Recommendations for a new 14.1" T61?

Hi,
I will be getting my new 14" T61 soon, and I was wondering what sort of tests I could do to make sure that it has no issues, i.e. hard drive, logic board, wireless, power management, etc.
Could someone please recommend some tips?
Also, my T61 is coming with Windows XP. Will I get recovery CDs?
Will there be a partition on my hard drive for recovery? Can that be deleted without reinstalling everything?
Thanks so much! Sorry for the many questions.
T61 - X300 - D10

RE: Also, my T61 is coming with Windows XP. Will I get recovery CDs?  NO.  However, you can make 6 to 10 CDs as backup or buy an external DVD Writer which will take one DVD to make the recovery disk.
Will there be a partition on my hard drive for recovery?   Yes, there is one on the harddrive
Can that be deleted without reinstalling everything?  Yes, you could delete that however,  you will then not be able to use the automatic backup feature that would be so convinient if you have to restore your machine back to the way it was at the last backup instead of to the factory configuration that the recovery DVD/CD will give you.
Message Edited by joeyman9 on 03-19-2008 11:18 AM

Similar Messages

• Recommendations for a new monitor?

Greetings,
    I'm looking for a new monitor for my Powermac G4 450 MHz AGP (sawtooth).
    I'm currently using a Formac Gallery 1740 after 6 years it's starting to faded out on me.
    I'd really appreciate any suggestion or Recommendations for a new one.
    Aisha K.

I'm using a 17" LCD, Acer model AL1706 on my G4 400MHz AGP. Was plug 'n play and has been flawless over the years. I'm sure the current model numbers are different.
     Cheers, Tom
    Here's some Acer model LCD monitors.
    http://www.amazon.com/Acer-19-inch-Flat-Panel-Monitor/dp/B0002X8TVW
    Message was edited by: Texas Mac Man

• What kind of case/skin do you recommend for my new macbook pro 13"

what kind of case/skin do you recommend for my new macbook pro 13"what kind of case/skin do you recommend for my new macbook pro 13"

I've got a Tucano for my MBP 15inch and its very good  - http://www.tucano.com/shop/second-skin-elements-for-macbook-air-13.html try this site.
    Mike

• Any recommendations for a new Graphics card for Mac Pro?

Any recommendations for a new Graphics card for mac pro edit in Premiere 2014 and I need to have   output to a monitor my current graphics card is ATI Radeon HD Graphics 5870 1024 MB I find better for what I need?

Look at this EVGA card for the Mac

• A/V Cable Recommendation for the new 3G iPhone?

I am looking to buy a new A/V cable for my new iPhone. Does anyone have any recommendations. I have seen the one in the Apple store for 49.99. Just wondering if that is my only option with this phone.
    Thanks in advance.
    --Mickey

I wouldnt recommend ANY other cable than the Apple ones at the moment.
    Before you do order one, is best if you could ask the shop if you could try and if fails ask for a refund or credit return.
    Do not go cheap on ebay for this, as many have tried and failed. I was able to get the original cable under $35.00 and this was either component or Composite cable.
    Ensure you know which one you need for your TV. I have tried my original Composite cable on several old TVs and new ones and so far is all good. Hope this helps.

• What kind of monitor is recommended for the new Mac Pro?

I want ot upgrade to the new Mac Pro from an imac, but what kind of display/monitor would be recommended and how much might it cost?

There are lots of 27"-30" monitors that would work, with the right connector adaptor.  Many sell for around a 1/3rd of an Apple display.  Personally, I like Samsung monitors, but LG makes some very nice ones, and even Dell's monitors are often quite good.  Acer has some nice large screen monitors out too, and while the name might not be commonly known to many people, they are and have been a major equipment manufacturer for decades now and their quality is usually pretty good.
    Keep an eye out for sales in the coming weeks and go look at some, preferably side by side.
    You should be able to pick up something good in the 25"-30" range for easily under $500/$600 USD (on sale, perhaps well under $300).

• Recommendation for a new feature - alert when an important email arrives

Why can't I set my iPhone to give me an alert when an important email arrives?  This new feature would alert me when I get an email from a predetermined sender or subject line.  AOL offers this feature.  Why can't my iPhone do it too?  The phone would need to read the sender address and subject line of each email, and then bounce it against a list of pre-configured alerts that the user programs. 
    This would also cut down on data consumption, since users would not have to check and recheck their mail when waiting for somethign important.  With an alert, you just set it and forget it.

iOS 6, coming this fall, will include a new feature that allows you to designate a VIP list for just this purpose.  This feature will be supported on the iPhone 4.  See "Mail" here: http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/.

