ThinkPad T410 OR ThinkPad T400

Dear all appreciate your comments which is better?
ThinkPad T410, Model 2537CTO
Intel® Core™ i5-520M Processor (2.40GHz, 3MB L3, 1066MHz FSB)
1x2 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory
320GB, 7200rpm HDD SATA throughput 3.0GB/s
14.1" 1280x800 WXGA TFT with LED Backlight
NVidia NVS Switchable Graphics 256MB
DVD-RW Multiburner
Intel® Centrino Advanced-N 6200 agn WiFi with AMT/vPro
Bluetooth
56k Modem,
1Gbit LAN,
3G WWAN Ready (Antenna and Sim-Card reader installed but without 3G-module
UltraNav (Multitouch Trackpoint and Touchpad)
TPM Security Chip
Fingerprint Reader
Camera
6c Li-Ion battery
Windows 7 Professional 32 license, WinXP installed
3 years On-Site Warranty NBD
OR
ThinkPad T400, Model 2768CTO
Core2Duo P8600(2.40GHz/1066MHZ/3M),
1x2GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory,
160GB 7200rpm HD,  throughput 1.5GB/s
14.1" 1280x800 WXGA LCD,
256MB ATIRadeon 3470HD Hybrid Graphics
DVD-RW Multiburner
Intel 5100 802.11agn WIFI,
Bluetooth
56k Modem,
1Gbit LAN,
UltraNav (Trackpoint and Touchpad)
TPM Security Chip
Fingerprint Reader
Camera
6c Li-Ion battery
Windows Vista Business 32
3 years On-Site Warranty NBD

Spearoid wrote:
I didn't realize until after the purchase that the ultrabay battery doesn't exist for the T410, which sucks. I do like the layout of the keyboard, speakers, special buttons, and fingerprint scanner better on the T410. The keyboard currently has a flaw that another thread points out. the biggest complaint on my T410 (other than the keyboard issue) is the thickness.  Anyway, now these T Thinkpads are fat beasts....and I just have to live with it....or you can pay more for less performance and hard drive storage on the T410s if you want to go back to the thinness. 
About the ultra-bay battery issue for anyone whom is considering a T410 and needs the ultra-bay battery: consider up-sizing slightly to a T510, since it does support an ultra-bay battery.
About the keyboard issue: Lenovo released a firmware update to fix this a few days ago and it should no longer be an issue
About the thickness and weight: it's funny, I guess it's all a matter of perspective.  My previous laptop was a 3.3 year old Toshiba Qosmio G30, with a 17" 16:10 screen, and it's noticeably much larger in all dimensions and at least 1.5x the weight of my T510 (which is larger and heavier than your T410!).  I was literally shocked at how compact and light my T510 is when I unpacked it, and I'm still impressed with its size and weight vs performance.  No regrets for me in that category.  I just thought I'd throw a bit of the opposite perspective out there for other potential buyers.  Now if only they'd release the keyboard bios fix for my T510....
DOGG wrote:
Spearoid,
I also have a T400 and have upgrading to the T410 for the newer processor and the new keyboard.  However, I heard that the release for the ultrabay was UNDER the Thinkpad on the bottom side, vs. on the side.  Is this true?
Yes this is true.  The slider to release the item in the bay is on the underside of the laptop.  Still trying to figure out why this would be a big issue for anyone, but maybe that's just me.  I've never had a ThinkPad before (nor any laptop with an ultra-bay-like feature) so maybe I just don't realize what I'm missing. 
ThinkPad T510 : i5-540M : 8GB PC-10600 : 500GB 7200rpm : 15.6" HD+ : Intel 6300 : Win7 Pro 64 : 9Cell
Ordered 2/Feb/2010 : Shipped 22/Feb/2010 : Received 3/Mar/2010

Similar Messages

• Problem to come back from sleep mode in Lenovo Thinkpad T400 using Windows XP

Problem to come back from sleep mode  in Lenovo Thinkpad T400 using Windows XP. Each time closing the T400 lid and try to make the laptop into a sleep mode for some time, it does not properly come out of sleep mode. Login screen is able to see when opening the lid for the first time, but it only seen for a while before then a black screen on T400 Thinkpad appears. Sometime the hard drive activity can be shown also. And then, to come back I had only one option to hard re-boot.
    I tried Fn+F4 and power button once to come back but no use.
    Please provide me some solution for this?
    Thanks in Advance.

oh sorry and its been closed inbetween uses. When i open it the keyboard doesn't light up and it makes no sound.

