What SSD Drives are supported on the T420

I am getting a T420 as my new Corporate laptop.   I want to buy an SSD drive to replace the internal hard drive.   I found the newest bios/firmware and looked at the Readme file.  It lists the latest drives and model numbers but not any of the previous models?   How do I get a complete list of all SSD drives/models supported on the T420?  The laptop is going to be imaged with Win7 if that matters.  
Any info is appreciated.  
Solved!
Go to Solution.

Hello and welcome,
Any list of drives you find in the README will be a list of drives supplied by Lenovo, not a generic list of drives that would work.
From the ltwbook ( ThinkPad Notebooks; 2005 to present (withdrawn models) ):
Some: Solid State Drive (SSD) / SATA 3.0Gb/s, 2.5" wide, 7mm high
Some: Hard Disk Drive / SATA 3.0Gb/s, 2.5" wide, 9.5mm high, Active Protection System™
So if you're replacing a hard drive, any 2.5" 9.5mm (or 7mm with adapter) SSD should fit.
Another option you might consider is an mSATA SSD. [edit] If the WWAN/mSATA slot is empty - no WWAN card installed.  I use a 256GB Crucial m4 in my T420.  The HDD is still installed as a data drive and spins down when idle.  It's a nice quiet combo with plenty of storage.  I also keep a backup of the SSD on the HDD.
Z.
The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.  The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog
English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество

Similar Messages

• What trunking protocols are supported by the Cisco AP1200 series

Guys,
    What trunking protocols are supported by the Cisco AP1200 series?
    Advanved thanking for your reply

Has to be a dot1q encapsulation.
    Thanks,
    Scott
    Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

• What SSD drives will work in the GT60 0NE?

I'm about ready to give up on my GT60.  I have purchased two different SSD drives and neither one is recognized in the bios when placed in the first drive slot.  They are recognized in the 2nd drive slot, but not the first.  I've updated everything, bios and firmware.  Will someone tell me what model and brand SSD drive will work int the GT60?  When the operating system is install in the second drive slot, i can't use the first drive slot for data because it won't boot windows.  So, i have to leave the first drive bay empty.  Tech support could not help me.

Quote from: maximus216 on 10-February-13, 21:51:49
    I'm about ready to give up on my GT60.  I have purchased two different SSD drives and neither one is recognized in the bios when placed in the first drive slot.  They are recognized in the 2nd drive slot, but not the first.  I've updated everything, bios and firmware.  Will someone tell me what model and brand SSD drive will work int the GT60?  When the operating system is install in the second drive slot, i can't use the first drive slot for data because it won't boot windows.  So, i have to leave the first drive bay empty.  Tech support could not help me.
    It's rather difficult to recommend a drive....
    What drives did you already try?
    Are you trying to use the SuperRaid drives?
    Do you need a normal 2.5" drive or mSATA drives?
    Honestly, any drive should work, it just may not work perfectly. For instance, Samsung 840 Pro drives are known to only operate at SATA II speeds, even when installed in the SATA III slot.
    Any Sandforce 2281 based drive should work fine. Intel 520 series should work well, along with 530 as well.

• What DVD drives are compatible with the iMac G4 17 1ghz?

I need a new CD drive that can at least play DVD movies. I do not want to pay the large sum of money just because it's an apple brand, I know there are some compatible drives out there.

All optical drives are DVD capable these days.
    Click on this link for direction to suitable drives.
    https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optical-drives/superdrives/powermac/
    It is pretty much generic drive-wise.
    Message was edited by: roam

• What 3D glasses are supported for the Toshiba 40TL838 TV

Hi,
    I'm looking for support in chosing 3D glasses for my 40TL838 Toshiba TV.
    The TV product page shows 2 models of glasses (FPTAG01G // FPTAG02G) but there's more models available now in stores (i.e.FPT-AG03).
    Can you please advise if all Toshiba 3D active glasses will work fine with my TV or should I stick to these 2 models from the product page?

Hi
    The Toshiba FPT-AG02G 3D Active Shutter glasses are compatible and supported.
    I guess the FPT-AG02G is a succeeding model generation of FPTAG01G

• What versions of iOS are supported by the latest Flash Builder 4.5.1?

