Warning - Installing Windows 7 on a T61

I have 2 - T61's that came with Windows Vista Ultimate.  As an "early adopter" I went out and purchased a Windows 7 (Home Premium) Family Pack which allows you to install Windows 7 on up to 3 computers.
You cannot install it over Windows Vista Ultimate!!!  If  you back up your files and format the hard drive you find that the product key is invalid.   I spent 3 hours on the phone with Microsoft  Support trying to explain that I didn't need to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate.  I only needed the function in the Home Premium version.  I got nowhere.
So, right now I am considering downgrading Vista Ultimate to XP and then upgrading to Windows 7 from there.  I just need to find a cheap copy of XP for my 2 T61's.
If anyone has a better idea let me know.
Fred
T-61 7664-17U

You can upgrade from any version of XP or Vista to any version of Windows 7.
ALL upgrade paths support "Custom" (or "clean") installs, which wipe out your files, settings, and programs.
Some upgrade paths also support "In-place" installs, which preserve your files, settings, and programs.
Here's a chart showing which upgrade paths support "in-place" installs:
http://mossblog.allthingsd.com/files/2009/08/windows-upgrade-chart.png
I do clean install upgrades, and almost never do in-place install upgrades. A new OS is a great opportunity to refresh a system. It's a bit like dental plaque - that junk accumulates no matter how well you clean!
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!

Similar Messages

• Problems after installing Windows 7 Professional on Thinkpad T61

I have an old T61 that had Windows Vista installed. I wanted to use Windows 7 but didn't want to wipe out what I already had (for various reasons). So I bought a new disk drive and did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional. The disk drive is a Western Digital Blue Notebook 1TB drive. After installing the drive in the machine, I followed these instructions to install Windows 7: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-74108. I chose to partition the drive into a C: drive (500GB) and a D: drive (431GB). After the install completed, I downloaded all the available Microsoft fixes (this took some time to complete).
    For the Device Driver and Application install, I used the ThinkVantage System Update option. The site indicated that Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 with Service Pack 1 or later was required. I downloaded and installed version 4. There were additional Microsoft fixes for version 4, which I downloaded and installed also. Then I downloaded and installed ThinkVantage System Update 5.03. I then executed System Update and selected all the available updates. They all installed, except for Windows 7 Update Module KB2615763 64bit. This update, after failing, gave the option to install manually but when I click on that option I receive a pop up saying: Installer encountered an error: 0xc8000247. The title of the pop up says Windows Update Standalone Installer.
    I then attempted to install various applications on the machine: FileZilla FTP Client, Google Chrome, Notepad++, PrimoPDF were all installed without problems. When I installed a Cisco VPN Client for 64 bit machines, however, I was knocked off the network. Clicking on the WiFi symbol in the task bar showed that I had only limited connectivity to the network. I tried to do a IPCONFIG /ALL  and neither the WiFi adapter nor the Ethernet LAN adapter showed up in the list. I uninstalled the VPN Client, from the Control Panel, and was immediately able to connect to the network. An IPCONFIG /ALL now showed all the network adapters. I installed/uninstalled the VPN Client several times just to make sure that it was causing the problem of no network connectivity.
    I fgured that there might be updated network adapter drivers available to resolve the problem so I attempted both System Update and Windows Update again. System Update showed nothing available, except Windows 7 Update Module KB2615763 64bit. Windows Update had a message saying "Check for updates for your computer" but when I clicked on "Check for updates" it popped up a message saying "Windows Update cannot check for updates because the service is not running. You may need to restart your machine." I checked and the Windows Update service is running. I stopped and restarted it but received the same message when I tried to check for updates again. I rebooted the machine and tried Windows Update again. Same pop up message.
    I tried the "Fix problems with Windows Update" option in the Control Panel but received a message saying - An error occurred while troubleshooting: A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting. The error details say:
    Package ID: WindowsUpdateDiagnostic
    Path: Unknown
    Error Code: 0x8E5E0247
    Source: Engine
    I tried some of the other troubleshooting options and they all give similar errors - An error occurred while troubleshooting: A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting.
    I then thought it might be a disk drive problem so I tried to do a CHKDSK /F but when the machine reboots the CHKDSK seems to start (there is a message that says it can be interrupted by pressing a key within 10 seconds) then, before the 10 seconds are up, it ends without checking the disk and the machine continues to boot up.
    Has anyone seen any of these problems before? Did I miss something? Could this be related to the disk drive? Or missing device drivers? Bios?
    Any help with this will be appreciated.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

