"UltraNav Utility" vs "UltraNav Driver" for T400

I have a T400 and after installing UltraNav Driver x64, I have all the functionalities, Control Panel settings, etc. I wonder what UltraNav Utility is then which appears on my update lists.
T400 2764CTO, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Hello,
it could be that "the UltraNav utility enables the Fn-F8 shortcut when used in conjunction with the ThinkPad Hot Key Utility". Or it may provide "more fluid and comfortable crusor [sic] movement" (Googelberged from notebookreview forum).
Another possibility could be, that it enables more detailed configuration of the touch pad.
Greetings Tobias

Similar Messages

• Need help to partition and format new hard drive for T400

The HDD failed in my T400. I bought a new 1TB HDD and fitted it. The diagnostic software in the BIOS did a read and controller test (Passed). When I put the Windows XP disk in the CD reader, the setup started - then stalled at the "Windows setup" page. I thought the hard drive had a write problem but apparently it must be partitioned and formatted first, before Widows setup can commence. The thing is that I can't get to the option where Windows formats the drive. In old computers, there was always a partitioning option in the BIOS setup but in my T400, there doesn't appear to be any such option. The computer has 4GB RAM, the actual model is 2767-RV8.
    Does anyone have any suggestions how to get this up and running?
    One other question is - (assuming I can get the thing working) - Is there somewhere I can load the operating system on part of the hard drive where it can act as a fall back in case the operating system gets corrupted? - i.e. something that can't get attacked by malicious software?
    Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Ian

Hi irivlin,
    If you are trying to clean install XP, then you have to do following setting in BIOS first:
    Press F1 to BIOS, Config -> Serial ATA (SATA) -> change to "Compatibility"
    You can change XP partition only if you are doing clean installation, otherwise you have to use 3rd party to do it.
    For backup part, there are lots of choices in the market. You might consider using XP own backup function. Lenovo got a program called Rescue and Recovery can also do backup as well.
    How to use the Backup utility to back up files and folders in Windows XP Home Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320820/en-us
    Rescue and Recovery® 4.23 by Lenovo
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/​detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-76225
    Fred
    T61 + X201i

• UltraNav version for non-IBM clone PC to run IBM Travel PS/2 Keyboard, 89P8500, SK-8840?

My beloved IBM T42, circa 2005, has been retired from work duties and soldiers on in limited duty at home. I have recently attempted to re-create the well-designed keyboard, particularly the Synaptics touchpad and the TrackPoint, for my office PC, which is a clone (but with 'name-brand' internals, an Intel motherboard and processor, Kingston RAM, OCZ SSD) running 64-bit Windows 7 Professional, SP1.
    So, for the princely sum of $35 I purchased a new keyboard, an IBM Part No. 89P8500 and IBM Model No. SK-8840. It's labeled IBM, not Lenovo. The keyboard's cord ends in two PS/2 plugs, one for the keyboard and one for the mouse, the latter I believe refers to the integrated Synaptics touchpad, and the integrated Trackpoint. My office PC has no PS/2 inputs, so I purchased a Ziotek PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse to USB Adapter (ZT1040444) to make the connection between the keyboard and the PC.
    The keyboard does achieve basic functionality by simply plugging it into the PC through the Ziotek adapter. But the Synaptics touchpad and the TrackPoint are capable of considerably more functionality. I know this because on my T42 the touchpad and TrackPoint were controlled by UltraNav software, which created a tab in the Mouse Properties in Control Panel. There, many adjustments and customizations were possible.
    But having spent more hours than I will admit to (yes, it's in double digits), I am still unable to achieve UltraNav levels of functionality. Worse, and even though the keyboard functions, if I open Control Panel, Mouse Properties an error message appears saying:
    "Unable to connect to the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver.
    If you have installed another PS/2 Pointing Device Driver please uninstall the Synaptics driver by clicking on the Yes button. You then need to reinstall your pointing device driver for your external device again.
    Do you want to uninstall the Synaptics driver now?"
    I select "No" and the Mouse Properties dialogue box opens, sans any indication of UltraNav or any functionality beyond the basic functions provided in Windows.
    It finally dawned on me that the UltraNav software is IBM's proprietary version of Synaptics' generic touchpad / trackpoint driver. And it just doesn't want to and/or isn't going to work on my clone PC. I have literally tried dozens of USB and PS/2 drivers from Lenovo's website. The generic Synaptics driver from Synaptics' website imparts none of the UltraNav functionality, as best as I can tell.
    My guess is that IBM probably didn't plan on selling enough of the now-priced-at-$35 keyboard (89P8500 / SK-8840) to merit going to the trouble and expense of preparing an UltraNav driver for non-IBM computers to run the thing. But, is there a version of UltraNav that will run on non-IBM/Lenovo PCs? I haven't found it.
    The keyboard uses PS/2 and the Ziotek adapter, at least in theory, maps the PS/2 interface over to work with the USB interface. But is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit treating the Ziotek adapter-connected keyboard as a PS/2 device (which it is), or does the Ziotek adapter cause windows to treat the keyboard as a USB device? Thus, is the adapter's mapping over process so complete that the PS/2 device is now treated as a USB device? I have inquired with Ziotek and I am awaiting a response, which may never come.
    I posted here in desperation. Please help, if you are able.
    Thank you,
    Dennis

