Windows 7 on a ThinkPad T42 (2374)

I've just purchased a used T42 that had Win XP on it and plan to hand it over to my older daughter. I've installed Windows 7 (Home Premium) and many hardware components work. A few important ones, however, don't and I've spent most of the evening wandering around the downloads area. No joy, though. The Wi-Fi adapter doesn't work (that's the really important one). Windows doesn't even see that an adapter exists but I know it's there because it worked under Win XP. The sound doesn't work either (important but not critical). I suppose I could buy a USB Wi-Fi adapter but my preference would be to get the internal device working. From what I've read here, it appears that identifying the right drivers depends on more than just the model (T42) and type (2374). The product ID from the bottom of the case is 2374T64. Can anyone direct me to the right drivers? Thanks!
Solved!
Go to Solution.

Here's the final after-action summary:
Audio: The Windows Update process found the appropriate drivers and installed them. 
Wi_Fi: The Windows Update process found the appropriate drivers and installed them. The notebook system is now connected to my WPA2 Wi-Fi system.
The update process downloaded and installed approximately 1,437 other updates, patches, and security fixes.
This antique computer with a tiny (40GB) hard drive is now running Windows 7.
Thanks for all the encouragement!

Similar Messages

• IBook To ThinkPad T42 -

I need to transfer some data files (some as big as 4 GB) from my iBook to my ThinkPad T42. I have never done this before. I have two options and I dont really know which one is gonna work and is the best. Both computers are on the same high speed wireless internet connection. Is there a way I can access files on my iBook from my ThinkPad over the network? If yes, how do I do it (I will need a detailed explaination because I have never done this before).
    This option seems complicated to me.
    Alternatively, can I just connect the two computers by an ethernet cable? Will that work? If yes, how should I go about it?
    Please help me out with this issue.
    Thanks already.
    herschel

Even better (faster), you could create a direct network (ad-hoc) between the two computers, that should enhance the rate of transference (as it is not traveling trough the router, but directly between both computers). Try this:
    Enable windows sharing on the iBook and Share any folder on the PC (be sure to allow other users to change the files). Turn both wireless cards on. On the iBook click on the airport menu and select Create Network, using the default settings.
    Now, make the PC join the network you just created, and browse Network in the iBook, double click on the PC (if needed, use the PC username and password), and once you connect drag the files you want to burn to the PC shared folder.
    Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
    Mark Twain

• Problems with driver after formatting a Thinkpad T42

Hi,
    I formatted my Thinkpad T42 since I was experiencing different issues and the recovery software didn't work. I managed to reinstall Windows pro sp2, but now I'm not able to make some hardware to work.
    I downloaded every driver regarding wireless but even after I install them I cannot use the wireless connection. I tried to follow the step to update the driver, but this doesn't work either. Even if I set the correct path to the driver it says it cannot find it.
    What should I do?
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hello mate,
    There is the driver for your card : http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-62875
    Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.
    ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.
    ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

• Need Drivers for T42 (2374)

I upgraded my thinkpad T42 with Windows XP Professional and now am missing a ton of drivers. I can't even get wireless to work.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    st
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

OK, to start you off with something:
    Ethernet driver:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-62922
    After downloading it, you must unpack it from C>Drivers>Win>Ethernet
    Wireless card:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-67214
    C>Drivers>Win>Wlanath
    The basicprinciple is the same for all drivers. Just watch the path where a particular driver is downloaded in the Win subfoleder, and unpack it from there.
    Hope this helps
    Cheers,
    George
    In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
    Collecting dust: T60
    Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
    Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
    Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

• Fan error at startup in ibm thinkpad t42

i always get fan error at startup in my  ibm thinkpad t42 since 1 week. i press esc key at error and that is the only way my system startup. its not in warranty and will like to try to fix it on my own. please help. i am worried

Try bblowing some air into the fan lover when the system is off. Then turn the system on and put your hand at the louver to see if it blows air. If this doesnt work, run PC doctor for DOS ( available at  http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-56222) and check the problem. If this doesnt work either, replace the fan.

• Windows 10 planned for Thinkpad Tablet 8 products?

Can somebody close to Lenovo tell us, if Lenovo is planning to extend drivers and support for Windows 10 to our Thinkpad Tablet 8 products?
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Obviously. Microsoft is responsible for delivering us the Win 10 update, and they said they would do it for free within the first year of availability to any and all Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 devices. Hence it would only be appropriate that Lenovo would eventually bring Win 10 support to its existing products as well, in addition to their new lines of products preloaded with Win 10. We still have several months to go, so be patient...

