ThinInstaller failing on T500

I have ThinInstaller working in my enviroment (SCCM with UpdateRetriever), but it has stopped working for our T500 models. As far as I can see "all" the other models that I have are working just fine.. (I'v tested T60, T61 and S20 so far)
The tasksequence to copy the thininstaller sofware works fine. And as far as I can se the execution of the thininstaller also works fine, every update that the ThinInstaller finds get installed.
However on my T500 models something "breaks" and the SCCM client(?) stops sending updates to the SCCM server..
Something in the ThinInstaller installation must break the communication to my SCCM server... Anyone?
\Svenn-Erik
Solved!
Go to Solution.

Hi,
We start with the info:
OS is Win7 SP1 x32 Ent. on a T500 22434DG and 22434LG (both failing (4LG brought into me for testing purposes)). Both running newest BIOS update.
The copy task starts and i get the completed message in SCCM. The execution of the thininstaller begins on the target computer and everything gets installed. However SCCM never gets the message that the computer is starting on the installation task. The updatelog on the target computer has no obvious faults in it, and I can't find any unusual return codes. (It is 1.1MB, let me know where you want it and you can post the errors that you find). It failed with abnormal exit codes a few times (no logs), but SCCM did not catch that either.
All BIOS and MS updates has been disabled in the TVUR
This is the candidate list (Resulted order)
WiFi Driver for Intel Cards (For Windows 7 32bit)[reboot type 3]
Intel Wireless WiFi for Windows 7 32-bit[reboot type 3]
Intel AMT 4.2 - ME Interface driver[reboot type 3]
ThinkPad Device Experience for Windows 7[reboot type 0]
ThinkVantage Active Protection System (32bit)[reboot type 3]
Ricoh Multi Card Reader Driver for Windows 7[reboot type 3]
Intel Chipset Support for Windows XP/Vista/7[reboot type 3]
Intel PRO/1000 LAN Adapter Software for Windows Windows7 32 bit[reboot type 0]
Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox(32-bit)[reboot type 0]
Conexant Audio Features for Windows 7[reboot type 3]
Synaptics UltraNav Driver for Win XP, Vista and Win7- WW-[reboot type 3]
ThinkPad Power Management Driver[reboot type 3]
ThinkPad Hotkey Features Integration Package Setup[reboot type 3]
ThinkVantage Access Connections for Windows 7[reboot type 3]
ThinkPad Power Manager[reboot type 3]
ThinkVantage Communications Utility[reboot type 3]
ThinkPad UltraNav Utility[reboot type null]
One of theese breaks the communication with the SCCM server and neither the client or the server can pick up the communication again meaning that the "Continue on error" setting in SCCM won't work either... 
I'll start disabeling from the top...
\Svenn-Erik

Similar Messages

• Thininstaller fails System OS check

We have the new version of the Thininstaller but when running it with a Windows 7. We need the new version because we are deploying Windows 8 images.
    If we look at the logs, it states False in the EvalOS check. It also doesn't show as many Windows 7 versions as previous thininstaller.
    Win7-Pro.SP1 result:false
    Help?
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

I'm running ThinInstaller 1.2.0006 on both Windows 7 and 8.
    My Current Laptops: Thinkpad X1 Carbon and Thinkpad Helix

• T500 LAN failed

Hi,
    I just got my new T500, but I have difficulties to connect to the internet via LAN (stated limited or no connectivity). I called Comcast to make sure nothing wrong with the IP address, and they said seems fine. I even tried to renew the IP via cmd, but failed too. But weird thing happened, sometime I restart the laptop again after IP renew failed, it will come back normal with connection.
    So, any suggestion what should I do? Should I use ThinkVantage to roll back the OS, Im using XP SP3.
    Thanks.
    WL

Hi Andy, hi sys3175.
    Thanks for your suggestions, but I just finally found the solution.
    In its obviousness I barely dare to admit it, but the wrongdoer was the ethernet hub I had to use due to the fact that our LAN is still BNC based and I have no adapter card for my notebook. In my favour there is to say that at the beginning I suspected it, too, but then ruled it out, because
    a) my office pc worked fine with it, when tested (although a rather short test at the beginning), and
    b) I connected my notebook to my collegue's hub, who uses it for over a year (but with her pc), and still had the drop-reconnecting-problem.
    Therefore I assumed a problem with my notebook. But apparently
    a) our office pc's seem to be more tolerant towards connection quality than my notebook. Because when I connected both my pc and my notebook to my hub and this time worked with them the whole day, letting them downloading large amounts of data (>1GB), the pc indeed got "network cable disconnected" messages, but only twice or thrice, while the notebook repeatedly has its dropouts. And
    b) my collegue's hub seems to have the same problem as mine, because today I got the opportunity to connect my notebook to two other, different hubs here at work, and voila, stable connection.
    So the good news is, that probably nothing's wrong with my network card, the bad news, that I either have to get a new hub (not the easiest thing for BNC and probably not worth considering the short remaining time here) or I have to live with the annoying dropouts.
    Sorry for setting you on the wrong path with the network card, but nonetheless thanks for your support.
    Thinkpad T500-2055-2LG | P8600 2.4GHz | 4 GB RAM | ATI HD3650 + Intel GM45 (switchable) | 15.4" LED WXGA+ | Win7 Professional | ATI Catalyst 9.08

