Scrambled screen on startup, t61

HI Lenovo users,
I have a lenovo t61 and recently (when working on my
uni work) it froze and then when I tried to start it again it only
gave me a screen that seems to be divided in four sections
and the startup info that usually runs through on startup is
all a bit scrambled on these 4 screens. Now I have tried swapping my memory
slots and removing one of the memory, I have no idea what is going on
I even recently changed my fan and the laptop has been cool recently.
please if anyone has had the same problem or knows what to do please
let me know, its the end of my final semester and all my work is in there.
Thanks in advance.
Reynir

what GPU do you have? Nvidia one? does the same problem occur on external LCD?
Regards,
Jin Li
May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Similar Messages

• Scrambled Screen from a virus?

I just want to report a possible virus attack. I'm skeptical that this could be the problem, but ever since the antivirus scan, the problem has been eliminated. Here's how it all happened:
    On Wednesday night:
    1. I woke the computer up from sleep mode and the screen was completely scrambled. I was able to move the mouse, but I wasn't able to control any functions and could not move any windows.
    2. I did a hard shutdown by holding down the power button.
    3. restarted and cleared the PRAM. during startup, the Apple symbol was scrambled, but the login screen was not.
    4. I restarted again and reset the SMC. The same symptoms were there. So, I entered the desktop and everything looked fine. But then when I woke from sleep mode, the screen was scrambled.
    5. I inserted the Snow Leopard installer disk and ran the disk utility. It found major problems and was able to fix them.
    6. I restarted the computer and everything was starting up perfectly. I entered the desktop and after a few minutes the screen began to flash repeatedly and then went back to a scrambled screen. This symptom did not come from exiting from sleep mode.
    7. I ran the Snow Leopard installer disk utility again and found no problems with the hard drive.
    8. I ran a hardware test (AHT) with one of the disks that came with my MacBook Pro to rule out hardware problems. Everything passed the test.
    9. My next question was. Could this be a trojan virus? The symptoms just seemed to point at this. I restarted and while the screen was clear, I went into apple.com and found a freeware antivirus app called SOPHOS.
    10. I ran a scan and while it was scanning the problem happened again. I did a reboot, ran the antivirus app and found that it successfully quarantined 5 trojans. 4 of which were in my User-Library-Mail directory and one in my Downloads directory. I checked and the trojans were listed as Windows OS viruses. I eliminated these threats and now I no longer have this scrambled screen problem. Could this have been a virus attack?
    Today, when I look back through the console.app and under the Diagnostics and Usage Messages, I found that around the time of the last incident I had a error that reads:
    Configd(15) Sleep: Platform Failure Panic - AC 99
    com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.powermangement.sleep
    com.apple.message.signature: Platform Failure panic
    com.apple.message.result: Failure
    com.apple.message.uuid: 77F88BFE-0307-4C6A-A356-CB7D9B32CF42

I found the solution to this problem.
    I first went to this link http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377
    I could see on this page exactly what I was experiencing. It was a problem with my NVIDIA video card as mentioned in that apple document.
    I took my computer to an Apple store, the Genius ran a scan and found nothing wrong. I showed a print-out of the above support document to the Genius and he said that it wasn't a real document and just for customer information. I couldn't believe what I was hearing from this man and he refused to watch a video that I took on my iPod Touch of my Mac Book Pro screen showing the artifacts of scattered pixels on the screen.
    That same day, I took my computer to an apple certified service shop for a 2nd opinion. That guy then ran the same exact scan and then my computer completely shut down during the scan, it could not be restarted and he was not able to see the results of the video card test. He contacted Apple support and they said to send it to them in Texas. They completely replaced the video card along with the logic board since both boards are connected together. All this done free of charge. The problem has been fixed, no more artifacts on the screen as described in the above support link.
    I think the Genius at the Apple store needs to get his head examined.

• My Mac is producing gray screen at startup and crashes. I'm afraid that everything explode and disappear, and can no longer connect and work with my Mac. Can anyone help ?? Thank you.