• T42 (2374-E88) - Wont Power Up

A friend asked me to see if I could get his Type 2374-E88 T42 working. It had not been used in a few years and had neither a port replicator nor a power adapter. I purchased a power adaptor, confirmed it is providing the required 16v output, but there is no response from the machine when I press the power button. I tried removing the battery, hard drive and RAM, waiting 30 seconds, reinstalling the RAM, reconnecting the power adapter and trying again with the same lack of response.
    I fear it is a system board problem but wanted to poll you experts to see if there might be some other steps I could take to confirm that. If it is the system board, I'm up to trying to replace it if I can get one for under $200 but first have to figure out what the correct part number is for the board. (The Lenovo service parts manual does not contain a reference for the 2374-E88).
    Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Welcome to the forum!
    Do any lights come on when you try to power on, is the fan spinning, any signs of life at all?
    Good luck and let us know.
    Cheers,
    George
    Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

• Gradual failure of wireless connectivi​ty in Windows XP on T61 ThinkPad

My computer has gradually been getting worse about connecting to wireless internet, and now it seems to have completely stopped.  Perhaps it is a hardware issue and the wireless card has just become broken, but I don't know how to check whether that's the case.  I don't know whether these are typical symptoms, and I don't know the correct terminology to search the internet for, because for everyone else asking about similar things it seems to be correlated with some change in software, whereas mine just seems spontaneous.
    The computer is a Lenovo T61 Thinkpad from 2008, running Windows XP SP2.
    Until the past couple of days, the computer would usually connect to the internet fine, but sometimes (and in some physical locations almost all the time; this started a few months ago, but was primarily associated with one physical location until a few weeks ago) the green wifi indicator light icon thing right below the screen would be off.  When that happened, sometimes restarting the computer would fix it, but probably not most of the time.  Sometimes I could right-click the wireless-icon in the system tray (a little computer monitor with green waves coming out of it) and click "Repair", and that would fix it maybe half the time (though sometimes it would take a few tries).  When I would click "Repair", it would go through the "disabling wireless network adapter", "enabling wireless network adapter" (at which point the wifi indicator light almost always would turn on), "connecting to the wireless network", "renewing your IP address" (at this point the indicator light would sometimes turn off again; if it didn't turn off, then the connection would work, but often only for a few seconds or a few minutes before breaking again), "clearing the [DNS?] cache", and "registering with the DNS".  Then it would say that it had repaired the connection, it would show that it was connected to the network, but (if the indicator-light had turned off) the system-tray icon would not be flashing back and forth between blue and gray, it would just stay gray.  When I right-clicked on the system-tray icon and clicked "View Available Wireless Networks", it would show all the networks, and label the one I'm connected to as "Connected", but there wasn't any network traffic, web pages wouldn't load, email program said it failed to connect, etc.  If I tried to connect to a different network, it would say that the network was no longer available and I should refresh the network list, but refreshing the list didn't change anything.
    Occasionally the wireless-icon in the system tray would be completely absent.  In those cases, sometimes I could go to Control Panel -> Network Connections and there would be an icon for the wireless connection, and when I would double-click that, it would say "Enabling ..." and then "Connection Failed!" (this method was never able to enable it).  Other times, the wireless connection isn't even listed there.
    Anyway, as of yesterday, the indicator light never turns on, and as of today, the system-tray icon and the "wireless connection" listing under Network Connections are also gone.  The wireless adapter is also not listed in the Device Manager (I don't know whether it was before, I didn't check).
    I called Lenovo tech support, and they said they weren't allowed to give me specific help because the computer isn't under warranty anymore, but they said it was likely a hardware issue.  They advised running the ThinkVantage System Update as a first step, which I did, and that had no effect.
    So, should I just buy a new wireless card, or is there something else I should try first?

