Winodows 7 to Windows 8 on T530

I have T530 with Win 7 pre-loaded. I created backup media via Lenovo Tools already.
Now I am planning to either upgrade it to Windows 8 or have a clean installation of WIn 8, which I need some advice and have the folwoing questions. Hopefully someone on this forum can answer.
(1) If I do a clean installation of Win 8, the Lenovo tools installed on my current Win 7 will be gone, right? Is there any way I can manually install those tools after Win 8 installation? If yes, where do I get the software?
(2) If I do a clean installation of Win 8, and later for some reason if I want to come back to Win 7, can I use the backup media I created already to come back to the factory setting? From some threads here, I noticed someone mentioned I can't wipe out the SYSTEM_DRIVE, otherwise I can't come back(or use backup media). Is this true?
(3) If I do an upgrade to Win 8, will I be able to keep all the existing Lenovo tools installed on Win 7 now?
(4) Between Clean Installation and UPgrade of Win 8, which one do you recommend?
Thanks a lot.

I tried to answer you questions below.  But I wonder what you are looking for in Win8, that Win7 doesn't provide for you.  It seems you value Win7 tools and Win7 experience, so I'm afraid you might not be happy with Win8.  Personally, I still use Win7 because it does everything I need it to.
>> If I do a clean installation of Win 8, the Lenovo tools installed on my current Win 7 will be gone, right?
Correct.
>> Is there any way I can manually install those tools after Win 8 installation? If yes, where do I get the software?
Many of the Win7 tools are not supported on Win8, for example Power Manager and Access Connections.  For the ones that are, they can be downloaded from the support website and/or the Windows Store.
>> If I do a clean installation of Win 8, and later for some reason if I want to come back to Win 7, can I use the backup media I created already to come back to the factory setting?
I'm not sure how you created the backup media.  But my advice is to use the Win7 built-in "Backup and Restore" feature to create a system image and system repair disc.  Then, if you don't like Win8 you can use these things to go back to your Win7 configuration exactly as it exists today.
>> From some threads here, I noticed someone mentioned I can't wipe out the SYSTEM_DRIVE, otherwise I can't come back(or use backup media). Is this true?
Not true, if you follow my advice above about using "Backup and Restore" that is built into Win7.
>> If I do an upgrade to Win 8, will I be able to keep all the existing Lenovo tools installed on Win 7 now?
No.  The Win8 installer will force you to uninstall some of the tools.  Other tools will stay but they may not function properly on Win8.
>> Between Clean Installation and UPgrade of Win 8, which one do you recommend?
I definitely recommend clean install.  In my personal experience, OS upgrade never works well.

Similar Messages

• T530 Number Pad Functionality?

Apologies in advance if this has already been addressed -- I have searched for a solution but have been unable to find one. If you know of a place where a solution to my problem has already been posted, please let me know.
    One thing that I've always found frustrating about my Windows 7 T530 (which is nearly perfect for me in every other respect) is its apparent lack of a number pad. I use a lot of alt codes for typing non-standard characters, and these codes only work when typed through the number pad -- not through the number row near the top of the keyboard. I experimented with switching my keyboard over to the US International layout, but this broke some keyboard shortcuts that I use very often (plus it's a bit cumbersome in general) so I didn't find it to be a satisfactory solution.
    Is there any way to get number pad functionality on a T530 short of attaching an external keyboard? It's a hassle to have to manually cut and paste special characters out of Character Map whenver I'm writing in languages that use accent marks. I count myself among those who wish that Lenovo had stuck with the old-style laptop keyboards rather than switching to the new chiclet ones, and this is one of the main reasons why. If I could get the number pad working on this thing then I would be overjoyed. Thanks in advance.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

For Windows 7
    Windows On-Screen Keyboard
    Or you can right click anywhere on your taskbar -> Toolbars -> select Tablet PC Input panel.
    Then you just click on the tablet icon on your taskbar to call up the on screen keyboard.
    For Windows 8
    Right click anywhere on your taskbar -> Toolbars -> select Touch Keyboard.
    Click on the small keyboard icon on your taskbar to call up the on screen keyboard.
    Simples.
    ThinkPad W540 (20BG) - i7-4800MQ/24GB // ThinkPad T440s (20AQ) - i7-4600U/12GB
    ThinkPad T440p (20AW) - i7-4800MQ/16GB // ThinkPad Helix (3698-6EU) - i5-3337U/4GB
    ThinkPad W520 (4282-W4Q) - i7-2720QM/32GB // ThinkPad T400 (2767-W1C) - P9500/8GB
    ThinkPad T61 (7665-CTO) - T7700/4GB // ThinkPad T60p (8741-C2G) - T7400/4GB