• Customize ThinkPad T400 with discrete graphics

In Customize ThinkPad T400 with discrete graphics,why the Display type didn't have the option of 14.1 WXGA+ TFT, w/ led Backlight, Camera ?
    I just want to buy it.

That LCD option is most likely out of stock. As soon as the LCD panel is in stock, I'm sure the option will be made available for purchase.
    \\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //

• [Solved] bluetooth hardware switch - Thinkpad T400

Hello,
    I've got a Thinkpad T400 with integrated bluetooth, but I don't really use bluetooth, so I want to disable it to save battery power.
    I figured out, how to disable it via laptop-mode-tools on startup, but when I use the hardware switch for Wlan and bluetooth to turn my Wlan on and off again bluetooth starts up again.
    I also figured out that I can disable bluetooth via "echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/bluetooth_enable".
    I want to put that command in a script, that is only executed, when the bluetooth hardware is detected.
    Now I'm wondering if any of you guys knows some script, like that.
    I've already had a look at the udev files, but I couldn't figure out which one will do the job.
    Maybe it's the wrong way and there is a lot easier solution.
    Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated,
    David
    Last edited by senior_spielbergo (2011-04-02 10:20:47)

I do this for disabling Bluetooth on my X220 ThinkPad using Fn + F9.
    I created the file /etc/acpi/actions/bluetooth.sh
    #!/bin/bash
    BT_RFKILL=$(rfkill list | grep tpacpi_bluetooth_sw | sed 's/\([0-9]\+\):.*/\1/')
    BT_STATE=$(/usr/sbin/rfkill list $BT_RFKILL | grep "Soft blocked: yes")
    if [ "x" == "x$BT_STATE" ]; then
    /usr/sbin/rfkill block $BT_RFKILL
    else
    /usr/sbin/rfkill unblock $BT_RFKILL
    fi
    exit 0
    And the file /etc/acpi/events/bluetoothconf
    event=button/f24.*
    action=/etc/acpi/actions/bluetooth.sh
    Restart acpid.
    # systemctl restart acpid.service
    Now I press Fn + F9 to toggle bluetooth off and on.
    Rfkill needs to be installed for this to work.
    Last edited by David Batson (2013-03-05 13:43:37)

• Black shadows appears on bottom of the LCD of my Thinkpad T400 laptop!

There are multiple, technically seven, black shadows appearing on the bottom my lcd like black headlights glowing outwards from the bottom. Sometimes it disappears but now it has appeared agian. I'll be thankful for any suggestion.

Hi Mehran94,
    Welcome to Lenovo Community!
    As per the query we understood that you are facing issue with Display on your ThinkPad T400.
    We have verified the image and the issue is related to LCD panel, but I suggest you to check with reseating the LCD cable on both the side which is connected to the LCD panel and also to the system board.
    Please click here to visit the link on how to remove the system hardware parts.
    Hope this helps.
    Best regards,
    Hemanth Kumar
    Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
    Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

• Thinkpad T400 LCD problem

Dear Lenovo Expertise,
    My thinkpad is T400; 7417-CTO.
    For past one wk, their is a constant "thin yellow" line in the right corner of LCD. It sometimes disappears when I press corner of LCD. But still it re-appears. Its driving me nuts.
    Pls tell me what to do. Do i need to replace it ?
    Regards,
    Dr. Khan