• ThinInstaller - all Updates fail with Errors internal error -532459699 / eGatherer: -1066598274

Hi There
    i try to use Thininstaller with SCCM Tasksequence and Windows XP Sp3 on a X201 model
    i use this method already with Windows 7 and Windows Xp with different Models and it works pretty nicely.
    in the above combination i do not get anything installed. in the log file i see that
    a few updated get selected
    Info 2010-12-17 , 04:36:19
     at Tvsu.Coreq.LoadCoreqsProcessor.ProcessUpdatesImplementation(Update[] ups)
    Conexant Audio Software for Windows 7, Vista, and XP[reboot type 3]
    Intel Wireless WiFi Link for Windows XP[reboot type 3]
    Intel Rapid Storage AHCI Driver for Windows 32bit[reboot type 3]
    ThinkPad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate Software II for Windows XP[reboot type 3]
    Thinkpad Integrated Camera Device Driver[reboot type 3]
    STMicro TPM Driver for WinXP 32bit[reboot type 3]
    Intel AMT 6.0 - MEI and SOL driver[reboot type 3]
    Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows XP (GM55)[reboot type 3]
    ThinkPad Modem Adapter[reboot type 3]
    ThinkPad UltraNav Driver for Windows 32-bit[reboot type 3]
    ThinkVantage Access Connections for Windows XP[reboot type 3]
    ThinkPad Wireless WAN (UNDP) Driver[reboot type 3]
    ThinkVantage GPS Version 2.60[reboot type 3]
    but for every piece of software or update i get :
    Info 2010-12-17 , 04:37:11
     at Tvsu.Engine.Process.PackageInstallerProcess.CheckDependencies(Update update)
     Message: Update 6imb05ww is NOT applicable. Error->internal error -532459699, program abort()
    and :
    Info 2010-12-17 , 04:37:14
     at Tvsu.Engine.Process.PackageInstallerProcess.CheckDependencies(Update update)
     Message: Update 85cx28ww is NOT applicable. Error->internal error -1066598274, program abort()
    Severe 2010-12-17 , 04:37:14
     at Tvsu.Engine.Process.PackageInstallerProcess.InstallNewUpdates()
    Info 2010-12-17 , 04:37:14
     at Tvsu.GenericPackageInstaller.GenericPackageInstaller..ctor(Update update)
     Message: Update Local Directory: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\\ThinInstaller\81u716ww\
    does anyone have a hint how to fix this?
    thanks in advance

