Possible firmware problem leading to bricked fingerprint reader on T530

I tried to send this through support channels but they told me there was no way to reach any developers through phone support.  One guy said the developers do read the forums so I am posting this here.
Basically this is what happened: (twice!) 
I had pre-boot fingerprint authentication and also swipe to power on enabled on my T530. 
Everything worked great until I wanted to be sure I discharged the battery all the way by letting the machine power off from a low battery. The way I did this on previous laptops was to just run memtest86 or something until the battery ran out. but since I use the laptop in UEFI only mode memtest86 doesn't work. so I used the built in lenovo memory diagnostics.  after the laptop powered off. I turned it on again. and it quickly powered back off. Afterwards the fingerprint reader refused to work for anything other than power on and refused to be connected to by the Lenovo fingerprint software. 
I originally thought this was because I had turned it back on and the system was talking to the fingerprint reader as part of start up and didn't complete since the power went right back off again..
that is until I managed to break my replacement fingerprint reader. This time I just ran the memory diagnostics as before until it turned itself off. (and didn't try to turn it back on right afterwards) This time it also bricked the fingerprint reader in such a way that caused it to keep connecting and disconnecting from the USB bus somehow. 
My theory is that either the UEFI firmware or the embedded system controller is not finishing the conversation with the UPEK touchchip that puts it into the low power swipe to power on mode when the battery is critically low and is causing the device firmware to become confused (the fingerpritn reader is not just a dumb reader, instead it's basically a small embedded computer). It's very easy to re-produce this problem. and I wish I had a way to just submit a bug report to someone instead of posting to a forum.
I now have a working fingerprint reader and I've disabled swipe to power on, hoping that this wont come up again. (I'm also going to avoid doing the memory test until power off thing too obviously...) Still I think it would be a simple fix to make sure it doesn't attempt to talk to the fingerprint reader as part of shutdown if the battery is low. 
I still have the other 2 fingerprint readers if anyone at Lenovo wants to take a look at the state this leaves them in (although it should be very easy to re-produce this in house) 
aside from this I'm very happy with my Thinkpad and I plan on getting an extended warranty and to also make my next laptop a thinkpad as well (assuming they don't do someting stupid like get rid of the trackpoint/trackpoint mouse buttons or decide to start making the thinkpad small and flimsy)

Yes I tried that. I also even did research into the upek (now owned by authentec) chip and found a dagnostics utility that also pretty much confirmed that the chip was failing to communicate. (and gave the same information that the lenovo fingerprint reader gave me) The. First one I killed could be seen but was stuck in the swipe to power on mode and wanted to be authenticated to somehow (error is could not authenticate pasport) before it would do anything else. And both the firmware and the fingerprint software had no luck doing so.
The second one I killed behaved differently, It shows up on the usb bus for a few seconds and then dissconnects and then does it all over again forever. In both cases I believe the firmware inside the fingerprint reader is being confused in a a way that is persistent across power cycles. Replacing the reader restores normal operation again. i didnt bother with thee diagnostics tool the second time incase you think I killed them with that. This time around it had problems booting and had to lift up the keyboard and unplug the cable from the palmrest, reboot and disable the fingerprint reader port before plugging the cable back in to restore normal operation to my system. otherwise it would boot only part of the time. (you could also disable pre-boot fingerprint support and it would also boot fine but then you would see a steady log of it attaching and detacthing in both windows and linux, which ofcourse is annoying) 
I have saved those two parts and will ship them to you if you want to look at them.
I seem to have a knack of running into strange corner cases like this since I always seem to use my computers/software just different enough from the averge person to run into things the developers didn't consider.
I have no idea if this thing can happen any other way than the system powering off inside the memory test utility. but I would bet it is possible in other cases and might as well be looked into.
I would bet when you try to re-produce it that it can only be re-produced with the swipe to power on feature enabled. am also pretty sure that what my guess is is likely correct, that when the system forces itself off with a low battery either the UEFI firmware, or some embedded controller talks to the chip to enable the swipe to power on feature and it's powering off before the fingerprint reader is ready when the battery is critically low, screwing up the state of the firmware on the fingerprint reader chip.  when I was doing searching around I was really hoping there was some vendor tool that could reset the chip, but no such luck at least nothing that's public. UPEK was bought out by authentec and a lot of their site no longer exists, authentec also seems to be bought out by digital persona and shut down much of the authentec site as well, and seem to be only licensing the IP of authentec to certain people. 

