Unable to turn on wifi power saving thinkpad t410

Hi --
I'm having a bit of trouble getting my wireless power-saving to work.  I'm using TLP, which has a wireless power save option which I've set to "on".  However, when I run iwconfig it appears power-saving is disabled:
wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"dd-wrt"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: 68:7F:74:08:05:81
Bit Rate=18 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=70/70 Signal level=-37 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:221 Missed beacon:0
When I try setting it manually I get an error:
sudo iwconfig wlan0 power on
Error for wireless request "Set Power Management" (8B2C) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.
Here's the relevant output of lspci:
03:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN Controller (rev 10)
I'm using the rtl8192se module, which has an option "ips" which enables link power saving.  It defaults to "on", but I manually turned it on as well.  Still no dice.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get wireless power-saving to work?  Anyone with a thinkpad t410 had any luck?
Thanks in advance!

The realtek power saving feature does not work.  At least I could never get it to work, nor could I ever find relevent documentation regarding powersaving on the device.  It is kind of crappy IMO.

Similar Messages

• HT6010 Unable to turn on wifi on my iPhone 4 after the iOS 7.03 update.  Is there a fix for this?

After installing the iOS 7.0.3 update on my iPhone 4S I am unable to turn on wifi.  Is there a fix for this?

Not really.
    I upgraded to ios 8.0.2 and the problem goes on.
    I restored it to factory settings, and started installing every app, one by one, and the Copy + Paste problem still happens.
    I have an iPhone 4S 32GB

• Blackberry 9360 unable to turn on wifi

i have been tryign to turn on my wifi on my blackberry and it keeps saying unable to turn on wifi i have down graded softward and stiil the sape reinstalled software still same also wiped phoen still same taken battery out loads of times still the same the phoen is only 2 weeks old help please

Hello simon1982 and welcome to the BlackBerry® Support Community Forums.
    Sorry to hear you're experiencing an issue with your Wi-Fi® on your BlackBerry® Curve™ 9360 smartphone.
    To clarify, when you go to place a check in Wi-Fi, you get the error Unable to turn on Wi-Fi? Is that the full error or is there more to it? 
    Does your device happen to be active on a BlackBerry® Enterprise Server? Or was it active on a BES at one point? 
    Thanks!
    -HMthePirate
    Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp
    Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

• HT201401 i am unable to turn on wifi and bluetooth

I am unable to turn on wifi and bluetooth.

Look here.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1559?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

• Curve 9360 unable to turn on wifi

Whenever i try turning on my wifi, the little box just goes gray for a while, and then goes back to normal. So whenever i go under manage connections and i try turning it on it says "unable to turn on wifif". If you click troubleshoot and click on wifi diagnostics, under blackberry infrastructure the connecting box has an red x in it. If i view it it says "connecting: error". It seems to have started after i updated something and the restarted my phone. I dont know if that has anything to do with it but anyways if anyone could help me i would greatly appreciate it !

OK...then we cannot target the specific cause and must instead do the most drastic things.
    First step, get a good full backup of your BB:
    1) If you are on less than BBM7, backup your BBM Contacts to Device or Media Card Memory
    KB20554 How to back up and restore the BlackBerry Messenger contact list
    2) Via Mass Storage Mode, copy the entire contents of your Device and Media Card Memory to your computer
    KB11879 What is mass storage mode
    3) Take a full backup of your BB to your computer via the Desktop Software
    KB12487 How to back up BlackBerry smartphone data using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows
    Make sure you have a good separate inventory of all of your add-on apps...most especially those you obtain from other than AppWorld. If you only obtain apps from AppWorld, then you should be OK as it will help you reinstall them later, including those you purchased. But, for non-AppWorld, you need to check those vendors out as to what you have to do in order to reacquire and reactivate your apps from them.
    Further, make sure you 100% know your current BB ID credentials (both the UserID and the Password)...you will need them.
    Now, perform a Device WIPE:
    KB14058 How to delete all data and applications from the BlackBerry smartphone using the Security Wipe option
    KB16307 Actions performed by the BlackBerry smartphone during the removal of stored user and application data
    After it reboots, it will likely make you do a few things, including re-associate to a BB ID...be sure to use the EXACT same BB ID credentials that you originally associated to that BB. As soon as you are done with all of the things it makes you do, immediately proceed to trying the WiFi. Before bothering with anything else, we need to know if this worked or not.
    If it did not work, then stop now and let me know...
    If it did work, then proceed with this:
    I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):
    1) Register HRT
    KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
    Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app
    2) Delete and Resend Service Books
    KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
    If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
    KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
    Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.
    3) Batt Pull Reboot
    With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.
    Now proceed to restore from the backup you took:
    KB10339 How to use BlackBerry Desktop Software to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone from a backup file
    Now check the contents of your Device and Media Card Memory areas...if they are not fully populated as you recall, use what you copied to your computer to put back anything to the BB.
    Now restore your BBM Contacts, as per the KB way above.
    Now reinstall your apps from AppWorld as well as other locations that you may have obtained apps from (that inventory you took up top).
    Good luck!
    Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
    If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
    Join our BBM Channels
    BSCF General Channel
    PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
    Knowledge Base Updates
    PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code