My Mac is producing gray screen at startup and crashes. I'm afraid that everything explode and disappear, and can no longer connect and work with my Mac. Can anyone help ??
    Thank you.
    Problem description:
    gray screen at startup and crashes
    EtreCheck version: 2.1.1 (104)
    Report generated 6 de dezembro de 2014 13:29:43 BRST
    Hardware Information: ℹ️
      MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011) (Verified)
      MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro8,2
      1 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 CPU: 4-core
      4 GB RAM
      BANK 0/DIMM0
      2 GB DDR3 1333 MHz ok
      BANK 1/DIMM0
      2 GB DDR3 1333 MHz ok
      Bluetooth: Old - Handoff/Airdrop2 not supported
      Wireless:  en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n
    Video Information: ℹ️
      AMD Radeon HD 6750M - VRAM: 1024 MB
      Color LCD 1440 x 900
      Intel HD Graphics 3000 - VRAM: 384 MB
    System Software: ℹ️
      Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549) - Uptime: 0:31:56
    Disk Information: ℹ️
      TOSHIBA MK7559GSXF disk0 : (698,64 GB)
      S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified
      - (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB
      Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / : 749.81 GB (378.70 GB free)
      MATSHITADVD-R   UJ-898 
    USB Information: ℹ️
      Apple Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
      Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
      Apple Inc. BRCM2070 Hub
      Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller
      Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver
    Thunderbolt Information: ℹ️
      Apple, Inc. MacBook Pro
    Problem System Launch Daemons: ℹ️
      [not loaded] org.samba.winbindd.plist [Support]
    Launch Agents: ℹ️
      [running] com.babylon.activation.plist [Support]
      [loaded] com.divx.dms.agent.plist [Support]
      [loaded] com.divx.update.agent.plist [Support]
      [loaded] com.hp.help.tocgenerator.plist [Support]
    Launch Daemons: ℹ️
      [loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist [Support]
      [loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist [Support]
    User Launch Agents: ℹ️
      [loaded] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist [Support]
      [loaded] com.facebook.videochat.[redacted].plist [Support]
      [loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist [Support]
      [running] com.skype.c2c_service.plist [Support]
    User Login Items: ℹ️
      iTunesHelper UNKNOWNHidden (missing value)
      FaceboxPro Aplicativo (/Applications/FaceboxPro.app)
      Safari Aplicativo (/Applications/Safari.app)
      Octoshape Aplicativo (/Users/[redacted]/Library/Octoshape/Octoshape.app)
      uTorrent UNKNOWN (missing value)
      Dropbox Aplicativo (/Applications/Dropbox.app)
      Inkscape UNKNOWN (missing value)
      RealPlayer Downloader Agent Aplicativo (/Users/[redacted]/Library/Application Support/RealNetworks/RealPlayer Downloader Agent.app)
      HP Product Research Aplicativo (/Library/Application Support/Hewlett-Packard/Customer Participation/HP Product Research.app)
    Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️
      OVSHelper: Version: 1.1 [Support]
      Google Earth Web Plug-in: Version: 7.1 [Support]
      Flip4Mac WMV Plugin: Version: 2.4.4.2 [Support]
      RealPlayer Plugin: Version: Unknown [Support]
      AdobePDFViewerNPAPI: Version: 10.1.12 [Support]
      FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 15.0.0.239 - SDK 10.6 [Support]
      DivX Web Player: Version: 3.1.1.9 - SDK 10.6 [Support]
      Silverlight: Version: 5.1.30514.0 - SDK 10.6 [Support]
      Flash Player: Version: 15.0.0.239 - SDK 10.6 [Support]
      QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.6.6
      iPhotoPhotocast: Version: 7.0 - SDK 10.7
      SharePointBrowserPlugin: Version: 14.1.2 [Support]
      AdobePDFViewer: Version: 10.1.12 [Support]
      JavaAppletPlugin: Version: 13.9.8 - SDK 10.6 Check version
    User internet Plug-ins: ℹ️
      npsf_uni: Version: sf 3.3.2.1 [Support]
      OctoshapeWeb: Version: 1.0 - SDK 10.8 [Support]
    Safari Extensions: ℹ️
      Searchme Adware! [Remove]
      Skype Click to Call
      iSkyDeluxe
      TED HTML5 video playe
    Audio Plug-ins: ℹ️
      iSightAudio: Version: 7.6.6
    3rd Party Preference Panes: ℹ️
      Flash Player  [Support]
      Flip4Mac WMV  [Support]
      Skype Click to Call  [Support]
      Tuxera NTFS  [Support]
    Time Machine: ℹ️
      Time Machine information requires OS X 10.7 "Lion" or later.
    Top Processes by CPU: ℹ️
          5% WindowServer
          4% DivXMediaServer
          1% fontd
          0% RealPlayer Downloader Agent
          0% WebProcess
    Top Processes by Memory: ℹ️
      296 MB WebProcess
      202 MB FaceboxPro
      185 MB Microsoft PowerPoint
      163 MB Safari
      137 MB Microsoft Word
    Virtual Memory Information: ℹ️
      843 MB Free RAM
      1.76 GB Active RAM
      706 MB Inactive RAM
      978 MB Wired RAM
      577 MB Page-ins
      0 B Page-outs
    Diagnostics Information: ℹ️
      Dec 6, 2014, 12:58:24 PM Self test - passed
      Dec 6, 2014, 12:23:11 PM Kernel_2014-12-06-122311_MacBook-Pro-de-...panic [Details]
      Dec 6, 2014, 07:08:28 AM PluginProcess_2014-12-06-070828_MacBook-...crash
      Dec 5, 2014, 05:24:39 PM WebProcess_2014-12-05-172439_MacBook-Pro...crash
      Dec 5, 2014, 10:45:59 AM Kernel_2014-12-05-104559_MacBook-Pro-de-...panic [Details]
      Dec 5, 2014, 10:18:14 AM Kernel_2014-12-05-101814_MacBook-Pro-de-...panic [Details]
      Dec 3, 2014, 08:28:35 PM locationd_2014-12-03-202835_localhost.crash
      Dec 5, 2014, 10:25:44 AM Kernel_2014-12-05-102544_MacBook-Pro-de-...panic [Details]

