Slackware 12.2 USB w/ hdd install on a t400

I am having so much trouble with this...
I'm working with a t400, and using the hdd in the ultrabay not wanting to touch the main hdd.
The idea is to Install slackware to the Ultrabay drive, which should be simple...
However I can't boot from DVD, so I partitioned out  like this
a 500gb seagate
sdb1  Linux             [~250gb]
sdb2  Linux swap   [8gb]
sdb3  fat32(win95) [8gb]
rest is free space
Using the image in the  /usb-and-pxe-installers folder i made a usb boot key, then copyed the whole dvd to sdb3
key boots just fine, no screaming errors, ect. 
1. cfdisk worked to make the parts,
2. launch setup3. format  sdb1 (ex3) and sdb2 for thier roles,4. pick the target (sdb1).
5. choose source (sdb3) 
6. I choose packages(all but extra langs, however just min install also fails)
7. select install type, menu, noobie, ect does not matter which I choose the results are the same
8. Install starts then 2-10sec later it stops and tells me that install and config are complete and that I can restart with crt-alt-del
    - using alt-f4 there is nothing listed here other than mounting for the target,  and if I did a format, the formating log is printed
    - rebooting and picking the seagate drive from the device list too boot from hands with a _  on the second or 3rd line of the screen and I have to hold the power button got shutdown.  booting internal drive goes right to win.  and booting off the key, I can't see that anything has been done to sdb1 other than a format.
I'm kinda new to linux, however I have installed slack and gotten a few desktop mtg running in VMware with 0 issues(outside of the nornal issues you have with vms) 
Other things I have tryed would be to have the slack dvd copyed to a usb key and then booting with 2 keys in, one for the boot disk the other for the source info, installer still finds the needed files however install still never completes. 
I really don't want to touch the internal hdd right now, and I just want to work linux of the ultrabay drive.

I am having so much trouble with this...
I'm working with a t400, and using the hdd in the ultrabay not wanting to touch the main hdd.
The idea is to Install slackware to the Ultrabay drive, which should be simple...
However I can't boot from DVD, so I partitioned out  like this
a 500gb seagate
sdb1  Linux             [~250gb]
sdb2  Linux swap   [8gb]
sdb3  fat32(win95) [8gb]
rest is free space
Using the image in the  /usb-and-pxe-installers folder i made a usb boot key, then copyed the whole dvd to sdb3
key boots just fine, no screaming errors, ect. 
1. cfdisk worked to make the parts,
2. launch setup3. format  sdb1 (ex3) and sdb2 for thier roles,4. pick the target (sdb1).
5. choose source (sdb3) 
6. I choose packages(all but extra langs, however just min install also fails)
7. select install type, menu, noobie, ect does not matter which I choose the results are the same
8. Install starts then 2-10sec later it stops and tells me that install and config are complete and that I can restart with crt-alt-del
    - using alt-f4 there is nothing listed here other than mounting for the target,  and if I did a format, the formating log is printed
    - rebooting and picking the seagate drive from the device list too boot from hands with a _  on the second or 3rd line of the screen and I have to hold the power button got shutdown.  booting internal drive goes right to win.  and booting off the key, I can't see that anything has been done to sdb1 other than a format.
I'm kinda new to linux, however I have installed slack and gotten a few desktop mtg running in VMware with 0 issues(outside of the nornal issues you have with vms) 
Other things I have tryed would be to have the slack dvd copyed to a usb key and then booting with 2 keys in, one for the boot disk the other for the source info, installer still finds the needed files however install still never completes. 
I really don't want to touch the internal hdd right now, and I just want to work linux of the ultrabay drive.

