Windows 7 on T61

Hi,
A lot of Infos on Windows 7 for new shipping laptops is available on the Lenovo Website...
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-7-Launch/Lenovo-and-Windows-7-Information/td-p/167070
Anyone knows how to get a Windows 7 CD/DVD for a T61 bought 1,5 year ago?
Including the Lenovo Drivers etc. I still consider W7 as a bugfix for the Vista Version the T61 was released with...
Lenovo Hotline didn't have a clue to this question...
Anyone??
Thanks in advance!!
Edwin

azeeuwnl wrote:
Now I spending a few long evenings finding all the Lenovo drivers for my T61p
Does ThinkVantage System Update 4.0 not work on the T61?
English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Similar Messages

• How to Enable sleep/standby (windows 7) T61

How to enable sleep/standby mode on a windows 7 32bit lenovo t61 -  7665?
    Background info:
    I just formatted my Lenovo t61 - 7665 because I had alot of problems with hibernation and sleep mode.Now I really don't want to update if I dont have to but I need to update something to make sleep mode work?
    Does anyoe know what driver or software to install to make sleep standby mode work. Hibernation works great
    Thanks

Just look into that thread
    It might help you.
    My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
    Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
    My ThinkPad-Collection

• Windows 8 + T61 very slow usb

Thinkpad T61  6464-CTO
    Windows 8
    Bios 2.29
    Embeded Controller 1.08
    Hi
    I have a strange problem. USB 2.0 is very slow, if I copy from T61 to usb stick or usb hdd  my copy speed is 13-15MByte /s under Windows XP I hade 28 29 MByte/s
    If I download a file or copy big files to my usb HDD I only reach a speed of 15MByte / s
    what can be the reason?
    Do I need Bios upgrade?
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hello,
    I believe the upgrade assistance for Windows 8 will notify you of incompatible applications during the upgrade process.
    You could also download Lenovo's ThinkVantage System Update application and run it afterwards, just to see if it does detect any drivers or ThinkVantage software updates (as unlikely as that sounds for this generation of computer).
    Regards,
    Aryeh Goretsky
    I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
    S230u (3347-4HU) • X220 (4286-CTO) • W510 (4318-CTO) • W530 (2441-4R3) • X100e (3508-CTO) • X120e (0596-CTO) • T61p (6459-CTO) • T43p (2678-H7U) • T42 (2378-R4U) • T23 (2648-LU7)
      Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español Русскоязычное Сообщество

• Windows 7, T61 SLLOOOOOW Post boot

Hi,
    I have a T61 2.0Ghz, 4GB laptop which I have recently installed Windows 7 beta on.
    From the initial Lenovo screen to the next POST screen (Intel AMT), it takes 40 seconds and then Windows boots up normally.
    Windows is working perfectly with no problems with the drivers.
    Has anyone else come across this problem , and if so, is therea fix?
    Thanks alot!

Hey, I have similar case with vista and posted here http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&thread.id=36197

• Windows Vista + T61 SLOWWW!!!

Hello all,
    I have some problems with my customers using T61 and Windows Vista. Hope I am not the only one...
    The Problem is simple: IT´S VERY SLOW
    Yes, i know: It´s always to slow. But it takes 5 to 10 sec. until Microsoft Word starts, no other programs are running.
    After a recovery reinstall and a full update (Lenovo updates and Windows Vista) it works fine.
    But after installing Office, MindManager and Adobe Creative Suite the performance goes extremly down.
    I searched over the Internet and found something about the IndexerServices and other "Perfomance" tools from Windows Vista.
    Are this services responsible for this performance problems?
    I don´t believe that I am the only one who experienced this problem. Did anyone else expect the same performance problem?
    Currently, i have 3 ThinPad T61 Series with 2GB RAM, both had the same problem so I don´t think it´s a hardware problem.
    Any tipps? 
    Should I leave the notebooks running 1-2 hours alone, so that windows can optimize himself?
    Please help!
    Best wishes from Bavaria!
    Thomas

