Steps to replace Hard drive in T61

Hi,
I need help !!!
I have been using T61 (Windows Vista Ultimate 2GB Ram without Ultra Bay) for the last 1 year. My original hard drive had 80 GB and I decided to upgrade with a Hitachi Travelstar 250GB hard drive. This was a bare drive. I bought the Norton Ghost 14. I loaded the hard drive in a 2.5" enclosure. Norton Ghost says the new drive should be setup as slave before proceeding to copy/image the old hard drive to the new hard drive. I am not sure how to set this up. Can somebody pls let me know how to do this. Is there any other way to upgrade with the stuff I already have.
Any help is appreciated.
Regards
Previsun

I think you did it the other way around. The steps that should be:
1. Install drive image/ghost software.
2. Create boot disk CD using that software with imaging utility on it
3. then...Take out your old HDD, put in new HDD, make old HDD as external Drive.
4. Boot using just created boot disk CD
5. Image your old external HDD on to your new internal HDD using the utility on the boot disk CD
If your software cannot create boot disk with imaging utility on it...
I suggest, try Acronis.. Free full trial ware.
Nothing personal on the preference... simply good software and free... for the purpose at least.
I googled copywipe.
I think you are mistaken the term "image" and "copy".
In our case "image" is also called "ghost". wiki on it ... for more info.
"Image" transfer or "ghost".. is different from "copy". Image/Ghost includes all system state..copy is ..copy
You should have used "image for windows"... not "copywipe" from the same developer's site
I hope i explained it right...
Better explanation or correction from others are very much welcomed.
Good luck!
Message Edited by Mo-T on 12-11-2008 09:42 PM
ThinkPad T61 Windows Vista Business 32 SP1
Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 @ 2.00Ghz 2.00Ghz
4GB RAM

Similar Messages

• MacBook Pro does not boot past apple screen after replacing hard drive

After replacing hard drive on MacBook Pro 13 inch early 2011 model, the screen only boots to the apple logo.  Do I need to re-install the OS?

The problem is that the OS is not in any where else of the MacBook Pro than in the HD / SSD. If you replace the Hard Drive, then you will need to Re-install OSX into that hard drive, it's pretty easy.
    1) Power up your Macbook Pro, as fast as you can press and hold the Option key (ALT). You'll see that it opens the bootable-devices you have, you'll see a Recovery partition, click it.
    (If the Hard Drive contains data do the following)
    2) In the menu select Disk Utility.
    3) In Disk Utility go ahead and select the Hard Drive that is inside the MBP.
    4) Erase the content.
    (If the Hard Drive contains no data continue with the following jumping the last 3 steps).
    5) Select Re-install OSX.
    6) Select the Hard Drive in which you want to install it.
    Follow the steps of everything else (it should take approximately 1 hour to do the whole thing).
    Hope this helps!
    Later.

• How to replace hard drive and transfer everything over?

I've looked everywhere but am unable to find a definitive guide on how to do this.
    Currently I have an early 2011 MBP that came with Snow Leopard and upgraded to Lion later. It has an HDD and I want to replace it with an SSD and transfer everything over to the SSD. Considering Lion created a Recovery partition (and there is also an EFI partition), I'm confused on how to do this the best way to basically copy my current hard drive to the new SSD.
    The best I've figured out is to connect the SSD with a SATA-USB cable, use the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant ( http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1433 ) to create a Recovery partition on the new SSD, then, booting into Recovery, install Lion on the new SSD, and then use Migration Assistant to transfer all my files over.
    Is there a simpler or better-explained way to basically copy my current hard drive over to a new SSD and then remove the HDD and use the SSD?

