Solaris 9 support for T2000

I know the T2000 comes pre-installed with Solaris 10, but will it run Solaris 9

http://www.sun.com/servers/coolthreads/t2000/specs.xml
no.
Darren

Similar Messages

• Support for AVM ISDN PCMCIA Card in Solaris 10 ?

Hi all,
    I would like to install Solaris 10 on my Toshiba Tecra S1 notebook. Today I use an ISDN-Card (AVM FritzCard, PCMCIA) for dial-up connections under Windows XP. Are there any drivers for ISDN and/or PCMCIA-Cards in Solaris10? Does anyone have any experiences with this issue?
    Every hint would be appreciated.
    Thanks a lot.
    Kindly Regard,
    Holger

Hello.
    There only very poor support for ISDN cards in Solaris. As far as I know only the on-board ISDN card of one of the SparcStation computers is supported (this card is available as S-Bus card for other SparcStation computers).
    I think there is no support for any ISDN card that can be attached to an x86 computer.
    I wrote a driver for USB based ISDN modems that are based on the Winbond 6694 chip myself due to this lack of ISDN support. I tested it under Solaris 9/Sparc.
    Martin

• Also I need ndiswrapper support for solaris 10

I have a linksys -G type router and my computer uses a Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter with SpeedBooster
    which works in Linux like mandrake , debian systems like knoppix and kanotix but their are some buggy like debian also that don't let me change the essid in debian but most linux works with the drivers for my card which are
    04/13/2004 10:01 AM 7,870 BCM43XX.CAT
    03/31/2004 08:44 AM 11,960 BCMWL5.INF
    02/19/2004 11:51 AM 300,928 BCMWL5.SYS
    normally you install the drivers with ndiswrapper -i BCMWL5.INF then use -m to add it too the model loader program in linux which adds wlan0 to ifconfig and iwconfig programs
    which also ndiswrapper requires the source code of the kernel to install the ndiswrapper right , it req. it too compile the drivers, and using the linux gui programs to setup essid and key wep info
    also I use a script in kanotix to use /etc/network/interfaces to load the info on bootup etc.. to get my wireless network card up in linux.
    also how the support for soundblaster sound cards in solaris 10, I have not fingured out if theirs sound yet. freebsd 5.4 seemed to be missing the sound support
    one more thing in bootup of the install program for Solaris 10 my geforce 6800 card detected right but my tv output was all wrong in since the picture , was only on the monitor and tv had stange graphics on it which did not look right I hope nvidia drivers fix this problem , Is their any different command needed for clone mode in Solaris 10 then free86 nd xorg scripts use?

I got the solutiion from Canon Customer Serivce, temporary until the 10.10 download is released.  It works:
    "You can download the latest software updates at this address:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/professional/professional_cameras/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_...
    Please select "OS X Mavericks v10.9" using the drop-down menu on the page.  You have to pick the previous version of Mac OS, because the options for OS X 10.10 Yosemite have not yet been populated.  I sincerely apologize for any confusion this may cause.  After selecting OS X 10.9, please click on the red triangle next to the word "Software" to see the software updates available for your computer.  I would recommend updating all of your software including EOS Utility and Digital Photo Professional."
    I never did find the drop-down menu, but I went into the site map and found what I needed.
    Barry

• Support for 8-bit pseudocolor visuals on Solaris 10 u8 Virtualbox guest

Hello,
    I am running Solaris 10 u8 x86 as a Virtualbox (3.0.8) guest on a WinXP host with a NVIDIA Quadro FX 3500 vcard. I use JDS for the Solaris guest, and only 24-bit truecolor visuals are available for the desktop. I desperately need to run Xnest in 8-bit pseudocolor mode for an application. The video driver supplied with the Vbox Solaris guest additions has limited capability, and I think that until that driver is upgraded, I am out of luck. Does anyone have any different thoughts about that?
    Is there a way to edit xorg.conf to get support for 8-bit pseudocolor overlay graphics? Wouldchanging the video driver in that file from vboxvideo to either VGA or VESA help? Any advice from an X expert would be GREATLY appreciated.
    I've also tried to use svcadm to get the guest to open in 8-bit mode (default depth), but I think that the Vbox video driver (standard and VESA) only support 16- and 32-bit color modes. Is there some other way to get JDS or CDE in the guest to run in 8-bit color?
    Thanks.....

