Partitioning 320GB in T60

G'day,
I'm a new subscriber, with limited pc knowledge and expeience.
I had trouble with my T60 (Type 6369 - A56) supplied 120GB drive.  Lenovo sent me a Rescue and Recovery CD with six Product Recovery CDs.  I fitted a new hard drive (WD3200JBKT - 75F4T0)  and restored it to the original factory contents following the instructions that came with the disks..  I will fit the original drive into a case and copy across only the data I really need and then use the 120GB drive as a back-up. 
Before going any further I would like to partition the new drive so I can separate programs and data.  During the installation from the Lenovo disks I had no opportunity specify any partitions.  Can anyone advise how best to go about it and advise on a suitable partition size for the C:\ drive, please.
I understand I should defrag the disk before I attempt to partition it.  Does the Diskeeper Lite pogram do a good defrag?  Would I get a better result from UltraDefrag?
Thanks,
John.

You can spend money on PartionMagic or use FREE GpartD LIVE which is 90% equivalent and perform your partition resize operations. ( Go Use Google to find them)
It goes w/o saying but you better backup the data you consider invaluable from the disk before partition resizing, the risk of losing a parition is about as low as dying in the middle of tonsils surgery but it does happen and the resultsw are profound when it occurs.
You have to be familiar with burning ISO files into CD's or at least have a Floppy drive / USB floppy drive or writable CD when using Partiton Magic.
Regarding how to spec your OS partition, examine the current size and allocate an additional amounnt of free space  to include your systems MAX RAM regardless of your currently installed RAM since you may upgrade in the future
Also, another equivalent  amount of RAM for free space on the same parition for your hiberfil.sys if you hibernate your T60.
Next, add approxmiately another GB of free space for software installs, Microsoft Service Packs and Windows Update rudely ignore your systems %temp% variable and will sequester temp space at %systemdrive% (C:\..for most people) for temporary download and expand space when you run Windows update from their website or if it runs itself.
ServicePacks can be launched with flags to redirect their temp space to another partitoin but I'll assume you aren't comfortabloe with swtiches and avoid the tutorial.
You can always resize if you run out of space on either partiton and consider the following tips:
1. Multiboot systems can use the same pagefile.sys on any partition since only one OS will be running at a time and if your system is configured to keep permanaent swap space on the HDD with numerous OS's, then just set every kernel to the same location to avoid wasting gobs of space on multiple pagefiles. The Pagefile can be relocated, I haven't learned of a method to relocate hiberfil.sys
2. New applications considered crucial to your professional and personal life should be the only ones installed to the c:\ partiion since that partiiton may have to be hastily backed up and restored to a different hard drive or entirely diffrent PC.  If the OS requires applications installed on an unrescued partition then the recovered system may not boot and is the same thing as a family evacuating ship but leaving crucial siblings behind to sink.
3. Forget the defrag, the catch22 of defrag is if you use spindle based drives, the peformance advantage gained by defragmenetation is constrained by your 5,400 or 7,200 RPM platters on spindles.
If you're using SSD's and their blazing I/O, you never defrag since you're shortening the lifespan of the disk and SSD's just don't need defragmentation since the super performance more than compensaetes for any trivial latency of seeking your scattered data.
4. Relocate your %temp% variables to the new data paritions to help skinny out your C drive, RTFM to learn how and query for other techniques to skinny out your %systemdrive% such as relocating all of those HotFix unisntall directoreis from %systemroot%.
Don't just sit there, take a second and use the Kudo's button to compliment the people who help you.

Similar Messages

• Can you access all of your HD?

Can you access all of your Hard Drive when you got 2 partitions of mac and windows 7?
    I was wondering if i could access some files from the mac side of the partition, for instance big files that are used in some programs, because the window partition might be small (40 GB)
    I heard you can access every part of the hard drive when boot in mac, but can it be the other way around? i'm not saying to install applications or anything, its just files, for instance doc, or installation files on the mac partition

I agree with The hatter.  I like the Paragon HFS drivers for WIndows, and their NTFS Drivers for MacOS.  The native drivers in Snow Leopard or Lion give you read only access to NTFS volumes, and the Boot Camp drivers from Apple give our Windows install Read Only access to HFS+ partitions.  If you want to be able to access the whole drive from either OS, then I think the Paragon drivers are the answer.
    I have a 500GB drive in my MacBook Pro, partitioned 320GB for Lion, and about 175GB for Win7.  I keep my Thnderbird email profle stored on my MacOS partition, and no matter which OS I boot I can have full access to my local mail archives.

