T61p motherboard in T61

Howdy y'all!
I've got an elderly T61 I've become rather fond of after using it for school and decided it could use an upgrade. I'd like an Nvidia motherboard (yes I know about the issues). But I've got two questions.
Firstly: could I use a T61p motherboard in a T61?
Secondly, would that get me anything (looking for an uprated graphics card), and would there be any hardware hacking involved (bigger fan, new heat pipes needed)?
TIA!
Loaded T61, 2011 15" MacBook Pro, 2007 13" Macbook
The trial never ends, Picard.

Hi and welcome to the forum. 
The T61 came in three sizes, 14.1" standard, 14.1" widescreen, and 15.4" widescreen.
The T61p was available in 14.1" standard and 15.4" widescreen only. If you had one of these sizes it would be possible but for a 14.1" widescreen the most powerful GPU option is the nVidia nvs140m. The fx570m is a more powerful chip so performance would be better on 3D graphics that were written to use nVidia and not intel gpu chips but their rate of failure is also higher, at least for those units built before August 2008. What we've seen in the forum is about 2-3times the numbers of fx570m failures being reported and if you consider there were vastly more of the nvs140m laptops out there the conclusion is they are more reliable. It's also been widely reported and confirmed that the nvs140m gpu is basically an under clocked Gforce chip and there are many confirmed successful reports of massively overclocking these chips as much as 70% without any adverse effects or dangerous temps, however I recommend caution when pushing hardware beyond it's design limits, but if you monitor temps and are careful you can probably get performance approaching that of an fx570m. 
Good Luck
ps. If installing an nVidia FX570m board in an NVS140m model no modifications are needed, if installing in an Intel model you will need a discrete heatsink/fan assembly.
ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)

Similar Messages

• Motherboard for T61

I have a T61, 6465-CTO with a bad motherboard. The motherboard that is listed for this unit is the 42W7651 having the Intel GM965 chip. I would like to replace it with a 43Y9048 motherboard with the Nvidia video. (I can buy this board for about $100 less!) I believe this is possible. Are there any pitfalls to watch out for? Would the Centrino duo CPU I now have be compatible with this board and would the display be compatible? Thanks for your help.

Hi andysz,
    Welcome to the Lenovo forum.
    I'd suggest having a look at the T61 Hardware Maintenance Manual. I think the heatsink/fan (HSF) assembly is probably different for the Nvidia vs. the Intel system board. If you're buying just the system board itself (usually the case), the HSF from your Intel board might not work with the Nvidia one.
    But before you spend any more time on your project, I'd encourage you to Google "nvidia failure" or similar. There are many threads such as this one on NBR about problems with the generation of Nvidia GPUs used in the T61 (everywhere they were used, not just in ThinkPads.)
    If you need a faster GPU than the Intel one on your old system board, I'd recommend looking for a new laptop rather than putting an older Nvidia in your T61.
    OTOH maybe you're aware of the potential for trouble and have a reason for wanting the Nvidia anyway?
    Best regards,
    Frank
    Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.
    Did someone help you?
    Say thanks! with a kudo.
    Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else.

• Picked up an Intel motherboard for my T61p

Alright.
    This past week I found an excellent deal on ebay for a T61p motherboard (42W7875, still within frame), 2GHz processor, heatsink, battery, has 1GB memory (which I will still replace), and DVD rom drive. The cost? $50 w/ free shipping. This is the motherboard that supports Penryn CPUs. I'm really excited, and have created this thread in case I have questions when transplanting. One question I have right off of the bat:
    Having a majority of the parts already... how easy will be to swap this into my existing t61p laptop? Will I have to retrofit anything??
    I imagine this would be VERY easy, but wanted to get input from those with the experience.
    jace_curtis
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

**UPDATE**
    The board works!
    Audio Works 
    Ethernet Works
    Video works (So does VGA)
    Sata ports (Booted Into Windows 7 with no hassle)
    Memory Card Slot Works
    Optical Drive Works 
    Keyboard Works
    Heatsink and Fan work
    **Bluetooth, Wireless, and Fingerprint reader not tested yet
    Temps running at 42-44 C (Heatsink OK)
    Piriform Speccy States this is a Type 6463W34, built In January of 08
    Has a T7300 @ 2.0GHz (Merom). I'm going to replace that with the T7700 until I get a Penryn CPU. This gives me opportunity to repaste everything
    Board is a 6463W34 Built In January of 08
    NOTE: Sorry for my first post.. I got a little excited about everything working this far.
    jace_curtis

• Black screen and crash down of T61 due to "Nvidia bug"!