A laptop drive that size is almost certainly an AF drive.  You can check by looking up the model's specs on the vendor's site. You can also use the fsutil command to check the drive's physical sector size and verify that the size isn't getting reported correctly - which is what usually causes the update problem.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982018
    Expand the "Issue 6 Fsutil.exe tool" entry in that link for more info.  The entire KB may also be helpful.
    If my guess is actually the problem you won't have to reinstall Windows 7.  Just update - or roll back  - the driver.  You might first try going to Device Manager, selecting the storage controller, and rolling back to an earlier driver.
    If that works, configure ThinkVantage System Update to not show the offending driver, or this will happen again.  If that doesn't do the job, go to Intel's site and find the latest Matrix Storage Manager or Rapid Storage Technology that is specified for your chipset and operating system.  Or just try the latest and if that doesn't work, try earlier ones.
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductL...
    Here's a local KB addressing this (presumed) issue:  http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-7-Knowledge-Base/Windows-Update-Fails-After-Installing-New-Hard-...
    To repeat, this is a bit of a guess.  It's pretty likely that your storage driver is the culprit.  Either you need one new enough to support the physical size reporting ioctl, or you've been bitten by TVSU "updating" to a buggy driver.  Either way the corrrect driver should fix things.
    Z.
    The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.  The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog
    English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество

• Warning: Don't install Windows 7 64-bit on Older MacBook Pros

I totally hosed my machine by installing Windows 7 64 bit on a MacBook Pro that Apple has not deemed to be okay with running Snow Leopard in 64-bit. I have a Core 2 Due, which is fully 64-bit. Windows 7 64-bit runs perfectly on a MacBook Pro, but Apple's Snow Leopard can only handle 32-bits. Crazy.
    I'm guessing Windows 7 updated the MacBook Pro's EFI to 64 bit, which since my Firmware hasn't been updated, can't recognize or load. Some I'm stuck.
    Does anyone know how to return a 64 bit efi back to its original 32 bit version? I've been forced to reinstall Snow Leopard, hopefully the Disk Image I created will be able to bring back my data, otherwise I'm screwed and really ******.
    Message was edited by: nova

I don't think Windows 7 would normally modify your Guid Partition Table, but Boot Camp
    (particularly the later versions) is rapidly gaining a nasty reputation for hosing partition maps.
    Test Disk might could help:
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
    You will need to boot it in firewire mode (if supported) or from an external clone.
    I hope your disk image is good. Rule of thumb for OS Disk Images:
    Make them sparseimage or sparsebundle, do not compress, and last but not least;
    Make 2 of them. Just some friendly advice.
    I have yet to see anyone repair a defective, compressed, UDIF disk image. I have
    successfully repaired sparse UDSP/UDSB images using either disk utility and/or Disk Warrior
    and/or iPartition or some combination of the three.
    I'm not against disk images, to the contrary, I use them almost exclusively for backup lately.
    I mount them, then place a clone or data on them using Carbon Copy Cloner or Chronosync.
    Of course I only use UDSP/UDSB uncompressed images.
    Kj ♘

• My T61 only have 3GB usable ram, but I have installed Windows 8 pro 64-bit and two of 2GB rams

It was working fine with 4GB ram when it was installed Windows 7 64-bit. Is there any drivers I should download?

Hello,
    Just to verify, when you view System Properties (WinKey+X and select System from the popup menu) it shows a "64-bit operating system, x64-based processor" in the System Type: field?
    Regards,
    Aryeh Goretsky
    I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
    S230u (3347-4HU) • X220 (4286-CTO) • W510 (4318-CTO) • W530 (2441-4R3) • X100e (3508-CTO) • X120e (0596-CTO) • T61p (6459-CTO) • T43p (2678-H7U) • T42 (2378-R4U) • T23 (2648-LU7)
      Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español Русскоязычное Сообщество

• Can I install windows 7 on a potable Hard Drive using boot camp? or any other way to do so?? need help for college please

I need to use windows in order to use Visual C++ for college but I don't have enough space in my internal Hard Drive so I want to install windows 7using boot camp or any other method on a portable hard drive and boot from it.
    Please help I need it as soon as possible for school. Thanks

You can't boot Windows natively except on internal drives.
    You can use a VM and put the VM image (VHD) anywhere any drive you want.
    You are way too low on disk space, seriously so. And no room - even Windows and Mac OS should be warning and balking already.
    "emulator" is an old-school term, even true, running a Guest OS under Mac's as a virtual machine, shared resources (RAM, processor) is easier but not the same performance level as running natively.
    Comparison of VMware Fusion Parallels VirtualBox
    This just posted, an FAQ for Lion and Boot Camp 4.0
    Boot Camp 4.0, OS X Lion: Frequently asked questions