sparcmaster wrote:
    Regarding expense, I was referring to the dual-headed card you suggested, not Xming.ah. my bad. Though most cards nowadays have dual outputs.
    Here is a Vbox report documenting the whole situation, including Sun's replies regarding DirectColor:
    http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/4557
    it looks like you guys were talking past each other.
    >
    Note my outputs of xdpyinfo in there: no Pseudocolor visuals in 24-bit mode in the guest (the cause of my problem). My host NVIDIA card has dual DVI outputs, and I have two monitors; are you saying that I set one monitor in Windows to run in 8-bit, and then run Xming on that monitor, and then set up a remote display for my guest, and try and get the guest to display to that remote display? If so, that could be worth a try. If not, maybe I did not fully understand the idea from your first post. I'd rather not have to go out and buy a new dual-headed card unless absolutely necessary.The problem you have is that virtualbox needs a 8 bit display somewhere to send the output to. Send your end display is a windows display in 24 bit mode, it's a lose since windows won't (at least the last time I looked) allow an 8 bit window in a 24 bit desktop. You could try running the main windows display in 8 bit mode and then starting virtual box, but odds of things going in your favor is not great.
    Your new idea of running a vnc server in 8-bit mode within Solaris is very interesting indeed. I am unfamiliar with vnc. I saw this page:
    http://www.softpanorama.org/Xwindows/VNC/vnc_on_solaris.shtml
    It says that VNC comes with Solaris 10 u5, on the companion CD. I assume that u8 has it also.Somewhere along the line, sun began do bundle vnc as a part of solaris proper. It should be in /bin/vncserver.
    I'll look into that. If you know of any other source of info on vnc, please let me know. Thank you VERY MUCH for the suggestion!!!Here's more or less what you should do:
    1) login to your virtual solaris box
    2) Start up a 8 bit vnc server by typing "vncserver -depth 8 :1"
    3) After the setup questions (if I remember, you need to at least set a password), you can connect to the vncserver by
    typing "vncviewer :1" and entring the password.
    You could also get a windows VNC viewer and connect to the solaris vnc server. This may render faster, since you aren't running the vncviewer in a virtual session.
    4) In the vnc viewer display (which may look funny because the default setup is usually a horriffic twm session), start your Xnest.
    If you want cde, edit your .vnc/xstartup to look like:
    #!/bin/sh
    xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    dtterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    dtwm &
    If you want jds, replace the dttterm/dtwm with gnome-panel.
    -r

• Solaris 8 support for CMD-649

Does Solaris 8 support the CMD-649 PCI to IDE device?
    dp

Currently Solaris 10 is not supported in CSA 5 or the upcoming CSA 6. I am told that they will be adding Solaris 10 for CSA 6 but it is unknown as to when this will be released.

• OpenSSH 4.4p1 packages with PAM support for Solaris 9, 10

As mentioned in a previous post* , I've compiled OpenSSH packages with PAM support for Solaris 9 and 10. They've since been updated to version 4.4p1, and are compiled against a static zlib (1.2.3) and OpenSSL (0.9.8c). You can find them here:
    http://firewallworks.com/downloads/unsupported/Solaris-sparc/
    Regards,
    Greg
    * http://forum.sun.com/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=103378&tstart=105

Yes, zlib 1.2.3 is a requirement. In facts, zlib mentions a 2005 vulnerability fix but I found no matching patch in sunsolve. See
    http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/JGEI-6E7RC3
    I have been wandering whether to replace the official zlib. Linking statically is probably a better idea. Thanks

• Solaris 10 Support for CSA

Is solaris 10 supported for CSA software, I can only see solaris 8 and 9 on the tech specs

Currently Solaris 10 is not supported in CSA 5 or the upcoming CSA 6. I am told that they will be adding Solaris 10 for CSA 6 but it is unknown as to when this will be released.

