Two WiFi/Networking problems with a T43

Hi.  I had a T43 for a few years and loved it but in Sept, it just died.  wouldnt turn on.  Took out the hard drive.
Just got another T43 (actually 2) and swapped in my HDD.  both had the same problem and I cannot find a fix on the website...
Everything works well on them with my HDD.  I have been running programs, etc. and also am on Internet thru a wire, but it has 2 problems..
1.  It doesnt show that there is a wifi card (same with the other 'new' one that someone else took and installed their OS on the HDD (XP Pro) and found the wifi card.    Nothing shows up in device manager under network cards except the gigabit card and the bluetooth (both work) but NO Wifi.  Belarc Advisor doesnt show a WIFI card, My guess is that there is one there but something isnt allowing me to see it.
2.  In Device Manager, there is one item that has the yellow question mark, it is the "Network Controller"  I went to the Lenovo website and also googled it, and cant find a driver for any such device.  I am wondering if it has to do with why the WiFi doesnt show up.  where can i find the driver and what IS the 'network controller' anyway??
any help would be appreciated.  I love the T43 and need it to get working fully asap.
THANKS
Solved!
Go to Solution.

That's weird...
Just in case that someone had swapped the card in the past, try this:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-70480
Then go into C>Drivers>Win>Wlanath and run the setup file from there.
More on ThinkPad Fan Control here:
http://www.tpfancontrol.com/
Good luck and keep us posted.
Cheers,
George
In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
Collecting dust: T60
Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

Similar Messages

• Windows Vista and WiFi networking problem with MackBook Air

Hi, everyone!
    Thanks in advance for the following help.
    For some specific programms I need Windows Vista to be set up on my MacBook Air.
    The problem with Broadcom WiFi adapter.
    While moving large files over home network it hangs and looses the wifi network. It works OK while surfing the internet or doing other low traffic job. But when it comes to 2 MB/sec transfer it doesn't work. I tried two different routers, no positive result. PC works propely on any file sizes. After booting the Leopard the problem goes away. So it is onle Windows Vista problem.
    May be drivers? I tried 4.170.25.19 Windows Vista drivers from Broadcom - it didn't help. But I am not goog in driver settings in Control Panel, so may be the solution is there.
    Any ideas how to solve it?
    Thanks for help in advance.
    Andrey.

Hello Nescom. Welcome to the Apple Discussions!
    I'm afraid I really don't have an answer for you but I can offer my experiences with large files transfer with Vista. My current home network is a combination of Windows PC, Windows Servers, and Macs. Large file transfers between most of them have relatively the same performance, except when transferring large files from the Vista PC to any other OS. It is demonstrably slower. Interestingly, transfers between Vista machines does not appear to be a problem. I understand that this is a known problem by Microsoft and was supposed to be fixed with Vista SP1.
    So the problem might not be your network, but Vista itself. I'm curious if you have this problem when transferring large files to another Vista device?

• Two WiFi Networks with Time Capsule

After installing TC (attached to an existing router), I seem to have two WiFi networks. is this normal? what should I do?

Thanks for the clarification. 
    In general, unless you really need two wireless networks, it is a good idea to turn the wireless function off on one of your routers to reduce the chances of wireless interference that might occur between them.
    If you notice no problems running two networks, you can leave both "on" if you want. In the future, if you notice diminished wireless performance, you probably will need to turn off the wireless function on one of your routers.

• Home sharing across two wifi networks?

I have two wifi networks in my home and each is attached to its own cable modem. Can home sharing be used across both networks so I can see my Apple TV and my iTunes library at the same time in the remote app? Thus far, I have only been able to access them separately by switching wifi networks on my iPhone. All my devices are set up with the same Apple ID. My main computer is running Windows 7 and it is connected to network #1 via LAN and network #2 via wireless. All my speakers including Apple TV show up in the Airplay menu of iTunes. Apple TV is connected to network #2 solely for the reason that the signal is stronger.
    Any ideas out there? This has been frustrating the heck out of me. Thanks in advance!

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2972
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4620
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3819

• At home I have two wifi networks , I try to use one of them depending on their strength of signal, can I not save  both their passwords on Apple TV , so that I can switch to one of the two wifi networks as required

At home I have two wifi networks , I try to use one of them depending on their strength of signal, can I not save  both their passwords on Apple TV , so that I can switch to one of the two wifi networks as required
    Also the passwords are long and cumbersome to type every time on the apple  TV remote, what is the alternative if I cannot store them on the memory of the Apple TV

Is it possible that you are using the same password for the old O2 Study and newer O2 Apple Base Station networks?
    If so, Keychain Access is storing the old information about the old network and may be associating it with your AirPort Extreme settings based on the BSSID that William has mentioned.
    If that's the case, open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > KeyChain Access and look for a listing with the old network name. Delete this entry. You may need to power down both the computer and the AirPort Extreme and restart them.

