Windows 7 randomly locks up on T60

I have had this T60 for over a year. It came with a clean install with Windows 7 Professional.  Over the last 3 weeks it has started locking up randomly.
Powering off/on seems the only way to bring it back.
I've been getting the family to tell we when it happens and what they were doing at the time. No patterns. It happens when they're browsing or using MS Outlook or playing games. At its worst one might only get a few minutes before it happens.
 Mr. Google offered some solutions:
update BIOS
scan for adware, malware, and viruses
make sure all devices in device manager
run a registry cleaner utility
run ThinkPad system update
check if graphics drivers up to date
Run Microsoft memory diagnostics test.
Updating the BIOS seemed to solve things for 2-3 days and then the lock ups came back.
So did running ThinkPad System update, but eventually they came back after a day or two.
There were no ATI graphics drivers for the T60 and Windows 7
Currently the machine is locking up about twice a day and it is being used intermittently for about 2 hours each day. 
I'd do a clean install but I don't have the Win 7 discs and there is no recovery partition as this is not the original HDD.
Any help greatly appreciated.
T60 Tablet; T60 Widescreen; T60; T40; 701C; 3 x Apple Newton MP2100; 2 x HP 200LX
Solved!
Go to Solution.

Fredie5 wrote:
 i had similar issues of Windows 7 locking and freezing. Researchng on the issue, i found this could be because of registry errors. An article, ascribing solution to this issue, suggested Registry Recycler to repair and defrag registry, helped me breaking the locks. Got my system performance revived !!
Thanks for the heads up Fredie5, great little program! 
My older Toshiba laptop started to lock and freeze for no apparent reason.  Windows logs and events showed no indication of the problem and the lock/freeze occurred at random times with no pattern.  I ran across your posting and decided to give Registry Recycler a try.  Bingo, problem solved!  My best guess is that a few weeks earlier I had been trying out different drivers as well as a couple of software applications.  Remnants left behind by their uninstall was most likely the culprit.  Thanks again ! 
Owner & Operator of the following:
● Lenovo Ideapad Z570 w/ Win 7 & Win 8.1 Dual Boot ● Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro w/ Windows 8.1 ● Toshiba A75-S206 w/ Win 7
● IBM Thinkpad T-23 w/ Win XP ● IBM Thinkpad T-22 w/ Win XP • As well as multiple desktops dual/triple booting XP, Vista and Win 7.
★ Find a post helpful? Thank that member by clicking on the ☆Star☆ to the left awarding them a Kudo.
★ Posting a problem and a reply is helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"
★ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks. Enjoy your time here, pay it forward by helping others !
★ Sorry, I don't answer questions via Private Messages. Posting in the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Similar Messages

• P6N-SLI-FI Random Lock-ups

Hi,
    New build listed below.  Works great 99% of the time.  The only issue I have is infrequent random lock-ups.  The lock-ups occur either during windows start-up, or randomly while doing some non-stressing task (like web browsing or word processing).  Currently at 2.4GHz, but have had it higher.  I lowered it to 2.4 to see if it made any difference, but it seems about the same.
    Since "lock-up" can mean a lot of different things I will describe it.  The screen freezes totally.  Does not respond to any input (CTR-ALT-DEL) etc.  It often seems to occur in the middle of HDD access, and the HDD light stays on continuously.  Hard reset is required to fix.
    It has not locked up during a game, burning or transcoding a DVD or when running any stress tests.  It happens VERY INFREQUENTLY (I just had my first one in about a week) and is not repeatable.  The only other bit of info I can come up with is that is seems that it usually occurs during HDD access, and the HDD light is stuck on.
    I almost wish I had the problem more often.  If I had this problem regularly I would feel pretty comfortable troubleshooting, but as it is I could spend a lot of time changing things around and "think" I fixed it only to have it come back a week later.
    My thoughts are either a RAM issue or my PSU.  Thoughts?

