Replacing DC Jack on T60

I need to replace the DC Jack on my T60 and have figured out how to remove the keyboard bezel and disconnect the jack from the systemboard without any issues.  However, I am unsure of how to remove/unseat the yellow plug itself.  Is there some sort of trick to it (screws, holding bracket, etc) or do I just need to apply some force in a specific direction to unseat it so I can install my new jack?
Thanks,
Mike

Without knowing exactly what broke, it's hard to say, but I'd say 95%+ chance that if the connector is broken in any way, it will need to be replaced, and the replacement will need to be soldered on.  For most people (namely those that don't have soldering experience already) that means the system is basically toast.
Finding the exact correct connector will be difficult, and Dell will charge you $$$$$ to fix it for you.
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.

Similar Messages

• Replacing dc jack on Gateway NV52

I am in Korea and impatient so I am allowing a Korean repair store to attempt to replace my broken dc jack(99% sure it is the dc jack. I dropped the laptop. it worked fine. i tried to charge it, the computer didn't know it was being charged. the dc jack has a rattle. the ac adapter works fine. multimeter confirmed)  The question is: can you just put any jack into any computer? the plan is to replace the jack AND the adapter. I know the jack is near the motherboard. i have no idea what a motherboard is but it's gotta be important. Also, running power through something not designed for my laptop sounds like it might cause it to explode. My korean friends say this repair is possible I want to believe them but I can wait for a new dc jack if it means my laptop will definetely work properly and not explode. Help? if the answer is wait for the right part can anyone tell me where to get one shipped internationally. Thanks.

Hi
    Welcome To Lenovo Community
    You can fix or wire the DC in jack on the base cover of the laptop
    Normally DC jack has a plastic molding which holds it with the base cover
    If that molding is broken and DC in jack is gone inside . you can use some adhesive to rejoin the molding
    But ensure the adhesive does not fall on any electronic parts of main board
    Please refer HMM user guide  for assembling and dis-assembling of the notebook
    http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/45n3684_01.pdf
     http://download.lenovo.com/UserFiles/UserGuide/en/User's%20guides%20and%20manuals/S10-2/Lenovo%20Ide...
    Hope This Helps
    Cheers!!!

• Replacment headphone jack

Where can i get a replacment headphone jack and will it come with the little ribbon cable

There are online stores like this one
    http://www.rapidrepair.com/shop/photo-ipod-parts.html
    You can also buy a broken iPod on eBay and swap the part. Note: The headphone jack parts on the 4th gen color display and 4th gen b/w display ipods (the socket that connects the two halves of the case) are different. So you need to get one off a 4th gen color display model (aka iPod photo), if that's the type you have.
    Most iPods are broken because of the hard drive, not the headphone jack.

• Anyone got an idea how much replacing headphone jack costs at Apple Store

My 1st Gen - (actually a replacement for a dodgy one) is out of warranty and the headphone jack is playing up. Anyone got a guide price for what they would charge me at Apple Store - Im not happy this had happened, but I know the realities of warranties. I own a Dyson!

Luvlabs is correct; Apple charges a flat price for out-of-warranty repair (actually it will be a replacement, probably with a refurbished unit) regardless of the problem with the iPod. Apple's repair pricing can be found here:
    http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/prices/
    There are independent service providers that may be able to offer a lower price for the repair. I can't make any recommendations, but if you search the web for "ipod repair" you should find a number of options, and someone else here may be able to recommend a service provider.
    Regards.

• Replacing DC jack S10-2

Hi, Has anybody information on the replacing the DCjack, or is there a way of wiring up without the removing, the jack ,
    eg; wiring to the battery charger. thanking you in anticipation. skippytu. 

Hi
    Welcome To Lenovo Community
    You can fix or wire the DC in jack on the base cover of the laptop
    Normally DC jack has a plastic molding which holds it with the base cover
    If that molding is broken and DC in jack is gone inside . you can use some adhesive to rejoin the molding
    But ensure the adhesive does not fall on any electronic parts of main board
    Please refer HMM user guide  for assembling and dis-assembling of the notebook
    http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/45n3684_01.pdf
     http://download.lenovo.com/UserFiles/UserGuide/en/User's%20guides%20and%20manuals/S10-2/Lenovo%20Ide...
    Hope This Helps
    Cheers!!!

• Replacing Headphone Jack

Okay so apparently my headphone jack isn't working. The volume is very low, while the right speaker is even lower.
    I see that eBay sells the headphone jacks. But my question is how do I replace it?
    Are there any tutorials out there?
    Thanks.

x-Psycho wrote:
    Thanks for the link.
    Does anyone know if the headphone jack easily comes off once opened? Because *the tutorial never directly states how to take off the jack.*
    Check the YouTube tutorial videos.

• How Fix or Replace Headphone Jack?

