Problems with Windows 7 Reinstall on T420

Hi all,
Have got into a situation with reinstalling Windows 7 on my Lenovo T420 - have read through many of the posts and tried a bunch of things but to no avail. Issue is:
Windows got bloated and had no option but to reinstall base Windows
Route I took (based on other installations I have - but of course they are OEM) was to get license key via Belarc Advisor and then download Win 7 install media - then completely reinstall Windows
Haven't bothered with the Lenovo software installs beyond what Windows found for drivers online - didn't want to load up on software I really don't use
Worked fine, but now no activation
Spoke to Microsoft support and they can't do anything as the license key is publically available
Have tried the following:
Reinstalling the Rescue and Recovery 4.5x software - but it bombs with Error Code 6 - other posts say that is due to antivirus - I use Eset, so turned it off and tried again - same error code
F11 had no effect at boot up - either holding it or hitting it repeatedly - I guess the Windows reinstall I did wrote over any boot loader
The recovery partition is still there - and the other small partition
I read a post saying to list the recovery partition as the active partition, so did that in Computer Management and now it says BOOTMGR not loaded/available - and I can't boot into Windows at all now.
So a bit messed up. I don't have any of the original install discs - and nope, I didn't have the foresight to create reinstall/recovery discs beforehand.
Anybody have suggestions on what I can do? Open to anything.
Thanks,
JW
Solved!
Go to Solution.

Hello and welcome,
Use the CoA key on the sticker in the battery compartment.  Activation will probably fail but offer automated phone activation.
As long as you're using the version that matches your original license it should work.  Might possibly require another install if it doesn't offer phone activation.  Don't enter a key during the install.  Use it later.
Z.
The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.  The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog
English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество

Similar Messages

• Hi anyone having a problem with windows 7 and itunes

Hi has anyone had a problem with windows 7n and Itunes...My Itunes was working now wont open says files missing reinstall...which I have done several times also other programs that were working now have error message your side by side configuration isnt correct any ideas!!!

Yes, I am also having trouble with my windows 7n.  I tried to install the download but it didn't have 32 bit for my computer and I don't think it will help me see my phone on my external devices. I can't transfer my photos. Any help would be appreciated.

• Problems with Windows XP SP3 in Boot Camp

Hi,
    I have recently received a 21.5" iMac; it is the higher-end of the 21.5" standard configurations. The problems I am having, I believe, specifically relate to drivers.
    Firstly, I get no sound whatsoever in Windows XP SP3 (boot camp); I have tried removing and reinstalling the drivers from the Snow Leopard install disc, but no success. I have no yellow question marks in the device manager window, but the absence of audio still persists.
    Secondly, I cannot gain access to the special functions of the Apple wireless keyboard in Windows XP SP3 via Boot Camp. Again, I have tried reinstalling the drivers, but no success. I have read an Apple support document which states that the keys are only supported on late 2009 Macs; I own one of these Macs, so that cannot be the problem.

Problems with Windows XP SP3 in Boot Camp
    Boot Camp forums are here: http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=237

• Premiere Elements cause problems with Windows Media Center while streaming to TV.

I was having the following problem:
    The audio from the streaming process of a recorded TV show on my HP computer to the remote receivers, a Sony Blu-ray player and/or a Sony Streaming Player, results in the loss of audio signal at exactly 30 seconds from the beginning on either devices. The video continues on as normal.
    A user on the Windows 7 forum had the following possible cause and solution.  His response was as follows:
    I "solved" my issue, at least partially. Turns out for me a codec installed by Adobe Premiere Elements for audio (Main Concept) was causing mfpmp.exe to fail (you should see it getting an appcrash in the event log two or three times as soon as you start playing the media remotely.) This program is used by microsoft for DRM. I went through and one by one remained the various attached (non-microsoft) modules until i found the one that caused the appcrash. I haven't fully figured out if Elements is now negatively effected, but that's for a different forum.
    I tried the quick fix by un-installing Adobe Premiere Elements.  The uninstall solved my problem with Windows Media Center, but I want to re-install the software but I do not want to recreate the problem with Windows Media Center.
    Is there another solution for this problem?

