Unable to Hibernate my T60

Hi There,
Whenever I try to hibernate my T60, it goes into hibernation for a few seconds and comes out of it in a flash. I get an error message "Insufficient System Resources" in the system tray.
I was going through this post of "icantux" and I must say it makes perfect sense. However, in my case, I have 30GB of hard disk space in my primary partition out of which 13GB seems to be free.
My question is:
1. Is this space not enough yet?
2. Is there something else to this hibernation other than the disk space that counts?
My IT admin is clueless about what is causing this problem. With the same ghost image installed in other T60s, the hibernation works great. This leads me to believe that a software/driver conflict can't be a root cause for this.
I'll be glad if someone could help me out here. This is a wonderful community and there is enough reasons to spend a whole day on it learning some interesting things.
Thanks,
Venkstein
Solved!
Go to Solution.

Hi Venkstein,
Welcome to the Lenovo forum 
This is just a guess, but have you added RAM to your system? If so, perhaps the hibernation file is too small to hold the memory image. You might try disabling then re-enabling hibernation (through Fn-F3 / PowerManager or the Windows CP) to delete, then re-create the hibernation file.
Good luck!
-Frank
Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.
Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else.

Similar Messages

• [SOLVED] Unable to hibernate (and garbles the screen when it fails)

Hello,  I'm unable to hibernate (but I can suspend fine).
    When I run
    sudo systemctl hibernate
    it will run the command, turn off the screen and come back all garbled (like static from a tv), with the computer still on but the processes stopped.
    I followed all the instructions on the hibernation wiki.
    I rebuilt grub adding the swap partition and added the resume hook to mkinitcpio.
    My swap partition is 23.4GB and my ram is 16gb, so that shouldn't be an issue.
    I've had a look at my xorg logs, run systemctl --all | grep errors with nothing, and nothing came up from the system journal ( I forgot the command as it was deleted from my bash history).
    What other logs can I provide to help determine the error?
    Thanks
    edit:
    It's been solved now, I believe an update to the kernel has done the trick. I can suspend to disk fine now.
    For those googling, I'm running 3.11.6-1-ARCH
    Last edited by lugubrious (2013-11-13 00:21:27)

Still nothing unfortunately.
    I masked alsa90 under /etc/pm/sleep.d to be -x. That was the only file out of the pm directories. (I only have it for KDE too).
    I've also double checked my grub config to add resume, and mkinitcpio which has the resume hook.
    This is the relevant part of journalctl, this is when I run sudo systemlctl hibernate
    Oct 16 15:36:08 arch64 sudo[2228]: lugub : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/lugub ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/systemctl hibernate
    Oct 16 15:36:08 arch64 sudo[2228]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
    Oct 16 15:36:08 arch64 systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit xscreensaver.service, ignoring: Unit xscreensaver.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
    Oct 16 15:36:08 arch64 systemd[1]: Starting Sleep.
    Oct 16 15:36:08 arch64 systemd[1]: Reached target Sleep.
    Oct 16 15:36:08 arch64 systemd[1]: Starting Hibernate...
    Oct 16 15:36:08 arch64 kernel: PM: Hibernation mode set to 'platform'
    Oct 16 15:36:08 arch64 systemd-sleep[2231]: Suspending system...
    Oct 16 15:36:08 arch64 slim[340]: (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
    Oct 16 15:36:08 arch64 kernel: PM: Marking nosave pages: [mem 0x00092000-0x000fffff]
    Oct 16 15:36:08 arch64 kernel: PM: Marking nosave pages: [mem 0xcfda0000-0xffffffff]
    Oct 16 15:36:08 arch64 kernel: PM: Marking nosave pages: [mem 0xc4000000-0xc7ffffff]
    Oct 16 15:36:08 arch64 kernel: PM: Basic memory bitmaps created
    The error with xscreensaver service comes up when I sleep, (and run xscreensaver lock && suspend), but I can sleep fine with it.
    Oct 16 15:57:07 arch64 systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit xscreensaver.service, ignoring: Unit xscreensaver.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
    Oct 16 15:57:07 arch64 systemd[1]: Starting Sleep.
    Oct 16 15:57:07 arch64 systemd[1]: Reached target Sleep.
    Oct 16 15:57:07 arch64 systemd[1]: Starting Suspend...
    Oct 16 15:57:07 arch64 systemd-sleep[559]: Suspending system...
    Oct 16 15:57:07 arch64 kernel: PM: Syncing filesystems ... done.
    Oct 16 15:57:07 arch64 kernel: PM: Preparing system for mem sleep
    Oct 16 15:57:08 arch64 slim[341]: (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
    Oct 16 15:57:17 arch64 kernel: Freezing user space processes ... (elapsed 0.001 seconds) done.
    Oct 16 15:57:17 arch64 kernel: Freezing remaining freezable tasks ... (elapsed 0.001 seconds) done.
    Oct 16 15:57:17 arch64 systemd[1]: Time has been changed
    Oct 16 15:57:17 arch64 systemd[446]: Time has been changed
    Oct 16 15:57:17 arch64 systemd-sleep[559]: System resumed.
    When I ran pm-hibernate as suggested above it didn't suspend either, but this came up on journalctl
    Oct 16 14:37:03 arch64 kernel: PM: Cannot find swap device, try swapon -a.
    Oct 16 14:37:03 arch64 kernel: PM: Cannot get swap writer
    Any ideas? Thanks
    Last edited by lugubrious (2013-10-16 03:28:19)