Hello,
    Thomas:  Have you checked to see if any of the programs that always run at startup which were installed with Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office and MindManager can be disabled without affecting the function of the programs?  If so, try temporarily disabling them using the System Configuration Utility (filename:  MSCONFIG.EXE) and see if there is any change in the computer's performance.
    Jim:  One thing I have noticed about all anti-virus programs is that they do not seem to perform very well when installed on a system which had other anti-virus software on it unless the previously-installed anti-virus program was thoroughly removed.  Most anti-virus vendors offer a "manual" uninstall program to remove any orphaned programs, services, file system filter drivers, registry entries and other stuff which may have been left on the system after "normal" uninstallation.  Try downloading the latest version of your existing anti-virus, the manual uninstallation program for your old anti-virus program, uninstall your current anti-virus program, run the manual uninstallation program for your old anti-virus program, and then (re)install your new anti-virus program.  Chances are, system performance will now be greatly improved.
    Regards,
    Aryeh Goretsky
    I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
    S230u (3347-4HU) • X220 (4286-CTO) • W510 (4318-CTO) • W530 (2441-4R3) • X100e (3508-CTO) • X120e (0596-CTO) • T61p (6459-CTO) • T43p (2678-H7U) • T42 (2378-R4U) • T23 (2648-LU7)
      Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español Русскоязычное Сообщество

• SoundMax audio driver did not load after returning from StandBy.

After my computer returns from StandBy, it shows me this message. "The SoundMax audio driver did not load. You may need to reinstall SoundMAX". I have downloaded and installed the latest driver that was supposed to fix this issue on Windows XP T61. Is there another solution?

Hi,
    I wanted to confirm, that this issue occurs also to me, and started happening recently. Also the driver sometimes does not start when simply booting clean (not returning from StandBy). I'm not sure,  but I think this started happening after some driver update (I do upgrade my drivers when lenovo updates them hoping they'll fix some of the annoying glitches, but this is what I usually get...).
    My machine is: lenovo t61 7664-19G
    And I also have: windows XP
    If someone more tech-able would like to investigate this, I would be happy to supply all the details.

• Windows 7 too slow on T61

Hello,
    I decided to ask for some help after having tried several ways of getting my T61 configured properly with windows 7 without success.
    Previous history: My T61 was bought with a XP pro downgrade from vista, and it worked extremally well for two years. More, a few month ago, I installed windows 7 Pro 64 bit with a non-lenovo DVD to which my place work is licensed for. A this time there was no system update 4, but system update 3.14 for vista. By installing 3.14 and running the updates and skipping the compatibility warnings, the result was an extraordinary (!) good installation. I had to go to the lenovo website to download updates not listed in the system update. I ran windows 7 64 bit in this way until last week. It was very good in booting time, smooth responsive and very stable. So no problem! I then updated to system update 4, which is very slow in loading and which I disabled. Again, no problem in perfomance issues. This is the fastest lenovo I had. It is an UZ0AQGE with the processor of an UZ0AMGE (2.5 GHZ) and 2GB RAM. I use fortran and matlab extensively, no problem. Everything was fine, from the installation or detection of new hardwares etc, inlcuding the latest BIOS which was amaziny only an optional update in system update 4 (instead of critical). Only was missing presentation director but this is lenovo´s problem. Conclusion, this T61 with windows 7 64bit was a beauty.
    Last week I decided to reformat the drive and make a fresh installation to use the laptop for other purposes. Before reformatting the hard drive for a fresh install, I uninstalled from the windows control pannel all the softwares one by one just to see how the computer behaves. Here the OS became suddenly extremally slow. I do not rememeber if this was after or before having changed settings into BIOS. Typically my changes where in the I/O devices in security to enable or disable unecessary stuff like bluetooth or modem. I reset to F9 and rebooted, no success to get it running as before. The OS is very slow, windows take time to appear and disappears. The event viewer pops up very slowly with a pre-gui "Adding snap-in to console" that stays for a few seconds. The OS became unusable anymore. Recall this is the original installation which was really good. I checked virus scan, no issue found. Obviously i suspected that this uninstall of softwares is at the origin of the bugs.
    Here goes the new install, with the same DVD I used a few months ago, fresh intall with full reformat of the drive. Without any software from lenovo or windows update, the OS is as slow to boot (40-120 seconds, compared to previous 25-30 seconds). The updates where now done with system update 4 directly and not the 3.14. System update does not propose the graphic driver, whereas the website does, nor does it propose the intel chipset driver (which I still do not know if I need to install...). I tried many configurations, from system update 4.0 or from the lenovo`s website, with or without the chipset update, with or without the storage manager driver. With or without fingerprint and/or powe manager etc. The Audio worked badly from the windows DVD, and installing the soundmax from system update fixed the audio issue but did not solve the overall problem. I did something like 4-5 fresh installs to figure out the bug. No chance at all. I downloaded thinkvantage toolbox and it sees no problem. Nor does windows 7 troubleshooting. But the event viewer, always as slow with snap-ins points at several bugs, mmc.exe, SMSINit, TPPWRIF, FontCache, explorer.exe,wordpad.exe,BackgroundprefetchTime, and others I do not remember! I also tried to disable all I/O ports in BIOS. I disbaled security chip, AMT. Enabling them did not help. On thing strange, is that the BIOS default settings disables the Serial Port. Is this normal? I tried with Serial port enabled and it did not help. I tried with the parallel port with disable and default settings. I tried with a windows 7 32 bit version and it did not help neither. I also tried with the lenovo storage manager driver on a USB flash loaded during the DVD installation such that windows 7 takes it into account during installation. Once the OS loaded, I checked that system update 4 does not present it as an update, as expected, but this did not solve the problem.
    Is there an obvious solution or way-through I go to? I do not know at all if this is an OS problem or computer problem, such as BIOS or else. I tried booting with msconfig in safe boot mode, but it did not solve the problem at all. I could try with the lenovo XP discs I have and which I know work, but this will require 7 discs to be loaded, so I prefer to ask you before proceeding.
    Thanks for your help,
    xtex
    T61, UZ2AQGE 2.5 Ghz, XP Pro SP3
    T400s, NSF20UK, 2.4 GHz, SSD 128 GB, Vista B