• Facing network problem with iPhone 5s after updating it to iOS 7.1.2 .

Facing network problem with iPhone 5s after updating it to iOS 7.1.2 , using Vodafone in india. if at one place network is full then after few minutes at same place i get no network ? what can be done ?

Hi srikka,
    I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've been having with the iOS 8 upgrade on your iPhone 5s; I know how frustrating that can be, especially on a device you use every day like a smartphone. If you continue to have issues with your WiFi and cellular data connections, you may find the troubleshooting steps outlined in the following articles helpful:
    iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections - Apple Support
    iPhone cellular data connection issues - Apple Support
    Regards,
    - Brenden

• Network problem with vodafone in india, noida

network pronlem in my iphone 5 for last 8months, please advise what to do?.

What problem?
    Any network problem with your cell phone carrier you need to take up with the carrier.

• Any wifi connection problems with new Macbook Pro 13" models?

I currently use a 15" Macbook Pro (about 3.5 years old) that has intermittent WiFi connection issues (intermittently loses signal). This seems to have been a very common problem with this laptop model. My kids, who use Macbooks, have no connection problems. In any case, I'd love to buy one of the new model 13-inch Macbook Pro's but hesitate because of my many issues with WiFi connectivity on my older Macbook Pro. Just wondering if anyone is experiencing connectivity problems with the new model?

I've never had Wifi connection problems with a Macbook and now with the 13" MacBook Pro I was flabergasted when I took my MacBook down the street to a coffee house with free WiFi. I went to connect to their WiFi and found my own WiFi connection listed. I thought this odd even though I was on the same block as my apartment, my apartment is six stories up. I connected to the Coffee Shop WiFi but it was really slow so I wondered if I could connect to my own home connection. I switched it over and lo-and behold I did connect! It was a good 300 feet away! I NEVER saw this with previously owned MacBooks including the black MacBook and the MacBook offered just before they moved the MacBook up to the Pro series.
    So I'd say they have improved the WiFi nicely.

• Wifi network created with a Comcast Modem/wifi hub

Can airport express be used to extend a wifi network created with a Comcast Modem/wifi hub?

Apple tells us that the AirPort Express will only "extend" a wireless network...using wireless only...if it is used with another Apple router.
    So, it would be extremely unlikely that this would work with your Comcast modem/router.

• Bizarre networking problem with multiple 8.1 GA systems -- RT and Pro

Hi everyone,
    I'm having a particularly bizarre problem with the networking on two Windows 8.1 machines, one running Pro and one running RT. Both demonstrate the same behavior.
    In both cases, networking (wireless most of the time, although I'm not sure it matters) works fine for some period of time. Eventually it just stops working. Resetting the adapter, or flipping in and out of Airplane mode will bring it back again. The issues
    happen on at least 3 wireless access points.  In most cases, the networking actually appears to be up -- the limited access warning icon isn't up, although occasionally it does realize the networking isn't working.
    Here's the bizarre part -- on both systems, local IP connectivity is fine. I can communicate perfectly well between devices on the same internal network, wired or wifi. During the time the networking isn't working on one or the other 8.1 system, other systems
    on the network running Windows 8 (and other systems) work fine. There's no correlation between one 8.1 system stopping working and the other.
    On *both* systems, when the networking appears to be failing, a traceroute actually gets 4-5 (or more) hops before going out to lunch. Other systems on the same internal network will cruise along to the same point on the route that is failing on the 8.1
    machines and keep right on happily continuing the trace.
    So that's the bizarre thing -- something on two 8.1 machines is doing *something* to the packets that is causing them to not route properly to a target system 10-15 hops away, the same routers handling the same kind of traffic from other systems behind my
    firewall work fine, and whatever is happening to the packets that is causing issues resolves itself for some period of time if I reset the adapter.  (The two systems are a MacBook Air and a Surface RT, so there's no drivers in common between them, either.)
    I'm completely at a loss. Anyone see anything like this before, or have any thoughts on what to check?
    (And, please, if you're one of those Microsoft support forum people who skim questions for keywords and cut-n-paste back a generic reply without any actual understanding of the problem -- like so many replies on here -- please do not waste my time. I am
    trying to find someone who knows Windows 8.1 networking, not someone who knows just enough English to use ctrl-c/ctrl-v)

Hi George,
    There is a known issue about Cisco device. It caused some windows 8 clients disconnected from wifi. I understand your windows 8 clients works fine, when the issue occurred on windows 8.1 clients. However, I think the KB article is worth a shot
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2749073
    Best regards,
    Alex Du
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

• Share Imac's wifi network connection with iphone

Now I have a problem that is contrary to all I have seen so far. My Imac is often with me in places where I can have wifi network if I declare my MAC address in advance. When I am there, I often want to have network on my Iphone as well, but cannot share that connection because wifi is already used for getting into the net. How can I do access the internet from my Iphone (example: skype or Viber calls from abroad to home) in such situations?