• Systemd & systemd-sysvinit : 207-5 208-1 | unable to hibernate

Hi !
    After the update of systemd and systemd-sysvinit from v. 207-5 to v. 208-1, I'm experiencing an issue with xfce4-power-manager which cannot detect the ability of the computer to hibernate and so it desactivates the option (despite pm-hibernate works very well).
    The only solution I've found is to downgrade these two packages, and everything runs smooth.
    Is somebody experiencing the same issue and is there an obvious workaround I missed ?
    SilverWyrda

Hi !
    @venam : Yes, it seems to be a linked issue...
    @Jristz : I've the option to hibernate too only in the "Buttons" menu on the XFCE panel. However, the option is grayed out under the xfce4-power-manager menu, which also control for me the hibernate shortcut... I use polkit-gnome and I've tried lxpolkit but it was a bad experiment insofar as I've not been able to mount some partitions from thunar anymore so... (and typing the password to hibernate  . . . ).
    Thanks to you for your answers .
    Last edited by SilverWyrda (2013-10-11 17:33:55)

• Portege M300 - unable to hibernate or standy-by.

Hi,
    I have very strange problem with my 2,5 years old Portege M300. For some time now I cannot hibernate or put it in stand-by mode. Everything goes as it should, "going to stand by" windows appears and computers dies, hdd led blinks every 10 seconds and nothing happens even if wait for hours.
    It is the same with hibernation. It also sometimes happends that computer dies in similar way during regular job.
    It almost looks like the hdd stopped working. I have done some basic hdd testing and it looks like everything is ok.
    Do you have any ideas what could be the reason?
    Regards
    Blazej

Hi
    When did you reinstall the OS?
    Possibly its only a OS issue I mean its possible that your OS is muddled up and therefore some functions dont work as it should
    At the other hand a hardware issue (i.e. HDD, memory) could be also possible.
    But first of all if would be interesting to know if the notebook would functions after recovering.
    Bye

• Unable to Hibernate my U410

Hi!
    I've tried many ways, and I can't get the hibernate option out of my U410
    Scenario:
    1) I have installed a fresh Windows 7 Professional OS due to school requirement of the OS and changed a new MSATA SSD TO 128GB as I hope to get more spaces for my storage, and after installation I realized that the hibernate button(MOST IMPORTANT FUNCTION) is missing!
    2)I've tried many ways to get it up(powercfg, create hibernation partition(8192mb)) but it is still not appearing.
    3) I've seen many discussed that  I can go to the BIOS setting to enable the function, but I can't seem to find the option to do so!
    So Hoping someone could help me over here!!
    Thank You!
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Did you install energy management software and the vga drivers properly? Please do so!! See if it hibernates after that.
    Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
    If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.