T400
    How can I fix or replace the headphone jack?
    I looked though the Thinkpad T400 and R400 Hardware Maintenance Manual;  but it doesn't address this.
    When I fully insert a stereo plug from an AC powered external stereo speaker pair into the jack, there is only a barely audible sound from the speakers.     If I partially remove the plug so it's inserted about 2/3 of the way, to just where the tip meets some resistance,  I get normal full volume sound.
    With a small, battery powered, mono external speaker, (the iHome iHM60),  witch utilizes a stereo plug to combine the two channels into one: inserting the plug either the whole way or partially results only in the barely audible sound unless I catch the plug just perfect, but I can't hold it there.      To get full volume, I have to remove the plug partially, and plug in the USB battery charger cable.      I think it's picking up the ground through the USB connection.

@TomBrooklyn,
    SBO, MOBO, Board, Planar, MB, etc etc ...
    Swapping a board out would depend on your experience with opening a laptop and properly putting it back together (with all the screws back in their actual place of course) ... I've seen engineer swapping a board out and back with everything in place in less than 15 minutes ...
    I tried changing a T61p hinge once, it took me 6 hours ...
    *Non Lenovo employee*
    I have a Y2P (i5) ... Feel free to ping me if you want me to test some applications with your Y2P if you have the same model. I don't mind keep doing recovery on it if needed .... =)

• Replaced audio jack, now the battery is dead?

Hello. Last week, I replaced the audio jack, because sound was just coming out of the left channel. Then, however, it wouldn't charge, even though it said it was. When I put my iPod in my docking station (iHome) or connect it to my computer, it just says "Please wait. Battery very low." (http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECAREALLGEOS/HT1435/HT14356.gif) Maybe I did something wrong when I replaced the audio jack? I don't know, but help, please!

After you've tried everything Apple recommends, as I did, that is restart, restore, other cables/adapter/wall sockets and connecting to the usb hub of your computer, it is safe to assume that is either the battery or the connector itself.
    If you are within the warranty, take it to an apple store or retailer, they will fix it...outside the warranty for a fee.
    Personally, I changed the battery myself (not too hard - you can find a 'how to' video on you tube) The battery was €14. For the connector I went to a mobile phone repair shop that had the part and knowhow to replace it. Looked a bit too fiddly for my liking!
    It took half an hour and cost me € 70, part and labour
    The phone is as new.

• Replace dc jack on g71-340us laptop

I'm trying to repair/replace the dc jack on my g71-340us laptop, but cannot get the keyboard off to get to the motherboard.  I'm anxious about forcingthe connection at the bottom center of the keyboard cover.  Any hints on removing the cover and keyboard?

Hi,
    The procedure to remove the keyboard is detailed starting on Page 60 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.
    Regards,
    DP-K
    ****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
    ****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
    ****I don't work for HP****
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Experience

• Yoga 13: power never get on after replacing power jack charging port

My YOGA 13 ultrabook had been dropped to hard floor during charging and the charging port has been damaged since it was plugged. So I just ordered the charge port from ebay($19.99) and replaced it. Of course, I have followed the instruction to disassemble it. Now I am so frustrated.. My laptop never get power on after reassemble all the parts. Is it possible that my motherboard got a significant damage when I do soldering charging port? My battery was completely out before fixing it. Better get professional to diagnosis?

I'm facing the exact same problem with my Yoga 13. Stuck at 10%, can't charge since everytime I plug my Yoga, nothing happens... great :/
    What should I do to charge my laptop?

• The music sound from my i pod is muffled through my headphone.. does the headphone jack need replacing

Iv had my ipod for few years.. now the sound through the headphone is muffled i brought new ones but the sound is still the same.. does the headphne jack need changing and how much will it cost ?

- Try cleaning out/blowing out the headphone jack. Try inserting/removing the plug a dozen times or so.
    Try the following to rule out a software problem
    - Check also Settings > General > Accessibility > Hearing. Make sure that the sound balance is not set all the way to "R".
    - Reset the iPod. Nothing will be lost
    Reset iPod touch: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at
    least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
    - Reset all settings
    Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.
    All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.
    - Restore from backup
    - Restore to factory settings/new iPod.
    - Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store. Seems you have a bad headphone jack.
    Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar
    Apple will exchange your iPod for a refurbished one for this price. They do not fix yours.
    Apple - iPod Repair price                  
    A third-party place like the following will replace the jack for less. Google for more.
    iPhone Repair, Service & Parts: iPod Touch, iPad, MacBook Pro Screens
    Replace the jack yourself
    iPod Touch Repair – iFixit

• Need to replace the DC jack in a ZE2315US

I need a manual that will show me how to disassemble this model so that I can replace the jack. Did a google search and didnt come up with anything. thanks!