Sorry for:
    being so late (I had lost the pointer to this discussion due to a massive change in my machinery)
    havig written iMac instead of MacbookPro. I was writing my post from my iMac at home...
    However, I do know that every device has got a unique MAC address, and I do know the MAC address of my iPhone. My iPhone is connected to my home Wifi network, which allows access only to devices known by their MAC address.
    My problem was that I only got ONE MAC address to declare, eventhough I had two devices. So, I could not directly connect my iPhone to that network, but I could connect my MacBookPro (because I needed the network to resume documents during meeting, and so on). I just wanted my iPhone being able to access the network, even if tethered to my MacBookPro (or, even better, without connecting it physically), but I was not able to do that. I can imagine that from my MacBook I could share the Internet connection via Bluetooth, and I tried that way, but there was no way to couple the iPhone on the Bluetooth connection to do anything significant. Also with the physical connection (cable), I did not see any way to share my network access on my MacBook.
    I hope I was clear this time..

• G585 wired and wifi networking problems - please help!!

Just purchased a new G585 a couple weeks ago.  After trying Win 8, I realized what a complete POS of an OS it is and installed Win 7.
    2 Major problems:
    1.  Ethernet connection erratically disconnects - no rhyme or reason - sometimes works other times doesn't.  I've tested on two diff networks - the same behavior.
    2.  Cannot install wifi - tried the drivers from Lenovo site - no go - tried drivers someone had recommended (broadcom wifi5.100.196.18) these did not work either - device still unrecognized in device manager
    This is my 9th Lenovo laptop over the years.  The others were great.  This one seems to have serious issues.
    Can anyone assist please???

I have had these same connectivity issue since I bought the laptop in March of 2013.  It is January 2014, and is will still drop connectivity for no apparent reason, be incredibly slow when it IS connected, and sometimes just sop seeing the network altogether (and this happens on every netwrok I have attempted to connect to).
    The most obnoxious thing is that after spending several hours over multiple days on the phone with tech supprt, they said I needed to send it in for repair.  So I did.  It was gone two weeks and when I got ti back, they claimed that had repaired it, but everything was exactly the same.
    Combine that with the lack of help for the company and the fact that this seems to be the only laptop where edge swipes on the touchpad cannot be disabled, this Lenovo laptop is the worst computer I have ever owned, period.  And I mean ever.
    If there ACTUALLY IS a way to fix this issue, I would love to hear it, bit nothing that anywone ever suggest actually works.  I thought maybe if I upgraded to Windows 8.1 it would help, but the Lenovo site lists the G585 as a model you shouldn't update because of monitor driver issues witht he upgrade.  It really looks to me like Lenovo has written this model off completely.
    I will never buy another Lenovo product and I will direct other people to other brands.  Words cannot describe my frustration and disappointment.

• My MBP keeps having to switch between two WiFi networks

Our current WiFi network set-up at home is one Cisco router provided by our ISP (WiFi network: GIORGETTI), connected to another Linksys router (WiFi network: GIORGETTI II) which allows us to use the WiFi upstairs. The signal from both networks reaches my Macbook, but I'm finding that I'm constantly having to swap connections between the two because at some point it the internet connection on my Macbook seems to freeze, websites stop loading or working and I'm forced to connect to whichever of the two networks I'm not currently connected to to access the internet again. I don't know if I'm overloading the internet or something, cause it seems to just happen at random as I browse. I have to do this several times every hour and it's getting really irritating. I've tried restarting the routers and forgetting the networks and re-joining but still the same thing. The internet seems to work fine on my iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2. Any thoughts?
    I'm running a Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch, Mid-2014
    2.5 Ghz Intel Core i7 - 16GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 - 512 GB
    OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