Similar Messages

• Error in boot-uponly with win98 HDD installed

Gents:
         Desire to report a bug in arch 0.5 downloaded Oct 18, 2003.
         Utilized arch 0.5 for some time but after installing arch linux, slackwareeline 9.0 and slackware linux 9.1 along with windows 98 in my system I encountered inability to load arch 0.5 until win98 HDD was removed. 
        Initial  setup of the system operated correctly, each linux OS capable of mounting partitions of the other, whether it was arch to slackware or the reverse.  This capability was in addition to accessing vfat on two HDD having fat file systems(one is a USB device the other the secondary slave.  However, upon reboot, an fsck fail occurred asking  for:     " mount -n -o remount, rw/" .  This notation appears in :  man fsck....
         I wish to pursue a bug description since this indicates a cross OS fault with win98 file systems/HDD.
        The boot is selected in bios before initiating same.
         How do I submit a bug?

Sorry I must be more careful in describing the complex problem.
         I utilize a pciide card to extend hdd capability,
         I change boot-up HDD in bios for four mobo HDD as is standard.
         I cannot boot on pciide card hdd's.
         I have win98 on sec-slave, with no other OS partitioned.
        I have slackware 9.0 attached to pciide slot sec-master with no partitions to other OS's.
         I have slackware 9.1 attached to pri-master when used as the in-use HDD.  It has access to partitions on arch, win98, and slckware 9.0.
         I can install arch in pri-slave when using slackware as OS.
         I can install arch as OS and slackware 9.0 as pri-slave and have access to partitions on all other HDD.
         I also have a USB HDD which is accessible from the OS in all cases.
        The problem in arch 0.5 is that after setting up the accessibilities in Linux and win98 HDD's, at next reboot I could not pass fsck.  This condition persisted until I removed the win98HDD which cleared the problem.
         In win98, the OS does not recognize any Linux HDD's.
         In arch0.5, the presence of win98 HDD prevents  arch 0.5 from booting.
         I read ....."man fsck"... and it refers to drives as  "/dev/hda...etc" and this type of ID does not apply to kernel 2.4.21 which uses /dev/discs/discX/partx and therefore I feel therein lies a bug.  This seems to be true since I am booting kernel 2.4.21 in arch0.5 which ID's hdd's in a mode other than specified in fsck.
        If fsck "sees" the win98HDD through the /dev/hdx search(supposedly a multiple parallel hdd check) it most certainly will fail the arch0.5 boot-up AFAICT.
         Perhaps I have improved your understanding of my problem..I use lilo for booting and have ....append="hde=ide-scsi ide=reverse" to allow for pciide ID after mobo ID and to enable cdrw in pcide slot primary-pri.
         If further info needed, I am ready to try.

• Mac Pro not Detecting Bootable USB Drive to Install Snow Leopard 10.6

Hi
    I have to Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Intel Xeon. I have been running Leopard on them. I wish to install snow leopard, so i took out my USB HDD where I have made a Bootable Partition with snow leopard. I have used this in the past on all my machines to install snow leopard. Now when I try to install Snow Leopard from this on my mac pro, it does not detect in the "Option Boot" start up menu, it only shows my leopard disk. If I got to start up disk in system preference, then it shows my Snow Leopard disk, but when i select that as start up, it still boots to my Leopard..
    Since I am doing a fresh Install , I have another HDD installed, formatted for snow leopard. When I launch snow leopard installer from Leopard and select install in the new drive, it does some installation , but when restarting  it goes to my leopard again.
    This is the case on both the Mac Pro;s, but not on my laptops, I tried on my air and my macbook pro, and my friends mac book pro, it instantly boots up to the usb drive with snow leopard.
    So is there anything im missing ? Or is there something wrong with my Mac Pro's?
    I dont have the snow leopard DVD, else I would have tried that too..
    Please advice asap!!
    Thanks
    Sa1

Hey
    Thanks for the reply!
    I have two USB HDD, with the copy from snow leopard dvd, and both are formatted in GUID, they work fine on my laptops and even the old mac mini, just not working on two identical Mac Pros.. Its very strange, as it keeps booting to leopard, and if I remove leopard Disk, and just put the new one and connect the USB dive, its shows a folder with a "?" mark sign!
    And the USB just works fine after its booted to leopard, it even starts installing snow leopard to the disk i assign, but it does not complete the installation as it boots to main leopard drive..
    I have tried to reset PRAM on both machine, I have changed usb slot..
    I dont know what to do!