• Cannot Install Windows 7

I have an Early 2008 MacBook Pro with 10.9.3 installed, that I have been trying to install Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.  I have worked with several technicians from Apple but have not been able to resolve the issue.  I have worked on this on and off for several months and of course am somewhat frustrated.  I will give a detailed account hoping someone may have an idea.
    I did previously have Windows 7 installed on this laptop but decided to reinstall after upgrading to 250GB SSD and installing memory up to 4GB.  I have confirmed with mfg of the SSD that the drive is compatible with both windows and mac and that there should be no problem with the configuration I am attempting.
    I run the bootcamp assistant and select both "Download Windows Support Files" and "Install Windows" options.  The assistant downloads the files to a USB drive.  I set the partition to split equally.  I get a warning that the USB is bootable and the assistant needs to disable that to continue.  I click ok and then continue with the install.  The laptop reboots to the Windows installation media, which is original purchased media, not a burned copy.  The installation says that it cannot be installed on the BOOTCAMP partition because it needs to be installed on an NTFS partition, so I choose advanced, and format the partion.  The installation then continues.  The installation finishes and says that it needs to reboot. 
    This is when I have an issue.  The laptop reboots to a blank grey screen and thats it.  No further progress.  I have manually rebooted it several times and always get blank grey screen.  If I use option key to load boot manager I get the following options.  Machintosh OS, Windows OS, 10.9.2 Recovery, Windows (DVD), or EFI Boot.  Any selection other than Machintosh OS simply hangs.  The cursor is no longer movable and the boot manager is still displayed.  If I select Mac OS, it will boot back into OSX.
    In OSX, I am able to examine the bootcamp volume (now named Untitled after having to format).  The disk does contain Windows files ($WINDOWS.~BT, $WINDOWS.~LS, Perflogs, Program Files, Program Files (x86), Users, and Windows) so it would appear that the installation did proceed and copied files to the drive.
    I have attempted the install with both Windows 7 Pro 32bit and 64bit and both have the same problem.  I have even gone so far as to reinstall OSX back to 10.7 and run bootcamp from there, still have the same issue.  I have even tried reinstalling on my old original hard drive to see if SSD was the issue, run into the same problem on original drive as well.
    It seems no matter what I have tried, after the windows install I can not get past blank grey screen when trying to boot to windows.
    I am open to any and all suggestions.  Has anyone out there seen issues like this before?  Any ideas on how to correct?  I would love to have my bootcamp set back up.  Thanks!

Amilixkan, thank you for your suggestion although it sounds complicated and I can't believe that everyone would have to go through that process in order to get Windows running on a brand new Mac that has the latest version of Bootcamp and the support software. As with mjm50322's situation, I never even got to the Windows installer phase of the process so of course can't even boot Windows to try your suggestion.
    However, in my specific situation, I'm wondering if, after creating the partition and restarting, my computer can't see my external optical drive even though it does show up in Finder when booted to OSX. After the restart, when I got the black screen with the blinking cursor, there was absolutely no activity on my external drive. I could feel the disc inside was spinning but there was no activity on the read LED on the drive and of course nothing happened on screen. So, your suggestion of using two USB drives, one with the Windows ISO file and the other for the Bootcamp software support files may be a good solution that I will try. That way I'm not relying on the optical drive. While on the phone with a senior Apple Support tech yesterday I already reverted my drive back to a single partition for the time being so I will look into repeating the process trying an ISO file instead of my Windows installation disc. I will report back. Thank you, 

• Can not install Windows 8.1 to a Bitlocker Pre-Provisioned volume

Hello,
    I'll come straight to the point. What I'm trying to do is to install Windows 8.1 Enterprise to a Pre-Provisioned volume but Windows does not let me do that. The steps I've performed are.
    With Microsoft ADK I created me a WinPE media which has the components installed to get the manage-bde command working. I used the article hxxp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824926.aspx for that.
    I prepared an USB stick with the manage-bde components on it and booted my test laptop with it.
    Started diskpart and used commens in order to get a new clean partition:
    Select Disk 0
    clean
    Create Partition Primary
    Format fs=ntfs quick
    Assign letter=c
    exit
    After that I pre-provisioned the volume with the command:
    manage-bde -on -used c:
    When I check with manage-bde -status it states that:
    Conversion Status: Used Space Only encrypted
    Percentage: 100
    Protection Status: Protection Off
    Lock Status: Unlocked
    Identification Field: Unknown
    Automatic Unlock: Disabled
    Key Protectors: None Found
    OK. After that I use the net use command to map a network share with the Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise installation media itself. I execute setup.exe without any parameters.
    I can navigate all the way through the dialog "Where do you want to install Windows?". I can see there now "Drive0Partition 1" with a Total size of 119.2 GB and almost as many free space BUT when I select it and click next there comes
    only a warning dialog saying:
    We couldn't not create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files."
    The best description of the problem I've found from the file x:\windows\panther\setupact.log where are lines like:
    BLOCKING reason for disk 0 offset bla bla is either "The partition is too small" (????) or "Bitlocker Drive Encyption is enabled on the selected partition".
    What I am missing here? Is there a special trick how to get Windows installed on a pre-provisioned drive? I also loaded the correct driver for the disk controller but no help. As soon as I clean the disk and create the partition new without pre-provisioning
    I can install Windows without any problems.
    Sorry for the long text. Hope someone of you has an idea.
    Regards
    Robert

