What's the *minimum* i need to reinstall my T61?

I'm going to reinstall my T61 with a vanilla version of xp and plan to install the minimum required downloads from lenovo.
Please, lenovo, could you identify what these are?
- Specifically, do I need to install any special drivers for this laptop?
- The only user-level features I want are the blue function keys and the trackpad. I can happily live without the fingerprint reader, "thinkvantage" button etc
thanks,
graham.
ps - the reason I want a vanilla install is:
- I'm fed up of the slow startup and ridiculous number of processes running on this machine; it's the fastest machine i own, and the slowest to login and logout.
- i can't get wireless connectivity to work properly - "access connections" seems to be obstructing the connection being made: if I choose "set up in xp" it doesn't let me close the relevant dialogs; if I try to set up the connection details within "access connections" it doesn't appear to support WPA2-PSK.
- if i disable "access connections" the machine BSODs every so often; not necessarily due to lenovo software, but it would be good to remove one of the possible variables (and "access connections" provides no functionality i need anyway)
- perhaps i need an update of lenovo software - but "check for updates" fails with "can't get user data"

Hi Grhm,
Its a shame to hear you are having issues with the think vantage software. I my self have never had any issues with it from my T41, T43p, T60, and X61t. lol
If you want to do a clean install i would recomend after the install is complete downloading the "System Update" program from the Think Vantage collection. This software will then identifi what drivers need to be downlaoded and installed. It should not how ever download any other TVT programs.
Once the program has downloaded and isntalled all the necessary drivers you can then uninstall the "System Update" program.
Just a note the WPA2 is AES based and not supported on certian wireless cards so it could be that your wireless card doesnt support that. It might also be that you need to be running XPSP3 for windows to be able to use that function.
Before going down the reinstall route I would disable as many startup programs as necessary, update the wireless drivers and reinstall access connections.
Hope This Helps.
Peter.

Similar Messages

• What are the minimum files needed?

Under Windoz, can I simply copy the JAVA.EXE, the JAR files and the DLLs to a subdir (along with my CLASS file) and run my app? If not, then what would be the minimum required to do so? I'm trying to get away with not running the JRE install.
    If there is a URL that you can simply point me to, that would be great.
    TIA.

I think I doled out those Duke Dollars too quickly. I put everything in a subdir called C:\AJAVATEST (EXEs, DLLs, JARs, IDLs...) and tried to run and received the following message:
    Failed reading value of registry key:
    Software\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\CurrentVersion
    I'm guessing that the Windows version DOES use the registry. That's disappointing.
    Just so everyone will know (including Sun!), I'm not trying to circumvent the JRE Licensing scheme, I'm trying to test on a remote box that I would rather not run an installation on (semi-production box). The remote box does not have the JRE installed on it.

• How can I determine what is the minimum SCN number I need to restore up to.

