Touch pad Failure T400

Hello,
I apologize in advance if this has already been posted and solved.
I have a T400 and the touch pad just randomly stopped working. I tried to use the shortcut 'Fn + F8" to get the UltraNav Utility to work, but it threw me an error. It told me to enable the touch pad in the BIOS. I tried looking in the BIOS and the track pad does not have an option in the BIOS. I looked in a similar laptop and there is in fact a BIOS setting for this. I have already done a BIOS update and taken apart the computer to see if it got unplugged. I put it back together and it still didn't fix it.
Does this mean that my touch pad is dead?
Thanks in advance,
JD

I have a T400 that had a touchpad (Ultranav) failure and the problem was fixed by a systemboard replacement. Call this machine in for service if it is under warranty.

Similar Messages

• HP Pavilion Volume Touch-Pad NOT WORKING | NO SOUND HELP

HP Pavilion Volume Touch-Pad NOT WORKING
    I have an HP Pavilion dv3t - 2000, Windows Vista computer. 
    SOMEONE DID ALREADY HELP ME HERE WITH THIS PROBLEM BUT THEY STOPPED RESPONDING | Please check that link out!
    The volume touchpad above the keyboard is not working properly (There is no sound coming out of the speakers or the headphone jack) , If you touch the megaphone part of the touchpad above the keyboard then it stays red, however the sound icon on the taskbar changes from mute to unmuted when you touch the red megaphone. The volume slider on the touchpad works suprisingly.
    I don't know if I uninstalled something or what but I need this problem fixed!
    Thanks!

Hi,
    Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and remove the battery.
    Follow the procedure detailed on Page 63 of your Maintenance & Service Guide to remove the RTC battery.  Hold down the power button for 30 seconds.
    Leave the notebook for 10 minutes and then re-insert the RTC battery, re-assemble and replace the cover, insert the battery, plug in the AC Adapter and start the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as soon as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.
    If you still have no audio and the installer you downloaded previously still doesn't detect the Hardware, it would start to look like a Hardware failure, but to try and rule out any further software cause, try the following.
    Follow the procedure on the link below to create a bootable Ubuntu CD and follow the steps in Part 3 to 'Try it' to see if this OS will run.  The 'Try it' option runs the OS from the CD without the need to install on your HDD.  If this runs Ok ( it will be slow running from a CD ) and you still have no audio output, this would tend to confirm a Hardware issue.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
    Regards,
    DP-K
    ****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
    ****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
    ****I don't work for HP****
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Experience

• HP Pavilion Volume Touch-Pad NOT WORKING | NO SOUND

HP Pavilion Volume Touch-Pad NOT WORKING
    I have an HP Pavilion dv3t - 2000, Windows Vista computer. 
    The volume touchpad above the keyboard is not working properly (There is no sound coming out of the speakers or the headphone jack) , If you touch the megaphone part of the touchpad above the keyboard then it stays red, however the sound icon on the taskbar changes from mute to unmuted when you touch the red megaphone. The volume slider on the touchpad works suprisingly.
    I don't know if I uninstalled something or what but I need this problem fixed!
    Thanks!
    This question was solved.
    View Solution.

Hi,
    Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and remove the battery.
    Follow the procedure detailed on Page 63 of your Maintenance & Service Guide to remove the RTC battery.  Hold down the power button for 30 seconds.
    Leave the notebook for 10 minutes and then re-insert the RTC battery, re-assemble and replace the cover, insert the battery, plug in the AC Adapter and start the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as soon as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.
    If you still have no audio and the installer you downloaded previously still doesn't detect the Hardware, it would start to look like a Hardware failure, but to try and rule out any further software cause, try the following.
    Follow the procedure on the link below to create a bootable Ubuntu CD and follow the steps in Part 3 to 'Try it' to see if this OS will run.  The 'Try it' option runs the OS from the CD without the need to install on your HDD.  If this runs Ok ( it will be slow running from a CD ) and you still have no audio output, this would tend to confirm a Hardware issue.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
    Regards,
    DP-K
    ****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
    ****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
    ****I don't work for HP****
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Experience

• My touch pad getting hot and freezing up while my laptop just on.