• Recommendations for a new camera

Hi all, I need some assitance in selecting a new SLR for a company I work for.
    A little bit of background information first. I'm primarily a web/graphic designer with some photography experience. I took 3 semesters of photography in college and currently own a Rebel Xti with two prime lenses and a YN565EX Flash. My camera does pretty good considering it's age and spec range but it's not quite going to make the cut for a project we're working on. 
    The company I work for builds web applications and websites for government clients. The project I'm on is for an internal website (sub company) and we plan on using all custom photos. The 'boss' doesn't like stock photography. Problem is, we need a camera that's going to hit the quality of stock photography. 
    Budget: I'm not completely aware of the budget, I just know it's going on the company credit card. I'm guessing around $2-3 grand. 
    Awarenss: I've read across other forums that just getting a new fancy camera won't automatically give you super awesome photos. Good glass and lighting kits make a big difference. Hopefully my Flash will work on whatever camera we end up purchasing.. 
    Cameras I'm looking at:
    EOS 6D
    EOS 7D
    EOS 70D
    We're hoping to make a purchase quite possibly this week. And again, I don't claim to be a master photographer but I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty with an SLR. I feel like operting SLR's are a lot like driving stick. Once you get it, you can operate just about any of them. 

Idk, I've been using the XTi for quite a while. It's shown a gradual decrease in quality since I started using it out of college. It was essentially an upgrade from my POS manual film camera I had during 3 semesters of photography in college. Once I finished translating some of the settings on the XTi from the POS fuji, I was able to get some d*** fine shots. It's biggest issue was low light situations. If I was almost anywhere in doors, might as well have used my iPhone to take the shot. Also, a big issue I've had on it for years and a few others I know have experienced this on my camera as well...it's not an All Star in the focusing department. I've mentioned that in a few other forums and I've had many nods in agreement on that one. 
    Another forum is suggesting the Fuji X-T1. I've done some quick homework on it and while I'm impressed with it's low light performance, it looks like it's basically an automatic alternative to a full blown manual. That said, I'd like to reiterate a previous point I've tried making haha. I'm not intimidated by more advanced equipment. I'd never used an external flash in my entire life and just recently bought one. Read the manual for about half an hour, hooked it up and within about an hour had the hang of it. Doesn't mean I know the equipment by heart, it just means I'm pretty comfortable learning new equipment. 
    The mindset of my creative director is this..if we're going to get a new company camera, we might as well get a respectable platform to work with. In the event that I move up to developer and someone else comes in my place with even better lenses and better lighting equipment then the purchase was worth it. We now have a very useful body. 
    Someone on another forum mentioned this as well, "stock photos of the corporate environment are supposed to be bright and clean". While I agree with that, we're intentionally going a little darker. We're going to have responsive text over the many of the images. Also the navigation menu is going to be 'very different'. It's going to be a fully collapsable accordian style nav menu (expanding left to right like you would on a computer hunting for a file) with some transparent 'glass-like' effects so the images 'semi' show through them. 
    I'm actually kind of surprised by some of the responses I'm getting across forums. I know 22 MP doesn't make you the God of photography but if all photographers kept the mindset of "keep your old equipment and just replace the lenses and lighting equipment", then hardly anyone would bother upgrading to the higher end body's. Photographers must buy the higherend body's for a reason. I'm not suggesing the company I work for should go all out and buy the top of the line Canon or Nikon. I'm just saying, I'd be willing to bet half my year's salary that even a 70D with a starter lens could take a better shot than my XTi with a starter lens.
    The TWO BIGGEST things I'm after are this.
    - Strong focusing
    - Good low light performance. 

• What cloud back up services do you recommend for our new Mac?

What cloud back up services work best with an iMac?

Without a good first and second or third backup plan or regimen in place,
    before cloud backup, you still could lose most functional computer use.
    The internet cloud is OK if you can access it, quickly & efficiently.
    If you can count on that, then you are among a minority worldwide.
    •Back up Mac Hard drive...
    https://www.apple.com/support/backup/
    While the basics nearby are good, the off-site copy or cloud is a plus
    if you travel to & from an office, or several locations and need access
    to information, while knowing the primary devices and the media are
    also backed up in triplicate, across different media & devices.
    http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/backup/
    back-to-my-mac
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4908
    A quality externally enclosed hard disk drive setup for use with a
    full system clone, to boot & run a Mac from a copy, is a fine idea.
    {carbon copy cloner - bombich software? one of the better bets}
    So far, in my several years experience with computers, I'd rather have
    access to the backup hardware devices and perform manual ones, too
    than rely on some remote servers, over thousands of miles of distance.
    Helps to also have a backup computer, a duplicate to run the clone, etc.
    Perhaps someone will recommend one of the advertised carbonite or
    other brands, however I fail to be impressed by gadgets & gimmicks...
    Though some may be fun, I don't have time for fun or wasted expense.
    Some other users who contribute here may have fast internet access
    of a reliable nature, and have committed a larger portion of their digital
    live's work to the 'cloud' but from my experience, clouds are weather.
    You can dress for it, marginally predict it; & find a dry/warm place to wait.
    Good luck & happy computing!