• Macbook pro raid0 + bootcamp?

hi,
    i have a project of installing a software raid0 on my MBP.
    i know how to instal a second HDD (replacing the DVD player)
    but i'm not able to find anywhere if it's possible to have a raid0 and still use bootcamp.
    i'll be my first time with raid so i don't know all the detail but the idea i have in mind is:
    1 HDD of 500Gb with 2 partition (320Gb + 180Gb)
    1 HDD of 320Gb
    use the 2 320Gb partition to form a raid0 for OSX and use the 180Gb partition to instal windows
    does this make sense?
    it is possible?
    do you have any idea of the performance of the RAID in this configuration?
    thx

Just got a 13 inch MacBook Pro (Early 2013 Version).
    Bootcamp installed without any issues.
    Windows 7 defaults with Display scaling set to "Larger" 150%, and this gives a slightly fuzzy appearance.
    From my experimenting, I would suggest the following instead:
    Set above setting to Default (100%).
    Run the MBA screen at 1680 x 1050. This is one of the Windows 7 good settings for the MacBook Retina, and scales nicely with minimal fuzziness.  Both LabVIEW front panels and diagrams are very readable and editable at this setting.
    For Pixel Perfect reproduction, you must run at either 2560 x 1600 or precisely half of this, i.e. 1280 x 800. 
    If you have the eyes of an (NI) Eagle, the 2560 x 1600 is a beautiful pixel perfect screen, but stuff is small.
    But, with an external 1920 x 1200 external 24 inch screen, you get a nice size diagram, but the best is with a 27 inch 2560 x 1600 external screen,which has very editable and readable LabVIEW Diagrams, and is also pixel perfect.
    So my recommended LabVIEW setting for the Mac Retina machines would by 1680 x 1050 for the 13"  Laptop display (1920 x 1200 for the 15 inch laptop (although I haven't tried the 15 " with this setting)  and the 1920 x 1200 for an external 24 inch or 2560 x 1600 for an external 27 inch.
    Of course, you can also add an additional external screen via Thunderbolt port # 2, also up to 27 inch / 2560 x 1600.  And if you really want to "pig out" you can throw a third HDMI screen on the HDMI port.
    Happy Wiring.   
    Carsten