IBM sourced their keyboards from another company for a long time, and that company not only still exists, but still sells the keyboard you're using (though for much more). Company is Unicomp. Website is pckeyboard.com. They probably support the keyvboard.
    That said, the generic synaptics reference driver should work for the trackpad. Can't say the same for the trackpoint.
    Jonathan Becker
    CURRENT LENOVO PRODUCTS: Thinkpad Tablet 2
    sn #R9WHND7, Win 8 Pro, BIOS 1.51, with Dock and TPT2 keyboard
    Thinkpad USB Keyboard with Trackpoint
    IdeaCenter B500
    PAST: Thinkpad T22, X60 Tablet, X220 Tablet

• UltraNav driver v12.2.3.1 on T60

T60 Horizontal scrolling no longer work after update to "UltraNav driver for Windows 2000, XP and Vista 32-bit - ThinkPad
    " v12.2.3.1. Please verify and fix the problem.

anybody know the email address for lenovo technical support?

• T400s synaptics touchpad driver for windows 7 64 bit

I can't find a driver for:
    t400s synaptics touchpad driver for windows 7 64 bit
    I looked on the Lenovo site under t400s
    Any Help on this?  I really like the touchpad but I want to turn off tapping and make some other adjustments.
    Thanks,
    Bill

I'm sure bananaman meant on the Win7 Beta OS download site.
    Andy  ______________________________________
    Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points
    Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.
      Deutsche Community     Comunidad en Español    English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество
    PepperonI blog 

• SL300 - Ultranav Driver, EasyEject utility, Presentation Director

Hi,
    I have problems getting the touchpad to work and quite few other features after installing win7.
    Right now the UltraNav driver wont install, tried both versions:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-70340
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/WIN7-BETA.html#unav
    I installed the UltraNav Utility, got no errors on this install:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-67226
    Anyone else having troubles getting the driver to work on a SL300?
    I also cant find a compatible driver for EasyEject and Presentation Director - any tip on where i can find one or when it might be released, would be awesome
    And, I am still worried about the registry patches:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/WIN7-BETA.html#unav
    Will these work on win 7? Should i install them when they are noted as compatible with vista?
    Thx
    G
    Lenovo Thinkpad SL300
    Original description: T5670(1.8 GHz), 2GB RAM, 160GB 5400rpm HD, 13.3in 1280x800 LCD, Intel X4500HD, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11agn wireless, Vodafone WWAN, Bluetooth, Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Fingerprint reader, Camera, 6c Li-Ion, Win 7 RTM

Hi,
    I only get a message of:  Install Failed! ThinkPad UltraNav
    And the link about the registry:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-70413.html#inf
    Thanks for looking into this
    Lenovo Thinkpad SL300
    Original description: T5670(1.8 GHz), 2GB RAM, 160GB 5400rpm HD, 13.3in 1280x800 LCD, Intel X4500HD, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11agn wireless, Vodafone WWAN, Bluetooth, Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Fingerprint reader, Camera, 6c Li-Ion, Win 7 RTM