Try eBay:- T400 LCD
    Marketplace of forum.thinkpads.com • Index page is another alternative, personally I recommend the forum as I have bought quite a few things from there.
    Hope it helps.
    Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
    ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]
    IdeaPad: U350
    Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
    Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a Kudos!
    Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution! 
      Lenovo Deutsche Community     Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
    Visit my YouTube Channel

• Thinkpad T400, Win 7 Pro 64bit and sleep

I have a ThinkPad T400 laptop that is running Windows 7 Professional 64bit with SP1. I use a docking station with it as well. When I go home at night, I put the computer to sleep, undock it and take it home with me. On most nights, I don't do anything else with it. When I come in in the morning, I put it in the dock and start it up. However, when I do this, it takes about 5 minutes for the logon screen to appear and another minute or two before I can actually do anything. I've tried different docks with the same result. It isn't hibernating either. Any ideas what may be causing this? I thought Windows 7 was supposed to be fast to resume?

I tend to agree with the suggestion that it's waking from sleep and hibernating. It is at least a strong possibility.
    Does it say "resuming windows"?
    OTOH, 5 minutes plus is way too long for a normal resume from hibernation.  I just tested my T400/Win7 Pro 64.  It takes 30 seconds from power on (resuming from hibernation) to the desktop.  I don't require a login on resume.
    I don't have SP1 installed.  The graphics driver prevents that for now.
    Z.
    The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.  The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog
    English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество

• How to upgrade to windows 7 in Thinkpad T400?

I have brought Thinkpad T400 in 2008, I want to run windows 7. I just know I need to upgrade my BIOS to activate windows 7. I will buy a windows 7 from BestBuy, Is it ok?
     any one can tell me the steps? Thanks a lot.
    My Thinkpad T400 is 2764 CTO,
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, 2261MHz
    ATI Radeon HD3400
    BIOS:
    Version: 7UET43WW(1.13)
    Date: 08/19/2008
    SLIC:
    Vesion: 2.0
    PubKey: LENOVOTP-7U
    Marker: LENOVOTP-7U
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hi,
    As usual, it is strongly recommended to backup all important data prior to upgrading any operating system. It is also strongly recommended to verify all currently used hardware and software with the Windows 7 Compatibility Center.
    Depending on if you are moving from Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Vista there are two different types of installations that can be performed when migrating to Microsoft Windows 7.
    First, it is important to note that there is not an in-place upgrade from Microsoft Windows XP to Windows 7. Instead of an upgrade, there is a type of installation known as a “custom” installation. This option for installation is also available when moving from Windows Vista. A custom installation will attempt to back up your data files and bring them over to Windows 7 in what is known as a “windows.old” folder however this is considered to be a clean installation. Your applications that were installed prior to Windows 7 will require reinstallation. You may find the following resource Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 helpful.
    If moving from Windows Vista, there is an option for an upgrade installation. The upgrade installation must be initiated from within Windows Vista. You may find the following resource Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 helpful.
    Jessica
    Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

• Thinkpad T400S (multitouc​h) Vs. MacBook Pro

Hello,
    I am recently going to purchase a labtop (for work) and am undecided between the Lenovo T400 S (multitouch) and the Mac Book Pro.
    Advantage Thinkpad (previous experience)
    - My last past 3 laptops are Thinkpad (no defect what so ever)
    - Reliable & Strong (I saw about 3 months ago my baby girl (2yrs) standing on the labtop, & it still works )
    - Multiple OS (Windows and Linux) support
    Advantage MacBook
    - Sleek design (Beautiful)
    - MAC OS + Other OS (Windows, Linux, Unix) Compatibility
    - Presentations style are great
    Both are very similar in price (MacBook Pro = Thinkpad +200$ )
    Configuration for both are similar:
    - solid state drive
    - WiFi/WiMax
    - processor very similar
    MacBook advantage:
    - wider screen
    - led screen
    - bigger solid state drive
    T400S advantage:
    - multitouch
    Questions:
    1. Can the T400S support Mac OS? How about Linux (Debian)?
    2. How strong is the casing compared to MacBook Pro or other Thinkpad?
    3. Multitouch compatibility with which OS (Windows, Linux, Unix, MacOS)?
    4. What type of SW works with this multitouch? CAD applications? Google Earth? Office applications? Vi editor?
    5. Can this labtop (in theory) run all these applications: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89sz8ExZndc
    Thanks
    Gus

