Suggest good and proven HDD for t400?

Hi All,
Need to upgrade my T400 and T61 HDD. I want to have 7200 RPM 320GB. Is the upgrade quite noticeable, I mean the speed and performance? What can you recommend that is already tried and tested?
Thank you.
Message Edited by taxx007 on 04-08-2009 11:45 AM

firaX wrote:
I tested the Hitachi 7k320 and Seagate 7200.3  320gb 7200rpm hdds. The noise and vibration on the right palmrest were too annoying for me.
Interesting.  I'm running a Hitachi 320G 7200RPM drive in my T400 with no detectable vibration. On my T61, a Seagate 200G 7200RPM drive vibrated like crazy - tried two of them - but a Hitachi 200G drive was pretty close to vibration free.
I'm quite happy with the Hitachi in the T400. It is fast, quiet, and cool.  YMMV.
I  wonder if the reported manufacturing changes in the T-series keyboards and top bezels could explain the difference?
Z.
The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.  The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog
English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество

Similar Messages

• Guys  please suggest good  and  interesting  iBooks!!

Guys  please suggest good  and  interesting  iBooks!!

This community is for the laptop models termed iBook. You will get better answers from the iBooks app community.
    https://discussions.apple.com/community/ibooks

• Can anyone recommend a good and affordable printer for my ipad2?

Can anyone by experience recommend a good and affordable printer for an ipad2?

I thought this might be the one to get for ipad use but I keep reading this printer has aligngment and paper feed problems, bent paper guides...etc unless fault now corrected, also very noisy and ink related problems. Have you heard of any other recommendations?

• Good external FW800 HDD for iMac?

Can anyone recommend a good external FireWire 800 hard drive (or hard drive enclosure) for the iMac? Basically I want something that doesn't look too terrible in case I have to leave it on my desk — i.e., not the usual extruded aluminum tube. Something that even remotely matches the iMac would be nice.
    I would prefer a bare enclosure so I can put a 750GB drive in it, but I'll take recommendations for complete drives if they come in 500GB or larger.
    G-Tech makes some nice stuff, but their prices are a bit silly (e.g., $560 for 500GB when the drive itself costs $200 — $360 is a way too much to pay for the enclosure, no matter how stylish).
    A big plus would be a drive with auto-on/off or some kind of spin-down capability so I wouldn't have to turn it on and off all the time. Having more than one interface (e.g., USB 2.0 along with FW800) would be another plus.
    The closest thing I can find is the LaCie d2, which seems cool but not too expensive, though I'm not sure about its auto-off/spindown functionality.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

I love my Mercury Elite Pro from OWC. They have a ton of pre-configured drives as well as the bare enclosures HERE.
    Whatever you decide, be sure to get a drive with the more reliable Oxford chipset as the more common and cheaper Prolific chipset has given some Mac users fits.

• Satellite S50T-B - Adding RAM and swapping HDD for SSD

HI there,
    I have recently purchased the Satelitte S50t-B laptop and have a few question about upgrading:
    1. What is the recommended RAM to add (8GB)
    2. What is the recommended SSD to add?
    3. Are there any instructions to add RAM and an SSD to my laptop?
    4. Will I void my warranty by installing more RAM and swapping the current hard drive for an SSD?
    Thank you for your help

This notebook is listed on Toshiba page:
    http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/products/computers/satellite/s50/pspq8a-008008/specifications
    - What is the recommended RAM to add (8GB)
    The unit supports 16GB RAM, so you can add an second PC3-12800 8GB DDR3L (1600Mhz) SO-DIMM module (i.e PA5104U-1M8G)
    - 2. What is the recommended SSD to add?
    Its up to you there are different SSD drive on the market and most of the 2.5 SATA SSD drives should be compatible.
    - 3. Are there any instructions to add RAM and an SSD to my laptop?
    It looks like both parts (RAM as well as SSD/HDD) are not user upgradable since there is no separate access to the memory or HDD bay. This means that whole plastic cover at the bottom of the unit needs to be remove in order to get access to these part.
    But as far as I know this would cancel the device warranty!!!
    - 4. Will I void my warranty by installing more RAM and swapping the current hard drive for an SSD?
    If you want to keep the warranty valid, such upgrade should be performed by authorized engineer.

• Whats a good and easy software for making websites?

I need to make a website for our business, not sure how do this.

Website buidling can be tricky, but there are some great online template builders out there. For my personal website, I use SquareSpace. It's cheap ($90 per year), it's easy to use, and it offers great templates.
    Professional website builders need to actually know how to code, which consists of learning computer languages like HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Don't bother yourself with these, as they take extensive training to learn.
    Instead check out these sites:
    www.squarespace.com, www.wix.com, www.wordpress.com, www.zenfolio.com, www.fatcow.com, and www.asmallorange.com.
    In the future, I would go to other forums to ask questions about website building, as it doesn't really pertain to macintosh in particular.
    Hope this helps!

• Any thoughts, cautions, and/or praises for buying a T 61?

