Which ThinkPad tools to keep on my T410?

Hi,
I am new to this forum.
In the last 2 months, I have purchased a T410, I did replace the existing drive with SSD, the system works well.
Now it is time to review how to make a system working well, work awesome.
The question I have relates to the Lenovo tools loaded on the computer.
I have friends who purchase consumer grade computers and blow off all the crapware the manufacturers load on their laptops like trial software and other utilities.
I do see a few Lenovo utilities like the following:
Thinkvantage Toolbox
Access Manager
Power Manager
The Thinkvantage Toolbox also has the rescue and restore app which is the only service I use actively.
The Access Manager seems to be redundant to the tools offered in Windows 7 except it does have easy access to setup mobile broadband (very nice when I load my SIM card in the laptop).
The Power Manager seems to be redundant with the tools as well in Windows 7.
Questions:
Is it highly recommended to uninstall the Thinkpad tools loaded by Lenovo, do they create more issues than they resolve?
If the answer to 1st question is yes, is there a way via Windows 7 to connect to mobile broadband without Access Connections?
Is there a way of keeping Rescue and Restore without keeping all of Thinkvantage Toolbox?
The computer is fast, I am just at an investigating stage.
Thank You
Moderator edit: Added detail to Subject.

No, you don't need to uninstall them but you can if you don't like/want/need them.
Most of the Lenovo tools are redundant. For example, Access Connections, Power Manager, and the fingerprint reader software can be removed without consequence unless you're using the features of those programs.
Just beware of Power Manager's uninstaller since it will probably fail and cripple the computer's ability to actually boot (it will do a system restore and leave Power Manager there to begin with, thus nullifying your efforts).
I believe that you can remove the Toolbox without touching Rescue and Restore.
If I recall correctly you don't need Access Connections to use the mobile broadband card, either.
But there are a couple features unique to these programs.
For example, pulling Fingerprint Manager removes your ability to use single-sign-on from boot: you swipe your finger across the reader to power on and you then don't need to enter another password.

Similar Messages

• Installing Photoshop CS4 from original Disk onto my new Macbook Pro.  Serial number accepted but now asks for the serial number of a previous version e.g. CS3 which I no longer keep.  How do I resolve ?

Installing Photoshop CS4 from original Disk onto my new Macbook Pro.  Serial number accepted but now asks for the serial number of a previous version e.g. CS3 which I no longer keep.  How do I resolve ?

Tina Hadley did you migrate/transfer your applications over to your new Macintosh?  If so this could cause problems with your serial number being recognized.  Please run the available uninstallers located in Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers folder.  Once this is done you will also want to run the CC Cleaner Tool.  Details on the use of the CC Cleaner Tool can be found at Use the CC Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems | CC, CS3-CS6 - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html.

• I have a G5 which I intend to keep.  Now that I have updated my iphone 4s to iOS 7.0.  I cannot add music to my iphone or upload photos to iphoto.  I have the last itunes 10.6.3. which was supported by apple.  itunes will not interact with my iphone on an

I have a G5 which I intend to keep.
    Now that I have updated my iphone 4s to iOS 7.0.
    I cannot add music to my iphone or upload photos to iphoto.
    I have the last itunes 10.6.3. which was supported by apple.
    itunes will not interact with my iphone on any level.
    Apple made all the equipment I use.
    Bentley and Ferrari etc do not stop making parts for their cars?
    The least Apple could is.
    A. Update itunes to run on a G5
    Regarding iOS 7.0 you have totally lost the plot.
    We buy apple why?
    Quality.
    Intuitive interface.
    Stable software.
    Design.
    All that Steve Jobs consider sacrosanct.
    Quality is about ongoing support longevity of product.
    Its not about trying to sell to every person on the planet, others are way ahead of you.
    So try respective the customers you have, it wont be long before theirs a better operating system and your lead in hardware is marginal. 
    Regards
    Glyn Evans
    My post on facebook this morning.
    If you have an iPhone or iPad do not update to ISO 7 unless you want an operating system that looks like windows 8. The graphics looks like it was designed by a artistically challenged mongoose and the operating system is not intuitive something apple users expect. Overly complicated ugly and generally change for the sake of apples paranoia since the death of Steve Jobs.