My T61 type is 8891CTO, T7300 2.0GHz, 2G Ram, Windows XP, Nvidia 140M Video Card.
    Recently,  it displays black screen after the windows logo when I start my computer. Even after restoring to the factory state, it blanks off when restarting the system. I restarted the system several times and could hear the sound of hard drive, but I could not see anything on the screen. And now, it can not boot upand I even can not go into the BIOS setting.I don't know why. Please help me out. This problem drives me crazy. Thanks a lot!
    And where could I find the repair station of Lenovo near Ann Arbor, MI, 48105? 
    Message Edited by happiestboy on 01-11-2009 12:45 AM
    Message Edited by happiestboy on 01-11-2009 01:51 AM
    Message Edited by happiestboy on 01-11-2009 01:54 AM
    Message Edited by happiestboy on 01-11-2009 07:37 PM
    Current: T500 2081CTO; T61 8891CTO

sktn77a wrote:
    I think it's a little more complicated than this.  The T61p issue with the 570M video chipset has been well documented and appears to be related to a power issue on the T61p motherboard (although they may not be present in every T61p).  I don't believe this issue exists with the 140 video chipset in the T61 (but others can correct me if I'm wrong).  The mysterious Nvidia "problem" that was identified and widely published earlier this year has been kept a pretty close secret (I don't know if this is the cause of the T61p problem). In your case, it sounds like you just need to send it in under warranty.
    sktn77a wrote:
    happiestboy wrote:
    After searching online, it seems to be due to the Nvidia video card design bug. All the laptops have the video card whose chip is G84 or G86 has the potential to crash and never boot up especially for T61 and T61p series with diecrete video card. Now I was wondering how to deal with it and how Lenovo's technical support help me out.
    Thanks. 
    I think it's a little more complicated than this.  The T61p issue with the 570M video chipset has been well documented and appears to be related to a power issue on the T61p motherboard (although they may not be present in every T61p).  I don't believe this issue exists with the 140 video chipset in the T61 (but others can correct me if I'm wrong).  The mysterious Nvidia "problem" that was identified and widely published earlier this year has been kept a pretty close secret (I don't know if this is the cause of the T61p problem).
    In your case, it sounds like you just need to send it in under warranty.
    In fact, Nvidia has confessed the bug of Nvidia G86 and G84 series, and said to reimburse the computer manufacturers such as Dell, HP, Lenovo, Sony, etc for customer extened warranty, return, repair due to the Nvidia Video Card.
    Here is the Form 10-Q and Form 8-K for Nvidia CORP.
    http://au.us.biz.yahoo.com/e/081202/nvda10-q.html
    http://au.us.biz.yahoo.com/e/081110/nvda8-k.html
    Current: T500 2081CTO; T61 8891CTO

• BIOS locked on T61p - how to unlock it?

The BIOS is locked on my ThinkPad T61p Motherboard FRU 44C3931 – how do I unlock it please?

By locked do you mean locked by a Supervisor Password?
    Information on the different passwords and how to remove them can be found in the Hardware Maintenence Manuals;
    T61p 14" Models     T61p 15.4" Models
    The Supervisor Password cannot be removed without knowing it or changing the motherboard, if the system or the mainboard happen to be second hand you might like to ask the previous owner if they are able to assist.
    Mandatory part; discussion on circumventing security measures, which passwords are, is prohibited by the forum guidelines.    "No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc, or to subvert safety measures. Nor shall any posts provide descriptions to the location of, nor direct links to content related to these topics."
    Andy  ______________________________________
    Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points
    Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.
      Deutsche Community     Comunidad en Español    English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество
    PepperonI blog 