• HBA support for solaris 10

Hi All
    I need to know which HBA card will support solaris 10.we have sunfire 1280 server, brocade silkworm 12000 and hitachi 9980
    Regards
    RPS

I would beg to differ on this response. This is not a service call and the storage vendor is not responsible for making decisions on what the customer is allowed or not allowed to use.
    EG, I have a Sun StorEdge 9990 (actually a HDS USP 1100 and not the 9990 Lightning series which is on the web site) and I made the call to put the Fibre Channel HBA's of my choice into my systems and I also chose the Cisco 9509 switches. Both HDS and Cisco put out documentation regarding compatibility of the HBA's.
    So, I would suggest RPS check out the Brocade website or sales people and ask them if they recommend anything.
    http://www.brocade.com/products/pdf/Fabric_Aware_Compatibility_Matrix-060521.pdf
    states that the option X6768A is supported for Solaris 10.
    Sun 9980 will work on most of the HBA's available in the system handbook.
    The could be either the rebadged Qlobic or JNI HBA's. You could even use Emulux if you are that way inclined.
    My systems are full of dual channel HBA's such as SG-XPCI2FC-QF2.
    You should also be aware that the 1280 has only one 66 MHz PCI slot. You can upgrade the I/O boat to all 66 MHz slots if you are after good throughput. The upgrade will also give the opportunity to use the 4 Gb HBA if you can find a system to use them on.
    Stephen

• SOLARIS OS Support for Advance Format Hard Drives

Hello,
    I am fairly new to the UNIX Operating System so I'm hoping that someone can help me. Does Solaris support the new Advance Format hard drives (4k sector boundaries)? I cannot find any mention of the advance format drive in the Oracle literature. I believe, based on my recent reading that Open Source Solaris depends on ZFS to handle the support of the new 4kbyte sector size.
    Thank you in advance for any information you can supply.
    Steve

Moderator Action:
    This post has been moved to the Solaris 10 forum.
    @ O.P.,
    You originally posted your inquiry to the Clustering forum, which has nothing to do with the topic of disk cluster size.
    Glance at the documentation for Oracle Cluster 4.0 to see what clustering is all about.

• Does intel latest  mother boareds support for the Solaries 10 OS

Hello Friends this is Mr.MA.Prakash from India. I want to know intel latest mother boards not supporting solaries 10. i tried installing on some intel mother board numbers.
    please suggest, which intel latest mother board support for the solaries 10 operating system.
    thanking u.
    ma.prakash.

I've had a fun time last week setting up an Intel MFSYS25 blade server and MF5000SI quad-core Xeon blades with Solaris 10.
    I only had Solaris 10u4 (8/07) on hand, and it only worked in 32-bit mode (boot with kernel/unix explicitly specified, as in Safe mode descriptor).
    However adding patches (back from Jan 2008) helped, and the system works fine in 64-bit mode.
    I believe it should work with Solaris 10u5 since it includes these patches and newer ones, but haven't checked.

• Clustering support for BEA Weblogic Enterprise for Solaris/SUN HA

Hi,
              Does BEA WLE 5.0.1/5.1 support SUN's SunCluster 2.X HA Framework for the Sun
              Enterprise set of Hardware?
              If not - do you plan to provide support for it in any future releases?
              Thanks and regards
              Mark O'Brien

Look for WLS 10.3 under Oracle rather than BEA group.
    Konstantin

• Enum class not supported for switch() statement in 12.4 beta?

