Windows 7 - FN + indication disappeared - T400

Hi there,
Ive installed Win 7 from scratch (i.e. no upgrade, direct install), and Im missing some old stuff from the old OS installaiton, indicating the FN + actions.
For example, when I increase the audio volume, or increase the brightness, I dont see the green tiles indicating the volume level, or the brighntess etc.
Btw one off-topic question: Why the audio level is much lower than in the old models like T21 for example ?
Best regards,

Any time that you force Windows to stop instead of letting it shut down normally (sometimes you have to shut it off), you may have lost clusters of data that interfere with the proper operation of Windows. So I suggest you start up and run scandisk and make sure you check the box for fixing problems. The other box doesn't need to be checked unless you suspect bad sectors on the hard drive and it takes a long time so I recommend only checking the one box for finding and fixing errors.
Let us know if this worked and the problem is fixed.
Good luck.

Similar Messages

• I have Adobe CS4..... now when I want to print my picture, I get the message "Adobe CS4 has stopped working, sending issue to windows and then disappears.... nothing can print anymore...Help??

I have Adobe CS4..... now when I want to print my picture, I get the message "Adobe CS4 has stopped working, sending issue to windows and then disappears.... nothing can print anymore...Help??

Try updating the printer driver.

• Firefox for Mac: Upload/Attachment window won't disappear

Howdy -
    I recently upgraded to OS X Yosemite 10.10, and Firefox 32.0.3.
    Frequently, but without consistency, the upload file or attachment window will not disappear after I have selected a file.
    For example, in Wordpress, I will go to import a file to Media. I will select the file and try to add it. It will be added, but the window from which I made my file selection does not go away. It can't be moved, it can't be interacted with, I can't pull any other window on top of it.
    Or in an email, to add an attachment, I will select the file, press OK and the upload window will hang.
    This happens regularly, but not with any pattern or consistency. It seems to happen more if I press return to select a file versus clicking the OK button, though that is not a failsafe way of doing it.
    Would be thrilled to hear if anyone has a solution or a troubleshoot to this.
    Thanks for your help and best regards.

First I would recommend updating to Firefox 33. Second since this happens with javascript I wonder if this is happening for an interaction of hardware acceleration or an add on. To test, please see if the issue occurs less often when you start Firefox in Safe Mode: [[Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode]]

• When I open a new window (App etc) the windows already open disappear. How can I fix this ?, When I open a new window (App etc) the windows already open disappear. How can I fix this ?

When I open a new window (App etc) the windows already open disappear. How can I fix this ?

Back up all data.
    Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:
    defaults delete com.apple.dock single-app && killall Dock
    Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.
    Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:
    ☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)
    ☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.
    ☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.
    Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.
    Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear below what you entered. You can then quit Terminal. Test.

• Updated Mavericks, Windows partition has disappeared

Hello, I just updated to the latest version of Mavericks and my Windows partition has disappeared. Can anyone help me get it back, or is it gone?

Hi Eric, I have tried that and its not there. Also when I try to reinstall windows in bootcamp it says that I need to uninstall windows first which it then says it cant do... any suggestions? Im hoping someone will have a miracle cure to make it all come back!!

• Windows 8 activation disappeared after rerolling t...

Good day.
    I had purchased 02741N2 Nokia N2520 tablet through Nokia official e-store on 22.12.2013. Device’s IMEI is 358980050172098. For half a year the device was working fine so was Windows 8.
    Lately during the Windows update installation process, the tablet froze, and after that was working very unstable. I made a reroll to factory defaults, after which my Windows 8 activation disappeared. Now when I try to re-activate it, it throws an error (0xC004F012). The system asks me to enter the product key, which is stated on the device’s box, or the DVD that comes with it, or in the e-mail, that I was supposed to receive. But there’s NO product key on the box (only IMEI), and I haven’t received neither the DVD nor the e-mail.
                    I contacted the Nokia support in Russia (that’s where I live). We tried to activate Windows in many ways, but without success. Then they told me to call Russian Microsoft support service. At Microsoft I was told that if I had purchased Nokia device with pre-installed Windows OS, then all the product key issues should be directed to Nokia (which I already had talked to). Still we also tried to solve the problem by activating Windows 8 by phone, using SLUI 3 and SLUI 4. Nothing of that helped. I also contacted the shop, which delivered the product. They said that they have nothing to do with product keys, since it’s the manufacturer’s responsibility to provide it.
                    And so I still have the tablet with un-activated Windows RT 8.1, which doesn’t allow me to use the device properly. Microsoft applications don’t work.
                    So is there really no way I can get help from Nokia? Where can I obtain my product key? After all I paid money for the device AND the OS it is running.
    Hope for your help. Best regards.
    Sergey Syuzev.