We couldn't not create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files."
    The best description of the problem I've found from the file x:\windows\panther\setupact.log where are lines like:
    BLOCKING reason for disk 0 offset bla bla is either "The partition is too small" (????) or "Bitlocker Drive Encyption is enabled on the selected partition".
    Hi,
    For this issue,when you assign letter,you need to mark a partition as active.
    Using a command line
    1.Open Command Prompt.
    2.Type: diskpart
    3.At the DISKPART prompt, type: list partition
    Make note of the number of the partition that you want to mark as active.
    4.At the DISKPART prompt, type: select partitionn
    Select the partition, n, you want to mark as active.
    5.At the DISKPART prompt, type:
    active
    Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Kelvin Xu
    TechNet Community Support

• Can I still restore back to Windows 7 after installing Windows 10?

I have a C (windows and programs) partition, and a D partition for files. In the Administrative Tools/Computer Management window, I have a small 1.5 gig partition that doesn't have a letter, that is marked as Healthy, Active, Recovery partition.
    If I install Windows 10 onto my C partition, and find that I don't like it, can I use this recovery partition to restore the laptop to Windows 7? If not, is there some other way to bring back 7 if I don't like 10?
    I am having some problems with the laptop, and after 4 years would just like to reinstall the OS. Then I thought it might be neat to experiment with 10, and I'll do that if I can easily bring back 7 if I need to.
    Toshiba Satellite L755D-S5218
    AMD A6-3400M Quad-Core CPU
    8 gigs RAM
    Windows 7
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Use the Toshiba recovery media creator
    Your support page is here - http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=3093575
    Your user guide is here - http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=3116945&isFromTOCLink=false
    Your user guide shows you how to make and use the recovery media starting around page 74 and see below from your user guide.
    When you create recovery DVDs/media, the system will prompt
    you to insert several blank DVDs or connect one or more USB flash
    drives of a certain minimum capacity to your computer. The amount
    of space required for storing the recovery files varies by computer
    model. Follow the procedure below to determine how much space
    you will need for storing your system’s recovery files.
    To create recovery DVDs/media:
    1 Click Start, All Programs, My Toshiba, and then Recovery
    Media Creator.
    The TOSHIBA Recovery Media Creator dialog box displays.
    (Sample Image) TOSHIBA Recovery Media Creator dialog box
    2 Select DVD or USB Flash from the drop-down list next to
    “System Recovery Media,” depending on the type of external
    media you want to use.
    3 Check the Information area of the dialog box to determine the
    number of DVDs you will need and/or the minimum amount of
    storage space required for copying your system’s recovery files
    to USB flash drive(s).
    NOTE
    76 Getting Started
    Recovering the Internal Storage Drive
    4 Do one of the following:
    ❖ If you are copying files to DVD, insert a blank DVD into
    the optical disc drive.
    ❖ If you are copying files to a USB flash drive, connect a
    USB flash drive of the required minimum capacity (as
    specified in the TOSHIBA Recovery Media Creator
    utility) to your computer.
    All information stored on your DVDs or USB flash drive(s) will be
    erased during the process of creating the recovery DVDs/media. Be
    sure to save the information stored on your external media to another
    storage device before executing this procedure, or use blank media.
    5 Click the Create button in the TOSHIBA Recovery Media
    Creator utility dialog box.
    6 Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the copy process.
    If you are copying the recovery files to DVDs, be sure to label each
    DVD in the set sequentially (for example, “1 of 3,” “2 of 3,” etc.), so
