Upgrade HDD speed in Thinkpad T530?

Hi all. I just ordered a Thinkpad T530 with the 1TB, 5400rpm hard drive. I'm now having second thoughts about that drive and wondering if I should upgrade it myself to a 7200rpm drive (it's too late to change my order).
I will be using this computer for Adobe CS6 programs such as Photoshop, InDesign, and After Effects. I will also probably be running Linux in VirtualBox. Will the 5400rpm hard drive make these programs run noticeably slower than a 7200rpm HDD? I also have an i7 processor and 8GB of DDR3 RAM.
If you think it's worth it to buy a 7200rpm drive (probably a smaller size), where do you suggest I buy it? I'm not sure how to tell if a hard drive sold online will be compatible with my T530. And can I get a Windows disk from Lenovo to install Windows on the new hard drive without having to purchase a whole new copy of Windows?
Thanks!
Gentoo Linux/Windows 7 Home Premium on Lenovo Thinkpad T530

'afternoon...
welcome to the community.
first, i recommend that once you receive the machine, use the "Create Recovery Media" function found by searching for same from the Start Orb (or in the Control Panel, i think). i like creating on DVDs. second, contact Service and request that they send you a factory recovery DVD set. functionally, both sets will do the same thing, namely, restore your machine to a factory-delivered state.
once you have these in hand, you can consider how you want to configure/reconfigure the storage systems. personally, i would look into getting a mSATA SSD for OS/swap/temp/apps and using either recovery set to image it, and then repurposing the terabyte drive as data/documents/video/photo/etc.
cheers.
edit: clarification and correction.
English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество
Community Resources: Participation Rules • Images in posts • Search (Advanced) • Private Messaging
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
X1C3 Helix X220 X301 X200T T61p T60p Y3P • T520 T420 T510 T400 R400 T61 Y2P Y13
I am not a Lenovo employee.

Similar Messages

• Thinkpad T530 Integrated Camera not working

Hi Folks, 
    I got my thinkpad T530 last week. I tested the skype after opening the box and it works. Then I took off the original 320G HDD and put my 830 SSD on it, reinstalled the win8 and blah blah blah.
    Just last night when I tried to chat with my parents on skype i found out the the camera is dead. I tried by doing so:
    1) according to others threads I uninstall most of the unnecessary drivers;
    2) reinstall the camera driver;
    3) deleted the ricoh media driver;
    4) updated the BIOS;
    5) tired to locate someone mentioned, the "privacy" problem. But the video/camera option is not even showing up by Fn+F6;
    6) downloaded and installed the thirdparty AMCAM and it says no camera device can be found. 
    Please let me know if there is anything else i can do. 
    Thank you ,
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

technically it's the same. I don't think there is a difference between t530 and e series.
    Are you using win 8 or win7? for win8 it's a windows 8 app (after you pressing windows button..)

• When is verizon going to upgrade fios speed tiers?

I'd like to upgrade my speed from 35/35 plan.  Does anyone know when Verizon is going to upgrade the fios speed tiers?  Compared to cable co docsis 3, fios is starting to look and feel slow.