• T60 upgrade from 60GB SATA to 320GB HDD

I know just enough to be dangerous, so please bear with me.
    I have a T60 1953-D7U with the original Toshiba 60GB SATA/150 HDD that is out of space.  I used Norton Ghost to copy the 60GB drive to a Fijitsu 320GB SATA/300 HDD that was in an external USB enclosure.  Both are 5400 RPM.  I copied the MBR.
    After I installed the 320GB drive, the T60 doesn't boot.  Using F12 to pause the boot process, I see the 320GB drive listed but apparently it doesn't appear as a boot drive.
    Is there something else I have to do for the T60 to boot from the new drive?
    Note:  the SATA controller Mode Option is set to "AHCI".  The other option is "Compatability".   Does this have anything to do with it.
    Add'l Info:  Originally I tried to copy the 60GB to the 320GB using Acronis True Image v7.0 that was on a bootable CD.  Acronis gave an error msg E000101F4 No Drive 0 Found.  It did see the USB attached 320GB drive.  That's why I switched to Ghost.  Is there any problem using Ghost for this copy?
    Many thanks for your time.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Here’s my original problem.
    I have a T60 1953-D7U with the original Toshiba 60GB SATA/150 HDD that is out of space.  I used Norton Ghost to copy the 60GB drive to a Fujitsu 320GB SATA/300 HDD that was in an external USB enclosure.  Both are 5400 RPM.  I copied the MBR.
    After I installed the 320GB drive, the T60 doesn't boot.  Using F12 to pause the boot process, I see the 320GB drive listed but apparently it doesn't appear as a boot drive.
    Andy was absolutely right.  The primary issue seems to be that the New Drive(320GB)  MUST be in the Lenovo Laptop when you’re doing the copy of the Old Drive C:\ (60 GB) to the New Drive and building the Master Boot Record (MBR).  My C:\ is now up and running on the New Drive.
    In my case, I gave up on the SERVICEV001 partition.  I never could get it copied.  I believe it’s for reverting back to your original configuration in case of a total disaster.  Since my T60 is 5 years old, I'll buy a new PC if that happens.  I’m running XP SP3 and use Norton Ghost v15.
    This email is to thank those that helped me and help the next guy who might try this.
    I’m sure there are many ways to accomplish the task, but here’s what I eventually did.
    I removed the T60 from the Docking Station.  I have too many USB External drives to keep the drive letters straight.
    I used Norton Ghost to do a new full backup of the Old Drive C:\ and SERVICEV001 to a completely different USB attached Portable HDD. 
    The New Drive was attached via a USB Enclosure.  I used Windows Computer Mgt/Disk Mgt to format the New Drive with Partition 1 as 293GB NTFS and Partition 2 as 5GB FAT32.  At that time, I still had hopes of saving the SERVICEV001 partition.
    I installed the New Drive in the T60.  I removed the battery while doing so.
    I used a Norton Ghost Symantec Recovery Disk (SRD) to boot.  Then I used Ghost SRD Recovery feature to restore the Old C:\ (Source) to the New Drive Partition 1 (Target).  In Ghost, the parameters were Set Active = YES, Copy MBR = Yes.
    That’s about it.  OK, that’s about a half days work, so what did I do the other 4+ days.  I wasted a couple of days before I posted to this Board and got Andy’s reply.  And I wasted a couple of days trying to save SERVICEV001.
    In the meantime, I learned quite a bit.  My suggestions:
    Read Andy’s email above and the references he cited. 
    Practice with Windows Computer Mgt/Disk Mgt to understand Disk 0, 1 and Partitions 1, 2 etc.
    Practice with DOS C:\ DiskPart and how to list Disk and Partition info.
    Copy C:\boot.ini to a flash drive and read the following post from the Norton Board.  You probably won’t need it, but you’ll know about it just in case.
     http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Ghost-copy-my-hard-drive-issues/td-p/385934/hig...
    5.  I used a Norton Ghost Symantec Recovery Disk (SRD) to boot.  I worked for me.  I used the Recovery function to restore the C:\ drive on the New Disk.  I also used the Ghost Utilities Partition Table edits frequently while trying to copy SERVICEV001.  Spend time understanding the Ghost SRD capabilities.
    A note about the ThinkVantage software.  I love it.  I would never be able to keep my laptop current without it.  My next laptop will likely be a Lenovo because of the ThinkVantage software.  I did, however, discontinue TV Rescue & Recovery and switched to Norton Ghost.  Two things.  One, I just didn't feel confident that I knew where my backups were.  i.e. Not particularly user friendly.  And, two, a couple of years ago it was incompatible with some of the other TV software unless you went through a conversion process.  Everybody has a choice.
    Many thanks for your help.

• T60 HDD res. partition, USB ports and DVD-RAM drive no longer recognizing data/media!

I have a base installation of the IBM T60.. I made no modifications to the setup or configuration of how the HDD is structured nor have I downloaded and installed any strange drivers... only automatically downloaded drivers from Microsoft update and manually downloaded driver updates from the Lenovo website.
    One day everything was working fine.  Next day, my USB devices, reserved partition (can't remember what this is called) and the DVD-RAM drive stopped working but power was still getting to these devices.
    My DVD-RAM drive is seen as a DVD-RAM on first bootup.  When I insert a CD or DVD media in the drive, the Explorer tree changes DVD-RAM to CD-ROM in the Explorer (really strange).  It behaves like there is no media in the drive.  Cannot boot with that drive either.
    In addition, I have external USB HDD and Flash drives as well.  None of them work on this T60 anymore.
    When I plug in an external USB HDD or Flash drive, I get "not formatted" error message and a prompt to format my drives?!
     I tested these USB external drives on a desktop machine and verified that they are working 100% fine.  So the problem has something to do with my IBM/Lenovo T60.
    It almost seems like something broke on the motherboard perhaps?  I downloaded and installed the latest BIOS updates as well to no avail.  Please help.  Thanks in advance for your time and consideration of this issue.
    Message Edited by bodmaster on 07-18-2008 09:51 PM
    Message Edited by bodmaster on 07-18-2008 09:52 PM
    Message Edited by bodmaster on 07-18-2008 09:52 PM