• Which 24" monitor do you recommend for my new mac pro?

I just purchased the new macpro. I need to buy two 24" monitors. My budget for each monitor is between $500 and $750. I narrowed down my research to these 3 monitors:
    Dell U2413 (Revision A02-manufactured after may 2013)
    Nec P242W-BK
    Asus PA249Q
    Any thoughts or suggestions?
    I use Adobe Premiere and After Effects for corporate videos.
    Thanks!
    Daniel

Hi Daniel
    I do exactly the same job and was facing the same issues.
    I ended up buying an Asus PA279Q 27 inch Widescreen. Couldn't be happier colour performance is outstanding and the monitor is very well designed also has an anti-glare coating.
    Happy hunting
    Nick

• Recommendations for a new (used) laptop

I want to upgrade what hp versions would you recommend.
    My only criteria is 17" screen and a reasonable price.
    I've had luck with my dv6000
    but time to move on. I don't game, mostly email and surfing occasional word processing

You have to go to the Business Outlet not the Store...it is hard to find:
    Refurbs
    Don't buy something with the idea of upgrading the processor. The dv7 is only a little bit easier on that score than the dv9000, which is a bear. I did check the refurb link above and there is nothing on sale with a 17" screen. There is always eBay:
    eBay
    eBay 2

• Any recommendations for a new Graphics card for Prem Pro 2014 (Windows) that offers Mercury Playback Engine GPU acceleration?

Hi.
    I am led to believe I could benefit from GPU acceleration when editing as my PC is a little under spec. I do have a card but when I switch to GPU acceleration it does work but every time I stop moving / playing / scrubbing on the timeline the preview screen goes black.
    I am not sure which might be the best card to obtain for my reqs. I dont think I put the biggest of demands on the software but it does still struggle. Most of my editing is 3 - 10 min long interviews. 2 camera multi-cam editing. I invariably have need to edit RGB curves, three way colour corrector, transitions and sometimes Neat noise reduction. Any of those leaves my PC struggling. All the usual titles, music & voice-overs etc but nothing too heavy going like making films or inserting lots of video lines.
    I also do an occasional bit of work in After effects too.
    PC spec is:
    Intel Xeon CPU 1.86GHz (2 processors)
    12GB RAM which I am going to upgrade to 16GB
    64 bit op system
    Windows 7
    Radeon HD 5450 graphics card.
    Any guidance would be much appreciated

Thanks for insight. I am not technical but I suspect your right about the base technology of my PC. The processors and RAM (even if I upgrade) are probably too limited. I was not so sure about the relationship between the main processor and the graphic card. I rather hoped that the card would get round the limitations of the CPU's.
    I maybe need to invest some time looking in to improving the spec of my PC. Any thoughts on a suitable spec from anyone would be helpful bearing in mind my relatively narrow editing needs.
    Even so I will look at the GTX 660 and see what it might offer. The only reason I thought the 5450 might offer GPU acceleration was because the option was available to select in the preferences in PremPro. Figured it wouldn't be an option otherwise. Certainly doesnt seem to work correctly or offer any advantage so gone back to software only.
    This is not going to be a quick or inexpensive resolution by the looks of it :-)
    Thanks again for input.

• Your recommenda​tion for a new HP Photosmart All-in-one​.

Could I get your recommendations for a new HP Photosmart All-in-one.  My old Photosmart #C5180 died. I loved that machine - it made excellent copies, was a wonderful printer and scanner and made excellent photographs, and it lived for many years.  What would be your recommendations for a new Photosmart that would be similar to my old one and hopefully use the same cartridges,  HP02, which I have a supply of.  Thanks for your any recommendations that anyone would volunteer.