Hello Herik,
    thanks Herik, your hint regarding the triplet was indeed justified. i recognized that the OS was basically english with an applied language pack and i just had the added language in the repository. that may have cause the 'ist not applicable' error. even though the updates were downloaded and could be installed by manual starting them.
    After i fixed the error with the triplet and added the basic language it worked a little better, hence installing like 6 out of 20 updates.
    the os is pretty simple
    WinXP with SP3 english with german language pack
    .Net Framework 3.5 SP1
    nothing else
    today i rebuild my repository from scratch after recognizing that almost all files were updated lately on the lenovo website regarding this model.
    but unfortunately it still does not work reliably with windows XP -> on Windows 7 it no problem at all.
    it looks like it detects all the suitable updates but does not extract them correctly to be used by the setup command issued later. it looks like this:
    Info 2011-01-07 , 10:33:31
     at Tvsu.Executor.CommandLauncher.ExecuteCommandLine(String dir, String cmd, String args, String _installType, Int64 timeOut, Boolean hide)
     Message: The parameters directory and command stay as follows:
    Command: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\THININ~1\6na127ww\Setup.exe -s
    Directory: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\\ThinInstaller\6na127ww\
     at Tvsu.Executor.CommandLauncher.ExecuteCommandLine(String dir, String cmd, String args, String _installType, Int64 timeOut, Boolean hide)
    Severe 2011-01-07 , 10:33:31
     Message: Error executing command: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\THININ~1\6na127ww\Setup.exe -s
     Exception:
      Type: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception
         at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
       at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
    on verifiying the exsistance of the setup in question i find that for example the 6na127ww.exe is there but could not be extracted.
    if i run the setup in question manually it works like a charm.
    if you need any other information i am happy to supply them.
    the scan detects all those updates:
    Info 2011-01-07 , 10:26:53
     at Tvsu.Coreq.LoadCoreqsProcessor.ProcessUpdatesImplementation(Update[] ups)
    Intel Rapid Storage AHCI Driver for Windows 32bit[reboot type 3]
    ThinkPad Modem Adapter[reboot type 3]
    Help Center[reboot type 3]
    Intel Wireless WiFi Link for Windows XP[reboot type 3]
    ThinkVantage Productivity Center for ThinkPad[reboot type 3]
    Thinkpad Integrated Camera Device Driver[reboot type 3]
    ThinkVantage Active Protection System (32bit)[reboot type 3]
    Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox (32-bit)[reboot type 0]
    Message Center[reboot type 0]
    Intel AMT 6.0 - MEI and SOL driver[reboot type 3]
    Conexant Audio Software for Windows 7, Vista, and XP[reboot type 3]
    Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows XP (GM55)[reboot type 3]
    ThinkPad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate Software II for Windows XP[reboot type 3]
    STMicro TPM Driver for WinXP 32bit[reboot type 3]
    ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software 5.8.5[reboot type 3]
    ThinkPad UltraNav Driver for Windows 32-bit[reboot type 3]
    ThinkPad EasyEject Utility[reboot type 3]
    ThinkVantage Communications Utility[reboot type 3]
    ThinkVantage Access Connections for Windows XP[reboot type 3]
    ThinkPad Wireless WAN (UNDP) Driver[reboot type 3]
    ThinkVantage GPS Version 2.60[reboot type 3]
    and these ones work:
            Message: Intel Rapid Storage AHCI Driver for Windows 32bitupdate with hardware ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B2F&CC_010601 was installed successfully
            Message: Update Intel Rapid Storage AHCI Driver for Windows 32bit was installed successfully
            Message: Update ThinkPad Modem Adapter was installed successfully
            Message: Update Intel Wireless WiFi Link for Windows XP was installed successfully
            Message: Update Thinkpad Integrated Camera Device Driver was installed successfully
            Message: Update ThinkVantage Active Protection System (32bit) was installed successfully
            Message: Update Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox (32-bit) was installed successfully
            Message: Update Intel Chipset Support for Windows XP/Vista/7 was installed successfully
            Message: Update Intel AMT 6.0 - MEI and SOL driver was installed successfully
    and these failed:
            Message: Update ThinkVantage Productivity Center for ThinkPad installation failed
            Message: Update Conexant Audio Software for Windows 7, Vista, and XP installation failed
            Message: Update Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows XP (GM55) installation failed
            Message: Update ThinkPad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate Software II for Windows XP installation failed
            Message: Update STMicro TPM Driver for WinXP 32bit installation failed
            Message: Update ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software 5.8.5 installation failed
            Message: Update ThinkPad UltraNav Driver for Windows 32-bit installation failed
            Message: Update ThinkPad Power Management Driver installation failed
            Message: Because coreq update installation failed, Update ThinkPad EasyEject Utility installation failed
            Message: Because coreq update installation failed, Update ThinkPad Power Manager installation failed
            Message: Because coreq update installation failed, Update ThinkVantage Communications Utility installation failed
            Message: Because coreq update installation failed, Update ThinkVantage Access Connections for Windows XP installation failed
            Message: Because coreq update installation failed, Update ThinkPad Hotkey Features Integration Package Setup installation faile
            Message: Because coreq update installation failed, Update ThinkPad UltraNav Utility installation failed
            Message: Update ThinkPad Wireless WAN (UNDP) Driver installation failed
            Message: Because coreq update installation failed, Update ThinkVantage GPS Version 2.60 installation failed
    thanks

• T500 Adv. minidock usb port fails to power on when docking

When I put my T500 in the dock the USB doesnt always power on .. Anyone experiencing the same problem ?
    Regards,
    Kasper

Hi kasperxb,
    Welcome to the Lenovo forum!
    Are you still having the USB problem? If so - is the port that fails to power on, one of those built into the dock, or one on your T500? What USB devices do you have plugged in?
    Best regards,
    Frank
    Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.
    Did someone help you?
    Say thanks! with a kudo.
    Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else.

• T500 BIOS flash failed

Hi
    I was flashing BIOS on my T500 (from Windows 7 x64) and it failed.
    Now the machine does not boot at all... When it's powered up, it starts beeping (one long, two short beeps).  
    But If there is a flash drive inserved, it wont beep at all. 
    Is there a way to restore the BIOS? - I read about BIOS crisis recovery, but can not find a way to activate this mode.  The warranty expired a month ago, so I cant just go to the service center...
    Any help is greatly appreciated! 
    Thanks!
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

IBMBilly wrote:
    Or are the mods deleting the answers so we have to pay tech support??
    Why on earth would we care?  The mods don't work for Lenovo.
    The only reason we would remove an answer to a problem from public view would be if it violated the forum rules like how to hack a password or something.
    English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество
    Jane
    2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
    I am not a Lenovo Employee.
    I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