You need to update iTunes to 11.1 on your PC

• How do it know which backup files to keep and which to delete?

How do you know which backup files to keep and which to delete?

If you still have all devices, just delete all. They will re backup.

• Duplicate "Apple Loops for Garage Band"...which ones should I keep?

Hi. I've just started using GarageBand 3 (3.0.4), and noticed that I have duplicates of each and every instrument loop. Both Loops folders are located in my user:Library, one in "Audio" the other in "Application Support". Once you drill down to the actual "Loops" folder, the contents are exactly the same. Which one should I keep, which should I toss (it takes up a gig, which is why I want to toss one.)?

You have to locate your Loops Index files (good chance you have two folders with that name), then start GB and drag the loops that you still want into the Loops window for re-indexing.
    Uh presumably after you have located the Index files and before you start GB, you are supposed to do something to the Index files (like delete them)? Maybe this was implied, but it was not explicit.

• Which reporting tool should we use for SAP-BI?

Hello - I was wondering which reporting tool would SAP currently recommended for reporting out of SAP-BI?  For instance, which specific versions etc., of Business Objects or BEx is the best choice considering the subsistence of Business Objects and BEx (i.e. which one will remain in existence?).

Hi,
    check this links to get addtional info (sorry that first link in prev. post does not work...)
    https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/b00a1a75-c49d-2b10-0ebb-ecc80ab88994
    Faster queries with BO
    /people/jon.reed/blog/2008/08/18/what-i-learned-from-the-sap-bo-summit-in-boston
    /people/chetan.patel3/blog/2008/12/05/sap-and-bobj-front-end-integration
    Assigning points if it helps. Thanks.
    Regards
    Andreas

• How I know which manageability tools(Oracle Change Management Pack,Oracle C

Dear all,
    How I know which manageability tools(Oracle Change Management Pack,Oracle Configuration Management Pack,Oracle Diagnostic Pack,Oracle Tuning Pack, etc.) are installed on my oracle databases? Is there v$view to look at? Thank you in advance for your help.

The usual method is described in http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/license.102/b14199/options.htm#CIHGFIAF

• Pls help. which java tool to use for math parser?

hi there
    pls tell me which java tool and classes do i need to use to create a math parser for defferentiation functions. i googled the topic and only got confused. thanks in advance.

sabbir736 wrote:
    hi there
    pls tell me which java tool and classes do i need to use to create a math parser for defferentiation functions. i googled the topic and only got confused. thanks in advance.You use a CAS (Computer Algebra System) for such a task: not Java. I recommend Maple or Matlab, or if you don't have any money to spend: you could try Maxima: http://maxima.sourceforge.net/ I heard some good things about it.

• I keep getting the following message on my phone "Sorry!  The application Email (processcom.andriod.email) has stopped unexpectedly.  Please try again"  and there is a force shutdown button, which I push but keep getting the message.  Any ideas how to mak

I keep getting the following message on my phone "Sorry!  The application Email (processcom.andriod.email) has stopped unexpectedly.  Please try again"  and there is a force shutdown button, which I push but keep getting the message.  Any ideas how to make it go away so I can get my emails?

Have you installed any applications recently?  A task killer maybe?  You can try rebooting the phone and see if that helps.

• I've a macbook pro 10.5.8 osx which I want to Keep running (traktor dj soft) whilst shut and see screen in realtime on my iphone

Hi guys, i'm a noob on here, I've a macbook pro 10.5.8 osx which I want to Keep running (traktor dj soft) whilst shut and see screen in realtime on my iphone (laptop open = zero crowd interaction

First, make sure that the apps that you depend on are Intel-compatible and not PPC only Take a stroll over to Roaring Apps and make sure that you check all of the applications that you use on a regular basis.
    You might want to just upgrade to Snow Leopard if it looks as if you've a number of PPC apps - going the Mountain Lion route may be very expensive for you otherwise.
    Good luck,
    Clinton

• Which pro tools version works with iMac 10.8.4?

which pro tools version works with iMac 10.8.4?

I have already done that. From my understanding pro tools 11 should work. Looking for confirmation from other users..