• Intel GM965 & TPFanContr​ol

Hi all,
    Recently "upgraded" my T61p motherboard from a Nvidia gpu to the Intel GM965 gpu.  Everything looks fine so far but one item.  CPU T7800 is running usually below 50 deg but there is no gpu temp showing up under TPFC.  Shows up as "4 gpu n/a (0x7b)"
    Tried a number of temperator sensor software programs in addition to TPFC and still no indication of gpu temp.  And, I read a great deal and searched the forum but can not find the answer to the question of the 965 temp monitoring.  I did see one post that suggested you can sometimes lose a sensor.
    So, for those using the gm 965,  do you have a gpu temp sensing capability.....or, is this always missing in the 965 gpu?  Or, is there some other way to measure the gpu temp?  Or, is the gpu temp so low it doesn't have to be measured?
    Many thanks for any advice.
    Bob
    EDIT:  Additional info.  BIOS is LENOVO 7LETC1WW (2.21), 7/1/2008.  And, the new motherboard is 42W7875.  O/s is Win 7 Ultimate x32.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Welcome to the forum!
    There is no GPU sensor per se on a T61 board with integrated graphics, that's why you're not seeing any results in TPFC.  I wouldn't be concerned about it whatsoever.
    Cheers,
    George
    In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
    Collecting dust: T60
    Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
    Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
    Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

• Viewing Threads Offline - Needs To Be Sorted

When browsing offline, the threads seem to be sorted by "start" date and not last post. We have at the moment for example, two very "hot" threads in the T-Series message board; T61p Graphic and T61 With Advanced Dock. If threads were, for offline browsing, set to last post at the top, a new visitor would see that there is more happening here, than they would at the moment, before having to click to the next page. These threads would naturally remain near the top, or at least on the first page. At some point in time they will of course disappear down the list into the cellar as they are no longer "interesting".
    Seeing "hot" threads, on the first page of a message board, would make a better impression by a first visit.
    just another 0.02 Euro cent worth.
    Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points
    Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.
      Deutsche Community     Comunidad en Español    English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество
    PepperonI blog 

Hi Ganesh,
    Since it is that particular person requirement, ask him to swap delivery date with material group in the report and he can see the result as per need.
    I have checked by using rt click  on material group  then Sort by  ascending  / descending  but  didnot  work .
    This will work based on the preceding values. If you want to maintain results based on material group, place it in first place of rows. Its common behavior of Bex.
    Hope answers your need - Kumar

• Successful T61P Nvidia GPU motherboard swap to T61 Intel GPU

Hi all,
    Just finished my first successful T61 Intel GPU motherboard conversion from a failed T61P with the dreaded "fatal" Nvidia GPU disease.  At a very reasonable price, forum contributor Tuus furnished me with a good used T61 Merom/Intel board with a Middleton bios, which allows for faster Penryn CPU's (up to T9500) and SATA2 speeds on a Merom/Intel motherboard.  I used the on-line Lenovo training videos and the Lenovo system maintenance manuals as a guide, and all went quite well.  Thanks to all previous forum posters for providing me with an incredible knowledgebase of Thinkpad laptop system problems and solutions, and in particular TuuS for sharing his upgrade recommendations and repair experience.         
    T61P- 15.4 WSXGA, Intel 965 GPU, 4GB mem, T9300 CPU, 100gbx7200 rpm HD

Happy to hear that the planar swap went well.
    Enjoy your reborn T61!
    Cheers,
    George
    In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
    Collecting dust: T60
    Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
    Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
    Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

• (solved) T61 swap cpu? (everything you need to know about swapping a T61 or T61p CPU)

Edit: I've summerized everything I've learned in a week long search and added it to this topic, so scroll down and read. You'll save yourself many hours of reading and research. 
    I asked this as part of a prior topic but never got a definite answer, so I'll ask this specific question.
    Can I swap a cpu from one t61 to another?
    Donor system: T61 15.4widescreen with T9300 cpu (2.5ghz, 6mb cache)
    New System: T61 15.4 widescreen with T8100 cpu (2.1ghz, 3mb cache)
    I'd like to know for sure before I begin. Best answer I got so far is "I think so".
    ps. I also have a 14" (non-widescreen) t61 with a T7300 cpu (2.0ghz 4mb cache). I'm thinking the larger cache makes this superior to the T8100 even though it's slightly slower, do you agree? and if not, should I put the leftover T8100 in it? will it fit? more trouble then it's worth? (secondary question, but non-urgent)
    ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