I reinstalled Adobe Premiere Elements 10 and the above mention problem reoccured.  With a little detective work I was able to determine that the file causing my problem was "mc_dec_dd_ds.ax".  I am not sure what this does to Adobe Premiere Elements 10 since I removed (renamed) the offending file.  A strange side affect, renaming the file did cause an increase volume. Strange.  

• Backup Problem with Windows Server Backup

Hello,
    we have problems with Windows Server Backup Feature.
    Our system is a Windows Server 2008 Standard. On the computer runs a SQL Server 2005.
    Since several days no backup can be carried out. We get the error message:
    - Error during a Volume Shadow Copy service operation. Detailed error: Failed to process the volume shadow copy: "0x800423F0".
    - Errors in the event log: For the started backup an error occured. The volume shadow copy operation  was not successful. Error code: "2155348129". Run the backup again after the problem was fixed.
    We have already tried to restart the services, uninstalled the Windows Server Backup Feature and reinstalled it, also we rebootet the server several times. Unfortunately, so far without success.
    What else can we do respectively where could be the problem?
    Kind regards
    Sven Otto
    KRK ComputerSysteme GmbH (Germany)

Hi Sven,
    Please check if there a system partition that is created on the server. If so, assign a drive letter on the partition to check the results.
    For more detailed information, please refer to the article below:
    Volume Shadow Copy Error 0x800423f0 - writer error: inconsistent snapshot
    http://kb.backupassist.com/articles.php?aid=2995
    Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best Regards,
    Mandy 
    We
    are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this
    interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• 6 Problems with windows 8.1

Hello,
    first sorry for my bad English. I have problems with windows 8.1 and it really annoying me.
    1) I can't change lock screen picture. It freezing for 2-3 seconds when I'm trying to change it and nothing happened.
    2) I can't browser files from metro apps. It crash and restart.
    3) Picture password doesn't work with me. The windows freeze.
    4) Facebook app disappeared and if I try to install it. It disappear again.
    5) Task manager sometimes freezes for 6-7 seconds when I close it.
    6) Randomly when I am using the PC, it will blue screen with usually the following error : Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_or_Equal

Hi,
    Did your system activated? The lockscreen picture problem probably caused by activation problem. For other problem, it is probably driver problem. You can try to reinstall computer driver for test.
    In addition, If you installed any security software, please try uninstall them for test.
    Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

• Had problem with laptop so reinstalled it now itunes will not sync on both laptops, it did before.

Had problem with laptop so reinstalled it now itunes will not sync on both laptops, it did before to my iphone5 says cannot sync to 2 libraries until I reinstalled it did.

iDevices can only be synched with one library.  However, you can sync successfully with more than one computer if each has a copy of the same logical library - the identifier that iTunes uses to determine which library is synced an iDevice is recorded within the iTunes database (the iTunes Library.itl file).  The best approach is to replicate your complete library (database, media, artwork, associated files) from one PC to the other.  When you reinstalled iTunes on your laptop it will, by default, have created a new library with a distinct id from that of your other machine.  Even if you copied all your media from one to the other, iTunes will still see the libraries as distinct with respect to syncing iDevices.
    If you have configured iTunes to organize your media and to copy files to the iTunes Media folder, then the complete library will be contained within (by default) C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes, with a structure of subfolders and key files like this:
    If this is the case, you can (with iTunes not running on either machine):
    Copy this iTunes folder from laptop 2 to laptop 1 (the one that's had iTunes reinstalled) - depending on the size of your library you can do this over a network, using a thumb drive, or an external (USB) hard driveNote this this assumes no media on laptop 1 that's not also on laptop 2 - if this isn't the case, there's a slightly different process to follow to ensure that this media is preserved and can be added to the "common" library
    Once the copy is complete, make sure that iTunes is using the correct library database by holding down SHIFT as you start iTunes.  When you see this prompt:
    select Choose Library..., navigate to the iTunes folder you just copied, select the iTunes Library.itl file you'll find there, and click Open.
    For future reference, you can use turingtest2's user tip on Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy for a suitable method to backup your library to an external drive - you can then, with care, use this to keep the copies of your common library in sync across your laptops.