• 64 bit version of Ultranav driver not available for download

Using either Update Retriever or System Update, version 7.202.1616.206 of the ThinkPad UltraNav Driver 2 (Alps) 64 bit is missing from the System Update catalogue. Package ID: 6EGY02WW is not presented. Only the 32 bit version (Package ID: 6EGX02WW) is available.
               It can be downloaded and manually installed from the driver matrix, but you would have to realize that there was a more recent version available that System Update had not installed, and go looking for it. This update applies to machine types:
               -        R61 (Machine types: 8914, 8918, 8919, 8920, 8927, 8928, 8929, 8930, 8932, 8933, 8934, 8935, 8936, 8937)
               -        R61i (Machine types: 8918, 8932)
               -        R500
               -        X300, X301
    ThinkPad R61 8932-CTO T8300 2.40 Ghz 3GB RAM Win XP
    ThinkPad R500 2714-CTO P8600 2.40 Ghz 3GB RAM Win XP; Two ThinkPad R500's 2714-CTO T9600 2.80 Ghz 4GB RAM Win 7
    ThinkPad T500 2241-DB9 T9600 2.80 Ghz 4GB RAM Win 7
    ThinkCenter A63 5237-CTO 3GB Ram Win XP; A21m and a pair of 380XD's
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hi Stormycloud,
    The problem is resolved. Today, on both of my R500 machines,  Update Retriever informed me that the 64 bit version of the Ultranav utility was available for download. On both of my machines I then downloaded the driver. I was then able to use System Update to install the driver. Thank-you. Case closed.
    Regards,
    Chuck
    ThinkPad R61 8932-CTO T8300 2.40 Ghz 3GB RAM Win XP
    ThinkPad R500 2714-CTO P8600 2.40 Ghz 3GB RAM Win XP; Two ThinkPad R500's 2714-CTO T9600 2.80 Ghz 4GB RAM Win 7
    ThinkPad T500 2241-DB9 T9600 2.80 Ghz 4GB RAM Win 7
    ThinkCenter A63 5237-CTO 3GB Ram Win XP; A21m and a pair of 380XD's

• T60 - thinkpad ultranav driver is not detected

Hello,
    From the following link I downloaded and installed the "UltraNav Utility for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Vista (32-bit, 64-bit), XP (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad "
    http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t60...
    My O.S is Windows XP-32
    Upon installation completion I was asked to restart the Laptop.
    But upon windows boot, the mouse pad is not working. Only the red mouse is working .
    I tried <Fn+F8>. It did not make a difference .
    From this link I also installed: UltraNav Wizard for Windows 2000/XP".
    When I ran the wizard I got the message:
    thinkpad ultranav driver is not detected
    In the device manager, under "Mice and other pointing devices", there is only PS/2 mouse.
    Can you help ?
    Thank you in advance,
    Z.V

@jeet2113 
    ‎Thank you for using HP Support Forum. I have brought your issue to the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).
    If you are unfamiliar with the Forum's private messaging please click here to learn more.
    Thank you,
    Omar
    I Work for HP

• Ultranav Driver 16.2.14.0 needs TWO reboot to function

I just want to report the following things about the latest Ultranav driver 16.2.14.0:
    1. Thankfully, the non-working middle-click button bug (when set to "None"), is resolved. Previously in the last few drivers it wasn't working properly. It pretty much meant removing the middle button from my laptop, since it was forced to scrolling mode because of some bug and I simply couldn't middle click. I was forced to use driver from Synaptics to fix it. Glad now I can use Lenovo driver!
    2. However there is a bug with this driver, that it needs TWO restarting to function. Upon the first restart, Fn + F8 gives an error, and the TrackPoint sensitivity is always set to hardest, and no matter what you set in this windows session, it will disappear upon the next reboot.
    After the 2nd reboot, it works perfectly. Fn + F8 opens the moust dialog (no utility software installed), and the settings function properly.
    Using a W520