Quote from: JoeFriday on 20-March-07, 12:18:23
    Hi,
    New build listed below.  Works great 99% of the time.  The only issue I have is infrequent random lock-ups.  The lock-ups occur either during windows start-up, or randomly while doing some non-stressing task (like web browsing or word processing).  Currently at 2.4GHz, but have had it higher.  I lowered it to 2.4 to see if it made any difference, but it seems about the same.
    Since "lock-up" can mean a lot of different things I will describe it.  The screen freezes totally.  Does not respond to any input (CTR-ALT-DEL) etc.  It often seems to occur in the middle of HDD access, and the HDD light stays on continuously.  Hard reset is required to fix.
    It has not locked up during a game, burning or transcoding a DVD or when running any stress tests.  It happens VERY INFREQUENTLY (I just had my first one in about a week) and is not repeatable.  The only other bit of info I can come up with is that is seems that it usually occurs during HDD access, and the HDD light is stuck on.
    I almost wish I had the problem more often.  If I had this problem regularly I would feel pretty comfortable troubleshooting, but as it is I could spend a lot of time changing things around and "think" I fixed it only to have it come back a week later.
    My thoughts are either a RAM issue or my PSU.  Thoughts?
    Do you have all the necessary options for overclocking disabled, C1E, EIST, all the spread spectrums. Also what are your cpu voltage and NB voltage set at...those two seem to have the most effect on system stability when ocing. Also what are your memory settings... I have your same memory and it refuses to work at anything but its advertised setting (800mhz at 4-4-4-15)

• Windows 7 locking after 1 minute

OK, so starting off, i have read over all of the other posts and have found none of them work.
    My computer locks after 1 minute, this started today, i have not changed any settings, nor have I recently as I have had this computer for a while.  I have looked at all of the settings and i have all of the sleep/hibernation functions turned off. 
    I have the "lock screen on wake up" function also turned off.  I do however have it set to dim, and then turn off the display after 1 minute, but this has nothing to do with the sleep function.  It does not dim the display before locking, only after,
    as if it wasnt locked, please give me anything you can to help as this randomness is very irritating.

I don't think Arthur Xie's response should be marked as the answer.  This doesn't sound like it has any relevance to Craig's original question, and hasn't been corroborated by anyone.  It threw me off the scent when I encountered the exact same
    problem - Windows 7 locking me out after 1 minute and requiring password re-entry
    It turns out that Ramesh's answer was the one that worked for me.  Somehow my machine got set to wait 1 minute and "on resume, display logon screen" was ticked.  Don't know how this happened.
    I initially missed this, because the selected screensaver was "(none)", so I assumed all the settings on this page were irrelevant.  It does raise the interesting usability point that a screen saver of "(none)" can still blank the screen, even
    though the user hasn't purposely selected the "Blank" screensaver.

• Computer randomly locks up when firewire drives are connected?

Here's what I have:
    - 2011 27" iMac i7
    - 2011 15" MacBook Pro i7
    I recently replaced all of my USB hard drives with Firewire drives, mostly as a speed and simplification measure. Under USB, I had to have a series of hubs which seemed to slow things down pretty dramatically, as well as cause a lot of weird behavior, like randomly ejecting. And, of course, there was the inevitable birds nest of wires. So, since there was no way to add USB ports to the iMac, except for hubs, I decided to move FireWire and daisy chain them.
    This was all connected to a dedicated iMac workstation, the MacBook was never connected to the drives.
    The drives were added a few days before a complete system overhaul was done. The system had been acting funny. We're little things here and there (finder often had to be relaunched after a restart, wifi was not able to automatically connect, etc.), and the system was starting to lock up on a somewhat regular basis. So, Lion was installed fresh and nothing was restored from Time Machine except for a few applications here and there (nothing system related). Once the system was all freshly installed, the little quirks were gone, but the random locking up was not. And it was getting worse.
    So, I did some of the trouble shooting I had done in the past; created a new user, repaired permissions, repaired the disk, etc. It wasn't fixing anything, just getting worse. I finally did an extended Apple Hardware Test and got the error: 4M0T/4/40000003: HDD-1285
    I couldn't find anything on the web about it. So I called AppleCare, they didn't know what it was either. So I took the computer into the Apple Store. They eventually got back to me saying the hard drive and the fan had failed and that they were in the process of fixing it.
    However, in the mean time, I moved the MacBook Pro over to the workstation where the iMac had been. Low and behold, within a few hours, I was seeing exactly the same symptoms I'd seen on the iMac. If the Firewire drives were plugged in, the computer would randomly lock up, and again, not even necessarily when the drives were reading or writing. It appears to be completely random. Sometimes specific applications will lock up, like Mail, VLC or System Preferences. Force quitting the application has no effect. The window won't disappear, even if I attempt to log out or shut the computer down. The screen will change to the grey background, but the window will never go away. It'll just sit there with the pin wheel forever. The only option at this point is to force the system to shut down with the power button.
    This only happens when Firewire is connected.
    I've tried swapping out the cable with no luck, the same problem is true. I have five drives daisy chained like this:
    WD MyBook 2TB --> WD MyBook 2TB --> WD MyBook 2TB --> LaCie d2 Quadra v3 2TB --> LaCie d2 Quadra v3 2TB
    Now, admittedly, I have never daisy chained, so I don't know if I've made some bad mojo for myself by my device order, or by mixing brands or something, or if it's even possible that maybe one of the drives is faulty and it's screwing things up for me. I just don't know, and troubleshooting is challenging becuase I can't make the problem happen, it just happenes whenever it feels like it.
    I have to get this issue resolved. I could switch back to USB, but I'd hate to do that because I spent a substantial amount of money on the drives specifically to avoid using USB
    Insight into this would really be appreciated.

