Problem with 3rd party RAM for Thinkpad T400

Hey everyone,
I just installed 1GB Hynix RAM (came from my macbook pro) onto my Thinkpad T400. At first, it booted up fine. I did all the memory tests and everything. No problems found.
However, every once in a while, when I reboot my laptop, the bios beeps once, three times, once, then three times. I looked up the beep codes and called customer service and it has to do with the memory. 
Sometimes when I press the power button, the laptop turns on but the screen doesn't. I just have to force it to shut down then restart...then it's fine. 
Any suggestions? (besides buying overpriced lenovo branded RAM)
Thanks in advance. 

gatorman1122,
umm, i think we've already established that it's DDR3.   it's absolutely impossible to make DDR2 modules work in your system even if you removed the check pin from the socket.   and, even if you did get it to fit, your system wouldn't even POST.   the pins are different in both quantity and mapping.
what hasn't been established, however, are the exact specs (not the type) of the module installed.   what speed is the module?   what's the part number?   is it an original apple module or an aftermarket?   again, more info is needed on what you installed.
also, what beep code are you getting?   is it the beep code for memory or for something else?   you can check codes in the T400 HMM if you haven't already.
ThinkStation C20
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30 · 600

Similar Messages

• Anyone Else Notice How Tempermental the iMac is with 3rd Party RAM?

I recently upgraded my 2007 iMac so Lion could run more smoothly by adding RAM from Crucial.
    The machine worked fine for a few days then I started experiencing kernal panics.  I suspected my new RAM wasn't seeded properly.  The last straw was when I shut down the system to re-seed the RAM and turned it back on, the machine beeped three times at few second intervals (which indicates a problem with RAM) and would not power on.
    I moved it to a different slot--still no joy.  In an effort to just get the machine started, I tried other 3rd party RAM that was compatible with the iMac that I had lying around.  Still no go as the machine would beep loudly and not power on.
    I finally found some RAM I had taken out of my 2007 Macbook Pro when I upgraded it.  It was the original RAM that had come with the Macbook Pro.  It worked like a charm.
    But I'd like to upgrade my RAM.  Guess I'll have to take a trip to the Apple store and buy from there--much more expensive though. 
    Anyone else have issues with RAM?

Mac's are not tempermental with third party RAM however they are sensitive to the following RAM issues:
    1. Incorrect RAM specifications. RAM specs must exactly meet Apple's specifications, period! Installing incorrect RAM will cause KPs.
    2. Unseated RAM. Unseated RAM will cause problems.
    3. Failed RAM, this is more unusual however it's possible to have a RAM DIMM be defective of fail at a later date.
    The only third party RAM I would not recommend for your machine is Kingston Value brand, this has been troublesome. However if you use OWC or Crucial both are great vendors and sell RAM that works assuming 1, 2 and 3 above.

• Best 3rd Party Ram for MB Pro

Hello folks,
    I've been running a MB Pro for the last 7 months and it's been doing ok, aside from the battery crappying out on me all of a sudden (my iBook Snow battery lasted like 3 years before it acted up).
    Ah anyway I brought a stock MB Pro with 512 ram. I want to max the ram, but I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on 3rd party ram. On my last mac I used crucial ram with no problems. Is their stuff still any good?
    TIA!
    -jlmcb
    Macbook Pro 2.0 GHZ / 512 MB   Mac OS X (10.3.9)   In Japan 'Airmac = Airport'

Apple supply Samsung, Hynix, Nanya and Micron (which is Crucial) as standard. So any of these should be as supplied by Apple.
    Crucial.com had some 1gb sodimms for $60 or so, which is dirt cheap. Newegg.com had the same chips for $65 or so also. Last year they were $120.
    You want 1gb DDR2 667MHz PC5300 Sodimms
    So yes, Crucial is fine. If you see Samsung you want M470T2953CZ3-CE6.
    Best of luck.

• Connection problem with 3rd party software

I am having a problem with a developer tool (pl/sql developer) in that my connection keeps closing whenver i query a table. i know this sounds like a software problem and nothing to do with oracle, but this happened on my friends machine and after hours of searching we found out that it was caused by a setting in a configuration file. this setting caused problems when 3rd party applications were using oracle. however, we cannot remember what the file was, and I'm wondering has anyone encountered this type of problem before and if so how do you solve it?
    Thanks very much

Maybe this has something to do with connection timeout for Oracle network configuration settings:
    in file sqlnet.ora (located on server side), check these values or set them
    appropriately:
    SQLNET.INBOUND_CONNECT_TIMEOUT
    SQLNET.RECV_TIMEOUT
    SQLNET.SEND_TIMEOUT
    See http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/network.102/b14213/sqlnet.htm#sthref370