1. It probably needs some work around to do so, but it is not natively supported out of the box.
    2. Well you can drive a truck over it, and still relatively undamaged in the hdd, motherboard, etc.... LCD is cracked. Don't think you can do that on a macbook pro. Even dropping a macbook pro is not advisable since the hinge on every generation of Macbooks are so fragile, dropping them could cause the cable in these hinges to break.. oh there is not much adjustability in the Macbook Pro screen hinges, so it can go through the 180 degrees of movement like Thinkpads can. 
    Oh Macbook Pro have built in battery, and anyone whom ever use laptops and that knows, built in battery is headache, when you need to replace them. And from the past, you can't really when Apple products battery would decide to kick the bucket on you.
    It also doesn't have docks. When Macbook Pro dies, it dies, whereas Thinkpads you can take it apart and service themselves relatively easily, and use various parts from other thinkpads to resurrect it. Bit like Frankenstein. 
    Thinkpad T400s isn't suppose to directly against Macbook Pro, since there are T400 and T500, W500 and W700 to do that.
    T400s is basically a X301s with bigger screen, more expansion slots and dock connector (Macbooks don't have them). 
    Macbook Pro are well designed machines, but they are restrictive in terms of aftermarket parts, serviceability and upgradability. I would also say reliability with Macbook Pro past certain years of use are not great. 
    Regards,
    Jin Li
    May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
    I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

• Intel PRO/Wirele​ss 5100 drivers for Thinkpad T400 missing from lenovo site

Hi,
    There is wireless drivers missing from lenovo´s download site.
    Link to T400 driver download page:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/documen​t.do?lndocid=MIGR-70439
    has link to here http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/documen​t.do?lndocid=MIGR-62875
    But that old driver that dont support new T400
    Where i can find correct drivers to download
    System info:
    Thinkpad T400 Model:276812G
    Windows XP
    Message Edited by outouser on 09-23-2008 10:47 AM
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Temporary solution.
    Download drivers from intel website
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.asp​x?strTypes=all&ProductID=2963&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go!

• Thinkpad T400 Screen broken

Basically, I set my laptop down on my books too hard, and the LCD cracked(Not horribly, but I want it replaced).
    After a while of searching with lenovo's system, this is what I found:
    http://gyazo.com/b8b094e346dd7263d26c5986d48ea8b5.png
    So I assume I need an LCD with Manufacturer's P/N of 42T0495? Does it have to have that part number, or is it fine to find any other PANEL LGD 14.1" WXGA from a thinkpad, or do I have to have a LCD with the FRU number that is the same as it says on the page?
     Where would you recommend me buy the LCD?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Will this screen work?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/380653720307?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
    According to your posts, I think it does. But I just want to confirm.
    Also, from the photos on eBay, the some LCDs for the screen seem to have different cables on the LCD.
    When I opened up my laptop, I took a look at the back of the LCD, there was no cable runnning down from it.
    T400 screen with no cable running from it:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-R400-T400-14-1-LCD-WXGA-Screen-B141EW05-V-3-42T0699-grade-b-...
    Screen with Cable running down the back:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ThinkPad-T400-14-1-LCD-Screen-Panel-42T0580-42T0581-Samsung-LTN141W1-L05-WXG...
    Or maybe I'm just being really stupid, cause I unplugged a cable when I removed the LCD. Is that what it is?
    Take apart video I used:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2R4oUUM5nc (skip to 3:20 for when he takes off the LCD)
    Thanks so much for your help.