When I use my notebook more than 2-3 hours while on floor or hard surface touch pad gets hot or does not work properly I have new 5months used notebook and latest touchpad drivers. But when I use my notebook as playing games or watching movies with external mouse then my touchpad getting too hot but notebook remains normal condition.
    View Solution.

According to the message you have recently posted I would like to confirm that this could be a hardware issue and I strongly recommend you to immediately Contact HP Technical Support over the Phone for further assistance without any delay to get your Notebook diagnosed and serviced by an authorized HP Certified Engineer
    You can also Check your warranty Here to verify the warranty status
    Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again
    **Click the KUDOS star on left to say Thanks**
    Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
    Thank You,
    GBL84
    Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

• The scroll feature on my touch pad does not work with 4.0. Works in all other apps including 3.6. What hapened???

I can not scroll through web pages with the scroll feature on my touch pad. It worked in 3.6 and all other programs that I use. I have tried 4.0 twice with the same results, I've restarted, rebooted etc.
    This should not be application dependant but a system function.
    Now I will either roll back to 3.6 where I have troubles with some secure sites or just dump the whole thing and try Chrome.

I have discovered the solution and it involves an issue I suspected. After the restore of my old Time Machine Lion files to my new MBP running ML, the restore restored my computer back to Lion. After an install of ML, my computer worked perfectly except the fancy Scroll and zoom featured we all love from the trackpad. Ha already installed ML on other partitions and the trackpad worked perfectly on them.  Even the guest login's trackpad worked perfectly but not the main admin account.
    First thought was to create a new admin account and copy everything from the old admin to the new admin and then delete the old admin account. Hated the idea because all files had to be copied rather than moved.
    So what was left to do. I had thought of deleting all the apple preferences from the library and replace them with the contents of the library on another partition in ML. First I deleted old preferences many of which were old Lion preferences. That didn't solve the issue.
    I forgot that Lion and ML HIDE the user library so I was working on the wrong library. Discovered the Terminal command "chflags nohidden ~/Library" and I chose to reveal the user library on a ML partition.
    Solution:
    I booted into another ML partition. I guess that I could have booted into the new admin user account and changed the permissions  to access the old admin users Library But I chose to boot
    from another ML partition: copy ALL the com.apple. XXXXX.plist files and the folder  BY Host. It has special hidden files. Other  way is to copy the Preferences folder we'll say into the Desktop.
    I then proceeded to delete ALL the com.apple…….plist files and the Host folder into the trash. Then I copied all the apple.com…plist files and the Host folder and then rebooted. And now my wonderful Trackpad works as mountain Lion intended it to work.
    I'm leaving this solution because there's someone else in the MacWorld with the same issue.
    Ted

• I wiped down the touch pad on my MacBook Pro and now it's not working well

I wiped down the touch pad with a damp cloth on my MacBook Pro and not it's not working very well.  What should I do to fix the problem?

Let it dry, it will come around. You just chilled it a little most likely, unless the cloth was very damp....
    Next time use rubbing alcohol.
    It removes the oils and grease and dries fast too.
    So your have appy to the cloth, wipe, flip the cloth and wipe up the dirt and grime, then start the process with a new clean section of cloth, else you place the grime back on.

• In my MacBook Pro old 2006 late model Lion 10.7.4 how achieve right click from touch pad

In my MacBook Pro old 2006 late model Lion 10.7.4 how achieve right click from touch pad?

The multigesture buttonless trackpad was introduced with the Unibody Macs that came out in Late 2008. Successive models have built upon that, adding 2, 3 and more fingers to the gestures.
    Older models don't have the trackpad hardware needed to detect those motions and, hence, cannot support multigestures. Only resort is using combination of keys with the button, as disguise suggests.

• I am trying to add a game to my sons I touch pad. It is a free game. It asks for verification of password and credit card info. Every time, it tells me that my time has expired. Help.

I am trying to add a game to my sons I touch pad. It is a free game. It asks for verification of password and credit card info. Every time, it tells me that my time has expired. Help.

It asked me that too.Don't worry and just put it in. Itunes doesn't charge unless your son buys something. The password happens to me all the time. Credit card was only once. Just make sure your son knows not to buy anything without permission so he doesn't accidently charge you something.

• Firefox (latest and greatest) has been giving me synaptics scroll wheel errors. It has worked fine up until 3 days ago. I have the latest driver for the touch-pad, from synaptics, for my toshiba laptop L505D-S5986. Operating system is Windows 7 (32-Bit).