Hi fellow 12.4 beta testers,
    It would appear "enum class" isn't supported for switch() statements in the 12.4 beta. This compiles fine under clang and g++. Will this be fixed for the final release? This currently causes compile errors for us, since __cplusplus >= 201103L evaluates to true, so our code uses "enum class" instead of plain "enum". It looks like the C++11 standard says it should be supported:
       Switching on enum class in C++ 0x - Stack Overflow
    Many thanks,
    Jonathan.
    $ cat test.cpp
    #include <iostream>
    enum class Ternary { KnownFalse = 0, KnownTrue = 1, Unknown = 2 };
    int main( void )
       Ternary foo;
       switch ( foo ) {
          case Ternary::KnownTrue:
          case Ternary::KnownFalse:
          case Ternary::Unknown:
             std::cout << "Success\n";
    $ clang++ -std=c++11 test.cpp
    $ g++ -std=c++11 test.cpp
    $ /opt/SolarisStudio12.4-beta_mar14-solaris-x86/bin/CC -std=c++11 test.cpp
    "test.cpp", line 8: Error: Cannot use Ternary to initialize integral type.
    "test.cpp", line 8: Error: Switch selection expression must be of an integral type.
    "test.cpp", line 9: Error: An integer constant expression is required for a case label.
    "test.cpp", line 10: Error: An integer constant expression is required for a case label.
    "test.cpp", line 11: Error: An integer constant expression is required for a case label.
    5 Error(s) detected.

Thanks for reporting this problem! I have filed bug 18499900.
    BTW, according to the C++11 standard, the code is actually not valid. Section 6.4.2, switch statement, says an implicit conversion to an integral type is required, which is not the case for for a scoped enum (one using the "class enum" syntax). This limitation was raised in the C++ Committee as an issue to be fixed, and the C++14 standard makes the code valid.
    As a workaround, or to make the code conform to C++11, you can add casts to int for the enum variable and the enumerators.
    Message was edited by: Steve_Clamage

• "error: thread-local storage not supported for this target"