I tried it also on my T61p --> worked.
    The only problem I have: my harddrive gets only a acore of 2.9 --> so there is a issue with the SATA (?) driver or something,...

• Windows XP Pro doesn't recognize new hard drive on T61 thnkpad

Hard drive: 160GB 7200 RPM SATA
                        The Lenovo part number for the new hard drive on my invoice is: 41N5737
                        However, the sticker on the hard drive itself has this Lenovo part number: 42T1057
                        It is made by Hitachi.
    Thinkpad: T61 (8891-CTO)
    OS: Windows XP Pro SP2 (newly purchased, shrink-wrapped)
    This thinkpad had Vista Home on it. I bought the new hard drive for the purpose of loading a just-purchased copy of Windows XP Pro SP2 on it (. After installing the new hard drive:
    1. I turned on the machne and inserted the Windows XP CD.
    2. Files from the CD (drivers, etc.) started being loaded (into memory, I guess).
    3. Then got a prompt to select whether I'd like to install a new version of XP or restore an existing version.
    4. I selected Install a new version.
    5. Then I got a message saying Windows could not find a hard drive on my machine.
    6. Then I restarted, and interrupted the restart to look at the BIOS config settings
    7. I found the hard drive test function, and started the hard drive test.
    8. It took a while, but the hard drive test was successful. So hard drive is OK, and the BIOS is aware of it.
    How can I make Windows XP aware of my new hard drive?
    Thanks for any help....
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Tdc3, welcome to the forum,
    change the BIOS settings in Config > SATA to Compatibility Mode from AHCI.
    Andy  ______________________________________
    Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points
    Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.
      Deutsche Community     Comunidad en Español    English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество
    PepperonI blog 

• T61 - how do I find my Windows XP Serial on a reformatte​d machine?

Hi Guys,
    I've totally reformatted my T61 due to being hit with malware/spyware that pretty much rendered my laptop useless.  This was the second time I've installed Windows using a legit XP disc I had for my desktop, but I used the serial number for that one and not the one on the recovery partition (which I've since wiped).
    The good news is that I have copied the recovery partition over to my USB drive and should have all of the tools needed to rip a DVD. 
    All I really need to do is find out my WindowsXP serial number so I can input it and be done.  I don't want to bother with reformatting for a 3rd time (long story) since getting my laptop just over a month ago!  The current version I have is an OEM verison and appears to have restrictions on it with the number of times it can be installed.
    Anyone have any suggestions?  Will Lenovo have this on record?  I have a gut feeling that calling up Microsoft will be useless.
    Thanks!