Firefox (latest and greatest) has been giving me synaptics scroll wheel errors. It has worked fine up until 3 days ago. I have the latest driver for the touch-pad, from synaptics, for my toshiba laptop L505D-S5986. Operating system is Windows 7 (32-Bit). Have tried it on other browsers, and works as it should. The last add-on i installed for Firefox was "Fox Filter" so my kids couldn't accidentally stumble onto sites of immoral tastes. I can't see why that would have any effect, but it was the last update/add-on i installed to the browser, but even then,.......it was working fine for a week and a half afterwards until now. Please help.
    == This happened ==
    A few times a week
    == A week and a half after i installed Fox Filter. ==
    == User Agent ==
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.1.249.1064 Safari/532.5

Hello Steve.
    You may be having a problem with some extension or plugin that is hindering your Firefox's normal behavior. Have you tried disabling all add-ons (just to check), to see if Firefox goes back to normal?
    If you detect a faulty add-on, you should contact its author for support. You can also search for alternatives. Site filters are relatively common in the add-ons gallery: [http://addons.mozilla.org addons.mozilla.org].

• I have updated to maverick from mountain lion.initially my mac book pro was snow leopard.the multitrack touch pad swapping the page is not happening in finder,it is only working in safari.please help me how to get that swiping gesture in  finder

i have updated to maverick from mountain lion.initially my mac book pro was snow leopard.the multitrack touch pad swapping the page to get back to previous page is not happening in finder,it is only working in safari.please help me how to get that swiping gesture in  finder

Hi..
    I repled to you here >  https://discussions.apple.com/message/25598596#25598596
    Please do not start duplicate topics. It makes it that much harder to assist you.

• I use MacbookPro late 2011 with Maverick, when i put iPhone 5 or another cellphone askew on left corner of touch pad and slide it to keyboard, the macbook will sleep, i don't know what the problem is, it occur on another macbook pro late 2011

I use MacbookPro late 2011 with Maverick, when i put iPhone 5 or another cellphone askew on left corner of touch pad and slide it to keyboard, the macbook will sleep, i don't know what the problem is, it occur on another macbook pro late 2011

It may well be a driver issue but considering the loading: Xorg trying to load different drivers is somewhat normal. @cafe you can see that these are autoconfigured by X above the loading in the log:
    Jul 20 19:48:24 arch gdm-Xorg-:0[216]: (==) Matched intel as autoconfigured driver 0
    Jul 20 19:48:24 arch gdm-Xorg-:0[216]: (==) Matched intel as autoconfigured driver 1
    Jul 20 19:48:24 arch gdm-Xorg-:0[216]: (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 2
    Jul 20 19:48:24 arch gdm-Xorg-:0[216]: (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 3
    Jul 20 19:48:24 arch gdm-Xorg-:0[216]: (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 4
    As long as one of the drivers gets loaded, which it apparently does the failing of the others is fine.
    Was there an update maybe ?

• I can no longer scroll with the button on my touch pad. Have tried everything on Firefox help and still can't scroll....HELP please.

I have just updated to the Firefox 4 Beta and from having no problems at all with the previous version I can now no longer scroll. I have reloaded my touch pad drivers and also been onto "about:config" and altered various things suggested by 'firefox help' and still no luck. The scroll button on the touch pad does still work as I can still scroll in Thunderbird and any of the other programs that I use, just not with Firefox any longer. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Many thanks.

Since today the scrolling started to work for me. Was there a fix auto installed? I havent updated anything that I know about.
    I might have uninstall an old Java JRE, don't remember when I did it, could that have done it?

• Cracked Touch Pad on Officejet Pro 8500 Premier

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier Wireless All-in-one printer (#A909n). The touch pad is cracked and I'm wondering if it can be replaced. I can't find the part in the online listing. The printer is functioning (by computer and buttons), but it is hard to copy or change any of the copy-defaults by using the touch pad. Thanks in advance for your help.