• Thininstaller - Power Manager fails to install on T410 - Windows 7 32bit

I have a TVSU Repository set up and it has been working great for us.  I sometimes have to run the thininstaller command again after a machine images if the machine did a silent install of a BIOS upgrade the first time so other updates can't continue.  That is OK for now.
    My biggest concern is that thininstaller isn't installing the Power Manager in Windows 7 for our T410 laptops.  The following line is in the thininstaller log file:
    Info 2010-07-07 , 07:35:32
     at Tvt.FileDownloader.IndexRepositoryDownloader.Download(FileToDownloadBean bean)
     Message: the File to download is completed: \\server\d$\packages\drivers\lenovo\81u411ww\81u411ww_2_.xml
    However - it never actually gets installed. If I manually do an update:
    thininstaller /repository \\server\repository
    It scans through but says no products were found for my system.  That isn't right though, the Power Manager (81u411ww.exe) is available and applicable in the repository.
    I've delete this package from the repository and re-downloaded it and still the same issue.  This seems to be isolated to T410's (2518-F3U) units.
    Any idea why thininstaller isn't installing Power Manager?  I have full log files I can provide but I didn't want to spam this post.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.
    -Chris
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Well, in case anyone else runs into this issue - I am getting around the issue by simply deleting the depencies on the package.  Now ThinInstaller is detecting it correctly on my machines.  I am not exactly sure what version of Power Manager introduced this issue but simply removing the dependencies works for us.

• T500 Updating SATA Driver Fails

I am trying to update the SATA controller driver under Windows 7 Device Manager. I get no response when I
    select "Update Driver".
    W520 4270-CTO | 2720QM | 16 GB RAM | Quadro 1000M | BIOS 1.34 | PwrMgr 3.66 | 256 SSD

Thanks, I would like to try different intel drivers in an effort to maximize SSD performance. There is at least 2 options under storage
    in the T500 driver matrix.
    On my W520, I get an option in device manager on what driver to install.
    W520 4270-CTO | 2720QM | 16 GB RAM | Quadro 1000M | BIOS 1.34 | PwrMgr 3.66 | 256 SSD

• X131e 3371 Active Protection installation failing with thininstaller

I am having and issue with the ThinkVantage Active Protection System is not installing on a new x131e type 3371 and it is setup correctly in Update Retriever and Thininstaller is running and all of the other components install just fine. Is there a pre-request or another package that is supposed to be installed first? Nothing noticeable in the log either?
    Thanks,
    Jason

Hi,
    Check permission on archive log directory as RC =8 means system is not able to access file.
    Thanks
    Sunny

• T500 dvd burner fails hl-dt dvdram gsa-u20n

my dvd burner has failed strangely -- the dvd-r and dvd+r fail to burn. However I can burn cd-r and dvd+rw.
    I have tried many blank disks(dvd-r) . I reloaded to device driver.
    I tried the lenovo diagnostics which give an error code for dvd-r of 2102H 
    and an error code of 0c00h for dvd+r
    Any help on figuring whether the burner hardware is broken or there is some other problem software etc.
    The firware level is HX10  and the driver is usoft, date 7/1/2001, version 5.1.2535.0  

I did finally burn the disk. However, I am going to close out the problem. I borrowed an external burner and was able to burn a a blank dvd that failed to burn previously.
    Somebody suggest to me that I reseat the dvd burner from my laptop. I puled it out pushed it in then it worked one time
    before failing. I then tried puling it in and out several times and it seems to be working. I know this may not be a perfect solution as it indicates that the contacts may have a problem.
    My ultimate thought is to buy an external burner and use the ultra bay(which has the dvd burner) for more storage.
    Thank you for your diagnostic suggestions.
    I'll carry the pcdoctor disk in case I have future problems.

• T500 CD boot fail

I have a T500 (running on XP) with HITACHI HTS542516K9SA00 (160 gb 5400 rpm). The drive is noisy, its not clicking noise but constant hissing that annoys me. (Given that otherwise the ntb is really silent, it annoys me greatly). I wanted to run ftools (Hitachi's feature tool) 2.11. When I try to boot from ftools cd, it starts ok, but stops on 'Loading Hitachi feature tool ...' just a blinking cursor appears in the next row and cd stops spinning.
    What can I do to make it work?
    I burned the image thrice already, that didn't make a difference. Can there be possibly a problem with the tool I burn it with? (Twice I used Roxio creator business edition - came with the ntb; last time using current version of ImgBurn, with the same result.)
    I tried also the lenovo tp hdd firmware update cd, but that one just starts booting and then stops. Is there something wrong with booting from CDs in general? I was able to boot from recovery CD when downgrading to XP.
    Moderator Note; please update your profile with your correct country location as per the forum rules. Products, options and services vary from market to market, also within Europe. Knowing your location helps us help you
    Message Edited by andyP on 09-16-2008 11:49 AM

Hello,
    the data sheets of this program and for this model of drive says that only: Only Spread Spectrum Clocking is changeable.
    And then: WARNING!
    SWITCHING YOUR DRIVE TO SUPPORT 3.0Gb/s OR ENABLING SPREAD SPECTRUM
    CLOCKING ON YOUR DRIVE AND THEN USING IT IN A SYSTEM THAT CANNOT
    SUPPORT THESE FUNCTIONS, MAY RENDER YOUR .
    It seems not possible to change settings on this drive.
    Regards
    Andreas
    Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter! Try the forum search, before first posting: Forum Search Option
    Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
    I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
    TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.
     English Community       Deutsche Community       Comunidad en Español

• T500 Rescue and Recovery fail at boot menu step f

I have been attempting rescue and recovery with the DVDs and when I get to step f the arrow keys don't work. They work for the previous stps and I can't move forward in the recovery without this step - any tips? Thanks so much!