Hello noochi01,
    I found another "problem" in my first XP installation... some years ago I learned to press F5 during the first WinXP setup screen (where it says "press F6 for storage controller...") in order to manually select "ACPI-PC" as the PC type. Otherwise sometimes the non-ACPI HAL would be installed due to some crappy ACPI BIOSes which results in the "You may now switch off the computer" message instead of power down.
    This manual ACPI-PC selection was what I also did when I first setup XP SP3 on the T61p... now I noticed the machine runs on only one of the 2 CPU cores. Cause is that the selection of "ACPI-PC" will install the uniprocessor XP kernel:-/
    So I now did another clean setup with selecting "ACPI multiprocessor PC" => multiprocessor kernel is installed and both CPU cores are used. With this setup I don't have problems with either the original UltraNav 13.x driver or the Ricoh SD/MMC host controller driver.
    I'm very unsure if the uniprocessor kernel in the first installation caused these driver problems or if I simply installed the drivers in a different sequence this time... but there's no freeze until now.
    Can you check if both CPU cores are active on your machine? E.g. the Windows task manager shows two graphs for CPU usage, two frequencies are shown in System Properties etc.?
    btw: The 3.57.01 Ricoh drivers from the ASUS website seem to work well for the ThinkPads with that Ricoh 4-in-1-controller: http://dlsvr.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/Cardreader/CardReader_Ricoh_VT_090513.zip
    I don't know why Lenovo did never release that driver update?! On the Ricoh page there are no downloads for "industrial products"... and that controller seems already outdated.
    Cheers,
     Wolfgang

• Ultranav Driver Not Installing

Hello,
    My touchpad has not been working for over a month. It just stopped working one day. I have already verified that it is not locked. I have tried to reinstall the ultranav driver and my lenovo support center had an ultranav update but whenever I go through the download process and even restart my computer the driver will not show up as installed. i have also uninstalled my synaptic driver in case this was the source of error. Anybody know why the ultranav driver is not installed? I really need my touchpad to work so I'm not doomed to carrying out a mouse (it looks quite silly...)

@Tonya2015...
    Please tell us which ThinkPad model you have. Also, are you showing any items in Device Manager with "!" ?
    Regards.
    English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество
    Community Resources: Participation Rules • Images in posts • Search (Advanced) • Private Messaging
    PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
    X1C3 Helix X220 X301 X200T T61p T60p Y3P • T520 T420 T510 T400 R400 T61 Y2P Y13
    I am not a Lenovo employee.

• How do I prevent the UltraNav driver from automatically installing?

I have an x230 with Windows 8. As some of you might know, the UltraNav driver on Windows 8 does not allow the middle button to be used for middle-click. As a workaround, I use the Synaptics generic mouse driver, which works just fine.
    However, either Lenovo or Windows (I suspect the latter) persistently tries to reinstall the (evil) UltraNav driver, which kills middle-click functionality. So every once in a while when my system has been rebooted after updates, I find I can't middle click, which means I have to manually uninstall the UltraNav driver, reboot once, install the Synaptics generic driver, reboot again.
    This is a huge hassle, and I'd appreciate any help I can get.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Actually, Windows Update itself seems to have nothing to do with it. (It took me a while to realize it wasn't working since I rarely shut down my laptop.)
    I have a strong feeling the culprit is here:
    open Devices & Printers. (Type it into the Start Screen and it will be under Settings)
    Right click your laptop's icon and click Device Installation Settings
    Select: No, let me choose what to do; Never install driver software from Windows Update
    Hoping this works, because I seriously depend on the middle click button in AutoCAD. If you're used to opening/closing tabs with it, ctrl + left click works without too much extra effort. 

• [W520] New UltraNav driver update failure...