Anyone have any ideas?  *praying*

• Partitioning an External 320gb drive for use with Time Machine and...

I want to be able to use my Western Digital 320GB external drive for use with Time Machine and to use as extra storage space on both my Mac and when I boot into Windows Vista.
    Is this possible?
    I was playing around in Disk Utility and would I partition the part I want to use for Time Machine with the Mac OS Journaled, and whatever I want as space for windows, use a MS - DOS format?
    Has anyone done this before?
    Cheers-

Unless you are using 64 bit version of MSWindows (64 bit XP/Vista), it won't be able to handle a disk with GUID partition table (GPT). Disks with Apple Partition Map (APM) or GUID partition table are the only ones that Time Machine will work with (not MBR disks). Note also that the MBR/APM/GPT are at the DISK level and not the partition level, so don't mix the format with partitioning scheme. Time Machine disks are meant to live in the Mac universe (for now, anyway) and sharing with the MSWindows 32-bit universe is not possible.
    See http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=macpcdiskdd06sv8.png for some additional background.

• CD partition of 320GB External USB Drive - PX1267U-3G32 does not run

I have an 320GB external usb drive, which has been working perfectly.
    There is a security partition that appears as a CD drive in My Computer and runs the password programme automatically when the drive is plugged in.
    Having entered the password the external hard drive appears as a drive in My Computer.
    This security programme has stopped running.
    I have turned the drive on/off.
    Tried it on a different machine.
    Tried to 'Autoplay' the CD drive.
    Double Clicked the CD drive only to be told to "insert a disk into drive F:"
    Is there a way to bypass this partition and recover all my data from the hard drive?

Hello
    Several times I saw how it works because a friend of mine has this external HDD. I do not have much experience with it but before you wait here for comments try to install REGEN software again. Maybe it will help. This software and CD Update Application you can find and download from Toshiba support page http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com
    Check it under Options > Drive Devices.

• How to find windows version in recovery partition T60

My T60p is running W7.  But I don't recall if I upgraded it from XP.  I want to reload my operating system because weird things are happening.  But I don't want to go back to xp.  So, how can I tell which operating system is on the factory recovery partition?

you can't change the content in the Lenovo recovery partition. But windows can allow you to create a similar sort of recovery partition that contains the current windows 8.1.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/creat​e-usb-recovery-drive
    Regards,
    Jin Li
    May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
    I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

• EISA Recovery Partition

Hi Guys,
    Upgraded my T60 HDD from 60GB to 320GB. I backed up a copy of the preload partition and the recovery partition via Acronis True Image. I then formatted the 320GB HDD to  3 sections, SYSTEM, DATA and left about 6GB for the recovery partition. I recovered the preload partition to the SYSTEM partition of the new HDD and the EISA partition (to the 6GB space). My computer booted up but the recovery partition doesn't seem to be working... On the startup screen I pressed the Thinkvantage button but the recovery interface is not showing up... I even tried F11 and still does not work. What did I do wrong?
    Thanks!
    T60-2GB RAM-320HDD- XP PRO SP3 || Dell D620-2.5GB RAM-320GB HDD-XP PRO SP3

Hi Guys,
    Upgraded my T60 HDD from 60GB to 320GB. I backed up a copy of the preload partition and the recovery partition via Acronis True Image. I then formatted the 320GB HDD to  3 sections, SYSTEM, DATA and left about 6GB for the recovery partition. I recovered the preload partition to the SYSTEM partition of the new HDD and the EISA partition (to the 6GB space). My computer booted up but the recovery partition doesn't seem to be working... On the startup screen I pressed the Thinkvantage button but the recovery interface is not showing up... I even tried F11 and still does not work. What did I do wrong?
    Thanks!
    T60-2GB RAM-320HDD- XP PRO SP3 || Dell D620-2.5GB RAM-320GB HDD-XP PRO SP3