Hello Ladygraye and welcome to community,
    Kindly update the BIOS and then try running the recovery. Also not the maximum supported hard disk capacity for this laptop is 320 GB, 7200 rpm
    Best Regards,
    Tanuj
    Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
    Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

• NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Errors on Lenovo T500 2082-58M running Windows XP.

NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Errors are occurring on
    five out of five Lenovo T500 laptops 2082-58M tested.
    I can get the error to re-occur consistently by installing
    IBM Director Client version 5.20 or 5.23, taking remote control and then within
    the remote session I initiate a PC restart. This re-produces these errors
    without fail.
    I've also received this same error without Director but am
    unable to cause this to re-occur consistently.
    My Findings:
    Changing the BIOS Settings from the default settings of :
    BIOS Config > Display
    Default Primary Video Device:[Internal]
    Boot Display Device:[ThinPad LCD]
    Graphics Device:[Discrete Graphics]
    OS Detection for Switchable Graphics:[Enabled]
    To the following settings resolves the issue though this
    causes the installed and previously working ATI driver not to detect the video
    device.
    BIOS Config > Display
    Graphics Device:[Integrated Graphics]
    OS Detection for Switchable Graphics:[Disabled]
    What I have tried:
    o Updated the BIOS and Drivers to Latest available
    o Re-Installed the Display Driver, Downgraded the
    Display Driver
    o Removed the Display Driver and left BIOS
    settings enabled (NMI errors re-occur)
    To get to the above findings I tried removing /
    re-installing pretty much every driver and disabling every option within the
    BIOS. I am only listing what I believe is now relevant to the identified
    problem. I can provide further information upon request.
     Anyone able to help ?

Hello,
    the switchable gfx doesn´t work in XP. In XP you have to choose gfx options in bios before booting os.
    Please try: 
    Graphics Device:[discrete Graphics]
    OS Detection for Switchable Graphics:[Disabled] 
    Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter! Try the forum search, before first posting: Forum Search Option
    Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
    I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
    TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.
     English Community       Deutsche Community       Comunidad en Español

• Restoration of Lenovo T500 to new hard drive using Rescue & Recovery

I bought a new hard drive and I have been having a frustrating time trying to migrate the image of my hard disk to the new drive. When I bought my T500, it came with Windows Vista Business 64, but I have since downgraded it to Windows XP Pro.
    Up to now, I was faithfully using Norton Ghost 14 to back up my drive to my USB Western Digital MyBook Mirror Edition 1TB drive. However, I get errors when I try to restore the image to my new drive (and I will be posting that issue to Norton's forum).
    While I have not completely given up on Norton Ghost, I decided I might be able to restore the image using the Rescue & Recovery software. I downloaded and installed R&R 4.21.0016.00. After I installed it, I backed up my system to the MyBook Mirror Edition.
    I then shut down the computer and put in the new hard drive (a Western Digital Scorpio Black WD5000BEKT). I used a disc that I burned from the ThinkVantage Create Recovery Media utility to boot the machine. While the environment loads just fine, it does not detect my USB hard drive. NOTE: I didn't make my USB drive bootable, I only stored the backup files there.
    I tried going into the PC Doctor utility and discovered that there is an "unidentified" USB device under the mouse section, which I presume is the MyBook.
    I have hunted high and low for an answer to this both on Lenovo and Western Digital's web sites, but I can't seem to come up with a reason why my drive is not visible to R&R, or a way to load the WD drivers into this recovery environment. I found http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/Rescue-and-Recovery-does-not-recognize-USB-driv..., and I followed the instructions - there is a minus sign next to the USB boot device in the bios. However, saving the bios and rebooting the computer (as the post suggested) does nothing to change that setting.
    I have tried upgrading the bios to the latest version, but still no luck detecting the USB drive.
    I am thinking about resorting to buring a backup of my entire system to DVDs and then restoring using the DVD drive. However, since my current backup is 60GB, I imagine that will take 15 discs.
    Whether that fixes my immediate problem or not (that is, transferring to my new drive), I still don't have an answer for a long term solution in case of hard drive failure. Ghost is not working with my current configuration. And if I use R&R for backup, it will do me no good if I cannot get it to connect to my USB drive to recover. Furthermore, as far as I can tell there is no way to burn an existing restoration point to DVD - meaning I would have absolutely no way to restore if my hard drive failed.
    I have been working on this migration for 3 full days already, and since I had my system images backed up I thought that this would be a trivial task. Any suggestions at this point would be welcomed.