    that you will know in which order to insert the discs during recovery.
    For information on using the Recovery media you have created with
    the preceding steps, see “Restoring from recovery DVDs/media” on
    page 76.
    Restoring from recovery DVDs/media
    The recovery process deletes information stored on the internal
    storage drive. Be sure to save your work to external media before
    executing the recovery (see “Backing up your work” on page 112).
    During the internal storage drive recovery process it is strongly
    recommended that your computer be connected to an external power
    source via the AC adaptor.
    If you have created recovery DVDs/media for your system, you can
    restore your system from such media, if necessary. For example, if
    your original internal storage drive fails, you can restore your
    system to a new internal storage drive from your recovery
    DVDs/media. For instructions on creating recovery DVDs/media,
    see “Creating recovery DVDs/media” on page 74.
    NOTE
    NOTE
    Getting Started 77
    Recovering the Internal Storage Drive
    With recovery media, you can:
    ❖ Recover to out-of-box state (recommended recovery method)
    ❖ Recovery of factory default software with user’s data
    ❖ Recover without changing the internal storage drive partitions
    ❖ Recover to a custom size partition
    For more information on these options, see “Recovering the
    Internal Storage Drive” on page 62.
    When you restore your system, only the operating system files,
    applications, and drivers originally shipped with the computer are
    restored. Any files that you created are not restored during this
    process. Be sure to separately save the files you have created to
    external media using Windows® Backup or another backup program.
    For more information, see “Backing up your work” on page 112.
    To recover your internal storage drive from recovery DVDs/media:
    1 Make sure your computer is turned off.
    2 Do one of the following:
    ❖ If your recovery files are on DVDs, insert the first recovery
    DVD into your optical disc drive.
    ❖ If your recovery files are on a USB flash drive, connect the
    USB flash drive to your computer.
    3 Turn on your computer. When the initial TOSHIBA screen
    displays, press the F12 key on your keyboard.
    The boot menu displays.
    4 Using the arrow keys, select the DVD option or the USB Flash
    option, depending on which type of media you are using, and
    then press the Enter key.
    5 A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is
    executed all data on your internal storage drive will be deleted
    and rewritten unless the “Recovery of Factory Default
    Software with user’s data” option is selected. Click Yes to
    continue.
    6 When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens and the “Selecting a
    process” screen displays, select Recovery of Factory Default
    Software, and then click Next.
    NOTE
    78 Getting Started
    Erasing the Internal Storage Drive
    7 Select one of the following options:
    ❖ Recover to out-of-box state (recommended recovery
    method)—If you want to recover the original factory
    ❖ Recovery of factory default software with user’s data—If
    you want to the recovery the factory default software, while the
    computer attempts to back up all data from C:\Users
    ❖ Recover without changing the hard drive partitions—If
    you want to recover the C: partition only, leaving other
    partitions you have created intact
    ❖ Recover to a custom size partition—If you want to
    recover the C: drive to its out-of-box state and specify a
    custom size for the C: drive. Note: This option deletes all
    other partitions from the drive.
    8 Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the recovery
    process.
    When the recovery process is complete, a message displays
    indicating that the drive has been recovered.
    9 Click Finish to restart the computer.
    S70-ABT2N22 Windows 7 Pro & 8.1Pro, C55-A5180 Windows 8.1****Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!****