Hello,
    I wonder if the ThinkPad T61 downloaded any updates while it was on the wired network?  If so, perhaps one of them was a device driver update for the wireless network card.
    Regards,
    Aryeh Goretsky
    I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
    S230u (3347-4HU) • X220 (4286-CTO) • W510 (4318-CTO) • W530 (2441-4R3) • X100e (3508-CTO) • X120e (0596-CTO) • T61p (6459-CTO) • T43p (2678-H7U) • T42 (2378-R4U) • T23 (2648-LU7)
      Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español Русскоязычное Сообщество

• T42 2374-BL6 help (drivers) :(

Ok I just had to re-install the OS on my T42, Xp pro totally froze up on start and I didnt know what was causing it, so I reformatted and put XP home on there.
    Slight problem, I dont have any driver CD's for the laptop, and I cannot find any of them on the lenovo support section of their site
    The serial number is: 2374-BL6
    I put this is the search box and it came up with something different.
    I pretty much need all drivers, but the wireless card one would be the best best first.
    If you can help I would be most grateful.
    P.S New member, greetings.

All you need is here:
     http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-55386
    BTW, your wireless card is Inrel 2100B when you start looking for drivers.
    Make sure that you unpack every single driver after downloading by running the setup file in the Win subfolder under Drivers folder.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    George

• T42 (2374) Hard Disk

Hi all,
    a friend gave me an old IBM thinkpad 2374, without Hard Disk (removed because damaged).
    I would like to find a compatible hard disk, install on it and use it with Windows XP and office (well, it would beel used by my ittle son). But .... I don't know, what kind of hard disk should I search for?
    Can anybody suggest me anything, please?
    Thanks in advance
    Jazzrock71

ThinkPads of that generation used a parallel ATA also known as IDE interface for HDDs. Today they all use a serial ATA or SATA interface.
    IDE drives are hard to find new and are usually quite expensive. Your best bet is probably something from eBay, e.g. Brand New 2.5" HDD IDE PATA 40GB Hard Disk Drive For laptop TOP Quality CA AAA for US$14. The seller claims the drives are new. I suspect they are actually used/refurbished.
    Cheers... Dorian Hausman
    X1C2, TPT2, T430s, SL500, X61s, T60p, A21p, 770, 760ED... 5160, 5150... S360/30

• Windows 7 installation problems Thinkpad X220 (4291-4BG)

Hello
    I just bought a new laptop a Lenovo ThinkPad x220 (4291-4BG). I want to do a clean windows install on it. I have downloaded the windows 7 professional ISO from MSDN. For installation i do as fallows.
    1. Pressing F12 at boot to start from my external DVD device (Samsung SE-S084C)
    2. The installation boots and i get to select language. Chose Swedish for keybored and english for the rest.
    3. Get to press install now buton all fine so far.
    4. Now i get an error message saying the error in the below image
    Link to picture
    5. I figures out it needs a driver for the storage controler. Downloads the storage adapter driver for my laptop from lenovo site adding it via a USB drive key. And all lokes ok se image below.
    Link to picture
    6. Clickes next and it takes a half a minute and then i get the fallowing error. Se image below
    Link to picture
    And here im stuck. I have allsow tried diffrent ISO files from MSDN both with SP1 and without. Have also tested booting the installation from USB stick same problem. Have reseted the BIOS to factury defaults. The BIOS is set to AHCI mode for the disc. Have updated the BIOS to the latest version 1.24 se BIOS info below
    Link to picture
    I have also tested UEFI only bot using the guide from the below link.
    Installing Windows 7 with UEFI boot on an x220 from USB
    Then i try this guide i come to the boot menu for selecting boot device but then i select my USB stick it blinks for a few seconds and then returns to the select boot device menu.
    I hope someone maybe have an ide how to fix this. All help is welcome . Sorry if my english isent the best.
    Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Magnus
    Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Magnus, welcome to the forum,
    acording to the MTM your system has an i-7 CPU, it should therefore have USB 3.0. Please try installing the system and ensure you only use the USB 2.0 ports.
    Hope this helps
    Andy  ______________________________________
    Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points
    Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.
      Deutsche Community     Comunidad en Español    English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество
    PepperonI blog 

• T61, WinXP SP2: Windows Power Options vs Thinkpad Power Manager (Standby/LID/etc)