• Automount of SD card & USB external HDD with strange KDE pop up msg

Today I reviewed lots of threads posted over the last year and some bug reports too about this issue, but it's happening for me too. Both SD card and USB external HDD have autodetectable filesystems on them because I can mount them by hand with "mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt" and "mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt". But it would be nice if I didn't have to do that.
    Although I didn't notice which explicit install that I did pulled them in as dependencies, I do have udisk2 and polkit installed. Also installed udiskie as a wrapper. I've been mounting these volumes by hand before now because I feel like I'm still learning the ropes of The Arch Way and guessed (apparently incorrectly) that mounting volumes by hand was just part of "The Arch Way". But based on some threads here and some bug reports, I guess this used to work in Arch but has been causing some problems for some people lately when they upgrade. I just installed Arch for the first time (using the 2015.02.01 iso image), so I don't have any background to go on.
    So what is The Arch Way for automounting external drives? I've skimmed the wiki article for this and because "Development of udisks has ceased in favor of udisks2." it seems that udisks2 is preferred. But it got installed and the daemon is running for me. The user is in the wheel group. dbus is running (though like one person who filed a bug, I too have several instances of dbus in my ps -aux output and I'm not sure if that is as it should be or not). I've done no special configuration ("not wittingly" anyway; I promise, my name is not James Clapper) that I think would have affected this.
    So for a newb with no special preference, how should automounting be configured in a new Arch system? In other words, what should be my first steps in trying to solve this problem for myself? I know there are lots of different ways to skin this cat, but I'd prefer the simplest and most elegant solution that does not depend on KDE or GNOME or other unnecessary tools. I've just (with this Arch system I just installed) begun using i3wm and I think I'll be sticking with it. That said, however, it's clear that I inadvertently/unwittingly managed to get some elements of KDE into memory as the following http://gamonics.org/img/2015-02-26-1731 … _scrot.png shows. This popped up both times, when I plugged in my SD card and when I plugged in my USB drive. Any thoughts on what's going on here? I did install okular explicitly because I think it's one of the best PDF viewers, but I don't understand why KDE is reporting anything to me when I'm running i3 and insert an SD card or a USB disk.
    And in the terminal, I get this output (apparently from udiskie):
    [root@archippocrates archie]# Failed to show notification: The connection is closed
    not adding /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/mmcblk0: unhandled device
    mounted /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/mmcblk0p1 on /media/3532-3338
    Failed to show notification: The connection is closed
    Although the volume does get mounted automatically.
    Thanks for any thoughts.
    -- mod edit: read the Forum Etiquette and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … s_and_Code [jwr] --
    Last edited by Gamonics (2015-02-27 00:25:01)

I personally can't answer the question of "simplest and most elegant" way of mounting devices. It all depends on what you want. If you expect more exotic functionality, say correct unmounting of devices if they were disconnected during a sleep cycle, there's probably no way around udisks2. For that you get a complex piece of software prone to... unexpected behaviour. Mind you some of it is related to front-ends like GVFS.
    As to your KDE issues, last I checked mount handling was disabled by default there, but you can control it manually (see man kcmshell4). Though I haven't followed up on KDE 5 developments. If going with udisks2, I'd recommend using devmon from the udevil package as a front-end (more details on the wiki udisks page).
    PS: multiple dbus instances are expected, check the user names and specified arguments in the ps output.
    edit: grammar. :X
    Last edited by Alad (2015-02-27 17:03:31)