Say if I have a full database backup, I know I have file inconsistency, but I want to know what is the minimum time or SCN number a need to roll forward to in order to be able to open the database?
    For example: I do a database restore.
    restore database ;
    RMAN> sql 'alter database open read only';
    sql statement: alter database open read only
    RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
    RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
    RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
    RMAN-03009: failure of sql command on default channel at 03/16/2009 15:00:04
    RMAN-11003: failure during parse/execution of SQL statement: alter database open read only
    ORA-16004: backup database requires recovery
    ORA-01194: file 1 needs more recovery to be consistent
    ORA-01110: data file 1: '/u01/oradata/p1/system01.dbf'
    I need need to apply archive log files. All references I find for ORA-00194 state the solution is to "apply more logs until the file is consistent " But "HOW MANY LOGS", or more apporaite up to what time or SCN? How does one determine what TIME or SCN is required to get all file consistent?
    I thought this query might provide the answer, but it doesn't
    select max(checkpoint_change#)
    from v$datafile_header
    MAX(CHECKPOINT_CHANGE#)
    --It applies a bit more redo, but not enough to make my datafiles consistent.
    recover database until SCN=7985876903 ;
    Starting recover at 03/16/09 15:04:54
    using channel ORA_DISK_1
    using channel ORA_DISK_2
    using channel ORA_DISK_3
    using channel ORA_DISK_4
    using channel ORA_DISK_5
    using channel ORA_DISK_6
    using channel ORA_DISK_7
    using channel ORA_DISK_8
    starting media recovery
    channel ORA_DISK_1: starting archive log restore to default destination
    channel ORA_DISK_1: restoring archive log
    archive log thread=1 sequence=18436
    channel ORA_DISK_1: reading from backup piece /temp-oracle/backup/hot/p1/20090315/hourly.arch_P1_47353_681538638_1
    channel ORA_DISK_1: restored backup piece 1
    piece handle=/temp-oracle/backup/hot/p1/20090315/hourly.arch_P1_47353_681538638_1 tag=TAG20090315T041716
    channel ORA_DISK_1: restore complete, elapsed time: 00:02:26
    archive log filename=/u01/app/oracle/flash_recovery_area/P1/archivelog/2009_03_16/o1_mf_1_18436_4vxd81yc_.arc thread=1 se quence=18436
    Oracle Error:
    ORA-01547: warning: RECOVER succeeded but OPEN RESETLOGS would get error below
    ORA-01194: file 1 needs more recovery to be consistent
    ORA-01110: data file 1: '/u01/oradata/p1/system01.dbf'
    I've discover I need to apply archive logs until this query reports all datafiles as FUZZY=NO , but this only works by guessing at some time periord to roll forward to, then checking the FUZZY column, and try again. Is there a way to know, I have to roll forward to a specific SNC in order for all my datafiles to be consistent?
    select file#
         , status
         , checkpoint_change#
         , checkpoint_time
         , FUZZY
         , RECOVER
    ,LAST_DEALLOC_SCN
    from v$datafile_header
    order by checkpoint_time
    Thanks,
    Jason

The minimum point in time is the time when the last backup piece for datafiles in that backup was completed.
    Your alert.log should show the redo log sequence number at that time.
    You can query V$ARCHIVED_LOG and get the FIRST_CHANGE# of the first archivedlog generated after that backup piece completed.
    A
    LIST BACKUP;in RMAN should also show you the SCNs at the time of the backups.
    You can also query SCN_TO_TIMESTAMP -- eg
    select timestamp_to_scn(to_timestamp('15-MAR-09 09:24:01','DD-MON-RR HH24:MI:SS')) from dual;will return an approximation of the SCN.
    Hemant K Chitale
    http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com
    Edited by: Hemant K Chitale on Mar 17, 2009 9:41 AM
    added the LIST BACKUP command from RMAN.

• What is the minimum file system access needed to run ODI 10.1.3.4.0 client?

Hi ODI discussion folks,
    I have a couple of questions from an Oracle partner that I'm trying to find a definitive answer for if possible. The partner is setting up ODI 10.1.3.4.0 for a customer who insists that the absolute minimum amount of access to the file system is granted due to corporate security policies.
    I have checked the bundled ODI documentation but couldn't really find anything about file system permissions needed to run the ODI client. I was pointed towards the "Setting Up Security for an Integration Project — What to Consider" document but this does not mention a great deal about how much access to the file system is needed for the ODI client to function.
    What the partner is asking is the following:
    "1. What are the minimum file/folder permissions needed for the ODI client installation? I'm installing at xxxxx
    and their machines have to be locked down as much as possible.
    2. Say you have 3 users all wanting to run integrations etc and the Master and Work
    repositories have been set up. An admin installs the ODI client but doesn't
    create the connection to the Master repository. What are the minimum
    file/folder permissions required on the client machine to:
    a) create the connection to the repository
    b) run any subsequent integrations?"
    If anyone can advise on this then that would be much appreciated.
    Regards
    Craig Huggans
    Oracle Hyperion Support
    Message was edited by:
    user648991

Hi Craig,
    How are you?
    Let me try to contribute a little....
    1) The minimum requirement is for its own installation directory, there is no reason to have access to other directories unless if it is necessary to read files from some other directory at the client
    2) Again only to its own install directory. The connection setting is recorded at \bin install directory. After that, all information are recorded at repository, there is no client work.
    Be free to contact me by email or phone if you have any new doubt. You can get my email from my profile.
    Does it respond your doubts?
    Cezar Santos

• What are the minimum requirements to successfully Synchronize a SharePoint 2010 Calendar or Task List with Outlook 2010?