• Can't turn off WiFi Power Management with iwconfig

I had an issue with my WiFi connection dropping occasionally, and I found that my situation was the same as described in this part of the Wicd wiki article: <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi … connecting>, so I used iwconfig to turn power management off, like it said. But, the disconnecting issue is still there. I think power management is still on, because of this:
    [<...>]$ cat "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:02:00.0/net/wlan0/power/control"
    auto
    [<...>]$ cat "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:02:00.0/net/wlan0/device/power/control"
    on
    Yet, iwconfig still shows that power management is off:
    [<...>]$ iwconfig wlan0
    wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"<...>"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:21:A0:F9:FD:C3
    Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm
    Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Power Management:off
    Link Quality=48/70 Signal level=-62 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:2 Invalid misc:239 Missed beacon:0
    Info
    Using Wicd for network management
    Wireless card: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
    Using systemd
    [<...>]$ systemctl | grep net
    sys-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:1c.1-0000:02:00.0-net-wlan0.device loaded active plugged AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
    sys-subsystem-net-devices-wlan0.device loaded active plugged AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
    wicd.service loaded active running Wicd a wireless and wired network manager for Linux
    network.target loaded active active Network
    Last edited by thorion (2012-11-02 19:42:57)

Haven't had this problem since I switched to NetworkManager, even with power management on...

• Mountain lion: unable to turn on wifi

Got a tricky problem on my MacBook Pro. A while ago I started losing my internet connection while surfing, so I tried resetting my wifi by turning it off and on. For some reason, I can't turn it back on. When I reboot my system, internet works perfectly for a while, then suddenly stops. It doesn't shut down, but I can't find any networks in the list.
    I took it to my local Mac Store, and they deleted the system prefereces files, but it didn't fix the problem. I also reinstalled the entire OS, and I did so by formatting the hard drive and installing Snow Leopard directly from the CD that came with the computer. Then I patched up to Mountain Lion, but it didn't fix it either.
    I don't know if it's a hardware error. I mean, it works fine just after rebooting the system, but the problem should have disappeared by reinstalling the OS. They can't help me down at the mac store, and I refuse paying 500 Swedish crowns for a single phone call to Apple Support. I'm running out of options here, please help me!

To OP: i have been having this problem for months now.  I have been able to fix it temporarily by many methods, but it keeps happening again.  Sometimes it will be fine for five minutes and sometimes several days, but always the problem repeats. I am now thinking it is the network card or the antenna.  I will keep you updated.  Let me know if you've had any luck.
    Here is what I have tried, in various combinations:
    Reboot computer
    Connect to a different network
    Hardware reset: shut down computer, then press and hold power button until white LED on front edge of computer flashes rapidly, then release power button
    Pram reset: restart while holding command option p r at the same time until start up tone plays
    Erase configuration file: Finder menu: Go: go to folder: type in /library/preferences/SystemConfiguration: hit enter, drag systemconfiguration folder into trash: enter admin password at prompt: restart computer
    Create new location and delete existing: System Preferences: Network: Location: Edit locations...: add new location with + button: remove existing location with - button: restart computer
    Set service order: : System Preferences: Network: choose gear drop down menu icon below connection list window at right: set service order: drag wifi to top of list: restart computer
    clean reinstall of operating system - format disk and reinstall from scratch

• HT201471 WIFI is gray and unable to turn on, WIFI doesn't work what to do

My WIFI is gray and will not work what to do, all directions tell to get on line, well I can't so I can I fix it Thanks

Reset the iPad.  Hold the power and home buttons down until the Apple logo appears.
    Barry

• How to turn off EPU Power Saving and Certain C-States in Bios

I have the MSI X99 AC Xpower
    how can I turn off like specific c states like c6 c7 and c1e? And I see no where to turn off EPU

C-State/C1E setting are under OC CPU Features (at the bottom)

• Unable to turn on Wifi  to update iOS 7.0.4 on my iPhone 4

I received an update message for IOS 7.0.4on my IPhone4.  This update is most likely for another model; not for my iPhone 4. The message ays that this update requires a Wi-Fi network connection to download.  It is hard to imagine why such restriction is required given that many Wi-Fi networks are unrealiable and unsecured. The most annoying part about this situation is that it is not possible to get rid of the Software Update alert (reminding the customer about your lack of oversight; over and over!).  How can this problem be fixed?!  Thank you.
    [email protected]

When I update it's showing
    No longer connect with internet

• HT4623 i am totally unable to turn on wifi on my new iphone 4s after updating it to ios 6

this is ridiculous having such issues in ios 6 totally disappointed.