The factory install used a volume license number that is used on many thinkpads. You will have to have an OEM XP cd to use that number or the one on the bottom of your thinkpad. A retail cd probably won't accept the number.
    T60 2623-D7U, 3 GB Ram. Dual boot XP and Linux Mint.
    T400 2765-T7U Windows 7
    Registered Linux User #160145
    FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo

• Windows 7 - 32bit or 64bit on Old T61?

I have an old ThinnkPad T61 (6459CTO) now running 32bit Windows XP SP3.  Although XP is telling me there are only 3 GB of RAM, the BIOS says 4 GB are installed.  Both agree that the processor is an Intel Core2 Duo T9300 -- not certain if this is a 32-bit or 64-bit processor and associated chip set.  The original HD is 160 GB.  I'm not planning to upgrade any components but just to wipe the HD and install a new copy of Windows 7 Professional.
    I should know the answer, but I just want to make sure this machine will run the 64-bit version of Windows 7 before I buy it.  Assuming so, are there any good reasons to use the 32-bit version other than cost (e.g., more appropriate demands on exsiting hardware, compatibility with existing MS Office 2007 suite, etc.), or is 64 bits a no-brainer? -- JCW2
    P.S. -- Does anyone know where to get a new genuine Lenovo main battery for this machine?  It now has a 6-cell, but a 9-cell would do if that's all I can find.  How about a replacement BIOS (system) battery, assuming I ever need one?
    P.P.S. -- And does anyone know how to find a Bluetooth Laser Mouse that will work with this old machine?  I tried buying a new one from Lenovo, but it won't stay connected, perhaps because of a newer version of the Bluetooth communication standard?  The buttons on my existing mouse are becoming unreliable.
    Thanks for any and all advice! -- JCW2
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

good to go-- T9300 will run 64bit no problem at all.
    Cheers Paul :-)
    T61,T9300,4gb,SSD,DVDRW,3G,Sata2,14.1-(4:3),IntelX3100,x2usb3 express,Win8.1

• Dont find the correct video drivers for my T61 + windows 7 ultimate + intel pm965 video card

Hi Experts,
    I am keep getting the stop error 0x00000116 failing with a blue screen while im browsing. I have observerd this quite a few times and also I could not find the correct video drivers for my t61 thinkpad in the ibm site. I could see the details as wxp & windows vista but not for win 7. Please find the link below which has all the video drivers fro t61. Please help me find the correct customized video drivers fro my t61 + win 7. Hope you understand my problem.
    By the way i just use for home computing and my win 7 is upto date wiht no extra software and games installed. I dont play games at all on my t61.
    my t61 specificaitons : http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-67883
    If you see the link http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-67853
    if u search in the baove link ,you cannot find the video drivers for t61 + win 7. You have it only for xp & vista in this section. Intel X3100 (940GML, 945GM, GL960, GM965). there are no video drivers for win 7 for t61. my video card info is
    Video chipsets:
    Intel PM965/GM965 graphics. (15.4 inch).
    my video card is Intel PM965 chipset . Please help me to get the correct customized version of the video drivers for my thinkpad as I am getting this problem with video drivers and its getting restarted when I am in the middle of something. But it works find after that. I have tried to install drivers from intel and its saying i have customized version of lenovo drivers and I should contact you guys. I triedcomplete  win 7 update from windows site and installed all patches and still getting the problem intermitently, but after restart it works fine. No hardware or software changes. Its that I need the correct version of video drivers for win 7. Please inform the lenovo about this and ask them to develop the good video drivers for win 7 + t61 model. Hope you understand my situation.
    Please let me know if you need any kind of info so that i can provide.
    thanks for reading the mail.
    Regards,
    Manu

Are you kidding me ? You dont work for Lenovo and you are an active volunteer here in this forums. I have seen your replied many times and wont get paid by Lenovo, you are really crazy for ur stufee .Anyways thanks a lot for the link and the original lenovo staff were notable to provide the link and you could. Well I have tried that what you have said nd still I could not get the link, here you go..
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?doccategoryind=50880&template=%2Fproductpage%2...
    Let me install the drivers from your link and I will reply soon, so who ever search in this forum now , there wont be any problems for t61 windows 7 video drivers because of u. You are awsome.wll reply my results soon.