HP does not recommend refilling the ink cartridges it may cause damage to our printer. It does sound like the chip on the ink cartridges is not seeing that the ink is full, try replacing the cartridge with a genuine HP Ink Cartridge and see if the issue is resolved.
    Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

• HP Pavilion 15-n221sa Notebook PC touch pad glitching frequently

HP Pavilion 15-n221sa Notebook PC, windows 8.1, 8GB ram (7.89 usable), 64 bit os, 1.80 GHz intel core i3 processor
    I got my new laptop that I bought recently (3-4 weeks, give or take) and I've noticed that my touch pad us acting up OFTEN. Sometimes it brings up the charms bar and randomly opens an option while other times it just straight up freezes. I can tell that it is the touch pad freezing and not the pc because I can still use the keyboard to do things on my laptop and I use a usb mouse that always works without fail.
    I have installed quite a few things but I have done frequent full system scans using norton internet security and it has "removed" 1 virus so far. I haven't done a malware scan but I'm getting to it right now.
    My question is has a spirit possessed my laptop or is my touchpad broken?
    View Solution.

Hi lolful64,
    Welcome to the HP Community, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.
    I will be happy to help with the TouchPad freezing. I don't think that you need to call the Ghostbusters quite yet. Is it only freezing when you try access Charms Bar or does it freeze at other times? Start by reinstalling your Synaptics TouchPad Driver.
    Thank you,
    Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.
    Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
    Thank you,
    BHK6
    I work on behalf of HP

• Satellite A660 - touch pad on/off and other buttons don't work

Dear People on this forum,
    Recently, around 3 weeks ago i opened up my computer and i cleaned it, took the dust out because it was overheating.
    around 2 weeks before I noticed that my touch pad is not working and the top buttons are not working, there is no light (wireless multimedia sound buttons) I cant turn them off/on or I either don't know how. I am not sure if the problem is because I cleaned my laptop and did not connect some wires back but I am including this detail because I don't use those buttons so I did not notice if they were on. but 2 days ago I am not sure how my wireless went off ant when I press fn+f8 (wireless) it says wireless communication switch is off, which is one of the buttons that is not working (at the top next to of/on switch including with my touch pad)
    I have tried the following:
    windows update
    turn off computer take out all wires and battery and wait for around 30min. Then hold then on button for 30s
    reinstalling the flash cards support utility, hw setup and value added pack
    and finally a Toshiba out of the box recovery using the 2 product recovery cd's
    I am not sure what to do next. it is either:
    try something else
    or is there a wire is connected to both touch pad and the buttons at the top and i should open up my laptop again and connect them.
    please answer as to my next step to recovering my wireless.
    Your dear member of the forums, kaujis
    Message was edited by: kaujis

Please dont understand me wrong but I dont know how to help you now. Notebook disassembling is for authorized people only and if you do this on your own there is always a risk that something can be done wrong or maybe damaged.
    OK I must also say that I have also disassembled my machine too but I was lucky and everything is OK as before.
    I dont know how A660 looks inside but the principle is always the same and I cannot imagine you have damaged anything.
    You know very well that we cannot say much about your problem. What you should do now is final functionality test and install original recovery image that you got with your notebook. Test functionality with factory settings. If the problem is still there, Im afraid you must open notebook again and check if everything is connected properly.
    Last option is to contact service and ask for help.

Maybe you are looking for

• Table for Valuated Project stock

Dear All, Can any one  suggest form which table I can get value of valuated project stock for whole project. I can get it through table QBEW (Project Stock Valuation), but it gives value for individual WBS only. Regards, Nitish

• Why is my computer displaying A's  with boxes around them instead of words?

Why is my computer displaying A's with boxes around them instead of words? Is this the malware virus of today? I can get on the internet but just can't read anything. Please help!

• Still getting 404 error.

Still getting 404 error when I click on the last post link. this happens inconsistently it really sucks though. Is this Jived up software ever going to get fixed or replaced? anytime soon.

• LDAP native solaris 10 server - client

Hi, Can someone give me some link or instructions on how to configure a solaris 10 to be a Native Ldap server and i need also to have a client that will run on solaris 10 also. I did follow PeterVG post, but have tried so many times that i need to do

• Lenovo x1 carbon 20A8 series finger print scanner password manager

hi , we just purchased one Lenove X1, But we have problem with limitation of finger scanner application its support only in windows login and internet explorer. not working in other application like Excel, SAP GUI Log on. so i want to know any applic