How to replace or upgrade a drive in a laptop
    Step One: Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions
    Boot from your OS X Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Installer menu (Utilities menu for Tiger, Leopard or Snow Leopard.) After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list.  In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive.  If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer.
    If DU reports errors it cannot fix, then you will need Disk Warrior and/or Tech Tool Pro to repair the drive. If you don't have either of them or if neither of them can fix the drive, then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X.
    Step Two: Remove the old drive and install the new drive.  Place the old drive in an external USB enclosure.  You can buy one at OWC who is also a good vendor for drives.
    Step Three: Boot from the external drive.  Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager appears.  Select the icon for the external drive then click on the downward pointing arrow button.
    Step Four: New Hard Drive Preparation
    1.  Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.
    2. After DU loads select your new hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Note the SMART status of the drive in DU's status area.  If it does not say "Verified" then the drive is failing or has failed and will need replacing.  Otherwise, click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
    3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID (for Intel Macs) or APM (for PPC Macs) then click on the OK button. Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.
    4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.
    5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.
    6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.
    Step Five: Clone the old drive to the new drive
    1. Open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder.
    2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.
    3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.
    4. Check the box labeled Erase destination.
    5. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it to the Destination entry field.
    6. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to the Source entry field.
    7. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.
    Destination means the new internal drive. Source means the old external drive.
    Step Six: Open the Startup Disk preferences and select the new internal volume.  Click on the Restart button.  You should boot from the new drive.  Eject the external drive and disconnect it from the computer.

• Suggestions on replacement hard drive

I'm needing a replacement hard drive for a 733MHz 128MB 40G Quicksilver. Anyone with experience on certain brands?
    Thanks,
    Jason

Jason:
    A 120GB (ATA-100 or ATA-133) drive is perhaps the optimum size... You've confirmed that Mac won't see more than the first 128GB of any drive connected to the native drive bus on the logic board. You may add a drive larger than 120GB to this bus (in case you find a larger drive for less money than a 120GB one), but only the first 128GB will be recognized after formatting. For larger drive internal use at full capacity, you'd need to add a PCI controller card to hook the drive to.
    To physically install the drive, you need to correctly set the jumper pins on the drive and then connect it to the proper connector on the ribbon cable. (I assume that the current drive is working and you'll be duplicating the data on it to the new drive. If I'm wrong, please let me know.) One of the drives will be pinned as master (single master/single drive) and connected to the end of the ribbon cable; the other pinned as slave and connected to the inline connector. They get mounted one above the other in the drive stacking tray that's in the Mac. The new drive will come with the jumpers, mounting screws and a spare ribbon cable, so you'll have all that you need).
    If you need help with this, let us know after you've purchased the drive (pin setting positions vary on different brands). Don't drive yourself crazy with the installation manual that comes with the drive, which is confusing and Windows-oriented. Also note that the accompanying software CD is useless for Macs. You'll instead simply use Disk Utility to initially format (initialize) the drive.
    As for cloning, I think that the most user-friendly software is SuperDuper, which I'm pretty sure you'll find to be a snap to use. (I'm a long time fan of CarbonCopyCloner, but recently tried SuperDuper to familiarize myself with it and was very impressed by how friendly it is.) It walks you through the volume duplication process in a few easy steps.
    Gary
    1GH DP G4 Quicksilver 2002, 400MH B&W rev.2 G3, Mac SE30   Mac OS X (10.4.2)   5G iPod, Epson 2200 & R300 & LW Select 360 Printers, Epson 3200 Scanner

• I am having trouble finding a replacement hard drive

Evidently I blew my hard drive when I installed a web cam.  Now I can't seem to find a replacement hard drive for my z61t through Lenovo online or phone service.  Does anyone have any tips on where I can find a replacement?  I'm so discouraged -- I should have bought a warranty but thought they should guarantee it longer than 1 year so on principle I held out.  Now I am 2 months past warranty and this is where my principles got me!!!  I am a fifty-something technophobe -- can any of you youngsters help me?!?!
    Thank you!