I'm experiencing the same problem. I wanted to restore single files from an USB disk. Two larger file (500MB each) went through that process quite fast (3 minutes). A folder with many small files takes forever.
    What's strange is that my notebook hard drive is at 100% activity all the time, while the USB disk is hardly read.
    Message Edited by gerik on 10-29-2008 02:33 PM

• R400/T400/T500/W500: display driver "amdkmdap" crashes

Executive summary: All current Lenovo ThinkPads with switchable graphics (R400, T400, T500, and W500) have usability issues in connection with Vista and the use of external monitors. For more than half a year, users were plagued by frequent Windows crashes. During that time frame, Lenovo did not comment on the various available reports and complaints. By the end of April 2009, Lenovo resolved many issues by releasing a new official driver. Though several problems, including severe ones, remain as of today. Lenovo has said to be actively working on the remaining issues (without outcomes so far).
    Important information for affected users: If you're having one of the issues reported here, then Lenovo advises you to call your local Lenovo Support. Demand that a case is submitted to hardware engineering. In particular, you should ask for "a CMVC case to be created and escalated". Using these "code words" ensures that your case is properly addressed.
    Old problem description
    On Vista 32 and Vista 64, the ATI display driver "amdkmdap" crashes when an external monitor was active before OR an application (game) using DirectX technology is used. The user typically receives a couple of so-called "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) messages from Vista:
    (Click here for an explanation of the message from Microsoft)
    Sometimes, amdkmdap crashes several times in a row. Then Windows crashes with a so-called "BSOD", likely resulting in data loss. Typically, Windows detects "atikmpag.sys" as the crashing driver. Sometimes, also an instantaneous reboot happens independent of prior TDR crashes. In such a case, no BSOD is displayed.
    The following movie illustrates the phenomenon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBX9QsCmrpY
    This behavior above has been confirmed for the following ThinkPad models: R400, T400, T500, and W500 (see below). Problem reports indicate that the symptoms are often related to playing games and/or the notebook being docked and the external monitor being connected via DVI.
    Though, the presence of these two conditions is not necessary to trigger the driver crash:
    There are reports where no dock was involved and the external monitor was connected directly to the notebook's VGA port.
    Furthermore, there are reports where the notebook was docked and an external monitor was connected to the DVI port.
    So far, there has been no report relating to a monitor being connected to the Display Port which is available on some models. (Possibly because this port is not used.)
    There are a few reports where neither a dock nor an external monitor was involved.
    Playing certain games reliably triggers the crash.
    Steps to reproduce
    While intially (around September 2008 - October 2008) the crash could be triggered easily, the situation is now (December 2008) more complex. The crashes do still occur, though there is no clear pattern anymore. According to various reports, the display driver crash can be triggered as follows:
    Resuming from standby
    Watching a DVD.
    Playing one of these games: Fallout 3, Bioshock, Team Fortress 2, Knights of the Old Republic.
    Arbitrarily during normal work. On a normal working day, the problem occurs at least once.
    Further issues
    Here are more issues which seem to be related. More information can be found in other posts of this thread:
    The notebook display and/or the external monitor runs at a low resolution after resuming from standby.
    After the login both monitors flicker while adjusting the resolution of the monitor.
    The external monitors cannot be activated using Presentation Director.
    The external monitor is blank after docking or undocking.
    There are some reports about display driver crashes on machines running Windows XP.
    The switchable graphics drivers limit the useable RAM under Vista 32 to 2.5GB (i.e. 500MB-1GB less than usual).
    Workarounds
    Lenovo has released a new "tip" document which provides a link to a new driver. Get it here but be sure to read the instructions!
    (Old tips follow below the line. Consider them as obsolete.)
    Here are some tips which might make the problem occur less often. I have not tried all of them. Though, A. and B. have improved the situation for me; your mileage may vary.
    A. If you do not have to use an external monitor, then switch to Intel graphics for time being.
    Otherwise:
    B. Make some changes to your system:
    Disable Aero.
    Create a new profile in the power manager with the following setting: When running on AC, turn off the monitor after 40 minutes. (Thereby, the notebook goes less often to standby.)
    Install the newest graphics drivers.
    Install the newest BIOS.
    Install the newest Hotkey utility.
    Install the newest drivers.
    C. Disable the switchable graphics in the BIOS setup and install modded drivers from ATI (see zilla's post in this thread for instructions).