I'm going to add some additional info to this post to help anyone who reads it.
    The T61 / T61p was manufactured with one of two different types of CPUs
    Merom (older)
    Penryn (newer)
    If your system board came with a Merom and you install a Penryn, you'll get a false "thermal error" on boot. There is a 3rd party bios to block that error from posting, but it's unauthorized by Lenovo and should be considered experimental.
    If your system board came with a Penryn, you can install either of the two CPUs.
    If your not sure of which CPU you have, load your bios and it will show you it's intel number. Mine is T9300 (which is a 2.5GB Penryn CPU with 6MB of cache). Go to Intel's website and search that number and towards the top of the page it will say something like "formerly Penryn" (I believe "formerly" is used because they are out of production). 
    Example: http://ark.intel.com/products/33917/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T9300-(6M-Cache-2_50-GHz-800-MHz-FSB)
    Since Penryn is newer, your Merom boards won't be able to run the faster CPUs, so you can either try to find the fastest Merom CPU, or if you want to be daring you can reflash your bios with an unoffical firmware and run the Penryn. Although this has been done successfully with thinkpad enthousiats world-wide, it still won't give you full Penryn support. 
    The fastest Merom processor I know of is that a T61 will run is the T7800 It runs at 2.6ghz and has 4MB cache (note that this is slightly faster ten my 2.5gz Penryn, but my 6MB of cache more then makes up for the slight difference in speed.
    The fastest Penryn processor I know of is that the T61 will run is the T9500 It runs at 2.6ghz and has 6MB cache (some day I'll get one of these when the price in the used parts market drops low enough.
    There are faster processors, but I believe the T61 will not support one with a front size buss rate above 800mhz. *note, if anyone knows if this is possible please contact me and I'll edit this information.
    This should fully explain all the technical details I've discovered during my investigation, but to make this topic more complete, I'll hare a photographic guide showing how to remove and replace your CPU and cooling fan, and also addresses replacing your thermal paste (proper use of thermal paste is a MUST, to much and you could end up with a T61 paperweight, to little and you got the same problem. Basically when the heatsink is tightened down onto your CPU and GPU, it should spread to cover all the chip, with as little as possible overspread. I recommend Artic Silver #5, which is made of 99.9% silver filings. They also make a less expensive version that uses alumimum instead of silver, but given that T61 is known for thermal problems, you don't want to get cheap paste to save yourself all of $5. 
    Buying a new fan should be considered too. You can buy the fan alone for $12 includinng shipping from many ebay sellers. The heatsink and fan can also be purchased as a unit, but your heat sink should last the life of the Laptop. There is also a conductive "pad" that transfers heat from your systemboard chipset. This can be reused, just make sure it is intact and don't allow it to get any dust or finger prints on it. I'd also recommend a can of compressed air to blow out the inside of the laptop. Do this before you remove your cpu, you don't want to be blowing crap into the socket.
    Also be very careful not to bend any pins on the CPU, and inspect the new CPU carefully, a slightly bent pin could miss being detected and if you insert the cpu carelessly, you'll crush it.
    Online guide to replace CPU
    PDF guide (better guide in my opinion)
    If anyone has a suggestion for improving this guide, send me a P.M.
    If you found this information useful, click me some "kudos" so I'll know the time spent in sharing the info I learned is appriciated.

• Tips for blue screen (BSOD) errors with Windows Vista and Intel Turbo Memory on T61/T61p