Hi Sumit,
    Thanks for your timely response. But still I am not sure how is my code is going to handle conditional formatting as you mentioned. Is there are any other standard functions to handle ? And where do i keep in place to invoke from getter method ?
    While trying to format the values of the table through SQL in view object, we have already tried formatting thorough 'TO_CHAR' function by passing the attribute and the character string like '9,999,999,999,999,999.99'. But while doing so we found for some of the countries (like 'Poland','Australia',etc.,) formatting is not applicable and gave us error as 'invalid number'. So while planning to format the values with respect to currency code of the project, it is quite better to have a sustaining solution.
    I came across some of the functions as listed below :
    a. TO_CHAR(number|date,[ fmt], [nlsparams])
    b. TO_NUMBER(char,[fmt],[nlsparams])
    c. TO_DATE(char,[fmt],[nlsparams])
    And I am not sure what are all the parameter values to be passed to this call.
    Please suggest me how to proceed further.
    Thank You,
    Thiyagarajan

• 4S Headphone jack not working properly - even after replacement

Hi all,
    A friend of mine was going to throw their water damaged 64GB iPhone 4S away so I salvaged it.
    The charger port had corroded (main cause for it not turning on - flat) so I replaced it along with the battery, headphone jack, and front glass/display. It basically works fine and feels like a new phone now.
    One issue that persists is the headphone jack is outputting distorted noise when music etc is playing. I'd noticed this before replacing the jack and its replacement has made no difference. (Replaced jack which is attached to mute/vol keys and top mic - all else of which work.)
    The louder you set the volume, the less 'resistance' the distortion seems to have and the music sounds clearer. At the low end of the volume scale there seems to be almost no 'low volume ability' on the phone, ie it's off (move the volume slider just off 0) > it's on and way louder than it should be (clear and fine for about 5 seconds and then distorted/off) > louder with less distortion (also seems to momentarily fix the issue at low volume when increased.)
    I have run the music player all day at mid-high volume to see if it would sort itself out with no improvement or worsening. The earpiece, speaker, microphone, airplay, and all buttons are working as they should, it's just when using headphones do I get this crackling.
    My thoughts are something is stuffed on the main logiboard, but I'm really hoping that may not be the case. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?
    Thanks for reading : )
    John

You need to visit a website such as iFixit with such a question.

• How much to replace a headphone jack in a macbook pro?

the tip of my headphones broke off in there. I googled some methods of taking it out and don't want to risk trying the superglue method which seems to be the most popular one. I would rather have someone experienced just replace the jack entirely if it's possible in order to avoid damaging it even more. I have the Macbook Pro 13" if that matters.

You have to take the Mac to the Apple store for an estimate.
    Genius Bar reservation
    http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/
    Best.

• Power Jack replacement

Here's the problem I have...
    The tip of the 1/8" mini power connector broke off inside my powerbook G4 power jack.
    The laptop doesn't charge anymore because of this so not only do I need to replace my power adapter/converter but I need to somehow get the broken off tip out of my computer jack or replace it all together.
    Question is, does anyone know if it's easy to replace that jack inside the laptop and where I can get one compatible with my machine?
    Thanks!

Is the piece of the connector still inside the jack?  Sometimes very delicate surgery can extract the broken piece with a needle nose pliers, but you need to use one hand, and make sure there are no magnetic qualities to the pliers.  Magnetism and electrical parts don't work well together!  Short of that, the actual replacement of the jack is complicated, but http://www.ifixit.com/ or http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ may have the necessary instructions and part info.

Maybe you are looking for

• Input/output error when copying a DVD

I created A DVD some time ago using Roxio.  It plays in DVD Player on my Mac Pro, but I can't create a .dmg using Disk Utility.  I always get "Input/Output error".  I got the same result on my wife's newer Apple. I tried to Restore it but can't, and

• Log file locations

Where is the OC4J server logs? I have found several empty log files in the j2ee_home\logs directory. How do I configure more log details? Also, do servlet/JSP logs go somewhere else?i.e. to the APache logs directory? I am using Oracle9iAS Release 2 (

• In ME22n though error msg popping out - not able to stop PO posting

hi all, My requirement is to give error message in ME22n when values entered manually in item overview, ie., EKES-ebtyp = 'LA' and EKES-vbeln = space as ' NO MANUAL LA ENTRY IS ALLOWED' and PO should not be posted. i found the badi for this  'ME_PRUC

• Table which stores SU01 Master Data (Telephone Number)

Hi Experts, We goto SU01 tcode to get the master data of SAP ID. I was able to track the table which is updated for all except the TELEPHONE NUMBER which is present there. Could you please advice in which table the TELEPHONE NUMBER is stored ? I trie

• In Gmail, after clicking Profile or Preferences, nothing happens although NoScript or Adblock are disabled.

These options are responding to a mouse click in Chrome and IE9. But I do not want to use both. I disabled AdBlocj Plus and NoScript but I still have this problem. Please advise. Many thanks.