• Unable to hibernate to disk

I installed and confugured Uswsusp according to the steps given at
    http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Suspend_to_Disk
    When I fire the hibernate command ...it seems that it takes the memory dump on to the swap partition /dev/sda7.
    But when I tried to resume it failed, the message displayed on the screen were like:
    Invalid resume device swap:/dev/sda7
    kinit: No resume Image , trying normal boot
    And the normal boot is successful
    Then I changed the the resume option in menu.lst to resume=/dev/sda7 instead of resume=swap:/dev/sda7
    Now the messages while booting were
    kinit: No resume Image , trying normal boot  .
    And the normal boot is successful.
    My etc/suspend.conf is
    # major 10, minor 231.
    snapshot device = /dev/snapshot
    # Set this to whatever your suspend partition is.
    # You will not need to provide a resume parameter to your
    # kernel when using uswsusp, as this file will be used.
    # This neccesitates using a initrd, though!
    resume device =/dev/sda7
    compress = y
    #image size = 350000000
    #suspend loglevel = 2
    #compute checksum = y
    #early writeout = y
    # You can only change these if you modified Makefile.diff
    # and have the requirements installed.
    #splash = y
    #encrypt = n
    Can smbdy please help ?

What command are you using to hibernate...  The uswsusp command is s2disk which needs to be executed as root.  IF you're using KDE and Gnome to hibernate, and you just choose an option from the menu, it is possible that some other hibernate command is executed that way, which would produce the symptoms you describe.

• Unable to hibernate win xp (857 bios 1.8)

i flashed new 1.8 bios (over 1.6) because i wanted to test raid 1 on ich5. went all fine but now i cant hibernate winxp anymore. xp freezes with message box 'preparing to hibernate'. this was an issue up to bios 1.4 or so with 1 gb ram but was runing fine with 1.5 and 1.6..
    any ideas?

i flashed new 1.8 bios (over 1.6) because i wanted to test raid 1 on ich5. went all fine but now i cant hibernate winxp anymore. xp freezes with message box 'preparing to hibernate'. this was an issue up to bios 1.4 or so with 1 gb ram but was runing fine with 1.5 and 1.6..
    any ideas?

• Partitioning 320GB in T60

G'day,
    I'm a new subscriber, with limited pc knowledge and expeience.
    I had trouble with my T60 (Type 6369 - A56) supplied 120GB drive.  Lenovo sent me a Rescue and Recovery CD with six Product Recovery CDs.  I fitted a new hard drive (WD3200JBKT - 75F4T0)  and restored it to the original factory contents following the instructions that came with the disks..  I will fit the original drive into a case and copy across only the data I really need and then use the 120GB drive as a back-up. 
    Before going any further I would like to partition the new drive so I can separate programs and data.  During the installation from the Lenovo disks I had no opportunity specify any partitions.  Can anyone advise how best to go about it and advise on a suitable partition size for the C:\ drive, please.
    I understand I should defrag the disk before I attempt to partition it.  Does the Diskeeper Lite pogram do a good defrag?  Would I get a better result from UltraDefrag?
    Thanks,
    John.

You can spend money on PartionMagic or use FREE GpartD LIVE which is 90% equivalent and perform your partition resize operations. ( Go Use Google to find them)
    It goes w/o saying but you better backup the data you consider invaluable from the disk before partition resizing, the risk of losing a parition is about as low as dying in the middle of tonsils surgery but it does happen and the resultsw are profound when it occurs.
    You have to be familiar with burning ISO files into CD's or at least have a Floppy drive / USB floppy drive or writable CD when using Partiton Magic.
    Regarding how to spec your OS partition, examine the current size and allocate an additional amounnt of free space  to include your systems MAX RAM regardless of your currently installed RAM since you may upgrade in the future
    Also, another equivalent  amount of RAM for free space on the same parition for your hiberfil.sys if you hibernate your T60.
    Next, add approxmiately another GB of free space for software installs, Microsoft Service Packs and Windows Update rudely ignore your systems %temp% variable and will sequester temp space at %systemdrive% (C:\..for most people) for temporary download and expand space when you run Windows update from their website or if it runs itself.
    ServicePacks can be launched with flags to redirect their temp space to another partitoin but I'll assume you aren't comfortabloe with swtiches and avoid the tutorial.
    You can always resize if you run out of space on either partiton and consider the following tips:
    1. Multiboot systems can use the same pagefile.sys on any partition since only one OS will be running at a time and if your system is configured to keep permanaent swap space on the HDD with numerous OS's, then just set every kernel to the same location to avoid wasting gobs of space on multiple pagefiles. The Pagefile can be relocated, I haven't learned of a method to relocate hiberfil.sys
    2. New applications considered crucial to your professional and personal life should be the only ones installed to the c:\ partiion since that partiiton may have to be hastily backed up and restored to a different hard drive or entirely diffrent PC.  If the OS requires applications installed on an unrescued partition then the recovered system may not boot and is the same thing as a family evacuating ship but leaving crucial siblings behind to sink.
    3. Forget the defrag, the catch22 of defrag is if you use spindle based drives, the peformance advantage gained by defragmenetation is constrained by your 5,400 or 7,200 RPM platters on spindles.
    If you're using SSD's and their blazing I/O, you never defrag since you're shortening the lifespan of the disk and SSD's just don't need defragmentation since the super performance more than compensaetes for any trivial latency of seeking your scattered data.
    4. Relocate your %temp% variables to the new data paritions to help skinny out your C drive, RTFM to learn how and query for other techniques to skinny out your %systemdrive% such as relocating all of those HotFix unisntall directoreis from %systemroot%.
    Don't just sit there, take a second and use the Kudo's button to compliment the people who help you.