Important note: The symptoms and solutions described below address only a small subset of the possible causes for blue screen errors, aka BSOD. This information can help address blue screen errors specifically related to Turbo Memory, but may not solve errors related to other issues. Please read through the instructions completely, make sure they apply to your system, and after attempting the solutions please post back with your feedback for the community.
    Some users may experience random blue screen errors with ThinkPad
    systems running Windows Vista with Intel Turbo Memory hardware. These
    blue screens may occur during normal usage on the system or they may
    occur when booting into Windows Vista. Blue screens related to the
    Intel Turbo Memory hardware may reference a stop code of 8086 with
    memory address locations of {0, 0, 0, 0}.
    There are two main steps that you can take to help resolve blue screen issues related to Intel Turbo Memory.
    Step 1: Update Intel Turbo Memory Driver
    If the driver version is before version 1.0.1.1004-7.0.3.1001, please
    update to this version.
    To determine what version of the Intel Turbo Memory driver is installed:
    1.    Click Start, then click Control Panel.
    2.    Click System and Maintenance.
    3.    Click System.
    4.    Click Device Manager.
    5.    Expand the Storage controllers category.
    6.    Double-click Intel Flash Cache Logic Chip.
    7.    Click the Driver tab. Then you will see the driver version (for example, 1.0.1.1004).
    The new driver and installation instructions can be found here.
    Note: The Intel Matrix Storage Driver is updated with this package.
    Step 2: BIOS version
    If your BIOS version is older than those listed below, please update to the version listed.
    How to check your BIOS version:
    Turn off the system.
    Turn on the system.
    While the To interrupt normal startup, press the blue ThinkVantage button message is displayed at the lower-left area of the screen, press the F1 key.
    The
    BIOS Setup Utility menu will be displayed. If you have set a supervisor
    password, the BIOS Setup Utility menu appears after you enter the
    password.
    Check BIOS Version and Embedded Controller Version.
    Turn off the system.
    System BIOS versions:
    ThinkPad T61/T61p (14.1 inch widescreen with IEEE 1394 model) - BIOS version 1.22 (7LET52WW)
    Please
    remember that these updates do not solve every possible system blue
    screen, but they do resolve several problems related to the Intel Turbo
    Memory driver.
    Message Edited by Tim_Lenovo on 11-30-2007 07:03 PM
    Tim Supples
    Lenovo Social Media
    Got a question? Don't PM me, post it on the forum!
    Lenovo Blogs
    X60 Tablet SXGA+ primary, Z61p fully loaded workhorse

Thanks Tim,
    I do have my T61p fully up-to-date to the latest drivers and updates (via System Update and the Drivers&Software web page when the former is not that up-to-date).
    At the moment the most recurrent problem is this:
    http://forum.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&thread.id=55
    which has been longly speculated here:
    http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=47755
    My other angst is the boot-time chkdsk hang-up problem:
    http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=52765&highlight=chkdsk
    I just wonder if this purely a Vista issue when using NV cache, the disk spinning down at almost exactly 1 hour from the beginning of the chdsk operation seems too much of a coincidence.
    This is my T61p configuration:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz
    BIOS version 1.26-1.06
    4GB RAM 2 SO-DIMMs
    nVidia Quadro FX 570m with 512MB VRAM
    WUXGA LCD
    Seagate 7200.2 160 GB
    4GB RAM 2 SO-DIMMs
    Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit (waiting to move to 64bit)
    thanks,
    andrea
    Message Edited by abarbieri on 12-05-2007 03:48 PM
    T61p - 15.4" - T7700 - FX 570M 256MB - 4GB RAM - ST916023AS - 4965AGN - BT - FPR - 9 cell - Vista Ult. x86
    T21p - 14" - PIII 850MHz - S3 Savage/IX 8MB - 512MB RAM - 100GB 7200rpm - WinXP x86

• Deciding on T61 Motherboard or new computer - where to buy and how much

Hello all,
    Bad news, my MB is dead, not  the power jack as I thought.15inch T61. 2007 purchase date.
    How much do the boards go for and where should I buy one? Preferably US supplier.
    Thanks,
    John
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Tuus got right back to me and supplied me with a motherboard and all the instructions to install. He answered any questions I had and made the whole process painless. Great guy.
    Thanks TuuS.

• 6459 (T61p) Parts Availability Motherboards

I have 2 questions for United States T61 owners who have had to replace their motherboards due to NVIDIA GPU failures: 
    How long did it take to turn your machine around from the repair depot?
    Was the repair satisfactory or did you find faults after the machine was retuned to you.?
    My 6459 CTO is now in its fifth week away. It was first repaired twice at the local repair facility in Cancun, Mexico. Both times the replacement motherboards were defective; no TrackPont and then no 1394 port. According to the local repair facility, they were then instructed to send the computer to Lenovo's main Mexican facility in Monterrey, where it has languished for three weeks. 
    I received word yesterday that the Monterrey facility is still waiting for a motherboard to be shipped, maybe next week. Meanwhile, my extended warranty has eaten a month of its life sitting on a repair bench.
    How can a repair facility stock "new" motherboards that are defective out of the box? How can a facility not receive timely shipments of parts?
    What I do know is that when and if I ever receive this computer back, it having been the most troublesome ThinkPad I have ever owned, and I go back to the 701C, it will be the last ThinkPad I ever buy.
    T520 4239-CTO
    T61/p 6459-CTO (Gone but not forgotten)
    A31/p XP Pro 1 gig memory
    A30/p XP Pro 1 gig memory
    TP600 Win 2K 288 mb memory
    701C Win 98 Don't ask