I had to go to apple store and get a new one, after they tried numerous attempts. There is no way to fix an iPhone if it loses onnectivity after doing suggestions listed else where. 

• How do you turn off power saving mode on a Officejet 6000

I have 5 Officejet 6000 printer contected by using the ethernet port. They print fine when not in power saving mode. When they go into power saving mode and a print job is sent to them, they do not print. You have to power off and on the printer for the job to print. I need to turn off the power saving mode on these printers. Computers sending print jobs are XP and Window 7.

I am not aware of a way to turn that feature off completely since it does not have a front panel.
    However, I suspect largely that the issue is with DHCP IP (automatic) settings.  Printers in general, with some routers, have issues with DHCP and standby where they no longer communicate using DHCP information.
    I recommend setting static IP addresses for any printer on a network as it prevents most network issues with printers from occuring.  
    Print a network configuration page by holding the network button for 3 seconds and then releasing it.  A printout should be printed with the printers IP address.
    Once that is done, enter that IP address into the browser on a computer as if you were going to a site.  Once that is entered, go to that site and the printer status page should be loaded.
    There should be a Network option at the top.  Select that option.
    On this page, somewhere on the left, there should be an IPv4 option in a wired section.  Select this and it will give the option for automatic or manual IP setup.
    Select Manual IP setup.  Enter The IP address and subnet mask from the printout.  You can enter the gateway and the DNS servers, but they aren't really used since this printer does not have any web functions.
    Click apply and you should get a success message.
    At this point, the printer should have a static IP address and the issue of it not responding after entering standby should no longer be present.  
    PrintDoc's post has similar steps for a wireless version of the same printer.  The only step that would really be different is choosing Wired instead of Wireless on the setup page.
    ↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

• HT4199 iOS 6.0 wifi button unable, can't turn on wifi button

After update my iPhone 4S, my Wifi button has disable and now unable to turn ON Wifi. Do u have a solution? Need it urgently... I hope Apple support could attend to it soonest. Thank you

Try the suggestions here to fix this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1559?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
    If these don't work you may have a hardware problem.

• HT204409 wifi unable to turn on iphone 4s

Hello
    could you hepl me
    unable to turn on wifi
    what the solution??

Hello Nivine80,
    Thanks for the question. I understand that your Wi-Fi option on an iPhone 4S is greyed out. The following article explains this issue and potential resolution:
    iOS: Wi-Fi settings grayed out or dim
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1559
    Follow these steps to resolve the issue:
    1. Verify that airplane mode is off by tapping Settings > Airplane Mode.
    2. Reset the network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
    Note: This will reset all network settings, including Bluetooth pairing records, Wi-Fi passwords, VPN, and APN settings
    3. Ensure that your device is using the latest software. To do so, connect your device to your computer and check for updates in iTunes.
    4. If your issue is still unresolved, perform a software restore in iTunes.
    If you are still unable to turn Wi-Fi on, please contact Apple for support and service options.
    Thanks,
    Matt M.

• Officejet pro 8500a power saving mode

My  Officejet Pro 8500a goes into power saving mode too soon and too frequently.  Is it possible to turn this feature, power saving mode, off? 

Yes you can go into the setup menu, to preferences down to Energy save mode and turn it off.
    Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Maybe you are looking for

• VL02N:Post Goods Issue Error: PXA_NO_FREE_SPACE

Hi gurus, i am testing post goods issue under vl02n after posting&delivering a sales order with type OR. the ' PXA_NO_FREE_SPACE' error occured after my clicking post good issue. PFB the error log, can anyone help to solve it out. TIA.     No PXA sto

• How do I create a pdf in numbers?

I have spent a few hours trying to work out how to create a pdf from a numbers worksheet. I don't seem to have the option to do it on my ipad 2 (OS latest version). Purchased numbers a week ago. If I open numbers then: If I go to Tools, Share, Print

• Modality bug

has anyone else had problems with modality using the bridge. it totally fouls up for me.... i have tried two ways if i do this... public class MyFrame extends JFrame implements Serializable{   public MyFrame(){     super("Test One");     setSize(20,2

• Antivirus on VMs or on Host only?

Hi, We use Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) on our host machines. Do you also install antivirus software on each VM, or do you reckon SEP will protect the running VMs as well? Will SEP even be able to scan into a shut down VM file system? By runnin

• Cant create directory in /home

When I try to create a user in /home it won't let me. It shows that it is readable and executable only. Should I change the permissions. Or do I have to put the user directories in another location.