My message is similar to this one:
    http://forum.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&message.id=4885
    but show clear source of problem.
    So I start...
    I have [brand new ] T61 with XP SP2 Russian, installed from R&R disks from Lenovo through Vista Downgrade deal.
    1. I set Windows Power Management (W.P.M.) to:
    - standby when closing lid
    - asks for password after wake up from Anabiosis (standby or hibernate).
    2. Close lid -- notebook go to standby; open lid -- notebook wakes up. Fine.
    3. Close lid -- nothing to do. Open lid - notebook runned a usual, no standby preparations ;(
    4. Go to ThinkPad Power Manager (TP.P.M.) (useful left-click from Big Green Gauge in taskbar) -- all settings looks fine: options, checkboxes etc.
    5. Open W.P.M. -- all settings messed up with random values:
    - "no action" on closing lid
    - "asks for password" checkbox not checked (this field varies through few tests).
    6. Setting up needed options in W.P.M. again, repeat steps 2..3..4 -- nothing changes: W.P.M. saves options for first close lid action, then options messed up.
    ==================================
    As I see, ThinkPad Power Manager builds on top of Windows Power Management and overwrites its options on some actions (power up/power down/close lid/etc) in unsmart way, turn off close lid action and bring *potentially security breach* by resetting option for asking password.
    My other experience on close/open lid:
    - Very old R43 at my work acts fine. TP.P.M. installed.
    - HP 6820s works fine with standard W.P.M.
    - HP nx7010 works fine with standard W.P.M.
    Software versions:
    - ThinkPad Power Management Driver: 1.44
    - ThinkPad Power Manager: 1.30b
    - All the hotfixes listed in similar topics installed by R&R disks
    I... am... VERY... DISAPPOINTED! (c) Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg
    Is there a way to fix this TP Power Management suite behaviour?
    Should I reinstall some of components?
    Can I throw out TP Power Management toys and use WinXP native Power Management, ot there will be some ghosts like "yellow undrivered question marks" in Device Manager?
    Thank you.
    Moderator Note; converted to clickable link
    Message Edited by andyP on 04-22-2008 09:37 AM

I solved this trouble without Lenovo intervention:
    - create clean WinXP Pro setup disk from R&R recovery diskset and install WinXP from it;
    - install all the TP utilities & drivers manually, checking LID Close/LID open actions twice after each program;
    - make full system backup (not R&R way) every 3..4 installed programs.
    Entire process spend one week of my time.
    Message Edited by abcdenis on 05-10-2008 03:51 AM

• Intel HD Graphics (Integrated) Driver for Windows 7 (32-bit) - ThinkPad

Hi,
    We have been running Update retriever and Thininstaller with System Center Configuration Manager 2007 for os deployment successfully for a while. When we try to deploy a ThinkPad 1143-3LG system the videodriver for the integrated videocard is not beein installed. After searching for new updates with Machine type: 1143, Operating System Windows 7 and Language Norwegian and English i dont see that this update is available for download by the update retriever system Version 4.02.0011. Is anybody else experiencing this, and is there a reason and solution for this?
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Please try the following:
    1.  Open IE and clear you Temporary Internet FIles through the Internet Options dialog
    2.  Enter the following URL in IE:  http://download.lenovo.com/catalog/1143_Win7_DESC.xml
    3.  The xml file should load and you should see "acfd..." as the first four characters of the checksum element.  If you do then save this file by clicking File - Save as... and store it in your C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Update Retriever\session folder, overwriting the one that is there.
    4.  Enter the following URL in IE:  http://download.lenovo.com/catalog/1143_Win7.xml
    5.  Save this file to the same location as in step 3, overwrite the one that is there.
    6.  Run TVUR again and search for 1143 content again.  You should now see "ThinkPad Video Features(Intel huron River GT1/GT2) for Windows... in the list.
    If the checksum at step 3 does not begin with "acfd..." then you may be behind a caching proxy server.  In that case, add the following to the URLs given above and try again: 
         ?t=1234e252  
    (just some random number)
    Let us know if that helps.

• HELP ! WiFi Adapter Card for Thinkpad T42 ?