Welcome to the forum!
    At today's low prices for SATA drives, this would be my pick:
     http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10008857
    I have it in my T60p and love it...
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    George
    In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
    Collecting dust: T60
    Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
    Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
    Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

• Replaced hard drive now error

Hi all,
    I replaced hard drive in my t61 series w wdscorpio sata320
    gb, when i try and boot up i get this "initializing link, media test failure check  cable; excluded from boot order ATA HDD2, ATAPI CD1? what does this mean?
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

that means there is no OS (operating system) detected on the hdd. So you just need to install the Operating System.
    Regards,
    Jin Li
    May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
    I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

• Replaced hard drive and iTunes does not recognize my laptop

My 2011 MacBook Pro froze up and when I rebooted the folder error came up.  Replaced hard drive with a SSD drive and my new OS has a new name.  When I logged into ITunes I had to delete an account due to my limit being reached.  My old Mac ID was showing and it was signed up for the cloud at a fee of $24.00.  The same MacBook but with a new hard drive had a new ID and I can not restore any of my pics or ITunes music.  Am I missing a step or can I rename my Mac so it will match my old ID?  If I rename it can I download my old info off of ITunes?? Thanks

I'm not following much of the question and for me it would help to get some terms straight. You only "log into" the iTunes Store (online).  What account was this and what limit??
    Old Mac ID?  Your AppleID is what you use to log into the store. It does not change with computers.  You always use the same one, perhaps updating the email address from time to time.
    By the cloud do you mean iTunes Match?
    Sure, your computer hard drive has a new name (you can rename it -- my series of drives have kept the same name for 23 years now).  That doesn't affect logging into the Store. Start up iTunes, log into the Store using your same Apple ID, download available past purchases, and if you have the Match service download your other music too.   You may have to authorize the computer again.  I don't know which part of the computer is used for authentication and if that got lost with the old drive.

• Ibook not booting, replacing hard drive doesn't help

This one's got me stymied. It's my sister's computer (ibook g4 14" 933mhz 150gb hard drive, 640mb ram). Here are the symptoms:
    1. Starts up past the apple gray screen to a blue screen.
    2. Won't start up from CD either (except hardware test CD)
    3. Started in verbose mode, it comes up with a couple of errors (one about applers232 something or other and the other about applepmuuser). If they would be helpful, I can reboot a couple of times to get them better (it boots past the verbose stuff to a bluescreen).
    Fixes attempted:
    1. Replaced hard drive (reinstalled os x 10.3 via target disk mode from another ibook g4)
    2. Ran Hardware test, no problems detected
    3. Booted into single user mode, fsck checks out fine (several times)
    4. Ran disk utility (via target disk mode) and it comes up clean (not surprisingly)
    5. Reset pram
    6. Reset nvram

Are you able to boot the iBook with the other Mac utilizing TDM?
    If you've not tried that, then that would be my next step. Set up the other Mac for TDM then plug it into the iBook, boot the iBook while holding the option key until you get to the startup mangaer, select the TDM Mac-drive and continue. This will help you determine if the logicboard is shot. If it runs ok with the other Mac in TDM then it most likely is not the logic board, unless its the IDE controller on the board.

• IPod 4th Gen Click Wheel replaced hard drive; problems

Ok, So I replaced the 20gb hard drive with a new EXACT replacement hard drive, no other problems with iPod. But iTunes will not recognize it because the hard drive is not formatted. I tried formating it with Disk Utility but keep getting error messages. Im not sure what format to use. When the 4th gen came out Intel processors werent here so Im sure I need to simply format as Mac OS Extended. There is no HFS= format in Disk Utility. Im lost as to what to do. Please help??!

hmm - curiouser and curiouser
    I've now managed to get it to manually update (after iTunes took 100% of system resources and I had to force quit it...) but that still doesn't really help me with the auto-sync feature which still won't work
    aaaaaaggggggghhhhh

• I went to Mac Store and had replaced hard drive because I encountered 4HDD ERROR(hard drive failure). I had backed up my old hard drive by TIME MACHINE regularly. Now how can I restore everything I had?

I went to Mac Store and had replaced hard drive because I encountered 4HDD ERROR(hard drive failure). I had backed up my old hard drive by TIME MACHINE regularly. Now how can I restore everything I had?