I am having the exact same problem. Th eone difference is that on occasion, iTunes downloads my playlists yet not the associated songs in the playlist.

• Touchpad randomly locks itself and wont unlock on Satellite P50-A

Don't know if anyone can help me out but i recently bought a P50-A laptop and i am having issues with the touch-pad.
    Basically what is happening is that every now and then my touch-pad randomly locks itself and then wont allow me to unlock and will unlock once I have reset the laptop.
    I have checked the drivers and everything appears to be working fine and there appears to be no hardware conflicts.
    Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Please check this Toshiba document about available touchpad settings under Windows 8
    http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/HTD3101Z30000R01.htm
    I recommend disabling or changing the PalmCheck settings within the touchpad pointing area.
    Greets and feedback would be appreciated.

• Random Lock ups

I'm using K9N2-SLI plat with Bios 3.5, AMD64 X2 6400+ Black Ed., 4GB ram (2x2GB Cas 4-4-4-12 T2 matched set), XFX 8800GTS(92) 512, Corsair TX650, Artic Cooler Freezer64 CPU H/S running Vista64 Home Premium Sp2. I'm having random lock-ups during 3D games. Sometimes it locks up after 30 mins in game or sometimes it locks up after days of playing, I can't get it to reproduce the lock up at will. I have read alot of post about this motherboard and it seems it comes down to power supply. I had a New Apevia Beast 2 rail system but after reading the posts I returned it for new Corsair TX650. At full load CPU cores never go above 47c and Idles around 30-31. Ran mem test over night with no errors. Did notice in Mem Test it stated Ram was set at Cas 4-5-5-18 T2. I went to BIOS and set the mem for Volt 2.0 Cas 4-4-4-12 T2. This did reduce the lock-ups to the point I thought I had it fixed. Than today I locked up twice. When it locks up computer becomes unresponsive last sound repeats for few seconds and the only way to resume is to press restart button. I have tried with Cool n'quite on and off, DOT is never been on. Computer runs fine in 2d operations. It's only when I go into 3d games. Video Card has been tested in other machine and is working fine. My game sometime requires me to stay logged in over night to Sell goods. Every morning this last week computer has froze sometime during the night. Crysis plays fine for hours, It seems it happens in not so demanding games, Aion, Knight Online and Wow. All power plugs are plugged, fresh install of Vista, Newest drivers from web site, Bios update via the Forum USB key app. Would really like a reliable computer. What am I missing? Let me know if you need any other info.