Similar Messages

• Boot up problems with v570 and fingerprint reader

Hello to all!!
    This is my first post. I don't have much time with my v570 and Im verry happy whith it, it just turned out that yesterday I uninstalled a program (MyLockbox) it asked me to restart and suddenlly my computer went very slow at boot up! I ran the boot optimizer and the problem was gone, but other problem appeared. Now, when I start my computer It don't recognize the fingerprint reader one third of the times as it says "suspended device" and the icon appeares in gray. When the laptop is already started it does recognize the fingerprint reader, so it´s pretty strange. I dont know what to do, sombody could help me please?

Hi,
    do you really need the fingerprint  reader?
    read this  http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-and-Z-series/V570-Won-t-Start/td-p/497879/page/4
    Disable it and see what happens
    Let us know how you go.

• Can't see a blank CD possible firmware problem

Sorry to repost, I tried to edit the first post and it was too late
    I need to burn a CD.
    I just put a blank CD in the CD drive but I can't see it on the desktop.
    I have CD-Write -R,-RW I checked the system profiler
    When I look at the CD through disk utility it thinks it is a DVD rohm and it said it can't read it and it ejected it. I tried 2 CD's of the same type and another of a different type.
    I just had a colleague look at it and he thinks it might be a firmware problem.
    thankx,

hey thanks anyway, I just did the software update for this machine and rebooted and now I can see the CD.

• T60 Fingerprint Reader

I recently began having a problem with my T60 fingerprint reader. It started saying to reconnect the fingerprint reader. I removed the memory panel just below the keyboard to investigate and found that the tiny white plastic clip that holds the ribbon-cable in contact with the reader was broken. One of the barbs had broken off and it was no longer making contact unless I put an unreasonable amount of pressure on the top of the reader.
    My question is, what is this part called and how can I replace it?
    I have looked around the Internet and through various Electronics/Technology stores with no luck.
    Thank you in advance.

a3gill, welcome to the forum,
    you are probably better replacing the complete Palm Rest.
    You will be able to find the correct FRU (part) number for your model in the Hardware Maintainance Manual. You should be able to order it direct from IBM or another source such as Fleabay.
    Andy  ______________________________________
    Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points
    Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.
      Deutsche Community     Comunidad en Español    English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество
    PepperonI blog 

• Problems with Fingerprint Reader on Touchsmart TX2-1274NR Notebook and Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)

I have just upgraded my tx2-1274nr to windows 7 ultimate (64-bit) [my university released the upgrade a week early] and I followed the directions provided by technical support and downloaded/installed all the updated drivers and software.  Everything works great (actually better than great) except for two problems.
    The fingerprint reader does not work. It shows up in the device manager, but when I try to register a fingerprint, Windows says no reader found.
    This problem is not really effecting the performance, but it states on the device stage that I am missing a driver for the keyboard filters?  I am not sure if this is important.
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  I am really loving the new system, especially the multi-touch (installed the drivers from N-trig)!!
    Thanks

Hi,
    dclane wrote:
    The fingerprint reader does not work. It shows up in the device manager, but when I try to register a fingerprint, Windows says no reader found.
    Check this and this thread. You need Authentec TrueSuite.
    dclane wrote:This problem is not really effecting the performance, but it states on the device stage that I am missing a driver for the keyboard filters?  I am not sure if this is important.
    If You have any version of Quick Lunch Buttos installed uninstall them and install this here which is provided by HP for Win7.
    Message Edited by Daniel_Potyrala on 10-16-2009 12:35 AM
    ** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **
    ** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

• The same problem again with HP Simple Pass fingerprint reader after upfrading from Firefox 4 to Firefox 5. I have already installed HPSimPlePass 7.0.74.0 to fix the problem after upgrading to Firefox 4.