Railway,
    Unfortunately no current model of printer is going to support those cartridges.
    Here is a link to our current photosmart models:
    http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/product​s/Printers/HP%20Photosmart
    All of those are great printers. If you are looking to occasionaly send faxes, then the 7510 would be the one you would want to go with. It has eFax on it, which is faxing over a internet connection, without the use of a phone line. 
    -------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

• NEED RECOMMENDATION FOR NEW MP3 PLAYER

I have a Clip+ and a Fuze+, but both are old and the battery will not hold a charge for very long.  I've been considering the Clip Sport.  I love  the interface of my old Fuze+...the way all your music (internal and external drives) all show up on one list.  I also saw on Sandisk.com that for the Clip Sport the higest SDHC card recommended for mp3 is 8GB.  I can live with that, I guess.  Does anyone find it inconvenient to go back and forth from the internal drive to the card when selecting music to play or for making a playlist? I'd really like to get a Clip Zip, but I found an grossly overpriced refurb on ebay. Does anyone know where I can find a reasonably priced Clip Zip?  I'll be looking forward to hearing from users RE recommendations for a new player.  Thanks in advance.

"I'd really like to get a Clip Zip, but I found an grossly overpriced refurb on ebay." Refurb Clip Zip 4GB players are priced at $30 on Ebay. Yes, new ones are a bit expensive. At less than half the price of a new one though, imo the refurbs are worth the risk, especially if you buy two of them. As for the Clip Sport, it has a limit of 2,000 songs for each of the internal memory and the card memory. I use 256 kbps mp3 for my music. It took around 14GB for me to reach the 2,000 song limit, so I use a 16GB card in my Clip Sport. A 16GB card holds around 14.6GB or so of files. The Sport can't combine songs from internal and card memory into a single playlist. I also have Clip+ and Clip Zip players which I have put Rockbox on. Rockbox is a free alternative firmware (operating system) which is available for the Clip+, Clip Zip, Fuze, and Fuze+, but not the Clip Sport or Clip Jam. Rockbox enables many additional features, and has a huge song database. Some format 128GB micro SDXC card  as FAT 32, fill it with songs, and use it in a Rockboxed Clip+ or  Rockboxed Clip Zip. The Clip Sport is okay if you don't have a large number of songs you want on the player. Some might buy a 4GB one for example, and use the internal storage for classical music and podcasts, and have a 16GB or 32GB card in it for rock music. If you are okay with 2,000 or fewer songs on a player, then the Clip Sport would be good for you. Yes, you could put around another 1,000 songs in internal memory at 256 kbps if you get an 8GB Sport, but then you couldn't integrate those together in a playlist with songs on the card. Depending on the average length of your songs, you might need a 32GB card to reach the 2,000 song limit, especially if your songs are at 320kbps mp3. Also keep in mind that Sandisk players(except for those that support Rockbox and have Rockbox installed on them) have trouble with cards faster than class 4, so using a Sandisk class 4 micro SDHC card is advise for maximum compatability. Some 32GB cards by other makers might cause problems in Sandisk players even if they are class 4 or slower. 

• Hardware recommendations for Oracle server

I'm looking for hardware recommendations for a new Oracle database server. I'd like to have Active/Passive redundancy, so I imagine an external storage device is necessary. Does Oracle publish any hardware recommendations based on budget? I'm not sure what our budget would be but I can assume two database servers and a single external storage device in the $20k range.

Oracle does not publish any recommendations at all.
    If they did, the recommendations would be based on load and expected performance characteristics, not based on budget.
    Your best bet is to chose a vendor (Sun, IBM, HP, Dell) and ask them. Each of those vendors has a group that specializes in answering this kind of question.

Maybe you are looking for

• ST-PI Add-on in 4.6C

Hello, we have a 4.6C system (windows/oracle) and we made an Oracle upgrade to 10.2 from 9i. Now we want to make a upgrade to ECC6.0 and we need ST-PI to be in the system. We started the import of ST-PI add-on 2005_1_46C and we get a error: -   Error

• Java.lang.NullPointerException in DataCacheManager

java.lang.NullPointerException at kodo.datacache.DataCacheManager.<init>(DataCacheManager.java:43) at kodo.conf.JDOConfigurationImpl.getDataCacheManager(JDOConfigurationImpl.java :1356) at kodo.runtime.PersistenceManagerFactoryImpl.getPersistenceMana

• Left Panel Help

I have had premiere for a long time and I was wondering a couple things I can't seem to find online. How do I change the resolution in the display on the left and how do I get the left part back? I seem to exited it out first.

• How do i autorise music from iPod to iMac?

put music from ipod to new imac and don't know how to autorise it

• Material cost by period  for WBS/ Project

Hi, I am working on one reporting requirement. Requirement is like that material  actual cost & quantity  which issued to WBS/ Project in perticular period. I am having some idea. Like COEP table via value type 4 I can fetch the actual cost for the p