Hi, I can't seem to find what versions of iOS are supported by the current version of Flash Builder 4.5.1?
    I'm having trouble with StageWebView with iOS 4.2.1 on the iPad 1.
    thanks,

Hi, I can't seem to find what versions of iOS are supported by the current version of Flash Builder 4.5.1?
    I'm having trouble with StageWebView with iOS 4.2.1 on the iPad 1.
    thanks,

• What ssd drive can i install in my machine

This is my mac pro
    Model Name:
    Mac Pro
      Model Identifier:
    MacPro1,1
      Processor Name:
    Dual-Core Intel Xeon
      Processor Speed:
    3 GHz
      Number of Processors:
      Total Number of Cores:
      L2 Cache (per Processor):
    4 MB
      Memory:
    4 GB
      Bus Speed:
    1.33 GHz
      Boot ROM Version:
    MP11.005C.B08
      SMC Version (system):
    1.7f10
      what ssd drives would i beable to install in this machine, i need more speed but cantafford to buy a new mac.

because 4GB RAM don't go that far with your system and with photos.
    Between the OS, other apps, your photo editing program, file sizes of photos, and the system needs free memory and cache.
    SSD helps when you are low on memory and to load apps.
    your photos should not be on the boot drive.
    4 x 2GB $110
    http://www.amazon.com/BUFFERED-PC2-5300-FB-DIMM-APPLE-Memory/dp/B002ORUUAC/
    SAMSUNG 830 SSD $145
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077CR60Q/
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1804/1/ Corsair Series SSD GT vs Performance Pro
    High speed data drive for your photo library $200 (comes in 250GB and 1TB also)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VPGK42/
    1TB $117 vs $179 2TB
    http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Internal-Desktop/dp/B004CSIG1G/
    4GB isn't enough. I just bought the above RAM, that made a nice difference. I was using an SSD to begin with though. And your OEM ? graphic card too is probably long in the tooth.

• What image types are supported in iMovie?

I'm going on a trip with a group of youth, and I'm wanting to send video updates back to their family members during the trip. I've gotten an image to sync to my iPhone 4, and I can import it into iMovie, but while it shows the photo at the bottom, it won't actually show the image in the movie preview area?
    Importing photos that were taking on the iPhone works, as does taking a photo directly from iMovie, but I want to add some special graphics into the Movie itself.
    Is there a way to tell what formats are supported? The image was made in gimp, 700x300 @ 150dpi exported as a PNG and as a JPG, but neither of them work.

I'm not sure if you tried this, but here it goes:
    _ Using your Mac, make a copy of your Graphic / image to your Desktop
    _ Launch "Preview" on your Mac
    _ Save the file as a JPG
    _ Quit "Preview"
    _ Copy this newly saved JPG to "iPhoto"
    _ Quit "iPhoto"
    _ Launch "iTunes"
    _ Plug your iPhone4 via USB
    _ From "iTunes", select the iPhone4 and go to the Photos Tab.
    _ Make sure the Event or Album of the Graphics/iMage you created above, is Checked
    _ Sync your iPhone
    Now from your iPhone4, verify that you can add this photo into iMovie.

• What video cards are supported for os X?

What video cards are supported for os X? besides the one apple sells.

There is no official list from Apple, since they don't support hardware besides what they will install. YOu can look up support for certain cards, since people have used 3rd party ones. YOu should be able to come up with a particular cards compatability.

• What Bluetooth headsets are compatible with the iphone 4

What Bluetooth headsets are compatible with the iphone 4

All headsets which support
    Ctp for just calls
    A2dp for all audio
    Read more here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3647

• What video files are supported by iMovie 10.0.6?  I have to somehow convert .rcproject files to something that iMovie will accept but I don't know what kind of format to change to.

What video files are supported by iMovie 10.0.6?  What is the best way to allow iMovie 10.0.6 accept my .rcproject movies?

Hey Sioux Falls,
    If you are looking for information on converting or updating older iMovie projects to iMovie 10, you may find the following article helpful:
    Update projects and events from previous versions of iMovie in iMovie (2014) - Apple Support
    Note: To clarify, a .rcproject file generally only contains links and references to movie clips and effects that would be part of an iMovie project; it usually does not contain any actual video.
    Cheers,
    - Brenden

• What DVD drives are compatible with Equium A60 PSA67E?

my question; what dvd drives are compatible for an equium a60 (psa67e-001001en)?
    background; i did a very silly thing! whilst i was in japan and about 18 months after purchasing my a60 in the uk, the dvd drive packed up. i replaced it with a teac dvd drive and it worked like a dream! i threw the old drive away (i think it was a matsu****a, but can't remember the exact model). anyway, i came home and had a bit of spare time on my hands so i decided to tweak my machine and corrupted the windows xp registry.
    Now the windows xp runs in a loop, i can't get access to it and i need to wipe the hard drive and start again basically. i put the recovery disk in, but the computer doesn't read from it and frustratingly finds its way to the loopy windows. i have determined that it is not recognising the teac drive that i used to replace the old one. i think if i put an original type back in, the firmware may recognise the drive and i'll be back in business.... or so i hope!
    of course, any other advice would be gratefully received too! thanks.
    work around??? ps... a work around i thought up... copy the contents of the recovery disk on to a hard drive (using my old computer) then swap the current hdd in my a60 with it... theory; when the computer finds the contents during booting, it will install xp on another part of that hard drive and i'll have a working machine again. could something like that work???????? any thoughts????
    Message was edited by: markchev66

thanks again friend!
    as it turns out, that pioneer drive rung bells.
    though my TEAC (DV-w28e) replacement looks identical to my previous drive and has worked ok with windows, at "the bios level" it is not being recognised... is that something you would have expected???? i must admit, with windows, the TEAC outperformed the original drive and was surprised it wasn't reading my recovery disk after my self infliction! i also tried using a usb hdd loaded up with the recovery disk and that didn't work.
    but you answered my question so thanks a million for that.