I have a HP Pavilion dv6 with a fingerprint reader. I had the same problem as many other people when upgrading to Firefox 4, : I couldn't use the HP Simple Pass to enter a website needing a username and password by just swiping my fingerprint. I fixed the problem by downloading the new HPSimPlePass 7.0.74.0. This fixed the problem and I was very happy. Since upgrading to Firefox 5 I have the same problem again, but I already have the new version of HP Simple Pass. How can this be fixed so that I can use this fingerprint scan feature again, or where can I download Firefox 4 again?

''FredMcD [[#answer-709783|said]]''
    <blockquote>
    The programers know of this and are working on it.
    </blockquote>

• Fingerprint reader problem

hi, i got the same problem like everybody , fingerprint issue. the thing is all the solution listed is no help. I cant rollback the driver, I cant see any fingerprint reader in the device manager. I've update my digitapersona to v4.11 but still it cannot detect the reader. any other solution to tackle this?

Which model and OS are you using?
    Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD

• Fingerprint reader functionality in Arch; possible?

Thus far I am loving my first (actual) install of Arch, but am begginning to miss the use of my fingerprint reader. If theres no way it will work, I suppose thats ok, but I feel like its a waste of some nifty hardware.
    I have a Thinkpad X60s. Let me know if any other information is needed, and what I'd need to install/configure to get the fingerprint scanner working (if its even possible).

Atreides wrote:
    falconindy wrote:
    google?
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Integrate … int_Reader
    Sorry, long day yesterday...
    I installed it through pacman, added "uinput" to "modules" in rc.conf, then used "tf-tool --verify" to scan my fingers. It worked perfectly to that point, but what exactly do I have to do to make it so that it asks for a scan on login? Theres so many distros listed on the thinkwiki page, I'm not sure what I need to do.
    Read up on the pam_fprint module for pam.
    Edit: btw, fingerprint is horribly insecure, a good password is way better.
    Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2009-12-16 16:12:09)

• Is it possible to enhance T400 with fingerprint reader?

I bought T400 WITHOUT fingerprint reader. Is it possible to add fingerprint reader? How expensive this enhancement? I am fine to send laptop back if this can be done at service center.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Here is a quick tip on How to create a PDF file from Adobe Reader.

• T61 and Fingerprint Reader Problems Win7 x64

hi everyone!
    trying to use win7 x64 on my thinkpad t61, I have gotten into trouble using the fingerprint reader software;
    when trying to register my fingerprints I get this error: "E7210005 operation is not permitted according to system guidelines"
    (translated from german)
    Lenovo fingerprint reader software 5.9.3
    logged in as user: Administrator
    This problem does not appear when using Win7 with another user account.
    thx!

Hi and welcome to the forum!
    See this thread:- http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/Finger-Print-Reader-Error-Code-E7210005/td-p/20...
    Hope this helps.
    Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
    ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]
    IdeaPad: U350
    Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
    Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a Kudos!
    Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution! 
      Lenovo Deutsche Community     Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
    Visit my YouTube Channel