• [TUTORIAL] GE70 2OE Installing Windows 7 (OS CHANGE)

Hello Forum,
    Here is my very first post on this forum... but I wanted to share my experience with switching OS on the new GE70 2OE-015NL (as the product name says, I'm from The Netherlands  )
    I bought my GE70 and immidiately wanted to switch my OS to Windows 7... I owned a Dell Vostro 1700 Series and OS switches were never a problem on that notebook... as soon as i started with the OS change I ran into some problems that were difficult for me to fix (I'm not an expert) There were almost no tutorials to find about this, but I managed to fix it! 
    Before I figured out what to do, I called MSI Support so they could tell me if I could safely remove the BIOS_RVY partition etc. but as soon as I got someone on the phone and I told him that I already deleted the Windows 8 partitions and didn't get Windows 7 to install he began shouting that MSI doesn't support OS changes and that I had to send an email to their tech support so they could decide later on if they would help me or not.... I didn't ask for anything, I only wanted to know if I fkd up my new Notebook or that it would be repairable... a BIG  for the MSI Tech Support! After I called I immidiately googled if it was safe to delete the BIOS_RVY partition but there were no such forum posts that I could find.. Therefore I decided to make this post!
    REMINDER: this tutorial is for those that find it difficult or are scared to change their OS without knowing what's going to happen.. I had to figure this all out on my own and therefore I want to help other people with similar problems! So maybe it's a bit noob for this forum I don't know.. but please don't hate because of that! ^^
    WARNING: THE INSTALLED OS MUST BE A 64-BIT VERSION, ALSO I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU CAUSE TO YOUR NOTEBOOK/NETBOOK!
    It is also recommended that you download all the drivers for Windows x64 before you install Windows because the network card won't work because of a lack of drivers so you need a second PC with a USB or you download them before the OS switch and put them on a USB.
    Step 1: Make a bootable DVD/USB with Windows 7 x64 ISO on it, this can be done with Rufus for USB Flash Drives or PowerISO for DVD's! (I'm sorry I'm not allowed to post external links so you will have to google it  )
    Step 2: Restart the PC and when the text MSI pops up you press the DEL (numpad " . " key) and you will get into the BIOS Menu
    Step 3: Go to the BOOT tab and select Boot Mode (or something similar) and change the Boot Mode from UEFI to Legacy
    Step 4: Now you're Windows USB/DVD should be bootable (Microsoft says that Windows 7 supports UEFI Boot but I tried using multiple ISO's on different USB's and DVD's with different write speeds etc. but I didn't get Windows 7 Setup to boot beyond the 'Starting Windows' screen)
    Step 5: When Windows 7 Setup is Booted select your country settings and time format and don't select the Upgrade option but the Custom (advanced) option to install Windows 7.
    Now it's getting a bit difficult for most of us... Windows 7 Booted in a Legacy Boot Mode does not support GPT (Guid Partition Table) Disks, those can only be writed upon in UEFI mode. So now we need to change the Disk Partition Table to MBR (Master Boot Record). When you're at the partition menu, format and delete all partitions (yes don't worry you can safely delete all the partitions (when deleting the BIOS_RVY partition the F3 Hotkey function won't work anymore but we don't want that because it will recover Windows 8 but we hate that OS.. that's why we want to change to Windows 7!)
    Step 6: Now that all the partitions are deleted on the disk, we can openup CMD this can be done by pressing SHIFT+ F10 in the partition menu of the Windows 7 Setup.
    Now type the following commands:
    Diskpart
    List Disk
    Select Disk # (probably 0, because the most notebooks only have 1 HDD)
    Convert MBR
    Now your HDD is converted to a MBR Partition Table
    Step 7: Make a new partition (or more, depends on how much storage you have and want on your C:\ partition, Windows will automatically make some System partition(s))
    Step 8: Select the partition on which you want to install Windows 7 and let it install! the MSI GE70 2OE supports Windows 7 x64 so all the drivers for that OS can be downloaded at the MSI website, product info (GE70 2OE) and then downloads -> Drivers.
    Step 9: Install all the drivers and you're ready to go!
    I hope I helped you with this problem, for me it was kinda hard to figure out that you could safely delete all the partitions on the disk without screwing up your PC.. So I hope I gave you some confidence with doing so after reading this tutorial!

Quote from: CanesBridge on 06-August-13, 00:02:42
    Hey man
    I did this on the new msi ge60 2oc 014ne, which should be pretty much the same. Almost everything seems fine now except for two things.. I still cant det the wireless network adapter working, even though the ethernet works and Ive installed all drivers i could find. Do you have any idea what to do?
    Second thing, in the Windows experience index, it gives my graphics card the grade 5.1, but it should be around 7. I installed the nvidia driver and all, so it doesn't really make sense to me... Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Oh yeah, and the big foot boot agent message that shows up every time i boot the machine, i cant make it go away... I click shift + f10, clicks disable message and f4 for save and quit.. But it shows up again nemt time i boot... An annoying useless waste of time..
    I guess it's pretty much the same indeed, do you have installed the Windows 7 x64 drivers for your wireless adapter or tried to install the Windows 8 ones? That could be the problem? If that's not the case and your ethernet is working, try checking for windows updates and see if it automatically installs the drivers for you? Make sure you installed the AzureWave Wireless LAN-NB114H driver that is available for your PC for Win7 x64, that driver as the name suggests is for wireless connection. Killer Bigfoot LAN is just for boosting your card so it's faster over LAN but the AzureWave makes the wireless connection available.. It worked for me so it should work for you?
    If you did this all, try reinstalling it.. If that doesn't work, try formatting al partitions again en reinstall Windows 7 and start with a clean install...
    About the videocard rate.. If your having problems with low FPS during gaming (maybe lower than normal) make sure you have installed the MSI driver for your graphic card (don't download it from the NVidia website) If you don't know, you can find all drivers for your device on the MSI website, Products -> Notebooks -> Gaming Series -> GE60 2OC -> Downloads
    If the lower rate of the video card didn't cause low FPS I wouldn't worry too much if I were you 
    Oh, and about the Bigfoot Boot Manager.. I have the exact same thing.. I'm still figuring out how to get rid of it, but for now I went into the configure mode and set the message to disabled and the message time to 1 second (so that 1 second extra boot time isn't that bad..) If I found a solution to get rid of it I will let you know!
    Hope I helped you, if not feel free to reply and ask again! We will figure it out together, or with help from someone else on this forum! 