I have a program that uses the __thread specifier, to be run on a Solaris 9/UltraSprac.
    I am not able to compile it using gcc 3.4.4 or 4.0.4, it emits the msg "error: thread-local storage not supported for this target".
    xz@gamera% gcc -v -Wall -D_REENTRANT -c -o func_stack.o func_stack.c
    Reading specs from /opt/gcc/3.4.4/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.4.4/specs
    Configured with: ../srcdir/configure --prefix=/opt/gcc/3.4.4 --disable-nls
    Thread model: posix
    gcc version 3.4.4
    /opt/gcc/3.4.4/libexec/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.4.4/cc1 -quiet -v -D_REENTRANT -DMESS func_stack.c -quiet -dumpbase func_stack.c -mcpu=v7 -auxbase-strip func_stack.o -Wall -version -o /var/tmp//cc0poHSN.s
    ignoring nonexistent directory "/usr/local/include"
    ignoring nonexistent directory "/opt/gcc/3.4.4/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.4.4/../../../../sparc-sun-solaris2.8/include"
    #include "..." search starts here:
    #include <...> search starts here:
    /opt/gcc/3.4.4/include
    /opt/gcc/3.4.4/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.4.4/include
    /usr/include
    End of search list.
    GNU C version 3.4.4 (sparc-sun-solaris2.8)
            compiled by GNU C version 3.4.4.
    GGC heuristics: --param ggc-min-expand=100 --param ggc-min-heapsize=131072
    func_stack.c:16: error: thread-local storage not supported for this target
    func_stack.c:17: error: thread-local storage not supported for this target
    func_stack.c:19: error: thread-local storage not supported for this target
    xs@gamera% gcc -v -D_REENTRANT  -c -o func_stack.o func_stack.c
    Using built-in specs.
    Target: sparc-sun-solaris2.9
    Configured with: /net/clpt-v490-0/export/data/bldmstr/20070711_mars_gcc/src/configure --prefix=/usr/sfw --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --enable-checking=release --disable-libmudflap --enable-languages=c,c++ --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --with-cpu=v9 --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld --without-gnu-ld
    gcc version 4.0.4 (gccfss)
    /pkg/gcc/4.0.4/bin/../libexec/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/4.0.4/cc1 -quiet -v -I. -iprefix /pkg/gcc/4.0.4/bin/../lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/4.0.4/ -D__sparcv8 -D_REENTRANT -DMESS func_stack.c -quiet -dumpbase func_stack.c -mcpu=v9 -auxbase-strip func_stack.o -version -m32 -o /tmp/ccjsdswh.s -r /tmp/cc2w4ZRo.ir
    ignoring nonexistent directory "/pkg/gcc/4.0.4/bin/../lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/4.0.4/../../../../sparc-sun-solaris2.9/include"
    ignoring nonexistent directory "/usr/sfw/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/4.0.4/include"
    ignoring nonexistent directory "/usr/sfw/lib/../sparc-sun-solaris2.9/include"
    /pkg/gcc/4.0.4/bin/../lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/4.0.4/include
    /usr/sfw/include
    /usr/include
    End of search list.
    GNU C version 4.0.4 (gccfss) (sparc-sun-solaris2.9)
            compiled by GNU C version 4.0.4 (gccfss).
    func_stack.c:16: error: thread-local storage not supported for this target
    func_stack.c:17: error: thread-local storage not supported for this target
    func_stack.c:19: error: thread-local storage not supported for this targetJust as comparison, the corresponding output of compiling another file which does not have __thread declaration is as follows:
    xz@gamera% gcc -v -Wall -D_REENTRANT -c -o common.o common.c
    Reading specs from /opt/gcc/3.4.4/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.4.4/specs
    Configured with: ../srcdir/configure --prefix=/opt/gcc/3.4.4 --disable-nls
    gcc version 3.4.4
    /opt/gcc/3.4.4/libexec/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.4.4/cc1 -quiet -v -D_REENTRANT -DMESS common.c -quiet -dumpbase common.c -mcpu=v7 -auxbase-strip common.o -Wall -version -o /var/tmp//cc4VxrLz.s
    ignoring nonexistent directory "/opt/gcc/3.4.4/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.4.4/../../../../sparc-sun-solaris2.8/include"
    /opt/gcc/3.4.4/include
    /opt/gcc/3.4.4/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.4.4/include
    /usr/include
    End of search list.
    GNU C version 3.4.4 (sparc-sun-solaris2.8)
            compiled by GNU C version 3.4.4.
    /usr/ccs/bin/as -V -Qy -s -xarch=v8 -o common.o /var/tmp//cc4VxrLz.s
    /usr/ccs/bin/as: Sun WorkShop 6 update 2 Compiler Common 6.2 Solaris_9_CBE 2001/04/02Note that the last 2 lines seem to suggest that a Sun assembler is used as the back-end of gcc. I am not sure whether the failure to compile the first file (with __thread) was due to the incompatibility of this Sun assembler. In the first case, the error msg was emitted before these 2 lines are printed.
    I further read a post about gcc 3.3.3's inability to compile code that has __thread in it, on a HP-UX 11.11: http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1216595175060+28353475&threadId=1148976 The conclusion seems to suggest that "the 2.17 GNU assembler did not support thread local storage" and gcc sees that and thus disallows TLS.
    If the assembler is the culprit, then does anyone know whether this "Sun WorkShop 6 update 2" assembler in my installation can work with TLS? And how come a Sun assembler becomes the back-end of gcc? I read that gas (the GNU assembler) is the default backend of gcc. (How) can one specify the assembler to be used for gcc?
    As an aside, I am able to compile my file on this same Solaris 9/UltraSparc platform using the Sun Studio 12 C Compiler:
    xz@gamera% cc -V -# -D_REENTRANT  -c -o func_stack.o func_stack.c
    cc: Sun C 5.9 SunOS_sparc Patch 124867-01 2007/07/12
    ### Note: NLSPATH = /pkg/SUNWspro/12/prod/bin/../lib/locale/%L/LC_MESSAGES/%N.cat:/pkg/SUNWspro/12/prod/bin/../../lib/locale/%L/LC_MESSAGES/%N.cat
    ###     command line files and options (expanded):
    ### -c -D_REENTRANT  -V func_stack.c -o func_stack.o
    /pkg/SUNWspro/12/prod/bin/acomp -xldscope=global -i func_stack.c -y-fbe -y/pkg/SUNWspro/12/prod/bin/fbe -y-xarch=generic -y-xmemalign=8i -y-o -yfunc_stack.o -y-verbose -y-xthreadvar=no%dynamic -y-comdat -xdbggen=no%stabs+dwarf2+usedonly -V -D_REENTRANT  -m32 -fparam_ir -Qy -D__SunOS_5_9 -D__SUNPRO_C=0x590 -D__SVR4 -D__sun -D__SunOS -D__unix -D__sparc -D__BUILTIN_VA_ARG_INCR -D__C99FEATURES__ -Xa -D__PRAGMA_REDEFINE_EXTNAME -Dunix -Dsun -Dsparc -D__RESTRICT -xc99=%all,no%lib -D__FLT_EVAL_METHOD__=0 -I/pkg/SUNWspro/12/prod/include/cc "-g/pkg/SUNWspro/12/prod/bin/cc -V -D_REENTRANT  -c -o func_stack.o " -fsimple=0 -D__SUN_PREFETCH -destination_ir=yabe
    acomp: Sun C 5.9 SunOS_sparc Patch 124867-01 2007/07/12Interestingly, the output no longer mentions the "/usr/ccs/bin/as: Sun WorkShop 6 update 2" assembler.