• IPhone 3GS SYnc problems with Windows 7 64 Bit

I am having sync problems with windows 7 64 Bit.
    The iPhone syncs a few tracks then hangs, a few minutes later itunes tells me the iphone has timed out.
    Anyone have any ideas about this. I have tried different USB ports, cleaned the apple USB cable contacts with Servisol, restored the iPhone and reinstalled itunes.
    iPhone and iTunes are latest versions.
    Thanks
    Joe

"Try this connect the iPhone, let the mtp driver installation fail, then go into the device manager and uninstall the unknown mtp device. If you then scan for new hardware from the device manager it should recognize the iPhone & update the driver."
    Ok here's what I did:
    1) Connect the iPhone (iTunes had been installed)
    2) No MTP driver installation is happening as Windows detects iPhone successfully
    3) Open Device Manager
    4) There seems to be 2 drivers for iPhone that are active now, although I still can't see which one is the MPT driver you're referring to.
    One of them sits under Portable Devices: "Apple iPhone". If I view the details of this driver, it lists the following files:
    - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\UMDF\WpdMtpDr.dll
    - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\winusb.sys
    - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\WUDFRd.sys
    - C:\Windows\system32\WpdMtp.dll
    - C:\Windows\system32\WpdMtpUS.dll
    The other one sits under Universal Serial Bus controllers: "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver". And as indicated by Joe above, it lists the following files when I view the Details:
    - C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\usbaapl64.sys
    - C:\Windows\system32\usbaaplrc.dll

• Fafter upgrading to mavericks,I had problems with windows 8.1, so deleated partion to start over. Everthing went fine until The fact I was using an upgrade disc instead of a bootable version. Now everthing is loocked up and  none of the hotkeys work

after upgrading to mavericks, I had problems with windows 8.1. I deleated the partition to start over. Upon try ing to reinstall 8.1 everthing locked up. I had an upgrade disk instead of bootable. Now every time I turn the computer on "it asks for bootable media"; none of the hot keys work to get back  eo mac os

You mised the last part where none of the hotkeys are working,neither options nor "X" it goes ms 8.1 boot up and asks foe a bootable disc. I am about to pull the HD put it into a case attach it to another computer and delete the file

• Problem with windows and my monitor in after effects

HI . before any thing excuse me for speeking english.
    i have a problem with windows in after effect in my monitor
    my monitor is 15.6 and resolution is 1366*768
    for example when i open interpret footage window i can't see that complete and amount of size window dont visible.
    Thanks.

Your system doesn't meet the requirements and that is that. AE has required 900 pixel height ever since CS4. Other than changing your screen res or shuffling around windows there is nothing you can do.
    Mylenium

• I am having a problem with Windows Fusion installed on a MacBook.

I am having a problem with Windows Fusion installed on a MacBook OS 10.  When attempting to use a Browser, (either IE, or Chrome), under Windows Fusion, I cannot browse to ANY page except Gmail.com.
    I checked all security settings, and found no problem. Neither browser will allow me to do ANYTHING other than go to Gmail.com!!!
    I am not sure if I have some virus on my Windows side, because Google and Safari both work perfectly on my Apple side, just not when running Windows Fusion.
    Is there some setting I am missing, or do you think I have malware/virus issues?? My Internet connection is DEFINITELY working fine - I can send, receive, open, and close all my email on Gmail only, and can navigate freely on Gmail, but cannot get to any other site even hyperlinked to Gmail.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you very much.