• Win 8.1: Reset vs Install on partitioned drive (XP- upgrade 8- upgrade 8.1) now need clean install

This is a little complicated.
    I have a Thinkpad T-60 (4GB) and a T-61p (8GB)
    Both machines have SATA drives partitioned in 3 (System, Images, Data)
    Originally, both had XP (the T-61p was RAM upgraded to 8 GB before upgrade (remember the $50 early-bird special?)
    I upgraded the T60 without problem (as I recall).
    I had to get the 64-bit physical upgrade as you could only download the version you already had (32-bit; remember that disaster?) for the T-61p.
    Figuring I had 4 GB on the T-60, I used 64 bit as well, ending up with only 3 GB active.  I take it this was a waste and should have just used the  32-bit, right?
    I clean installed (as I recall) 8.1 using a generic 8 key (right?) and then an 8.1 key (right?, or is that an 8 key that will still activate 8.1?)
    So here it is 3 years later +/- and both 8.1 installs are pretty trashed so...
    I downloaded both the 8.1 32-bit and 64-bit .iso's
    I have my serial #'s
    I tried a Reset on my Server last night (whole disk, no partitions) - it worked, and gave me an option to wipe all disks, or just the C: system disk (which I did, others intact). It is fine, all settings gone, no trash.
    Now the question is what will happen with my partitioned drives. I want a clean install on the C: partition, and D: and E: left alone.
    Will Reset trash all the partitions and load the entire disk? (NOT what I want) .. or ..
    Should I use the Install option? (which I assume will go through the partition manager) and allow me to clean install on C: only.
    Lastly, if I have read correctly, there is no point in putting 64-bit on the T-60 (4 GB) as all you end up is 3 GB active anyway, so I should go back to 32-bit and avoid the 64-bit headaches?
    Thanks!!!

Hello qudrcps,
    About the ThinkPad T-60 can’t only recognize 3GB ram, please take a look the follow thread.
    http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/T60P-Windows-7-64-bit-only-using-3-GB-of-RAM/td-p/377623
    Intel Chipsets 945GM and 945PM do not support more than 3GB system memory (RAM), even when a 64-bit operating system is installed.
    Please contact the  manufacturer to confirm if the laptop support 4GB ram.
    Please note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Please explain a bit about other requirements.
    What do you mean about the physical disks 0,1? Do you have several disks?
    About reset the Windows 8.1, please refer to the following article.
    How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-HK/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc
    How to perform a clean installation of Windows
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-HK/windows-8/clean-install
    Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN
    Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

• Unable to split the only visible partition (C) on a fresh system - 4 primary partitions

Hello,
    tl;dr I am probably stuck with 4 primary partitions (two WINRE, EFI, and C), and unable to split C on a fresh system installation from HP DVDs.
    320GB HDD has failed on my G6 2233 HP laptop. I've mounted a 500GB replacement, and done the following things:
    installed Windows 8 from the HP System Recovery DVDs (provided by HP, not recorded by me, fresh installation)
    removed the recovery partition with HP Recovery Manager
    installed all Windows 8 updates, and HP Support Assistant updates
    upgraded to Windows 8.1
    installed all Windows 8.1 updates, and HP Support Assistant updates
    Went to the system partition tool, to see 4 primary partitions created...
    At this point I was unaware, this may be an issue. I've tried to split C as seen on the image. Wasn't able to set desired values (max value was to about two of equal size, due to ummovable files), but that was nothing new for me - on the previous 320GB HDD I've ran into the same issue, as I could (but COULD) do two about 14xGB partions.
    Here I've wished for 120GB and 344GB.
    Anyway, even with various values I've got an error on the next step, claiming that there is no room on the HDD.
    Then I've decided to try EasyUS software, as it helped me in the past.
    First screen is without any action (there is a bunch of weird partitions there, all created by HP software/OS).
    I could choose to decrease the partition size, but option to create on from the unallocated space was not active.
    I am confused. If I am not mistaken, I should not remove the two WINRE and one EFI partition, but I either convert C to logical partition (have no idea how, this option is not active on EasyUS (could do that on my USB HDD drive), or remove one or more of the other primary partitions.
    Even if I will find a way to convert C to logical, is that safe, and should I after D is created return C to primary?
    I've tried to play safe, and let the HP/OS software do the job, and they left me with 4 primary partitions...
    OK I've found the guide which sadly does not seem safe... Any other ideas?
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/How-to-repartition-HDD-of-HP-notebook-with-...
    Unfortunately they seem to habe different names... Probably are doing simmilar things, but could someone just point out is the EFI partition HP Toolls as mentioned in the guide etc.
    I guess I should, after installing Windows 8, and removing the recovery partition, create a new partition then, and upgrade to 8.1... Would solve many issues, however I am not sure it would work, and really, do not want to waste two more days on this...
    This question was solved.
    View Solution.