Odd, normally the recovery image will have the product key embedded. I think however you'd be better off bringing this up with Nokis Support through a more direct channel. This is a user to user platform.
    I guess the easiest and possibly fastest way would be Twitter @NokiaHelps 
    Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

• Windows network shares disappearing when users are logged on to Mac

We are having some problems with windows network shares disappearing when users are logged on to Mac computers.
    We have a number of Mac labs that users can logon to using their AD login credentials. Their network shares are saved on a windows file server. The ad plug has been configured on each client Mac as has the LDAP plug-in. It is configured to connect to the Xserve which is running as an OD master. The system preferences for the client Macs are being managed from the Xserve.
    The problem for the users is that they can log into the Mac no problem and they can see their network share appearing on the desktop and in the dock, but for some reason on random Macs and with random users the network share disappears. If they log off and log back in again the network share is still missing. As it happens randomly I can not put my finger on what the problem is.
    Most labs either have Intel iMacs running 10.4.11 or Intel iMacs running 10.5.5
    Any help will be appreciated
    Noel Patterson
    Southern Regional College
    Northern Ireland

Mike,
    We need to know some basic scoping information to provide any further input.
    1)     
    Is the user prompted that the server will be shutting down?
    2)     
    Does Task Scheduler show that the task ran at the scheduled time?
    3)     
    Are there any errors in %windir%\tasks\schedlgu.txt?
    4)     
    Does the problem still occur if the machine is in its own OU with blocked inheritance?
    Does the problem still occur in a clean boot configuration with MSConfig
    Steps to clean boot machine:
    ================
    Start > Run > Msconfig > Select Services > click "check box", "Hide all microsoft services" > Disable all
    Start > Run > Msconfig > Select startup>  Disable all
    Reboot
    Thanks,
    ankit

• Why when I open contacts on my Macbook Pro running ML and I click on the window, does it disappear into the background. It basically makes it unusable because I can't touch it.

I've restarted my MacBook Pro (like I used to have to do with my PC) and I've of course also quit and restarted Contacts. What happens is, I select Contacts, like lets say from the Dock. It opens or comes to the foreground if it was already open. I can type in the search field (because the cursor is already there by default). I can hit enter and search, but if I touch the window it disappears behind all of my other applications. Yes, not just behind one application but behind everything that is open. So, I have to minimize everything or shove it all out of the way in order to get to the Contacts window and use it. Do you know the solution to this?

when you restart the machine, make sure you uncheck the "reopen windows" check box, and see if that helps.

• Windows 7 x64 on T400s

I've now been using Windows 7 RTM x64 on my T400s for about a week and just wanted to document my findings. Windows is generally running quite fast and stable on the new ThinkPad, although there are certain outstanding issues, most of which I guess will be fixed with new drivers/versions:
    Access Connections has a real bad memory leak (blows up explorer.exe), which is also leading to some crashes
    If you want to use the Ericsson F3507g module, you need to use Access Connections to get it running or use third party apps. I hope that there will also be a solution so one can use the native Windows 7 Networking UI to control WWAN.
    GPS is completely broken so far, this should integrate with the new "Location and other Sensors" feature of Windows 7
    Battery life is abysmal, I suppose the power savings features are not working at all as I can get at best 3h of useful life from the battery (power usage in idle with wi-fi on and the LCD turned as far down as possible hovers ~14W), also I'm under the impression that the LCD cannot be turned down as low in Windows 7 as elsewhere.
    Basically, I'm a little bit disappointed that there hasn't been more progress with drivers so far. I understand the argument that the official consumer release date for Windows 7 is still some ways off, however ThinkPads are mostly business machines and those businesses often enough are volume license customers as well as enthusiasts who have early access.
    I would especially appreciate if there was some kind of official feedback on what is happening with development, highlighted (regular) updates on the beta drivers list, etc.
    After all, there is a crowd of fairly skilled enthusiasts for ThinkPads that would probably be willing to help identify bugs...
    Regards,
    -Jan