• Planning on selling 1 of the 10.5.6 DVDs, which one should I keep?

I have 2 Mac OS X 10.5.6 DVDs, the gray retail one that came with my computer and one I had bought separately with the spacey background. Which one should I keep? And when Snow Leopard comes should I sell the remaining OS X DVD or keep it in case there are computer problems and I need to reinstall?

I have 2 Mac OS X 10.5.6 DVDs, the gray retail one that came with my computer and one I had bought separately with the spacey background. Which one should I keep?
    The one which you got with the computer.
    And when Snow Leopard comes should I sell the remaining OS X DVD
    No. That DVD isn't allowed to be sold separately from the computer it came with and cannot be used to install the OS on a different Mac model.
    (46282)

• Tool for keep information performance db

Hi all,
    Is there any tool for keep information about performance of db?because i want to keep any information such as space,buffer cache,log ,sga etc. and after i will take this value into grap for my manager (dayly,weekly,monthly).or Is there any way to do it?
    thks for advance
    Chara

As others suggested, I would also recommend you to schedule statspack every15min or 30min, so that you can comapre the performance as well take the statspack report for analysis.
    Jaffar

• Can some one plz tell me which customization tool should be used to package Adobe Audition CS6

Can some one plz tell me which customization tool should be used to package Adobe Audition CS6

Sorry, you will have to give us a LOT MORE DETAIL about what exactly you are trying to do!
    As written, I'm afraid your question makes no sense.  Why do you need to "package AA CS6"?

• Which Monitoring Tool is best to monitor LAN and WAN

Hi,
    CAN ANYONE TELL ME Which Monitoring Tool is best to monitor LAN and WAN.
    Waiting for immediate response.
    Thanks
    Irshad

To start with HP open, this is SNMP-based as well. As it is around for quite a while and delivers support for many vendors, it has become sort of an industry standard. Many other vendors deliver add-ons (even CiscoWorks) to support their products via HP open. That functionality however comes with a price. If you have plenty of money an a large network to manage, HP open might be your best choice.
    Cisco Works and other -start-with-C- products are typically used to manage Cisco devices. If you have a fair share of non-cisco boxes around you will find that you cannot see or do everything with them that you might want.
    One special thing about CiscoWorks is that it lacks a grapical real-time overview of the network. In my opinion this is a weakness in the product. On the other hand, it has many nice features to manage all kinds of Cisco devices.
    My ideal solution is to use both a generic SNMP manager, SNMPc in my case, and CiscoWorks 2000. With SNMPc I can quickly see network node status and do some bandwidth management (baselining). CW2k serves mainly to execute changes (NetConfig) and as a syslogger. It is also used to perform IOS upgrades and to store config files.
    I guess this could be done with HP open as well, but our money does not reach far enough to pay for both. SNMPc costs a lot less, both in purchase and in maintenance.
    Hope this clarifies things a bit.
    Regards,
    Leo

Maybe you are looking for

• MY PASSPORT WD Drive not showing on my macbook but shows on others.

For no reason whatsoever my macbook pro won't show my WD external HD.  It powers up normally and I see the light on the HD, it reads on other macbook pro's and it even gets read by my LG smart TV.  It used to be read on my macbook pro but for no reas

• Want to create analysis for this year week vs last year week

All, My requirement is to create an analysis for the passed week number of this year vs same last year week no. So basically user will pass the week no. and report should display the passed week no. this year sales number plus same week no. last year

• Adding HTTP Auth header with WCF-Basic http adapter

Hello, we have a scenario where we receive a message from a source ssytem and make a soap webservice call using this message. The third party webservice expects basic authentication. The source message contains the userid/passphrase to be used while

• How to add org infotypes to the PA infotypes in the ad-hoc report infoset?

HI experts, We created a new object in OM. I want to get the holder of the position using the following linkage. Please explain. e.g. Z1 (new object)>> using new relationship ZR >> position >> rel. A008(holder) >> holder Pernr. Is it possible to get

• PM -order operations - customer-fields

Hi SDN, We used customizing activity 'Define User Fields' (Transaction 'OILJ' ) to define user fields and store them under a field key,.and assigned the key to an operation in a maintenance order Is it possible to list this client fields in the list