• T410s fingerprint reader not working. Also, display/screen problems

Hi,
    I have been using my t410s for about two months now, and initially I used the fingerprint reader to log on or unlock the computer.  I started signing on with my password a few weeks ago and have noticed that my fingerprint reader log-on will no longer work. 
    There is a green light next to the fingerprint reader when it is accessible (log-ins, etc.).  When I used to use it, it would pause and then blink green or red if tehre was an error, and then light up green again until I correctly swiped my finger.  Now, during log-ons, there is a green light, and when I swipe my finger, the light turns off (does not become green again, AND the screen does not recognize my original swipe) so I am forced to use the password to sign on. 
    How do I resolve this? 
    While I'm here...I've noticed in the last few weeks taht my screen would occasionally 'fade' to 'off colors' (like the contrast is tweaked).  I remember once, the screen shut down and then came back up with a window stating something abuot the computer resolving its own problem of the videocard(or whatever...I'm not sure what component it was, only that it was display-related).  It may help to know taht I use a display application that changes the screen brightness with the time of day (f.lux), which may have something to do with this but I doubt it because none of the screen settings with of this application look like the 'faded', 'off-looking' screen that I'm inquiring about. 
    Any tips? 

Hi,
    I experienced the same strange display problem as you. Since two month I have a T410s (2912-39G) and from time to time the colors of the screen would start changing for no obvious reason and come back to normal after about one minute. When it happens it gives me the impression that the color composition changes gradually, as if one color component is suddenly fading away and the display image gets a weird contrast, but it is hard to describe. I have no influence on the process for example by changing the contrast, and with me it's not linked to any additional screen-software either (e.g. f.lux is not installed).
    I'm glad you mentioned the issue, dele44. I didn't dare to bother my dealer with it because it's hard to describe and I have no clue how to provoke it. Anybody else has had the problem or an idea how to solve it....

• Fingerprint reader problem Envy 15 TS

Envy 15 TS j-063cl laptop
    Windows 8.1 update 1 (shipped with win 8.0)
    Sporadically, the blinking light on the figerprint reader would stop working.  Once the light was not working the reader itself would not work.
    This happened last night.
    I rebooted the computer and the reader was not blinking, but Windows was receiving bad data from the device because Windows kept registering an incorrect read.
    Full power off and battery removal did not change the situation. I then entered in to the BIOS settings hoping that there would be some control in there or a diagnostic function. There is not.
    After it booted again, it must have done a full boot (rather than quick boot) and the reader worked, but the light did not.
    I started a tech support session with HP. The tech uninstalled SimplePass and removed the fingerprint reader from the device list in the device manager. He updated by system BIOS (F.56) and installed the new SimplePass and hardware driver. (SimplePass Version 8.00.57, Fingerprint driver Version 4.5.228.0)
    While it now reads my fingerprints, the light still does not work.
    Also, the fingerprints do not appear to be registered with Windows itself, but rather with the SimplePass software.
    Now when I see the lock screen, there is a big ugly SimplePass window imposed on it in the upper left region.
    Is there a way to make the light work again?
    Is there a way to register the prints directly with Windows and/or get rid of the garish white window on the lock screen?
    Thanks

Hi rauld,
    Welcome to the HP Forums!
    I would like to take a moment and thank you for using the forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience in the HP forum, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.
    I grasp you were having an issue with the fingerprint reader. You contacted HP support and the updated the bios and updated the driver and the software.  The fingerprint reader now works but the light does not come on.
    The fingerprints do not appear to be registered with Windows itself, but rather with the SimplePass software.
    On the lock screen you see a Simplepass windows superimposed in the upper left corner.
    Have you tried the built in troubleshooter in Windows 8?
    I would run a hardware test just to rule that possibility out. Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 8)
    If the issue persist, I suggest contacting HP support again.
    Please call HP technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region HP Technical Support Sitemap.
    Good Luck!
    Sparkles1
    I work on behalf of HP
    Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
    Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

• Possible to upgrade to a fingerprint reader? (X220)

Hello.
    I'm getting a ThinkPad X220 soon, and I was wondering if I upgrade to a fingerprint reader. The one I will recieve comes with the stock palmrest, so if I bought a palmrest with the fingerprint reader, would it work with the correct drivers?
    Laptop: WINDOWS 7 IBM Lenovo X220 Laptop Core i5 2520M 2.5Ghz 4Gb Ram Warranty Webcam | eBay
    New palmrest: http://tinyurl.com/q88rbjf
    Thanks.
    ThinkPad X220 - i5 2520M, 8GB, 320GB Seagate.