JOL wrote:
    however ThinkPads are mostly business machines and those businesses often enough are volume license customers as well as enthusiasts who have early access.
    Volume Licence customers are generally NOT going to be early adopters of new OS's, so you are buying your argument back with that assertion.
    Volume Licence customers want fully tested drivers etc, which is one of the major reasons why RTM is NOT the point of General Availability!
    Cheers,
    Bill
    I don't work for Lenovo

• Windows 7 partition disappeared?

So as I was creating a partition for Windows 7 (500 GB, leaving the Mac partition with 100 GB to spare), it gave me some sort of error about files and what-not (I apologize for not remembering). I then proceeded to click okay, and I tried to create a new partition with the same GB space, but this time, as I was using safari, my iMac froze and I decided to turn off the computer and turn it back on again. After that I immediately went back to bootcamp, and tried to make another partition, but this time, I only had 77 GB to add to the already 20 GB Windows 7 partition. Meaning I only have 97 GB left on my iMac. Did my partition disappear with all that storage? Please help me.
    iMac version 10.6.8

That program, NTFS 3G, has nothing to do with whether or not you have a Win 7 partition and whether or not it is still on your drive or has disappeared.
    Open System Preferences and go to Startup Disk. Is the Win 7 partition listed as a startup drive? If it is then it hasn't disappeared, it still there. Another way to get to it is to hold down the Option/Alt key at startup. That brings up a BOOT Menu screen where you can select which partition to boot from. Is the Win 7 partition listed? If it is then it hasn't disappeared.
    But that program you installed has been corrupted in some way and not loading. That program, NTFS 3G, is for Mac OS X to Write to NTFS formatted partitions which natively it Can't Do.

• My save as pdf dialog window has mysteriously disappeared. How do I get it back?

I'm using Illustrator CS5 on a Mac running Mavericks. I have made a bunch of images using a template and now I am wanting to make pdf of my images. I go "File" > "Save as" and then select "Adobe pdf" and click save. This used to bring up a separate dialog window that asked me things about how to save the pdf, but that has disappeared. I'm also using an external monitor on my MacBook Pro and I feel that this is the culprit. I'm trying to save my individual layers so that I can turn them on/off in Adobe Reader, but that function isn't available without the dialog box. Any suggestions on how to get it back? Also, without the dialog Illustrator beeps at me if I try to use it. I have to hit enter on the keyboard to save the pdf with the default parameters.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ben

Sounds like the dialog is off screen. You can try to reset the Preferences by using Cmd-Opt-Shift on restarting AI. That might bring it back to the current screen.

• New Toshiba Laptop with Windows 8 mouse disappears

I received a Toshiba Satellite Laptop for Christmas and it is running Windows 8. I started using it and it worked fine, but I started using Internet Explorer and the mouse froze, but I could still use my keyboard to get back to the start-page and move around with the up/down/left/right keys. My mouse was no where to be found on the start-page. I used the ctrl-alt-delete to log out, and then when the log-in screen came up my mouse reappeared and seemed to be working again. I logged back in and my mouse worked for a few seconds, then disappeared. I did the same things over and over again a few times, and either the mouse was nowhere to be found from the get-go, or it worked for a bit then disappeared once I started doing things. I shut down, and restarted multiple times. Any fix for this problem? If it is a Windows 8 problem I am very disappointing at the moment with the software  Thank you, and happy holidays.