• Thinkpad T400 Blu-ray drive

I recently purchased and Blu-Ray drive, part number 39T2853, for my Thinkpad T400. Can this drive be popped into the Ultraslim bay and used right away? Or do I have to install additional encryption software, firmware, and such? My original drive is a simple DVD-ROM.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

the drive you purchased is for a R61, it has a PATA connection and it is a ultrabay enhanced drive (12.7 mm thick). You would need a Serial ATA Blu-ray Drive in ultrabay slim format (9.5 mm thick)
    Regards,
    Jin Li

• ThinkPad T400 WiMAX mystery !?

As I can see in BIOS there is a WiMAX adapter listed (it is ThinkPad T400 (2768-AD3)) and on Lenovo support page / drivers section for the exact same model lists: Intel WiMAX 6250 AGN and Intel Wireless WiMAX 5150, but upon installation of those, it says: ...no WiMAX adapter was detected on your computer. It is possible to proceed with installation, but nothing happens. So I'm a bit confused here, does it actually have WiMAX adapter or does it not have??
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hi,
    Does the BIOS actually say WiMAX?  The Quick Path spec on your MTM is:
    Base 2767-2KG: P8600(2.4GHz), 2GB RAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, 14.1in 1440x900 , 256MB ATI Radeon HD3470, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11agn, Vodafone WWAN, Bluetooth, Modem, 1Gb Ether, UltraNav, Sec Chip, FPR, Camera, 9c Li-Ion, WinVista Bus 32
    Z.
    The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.  The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog
    English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество

• Thinkpad T400 and frame buffer 1440x900

Hello!
    I can't get the frame buffer working at the native resolution 1440x900 on my Thinkpad T400.
    Have added the vga option at the kernel line in Grub.
    kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda6 ro devfs=nomount vga=0x355
    Have tested with 354, 355 and 356. The screen just goes black.
    Here is some info I used.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions
    Orjanp

If you have an nvidia card, try vga=0x365. That's what I use on my Dell laptop with a Quadro NVS 135M driving a 1440x900 screen.
    Failing that, use vga=ask and it will give you a list of all the modes the card you have supports.

• IBM Lenovo ThinkPad T400

IBM Lenovo ThinkPad T400 7417 PC Notebook
    My cursor jumps lines automatically when typing. How do I adjust the sensitivity of the touch pad?

The Corsair have a known compatibility issue with older ThinkPad (and dual ram slot ThinkPads). While, some Kingston also has compatibility issues with ThinkPad, especially those 1333 mhz and 1600 mhz one.
    Can you try something like Samsung ram?
    Regards,
    Jin Li

Maybe you are looking for

• Doubts in functional upgradation from 3.x to 7.0.

Hi All, I have some doubts in functional upgradation from 3.x to 7.0. After migration of Transfer rules, update rules ( between the ods & cube also) & datasource. 1). Cube & ods have filed which is added like enhanced field, do we have to do anything

• Selecting Finder Items in Automator

I am a long-time MAC user but have never used applescript or automator. I work in a Prepress department and need to find a simple way to select certain folders quickly. Here's the scenario: I have a folder full of jobs. They would look something like

• RSPC chain locked by another user

hi folks - is there a way to get into an RSPC chain (display mode is fine - that's all i need) when another user already has that particular chain open in RSPC/RSPC1? if someone already has the chain open i get a msg saying: Object requested is curre

• Old imac (Tiger)not transfered internet settings to new mac (Leopard

Hi, I used firewire and the instructions, as prompted from my new Imac Intel Core 2 Duo to transfer my information from my old iMac power pc it tranferred iphoto and photos but not songs in itunes which I did from an external hard drive. All my e-mai

• P6N support, where is the support page for this motherboard?

i have recently purchased an pn6 motherboard, but can't find any updates or support on msi website, i am worried becasue nvidia have had issues with sata and stuff, other manufactures have released new fixes. So what is msi doing? Where is the suppor