• Boot Sector problems upgrading to WIndows 7 on T61

I'm trying to upgrade my T61 (bought in Canada with Windows Vista) to Windows 7.  However, the installation aborts partway through, with the message "Windows cannot write to the boot sector".  The most common solutions that I have found online do not work - there doesn't seem to be any problem with my registry - and it appears that the boot sector has become corrupted, although I cannot notice any problem with normal operation.
    One solution I have found to this problem is to use the Windows Vista installation disk to "repair" the boot sector.  However, my T61 didn't come with Vista disks, just the Lenovo R&R package.  I haven't found a way to repair the boot sector this way.
    Without some help I don't think I'll be able to perform the upgrade.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Fixed my own problem.  The Windows 7 installation disk was able to repair the boot sector.  All I needed to do was boot from the Windows 7 disks and follow the instructions for "repair" operating system.

• Tips for blue screen (BSOD) errors with Windows Vista and Intel Turbo Memory on T61/T61p

Important note: The symptoms and solutions described below address only a small subset of the possible causes for blue screen errors, aka BSOD. This information can help address blue screen errors specifically related to Turbo Memory, but may not solve errors related to other issues. Please read through the instructions completely, make sure they apply to your system, and after attempting the solutions please post back with your feedback for the community.
    Some users may experience random blue screen errors with ThinkPad
    systems running Windows Vista with Intel Turbo Memory hardware. These
    blue screens may occur during normal usage on the system or they may
    occur when booting into Windows Vista. Blue screens related to the
    Intel Turbo Memory hardware may reference a stop code of 8086 with
    memory address locations of {0, 0, 0, 0}.
    There are two main steps that you can take to help resolve blue screen issues related to Intel Turbo Memory.
    Step 1: Update Intel Turbo Memory Driver
    If the driver version is before version 1.0.1.1004-7.0.3.1001, please
    update to this version.
    To determine what version of the Intel Turbo Memory driver is installed:
    1.    Click Start, then click Control Panel.
    2.    Click System and Maintenance.
    3.    Click System.
    4.    Click Device Manager.
    5.    Expand the Storage controllers category.
    6.    Double-click Intel Flash Cache Logic Chip.
    7.    Click the Driver tab. Then you will see the driver version (for example, 1.0.1.1004).
    The new driver and installation instructions can be found here.
    Note: The Intel Matrix Storage Driver is updated with this package.
    Step 2: BIOS version
    If your BIOS version is older than those listed below, please update to the version listed.
    How to check your BIOS version:
    Turn off the system.
    Turn on the system.
    While the To interrupt normal startup, press the blue ThinkVantage button message is displayed at the lower-left area of the screen, press the F1 key.
    The
    BIOS Setup Utility menu will be displayed. If you have set a supervisor
    password, the BIOS Setup Utility menu appears after you enter the
    password.
    Check BIOS Version and Embedded Controller Version.
    Turn off the system.
    System BIOS versions:
    ThinkPad T61/T61p (14.1 inch widescreen with IEEE 1394 model) - BIOS version 1.22 (7LET52WW)
    Please
    remember that these updates do not solve every possible system blue
    screen, but they do resolve several problems related to the Intel Turbo
    Memory driver.
    Message Edited by Tim_Lenovo on 11-30-2007 07:03 PM
    Tim Supples
    Lenovo Social Media
    Got a question? Don't PM me, post it on the forum!
    Lenovo Blogs
    X60 Tablet SXGA+ primary, Z61p fully loaded workhorse

Thanks Tim,
    I do have my T61p fully up-to-date to the latest drivers and updates (via System Update and the Drivers&Software web page when the former is not that up-to-date).
    At the moment the most recurrent problem is this:
    http://forum.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&thread.id=55
    which has been longly speculated here:
    http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=47755
    My other angst is the boot-time chkdsk hang-up problem:
    http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=52765&highlight=chkdsk
    I just wonder if this purely a Vista issue when using NV cache, the disk spinning down at almost exactly 1 hour from the beginning of the chdsk operation seems too much of a coincidence.
    This is my T61p configuration:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz
    BIOS version 1.26-1.06
    4GB RAM 2 SO-DIMMs
    nVidia Quadro FX 570m with 512MB VRAM
    WUXGA LCD
    Seagate 7200.2 160 GB
    4GB RAM 2 SO-DIMMs
    Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit (waiting to move to 64bit)
    thanks,
    andrea
    Message Edited by abarbieri on 12-05-2007 03:48 PM
    T61p - 15.4" - T7700 - FX 570M 256MB - 4GB RAM - ST916023AS - 4965AGN - BT - FPR - 9 cell - Vista Ult. x86
    T21p - 14" - PIII 850MHz - S3 Savage/IX 8MB - 512MB RAM - 100GB 7200rpm - WinXP x86