Verizon does have higher speed tiers if you really want the additional speed. Their 50M/20M package is certainly feeling dated since it hasn't been updated in... 5 years? but they did introduce a 150M/75M package for a good deal of money a month, as fast but unfortunate as that might be. Now if what you're asking for is a speed boost on all the tiers, Verizon tends to boost the speeds every year to a year and a half. Lately these boosts have been silent. The 35Mbps tier, for example tends to clock in 43 or so Megabits on the download and about 38Mbps on the upload. Since you have that package, I'd check to see what you're really getting.
    I would like to see 50Mbps/20Mbps go to 100Mbps/100Mbps sometime in the near future, though. 150Mbps/75Mbps goes to 250Mbps/250Mbps. That'd be very nice to see and by no means will DOCSIS 3.0 get that kind of upload any time soon.
    As it currently stands, the highest DOCSIS 3.0 package available to me is 50Mbps/5Mbps. FiOS's basic package in my area still beats that plan in upload by an additional megabit. The legacy 50Mbps/20Mbps speed smokes that cable connection in upload, and is also $20 cheaper a month believe it or not.
    Here, the packages run as follows:
    1Mbps/384kbps DSL > Runs at 1Mbps/340kbps. Comparative Cable package: 768kbps/128kbps. ($25 for DSL and Cable).
    3Mbps/1Mbps > Runs at 5Mbps/2Mbps. Comparative Cable Package: 10Mbps/1Mbps ($30/m FiOS, $40/m Cable).
    15Mbps/5Mbps > Runs at 20Mbps/6Mbps. Comparative cable package: 15Mbps/2Mbps (~$50/m for Cable, $45 FiOS).
    25Mbps/25Mbps > Runs at 30Mbps/26Mbps. Comparative Cable package: 30Mbps/5Mbps ($60/m for Cable, $55/m for FiOS).
    35Mbps/35Mbps > Runs at 43Mbps/38Mbps, available if you have Phone or TV with FiOS. Comparative Cable package: 50Mbps/5Mbps (Same price as the 25Mbps for FiOS, Cable is $100/m).
    50Mbps/20Mbps > Runs at 51Mbps/20Mbps. Comparative Cable package: 50Mbps/5Mbps. ($80/m FiOS, $100/m Cable)
    150Mbps/35Mbps > Runs at 155Mbps/75+Mbps. Comparative Cable package: 50Mbps/5Mbps ($200/m FiOS, $100/m Cable).
    So I guess it really depends on what market you live in, I guess. A Comcast or Cablevision market i'm sure would have higher speed Cable packages, and in the case of Cablevision, ones that cost less and that would be where I'd expect Verizon to boost speeds. Other than that, FiOS does have the overall edge in my area regardless, as long as you don't cheap out and go with the unadvertised packages.
    ========
    The first to bring me 1Gbps Fiber for $30/m wins!

• Thinkpad T530 Integrated Camera no longer works

Hi, I bought my ThinkPad T530 laptop in August of this year and about a month ago I used the Lenovo ThinkVantage updater and it updated the driver for my web cam. Ever since then it has stopped working.
    Whenever I open the web conferencing menu, it only shows options for the microphone, and nothing for the camera. I have tried hitting Fn+F6 and accessing it via other software e.g. Skype, Oovoo, Picasa. And they say that my webcam cannot be detected.
    When I checked for the webcam in device manager  it said it was installed and working properly, and that the driver was up to date. I went to the lenovo website and downloaded the driver for the camera from there (g1ca16ww) and tried to update the driver manually hoping that that would fix the problem. Alas, it did not. I also checked the BIOS settings to make sure that the camera was enabled. It was. So then I tried to reinstall the driver by uninstalling it, and using the driver I downloaded from the Lenovo website to reinstall. It installed properly, but now the webcam is no longer listed in the hardware manager and the dropdown for Imaging Devices, where it was located before, is no longer visible. I also rechecked the BIOS menu to make sure the camera was still listed there and it is. I do not know why it isn't working. Does anyone know how to fix it? I have also tried system restore and that didn't work either, the device still isn't listed. I don't want to have to wipe my computer. Please help.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hi HLemieux,
    I researched your issue and this is what I found from the Lenovo Assisted Search:
    "If your webcam on your laptop is not working, try these following steps:
    1. Be sure your webcam driver is installed. (It can be found at http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/ot/en/DriversDownLoads/Drivers.html)
    2. By checking the webcam if it is disabled by Fn+Esc.
    If you see the cross line on the webcam sign press to Fn+Esc to enable the webcam.
    3. If you do not see the webcam sign on the right corner of display after pressing Fn+Esc, be sure your Energy Management is installed. (It can be found at http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/ot/en/DriversDownLoads/Drivers.html)
    After you download the Energy Management driver from Lenovo Website, install the software.
    During energy management installation if you see the window as below “Utility” must be selected for Fn hot-key application (Utility is a software package under EM)
    4. After installation of Energy Management please perform step 2 to enable Webcam if it is disabled."
    Try this and let us know how it works for you.
    Have a GREAT day!
    Be AWESOME Everyday!
    Donate KUDOS and Click "Accepted Solution"
    Did someone help you today?
    Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"
    This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

• New MBP 13" w/ Upgrade HDD/RAM question ??