• Creating USB stick / recovery installing OSX 10.9.3 fails

Hi all,
    I'm trying to create a USB stick installer / install OSX from 10.9 recovery partition and it isn't working.
    I downloaded the image from App store 4 times , and every time I got an error that the file isn't completely downloaded or it is corrupt when using Diskmaker X or trying the command line option that floats around for it.
    After that I tried booting to recovery and chose reinstall OSX. It starts downloading for maybe 20 minutes and instead of rebooting, it jumps back to the OSX additional programs menu. Seems like it's doing the same thing as the USB install.
    Is the DMG file in the app store corrupt somehow? Has someone managed to do a clean install of 10.9.3 , or create a USB drive?
    I seriously don't think that the download could have failed 4 times in a row when doing it with App Store and 3 times in a row while trying to do it in recovery, and I did some hard drive tests, and the 60GB SSD drive I have on the Mac is OK.

Nope, the machine isn't sleeping during the download. I'm on 100mbit fiber, so the download only takes 15 minutes. I've tried it wired. The reason why I don't think the thumbdrive is the problem is because the same exact scenario happened while trying to install it from Recovery partition using reinstall OS X - that would have nothing to do with the thumb drive, either the download is constantly failing, which I don't think since I've tried it 7 times now, or the image itself is corrupt somehow, which sounds really bizarre.
    ATM I'm trying to create the thumbdrive with a 10.9.2 image I found online, maybe that'll work better.
    I tried by using a guide similar to this : http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/clean-install-mavericks/
    So the creation command would be:
    sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction 
    That formatted the drive, spent around 20 minutes copying data and then gave an error message at the end, which I don't remember.
    When I tried using diskmaker X, it formatted the thumbdrive but before it started copying anything, it said that the image I'm trying to use is corrupt and refused to do anything.
    Edit: oh and I can't check the checksum stuff anymore, since I already wiped the HDD partition while trying to install from recovery menu. So all the data from the drive is gone, now I just need to get OSX back on it

• T430 external usb 3 hdd

Hello, i have two T430 and on one of them i completly reinstalled windows 8 and now when i connect usb 3 hdd to usb 3 port, system doesn't react on it. If i plug it to usb 2 port it works fine. And it works fine on usb 3 port on another T430 with preinstalled by seller win 8 and drivers.

Did you do a factory reset, from the recovery partition using recovery media or did you (re)install your own copy of Windows? Not sure if it's relevant for Windows8, but did you install USB3 drivers? I know that for Windows7 you need to install a separate set of drivers for USB3 to work. Also, you could check your BIOS and see whether USB3 mode is enabled.
    T530: i7-3630QM, 4 GB DDR3-1600, NVS 5400M, 2x 500GB 7200RPM, 9-cell, HD+ 1600x900, Backlit US, WinXP Pro
    L430: i3-2370M, 4 GB DDR3-1600, HD 3000, 320GB 7200RPM, 6-cell, HD 1366 x 768, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit

• HP Photosmart 5520 Wireless Setup Wizard Hangs, USB fails to install

Hello,
    I bought a HP Photosmart 5520 4 weeks ago. I installed it and setup a wireless connection. It worked for 1 week without flaws.
    After a holiday my HP PS5520 printer lost its wireless connection to the network. I restarted the printer, still no wireless connection. all other devices like iPhones work OK on the wireless network. Tried to run the Wireless Setup Wizard again but the routine hangs (the spinner stops) when searching for routers and no networks are displayed, it hangs. Only a powercord detach can/will hard-restart the printer. After starting the printer, the printer complains that I should us the power butten, but that does not work when it hangs at the wireless setup wizard.
    I tried this routine several times, but the printer hangs every time when searching for routers... Tried manual, reset factory defaults, reset network defaults etc... Wireless is simply impossible to use since it can not be setup.
    So I tried to use the USB port directly attached to my PC. Since the wireless driver was installed, I connected the printer to the PC with USB but then it was marked as a unrecognised device by Windows 7. I tried to add the HP driver manually but when selecting the CD (inf), Windows tells me that the service stoppen (-10)...
    So I installed the software from the CD which pointed me to the online version of the software which I installed. After selecting the USB radiobutton, it tells me to connect the HP PS 5520 which I did, but the HP install window failes to detect that the printer is plugged into the USB port and the printer is installed by Windows as an unknown device.
    I uninstalled the 'unknown device' and tried again, wthout luck. Tried another USB port, Windows installed it again as an unknown device and the HP software failes to pick it up. So after googling I deleted all HP software from my computer (Intel I7 - 8 GB), uninstalled the unknown USB device from windows, rebooted several times, deleted all HP folders and cleaned all temp-folders (I am an IT professional!).
    So, I installed the software again but when the HPO software asks me to attach the USB cable, Windows again installed the 5520 as an unbknown device and the HP software again failes to see that the printer is attached to the PC. 
    Tomorrow I will buy a new printer but since this HP 5520 is only 4 weeks old, I really want to knwo how I can fix
    1 The issue that the HP printer hangs when searching for routers / wireless networks
    2 Windows/HP software to find the HP 5520 through USB 
    I guess nobody will have an answer since Google does not give any help. This post is merely to expose my frustration that HP makes fine printers but failes to deliver issue-free software... I always have issues when setting up HP printers somehow...
    Of coarse I hope that somebody has a clue..... Good night!
    Regards
    Marc Verkade
    Curacao

I have had my 5520 for a couple of years, when intermittently it has dropped off the wireless network, and I have had to reinstall the network. Now it does it every time I switch it on - it has lost the network and password. This is very irritating...

• Installation of Windows 7 via USB External HDD (Boot Camp Assistant)

How do I mount Windows 7 Ultimate disk image (.iso) onto my USB external HDD so that I can boot using that USB external HDD? I have tried reEFIt, but it doesn't work for me. It may be because I did something wrong. I would appreciate a comprehensive guide. Thanks.

i suspect you haven't prepared the USB drive as a boot volume.
    You can absolutely do this. It is detailed on CNET in the following article: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31012_7-20020513-10355804.html

• Do you have to down load from the internet using apple's recover partition, every time you need to do a clean install? or can you make a copy of Mt Lion onto a USB stick and install off that?

Do you have to down load Mountain Lion from the internet every time you need to do a clean install? or can you make a copy of Mt Lion onto a USB stick and install off that?
    Thanks

Yes you can make a USB stick of Lion or Mt Lion. Use Lion Disk Maker after you download OS X from the internet.
    For Lion you have to point the download to an external drive and watch when it completes and reboots the system to start the install disconnect the external. If you bought Mt Lion from the Mac App Store then you can download it from there and just cancel the install when it comes up on the desktop.
    If you are downloading from the Recovery HD or from the Online Internet Recovery system, slightly different then the built in Recovery HD, then again you need to point it to an external drive and discoonect that drive when the system reboots to start the real install.
    Then use Lion disk maker to create either a DVD disc or USB thumb of the install files.

• I currently have a 1Tb HDD installed in my macbook pro and have just recently acquired a 120GB SSD. I want to put the operating system on the SSD so it boots quickly but keep the files on the HDD. How do I do this?

I currently have a 1Tb HDD installed in my macbook pro and have just recently acquired a 120GB SSD. I want to put the operating system on the SSD so it boots quickly but keep the files on the HDD. How do I do this?

i also contacted the company that sold me the battery and they offered me my money back or a new battery
    Suggest that you take them up on their offer of a new battery.  Make sure you got the right one for your model MBP. 
    2 separate MBP battery installation Articles:
    1 -
    MacBook Pro: How to remove or install the battery
    2 -
    MacBook Pro: How to remove or install memory
    =================
    Never post your email address in a public forum.  Spam bots roam public forums looking for "spam victims". 
    If you insist on using your email address in a public forum & you want to "trick" the spam bots, then suggest that instead of using "@" in the email address, use instead the actual word AT.
    Regarding responding to your emal addy, we ask that you post all questions to the appropriate discussion forum. This allows other users and other helpers to have a chance to view and respond to your post. That way, everyone benefits from the exchange.
    Thank you
    I have requested that a HOST remove your email addy.