Just as another comparison, I compiled a file without __thread on the Solaris 9/UltraSparc platform using gcc 4.0.4. Not surprisingly it worked. But I no longer see the mention of the Sun assembler as in the case of gcc 3.4.4. Nor did I see the mention of "GNU assembler" as in the case of gcc 4.0.4/Solaris 10/x86. Instead, I saw something called "iropt" and "cg". Does anyone know what they are?
    xz@gamera% gcc -v -Wall -D_REENTRANT -c -o common.o common.c
    Using built-in specs.
    Target: sparc-sun-solaris2.9
    Configured with: /net/clpt-v490-0/export/data/bldmstr/20070711_mars_gcc/src/configure --prefix=/usr/sfw --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --enable-checking=release --disable-libmudflap --enable-languages=c,c++ --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --with-cpu=v9 --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld --without-gnu-ld
    gcc version 4.0.4 (gccfss)
    /pkg/gcc/4.0.4/bin/../libexec/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/4.0.4/cc1 -quiet -v -iprefix /pkg/gcc/4.0.4/bin/../lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/4.0.4/ -D__sparcv8 -D_REENTRANT -DMESS common.c -quiet -dumpbase common.c -mcpu=v9 -auxbase-strip common.o -Wall -version -m32 -o /tmp/ccSGJIDD.s -r /tmp/ccKuJz76.ir
    ignoring nonexistent directory "/pkg/gcc/4.0.4/bin/../lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/4.0.4/../../../../sparc-sun-solaris2.9/include"
    ignoring nonexistent directory "/usr/sfw/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/4.0.4/include"
    ignoring nonexistent directory "/usr/sfw/lib/../sparc-sun-solaris2.9/include"
    /pkg/gcc/4.0.4/bin/../lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/4.0.4/include
    /usr/sfw/include
    /usr/include
    End of search list.
    GNU C version 4.0.4 (gccfss) (sparc-sun-solaris2.9)
            compiled by GNU C version 4.0.4 (gccfss).
    /pkg/gcc/4.0.4/SUNW0scgfss/4.0.4/prod/bin/iropt -F -xarch=v8plus -xchip=generic -O1 -xvector=no -xbuiltin=%none -xcache=generic -Qy -h_gcc -o /tmp/ccUl4mVM.ircg /tmp/ccKuJz76.ir -N/dev/null -is /tmp/ccSGJIDD.s
    /pkg/gcc/4.0.4/SUNW0scgfss/4.0.4/prod/bin/cg -Qy -xarch=v8plus -xchip=generic -OO0 -T3 -Qiselect-C0 -Qrm:newregman:coalescing=0 -xcode=abs32 -xcache=generic -xmemalign=8i -il /pkg/gcc/4.0.4/bin/../lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/4.0.4//gccbuiltins.il -xvector=no -xthreadvar=no%dynamic -xbuiltin=%none -Qassembler-ounrefsym=0 -Qiselect-T0 -Qassembler-I -Qassembler-U -comdat -h_gcc -is /tmp/ccSGJIDD.s -ir /tmp/ccUl4mVM.ircg -oo common.o