Startup - Gray, Blue or White screen at boot, w/spinner/progress bar
    Startup Issues - Resolve
    Startup Issues - Resolve (2)

• After a one week logout and shutdown my macpro 1,1 laptop shows a black screen at startup attempts. The battery is fully charged and both resetting the power manager  and zapping the PRAM have failed to permit startup. What else can I try?

After a one week logout and shutdown my macpro 1,1 laptop running OSx 10.6.8 shows a black screen at startup attempts. The battery is fully charged and both resetting the power manager  and zapping the PRAM have failed to permit startup. What else can I try?

Startup – Black screen with cursor
    Startup Issues - Resolve
    Startup Issues - Resolve (2)

• How do I get all users to show on screen upon startup for login?

New MacBook Pro with latest IOS. Yosemite10.10
    I got my first MacBook Pro out of the box from the Apple store yesterday...Logged in as an initial admin user...Then I migrated my MacBook Air to it. All three imported users showed. Success!! Then I restarted the MacBook Pro and the startup screen shows only a single login option: The initial admin user login Icon and name that I used on the MacBook Pro just before migrating the other users in from my MacBook Air.
    So, I deleted the initial user (I did not need it), so that the other users (already with admin rights) would be the only logical logins that should show upon restart.
    Result: The initial "deleted" user shows still, all alone and none of the other users.  So I now log in to this "deleted" user, it is very slow to start before the other logins eventually appear after the this delay. 
    How do I get my users to show at the login screen upon startup and restart?

Go to Settings > General > Date & Time. Make sure your time zone is correct and turn on Set Automatically if it isn't on already.

• My macbook pro wont get past the grey screen at startup. Help!!

After doing a run of the mill software update on my macbook pro (running snow leopard) it froze during the "moving items into place" stage. I forced a shut down and now it wont get past the grey screen with apple logo and spinning wheel. I have tried booting from the original DVD but it still freezes. When I boot it in verbose mode it seems to stop at "jnl: unknown-dev: update_fs_block: error reading fs block # 3597880! (ret 5)", the Apple AHCD Disk Queue manager :: set power state is timing out and there is a disk I/O error. I have tried to reset the power manager (not sure if it worked or not) and I have also tried clearing the PRAM (again, not sure of that worked). When I try to look at the hard drive using target mode on my imac the hard drive doesn't come up but the DVD does. I'm concerned that my hard drive is fried. Any suggestions?

It would help to state in your post which remedies you tried that didn't work.
    Start here >  OS X Lion: If you see a gray screen at startup
    If nothing there helped, try Starting up in Safe Mode
    Safe Mode deletes some system caches that may help.
    A Safe Mode boot takes longer than a normal boot so be patient. Once you are in Safe Mode, click Restart from the Apple menu.
    If a Safe Mode boot didn't work, since your Mac has OS X v10.7 installed, restart your Mac while holding down the Command + R keys so you can access OS X Recovery built in utilities. The startup disk may need repairing.
    Tip:  Hold down the Eject key while starting up your Mac to eject a disc.

• IMac G5 running OS 10.4.11. Started playing with a bluetooth speaker (may or may not be related). Now I cannot get past the blue screen on startup. I can get into safe mode. Tried install disc for disc utility and reloaded OS. Still get blue screen.

I have an older iMac G5 running OS 10.4.11. The other day I started playing with a bluetooth speaker (may or may not be related). Now I cannot get past the blue screen on startup.
    I can get into safe mode. But no regular startup.
    I tried disabling bluetooth, thinking that might be related. It didn't help.
    I even tried using the install disc to run disc utility. That didn't work so I reloaded the OS.
    But I still get hung on the blue screen when trying a normal startup.
    All help would be appreciated.