• Does Mountain Lion checks for original hardware??  (problem with third-party ram)

Hi all,
    I am wondering if Mountain Lion does a hardware check for original hardware. I did a RAM upgrade 6 months ago (from 2x2Gb to 2x4Gb Dolphin 1333Mhz DDR3 on a an early 2011 MacBook Pro)  and everything went smooth, I really noticed the upgraded performance.
    My problem started after a firmware update (I was running Mountain Leopard). The system became really unstable, with a lot of programs crashing randomly and some crash black screens. I then decided to update to Mountain Lion with a fresh install to solve all the problems and clean up my computer.
    I did it from a bootable USB drive using Lion Disk Maker and following these instructions with the harddrive completely formatted: How To Make A Bootable Disk Or USB Drive Of OS X Mountain Lion. The installation got stuck half way through and exited without any error message. After checking the log I got an error code (FAILED TO VERIFY ESSENTIALS PACKAGE). After diggin for a couple of days I found out in an old apple support discussion (Failed To Verify Essentials Package On Installation)  that the problem could be the non-original RAM. I then replaced the RAM with the original one and finally was able to install the new OS without problems.
    After the OS install and setting up my usual programs, I decided to go back to the upgraded RAM for extra performance and the crashes came back as before. So the newer RAM clearly caused the system to become unstable. So right now I am using the original RAM, I want to get extra RAM but not sure if it was a sporadic problem or it will happen with all the third party memories. Going to the official tecnical service will cost me more than 130€ while buying a third party RAM is around 40€. Is it really Apple  pushing us to get original parts or I am just unlucky? Did someone else experienced something similar?

Well, the upgraded RAM worked properly for 5 months straight. I don´t think it is a problem of dirt on the contacts or improper seating. Having the RAM not working properly the same day I want to update the OS, without touching it would be too much of a coincidence I think.
    I am going to try the third party RAM again to be sure, trying to clean the contacts just in case, I will post the outcome later.

• Problem with 3rd Party Plug-Ins

I am running Logic Pro 7 and recently a majority of my 3rd party plug-ins quit working. When I try to load the plug-ins or open a song that uses the plug-ins, Logic unexpectedly quits. Some of the plug-ins that cause the problem are:
    Spectrasonics Trilogy and Atmosphere
    Plugsounds PS01-06
    Ueberschall BPM120 and PLP120
    Native Instruments Kompakt
    This has happened before, but for some reason within two or three weeks, they just magically started working again. I could use an update on my OS (10.3.9) and some updates are available for the plug-ins, but why wouldn't everything continue to work as it had if nothing has changed? And is this absolutely necessary because I'd rather not because I'd have to update everything.

Did you update or change ANYTHING on your system? I've learnt that once I have a stable system, DONT upgrade unless you HAVE to, as updated plugins are designed to work on the most recent software, and sometimes dont get tested and/or work with "older" systems.
    However, if you have not changed anything and are getting these problems, the most likely cause is either song corruption (though you said this is happening on multiple songs, so I doubt thats the problem) or preference corruption, which happened to me just a few months ago. Dont ask me how things get corrupted, but when they do you start to experience random weirdness. For example, recently all my songs stared giving me "memory errors" on stuff that use to playback fine. Once I rebuilt my preferences, every was stable again.
    Here is a link to troubleshooting tips created by Bee Jay (a wise poster here). Follow them and they should fix your problems:
    http://logicquicktips.blogspot.com/2006/10/troubleshooting-logic.html
    Note: if you created any custom key commands for logic, do not trash your old preferences, as you can import your key commands from this file. Check your manual under import key commands. Here is a link to the PDF of the manual, which is easier to search:http://www.apple.com/support/logic/
    If you want to turn off your plugins just to see if they are at fault (though it sounds to me like song/prefs corruption, not plugin problems) use the AU
    manager. I'm not in front of Logic right now, but I believe its under either the apple pulldown menu, or the file menu, or one of the other menus "up top."
    (sorry for my bad description). If you still cant find it, let me know and I'll look it up, but as I said, this sound like a corruption issue and not an issue with your plugins.
    Best of luck!

• MacPro Westmere randomly restarts with 3rd party RAM

My new MacPro 6 core Westmere restarts itself once in a while. It can simply be idling on the finder or with any launched application and it suddenly shuts down and restarts!
    It came with a pathetic 3GB of RAM so I decided to upgrade to 12GB with OWC (Macsales).
    From what I understand OWC is a good reseller of RAM and I've never heard of any problems.
    I had the three 4GB stick swapped and still have the same problem with the second batch of RAM from OWC.
    At that point I decided to put the stock 3GB in the MacPro and the problem went away!
    It seems like my only option is to buy the ridiculously overpriced Apple RAM if I want to have more RAM without the computer restarting itself. How the **** can this computer only work with Apple RAM!
    I've owned around 5 MacPros and never used Apple RAM....