Just received MacBook Pro 13" 2.26, along with larger HDD/RAM from 3rd party online retailer.
    Question - Do I just upgrade HDD/RAM even before I start MBP for the first time? OR do I start MBP first do the registration, etc. THEN replace HDD/RAM afterwards?? Does it matter?
    Also, using RESTORE disc on blank HDD will install EVERYTHING to factory default setting (apps, etc)??

I know it takes time but I would continue with the install just to make sure the stock HD is ok.
    Yes, once you install your 3rd party HD you can use your install Disk. When you install your new hard drive you need to put in the install Disk and format your new HD before loading the install.
    Here are the steps I use:
    1. Put in your install Disk (make sure it's the INSTALL DISK #1)
    2. Remove old HD and install new HD.
    3. Restart Computer and hold down the Option, Command, P, R keys all at the same time (this is known as resetting PRAM) until I hear 3 bong sounds...then release all keys. I would recommend if you haven't done this yet to practice.
    4. After I release the keys I turn OFF the computer by holding the down on the power button until the power goes off.
    5 Press the power button and before the first bong press and HOLD the C key until I see the spinning spoke wheel...then release the C key.
    6 Once booted to the install Disk #1 go to disk utilities and format the new HD drive using the GUID partition table.
    7. Start the install.
    Message was edited by: D/FW

• 1TB HDD in a Thinkpad T500?

Is it possible to replace the SATA 160GB hdd with a 1TB hdd in a Thinkpad T500? It seems some notebooks don't support large drives. Thanks in advance!
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Most of the larger drives (>= 750GB) use something called "advanced formatting". That means that the tracks are divided into 4kb sectors, rather than 512-byte sectors. I run a 750GB drive in my W500, so I doubt there are any other problems. In general, once you deal with advanced formatting, there are no other problems until you go over 2TB, where you need to format it as a GPT rather than an MBR drive. The considerations related to advanced formatting depend on what OS you are using, so do a search (using whatever search engine you like) on "Advanced format drives vista" substituting your OS.

• Thinkpad T530 Constant Beeping From CD Drive

My Thinkpad T530 has been constantly beeping for a few days now.
    My laptop is about a month old and didn't start beeping until recently.
    It isn't beeping from the speakers, but from some internal source.
    I can hear it best when I put my ear up to the CD drive.
    I am not sure if it is coming from the CD drive itself but it is from that general area.
    It's a quiet beep and it beeps about once a second. 
    Please help I really don't feel like sending my laptop in for such a minor issue.

so it is beeping without you even touching the keyboard?
    Regards,
    Jin Li
    May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
    I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

• Upgrading internet speed, will it change my settings

hi all. my first macbook pro is about a month old now and i like it so much i was thinking about upgrading my internet speed. i have att medium dsl, but i may get the faster one. my question is: will this cause me to have to change anything around in my airport? i don't know if this is an att specific question or just anytime anyone upgrades any speed do they have to redo anything. i'm not real good at this stuff and in fact never had wireless in my house til i got this macbook pro, so if it's gonna mess everything up, i'll just leave it as is. thanks, this forum is very helpful and i read it daily just to pick up tips.

Hi,
    Upgrading your internet speed through your service provider will not affect any settings you have set up between your wireless router and your MacBook Pro. It will be a silent and seamless upgrade.