sandwhichz wrote:
    I own a HP Pavillion G7 laptop and it's been a little too slow for my tastes lately. I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade to a SSD for this laptop and if so any helpful advice on how to clone my OS to the SSD in question.
    First we need a Product Number to know which part of the question is asking for what is slow. SSD will speed up the load processor and usage but if your processor is slow then everything else will be slow with it.
    I am a Volunteer to help others on here-not a HP employee.
    Replies aren't online 24/7 because of Time Zone differences.
    Remember in this Day and Age of Computing the Internet is Knowledge at your fingertips if you choose understand it. -2015-

• Fingerprint reader problem on windows 7 clean install:- good images, combination failed

Hello,
    this is my first post here. I have a clean install of 32 bit win 7 and everything is working fine apart from the fingerprint reader. When I go through the fingerprint enrollment software, I swipe my finger 3 times, getting a confirmation each time with the message "good image. After this I get a 'combination failed' error. Could you help me to get this to work?
    I have drivers installed by TVSU 4.0 and the biometric device is recognized and installed in devices as Authetec AES 2810.
    I have already tried deleting fingerprint info in BIOS.

Do you have the latest driver version installed?
    IPnaSh
    First Spanish Community Guru - Colaborador ad honorem

• [w530] Fingerprint Reader Problems

For whatever reason my ringerprint reader stopped working. I've uninstalled and re-installed the driver, software and done just about everything I can find online.
    In the device manager it usually shows up, but sometimes doesnt. In the control panel>biometric devices, it shows up less often, usually only after i've clicked "Scan for hardware changes."
    Anyone have any suggestions? Could it be a hardware issue?
    thanks,
    Chris.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Just started having the same issue, starting to be really dissapointed with the general quality of the w530, not at all a tank like my previous thinkpads
    Any point in cheching different options before contacting Lenovo?
    Already tried installing and uninstalling the fingerprint software as well as turning related stuff on and off in the bios.
    panchalpratik wrote:
    Hey Chris... I had a similar issue with the fingerprint reader on my W530 about a month ago. It stopped responding at times. the status LED on it would blink at times and at times it would not. Drivers and Software was up to date.
    I literally tried Everything under the sun to eliminate any software issue. Couldn't get it to work.
    It turned out to be a hardware issue.
    Call up Lenovo and ask for the palm rest bezel replacement part. The entire palm rest is to be replaced though its not too difficult a task.
    Cheers.
    - Dr. Pratik Panchal.

Maybe you are looking for

• IPhone not recognized in iTunes 3GS

Hello, I have followed the suggested fixes on the apple support site (Remove and Reinstall) 2 times and my iPhone still does not show up in iTunes. I did connect it to my wifes computer and it show up on her iTunes. Does anyone have the fix for this?

• Monster iTV Link for Macbook- Mini-DVI ports different...

I have been watching movies etc. on my TV through my 14" G4 iBook for the last year using the Monster iTV Link with the mini-DVI end. I recently bought a Macbook and expected to do the same with it, but the mini-DVI ports are a different shape! I hav

• Contact Caller Name identification when incoming call, central contacts list and short numbers

Hi, I have a New CUCM + CUC + CUP I'd like know whas is the best way to do this: I want to createa list of central contacts (for all my extensions), and assign to this contacts its telefhone number (9-12 digits) and a short number of 4 digits. I want

• Can't Change Drobo-FS File Permissions

Hi About a week ago I bought a Drobo-FS and moved my rather large iTunes Library to it. The problem now is my file permissions on the iTunes folder. It says I have "Custom" access and won't let me change anything. Consequently I am having trouble bac

• Putting a histogram in Powerpoint

How can I export or copy a histogram from photoshop CS3 (10.0.1) to use in a Powerpoint slide along with the image. Thanks!