This may be the one i sold - but what we found was that the F5 key brought the mouse back .  I am not sure how it happened in the first place.  But F5 is "refresh" .  this is a POOR choice for a function key that disables the mouse, since now to get the FUNCTION for f5, you need to press fn and F5 .  If you hit just f5 like we used to, it will disable the mouse ... hmmmmmm.  nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Tx2110us windows 7 WLAN disappears

I've installed Windows 7 Ultimate x86 on my machine. Been able to get pretty much everything working, but the Broadcom WLAN isn't consistent. Sometimes when I reboot it disappears! Can't see it in Device Manager at all, like it's not even connected!
    At first I thought it was a conflict as it seemed to happen when I installed other drivers. So I wiped the HD, did a CLEAN install of 7, got it working, installed the Windows Update for Broadcom, rebooted, AND IT DISAPPEARED. So no other drivers have been installed other than stock Windows and IT STILL DISAPPEARED. I rebooted into safe mode with networking to see if maybe it would appear, got nothing. So I rebooted and when I logged in, IT CAME BACK! So I rebooted again without changing ANYTHING, and guess what? NO WIRELESS CARD. Not in the device manager, not listed under Network, not listed under unknown, NOT LISTED. Win 7 just seems to see it whenever it feels like it!
    Does anyone have a clue?
    I should also add that after dealing with this for a day I installed Windows XP, during which I had absolutely no problems installing and connecting the WLAN, so I'm pretty confident that it's just 7!
    Message Edited by romanonly on 11-06-2009 06:02 PM

Galt,
    First of all, you need to go into your advanced power settings and lower your processor usage to 50%. I have my "Power Saver" setting at 50% and my "Balanced" setting at 80%. I use the "Power Saver" 90% of the time, only using "Balanced" when I work in Photoshop. Doing it this way will prevent your notebook from overheating and circumvent the fact that HP DOESN'T KNOW JACK ABOUT SYSTEM COOLING. Running my machine at 100% will overheat it EVERY TIME and since HP is too retarded to figure out how to set up an overheat warning the machine clicks off and everything you are working on is lost. These machines are CLEARLY defective according to LOTS OF PEOPLE. Scaling your processor back will hopefully extend the life of your machine, since HP refuses to do good business and take care of those of us they have profited from. Using "Power Saver" mode has kept my machine working for about 2 years now, where most people are claiming they have problems within 6 months out of warranty, some even earlier. (if anyone at HP has doubts about this then I'd like them to explain why when I ran WinXP on my machine it wouldn't run for more than 20 minutes without overheating and turning off, it does not have processor scaling, it uses the processor to it's fullest, AND I'm *very touchy about my equipment* so my notebook is in EXCELLENT condition)
    You can access these settings by clicking the battery icon in the system tray and clicking  "More Power Options", then "Change Plan Settings", then "Change Advanced Power Settings". Look for "Processor Power Management" in the dialog that appears and set the max accordingly.
    Make sure when you run it at 80% you use a cooling pad. In fact, just elevating it to gain more air clearance seems to make enough difference to be worth it.
    Secondly, my wireless card is not damaged, that was my first concern, so I tested it with Windows XP and it works PERFECTLY. 20 reboots in a row, not one single hiccup. More than likely yours is not broken, Windows 7 just doesn't see it. I went for 2 solid weeks after installing Win7 without seeing my wireless appear while waiting for a USB wireless in the mail. When the USB wireless arrived I got it working, no problem. One time when I rebooted with the wireless card plugged in the right side USB of my tx2110us my internal wireless re-appeared! It worked for about 2-3 reboots and then disappeared again. I don't think it's a coincidence that it happened to come back THE SAME DAY I got my new external card after not working for 2 weeks SOLID. Also, if your card is damaged, then why would a reformat fix the problem temporarily? I re-installed 7 four or more times when this issue started and had the same results EVERY SINGLE TIME. Works for a few reboots and then *POOF*, non-existant. Obviously it's just a hardware compatibility issue and HP needs to update some specific drivers, probably for the card, maybe bios, who knows, who cares, it's their responsibility to fix it if they claim they'll support Windows 7. Luckily for you and I the tx2000 is on the list of machines that will be supported driver wise for Windows 7, but who knows, it could be a year or two before they get around to it since they're too busy devising new ways to deny that they have sold hundreds of people defective products. At the moment the only Win7 driver for this machine is for reverting back to Vista. Why anyone would wanna go back to that P.O.S. is far beyond my comprehension.
    I couldn't find many people with this *exact* issue or a solution for it, so I swore that if I found a solution then I would post it here. I've also posted in windows7forums, sevenforums, microsoft's technet forums, and tabletpcreview. None of these communities had a viable solution, but if/when I find it then I will post it in all of those locations, I hope you do the same, and good luck!
    Message Edited by WendyM on 11-25-2009 07:34 PM
    Message Edited by romanonly on 11-25-2009 09:51 PM