Do both wi-fi base stations share exact settings and name, if they do, perhaps
    there would be a seamless use of either one across all of the devices in use.
    •Wi-Fi base stations: Extending the range of your wireless network by adding additional Wi-Fi base stations - Apple Support
    With Apple AirPort base stations, you can set them up a special way to extend
    a network, if they are using the same setting. - With your other brand, it may be
    the fact is their ranges do not overlap well for use with your MacBook Pro. Are
    you certain the iPhone and iPad products are using the same wi-fi as the MB/P
    or are they able to access by cellular network instead of the wi-fi base stations?
    In the past, my wi-fi base station in use was one with an external antenna port
    so I was able to obtain an antenna so as to add range to the main base station.
    This worked well, so long as I avoided placing wi-fi device by metal walls, or
    concrete, or near other devices that generate interrupting similar signals. A fair
    way to extend a network is by Ethernet between wi-fi base stations.
    There is a possibility of having over-extended or over loaded the wi-fi capacity
    of your local internet connection, in some instances. Note this is mentioned in
    the above linked article in the section where the topic covers using a single or
    more than one base station in a local wireless network.
    You may be able to check the MacBook/Pro settings to see if you can allow it to
    see and use more than one wi-fi source of your choosing, not 'any' but just those
    in your Location for more seamless use. Or re-design the wireless network for
    better use in the location the problem currently exists.
    •Solutions for connecting to the Internet, setting up a small network, and troubleshooting - Apple Support
    •AirPort + Wi-FI -- AirPort Base Stations - Apple Support:
    https://ssl.apple.com/support/airport/basestations/
    Anyway, there are some workable answers in the above Support site pages and
    to discover the best way given your circumstances, and particular settings, may
    take some time. You may have to work around a few blind-spots where signals
    get dropped or are weaker due to construction of the building or layout of content.
    Good luck & happy computing!

• Network Problems with LaCie Firewire or USB Hub

Hi Folks,
    I have a recurring problem with my 27-Inch iMac mid-2010 running OSX 10.7.2 (had same problem with Snow Leopard before upgrading) where, when a Firewire device ( LA Cie HD) or a USB Hub is pluged-in the wired ethernet will not work on wake up from sleep.
    I always have to cycle off my Cisco Router for the Mac to use the wired ethernet.
    Does not happen with the WIFI and does not happen if there is no firewire device or USB hub pluged in.
    Anyone seen this before? Anyone with an idea on how to resolve this?
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts
    Dan

I picked up a 2big network a few days ago (to replace two Buffalo LinkStation Pros) and also have not been able to get an icon for the drive to appear on my mac desktop, despite being able to access the 2big through "Connect to Server." I hope to learn more from LaCie.
    A successful workaround I'm using is to put the contents of each share on the 2big drive into a single folder in the share, make an alias of the folder in the share, and drag/copy the alias to the desktop of any machine needing access to the share. Admittedly a little kludgy, but easy to disseminate once set up. The desktop alias calls up the respective folder quite crisply, tested now for several machines on the network -- at least with up to ~40 Gb in a given folder/share so far. For reference, this network currently has 6 Mac and 3 Win XP nodes.

• Why my iPhone 5s's wifi have problem with wifi on iOS 8.0.2?

MMy iPhone 5s and also my iPhone 6 plus and iPad 3, all have the latest update(8.0.2) but all of me have problem with wifi and gilt hung all the time! Wifi most of the time is not working and we have to use laptop or using phone data, obviously I don't want to use my data in home so , I want this problem solve as soon as possible. My iPad is glitching all the time, my iPhone's most the time.
    aand please don't tell me it's my wifi modem because I know it's not, I have been tested my modem with all other devices!

Ok.  Have you tried restarting your phone?  Hold sleep wake button until slide to power off appears - slide to power off.  Turn it back on and retest.
    -Next is Settings, general, reset, reset network settings - retest.
    -Next is back up phone to iTunes, and restore to factory settings - set up as new, retest.
    If you have had your phone for less than 90 days, you get 90 days of complementary voice support at applecare, so you should definitely use that while you have it.
    AppleCare phone number: (800)-694-7466

Maybe you are looking for

• How can I create a variant in CAT2 for all users?

I am using SAP version 4.6c In the CAT2 screen I have a variant "Basic settings" if I change this it affects all users. I want to create another variant, so that the users can choose between them. But when I create another, it is only avilable for my

• InDesign CC 2014 Marks and Bleeds Issue

Hello Everyone, So I'm trying to export this InDesign file into a PDF with the usual crops/marks/bleeds that I always use, but for some reason this time it isn't working right. I have my bleed settings to .125, my slug is at 0, my images have been dr

• Lenovo A916 Has Lost 'Auto-Rotate' Since Upgrade to Dual SIM/Dual Standby

When I first received this phone shortly before Christmas from a UK supplier, it did not operate with Dual Standby. Only rebooting allowed you to swap SIMs. I have since been successful in updating the firmware build to A916_S1205_141013 which gives

• Is it battery issue?

Dear Iphone 4 experts, I have some bad experience with my Iphone 4 today.  My phone is just 1 month old.  I have seen the phone showing 30% of battery life in the morning.  I was in hurry for the work and unable to charge. When I reach my work place

• Print is too small when I try to print something from online; how can I change the settings?

I need to enlarge the print when I print anything from online.  Entirely too small.  Does anyone know the answer?