    The last workaround (C.) has been confirmed to work reliably by several users. Though, thereby you use drivers which have not been tested by Lenovo. It's possible (but not very likely) that damage results by doing so. Also, it might be difficult to install a future Lenovo driver which resolves the issues reported here. Finally, you cannot use the power-saving Intel graphics. Thus, you should only use this workaround if you know what you are doing.
    The programs can be downloaded from the following locations. Notice that System Update does not always offer you immediately the lastest versions.
    R400 and T400 users: Go here.
    T500 and W500 users: Go here.
     User opinions
    "Is there any chance this will be fixed, or should I just get used to my "workstation-class" machine crashing regularly?"
    "I [am] thinking about to sell my w500 if this problems won't be fixed in the next weeks."
    "I've got a T400 w/ Vista 64 and I'll say the Switchable drivers on it S[**]K bad."
    "Unfortunately for Lenovo, our IT Manager is at the point of a awarding a new and rather substantial Enterprise Agreement for our whole organization's PC's, which included a rollout of many new PC's for 2009. The contract was going to go to Lenovo. He mumbled something about HP when I asked him about the state of affairs with my PC... [O]ur firm's IT Manager decided to return all the faulty Lenovo's for a refund and would replace them with HP's."  
    "Is someone from Lenovo paying attention[?]"
    "i'm getting angry with ati and lenovo."
    "there are no new drivers and no ETA for a fix."
    "ThinkPads are supposed to be good, so you'd think there wouldn't be a problem like this."
    "honestly it is completely unacceptable for lenovo to have done nothing this long. I paid extra to get the ATI card, and now I can't hook up my laptop to an external monitor without it crashing. I will probably end up selling the laptop soon since using an external monitor is extremely important to me and lenovo doesn't seem to care about fixing the situation."
    Update:
    - Lenovo support has informed me today (2008-10-24) that they are working on the problem.- changed subject (was: Major troubles with DVI-port and a T400) to reflect new information.- changed message body to reflect new information
    - See MIGR-70490 (dated 2008-09-21) for an official statement from Lenovo.
    - 2008-11-15: The problems are still present and there is still no ETA for a fix.
    - As expected, also R400 models are affected. See below for reports.
    - 2008-11-26: Still no word from Lenovo when the problem will be fixed. Added information on (partial) workarounds.
    - 2008-12-03: Lenovo updated MIGR-70490. Though, problems persist.
    - 2008-12-13: Updated problem description on the basis of new reports.
    - 2008-12-16: Updated problem description on the basis of new reports.
    - 2009-01-07: Updated problem description on the basis of new reports. Still no word from Lenovo. I called Lenovo's customer service in the Netherlands and was promised to receive a callback. Though, so far they didn't (want to) get back to me.
    - 2009-01-08: Updated workaround description on the basis of new reports.
    - 2009-01-10: Updated executive summary on the basis of new reports.
    - 2009-01-14: Updated problem description on the basis of new reports (movie).
    - 2009-01-19: Updated workaround section.
    - 2009-01-21: Happy birthday MIGR-70490! It's now 4 months. Updated workaround section. I called Lenovo's customer service in the Netherlands again.
    - 2009-01-22: Added section "User opinions"
    - 2009-01-23: Updated problem description on the basis of new reports.
    - 2009-01-24: Small updates.
    - 2009-02-02: Small updates.
    - 2009-02-03: Changes to section "Executive summary". Added section "Important information for affected users".
    - 2009-02-04: Update to section "Credits".
    - 2009-02-19: Update to section "Credits".
    - 2009-02-27: Quick update to "Executive summary" and "Workarounds".
    - 2009-03-10: Quick updates to section "Executive summary" and "Important information for affected users".
    - 2009-03-21: Quick update to "Executive summary"
    Credits
    Workaround "Aero off": Bubbi, TonyK
    Workaround "Modded ATI drivers": jtull89,  zilla
    Thanks to Mark_Lenovo and Confederate for their work behind the scenes 
    Thanks to feedback from: ajgiordano, Andy_7575, ben2e, brettgri, bri0831, Brimstar, Bubbi, CodeNameSly, cpueschner, dandill, diablo2man, ewilansky, gaccounts, gan, gandalf7, golffreaksi, Homer, hubertlam, Jiraiya, johnsonjf, jordan_moss, jmark, jtull89, kbarina, lenardg, lukest, misitmichaelf, mlb, MMetts, ojisan, pendaluent, Qot, rmccallen, sarnil, shaofengsd, Snakecharmed, StephanK, tarzan23, Texas1040, TheNewNumber2, TonyK, trickyDick, vedman, Vitalus, Waschbecken, xpnet, xrafx, zilla, ZPrime
     (Please don't expect that this list is complete. I am not paid to keep it accurate and complete and, actually, I have a life besides writing about Lenovo's problems. )
    Original post
    Hi there!
    I have major troubles using a Dell 2709W monitor with my T400. 
    The notebook is attached to a Advanced Mini Dock to which the monitor is connected via DVI.
     The problems are as follows.
    A. Activating the external monitor often fails
    Steps to reproduce:
    1. Attach a Dell 2709W via DVI to an Advanced Mini Dock which is connected to a T40