Hi everyone, 
    I am new to this site, and new to laptops. I just bought a used IBM LENOVO T42 1,7GHZ 512MB 30 GB HD with XP PRO. I am confussed about the WiFi issue, as it seems like two cards are required (internal / external) to get wireless. I have been searching the internet trying to find out what external and/or internal card I need to buy, but have become frustrated because I don't understand the lingo.
    I bought my computer off eBay with this description:  
    IT ALSO COMES WITH WIRELESS CAPABILITY  TO CONNECT TO ANY WIFI NETWORK OR HOTSPOT AND CONNECT TO THE INTERNET  BY ADDING AN ADAPTER CARD.
    And the specs say this, Expansion slots: one Type III PC Card slot
    Can someone please shed some light on this for me, and tell me what to buy ?
    Thx, Scott  
    IBM LENOVO T42
    1,7GHZ 512MB 30 GB HD
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Scott,
    it's your choice if you want to install an internal or external card:
    1. Internal card: This is located inside the covers so to install it you have to open up the Thinkpad. Here is the T40/41/42 Hardware Maintenance Manual that shows you how to install what is there called the Mini PCI adapter. Most T42s shipped with this card factory installed but probably your model didn't. As you can see from the manual there were several cards that the T42 could have shipped with, my T42 came with the Intel 2200BG card. The big advantage with this approach is you can use an internal antenna in the cover but you might have to install that too if your model shipped from factory without wireless. The FRU (spare part) number for the antenna assemblies (different for 14" and 15" display models) is also shown in the hardware manual and they can be ordered online from IBM/Lenovo and typically ship overnight. (I would wait and order the antenna assembly until you have opened the Thinkpad, it might be there also for models that shipped from factory without wireless card.)
    2. External card: This you put in one of the PC card slots on the left side of the laptop. The disadvantage is it will stick out of the laptop and carries a small external antenna so you will always have to take it out whenever you pack up your laptop. The antenna might not have quite as good reception as the internal antennna.
    Message Edited by zilla on 2009-03-13 07:12 PM
    T500: Vista 32, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 15.4" 1680x1050, 500GB 7200rpm, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD. T42: XP, 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500.

• I'd like to create an Windows 7 OEM for ThinkPad and ThinkCentre but...

The company I work for has recently changed from hardware provider. We ‘re back to Lenovo (IBM when I started here). The looks have hardly changed. I’ve compared my old T43 with my new T430, it’s very familiar to use ;-)
    But, to the point, there’s more that hasn’t changed and that’s the preinstall and no option to do it otherwise. I’d like to create an OEM disk with 2 driver matrixes so I can use it to install our, recently bought ThinkPad’s and ThinkCentres.
    What I need is an OEM license which should be in the $OEM$ folder. On the Dell and HP it is, why can’t I find it on Lenovo. The OEM key I found, is all the same on theLenovo systems is the same so probably I can use that.
    The benefits of the OEM Windows:
    It can be slipstreamed with the updates once in a while, like I’m used to with our Dell computers, and so do not have to update for hours after installation like it is now. (It gets more every time)
    The software we don’t need or are not allowed to use by company policy like Chrome and Norton are not installed.
    The benefits of the preinstall image:
    ... tell me...
    Can anybody tell me where I can find or get this License to put in the $OEM$ folder?
    Or maybe a way to get a OEM disk.

theok wrote:
    What I need is an OEM license which should be in the $OEM$ folder. On the Dell and HP it is, why can’t I find it on Lenovo.
    None of the major system vendors have used Microsoft  OEM license for quite a while now.  Microsoft has other licence approaches which are used by volume system vendors. 
    There are methods for creating SOEs (Standard Operating Environments) on Lenovo systems, and hopefully someone who has specific expertise on doing that will see your message now it is the correct forum, and reply soon.,
    Cheers,
    Bill
    I don't work for Lenovo

Maybe you are looking for

• Mini Display Port to RCA (Yellow Phono)

I would like to connect my iMac to a secondary display like a TFT LCD TV Monitor or a projector via the Mini Display Port. Now since I used to connect my older iMac via it's Mini DVI port by an Apple Original Mini DVI to RCA/SVideo composite adapter,

• How to bind local variables in complex query in PL/SQL

Hi I have long complex query with local varibales; when I run in Dynamic SQL I get an error. Not sure which is the easiest way to bind local variables. L_QUERY := q'[select m.segment1 col1,       '1' col2,       '13' col3,       l.operand col4,      

• WBS cost to be settle to Asset

Hi Frds, I have one requirement regarding some asset work is under construction against the project.If work is under construction all cost is booking to project gl(we are using only 4 project gl,500000-labour,500001-material,500002-subcon and 500003-

• How to reference system.Text.RegularExpressions?

Some time ago I downloaded a bunch of WCF examples from Microsoft and this sample works! WF_WCF_Samples\WCF\Extensibility\Ajax\WebContentTypeMapper\CS However, I'd like to modify and add some text manipulation. Why does this code cause a problem? var

• Abap and XI requirment

Hi everyone, I have got the following requirment: I will have to have a job/program running every hour that will make a list of the files left by XI Core, and will process with the transaction ff_5 file by file (A variant may need to be created). Ano