• HT1948 USB drive with install image is showing in Startup Manager on a Mac Pro, but wont boot. Showing circle with cross strip, and shut down automatically. USB device are made and work on two different MacBook Pro, but used on Mac Pro. Any help?

USB drive with install image is showing in Startup Manager on a Mac Pro, but wont boot. Showing circle with cross strip, and shut down automatically. USB device are made and work on two different MacBook Pro, but used on Mac Pro. Any help?

OS X installers have always been fairly specific, hardware-wise. I haven't read anything reflecting that situation with the Recovery HD, so it may be that the Recovery HD created for the MacBook Pro does not have the necessary drivers for the Mac Pro. Obviously, nothing definitive here, but a possibility.

• How to access files in USB stick when installing from it?

I have prepared my installable USB stick (8G) from Arch 2009.02 ISO file, and copied some configuration files to the USB stick. Everything looks well.
    After the Arch installation (not reboot yet), I want to access my configuration files on the stick, but I just cannot find them. Where has my USB stick been mounted to, and how can I read the files on it?
    I am confused...:rolleyes:

lilsirecho wrote:To mount your USB stick you can mount it as root.  Using sd(x) as an example, mkdir /mnt/sd(x) in /mnt...
    Of course I tried this, but failed. Well, maybe what I said above is not explicit enough. I mean:
    1. the USB stick is just the installable USB stick I used to install Arch;
    2. not mounting the USB stick on the system I've installed, but just on the live arch linux OS that the installable USB stick introduced.
    After all, I was booting from the USB stick, so it may have been mounted. In fact, I can find it by:
      # cat /proc/mounts
    In the output, my USB stick is /dev/sdb1, and the mounted directory is /bootxxx (not remembered, sorry), but I JUST cannot find this directory. So I was confused.
    lilsirecho wrote:...Confused here that you used an .iso to generate a USB stick installer when the download archlinux-2009.02 is available in .img format for both i686 and X86_64...
    Yes, I know there's an IMG file for USB stick. But I don't want to use it, because after I use "dd" command writing the IMG file to the USB stick, the stick became the same size (about 330Mb) as the IMG file. Then how can I copy some other files into this 8G USB stick?
    So, I used archlinux-2009.02 ISO file. I prepared my USB stick by cfdisk, and formated it. I mounted the ISO file to some directory (using abc as an example), and copied all the files in abc to my USB stick, then installed grub on it. Finally, an installable 8G USB stick was made.
    Last edited by cwjiof (2009-02-19 09:24:29)

• I have the apple usb stick to install lion but when I put it into the usb port it does not appear in finder?  How do I get access to it to install?

I have the apple usb stick to install lion but when I put it into the usb port it does not appear in finder?  How do I get access to it to install?

Try one of your other USB ports. Be sure to insert it with the plated fingers pointing upwards.

• HP Pavilion Sleekbook 15 not booting up from USB (to clean install windows)

Hello there, 
    I have been trying to install windows 7 ultimate using from USB on my HP Pavilion Sleekbook 15 (Model: b153cl) but unfortunately even after changing the boot order on bios to the USB device it's still not picking up the USB to clean install windwos 7. 
    Machine came with pre-installed windows 8, and I hate that.
    Can someone help me figure out the issue here... cause i have used the same bootable USB (windows 7) on another machine and it worked without any issues. 
    Thanks 
    Mike

well.. i was just reading this thread, http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/HELP-download/m-p/4240018
    and my problem has been solved... 
    thanks anyway for the prompt response.. 
    Mike
    Huffer wrote:
    Have you turned off secure boot in the BIOS and enabled legacy boot? If the machine originally came with Windows 8 secure boot is enabled by default and it will block booting from Windows 7 media. 