Mixz1,
    I appreciate your highlighting your troubles here and I apologize that the service experience has erroded your confidence. 
    I've replied to your PM and hope for some additional details so we can escalate the situation and investigate the chronology of events and process breakdown.
    Apologies again - I know you have been a longstanding member and supporter in this community!
    Mark
    ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
    Mark Hopkins
    Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
    twitter @lenovoforums
    English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество

• Will a T61P recovery CD work on a T61?

Unfortunately, I didn't make my own recovery CD (T61)  before it was too late !  A friend owns a T61P and I am wondering if he can generate one on his T61P, and whether it will work on my T61?
    Thanks!!!!
    Cheers
    Edit:  I should say that this is in regard to my earlier posting about "NTLDR is Compressed" message ...  just need access to the recovery console

In a word, yes
    PepperonI blog 

• Official 2009 Lenovo T61/T61p Nvidia Video Drivers: Please Consider One Last Update for the Road

The title of this new thread says it all ..... 3 years since the last offical Lenovo T61/T61p Nvidia Video Driver Package release ..... a virtual lifetime in computer science years.
    I'm looking for advice on how to best lobby the technical folks at Lenovo (by phone or here on the Forums) for one last official Lenovo "Nvidia" video driver update for our T61 and T61p units.
    Lenovo's most current "ancient" 2009 Nvidia driver packages (found here),
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS001342
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS003876
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS003605
    all leave quite a bit of 3D (and some 2D) performance laying out there on the table based on my own testing with current modern Nvidia reference drivers on a cloned test mule hard drive (and never once crashed with the newer Nvidia reference drivers under WinXP 32-bit or Win7 32 bit).
    Most all the major 3D gaming benchmarks were nearly doubled, and most importantly, my real world qualitative performance experience seemed even greater than the nearly doubled quantitative benchmark results.
    I'm wondering if starting this new thread would be of any benefit to encourage the good folks at Lenovo to consider one last update after 3+ years?
    Before I go to the trouble of posting my results, it is my hope that Lenovo could simply try the latest Nvidia reference drivers for themselves, tweak them (if even necessary) and then issue one last offical T61/T61p Nivida driver package update for the road .... hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of T61/T61p w/Nvidia GPU units are still in reliable daily service.
    http://www.geforce.com/drivers
    Something to please consider.
    Two (I used to have Five) - T61p 15.4" WS T9300 2.5Ghz units, August 08/08 Builds with FX570M Nvidia Graphics; ... One W520 i7-2860QM w/2000M Nvidia Graphics (most recent acquisition and stupidly fast); .... One - T42 4:3 15" Flexview 1.8GHz with ATI Graphics (still perfect for traveling); ... Two - T500 15.4" units both with ATI HD3650 Graphics.

Hi eecon
    It is considered fortunate that Lenovo provides newer driver for newer OS even after the system was phased out. From what I know, most of the OEM / manufacturers do not provide drivers for newer version of Windows when the product is phased out.
    Furthermore, graphic card vendors (e.g. NVIDIA, Intel, AMD, etc.) oftenly release new drivers and it is hard for manufacturers to catch up with them. Usually, the purpose of OEM providing new driver is to resolve existing issues. If you need performance, get newer drivers directly from vendors website.
    Have a nice day!
    Peter
    W520 (4284-A99)
    Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve | Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future
    =====================================
    Sound Enthusiast and Enhancement (Post comments, share mixes, etc.)
    http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dol​by-Home-Theater-v4-for-most-Lenovo-Laptops/td-p/6...
    http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Slate-Tablets/​IdeaPad-Tablet-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/td-p/7150

• Which motherboards compatible to the 41W1489 motherboard used in my T61 model 7664-16U?