As much as I had hoped to hold out for the next model, I am going to bite the bullet and go for a T 61.
    Here is the configuaration:
    •  Core 2 Duo T7250 / 2 GHz •  Centrino Pro •  RAM 1 GB •  HDD 160 GB •  DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM •  GMA X3100 •  Gigabit Ethernet •  WLAN : Bluetooth 2.0 EDR •  802.11 a/b/g/n (draft) •  TPM •  fingerprint reader •  Vista Business •  15.4" Widescreen TFT 1280 x 800 ( WXGA ) •  TopSeller
    If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, cautions, and/or praises for the T 61, I would be very grateful.
    I thank you all in advance.
    MacBook Pro, with an aluminum unibody enclosure **As of September 15, 2008, our company has completely switched to Apple. Having used ThinkPad products for over 10 years, we had desperately tried to find just one reason to continue using these products, to no avail. We are of the view that ThinkPads are no longer premium products. We wish you the best of luck with your ThinkPad! Happy computing…**

The first thing I would do is buy a 2 GB stick of RAM and install it. 1 GB is not really sufficient for Vista. Well, nothing can really fix Vista, but 1 GB will make it worse. 3 GB would be even better.
    The good news is you can buy the RAM and install it yourself MUCH cheaper than if you had ordered it with the machine - sorry, Lenovo.
    The following is a good video on removing the RAM. It's for the T60 but it's exactly the same for the T61:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-63769
    Message Edited by mbhockey13 on 01-23-2008 10:56 AM
    Note from Moderator:  Converted to clickable link.
    Message Edited by nonny on 01-26-2008 11:39 AM
    ThinkPad T61 15 Widescreen with nVidia Quadro graphics 6459CTO
    Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows XP Pro

• Tax Management setting - goods and services

Hello SAP experts,
    In my DMEE for tax declaration (tree type USM1), I need to distinguish tax codes for goods and tax codes for services.
    Is there any setting to distingsuish both type of tax? I have checked the data dictionary for table T007A but I did not find anything relevant.
    If you have any suggestion, please let me know.
    Thanks for your help,
    Cheers,
    Karim

Hi,
    Go to The Bellow Link
    http://help.sap.com/saphelp_470/helpdata/en/8e/a2053b2b19da4ee10000000a11402f/content.htm
    Thanks,
    Raviteja

• HDD for iMac 27" mid 2010 Quad-Core Intel Core i7

I plan to buy iMac Core i7 and hesitating on upgrade the 1TB HDD to 2TB. Worry on the reliability of 2TB HDD. Would like to know what is the exact model of the 1TB and 2TB HDD for iMac Core i7.
    Any kind soul able to disclose the make and model for these two HDD?
    Thanks in advance.

There is no exact model. Apple has supply contracts with 3-4 different HDD manufacturers and which one you get in your machine would be luck of the draw.
    But the HDD would be covered under the warranty, so as long as you keep backups, you'd only have the hassle of being without a system for a short time if it failed.

• I used a partitioned HDD for time machine, using a partition already containing other data files. I am now no longer able to view that partition in Finder. Disk Utility shows it in grey and "not mounted". Any suggestions of how to access the files?

I used a partitioned HDD for time machine, using a partition already containing other data files. I am now no longer able to view that partition in Finder. Disk Utility shows it in grey and "not mounted". Any suggestions of how to access the files? Does using time machine mean that that partition is no longer able to be used as it used to be?
    HDD is a Toshiba 1TB, partitioned into two 500GB partitions.
    OS X version 10.9.2

Yes, sharing a TM disk is a bad idea, and disks are cheap enough so that you don't need to.
    Now
    Have you tried to repair the disk yet

• Pls suggest me some good and compatible external batteries for my hp

pls suggest me some good and compatible external batteries for my hp pavillion g6 2103 model , i prefer good battery life. 

What is m.tech?
    You may want to peruse the NI Developer Zone. There's lots of ideas you can get from there. What are you interested in doing? 

• (NEED TUTORIAL)Please suggest a good and easy to follow tutorial for Java.

Hello there,
    I wish to learn Java. Can some one please suggest me a good and easy to follow tutorial?
    I already have the Tutorial provided by sun.
    Thankyou,
    Satya.

Satya,
    Please go to the New to Java Programming Center:
    /http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/new2java/
    Just cut and past the link above into your browser.
    At the New to Java Center, you'll find lists of beginners materials, articles, tutorials, book recommendations based on your level of experience, a link to subscribe to the new montly email supplement, and more:-)
    A particularly good tutorial is Language Essentials:
    http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/JavaIntro/
    Enjoy! Dana

• I am looking for a good Call Blocking App for my iPhone 5...any suggestions??

I am in need of a good call blocking app for iPhone....please any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

As Randy Landry1 says, Google for "silent ringtone", download and install on you iPhone as a ringtone.
    Now create a contact for the offending phone number. Assign the contact to the silent ringtone and set no vibrate.
    When that number calls it will not ring, nor vibrate. It will light up the screen, but if you do not see that, it will not bother you. They could leave voice mail, but that is easily deleted.
    And if it is a situation where the are violating the do not call list, you can use the missed call log to report the number to the FTC.
    Also, if the calls are abusive or threading, and the leave a voice mail, you something to show the police.

