into bios, my sys temps usually read about 59-64 degrees celcuis.  I was having this problem with the stock fan/hs, so i bought the Volcano 12, figuring that would solve the problem.  Didn't, only gave me about 1hr-1 1/2 hours before lock up at lowest RPM setting (2100), and only about 10-15 mins longer at highest RPM setting (about 5600).  I have the same problem when I run 3d 2003 test, it goes through the first set of tests fine, but when I get to the first CPU test, my system locks.  
    My idle temps on the CPU are about 45-52 degrees celcius, case temp is in about 38 celcius.  I read in other posts that it could be due to TOO MUCH thermal goo on the chip, but how do I know how much is too much?
    Aside from overheating, what else might it be?
    If I leave my system idle, it can go for days with no hint of a problem.  It's only when I start gaming (America's Army, UT 2k4 demo, BF1942) that I get problems.
    Also, I ran memtest, RAM is fine.

Wonkanoby:  Ya, I know I need new RAM, but I'm on an incredibly tight budget now, so it's gonna be a while till I can afford some (basically, I haven't had a job in 8mths).
    DeathStalker:  I tired what you said, opened up the side of my case, put a Vornado house fan on high speed facing my mobo, and the temps did drop quite a bit (with HS/fan @5600 RPM and idle CPU=41celcius, Sys=28celcius.  @2100RPM and idle CPU=44celcius, Sys=34celcius).  I decided to run the 3dMark2003 this way, with HS/fan @5600 RPMs, and I got through the first CPU test, but then they system crashed again.
    So it seems that the extra cooling helped, but still wasn't enough.
    Any suggestions on how to cool my system with out putting a house fan in there?  I already have 3 80mm fans (1 front bottom intake.  1 top exhaust, 1 rear exhaust).  I have room for 2 more 80mm fans (1 front bottom intake, 1 rear exhaust), but I don't think that would help cool the CPU all that much, would it?  I thought the TT Volcano 12 would help with cooling a lot, but it has only provided marginal imporvements.
    Also, could it be that I am overstressing my RAM, and that is why I'm having these problems?
    Open to any suggestions.

Maybe you are looking for