• Problems after installing Windows 7 Professional on Thinkpad T61

I have an old T61 that had Windows Vista installed. I wanted to use Windows 7 but didn't want to wipe out what I already had (for various reasons). So I bought a new disk drive and did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional. The disk drive is a Western Digital Blue Notebook 1TB drive. After installing the drive in the machine, I followed these instructions to install Windows 7: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-74108. I chose to partition the drive into a C: drive (500GB) and a D: drive (431GB). After the install completed, I downloaded all the available Microsoft fixes (this took some time to complete).
    For the Device Driver and Application install, I used the ThinkVantage System Update option. The site indicated that Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 with Service Pack 1 or later was required. I downloaded and installed version 4. There were additional Microsoft fixes for version 4, which I downloaded and installed also. Then I downloaded and installed ThinkVantage System Update 5.03. I then executed System Update and selected all the available updates. They all installed, except for Windows 7 Update Module KB2615763 64bit. This update, after failing, gave the option to install manually but when I click on that option I receive a pop up saying: Installer encountered an error: 0xc8000247. The title of the pop up says Windows Update Standalone Installer.
    I then attempted to install various applications on the machine: FileZilla FTP Client, Google Chrome, Notepad++, PrimoPDF were all installed without problems. When I installed a Cisco VPN Client for 64 bit machines, however, I was knocked off the network. Clicking on the WiFi symbol in the task bar showed that I had only limited connectivity to the network. I tried to do a IPCONFIG /ALL  and neither the WiFi adapter nor the Ethernet LAN adapter showed up in the list. I uninstalled the VPN Client, from the Control Panel, and was immediately able to connect to the network. An IPCONFIG /ALL now showed all the network adapters. I installed/uninstalled the VPN Client several times just to make sure that it was causing the problem of no network connectivity.
    I fgured that there might be updated network adapter drivers available to resolve the problem so I attempted both System Update and Windows Update again. System Update showed nothing available, except Windows 7 Update Module KB2615763 64bit. Windows Update had a message saying "Check for updates for your computer" but when I clicked on "Check for updates" it popped up a message saying "Windows Update cannot check for updates because the service is not running. You may need to restart your machine." I checked and the Windows Update service is running. I stopped and restarted it but received the same message when I tried to check for updates again. I rebooted the machine and tried Windows Update again. Same pop up message.
    I tried the "Fix problems with Windows Update" option in the Control Panel but received a message saying - An error occurred while troubleshooting: A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting. The error details say:
    Package ID: WindowsUpdateDiagnostic
    Path: Unknown
    Error Code: 0x8E5E0247
    Source: Engine
    I tried some of the other troubleshooting options and they all give similar errors - An error occurred while troubleshooting: A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting.
    I then thought it might be a disk drive problem so I tried to do a CHKDSK /F but when the machine reboots the CHKDSK seems to start (there is a message that says it can be interrupted by pressing a key within 10 seconds) then, before the 10 seconds are up, it ends without checking the disk and the machine continues to boot up.
    Has anyone seen any of these problems before? Did I miss something? Could this be related to the disk drive? Or missing device drivers? Bios?
    Any help with this will be appreciated.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

A laptop drive that size is almost certainly an AF drive.  You can check by looking up the model's specs on the vendor's site. You can also use the fsutil command to check the drive's physical sector size and verify that the size isn't getting reported correctly - which is what usually causes the update problem.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982018
    Expand the "Issue 6 Fsutil.exe tool" entry in that link for more info.  The entire KB may also be helpful.
    If my guess is actually the problem you won't have to reinstall Windows 7.  Just update - or roll back  - the driver.  You might first try going to Device Manager, selecting the storage controller, and rolling back to an earlier driver.
    If that works, configure ThinkVantage System Update to not show the offending driver, or this will happen again.  If that doesn't do the job, go to Intel's site and find the latest Matrix Storage Manager or Rapid Storage Technology that is specified for your chipset and operating system.  Or just try the latest and if that doesn't work, try earlier ones.
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductL...
    Here's a local KB addressing this (presumed) issue:  http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-7-Knowledge-Base/Windows-Update-Fails-After-Installing-New-Hard-...
    To repeat, this is a bit of a guess.  It's pretty likely that your storage driver is the culprit.  Either you need one new enough to support the physical size reporting ioctl, or you've been bitten by TVSU "updating" to a buggy driver.  Either way the corrrect driver should fix things.
    Z.
    The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.  The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog
    English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество

• T61 no sound after Windows (Vista) update (?)