The UltraNav driver 15.3.39.1 in question for my W520: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS019164
    Installing the update results in these two error messages:
    It finally finishes with:
    I've tried uninstalling everything, restarts in between, and everything else. I'm having to roll back to the previous version.
    W520: i7-2960XM, 32GB RAM, Quadro 2000M, Intel 310 SSD, Hitachi 320GB RAID0, 15.6" FHD, Intel 6300 Ultimate-N
    OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with the latest updates and drivers

I tried installing that driver and it worked for me.  Anyone else having this problem?

• W530 Ultranav driver and middle button

Prior to the Windows 8 driver could disable the Ultranav functionality for the middle button and this would then enable the default Windows functionality for the middle button (much better scroll options).
    With the new Windows 8 driver it seems the ability to disable this has been removed
    Is there a way to still disable the Ultranav middle button and use Windows default?

Search. Read my post: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-8/TouchPad-drivers-with-Windows-8-gesture-and-middle-button/td-p...
    Cheers.
    If I helped you, please give me some kudos! ^^

• Lenovo Update of Synaptics UltraNav driver now makes it reset vertical scrolling speed

After the last update of the Synaptics UltraNav Driver on my W510 to 16.1.1.0 through Lenovo Update it now keeps reseting the Vertical Scrolling speed (the lines per mouse wheel to 1) randomly when pluging/unplugging a mouse or docking/undocking or rebooting the machine.
    This is probably the 5th case of a Lenovo Update that regresses something on the system I've had for the past year and a half...

ttttrigg3r wrote:
    I can confirm this problem.  It is very annoying to have to reset mouse scroll speed 5-10 times a day because I use my dock very often.  I have found no fix, whether temporary or permanent, to this problem.  I am using driver version 16.1xxxx (the latest "upgrade") and am very annoyed by this problem.  I hope Lenovo techs can help us.
    Have You tried removing the driver and installing an older version? The one that You know worked?
    T60/T618895-W4M, UXGA, T9300, 8GB RAM, Vertex3, Intel 6300 Win8.1
    R61e 7649-W1Z, T7250, Intel 6300

• Ultranav driver 15.2.20.0 unusable on T510

Hi, after installing ultranav driver 15.2.20.0 update, two finger scrolling became totally unresponsive on my system (T510 i7 Win7 64 Optimus).
    It works for the first time, but as I lift my fingers off the pad it looks like I have to wait at least two to three seconds in order to be able to use the feature again. The mouse cursor is unresponsive, shows the arrow and doesn't move.
    I had to revert back to 15.2.19.0, which I am happily using as I write this.
    Anyone experienced the same issue?

I am having the same issue on my T420S.
    There is one more bug I am experiencing. Sometimes after the system resumes from sleep, the ultranav driver does some weird things. For example, if I am trying to scroll with the trackpoint while holding the middle button, the cursor will still move around the screen.
    Even if I set the trackpoint stick to only use advanced features, and not act as a mouse, sometimes after resume it still moves around the screen.
    The only way to correct this is either to fully log out and back in, or to restart the system.

Maybe you are looking for

• How to upload data from R/3 system to BW

hi friends, i m new to SAP BW........... i hv upload data from local pc file to SAP bw system............ but i dont know jow to upload data from sap r/3 system to bw.......? pls tell me step by step procedure...for this..........?

• How to get MobileMe photo galleries into iWeb or from Aperture?

I currenlty use MobileMe for an iWeb  published site, on which I have a link to a several dozen photo galleries, all pub;ished from Aperture.  iPhoto has an iWeb "button", but Aperture does not so far as I can see.  I am trying to find the easiest wa

• Could we run PL/SQL using JACL?

Hi, Could we run the PL/SQL code using JCAL script or any other way doing it? I am aware about executing SQL queries using JACL script. thanks, Sumant

• Store procedure doesn't return resultset

hi guys i m stuck in a prob.I am using "com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver" when i call a normal query it run fine but when i try to call a store procedure it gives no result set was produce, is it a problem with driver but if i use jdbsodb

• Finder quits every now & then

every now and then, i'll find that the Finder quits while i'm using some other application, like Firefox. when i Cmd-Tab through the open apps, there's no Finder. the only way to restart the Finder is to quit all open apps (pretty annoying), and then