• Cannot hibernate with 3.14 kernel

Hi,
    since the upgrade to kernel 3.14 I am unable to hibernate.
    I am hibernating with "systemctl hibernate".
    It always fails to freeze device 00:08:
    kernel: serial 00:08: disable failed
    kernel: dpm_run_callback(): pnp_bus_freeze+0x0/0x20 returns -5
    kernel: PM: Device 00:08 failed to freeze: error -5
    lspci -v tells me:
    0:08.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] PCI Bridge (rev a1) (prog-if 01 [Subtractive decode])
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=64
        Capabilities: [b8] Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 82e7
        Capabilities: [8c] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable+ Fixed-
    What does error code -5 mean? How do I debug this further? Where should I file a bug?
    Cheers,
    Faerbit

Hi,
    since the upgrade to kernel 3.14 I am unable to hibernate.
    I am hibernating with "systemctl hibernate".
    It always fails to freeze device 00:08:
    kernel: serial 00:08: disable failed
    kernel: dpm_run_callback(): pnp_bus_freeze+0x0/0x20 returns -5
    kernel: PM: Device 00:08 failed to freeze: error -5
    lspci -v tells me:
    0:08.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] PCI Bridge (rev a1) (prog-if 01 [Subtractive decode])
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=64
        Capabilities: [b8] Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 82e7
        Capabilities: [8c] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable+ Fixed-
    What does error code -5 mean? How do I debug this further? Where should I file a bug?
    Cheers,
    Faerbit

• PCMCIA-GPI​B driver does not support hibernatio​n

I have just installed a PCMCIA-GPIB card in a Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 laptop for a portable acqusition machine. The NI PCMCIA driver is version 2.3.0.3500.
    When the laptop is left idle, it will eventually hibernate to save power/battery, but is unable to hibernate because of the NI driver software (XP displays a message to that effect).
    Does NI have a patch to correct this problem, or does it have plans to develop a patch to the driver?
    Thanks,
    Jim Langston
    MI Technologies

The PCMCIA-GPIB is a PC-Card device. A 300% performance difference between that and the ENET/100 is quite significant however. There is a known issue with our 2.3 driver in which sending out command bytes took extra time. This issue will be fixed in our next driver release. In the meantime, you may give our 2.2 driver a shot(link).
    Looking at our benchmarks, the PCMCIA-GPIB should be faster that the ENET/100 for transfers smaller than 64KBytes. I believe that you may be hitting upon the command byte issue.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Craig A.
    National Instruments Engineer