What are the minimum requirements to successfully Synchronize a SharePoint 2010 Calendar or Task List with Outlook 2010?
    SharePoint permission levels required for the user profile?
    Does the user need top level permissions on the SharePoint site?
    What other minimum requirements must be met for Outlook 2010 to synchronize successfully with SharePoint 2010?
    TheDrape

Hi,
    To synchronize these libraries and lists, you must have Outlook 2010 installed on your client computer and you must have Collaborate permission to the library or list.
    You don’t need any permissions for the user profile.
    I provide you a link about synchronizing SharePoint 2010 content with Outlook 2010 for your reference:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-foundation-help/synchronize-sharepoint-2010-content-with-outlook-2010-HA101881295.aspx
    Thanks,
    Rock Wang
    Rock Wang TechNet Community Support

• What are the minimum CPU and Memory requirements for R12 Vision instance?

We are in the process of trying to figure out what the minimum hardware requirements are for installing the R12 Vision instance. This Vision instance would only have 5 or less concurrent users. We may have to order a new server and we are wondering what the minimum CPU and memory would be? Oracle Support will not give us this information.
    We aleady know how much disk space it will need.
    Dan

Hi,
    See these links.
    A Primer on Hardware Sizing for Oracle E-Business Suite
    http://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/2010/08/ebs_sizing_primer.html
    What Are the Minimum Desktop Requirements for EBS?
    http://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/2010/09/ebs_pc_clients.html
    Also, please see old threads for similar discussion.
    Hardware Requirements
    http://forums.oracle.com/forums/search.jspa?threadID=&q=Hardware+Requirements&objID=c3&dateRange=all&userID=&numResults=15&rankBy=10001
    Benchmark
    http://forums.oracle.com/forums/search.jspa?threadID=&q=Benchmark&objID=c3&dateRange=all&userID=&numResults=15&rankBy=10001
    Thanks,
    Hussein

• What Are The Minimum Permissions In Order An User To Be Able To Access User Profile Data With JavaScript And REST API

The question says it all:
    What Are The Minimum Permissions In Order An User To Be Able To Access User Profile Data With JavaScript And REST API.?
    In the User Profile -> Permissions there is only the option for "Full Control".

Hi Nikolay,
    Thanks for posting your issue, you need to set permissions on User Profiles = Read. Kindly find the below mentioned URLs to get the code and more details on this.
    http://www.vrdmn.com/2013/02/sharepoint-2013-working-with-user.html
    http://www.vrdmn.com/2013/07/sharepoint-2013-get-userprofile.html
    http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/61714/sharepoint-2013-call-the-rest-api-from-sharepoint-hosted-app
    http://www.dotnetmafia.com/blogs/dotnettipoftheday/archive/2013/04/09/how-to-query-sharepoint-2013-using-rest-and-javascript.aspx
    I hope this is helpful to you, mark it as Helpful.
    If this works, Please mark it as Answered.
    Regards,
    Dharmendra Singh (MCPD-EA | MCTS)
    Blog : http://sharepoint-community.net/profile/DharmendraSingh

• What is the minimum speed Telstra guarantees ADSL 2+ to connect at?

What is the minimum speed Telstra guarantees ADSL 2+ to connect at? I asked a Telstra sales person what the minimum speed was they said the minimum was 8 Mb/s. I asked for that in writing but they could not find it, nor could they find the minimum speed in any documentation. Am I correct in thinking the minimum speed guaranteed by Telstra (for ADSL 2+) is 256 Kb/sec?