OK I ran single stick and it locked up quicker. I went to BIOS used optimized defaults with only changing the volts to 2.0. and it locked up again. It's lockups seem longer if I change mem setting to 4-4-4-12 T2. I used CPU Z and noticed few things.
    The memory report from CPU-Z:
    DIMM #            1
       SMBus address      0x50
       Memory type      DDR2
       Module format      Regular UDIMM
       Manufacturer (ID)   A-Data Technology (7F7F7F7FCB000000)
       Size         2048 MBytes
       Max bandwidth      PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
       Part number      EXTREME DDR2 800+
       Number of banks      2
       Data width      64 bits
       Correction      None
       Nominal Voltage      1.80 Volts
       EPP         yes (2 profiles)
       XMP         no
    JEDEC timings table      CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
       JEDEC #1      3.0-3-3-9-12 @ 200 MHz
       JEDEC #2      4.0-4-4-12-16 @ 266 MHz
       JEDEC #3      5.0-5-5-18-23 @ 400 MHz
    EPP timings table      CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC-CR @ frequency (voltage)
       EPP profile #1 (full)   4.0-4-4-12-22-2T @ 400 MHz (2.000 Volts)
       EPP profile #2 (full)   4.0-4-4-11-20-2T @ 400 MHz (2.000 Volts)
    since I was using EPP profile 1 I noticed that motherboard is running my memory at 4-4-4-12-24(EPP profile shows should be 22)-2T. Should I change to match memory? or should I try JEDEC #3 @ 400MHZ
    Next thing I noticed was The chipset is stated as 740a not the 750a
    Chipset
    Northbridge      NVIDIA nForce 740a SLI rev. A2
    Southbridge      NVIDIA nForce 740a SLI MCP rev. A2
    Graphic Interface      PCI-Express
    PCI-E Link Width      x16
    PCI-E Max Link Width   x16
    Memory Type      DDR2
    Memory Size      4096 MBytes
    Channels         Dual
    Memory Frequency              400.0 MHz (CPU/7)
    CAS# latency (CL)              4.0
    RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD)   4
    RAS# Precharge (tRP)           4
    Cycle Time (tRAS)               12
    Bank Cycle Time (tRC)          24
    Command Rate (CR)             2T
    I've tried loser setting 5-5-5-18 and still locks up.

• Adobe Bridge CC locks out my access to hard drive after opening-window shows lock but will not unloc

Why does my user window show locked after opening Adobe Bridge CC?  I can access all other external drives...

What are you calling the user window?  If the Folders view this should be same a OS view of folders.

• Lost use of all extensions with update to 3.6.11 ... Add ons window is locked

This morning, FF updated to 3.6.11. When I loaded FF no add ons were visible on the upper or lower tool bars. When I opened the Add Ons window, it locks up and will not allow me to access any options, disable, or uninstall. It also does not allow me to check for updates.

Start Firefox in [[Safe Mode]] to check if one of your add-ons is causing your problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Tools > Add-ons > Themes).<br />
    See [[Troubleshooting extensions and themes]] and [[Troubleshooting plugins]]<br />
    <br />
    If it does work in Safe-mode then disable all your extensions and then try to find which is causing it by enabling one at a time until the problem reappears.<br />
    You can use "Disable all add-ons" on the [[Safe mode]] start window to disable all extensions.<br />
    You have to close and restart Firefox after each change via "File > Exit" (Mac: "Firefox > Quit"; Linux: "File > Quit")<br />

• Window randomly becomes inactive

My macbook air occasionally gets in the mode where the current window randomly becomes inactive while typing. What causes this and how do i fix it?

Try using an application called Onyx, this will clean disk permissions and clean the system. This will hopefully solve any problems it may have, Hope this helps

• PE 9 Slideshow editor window is locked half off screen

In Photoshop Elements 9 I was editing a slideshow in Organizer on a  dual monitor setup.  In the slideshow editor window,  I clicked the full  screen option, and  the window moved to a position on the right of the  screen, half off the screen (see attached pic).  I can't use it in that  position, nor move the window back, nor resize it.
    I've restored all the defaults I can think of, restarted the program,  rebooted the computer, but still when I open slideshow editor, the  editor window is locked in that unusable position.
    How do I move the window, reset the default position, or erase whatever file tells PE9 to place the window there?           

Partial solution
    I got PE9 working by deactivating the second monitor and then reopening  PE9 on one monitor.  Then when I edit the slideshow, the edit window  opens on the primary monitor, and continues to do after I reactivate the  second monitor, so I can do the editing. 
    The problem now is that the edit window fills the entire screen, and  there doesn't appear to be a way to get it back to its original size,  ie, I can't shrink the window.  Any ideas?

• Seeing continous "Windows Account Locked" alert in Cisco IPS

Hi,
    Can any one have any idea on why we are seeing huge number of "Windows Account Locked" alert in Cisco IPS device towards only one Windows server.
    We checked whether Windows server is generating any malicious traffic by scanning the server but nothing is found
    Feb 23 2011 20:05:47
    Windows Account Locked
    Cisco Intrusion Prevention System
    Feb 23 2011 20:05:32
    Windows Account Locked
    Feb 23 2011 20:04:47
    Windows Account Locked
    Feb 23 2011 20:04:32
    Windows Account Locked
    Feb 23 2011 20:03:47
    Windows Account Locked
    Feb 23 2011 20:03:32
    Windows Account Locked
    Feb 23 2011 20:02:47
    Windows Account Locked
    Feb 23 2011 20:02:32
    Windows Account Locked