• Unable to catch raiseerror exception from MS SQL Server Exception in hibernate

I am using raiseerror in MS SQL Server exception to throw customized error and it is working fine in database.
    But, I am unable to catch MS SQL Server Exception in hibernate. Please find the database & java syntax below.
    SQL Server Syntax:-
        ALTER PROCEDURE [grantiumSQL].[ERROR_MESSAGE]
        @ERRMSG NVARCHAR(4000)
        AS
        BEGIN
        -- Return if there is no error information to retrieve.    
        IF ERROR_NUMBER() IS NULL    
            RETURN;    
        DECLARE     
            @ErrorMessage    NVARCHAR(4000),    
            @ErrorNumber     INT,    
            @ErrorSeverity   INT,    
            @ErrorState      INT,    
            @ErrorLine       INT,    
            @ErrorProcedure  NVARCHAR(200);    
        -- Assign variables to error-handling functions that     
        -- capture information for RAISERROR.    
        SELECT     
            @ErrorNumber = ERROR_NUMBER(),    
            @ErrorSeverity = ERROR_SEVERITY(),    
            @ErrorState = ERROR_STATE(),    
            @ErrorLine = ERROR_LINE(),    
            @ErrorProcedure = ISNULL(ERROR_PROCEDURE(), '-'),   
            @ErrorMessage = @ERRMSG
        RAISERROR     
            @ErrorMessage,    
            @ErrorSeverity,     
            )WITH NOWAIT;
        END;
    Java Syntax:-
    public void callDeleteStoreProcedure(int workflowProjectId,String status){
      boolean shouldCommit = HibernateUtil.beginTxn();
      Session session = HibernateUtil.currentSession();
      try
      // query = session.getNamedQuery("deleteWorkflowProject_ora");
      Query callStoredProcedure = session.createSQLQuery("{PROCEDUR_NAME(?,?)}");
      callStoredProcedure.setInteger(0, prj);
      callStoredProcedure.setString(1, status);
      callStoredProcedure.executeUpdate();
         }catch (HibernateException e) {
         e.printStackTrace();
      catch (Exception e) {
          e.printStackTrace();
      HibernateUtil.commitTxn(shouldCommit);
    Thanks in advance

HI! We have the same problem. Have you manage to resolve it?

• Unable to reference Hibernate libraries in NW CE 7.1

Hi,
    I am unable to reference Hibernate liberaries in NW CE 7.1. Though I have followed the steps mentioned in the some example (blog), still getting the same error.
    Can somebody help me if this is limitation or if I missed any setting.
    Thanks in advance
    Thanks,
    Prathap

Hi Prathap and Richard!
    Look if the solution to my case can help you:
    Migrating to SAP Web AS - HibernateException: Errors in named queries
    Regards.
    Ballock.
    Edited by: Ballock on Aug 21, 2008 3:59 PM

• T61s, T60s & older model unable to PXE boot to SCCM (MAC address problem)

Hi, 
    We have a series of T60, T61 & older machines that are unable to PXE boot to SCCM. The T400 & X series & other newer models can boot just fine. 
    After checking further, we realised that only a certain range of MAC addresses are unable to pxe boot i.e 
    00-1A-XXXXXXX
    00-1C-XXXXXXX 
    range.. all the other range of MAC addresses are fine to boot via network. 
    The error when doing network boot  is "bad or missing discovery server list" 
    Also, we are running on SCCM 2012 at the moment. Our branch office who is running SCCM 2008 can have all the machines - regardless of models & brand boot just fine. 
    Any ideas?  Much appreciated. 

did it obtain IP address from DHCP server? is DNS server address is configured in DHCP scope? can you ping using IP address?
    if drivers are proper will suggest to update it in boot media & enable command line support to make it easy for deployment & troubleshooting.
    Prashant Patil

• T60 (8743) w/ Dock, Fingerprint KB and Windows 7 unable to undocl

I am posting this in two areas in hopes to find someone who can give me an idea if they have had success with Windows 7 and the 8743 (T60) w/ Adv Mini Dock and the USB Preferred Fingerprint Keyboard.
    I have been combing through these forums as well as others and I am unable to find anyone who has this issue.
    This only happens under Windows 7.  I have installed all the Lenovo drivers included in the System Update as well as the Betas but never can solve this.
    The problem occurs when I try to eject the T60 (8743) from the Adv Mini dock that has the USB Fingerprint Keyboard connected.  If I remove the keyboard before undocking it is fine and the machine undocks normally.
    Thank you

I have the same issue with my X201 ....
    When docked and a fingerprint keyboard is connected to the docking station, I can't undock.
    It prompt me the message about the touchchip.
    Have created a call at Lenovo, but until now no solution is available.

• T60 no stand-by/hibernate option.

I've finally reformated my T60 using a clean XP disk and managed to install some drivers to allow it to function minimally. However, I've discovered that I have no stand-by/hibernate option anywhere. I've installed the power management driver from Lenovo (I hope it was the right one), but I still can't get it to work.

sameex schrieb:
    Neither method works.
    I can't standby or hibernate. (I need standby in order to hibernate, and standby is greyed out).
    Controlpanel - "Add/Remove Programs" resp. "Programs and functions"
    Search entries containing "Power Management" "PM-Device" and similar.
    Remove all these entries(=drivers) and reboot then.
    After login install the Power Management Driver i have linked above.
    My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
    Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
    My ThinkPad-Collection

Maybe you are looking for