Hi jjobrien, Not since the 90s has anyone considered 0.33mbps to be a good speed, so I can understand your frustration with this.  What affects your ADSL speed The speed achieved on ADSL depends on a number of factors, the main one being the cable distance between your premises and the DSLAM. Whirlpool have an article that explains the relationship between distance and speed very well and you can view it here: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/dslam_speeds There are also DSLAMs that are affected by high demand, and lowering the overall speed available to customers. We are working on upgrading these exchanges and as upgrades are planned, these can be viewed here: http://telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/tw-report-backhaul-upgrade.xls The configuration of the equipment and internal wiring of your home can also have a big part to play in speed results. How to check your equipment It is possible that there is a fault within network (and not just a matter of cable length), but to confirm this we ask customers to perform an isolation test. We do this on every call as it can not only resolve or identify the issue sooner for customers, but also prevents an unnecessary technician visit and the possibility of an incorrect call out charge. You have already checked these when you called previously, but to make sure a simple fix hasn't been missed, please take a look at this link for the things we look for:  http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501... In some circumstances, applying a line profile can provide more stability on the network. This next link provides information on how this works and how customers can manage this setting.  This is mainly used for customers experiencing disconnections, however in some cases can also improve speed if the issue is caused by packet loss. https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/adsl-line-profiles [Note: after logging in, some customers will be redirected to My Account and need to perform the following steps to then select Account Services then My BigPond from the menu located at the top right of the page.] If you are connected to your modem via WiFi, then this is also an area where speed can be lost. This WiFi Troubleshooting link may be helpful: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516     If you have confirmed that the above has been done, and you would like for us to assist you further, please provide your contact and account details via the online form that I will send via private message. Please allow up to 5 business days for a response as we respond to each one in the order that it was submitted. - Shelly  Wow. Thanks Shelly. I could all do that, but given I have been onto this issue for years on end, and Telstra have freely admitted that their infrastucture is inadequate of delivery their own quoted minimum speeds, I think you are being completely unreasonable.I can understand that getting cutomers to do your work for you is better for you economically, and that using your own staff and technichians would cut into your profits, reported to be 3.8 Billion last year, I get that, I'm in business too, but we have a contract, you and I, and I'm fulfilling my part of that contract and you are not.My part says that I will pay you. Your part says that you will deliver a service.So as I see it, and I'm not a comercial contract lawyer, perhaps you are, maybe "Ira" from billing is, who knows, but as I see it you have a responsibility to either A: upgrade the service - we both know that is not going to happen, because I have been informed by Telstra directly that no upgrade is scheduled, and I followed the link you sent me to report/backhaul-upgrade.xls to a blank document that I couldn't make sense of, or B: change the contract and charge me far less. I propose that you charge me on a pro rata basis. If you deliver 25% speed, I pay 25% fee. You must understand here, I'm not proposing that upgrade a DSLAM and/or that you dig a trench and lay a fancy new cable to my house just so that I cmay enjoy a first world luxury, Im not saying that. What I am saying is that we have a billing issue.How do you see it?John. 

• What is the minimum permission required to discover the Farms in the Sahrepoint Server?

What is the minimum permission required to discover the Farms in the SahrePoint Server?
    Do I need to have the access to the SharePoint Database?
    I want to do this with help of a 3rd Party API.
    Thanks
    psarroj

Access to SharePoint doesn't necessarily give access to the SharePoint databases.  See Add-SPShellAdmin description.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607596.aspx
    Permissions on the databases themselves is often required when accessing SharePoint information programmatically.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• What is the minimum iOS version that Apple Configurator is supported with?

I have a few very old iPads, not even iPad 2's.  I am considering using Apple Configurator to supervise them.  What is the minimum iOS these iPads need to be at to supervise the ipad

See the chart below to determine whether you can upgrade your device and what you can upgrade to.
    IPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad iOS Compatibility Chart
         Device                                       iOS Verson
    iPhone 1                                      iOS 3.1.3
    iPhone 3G                                   iOS 4.2.1
    iPhone 3GS                                 iOS 6.1
    iPhone 4                                      iOS 6.1
    iPhone 4S                                    iOS 6.1
    iPhone 5                                      iOS 6.1
    iPod Touch 1                               iOS 3.1.3
    iPod Touch 2                               iOS 4.2.1
    iPod Touch 3                               iOS 5.1.1
    iPod Touch 4                               iOS 6.1
    iPod Touch 5                               iOS 6.1
    iPad 1                                          iOS 5.1.1
    iPad 2                                          iOS 6.1
    iPad 3                                          iOS 6.1
    iPad 4                                          iOS 6.1
    iPad Mini                                     iOS 6.1

• What is the minimum permission set required to query alert information using OpsMgr 2012 SDK?