Mustafa,
    Here are the signature details:
    http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/viewIpsSignature.x?signatureId=5605&signatureSubId=0&softwareVersion=6.0&releaseVersion=S262
    This signature detects a Windows SMB user account  that has been locked on the Windows server due to multiple failed logon  attempts, via the "STATUS_ACCOUNT_LOCKED_OUT" message returned to the  client.
    This signature severity is set by default to 'informational'
    Hence all the signature is doing is leeting you know some users were locked out due to multiple logon attempts.
    The event details will also reveal victim ip which might be the machine on which the logon attempts were tried.
    Let me know if this addresses your concern.
    - Sid

• How can I shut down when printer window is locked?

How can I proceed to shut down when printer window is locked?

Thank you, i will try this option. Only thing is i did read another person having this problem and he did shut down his computer and now his photo library in unaccessible!!! Ugh. I do have an external back up hard drive. I sure hope that my photos are on there to reload into iPhoto!!!!
    I did try to place my mouse over the iPhoto icon @ the dock and held down the control key with no results in shutting down the application.

• Mac Book Pro (4.1) Randomly Locks Up/Not Responsive to Anything

My Mac Book Pro (OSx 10.5.5) seemingly randomly locks up after ~10ish hours of being on. This started about a week ago (purchased in late February) after nothing new being installed. I'm of course never in my office to see this happen, but what I see when I come back is a computer with a black monitor, not responsive to the keyboard at all (caps lock light won't even turn on, space doesn't "wake it up", etc), and not responsive to USB devices (iphone won't charge, external keyboard doesn't do anything). The LED on the open the lid button is in a solid dimly lit state. When I attempt to close the screen the same LED is in a solid (non-blinking) state though brighter. Again, USB peripherals have no effect on the state of the machine. When I open the screen it's exactly as described above. The only solution I've found is the power button which is incredibly frustrating since a) I lost some work and b) I lost a 3 GB download in the middle for the third time now. Help??? Thanks,
    Doovie

Have you run Repair Disk from Disk utilities while booted from your OS installer disk? Is your MBP set to sleep if not used while on?

• IPad 3rd Gen iOS 7.1.1 - screen randomly locking and more!

Okay, since just this morning, my iPad has been randomly locking. It worked fine last night. Also the home button stops working half the time and occasionally my iPad kind of freezes then captures the screen when I try pressing the lock button. And occasionally after it hasn't locked itself in a while, it will come up with the shutting down screen..
    None of my apps have updated for weeks, I haven't edited any settings and I haven't downloaded any new apps. I've tried turning it off and back on, rebooting and resetting all settings (I haven't tried wiping all data because it hasn't been updated since December..)
    Please help! Is it my lock button playing up? Maybe a software bug that took a while to surface? Or did one of my games update without me knowing and cause all this?

Swingflaps-
    One thing you can try is to reset (reboot) your iPad.  Hold both the Home and Sleep buttons for several seconds until the Apple logo appears.  Ignore the "Slide to power off" arrow.  The iPad will restart after a couple of minutes.  Resetting this way will not hurt anything, and sometimes clears up mysterious problems.
    Fred

• IPod randomly locking up

I have a 20gb 4th gen iPod with click wheel. Recently it has started to randomly lock up. When is does I do a reset (hold menu and select) and it comes back to life. Sometimes it will work for hours after a reset, other times it may only play a couple of songs and then lock up again.
    Any thoughts on this or is this a sign of worse things to come?
    Thanks in advance,
    Greg

First, try a system reset.  It cures many ills and it's quick, easy and harmless...
    Hold down the on/off switch and the Home button simultaneously until the screen blacks out or you see the Apple logo.  Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it appears.  You will not lose any apps, data, music, movies, settings, etc.
    If the Reset doesn't work, try a Restore.  Note that it's nowhere near as quick as a Reset.  From iTunes, select the iPad/iPod and then select the Summary tab.  Follow directions for Restore and be sure to say "yes" to the backup.  You will be warned that all data (apps, music, movies, etc.) will be erased but, as the Restore finishes, you will be asked if you wish the contents of the backup to be copied to the iPad/iPod.  Again, say "yes."

Maybe you are looking for