Thanks for your response.
    I had tried COMMAND+ALT+R which led me to directly to INTERNET RECOVERY via wifi. After 1 hour or so it dropped me at the same point.
    I've tried MIGRANT ASSISTANCE as well, it kept on LOOKING FOR OTHER COMPUTERS even though I clicked on TIME MACHINE BACK UP USING EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE
    so what to do now?
    P.S. Guys at MacStore were so careless to even listen to me when I asked them about retrieving back up :(
    Please help

• I have an iMac 21.5 inch purchased in 2011 with a failing 1TB Seagate hard drive. Can I get a replacement hard drive?

I have an iMac 21.5 inch purchased in 2011 with a failing 1TB Seagate hard drive. Can I get a replacement hard drive thru the Apple Replacement Program? I did purchase the Applecare Plan but it expired in Dec. 2013.

FWIW, if you purchased the iMac in 2011 and purchased Applecare, you are covered for a total of 3 years. You mentioned yours expired in December 2013 - that cannot be unless you bought yours in 2010. If you bought it in December 2011, you should still be covered until December 2014 - if so, contact Apple/make a Genius Bar appointment quickly so the replacement is covered by the warranty. The hard drive replacement program might have expired, but as long as you're covered by Applecare, a drive replacement is covered.

• Can anyone help me with advice for a replacement hard drive

Hi there,
    Can anyone help me with advice for a replacement hard drive and RAM upgrade for my Mac Book Pro 5,3
    Its 3 years old & running Snow Leopard 10.6.8
    I do a lot of audio & movie work so performance is important.
    The logic board was replaced last summer & I was advised to replace the hard drive then...oops
    Anyway it has limped on until now but is giving me cause for concern...
    I have found a couple of possibilities below...so if anyone does have a moment to take a look & help me out I would be most grateful
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Scorpio-7200rpm-Internal/dp/B004I9J5OG/r ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356787585&sr=8-1
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-Apple-8GB-Kit/dp/B001PS9UKW/ref=pd_s im_computers_5
    Kind regards
    Nick

Thanks guys that is so helpful :-)
    I will follow your advice Ogelthorpe & see how I get on with the job!!! Virgin territory for me so I may well shout for help once my MBP is in bits!! Is there a guide for duffers for this job anywhere??
    & yes in an ideal world I would be replacing my old MBP but I'm just not in a position to do that at the moment....let's hope things pick up in 2013
    All the very best
    Nick

• My 2010 imac does not recognise my time machine since I had the Seagate replacement hard drive. Any thought from anyone? The External hard drive is a 1 TB seagate

My iMac (2010 intel model) does not recognise or communicate with my external seagate drive as a time machine for back ups since I had the 1TB Seagate replacement hard drive as part of the replacement prgram with OSX LION 10.5.8 installed.
    Is this because I need to update the time machine drive itself?

This excellent Support article may help you solve that TM problem:
           http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

• Replacement hard drive not shown in Disk Utility

So I just finished installing a replacement hard drive for my PB 12". I got a Seagate 2.5" ATA Momentus 5400 etc as per my previous thread. But after firing it up from the install disk, the new volume fails to show up. Anyone else had this problem? And fixed it? Opening up the case again now...

Don't know if your problem solved. Had the same thing happen to me. Was told that new HD was bad (unlikely), Logic board was bad (disaster). Then finally was tole by another tech (OWC) that it sounded like a bad cable connection. Took it apart again and reseated both ends of HD cable a couple of times. Started up and the HD recognized by disk utility. Works great since. Hope your problem as simple as mine.

• How to replace hard drive in macbook pro?

How to replace hard drive in macbook pro?

Hi S,
    If you have the newer unibody style, it's very easy. If it's one of the earlier models, it's considerably more difficult. Go to Apple Menu > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware and find your Model Identifier. Then go to ifixit.com, or powerbookmedic.com or macsales.com or youtube or others and there are illustrated, detailed directions. Good luck to you and post back if you have further questions.

Maybe you are looking for