Hi @IgiveUpOnHP ,
    I grasp you are having an issue with partition the drive.
    Windows only ever allows 4 primary partitions because the word primary is only applilcable to the MBR partition tables which only allow for 4 partitions.   You can have extended partitions.  Here is a link to Partitioning and Naming Drives (Windows 8)   as a guide.
    Good Luck!
    Sparkles1
    I work on behalf of HP
    Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
    Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

• Windows 7 randomly locks up on T60

I have had this T60 for over a year. It came with a clean install with Windows 7 Professional.  Over the last 3 weeks it has started locking up randomly.
    Powering off/on seems the only way to bring it back.
    I've been getting the family to tell we when it happens and what they were doing at the time. No patterns. It happens when they're browsing or using MS Outlook or playing games. At its worst one might only get a few minutes before it happens.
     Mr. Google offered some solutions:
    update BIOS
    scan for adware, malware, and viruses
    make sure all devices in device manager
    run a registry cleaner utility
    run ThinkPad system update
    check if graphics drivers up to date
    Run Microsoft memory diagnostics test.
    Updating the BIOS seemed to solve things for 2-3 days and then the lock ups came back.
    So did running ThinkPad System update, but eventually they came back after a day or two.
    There were no ATI graphics drivers for the T60 and Windows 7
    Currently the machine is locking up about twice a day and it is being used intermittently for about 2 hours each day. 
    I'd do a clean install but I don't have the Win 7 discs and there is no recovery partition as this is not the original HDD.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    T60 Tablet; T60 Widescreen; T60; T40; 701C; 3 x Apple Newton MP2100; 2 x HP 200LX
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Fredie5 wrote:
     i had similar issues of Windows 7 locking and freezing. Researchng on the issue, i found this could be because of registry errors. An article, ascribing solution to this issue, suggested Registry Recycler to repair and defrag registry, helped me breaking the locks. Got my system performance revived !!
    Thanks for the heads up Fredie5, great little program! 
    My older Toshiba laptop started to lock and freeze for no apparent reason.  Windows logs and events showed no indication of the problem and the lock/freeze occurred at random times with no pattern.  I ran across your posting and decided to give Registry Recycler a try.  Bingo, problem solved!  My best guess is that a few weeks earlier I had been trying out different drivers as well as a couple of software applications.  Remnants left behind by their uninstall was most likely the culprit.  Thanks again ! 
    Owner & Operator of the following:
    ● Lenovo Ideapad Z570 w/ Win 7 & Win 8.1 Dual Boot ● Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro w/ Windows 8.1 ● Toshiba A75-S206 w/ Win 7
    ● IBM Thinkpad T-23 w/ Win XP ● IBM Thinkpad T-22 w/ Win XP • As well as multiple desktops dual/triple booting XP, Vista and Win 7.
    ★ Find a post helpful? Thank that member by clicking on the ☆Star☆ to the left awarding them a Kudo.
    ★ Posting a problem and a reply is helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"
    ★ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks. Enjoy your time here, pay it forward by helping others !
    ★ Sorry, I don't answer questions via Private Messages. Posting in the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