Well.....it seems it still doing it with the Apple stock RAM!! It just did 5 minutes ago!!
    This is going back to the Apple store....

• Problem with 3rd party plug-ins - program sluggish

Mac 10.8.8.5,  Photoshop CC
    I have created a plug-in panel in Configurator 4 to be used in Photoshop CC. When the plug-in is loaded as a panel Photoshop starts acting sluggish and the shortcuts for Tools do not stick, they revert back to the originally selected tool. Switching between layers has a 1 second or more delay time.
    When I restart Photoshop and keep my panel collapsed everything works as it should. As soon as I expand the panel, the above behavior returns. I have to restart Photoshop with the panel collapsed to have Photoshop work normally again.
    When I restart the computer in Root mode and open Photoshop and expand the panels everything works normally. So it seems like something is being loaded in my User mode that is creating the problem. I just do not have a clue as to what that could be.
    Any Ideas - Sam

Did you update or change ANYTHING on your system? I've learnt that once I have a stable system, DONT upgrade unless you HAVE to, as updated plugins are designed to work on the most recent software, and sometimes dont get tested and/or work with "older" systems.
    However, if you have not changed anything and are getting these problems, the most likely cause is either song corruption (though you said this is happening on multiple songs, so I doubt thats the problem) or preference corruption, which happened to me just a few months ago. Dont ask me how things get corrupted, but when they do you start to experience random weirdness. For example, recently all my songs stared giving me "memory errors" on stuff that use to playback fine. Once I rebuilt my preferences, every was stable again.
    Here is a link to troubleshooting tips created by Bee Jay (a wise poster here). Follow them and they should fix your problems:
    http://logicquicktips.blogspot.com/2006/10/troubleshooting-logic.html
    Note: if you created any custom key commands for logic, do not trash your old preferences, as you can import your key commands from this file. Check your manual under import key commands. Here is a link to the PDF of the manual, which is easier to search:http://www.apple.com/support/logic/
    If you want to turn off your plugins just to see if they are at fault (though it sounds to me like song/prefs corruption, not plugin problems) use the AU
    manager. I'm not in front of Logic right now, but I believe its under either the apple pulldown menu, or the file menu, or one of the other menus "up top."
    (sorry for my bad description). If you still cant find it, let me know and I'll look it up, but as I said, this sound like a corruption issue and not an issue with your plugins.
    Best of luck!

• WRT160Nv3 Problem with 3rd party internet applications Apple & Dropbox

heres my situation, had a WRT54G wireless router for several years, it kept dropping my internet connection and after several updates to firmware, I decided to upgrade to the WRT160N. Both apple computers work at blazing fast speeds, even xbox 360 which is appoximatly 40ft away in a basement works fast, netflix streaming that is built into my blu ray player works as well. Problem I am having is with Itunes and Dropbox, both use the internet to connect, but every time I try and connect I receive internet connection errors. My macbook pro supports a/b/g/n wireless, so I am not sure what the issue could be. I hve the latest version of Itunes as well as dropbox.
    Also I checked the settings in my router, it is currently set to mixed mode. Do you think I would need to change it to mixed mode B-G, it seems kind of silly to have a N router and only be able to use G.  Any other experiences with this problem?
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

As far as your all the devices are working fine, then i don't think you should make any changes on your Router.
    Well you need to open Itunes ports on your Router. Click Here and check out the port numbers for Itunes and open the ports on your Router and then try to access Itunes. 

• Problems with 3rd party earphones on iPhone 4

My old Nokia phone came with these amazing noise cancelling, heavy bass earphones which are miles more comfortable than the cheap plastic things that apple provides. However my Nokia earphones simply wont work with the device properly, the music sounds distorted and very flat, sometimes the song actually skips and plays at 5x speed randomly, its really strange. I've tried taken the phone out of the case and wiggling the wire around but nothing seems to work. The earphones work fine in my old phone and when plugged into my pc with no problems, these earphones have a button on them, that when held in, the iphone seems to work correctly with them, but that means i am required to constantly hold a button on my headphones which just isnt practical. Any ideas how I can fix this? Thanks!

Update iTunes on your PC >  iTunes 11.1.1 for Windows (64-bit
    Then restart the PC and try restoring the iPhone.