• USB Powered HDD fails - Alu iMac 2.4GHz 21 inch

Hey folks,
    I have an aluminium iMac 2.4GHz 21 inch model.
    I have been using externally powered USB and FW devices for a while and had no issues. However, I just picked up a USB powered HDD and it cannot consistently transfer data. This same drive works perfectly on my Dell laptop, and I tried another USB powered drive from a friend (which I also know works) on my iMac and it has the same problem - cannot do any sort of mass data transfer.
    I have a powered USB 2 hub (4 port Belkin) and obviously three ports on the iMac.
    I also have two externally powered drives, both of which work fine.
    It appears that any transfers from the INTERNAL drive to a USB Powered drive work ok, but any significant transfers from a USB drive (externally powered) to the USB powered drive FAIL.
    I have tried plugging the USB powered drive into the iMac directly, and into the USB powered hub, no difference.
    I suspect that the USB on the iMac just cannot handle either the power requirements or the data throughput requirements.
    The external USB powered drives are:
    Western Digital Passport 250GB.
    Iomega Select 500GB.
    Any hints? Or is this desktop machine just not made to work with USB powered devices???

If your two powered external drives are always connected to the iMac, you should really reformat them to +Mac OS Extended (Journaled)+, and not use a Windows format. There are other limitation to FAT32, because it is an old file system from a time when hard drives were very small. One is that data is not stored as efficiently, so the same files (especially if there are a lot of small files) will take up more space on the drive. Another potential conflict is file naming convention; an allowed file name on one may not be allowed in the other (between a Windows format and a Mac format). There is also no journaling with FAT32, which is a feature that helps with data corruption issues. There are probably other disadvantages to using FAT32 on a Mac.
    As a test with that external USB-powered drive (the one you own), you should use Disk Utility to reformat it to a Mac format. Then, try the file transfer again. If it works, then the cause was the existing formatting, although the exact reason may not be clear. If you need it to be FAT32, you can try using Disk Utility to format it as +MS-DOS (FAT)+. Maybe if the Mac does the formatting, it will resolve this problem, even it is still formatted as FAT32 (and it should still work on a PC).
    When going from Mac format to Windows format on the entire drive, you may want to use the Disk Utility Partition tab, and not the Erase tab. On the Partition tab, reset the +Volume Scheme+ to one partition. Click the Options button and it will show the three possible choices for +Partition Map Scheme+. When you format it as +MS-DOS (FAT)+, select +Master Boot Record+. When you format it as +Mac OS Extended (Journaled)+, select +GUID Partition Table+.

Maybe you are looking for

• Apple TV all of a sudden cannot connect to Wifi

My apple tv just stopped being able to connect to my wifi.  It locates it and all of my other devices, both apple and PC are connected to the Wifi and streaming without a problem.  I've restarted and tried to restore, troubleshoot, disconnect, try an

• Value Mapping replication from SAP

Hi I have gone thru the Blogs and threads related to value mapping replication from SAP. Inmy observervation  http://sap.com/xi/XI/System of SAP BASIS 7.00 still I have some doubts... 1)what is the differnce between ValueMappingReplication(Asynchrono

• How to export SSIS package to File system in SQL Server 2012

I am accessing SSIS package by connecting to a database engine. I wanted to export the SSIS to file system. How to get it done in sql server 2012? I tried Util utility , i got package not present. Let me know what other options are available to expor

• Mail error in Mountain Lion

Hi guys, Here's what happened to my mail after i upgraded to ML Several times already, anyone else experiencing this as well?

• Can no longer broadcast brain 276

Hi When we try to broadcast we get this error: Error loading template 0ANALYSIS_PATTERN Notification Number BRAIN 276  Any idea what could be wrong? The only thing I could find was note 1014795, but I can't see relevance. Our System: 2004S stack 14.