• Lenovo ThinkPad T530 - N1B3RPB84 - add backlight keyboard

Hello,
    I have bought new ThinkPad T530 (N1B3RPB84 - Core i5 3210M / 15,6 HD+ / 8192 RAM / 500 GB / Quadro NVS 5400M) but without keyboard with backlight. Is it possible to add this feature to my model (where can I buy keyboard)?
    Lenovo ThinkPad T530

call up warranty support and ask for the backlight model of the keyboard, they should allow you to purchase them as an aftermarket self service part.
    Regards,
    Jin Li
    May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
    I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

• Upgrade HDD - Satellite Pro 4270

Is it possible to upgrade HDD more than 6 GB? Thanks

Hello
    Unfortunately there is no public document about HDD upgrade but i presume that 10 or even 12 GB HDD should work well.

• I've got an apple 3TB time capsule.  It was working fine until we moved to a new house.  The day the ISP showed up to upgrade my speed it stopped working.  Now will not pick up signal.  What happened what do I do?

I've got an apple 3TB time capsule.  It was working fine until we moved to a new house.  The day the ISP showed up to upgrade my speed it stopped working.  Now will not pick up signal.  What happened what do I do?

What signal is it picking up? Are you joining wireless network? If so don't.. it is really poor way to run things.
    Is it connected to a cable modem? Full router or just a modem type?
    Try a reset?
    Plug in via ethernet.. turn off everything.. wait 5min then restart cable modem.. if that doesn't work, give it a longer off cycle.. 15min or overnight.
    We need more info.

• Experiencing three problems with Thinkpad T530 (Network, keyboard, and touch pad)

I bought thinkpad t530 2 years ago and gave it to my sister 4 monts age and recently she is experiencing few problems.
    Before I mention any problems with it, I would like to mention that my sister hasn't updated software or driver for more than 60 days through lenovo solution center.
    First, she cannot connect to a network (both wirelessly and internet cable).
                The error says "There might be a problem with the driver for the Wireless Network Connection 2 adapter"
    Second, the keyboard is not working.
                The keyboard works fine when it was in BIOS mode and the keys associated with Fn keys work fine too, such as                 brightness contorl and backlit keyboard keys. However, it seems like the keyboard doesn't work in Windows 7.                     When she went into drivers manger to see what was the problem,  it says, "Windows cannot load the device driver                 for this hardware. The driver may be computed or missing. (Code 39)"
    Third, the touchpad and red pointer is not working.
              Similar with the keyboard problem, the touchpad and red poting device is not working. In the device manger it                          says,"This device cannot start. (Code 10)."

Hi Rbtlr0215,
    Welcome to Lenovo Community!
    As per the query we understood that you are facing multiple issues on your ThinkPad T530.
    For keyboard issue, check if the issue persisting in ‘Safe mode’ option. Check with uninstalling the Keyboard adapter from device manager.
    For internet issue, check if the issue persists in ‘Safe mode with network’ option, Check with uninstalling the Wifi drivers from Control panel – Program & feature options.
    For Touchpad issue, check with uninstalling the UltraNav drivers from Control panel – Program & feature options and restart the system, let the Windows install the generic driver for your system.
    After performing all the above steps run thinkvantage system update utility to check for latest driver for your system.
    Hope this helps.
    Best regards,
    Hemanth Kumar
    Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
    Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

• How thick is the 1tb upgraded hdd in the non-retina 15" MacBook Pro?

Hi there.
    Just wondering if the 1tb upgraded hdd in the non-retina 15" MacBook Pro is 9.5mm or 12.5mm thick?
    I'm hoping to move this drive into the optical bay and use a 12.5mm drive that I already own in the main HDD bay.
    I realise it's an expensive upgrade and I could buy a separate 9.5mm drive for less than half the price but I'd rather make use of a supplied 1tb drive than get rid of a 500gb drive that I'd have no use for.
    Appreciate your thoughts.
    Many thanks in advance.

Hey knigar,
    Thanks for the question, and welcome to Apple Support Communities.
    When troubleshooting issues with external displays, I find the following article provides the most relevant information:
    Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1573
    Thanks,
    Matt M.

• IMac fan speed increased after upgrading hdd.

iMac mid 2010 i3, I replaced stock hdd to a two terabyte western digital caviar green. After replacing the fan speed rapidly increased. I installed smc and still no resolution.