• Restore the hard drive to the factory WinXP OS image - T60 1951-A31

I'm trying to restore the hard drive to the factory WinXP OS image on a number of 1951-A31 ThinkPad T60. 
    Found these instructions in the trouble shooting guide:
    1. If possible, save all your files and shut down your operating system.
    2. Turn off your computer for at least 5 seconds.
    3. Turn on your computer. Watch the display carefully. While the message, “To interrupt normal startup, press the blue ThinkVantage button” is displayed, press the ThinkVantage button. The Rescue and Recovery workspace opens.
    4. Click Restore your system and follow the instructions on the screen.
    The problem is that Restore your system does not appear.
    I found a thread on Thinkvantage  looks promising:  No Restore Option
    The thread has this:
    04-03-2009 12:55 PM
    kamszelei, welcome to the forum,
    from a lurker 
    which version of Think Vantage System Upate do you have installed?
    If you have version 3.13.0009 installed please try the following; boot into Windows and run TVSU.  It'll update itself, restart, then update itself again. Hopefully the option to recover to factory content will then be available to you.
    Please also check the following registry key; HKLM\Software\Lenovo\TVT Common
    If the "System Type" key is 1, change it to 0. If it is already set to 0 don't change anything and let us know
    Unfortunately my Thinkvantage update system is saying it cannot connect because it is not running
    Here are my questions about ThinkVantage:
    How do I get Thinkvantage update to run?
    How do I find the version number for Thinkvantage
    How do I "boot into Windows and run TVSU
    My other question is this:
    Can I simply buy the backup DVDs with the original XP?
    Thanks
    (mod edit: fixed broken link)

You need to have a harddrive installed that contains the original system restore partition, many people delete them because they are redundant and use up space and after a while, most of the content is outdated, meaning it will install 4-5yo system and software that you'd only want to replace or update anyway. I prefer to install from a windows setup disc, but you can buy the restore sets, it's a set of 7 or 8 CDrom, not DVD discs. Lenovo sells them I believe, or if you can find someone willing to copy a set and send them to you, it would save you some money. I can tell you that if I had a several of these to do, I'd much rather use a single windows setup disc, preferably one with the latest service pack and updates, so I'm done after a few mins and one disc, opposed to installing many discs, changing from one to the other, then in the end downloading and installing service pack three, then a few dozen hotfixes, it could turn into hours of work on each unit, but if you want them with all the preloaded software, then that is the only way. Good Luck
    ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)

• Windows 7 driver support for T60(p)

Hello all
    Im a happy owner of a Thinkpad T60P, 2007-8LG model. However, im getting much tired of Windows XP and want to use the upcoming Windows 7 OS, but im a bit unsure if there will be any driver updates for the T60 models.
    I've seen the Windows 7 beta drivers page from Lenovo, but this only includes drivers from T61 and up. Can anyone confirm that there will be drivers released for T60(p) models as well (or in case the product line is ditched).
    Thanks in advance
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Nocture,
    I have a T60p (8744-J2U) with Windows 7 (Build 7229) runing very very happily. I have 4 GB installed. All the key drivers you need have been released and should work fine on your system.
    If you want a super clean install, refer to my post on  Device Driver Installation Order thread.
    Also, if you want a really stable laptop, DO NOT UPGRADE. Backup your system and data, VERIFY IT and then delete the partitions during install and let Windows 7 partition and format the drive.
    Pierre

• Data loss Lacie 500GB external drive_ disk utility changed partition!