• Re: Windows recovery icon disappeared

Dear All,
    My pc (satellite A100) has been giving me problems after a virus infection. I decided to reinstall the OS but the recovery DVD 1 is damaged. I tried to create new discs but the icon for Windows recovery DVD has disappeared.
    Could anyone give me the route and name of the exe file so I can try to execute it manually?
    Thank you in advance for your help.

> I need the name of the exe file (ie. "xyz.exe") and if possible I would like to know the folder where it is located
    It's not available on my lap anymore that's why i don't remember the exact name. But is sounds like *Trslauncher* and should be located in program files in Toshiba utilities folder. try this one:
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/outFrm.jsp?ofId=AskIris&searchString=Recovery+Disc +creator&x=0&y=0
    To be honest, i don't know if it will work.........

• When minimizing the Firefox window, it totally disappears and can't be maximized again.

After a unknown crash of Firefox, I restarted Firefox.
    The button appeared in the tasbar, but the window was never to be found.
    Clicking the button didn't help.
    I used the windows taskmanager to maximize the window, which worked OK, but.........
    When clicking the "size down" button (top right middle button), the window again disappeared and could not be resurrected again in a normal way.
    So at the moment I am stuck with a maximaized window, and I can't resize and move it anymore....
    Sincerly hope you have a solution....
    Best regards,
    Lody J. Claessen

* Use Restore or Maximize in the right-click context menu of the Taskbar icon to set focus to the Firefox application if you do not see the Firefox window.
    * Open the system menu of that Firefox window via Alt+Space and see if you can move and resize that window (use the keyboard cursor keys).
    If that works then first close all other open Firefox windows and then close Firefox via "File > Exit/Quit" to save that setting.
    If the above didn't help then see:
    * http://kb.mozillazine.org/Corrupt_localstore.rdf

Maybe you are looking for

• How to enable and edit parental control in mac OS X programmatically

I want to create an application for editing Parental Control settings. Application will be running in background and it will get the command from server. On receiving the commands it will change the setting of parental control. Can any one tell me ho

• On iPhone 4S, how can I change the calculator display to scientific notation?

I know how about the horizontal display. Is there a way to change from fixed point display to scientific or engineering display?

• Check G/L field status group for Business area

Hi, when I set the buiness area, I set field status group to required for BA field, the setting always check the BA field on accouting doc. But some G/L is automatic posted, always show "Business area is a required field for G/L account ...", Can you

• Possible Trouble With Garageband '09

Hey, If anyone knows if I can use the garageband software on a non apple just give me some feedback. I have an Compaq with vista. I want the Garageband feature for mixing purposes. If you know of any issues I'd appreciate the input.

• Own checks in SLIN

Hi, There is a possibility to add our own checks in SCI or SCID (Code inspector). Is it possible to add our own checks in SLIN ? Regards,,, Sunil joyous Moderator message - Moved to the correct forum Edited by: Rob Burbank on Apr 28, 2010 9:21 AM