I need a new motherboard. The 41W1489 in my T61 model 7664-16U is dead. Which other motherboards, if any, are compatible? What differences, if any, do those other motherboards have compared to my 41W1489?
    It appears there have been problems with the Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M which I believe is part of my 41W1489 motherboard. If that is true and if the Intel graphics are better, than I would prefer to use a motherboard that has that Intel graphics as long as it is compatible with my model 7664-16U's features and operation.
    Can I simply replace my 41W1489 motherboard with any you tell me are compatible or are there additional things I must do such as, for example, using another plastic base or changing anything else? I am already aware that if there are compatible motherboards that have the Intel video instead of the existing Nvidia video and I use any of those motherboards, I will have to install new drivers for that video.
    Just to be safe, here is a list of some of the features of my machine. If any of them will not work with motherboards that you tell me are compatible with my 41W1489 motherboard, please let me know:
    -modem port & modem motherboard daughter card lenovo fru 39T0495
    -3 usb ports
    -external VGA port
    -dvd burner/cd drive, lenovo fru 39T1851
    -cpu: intel 2.0 GHz T7300
    -bluetooth
    -wifi motherboard daughter card intel 4965AGN
    -sound, including the existing sound ports for microphone and line output
    -firewire 1394 port
    -ethernet port
    -two cards of 2GB PC2-5300 memory, total of 4GB
    -existing 14.1" widescreen display
    Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

Hi! 
    According to your model type you have a 14.1 T61 wide
    T7300(2GHz), 1GB RAM, 120GB 5400rpm HD, 14.1in 1440x900 LCD, 128MB nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11agn, Bluetooth, Modem, 1Gb Ether, UltraNav, Sec Chip, FPR, Turbo Mem, 6c Li-Ion, WinVista Business
     The HMM (Hardware Maintenance Manual) states these two FRU number for Intel boards:
    -41W1487 
    -42W7866  
    I know there are more numbers than these two, but at least you can start searching for those until other forum members can add more FRU's. These Intel boards will need a different heatsink (FRU# 42W2460, 44C0825 ) so you will need to look for one of those too.
    The HMM has documented all steps you need to follow to change/swap parts, I would start downloading it as a first step. You can find it here => click me  
    /L40SX/240/240X/2*340CSE/360PE/365XD/380D/380E/380XD/380Z/390/560E/560X/2*570/2*600/600E/750Cs/755C/760CD/760EL/760XD/770E/A20p/A22p
    A31/i1600/G40/R50p/R61i/S30/SL510/2*T22/4*T4x/11*T6x/6*T4x0x/6*T5x0/3*W5x0/W700/3*X2x/4*X3x/3*X4x/5*X6x/3*X6xT/10*X2xx/2*X200T/4*X30x/Z60m/3*Z61x
    Comunidad en Español  English Community  Deutsche Community   Русскоязычное Сообщество

Maybe you are looking for

• Commission Agent

Hi, I have searched for commission agent config. in forum but didn't find satisfactory answer. I have to map Commission agent scenario in sap, Commission Agent  places sales order to company but ship to party is different. Commission is given to agen

• Terminal showing airport express not local IP

After upgrading to Mavericks, Terminal now shows "brians-airport-express:~Brian$" where it used to be "192:~ Brian$. Any solution besides doing a fresh install?

• Urgent: Hierarchy

Hi, I have one zinfoobject in which i added hierarchy with 3 nodes. Now for those hierarchy nodes data been loaded into the ZTables and created view from those tables. Finally i have to load data into hierarchy through abap code. Now i am confused th

• Repetitive Manufacturing and Planning Strategy 52

Can I run Repetitive Manufacturing on a material with the planning strategy of 52 (Plnng w/o final assem. w/o make-to.stock) ? When i try to perform backflush on the planned orders, i am faced with the following error : <b>Plnd ord. <i>XXXXX</i> is a

• Clean up of Workflow Activities

Hi all, Has anyone a script to clean up workflow manager schema from leftovers? I just find out the following: I have dropped a process flow and later the project, but not the deployed objects (i.e. packages) But the internal scheduling succed to exe