• Support for virtual IP in WKA list

I am attempting to implement Coherence Grid Edition 3.5.3 Patch 7 . It's running on Sun Java 1.6.06 on a Solaris 5.10 machine (which I will call machine A1) which has an ip address 1.2.3.261. Also, there is a virtual IP address 1.2.3.260 which points to this same machine A1, as well as a hostname that maps to the virtual IP address of the machine A1.
    (Note: I have mocked up the IP addresses in this post for security reasons).
    I am using WKA due to concerns of the local network admins regarding multicast (debatable, but for now let's please assume I need to go with WKA).
    If this production machine A1 develops any problem, we can quickly switch to an alternate machine A2. The alternate machine A2 contains automatically replicated copies of all of our important sub-directories (including the coherence xml configuration files), but it does have a different IP.
    During a failure of machine A1, we would shut down machine A1, start up machine A2, and reroute the virtual IP to alternate machine A2's true IP. Machine A2 would be supplied a copy of the file-system that A1 had when A1 was shutdown.
    We would seek to not have to edit any configuration files on A2. It is difficult to maintain alternate configuration files using our current replication scheme, and any machine-specific customizations are problematic.
    Therefore, we would prefer to list the virtual IP of machines A1 and A2 in the WKA list, rather than the true IP of these machines.
    However, when I attempt to list the virtual IP in the WKA list...
                   <well-known-addresses>
                        <socket-address id="1">
                        <address>1.2.3.260</address> <!--virtual ip -->
                        <port>8088</port>
                        </socket-address>
                   </well-known-addresses>
    ... I get the error below.
    2010-09-03 12:01:51.464/1.401 Oracle Coherence GE 3.5.3/465p7 <D5> (thread=Cluster, member=n/a): Service Cluster joined the cluster with senior service member n/a
    2010-09-03 12:01:54.760/4.697 Oracle Coherence GE 3.5.3/465p7 <Error> (thread=Cluster, member=n/a): Node myhostname/1.2.3.261:8088 is not allowed to create a new cluster; WKA list: [1.2.3.260:8088]
    2010-09-03 12:01:54.760/4.697 Oracle Coherence GE 3.5.3/465p7 <D5> (thread=Cluster, member=n/a): Service Cluster left the cluster
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to start Service "Cluster" (ServiceState=SERVICE_STOPPED, STATE_ANNOUNCE)
    at com.tangosol.coherence.component.util.daemon.queueProcessor.Service.start(Service.CDB:38)
    at com.tangosol.coherence.component.util.daemon.queueProcessor.service.Grid.start(Grid.CDB:38)
    at com.tangosol.coherence.component.net.Cluster.onStart(Cluster.CDB:395)
    at com.tangosol.coherence.component.net.Cluster.start(Cluster.CDB:11)
    at com.tangosol.coherence.component.util.SafeCluster.startCluster(SafeCluster.CDB:3)
    at com.tangosol.coherence.component.util.SafeCluster.restartCluster(SafeCluster.CDB:7)
    at com.tangosol.coherence.component.util.SafeCluster.ensureRunningCluster(SafeCluster.CDB:27)
    at com.tangosol.coherence.component.util.SafeCluster.start(SafeCluster.CDB:2)
    at com.tangosol.net.CacheFactory.ensureCluster(CacheFactory.java:998)
    at com.tangosol.net.DefaultConfigurableCacheFactory.ensureService(DefaultConfigurableCacheFactory.java:905)
    at com.tangosol.net.DefaultCacheServer.start(DefaultCacheServer.java:139)
    at com.tangosol.net.DefaultCacheServer.main(DefaultCacheServer.java:60)
    2010-09-03 12:01:54.763/4.700 Oracle Coherence GE 3.5.3/465p7 <Error> (thread=main, member=n/a): Error while starting cluster: java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to start Service "Cluster" (ServiceState=SERVICE_STOPPED, STATE_ANNOUNCE)
    at com.tangosol.coherence.component.util.daemon.queueProcessor.Service.start(Service.CDB:38)
    at com.tangosol.coherence.component.util.daemon.queueProcessor.service.Grid.start(Grid.CDB:38)
    at com.tangosol.coherence.component.net.Cluster.onStart(Cluster.CDB:395)
    at com.tangosol.coherence.component.net.Cluster.start(Cluster.CDB:11)
    What exactly is being checked here? Does each Coherence instance expect to see it's own IP listed in the WKA list, and refuse to run if it can't find it's own IP on the list?
    Is the instance detecting it's own IP via an operating system call, or is there some way I can influence the instance's sense of what IP it is running on?
    Is there any advice for supporting this kind of virtual IP scenario?
    I have tried listing the hostname with no better success, because the hostname points to the virtual IP, and therefore has the same effect as listing the virtual IP.
    As a workaround, I have altered the WKA list to list of the true IPs of both machines...
                   <well-known-addresses>
                        <socket-address id="1">
                        <address>1.2.3.261</address> <!-- A1 -->
                        <port>8088</port>
                        </socket-address>
                        <socket-address id="2">
                        <address>1.2.3.262</address> <!-- A2 -->
                        <port>8088</port>
                        </socket-address>
                   </well-known-addresses>
    ... even though both machines will never be up and running at the same time. This workaround avoids the error and the cluster appears to come up. I am not sure if there's any ill effect that at any given time one of these two IPs will never be up and running.
    Despite my workaround, true support for virtual IPs would be superior; listing all the true non-virtual IPs in the WKA list means re-editing the list as the hardware changes.
    Thanks for any advice!
    P.S. I tried the above with Coherence 3.5.2 with the same results.
    Edited by: user11114413 on Sep 3, 2010 11:45 AM