FIXED THE ISSUE....    This took a little time, but it was a simple fix.  The LCD sensor that you have to disconnect from before removing the LCD was the issue.  After receiving HIGH CPU fan speeds, I began looking at possible issues.  First, I had [http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/12381/temperature-monitor|Temperature Monitor] Installed.  I had all my sensors including the ambient air sensor reading.  After I upgraded my HD to a SSD I started getting HIGH CPU fan speeds, but the HD and DVD fan speeds were fine.  I looked at my Temperature Monitor and I noticed i had several Temperature Monitors not reading including the ambient Air Temperature (bare with me, these are steps to troubleshoot).  After reseting the SMC and PRAM, still nothing.  I shut down and disassembled  my IMAC again.  This time after i removed the LCD, I looked at the LCD cable that you must disconnect when removing the LCD and BAM, I saw the issue.  The wires that connect to the Motherboard from the LCD Sensor, inherently like to lay across the screw hole the Bezel attaches to.  I have a couple of pinched marked that exposed the wires and when I tighten the bezel down, it shorted the wires and caused the issue.  I cut small pieces of electrical tape and covered the bare spots.  When I reassembled the IMAC, i made sure that all my BEZEL screw holes were completely clear of any wires.  Once back together, I plugged in the IMAC, waited 5 Seconds and turned it on.  All is well.  I feel this a majority of everyones issues when they take apart their IMACS and put them back together.  THe Fan Control SOftware is good, but this was my solution that worked.  Hope this helps.

• Thinkpad T530 Hard Drive Cloning

Hello,
    I'm looking for best practices, recommendations, lessons learned, etc. for copying the hard drive contents of one T530 to nine other identical T530s recently purchased for software engineering usage.  A current snap shot of our old laptops shows that  we have 214 programs loaded (majority of these programs are not pre-loaded from Lenova), so I'm looking for the most efficient and painless way of getting all the laptops loaded with an identical image.  In the past we have used Norton Ghost but encountered issues with using legacy IBM Thinkpad laptops.  Does the built-in Rescue and Recovery handle this process?  Is a 3rd party product (such as Norton Ghost) recommended?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    T530 Laptop specs:
    Processor
    Intel Core i7-3720QM Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)
    Operating system
    Genuine Windows 7 Professional (64 bit)
    Operating system language
    Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 - English
    Windows XP Mode
    Windows 7 XP Mode - English
    Display type
    15.6" HD (1366 x 768) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
    System graphics
    NVIDIA NVS 5400M Graphics with Optimus Technology, 1GB DDR3 Memory
    Total memory
    4 GB PC3-12800 DDR3 (1 DIMM)
    Keyboard
    Keyboard Backlit - US English
    Pointing device
    UltraNav with Fingerprint Reader
    Camera
    720p HD Camera with Microphone
    Hard drive
    500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
    Micro hard drive (mSATA)
    16GB mSATA Solid State Cache Drive
    Optical device
    DVD Recordable
    System expansion slots
    Express Card Slot & 4-in-1 Card Reader
    Battery
    9 Cell Li-Ion TWL 70++
    Power cord
    135W AC Adapter - US (2pin)
    Integrated WiFi wireless LAN adapters
    Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN
    Integrated mobile broadband
    Mobile Broadband upgradable

+1 for Acronis.  You _can_ also do this with Rescue and Recovery, but it's quite a bit slower in my experience.
    Pull a full drive image onto bootable media, then restore to the other drives when they are installed in the target machines.
    [edit] Or boot Acronis stand-alone on each machine and clone from the original drive in an external enclosure/adapter.  The options re resizing and preservation of volume ID (probably not what you want) are somewhat different when cloning vs restoring.
    Historically, there have been cloning problems with ThinkPads when the target drive wasn't actually installed when it was written.  Something to do with the way BIOS addresses the drives.  This may not be a problem with newer machines, but ti's generally recommended.
    Z.
    The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.  The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog
    English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество

Maybe you are looking for