• What sata version is supported in the dv7t-7300 model laptop?

What sata version is supported in the dv7t-7300 model laptop?  Does the 1.5TB 7200rpm drive support 3Gb/s or 6Gb/s transfer rates?
    Thank you much!
    Chuck

Hi, Chuck:
    Unfortunately, HP does not advertise that info, but the chipset in your notebook does support SATA III.
    I would hope that when HP designed the notebook, they connected the hard drive (even if it is SATA II) to an available SATA III port the motherboard chipset offers.

• FAQ: Revel basics: What operating systems are supported by Revel?

Q:What operating systems are supported by Revel?
    A: Adobe Revel is a Cloud based photo hosting service accessible via a free photo app for your Mac, iPad, and iPhone. You can download the Revel App on your iPhone and/or iPad using the same Adobe ID associated with your Photoshop.com account. To See Revel in action click here. See also "Working with Adobe Revel". With the app, you can upload, download, and share files, as well as edit photos.
    Q: Can I access Revel through a web browser?
    A: You can access web version of Revel at www.adoberevel.com. The web version of Revel includes almost all the features of Revel EXCEPT the ability to edit your photos for Mac and Windows Android users you can download Revel Importer. Revel Importer is not a full version of Revel but it does give you a way to import the photos on your Android phone into your Revel photo library.
    Q: What are the differences between the Revel apps for different devices and platforms?
    A: The key differences are as follows:
    iPhone, iPad and Mac — Access, organize, edit, and share your photos on all your iOS devices, anywhere you are.
    Web — Upload, access, and view your photos via your web browser.
    Revel Importer for Android
    Revel currently supports JPEG files only. At Adobe, we are committed to continued innovation with Revel, and plan to support additional platforms, features, and formats in the future.
    Coming soon:
    Adobe Revel for Android®
    NOTIFY ME
    Adobe Revel for Windows®
    NOTIFY ME
    RELATED LINKS:
    Getting started with Revel
    PS.com Revel Product Page  (includes links to app store)
    Revel basics: What file formats does Revel support?

Just to avoid confusion - during provisioning, the phone is downloading a configuration from remote server. Phone is client. Provisioning process require a server (HTTP or FTP or TFTP) running somewhere.
    You are speaking about browser, not server, so it seems you are speaking about manual configuration of phone, not the provisioning. Even in the case you are speaking about server, you speaking about upgrade of OS, not the provisioning (HTTP/FTP/TFTP) server software. On the other side, you are speaking about "initial profile downloads from Windows 7" asking about browser versions. I'm confused. Can you explain what are you trying to do in more details ?
    Something like: "I did A, expecting B as result but C happened".
    Debug/log from phone device and/or catched communication between browser and phone and/or phone and provisioning server may help to analyze the problem.

• In What Format datas are stored in the LabView???

Hello Friends
                    In what Format datas are stored in the Labview.Likewise Icon,Text format Etc.
    Jayavel

Data Types : 
     http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361B-01/lvexcodeconcepts/manager_data_types/
    Data Logging :
    http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361B-01/lvconcepts/choosing_a_file_i_o_format/ 

Maybe you are looking for

• How do I transfer my OS information from one drive to another?

I have a Mac Pro with two hard drives. The one with my older system seemed to be failing, so I installed Lion on the other, newer drive. Now I'm facing the problem of having to transfer all my settings, iTunes info, Keychain, Apps/Serial Numbers/Perm

• Why can't PS CC read .gif and .png files anymore?

Everytime I've tried to load my files into my PS like usual (simply dragging the photo to the dock) I get this error message "Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file." for both .gif files and .png. It's

• Bit rate standards for Compressing video for Captivate

I have been trying to decide whether rto use constant bit rate or a variable bit rate when compressing my video to embed in Captivate. I have been told by Connect support that a constant bit rate is better for deploying video in Presenter but I am wo

• Check an instance of a jframe

i have a login in screen(jframe) with username and password, i try to run it from one console(windows command promt) its opening, but what i need is when i run the same jframe from another console how can i check whether this frame is already opened(

• Help! where to find the JDK for Unix ??

I want to install a tomcat project in the Operation System (Digital Unix 4.0F) , It is a matter of great urgency. who can tell me where I could find the URL to down load the JDK for Digital Unix 4.0F ? thank you very much.