Details of problem. I have a 500GB Lacie mini hub HDD which is used with an iMac angle poise. Recently it has been playing up- unable to access folders/files etc. and since I know the PSU fails on these items (capacitors fail -5V and 12V go haywire- already fixed another one - I have a 320GB with a mac mini setup) I removed unit from the imac and connected in place of the 320GB lacie on the mac mini, using the known good PSU. The iMac is running latest 10.4 and mac mini is running latest snow leopard 10.6.1
    The Lacie spun up and mounted OK and I was able to access all files folders with no issue, so since I was keen to make sure it was 'fixed' I ran disk utility. It ran and said it verified and then I realised I hadn't run repair so re-did this. Big mistake!
    It did the same run and said no problems found, but it then said something like updating partition! Horrified I waited and it seemed to finish or had finished straight away. Not sure. I looked at folders and yes main 2 items in place, but nothing showing below this. ****. It got worse. I ejected and tried to reconnect and low and behold it says drive needs formatting now. Disk utility even shows this 500GB as having 2.2TB of space, which I see in other posts is another issue.
    I have important data backed up elsewhere, but there are a large number of files I do not have copies of and suspect there is a way to recover these. I have since seen all the 'data loss' guest account issues and wonder if this is yet another bug in snow leopard.
    Have tried running Techtool Pro 5.0.6 to see if it can see the data but its not seeing anything. Will try Diskwarrior and others, but may well shelve to see if apple gets an os update released for data loss issues.
    Any thoughts on how to recover? Anyone with a similar issue? I am pretty certain this is not a failed hard drive as it sounds 100% normal. Thanks for any help or guidance.

Thanks for all the comments recieved. V.K. made me re-evaluate what I had proved or not. I was fairly certain (not 100%) that the drive mech was OK, because the psu had failed, but should have proved drive mech was actually OK. So I removed the mech (as USB abd firewire can't do SMART etc.) and hooked up to an old G4 Powermac. I then found that the SMART verified, but had forgotten the 128GB limitation on older macs. So removed and got a PC to hook it up and run latest IBM_Hitachi drive fitness and other diags. (its a Deskstar HD and I have had almost zero issue with these drives over the years.) It checks out fine, so I was correct in my initial thoughts, only the PSU was faulty.
    So back to my initial suspicions that Snow Leopard or disk utility has screwed things up, maybe a bug, maybe not. And I did run verify first and it said it was OK, only when I re-ran the repair did it then do a "partition update" (or whatever it said - should have done a screen capture - searched apple but can't find listing of all mesgs avail. must be in developers site I expect). So I am back at looking at how to recover, if at all possible, but as Alsoft have said this is not something Diskwarrior can do directly. Files must still be there just partiton map is now in a ... needs to be initialised mode. Not that I will do that.
    So I guess summary is possible bug/funny in 10.6 and/or disk utility.
    sounds like I will be contacting Alsoft now
    may read up on partition map damage first, so I get a better picture of whats involved.
    Cheers and thanks for all the help/ideas.
    BTW - been using macs_pcs for decades now and helping friends & family fix things as and when. This is first time needed to post on forum as always found answers to questions I had previously. Must remember the old adage of not jumping onto new technology until it has bedded down I bet if I had hooked up to the old G4 Powermac I wouldn't be in this position. Thanks again.

Maybe you are looking for

• Why does my Itunes no longer recognize my Iphone 4s?

Just recently my Iphone (when plugged in to my Windows PC) does not show up on my Itunes. An "IPHONE" tab used to appear in the corner next to the "Itunes store" tab after i connected it, but now not any more. It does still charge my Iphone and when

• Struts tag for request.setAttribute() in a jsp page

Hello All Does anyone know struts tag that can be used for request.setAttribute() in a jsp page? Thanx in advance.

• SAVING GOOD FORUM ANSWERS TO YOUR COMPUTER

EMAIL SYSTEM REFERENCED IS OUTLOOK 2003 1)   CLICK- OPTIONS-EMAIL TO A FRIEND 2)   EMAIL IT TO YOURSELF-IN PERSONAL MESSAGE AREA ADD A TITLE THAT REFLECTS SUBJECT MATTER 3)   GOT TO YOUR COMPUTER EMAIL SYSTEM-IN MY CASE OUTLOOK 4)   EMAIL WILL BE FR

• Upload BLOB through Handheld application

Hi, I am developing NW Mobile Handheld application with 7.10 SP10 IDE. I want to upload an image and send it to DOE. I have created a model in DOE and imported the same in NWDS. The data type for the attachment attribute generated is BLOB as expected

• Email not printing on d110

my printer did not come with a usb cable.  therefore during setup using the cd i could not connect to the d110.  is this why i cannot print emails?  otherwise, d110 prints fine wirelessly.