Try resetting the PMU/SMU and PRAM/NVRAM. You'd need to identify the mode of resetting depending on the model of your G5 iMac. The Apple support sites that would help you for this are –
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1436
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1939
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1767
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379
    I hope this solves your problem.

• Powerbook freezes at grey screen on startup

I have a 3+ year old Powerbook running 10.4.9 that won't go past the grey apple screen on startup. It pretty much spins indefinitely. I thought it might be a failing hard drive, but I'm not sure after the tests I've done. The drive is 80GB (74.53 GB capacity), with 7.99 GB available space. The drive itself is not as old as the laptop; it was replaced by Apple about a year ago. I have tried the following (with restart attempts in between):
    *Zap PRAM
    *Reset PMU
    *Start up in safe mode (works normally, as far as safe mode is concerned)
    *Ran AHT, found bad RAM module, removed module, ran AHT twice and found no other errors
    *Startup in single user mode, run fsck, volume "appears to be OK"
    *Attach to another PPC 10.4 machine to try to do a backup of files (mounts, works for a while, then crashes the "target" machine (iMac G5 20" 10.4.9))
    *Tried to backup to iMac w/drag and drop, migration assistant (both firewire) and via direct Ethernet connection. Always works for a bit then crashes, forcing a manual shut down of iMac
    *Startup from external FW drive w/OS X, ran Disk Utility, no problems found on internal HD
    *Startup in open firmware, reset NVRAM
    *Ran DiskWarrior 4.0, rebuilt directory
    *S.M.A.R.T. status is normal/verified
    Any suggestions, ideas would be much appreciated. I am really at a loss and very much want to fix this. Thank you.
    -Amy
    1.25 GHz AlBook 15   Mac OS X (10.4.9)   1 GB RAM

The problem may be the hard drive is too full. We have found that you don't want your hard drive to be more than 85% full. At last count 8 GB of 80 GB is 90% full.

• Equium A100 black screen on startup

Toshiba Equium A100 laptop
    Completely black screen on startup so please don't say go into safe mode etc, because I can't.
    I can't see a thing.
    Like once in every 100 goes it will come on and I can F12 to boot from the format disk but it eventually freezes before completion.
    Video showing what's happening - BTW the buttons you see me pressing are Fn+F5 I've heard that that sometimes works, but yeah, it didn't.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb7KcROckVI
    Thanks.

Hi
    Look not good dude I think its an serious hardware issue
    I checked the movie and cannot hear a beep when the notebook passes the POST (power on self-test). So for me it looks like something wrong with the hardware
    But did you try to connect an external monitor in order to check if something would be visible on second screen? Check this
    You could also try this:
    Disconnect AC adaptor, remove the battery, wait some time (3-5 hours), then connect both parts and try to power up the notebook. If this fails, well in such case have no many other ideas. Ohhh wait maybe you could check the RAM modules. Try to power up the notebook using one module in each slot

• How to load bios screen at startup?

I'm trying to access the bios screen at startup. This computer has the Mac side and a Windows PC side. I want to open the bios screen in the Windows PC side (if this makes a difference) so that I can change the booting options. Can someone please help!?

iMacs and other computers from Apple do NOT contain a BIOS like Windows machines.  They use EFI in place of the BIOS and it is not user accessible.  To select which OS you boot into you need to hold down the "Command" and "R" keys while starting up and this will then load the OS selection screen.
    Hope this helps

• Automatically show boot select screen at startup

Is there a way to force OSX to start with the boot selection screen at startup?  I'd like to be able to power on my system and have it show me the boot select screen (i.e. Windows/OSX) so that I can choose which OS I wish to boot into.  I currently have to hold down the Option key at startup in order to bring this screen up or do the same after a restart to change OSes.  Is it possible to do?  Would save having to babysit the Windows OS whenever it decides to update the OS with a restart and would allow me to quickly switch OSes merely by doing a restart from either OS.
    My setup is two physical hard drives, one for OSX (Snow Leopard 10.6.8) and one for Windows (Windows 7 Pro 64-bit).

rEFIt will basically do the same as holding the option key,I believe it's defaulted(?) to give the boot screen when you cold start showing any available boot drives, but it won't help with Windows auto restart after updating. There may be an option to do so as there's a lot more to rEFIt then I use so you may be able to have it show up at restarts also.
    Sorry I can't help more....

• Any Ideas about 1.2 fix? (Scrambled Screen, etc.)