I have purchased a T61 in December 2007. The sound has always been low and now i have no sound at all.  I cannot hear files locally or on the Net -- or any of the computer sounds.
    i realize now that it has happened after a Windows (Vista) update.  I have done every step but 6.
    I have Speakers (SoundMax Integrated Digital HD Audio). The sound keeps defaulting to to Line 2 Muv Enum (Virtual Cable). 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948481
    >> Update -- perhaps this will help someone else. After doing steps 1-5 (at support link), I redid step #3 and now it's working.
    Message Edited by Suntea on 06-27-2008 12:50 PM

I have purchased a T61 in December 2007. The sound has always been low and now i have no sound at all.  I cannot hear files locally or on the Net -- or any of the computer sounds.
    i realize now that it has happened after a Windows (Vista) update.  I have done every step but 6.
    I have Speakers (SoundMax Integrated Digital HD Audio). The sound keeps defaulting to to Line 2 Muv Enum (Virtual Cable). 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948481
    >> Update -- perhaps this will help someone else. After doing steps 1-5 (at support link), I redid step #3 and now it's working.
    Message Edited by Suntea on 06-27-2008 12:50 PM

• T61 and Windows 8 compatibility

Has anyone loaded Windows 8 on a ThinkPad T61? Is so, were there any incompatibilities? I currently run Vista Business 32-bit on my T61 but am considering moving on to Windows 8.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

I did a clean install of Win 8 Pro on my T61 about a month ago and am very happy with the results.
    I have the following software and drivers running with no issues whatsoever:
    Lenovo Auto Scroll Utility  v1.11
    Lenovo Patch Utility   v1.3.1.1
    Lenovo Patch Utility 64 bit  v1.3.1.1
    Lenovo Power Management Driver  v1.66.00.17
    Lenovo Settings Dependency Package v1.0.5.6
    Lenovo System Interface Driver  v1.05
    On Screen Display   v6.61.00
    ThinkPad FullScreen Magnifier  v2.40
    ThinkPad Modem    v7.62
    ThinkPad Ultranav Driver  v15.0.18.0
    ThinkVantage Power Manager  v6.36 (Installed using Win 7 compatibility)
    ThinkVantage Active Protection System v1.77.0.9
    ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software v5.9.8.7264 
    Lenovo System Update   v5.01.005
    For the Nvidia video, Intel Wi-Fi and Bluetooth drivers I am using those supplied by Windows update.
    Every function available in my T61 is fully operational!
    E420, i5, 8GB, 500GB/7200, 32GB mSATA, Win 8.1 Pro x64
    T61, 4GB, 500GB Hybrid, Win 8.1 Pro x64

Maybe you are looking for

• Creative MP3 Players and Car Au

Hello, I'm a newbie and I don't know a lot about MP3 players so I hope you can help me out. I have a brand new Kenwood car audio with an USB cable to plug your MP3 player in. My friend's Samsung MP3 player doesn't work, after some research I find out

• Not loaded adobe store, what to do?

Installed Adobe Creative Kloud but the manager for desktop does not work( Sync icon permanently gray! Help me please!

• Import erratic from film camera

Importing from two sony fx1's. Both cameras, although importing the footage, the screen on the computor is frozen with a single still image. I have to watch the camera playback screen in order to see what I am importing.  Any idea why?

• After effects composition preview video not working correctly

Okay so, whenever I try to change something on the composition preview video, it doesn't work. I have to go to a completely different screen and go back to see what ive changed, and when I try to ram preview it doesn't even do anything but play the m

• Replacing the letters in a string

I have an odd set of fields for properties for my client. Some have multiple letters which correspond to a code table. How can I loop through the string and replace the letters with words For example A = central air B = ceiling fan C = A/C Unit If th