• Problem with 3rd party bluetooth keyboard

I just purchased a third party bluetooth keyboard (RockSoul BT-100).  Unfortunately, when paired with my MacBook (2009 aluminum unibody running Mountain Lion), neither the Escape nor the FN key works.  Any suggestions?  Do I need a special driver?

Hello:
    I suggest you contact the manufacturer of the third-party device.
    Barry

• Update problem with 3rd party application

After I updated to 10.4.3, everythiing seemed to be working fine, but I noticed that Onyx does not run properly. It gives a syntax error. IM not sure if I should reinstall it, or try another third party application? Can anyone please suggest another application similar to this to help run maintenance scripts. Also in the mean time, coudl someone please post how to run these scripts through the Terminal? thank you

To run the scripts in terminal, type sudo periodic daily weekly monthly, enter your password, and wait for it to finish. To check when they were last run, ls -al /var/log/*.out
    Hope this helps!
    -Ryan

• Problems with 3rd party libraries used in ejb

Hi
    I need to deploy a standalone ejb component to weblogic server. The ejb uses some libraries. When my client application invokes it, an exception is thrown for not able to find classes in those libraries.
    I tried putting the jar files in Weblogic's lib folder, and also edited startWebLogic.cmd file to add them to classpath. It just won't work.

Also, how is the EJB deployed? if its an EAR, you should see the third-party jars in the EAR in the "APP-INF" directory (workshop created beans and built EAR has the APP-INF directory)

• Where to buy 3rd party RAM

Hello,
    I've been prepping my old iMac G5 to sell. After "7-pass"ing the hard drive I re installed the OS. It was still running a little weird so I took it in to the apple store to run a diagnostic. It turns out I need to replace one of the RAM sticks.
    According to apple.com i should be looking for RAM with these specs:
    * PC2-4200
    * unbuffered
    * nonparity
    * 240-pin
    * 533 MHz
    * DDR2 SDRAM
    Here are my questions:
    1) Is there a recommended/preferred site to buy 3rd party RAM for Macs? Or preferred brand?
    2) If not, certain sites like newegg.com has RAM with the correct specs listed above, but also lists compatibility like Dell, HP/Compaq, etc. Does this matter? Do I need to find RAM that specifically says "compatible with Mac"?
    Thanks for your help!
    Darren

[macsales.com] and [newegg.com] are reliable and offer lifetime guarantees. The fact that the RAM is compatible with other makes doesn't matter, as long as they specify that it's compatible with your model iMac, it will work.

• Upgrading to 3rd Party RAM

hi all,
    i am wanting to upgrade my 20" intel iMac from 1gb to at least 2gb of RAM, but am not really wanting to pay the $549 price tag offered on the Apple website.
    There are several 3rd party ram modules for macs (which are substantially cheaper), and i was just wondering what others thoughts were on a topic like this?? do you think would i encounter any problems using 3rd party ram modules??
    many thanks!

First thing to do is check your current system to see what's there now.
    Go up to the blue: "Apple / About This Mac / More Info / Hardware / Memory"
    There you will see that the Intel iMac's have two slot's BankO and Bank1..
    If your system has two 512MB modules then you'll need one of these 2GB kits below to bring your system up to 2GB.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145157&ATT=20-145-157&CM P=OTC-17exta6
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/53DR2SPAIR2G/
    17" iMac Intel Core Duo - 1.5GB Ram -   Mac OS X (10.4.9)   - Maxtor 300GB FireWire - Creative Inspire 2.1 - 2G Nano

Maybe you are looking for

• Dual boot Windows from Toshiba Recovery CD

Is it possible to dual boot Windows from a Toshiba Recovery CD? I have a Satellite A45-S120 with a Toshiba Windows XP Recovery CD. I have XP installed on one partition.  I partitioned the hard drive using GParted, and installed Linux on several parti

• How to get the PO response number

hi, i need to get the Purchase Order Response number for a given PO number and item. i have checked BBP_PD_PO_GETHISTORY FM, for few of po numbers i'm not able to find the POR number in this FM. can anyone suggest how to get the POresponse number. he

• Can you open two seperate apps at once?

Can you have two separate apps open at once?

• Is my laptop dead?

Last night my computer froze and I could hear a grinding noise from the hard drive. It is about 2.5 years old and I use it all the time. I had to manually shot it down and now everytime I start it up it either doesn't load up (10% of the time) or whe

• Copy & Paste Functioning Incorrectly

All of sudden, the copy & paste functionality within Dreamweaver has gone crazy. Each time I try to highlight some lines of code to copy to my windows clipboard, the entire file gets selected. Or if I am finally able to get to a couple lines of code