• Error 0x80300024 When Installing Windows 7 Using Bootcamp

Hi.  I'm trying to install windows on my mac mini.  I have a 2010 mini server with dual 500gb hard drives.  I want to have one disc for apple and the other disc for windows.  When I try the install I get the windows error 0x80300024.  After some research I found a straightforward, but not easy solution.  It seems windows freaks out when it sees more than one physical hard drive.  Therefore the solution is to disconnect the cables for the other hard drive, install windows on the target drive, then reconnect the cables to the other drive.  I rather not tear open the mini and do this as it looks a little painful.  Anyone have a suggestion on how to get around this?  And yes, I know it's a windows issue but i figured there must be some mini users who've experienced this issue.
    Thanks.
    Craig

Hi Graig,
    One possble solution here, with maybe alt key to boot your Windows installer instead of the c key...
    PrincessPeachJun 17, 2009, 06:48 PM
    I just installed it today (twice actually, after changing my mind about something) so I can tell you how to do it. What I did was completely ignore Boot Camp and used Disk Utility to format the intended Windows drive as FAT32/Master Boot Record. Then I just rebooted with C held down and the Windows 7 CD took care of the rest.
    I have a 2009 Mac Pro so all my drivers etc were on my OS disc. If you need to burn the drivers, by all means use Boot Camp just for that part
    I got a warning in Windows 7 that Boot Camp had issues with the RC but it has been rock solid so far.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-722467.html

• Problems installing Windows 7 from a USB stick

I have got a brand new W510 that i am doing a clean install of Windows 7.
    However i have faced major problems with installing from a USB stick attached to the W510.
    Please notice that there isn't any problem installing Windows 7 to my other PC from this USB stick, this problem is only present with W510.
    I have the BIOS from Lenovo v 1.35, Bios settting are reset to default to isolate any faulty settings.
    In the readme file the say they have fixed some USB detection problems by Windows. bug still present??
    Version 1.35 (BIOS ID: 6LET74WW) [for BIOS ID 6Lxxxxxx-based computer]
     [Problem fixes]
    - Fix an issue that a USB device is not recognized by Windows connecting
    to USB 3.0 port.
    Below is picture of the problem.
    First i choose to boot from my USB Stick Sandisk Cruzer which Windows 7 files are placed, i know these files and the USB stick works with my other computer.
    Picture 1
    Next step when it boots
    Picture 2
    I press Install Now
    Picture 3
    This warning message comes up, can't find driver device
    Picture 4
    I click browse and try to find my USB stick, none of my USB sticks are listed, is this a Lenovo BIOS bug or Windows 7 Installation detection problem??
    Picture 5

I think you need to fix your links, you seem to have maybe copied the post from another board / forum, the link style you have inserted doesn't work here.
    Andy  ______________________________________
    Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points
    Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.
      Deutsche Community     Comunidad en Español    English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество
    PepperonI blog 

• How to install Windows 7 Pro 64bit from a Retail DVD

Good afternoon
    I have got a Lenovo X201 which unfortunately cannot locate a recovery disc
    I mtherefore purchased a retail version of Win7 Pro 64 bit and put into my external DVD player to install
    I changed the boot option to look at the wxternal dvd and it start to work but when i get to aprox the screen saying copying files the computer shuts off
    Do you know how i can get round this issue of installing Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
    I even tried downloading the Lenovo Windows 7 Pro 64 bit iso and the same result
    Many thanks

The X201 does not have UEFI bios.
    ThinkPad W540 (20BG) - i7-4800MQ/24GB // ThinkPad T440s (20AQ) - i7-4600U/12GB
    ThinkPad T440p (20AW) - i7-4800MQ/16GB // ThinkPad Helix (3698-6EU) - i5-3337U/4GB
    ThinkPad W520 (4282-W4Q) - i7-2720QM/32GB // ThinkPad T400 (2767-W1C) - P9500/8GB
    ThinkPad T61 (7665-CTO) - T7700/4GB // ThinkPad T60p (8741-C2G) - T7400/4GB

• Stuck trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate on X120e (Help please)

I just got my x120e yesterday and it came loaded with Windows 7 Home Premium. Since my college offers free Windows 7 Ultimate I decided I would go ahead and install that, plus since I bought the computer used I figured that would be a good clean start. So I downloaded the software and used the windows tool to put the .iso file onto a thumb drive.
    When booting the x120e with my thumbdrive inserted it goes into the windows installation guide. The problem starts where it asks how I want to do the install, Upgrade or Custom. From the directions online and using google it seems I am suppose to select 'Custom' install. Then it asks where I want to install windows: Disk 0, Partition 1(system_drv); Disk 0, Partition 2; Disk 0, Partition 3(lenovo_recovery). When you highlight Disk 0 Partition 1 or 3 it says 'Windows cannot be installed to ...'. Disk 0 Partition 2 includes the bulk of the storage size, but when I highlight that one and click 'next' it comes up and says 'Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the setup log files for more information'. Also, I am unable to find anything called 'setup log' to get more information.
    * I did format the Disk 0 Partition 2 after it didn't work the first time
    I decided from googling that maybe I needed to add a hard drive driver in order for it to work. So I went to the Lenovo driver page on my other computer and put that on the thumb drive and loaded the driver in the windows install wizard. This had no effect though and the problem is still there.
    Given I've never loaded an OS before so I'm relying on online instructions and google. I have literally spent close to the last four hours working on trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate onto the x120e and am going to get some sleep and try again I guess.
    * I haven't changed the hard drive or anything, this is using the original 250gb hard drive it came with
    UPDATE: after getting a reply to this question on another forum, they said  "Delete all the existing partitions you see. Start the install on the unformatted partition. You will lose your recovery partition (the lenovo setup with Win 7 Home Premium)."
    So I did that and now the only line that shows up is Disk 0 Unallocated Space, 232.9GB.  However when I click Next the same warning appears as before "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition...".  Additionally the options of Delete and Format are no longer there, only Refresh, New, and Load Driver.  Any more help on what to do? thanks