• In preview all is good...burning dvd the music cuts out 2 times in 4 songs...i have turned off all other programs, sleep and energy mode for battery...multiple tries... same result ...help

IDVD - in preview all is good...burning dvd the music cuts out 2 times in 4 songs...i have turned off all other programs, sleep and energy mode for battery...multiple tries... same result ...help

Hi
    No audio on DVD disc.
    Most common origin.
    1. Imported audio from iTunes.
    • In iTunes copy out as an audio-CD .aiff
    • Use this in Your movie project
    2. Low - Free Space on Start-up/Boot/Internal/Mac OS Hard disk makes it hard for iMovie to work as intended.
    Down to 1.3 GB and it doesn’t work - especially audio don’t migrate over to Media Browser
    (iM’08 & 09)
    3. Material in iMovie’08 & 09 - Shared to Media Browser and here selected as Large
    large.m4v. It silenced out this project in iDVD. By making a slight alteration - provocing it to ask for a new Share/Publish to Media Browser and here selecting 640x480 - and audio was back when a new iDVD project was created including this movie.
    176x144
    480x360
    640x480
    720x540    960x540
    4. Strange audio formats like .mp3, .avi etc.
    • Change them to .aiff. Use an audio editor like Audacity (free)
    5. Main audio is set to off in System Preferences - Does this by it self - Don’t know why
    Cheque Audio-Out resp. Audio-In
    6. Ed Hanna
    Had the same problem; some Googling around gave me a kludgy, but effective fix
    Downgrade Perian from recent versions back to version 1.0.
    That worked for me, and so far I haven't encountered any deficiencies—except it takes more advanced versions of Perian to enable QuickTime to handle subtitles in .srt format—that I have noticed.
    7. GarageBand fix.
    In this set audio to 44.1 kHz (Klaus1 suggestion)
    (if this don’t work try 48 kHz - me guessing)
    Before burning the DVD.
    • Do a DiskImage (File menu and down)
    • Double click on the .img file
    • Test it with Apple DVD-player
    If it’s OK then make Your DVD.
    Burn at x1 speed.... (or x4)
    • In iDVD 08 - or - 09
    • Burn from DiskImage with Apple’s Disk Utilities application
    • OR burn with Roxio Toast™ if You got it
    Yours Bengt W

• My 1TB TC has not been working. It flashes a blue color on the indicating light in front and then turn to yellow. My TC was purchased online in my location and has a SR Number of 6F94507UAQG. I intend to use it as an ethernet HDD for back-up

My iTB Time Capsule is not working. I intend to use it as an external ethernet HDD. Can anyone helps? I am currently using a MakBook 13 with newly insatalled Mac Lion OS

There is No overriding EU law on this however there is a directive 1999/44/EC and sets out a general framework on harmonizing complaints and settlement of defects and resulting breaches in contract.
    Under UK law these are the relevant regulations
    Sale of Goods Act 1979
    Supply of Goods (Implied Terms) Act 1973
    Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982
    The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002
    These are considered to be in compliance with the directive in most respects and in some respects exceed the minimum directive definitions.
    The Directive itself adds very little and in some ways actually reduces the consumer (buyers) rights compared to UK laws and regulations.
    The directive sets a maximum period of just two years for which the seller may be held responsible for repairing/replacing pre-existing faults and a period of just two months from identifying the fault and reporting it to the seller.
    As stated above UK law allows a period of 5 years in Scotland and 6 years in the UK and doesn’t have a defined period of identification or reporting of that pre-existing fault
    The UK law also incorporates a minimum period of 6 months of unlimited warranty (Extended to 12 month by most sellers including Apple).
    There is NO provision for unlimited warranty within the EU directive, and all faults are assumed to be pre-existing.
    Pre-existing is very important in all these claims as in UK law it fixes the timeline of the fault using the three definitions in the previous post as being present at the start of the contract (Time of purchase)
    Hence the need for an expert report !

Maybe you are looking for

• Decode function

I am using 10gR2. We can call SQL built-in functions such as SUBSTR, UPPER, LOWER in the RETURN clause of a function, but when we call a decode in there we get PLS-00204 error. How DECODE differs from other built-in functions? Thanks in advance Badri

• Why does my email crash on 5s? Os 7.04

Os 7.04. Mail opens and crashes periodically. From 2-60 seconds after opening mail app.

• Enter your sustem lock pin code to unlock this Mac

Hello need help. blocked by a mac mini and I can not icloud is now unlocked. entered the password 5 characters and it asks 6. tell me what to do? Enter the correct password is sure.

• Which tool will permit me to programmatically fill PDF Forms?

Hello, I am a developer looking to add functionality to a C++ application. I would like to pre-populate some data fields in a PDF and then dispplay the results to my Clients. I have managed to get AcroAXDocShim to pop a modeless dialog box with the o

• PDF files into a single file

I subscribe to Adobe PDFpack...have 24 PDF files for my new book...publisher wants to receive only one (1) PDF file...how to I combine all 24 files into one? [email address removed] Terry