Hi,
    I am using the OpsMgr 2012 SDK to retrieve alert information from SCOM.
    I tried configuring a read-only role for a user account (Group Scope: All, Dashboards & Views: All) but, as I call some of the APIs like Administration.GetAllManagementServers(), Administration.GetAllAgentManagedComputers() etc. I get a UnauthorizedAccessEnterpriseManagementException.
    I need to know what are the minimum permissions required for a user to query alert information and to make calls I mentioned above using the OpsMgr 2012 SDK.
    Warm Regards
    Himanshu Agarwal

Thanks for the reply.
    Just to give you a context, I am writing a client application where a user can fetch alert information from SCOM using OpsMgr 2012 SDK. There could be many users that would use this application, hence I need to know the minimum set of permissions I can grant
    or add them to a group for easy maintenance.
    I believed Read-Only admin role was intended for that purpose but some of the SDK APIs as I mentioned throw the said exception.
    I would like to know, how can i create such role/group from SCOM 2012 console.
    PS: SDK and Config account is used by SCOM to perform DB operations and I would not like to impersonate this account in my client application. Instead I want to make my clients as admins with just enough permissions to read information. I'll have a better
    control this way.

• HT4437 what are the minimum wireless requirements for airplay regards wireless strength ( DBs)

What are the minimum requierments for Apple Airplay? i need to know how strong in BDs the system con operate down to?

It is not a matter of single strength.  That only tells you the amplitude of the radio connections which tells you nothing.  What really matters is the speed of traffic across the connection and the number of dropped/lost packets.  And single strength tells you neither of these.  Interfearance, noise, collisions due to too many WiFi connections in the area impact the connection.  You can have strong single strength and not be able to maintain a connection.

• What is the minimum age to develop an app in the U.K?

what is the minimum age to develop an app in the U.K?

Anyone can develop apps the question is  what age do you need to be to have a Developer account in your name.
    A Developer account requires you to enter into a legal contract with Apple so the age you need to be is the age in your country where you can enter into a contract.
    In that States that is 18, no idea what age it is in the U.K, but it should be easy enough to find out. If you are not old enough you can have your parent or legal guardian set up a Developer account in their name that you use. Once you reach the legal age you can then transfer the account over to yourself.

• What is the minimum permission level that allows users to view draft documents, other peoples' draft documents?

What is the minimum permission level that allows users to view draft documents, other peoples' draft documents?
    Normally a person creates a draft document and when they are ready they publish it and the Approver approves it. However, what if a power user needs to be able to see all draft documents. Not just their own but other peoples'. What is the minimum permission
    level that allows then to do this?
    Cheers,
    Mark
    Learning SharePoint

Hi Mark,
    Per my knowledge, there is no minimum permission level that allow users to view their own and other people’s draft documents.
    This is based on the Draft Item Security setting you choose for your list in Versioning Settings:
    You can follow the detailed steps in the link provided by Avni.
    Best regards.
    Thanks
    Victoria Xia
    TechNet Community Support

• What is the minimum sign up time I can have £10 Everything Pack?

What is the minimum sign up time I can have £10 Everything Pack. I am only going to be in the UK for less than 1 month and can find no informationon how to prevent nonthly deductions continuing. I know I can  not add credit with a non UK credit card but can I open an account from Australia without a UK credit card? And If it can be done how do i do it? Can I get the SIM card sent to Chepstow by Friday 7th August?

Thanks for you very quick reply. Here is my full problem. I want to get a £10 Everything Pack including new SIM card (although another page seems to say £12.99 or something similar) . I am in Australia about to walk for three weeks in the UK. I arrive in Bristol on Saturday afternoon and go straight to our B&B in Chepstow. With a quick internet search I can find no EE dealer in Chepstow. Through your website I was hoping to order an EE SIM and have it delivered to the B&B for me to collect by 7th August. However my identification is needed. Can I email my photocopied ID (passport or driver’s licence) to EE and have someone sign for the SIM at the B&B? Also, can I start an account by phone as I only have an Australian credit card? I do not anticipate needing to top up the account.
    I can find no email contact on your website for such direct enquiries.
    Alternatively, can I get an EE card somewhere in Bristol on a Saturday afternoon? If so, where?

Maybe you are looking for