Anyone have any ideas about how to fix the problems with ipod software 1.2? Does anyone know how to fix the scrambled screen problem or the locking up of the screen, after two months of having to deal with the problem) (iPod software version 1.2 was released on September 12) (other than reverting back to 1.1.2)
    ...yeah, i didn't think so.

yeah, many of us would like apple to fix this problem. I've stopped buying tv shows off the iTunes store, because I can't get the videos on my iPod without the update. Feh!

• Update to 10.6.1 black screen at startup

hello,
    I have a MBP bought in June 2007
    I was trying to upgrade to 10.6.1 and now I got a black screen at startup. Only the keyboard has the backlight on. Nothing on the secreen. What should I do ?
    thank you

A place to start might be this article:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1573?viewlocale=en_US
    It's also possible that you have the NVIDIA problem:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377
    If you can't get it working following the steps in the first article, you can contact Apple regarding the NVIDIA repair program.
    Good luck!
    Message was edited by: S.U.

• Mac G5 Freezes on gray screen on startup.

I've been noticing a problem of a freezing computer on the gray screen on startup in the last month. I simply re-start my computer, and it goes back to normal and boots up fine. I've not installed and programs, utilities, or new hardware. My computer still has over 200 gig of free space.
    Is this an indication of a worse problem? If not, is there something I can do to fix this? I regularly used the Disk Utility program to  check and fix permissions, so that should keep it somewhat clean.

Update your os.  Your profile confirms you still using OS 10.6.6!  You should be using OS 10.6.8 the last version of SL.

• Dark screen on startup( screen is lit but nothing is displayed)

I was working on a paper on my computer( a year and half old) when it abruptly shutdown without any error screen(BSOD). I turned it on after and the screen was lit with all lights on and blinking( wifi, hdd, cd). The wifi light was on but it wasn't white- indicative it hadn't boot into an OS yet( I am running dual OS- Ubuntu 14.04 and Windows 8-primary). I was lucky for the screen to turn on to normal as I kept turning the power on and off repeatedly. I decided to boot into Ubuntu thinking the problem was from a driver issue on Windows. It was working normally about an hour and then I noticed a bizzare discoloration of the screen, a rapid blinking of the screen and finally the screen freezing entirely- I could move the mouse after this. At this point, (I was suspecting a graphics card defect not driver), so I turned off the computer and tried to turn it back on. The screen persistently stayed lit(Hp logo on the back was lit too) but with no visual display. I then connected the laptop to a secondary monitor using both HDMI and a VGA cable. The TV displayed no visuals from the computer in both instances. Lastly, the screen randomly turned on in my process of repeatedly powering off and powering on, but it appeared completely disclored and distorted. It was always in very low brightness. I continued to boot into windows 8 but just before the login screen I got a blue screen of death. The screen hasn't displayed visuals since( always stays lit at startup). I've never dropped this laptop before so I hope you guys could be of help because my warrantly recently expired.

Hi @Yussif_Hamis ,
    Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read about your HP ENVY 17t-3000 CTO Notebook and getting a blank or black screen on startup. Try performing a hard reset.
    When performing a hard reset please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices.
    You can do a system restore. System restore will help if something automatically updated and did not go well on the Notebook. This could be a graphic drivers issues as you can not see it on a Monitor. 
    You could restore the BIOS with this document selecting the reloading the BIOS default settings which should resolve the issue.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks.
    Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
    Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!

Maybe you are looking for

• PDF form filled in Preview does not display correctly in Adobe Reader/Acrobat?

I recently received a PDF form from my bank, and filled in the fields and affixed my signature. Saved the form. The recipeint of the form opened the PDF in Acrobat or Adobe Reader and the fields don't display the filled in form, unless you click in t

• Number Format Please help

I have a float value like 232453.75 now I want to format it as 2,32,453.75 Is this possible using some java classes directly rather than going in for a string manipulation. Thanks

• ? Best practice -- Repare service purchase

Hi Expert, Who could tell me the best practice for below scenario ? We want to send parts A to vendor for reparing. After reparing, the parts is still A in system . We want to create PO for this, but after goods receipt, we would like reparing fee bo

• IMAQ Write JPEG File Error

Hi, I am trying to save the image file captured by a camera (.tiff) to JPEG file, but it came up with an error. Can anyone tell me how to fix this issue? The sample VI and the TIFF image file are attached. Thanks a lot. Jane Solved! Go to Solution. A

• One Year Limited Warranty Question

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had to exercise their one year limited warranty with Apple. I won my iPhone 3G from work, and now I have discovered that it has a loose part in it near the earpiece. It sounds even WORSE when I take out the SIM card.