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/TVSU-UPDATE.html
    This program will download everything you need automatically.

• Unable to install Windows 7 RC x64 on macbook 2.2

hi
    im unable to install windows 7 x64 rc on my macbook. i have a macbook 2.2 (white)
    after creating the partion using boot camp my comp restarts and gets stuck on a black screen that says
    choose CD-ROM boot type :
    thats it.. nothing more.. jst a blinking cursor.
    any idea wat the error is.
    1. can my macbook 2.2 (white) run x64?
    2. i have downloaded a patch for bootcamp (bootcampx64.msi) , wat do i do with it?
    3. what should i do next?

http://jowie.com/blog/post/2008/02/24/Select-CD-ROM-Boot-Type-prompt-while-tryin g-to-boot-from-Vista-x64-DVD-burnt-from-iso-file.aspx
    Read carefuly that article. It describes step by step how-to modify Windows 7 64x RC DVD image to boot smoothly on any Mac. Be sure to creat 8 sector disk instead of 4
    Thanks to Jowie I was able to install Windows 7 64x on my early Aluminium iMac.
    PS: Be sure to download Boot Camp version 2.1.1 and modify it so setup will run without errors. I can't hel you with direct links but I can at least warn you. Have fun and good luck

• Installing Windows XP to Thinkpad X41 (Not Tablet)

Alright so I got a used IBM Thinkpad X41 from my uncle which had windows xp installed on it. He asked me to reformat it so his companys information and other data would be fully erased.
    Some specs on the X41:
    Does not have CD/DVD Drive so I can't install windows that way.
    Does have USB slots, so I think that will be the only way to install (correct me if I am wrong). 
    Me being a complete newbie, I full erased the hard drive (so there is no OS). The laptop still turns on but when i let it run it says:
    Media Test Failure, Check Cable
    Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM
    Operating System Not Found
    Luckily the Bios still works and I can access it but there is nothing I can do to restore it back to factory state or recover.
    The Bios does detect my usb drive and I have placed that in the number one spot for boot order.
    If there is anyway I can get an OS installed onto my pc I would be grateful. Note I don't need to install XP on the first install, If installing windows 98 or 95 will be faster and easier we can do that.
    I can take it from there as all I will need is the xp install files which i have copied from my cd to my computers share folders.
    Thanks again hopefully there is a solution to my problem, I'd really like to have this laptop for school as im going into grade 12.

Welcome to the forum!
    Fastest and probably least painful way around this is to buy or borrow a USB CD-ROM and take it from there...
    Good luck.
    Cheers,
    George
    In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
    Collecting dust: T60
    Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
    Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
    Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

Maybe you are looking for

• RoboHelp not able to generate PDF document properly

Hello, I have RoboHelp for Word V9.0.2 and when I want to generate a PDF file, I've got many topics named 'No Data', and some of the parts only of my document has been computed. What am I supposed to do to have a clean source file in order for the PD

• File formats for RBS in sharepoint 2013?

I have configured RBS with the threshhold of 1mb,i was expecting that all the videos,images greater than 1mb would go into blob storage but they are getting stored in content db,zip files greater than 1mb are getting stored in blob storage.I went thr

• Managed Bean in Task Form

Hi!Oracle Fusion Middleware 11.1.1.5.0, Oracle JDeveloper 11g. I post this thread in this section because of the type of project I am working in (SOA Application). I am trying to customize a BPEL Task Form. After I made a project using Fusion Web App

• Integrated OC4J cannot show current workspace's datasources

JDEV 10.1.2 When I try to view the integrated/embedded OC4J with JDEV's "current workspace"'s data sources, I receive the following: java.lang.NullPointerException      at oracle.jdevimpl.xml.oc4j.ds.DataSourcesPanel.onEntry(DataSourcesPanel.java:140

• My screen freezes and begins turning white.

Can anyone help?