HartEJ wrote:
    ...Neither browser will allow me to do ANYTHING other than go to Gmail.com!!!...
    If you've already tried my previous suggestions, it may be that something has tampered with the DNS settings in your Windows VM, which might bypass the settings your Mac uses. Assuming you're using Windows 8, these instructions explain how to check and change the DNS settings. There's also a link in those instructions listing a variety of suggested DNS settings. If you do try changing the settings, record what the settings currently are in case you want to return to them.

• Looking for a site that shows problems with windows patches or updates.

Looking for a site that shows problems with windows patches or updates...so I know what not to install.
    Plenty of sites list and summarize individual patches, I want one that consolidates problems and complaints so I can better assess the risk. Currently I'm waiting to install patches several days and doing google searches. That works, but I'd rather find a place
    that does it with expertise.
    Which forums would be best to look for such problems.
    Thanks in and advance for suggestions

Hi,
    I agreed with Cyber and Rick.
    Windows update helps to keep your PC safer—and your software current—by fetching the latest security and feature updates from Microsoft via the Internet.
    Although there might be some problems when installing it, Windows update is not the one to blame.
    For troubleshooting Windows updates, if needed:
    Fix Microsoft Windows Update Issues
    http://support2.microsoft.com/gp/windows-update-issues
    Best regards
    Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

• Has anybody had the following error while trying to download iTunes 10.5? There is a problem with Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run.

Has anybody had the following error while trying to download iTunes 10.5? There is a problem with Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run.

Go to "control panel" then "add or remove programs".  Highlight "Apple software update"  Choose "change" click "Repair"  This should do the trick.  Then download and install iTunes 10.5 again.

• Tried to install iTunes 10.5 this morning but an error appeared saying "problem with windows installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run." Can someone please help

I tried to install iTunes 10.5 this morning but an error appeared saying "problem with windows installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run." Can someone please help

Firstly, are you installing iTunes for the first time or are you updating your current version of iTunes?
    If you're installing iTunes for the first time have you tried redownloading the installer package? Perhaps the file you downloaded originally is corrupted...
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/
    If you've tried that, then try installing iTunes as your computer's administrator. To do this right-click the install package and choose "Run as administrator".
    If you're updating iTunes to the most recent version try repairing the Apple Software Update program on your computer. It's under the add/remove programs.
    1. Open the control panel
    2. Open Add/Remove programs (called "Programs and Features" in Windows 7)
    3. Navigate to "Apple Software Update" in the list and click on it
    4. Click on "Change" then select "Repair" (or just select the repair option in Windows 7)
    Once you repair this, try running iTunes and the update again.
    Fingers crossed!

• Problem with Windows Media Player since installing Firefox 4.0

Problems with Window Media Player. When I am using Windows Media Player to view a video from another source I am having problems. When I hit pause and then go back to hit play it does not have any sound. The player is not on mute and it keeps going from pause to play with no sound most times. Please help. Thank-you. I have Windows Vista programs.

What can I do to get the Windows Media Player to work properly?

Maybe you are looking for

• DataTable on initial request

Hi, I have a DataTable component with more than 500 rows, so I have used paging, displaying 10 rows at a time. Each row displays details for an employee, such as ID, First Name, Last Name ... etc. I also have separate pages to add and edit an employe

• OS X: Windows 7 partition not mounted

Hi everyone, I had previously dual booted my macbook with OS X and WinXP, i was able to view the WinXP partition through OS X on my desktop. I got my hands on Windows 7(Final Release) and now my macbook is dual booting OS X and Win7. I cannot figure

• Don't use the Software Update in Preferences - download the Combo Updater !

Software Update failed and I had to archive/install back to 10.5 - just download the Combo Updater and you should be ok.

• How do I hide a report portlet that has no results?

I would like to have my portlet not show at all is there are no rows returned in the report. This can be done in a way with the login portlet, can a report run as a portlet be hidden if it is empty?

• JApplet Error when closing

import java.awt.*; import java.applet.*; import javax.swing.*; <applet code="Frame_Demo" width=300 height=300> </applet> public class Frame_Demo extends JApplet {      public void init()           Container c = this.getContentPane();           ImageI