Hi user11114413,
    The issue you are seeing actually has little to do with VIP, and more to do with there being multiple IP addresses for us to choose from on your box. For such multi-IP boxes, you'll want to tell us the IP to use, and in your case you want to tell as a VIP. This can be done either by editing your operational configuration file, and including an <address> element within the <unicast-listener> element, or via the tangosol.coherence.localhost system property. For example:
    <unicast-listener>
        <well-known-addresses>
            <socket-address id="1">
                <port>8088</port>
            </socket-address>
        </well-known-addresses>
        <port>8088</port>
    </unicast-listener>or
    java ... -Dtangosol.coherence.localhost=1.2.3.260If you are using the same operational configuration on all nodes in your cluster then the system property approach is likely preferable, and would only be necessary on the two machines sharing the VIP.
    As for using VIP or an extended WKA list, the choice is yours, either will work. If you do go the VIP route, it would obviously be a very bad idea to simultaneously use the same VIP and port at the same time from the two machines.
    thanks,
    Mark
    Oracle Coherence

• TimesTen Cache Connect support for Oracle 11g

The latest 7.0.5 readme mentioned that "Oracle Release 11gR1 is supported with TimesTen Cache Connect to Oracle on Linux x86 32-bit and 64-bit platforms, and on Windows 32-bit."
    What about Solaris 10? It looks like on Solaris 10 only Oracle 10gR2 being supported. What is so specific about Oracle 11?
    Thank you,
    Alex

TimesTen 7.0.5 can be used to cache data from different versions of Oracle database.
    The reason why the support for Solaris, AIX, and HP-UX were not at the same time as the Linux platform was because Oracle database 11g was not available on those platforms initially. So TimesTen 7.0.5 was certified to support only the ones available first, and support for other platforms was added as 11g became available on those platforms. It was just timing of the certification, code base is the same.
    Susan

Maybe you are looking for