    2. Start Windows and make sure that the T400 is running on the ATI card.
    => Dell monitor enters power saving mode because no signal is coming.
    3. In Windows use either the Presentation Director, Windows, or the ATI tools to activate the Dell monitor.
    Expected result: The Dell monitor is activated and the Windows desktop is shown on it.
    Actual result: It takes 1-3 seconds for the Dell monitor to display something. The monitor shows the Windows desktop for a short period. Then it's black again and the monitor returns to the power saving mode .
    Analysis: It seems that the Presentation Director, Windows, or the ATI tools (or more aptly, I guess, the ATI driver) expect a quick response from the DVI-port that a monitor is present. If they do not receive the response, the DVI-port is deactivated again. Since the monitor is too slow to respond and enters the power saving mode too quickly, the monitor can hardly ever be activated.
    Suggested change: Change these tools (or the ATI driver) so that they wait longer for a response on the DVI-port.
    B. Resuming from monitor sleep causes Windows to fall back to a low resolution if the Dell monitor was activated before
    Steps to reproduce:
    1. Attach a Dell 2709W via DVI to an Advanced Mini Dock which is connected to a T400
    2. Start Windows and make sure that the T400 is running on the ATI card.
    3. Select the Energy Star profile
    4. Activate the Dell monitor
    5. Don't use Windows until the notebook display and the Dell monitor are set to sleep by Windows.
    6. Wake up the displays (e.g. by pressing some keys)
    Expected result: Both displays are run in the display mode as before.
    Actual result: The Dell monitor still sleeps. The notebook displays is run at a lower resolution (I guess 800x600). The Windows login prompt is not visible and it has to be guessed that it is shown. Though the typical Windows login background is visible. If the password is entered, then Windows can be used again. Though, the resolution is still low and the Dell monitor still sleeps.
    Analysis: It seems that by sending the Dell monitor to sleep, the monitor deactivates the DVI-interface or enters a low-power interface mode. This seems to disturb some component in Windows (the Presentation Director, Windows, the ATI tools, the ATI driver) in a way that Windows only activates the notebook display when it resumes from "monitor sleep".
    Suggested change: Change these tools (or the ATI driver) so that they can cope with the situation that the DVI-interface is deactivated and wait longer for the interface to be in a useable state. Reactivate an external monitor even if it "sleeps very deeply".
    Relevant system information
    - T400 2767-CTO (T9400, 2x2GB RAM, ATI, WXGA+ LED)
    - Advanced Mini Dock
    - Vista 32 Business (German) - fully updated
    - All Lenovo updates via System Update are installed- Dell 2709W
    - The system runs the ATI graphic card in the described scenarios
    Message Edited by Izmi on 05-21-2009 10:34 AM
    Message Edited by Izmi on 06-29-2009 03:13 PM
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Lenovo support made me reinstall presentation director to rule out this component as a factor. After the reinstallation, the amdkmdap-problem is still present. Letting Windows go to standby and waking the system up afterwards, is a reliable method in my case to reproduce the problem on condition that an external monitor was active. The problem does not occur if no external monitor is present.
    A web search for "amdkmdap", "atikmpag","BSOD" with one of the ThinkPad-series names (like "T400") shows that other persons also have this problem with R400s, T400s, T500s, and W500s:
    - t400: Display driver crashes
    - W500 Display Driver
    - My W500
    - T400 Display driver stopped working...
    - T500 Video/Video Driver Issues (2056-4SU)
    - NUS T400 issues
    - T400 Display Driver Issue
    - Vista64 + 4GB RAM + External Display = BSOD
    - R400 problem report (in Chinese)
    - T500 problem report (in Chinese)
    - Bioshock keeps crashing (seems related)
    -  Vista x64, ATI graphics, dock + external LCD = bluescreens? (a report by a W500 user)
    - many problems with lenovo w500
    - another R400 problem report (in Chinese)
    -  Vista BSOD on Lenovo T500 with new Switchable Graphics
    - switchable graphics and external monitor through port replic
    - Problem with Lenovo T500 notebook & external LCD
    - Lenovo ThinkPad T400 - some impressions.
    - T400 freezes with graphics Intense programes
    - Standard Laptop mit ein paar Macken (in German)
    Some possibly related Non-Lenovo cases: 
    - Why Vista crashes so often when dual display is enabled?
    - Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error
    - 4870 vista x64 multi-mon = atikdmag BOOM
    In the cases in which people observe the "amdkmdap"-problem and describe the circumstances, the use of an external monitor is always a factor. These other reports also indicate that it is likely not an issue with the hardware of my notebook (or then a general problem for many batches of these machine types). For it happens a) on many systems and b) on different kinds of systems.
    If others want to contribute to the problem solution, then we should provide Lenovo and ATI a good problem description. So, please add your description.
    Message Edited by Izmi on 02-03-2009 11:53 AM

Maybe you are looking for