• How to Install Windows 8 RTM on a T530 - special tips for NVS5400

Windows 8 RTM may be a finished product, but getting all devices to work on a laptop can be difficult.  I hope that this advice saves time for anyone who wishes to try out Windows 8 on a new Thinkpad.  Needless to say, what worked for me may not work in your situation, and I recommend staying with Windows 7 if reliability and productivity are your main concerns.  Remember that you will need to reinstall Windows 8 when it is officially released, because there is no upgrade path from the Enterprise RTM preview.
    1.  Image your working installation with Acronis TrueImage or similar tools.  These instructions are for a clean install.
    2.  Before logging off for the last time, be sure that the Wifi and Bluetooth are enabled.  If Bluetooth is switched off, Windows 8 will not be able to see it.
    3.  If you are using Windows 8 64 bit, I recommend switching the BIOS to UEFI only.  This seems to make everything easier.  UEFI doesn't recognize NTFS, so you must format a USB drive with FAT32 and then simply copy the contents of the Windows 8 ISO over to the USB.  For Windows 8 32 bit, leave the legacy boot compatibility enabled.
    4.  Install from the DVD or USB key.  If you are using UEFI, you will have to delete all existing partitions and install on the unallocated space.  UEFI requires a GPT partition, which it will create automatically.
    Drivers -- the difficult part
    Set a system restore point now and another one before installing any new video drivers.
    I first installed the Windows 7 Intel chipset driver update.  I am not sure this is necessary, but it updates the SATA and USB3 drivers.
    I installed the Lenovo power management driver from the Lenovo Windows 8 driver page, and then installed the Power Manager App from the T530 page.  It will occasionally crash when opened, but will work well enough to change settings.  I also installed the Windows 7 hotkey application, which works in Win8.  Likewise, the Windows 7 audio drivers work.
    If the Windows 7 Ricoh driver for your laptop doesn't load, try the Windows 8 beta version.  One works, the other refuses to load.  I'm afraid I don't remember which is which.
    I installed the Intel Management adapter 8.1 from the Windows 8 beta page, and it loaded with no problems.
    If you don't have a NVS5400, then you should be done.  If you do, then you must NOT install the Windows 7 video drivers.  They will cause an endless loop on boot.  Update the Intel video driver manually if you wish (via device manager).  You can run the Win7 driver program, let it extract the contents, and then cancel before it starts the setup program.  I am using 9.17.10.2768 for the Intel HD 4000.
    I went to the Nvidia site to get the latest Win8 beta NVS5400 (mobile) driver.  Choose the ODE version.  I am using version 304.79.   I installed this (leaving out 3D, which I don't use) and it seems to work perfectly.  Photoshop CS5 recognizes it as a valid OpenGL device.

It depends on your uses. See > https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3321 Windows 8 works properly in Boot Camp, always that your iMac is compatible > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US You can only use the 64-bit Windows 8 edition.
    Respecting to your processor, you may want to contact with Apple, as they may have sent you the iMac with a wrong processor

• Error message installing WIndows 32bit on T530

I have a T530 laptop that I am trying to install WIndows 7 32-bit version from an ISO but I get the following error message right after I click the "Install" button during setup.
    "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD or USB flash drive, please insert it now."
    I can not get past this to perform the install.  I have checked several forums and some stated to make sure the CD/DVD rom was placed first in your startup devices (check), pull drivers from lenovo website and try to point the set up to the device drivers (check),  try to redownload the ISO file (check), make sure you have your SATA settings to AHCI (check), try using a USB-DVD ROM (check).  Has anyone else seen or have been able to resolve this issue?
    SIde note: I have tried install Windows 7 64-bit edition and it installed fine on the same machine.

Hi ncook6, welcome to the forum,
    Do I read your post correctly that you are trying to install from an USB drive? 
    If so have you inserted the USB drive in an USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 port?  When installing from USB you must use a USB 2.0 port; Win 7 doesn't have the USB 3.0 drivers, but it does have them for 2.0.
    Andy  ______________________________________
    Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points
    Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.
      Deutsche Community     Comunidad en Español    English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество
    PepperonI blog 

• T530 Windows 8, can't turn adaptive dimming off

I've gone thorugh these forums, but it seems none of the solutions work on my T530 regarding trying to disable the adaptive dimming off. I've set the Intel Graphics power features to "Plugged in" and "Maximum Performance" settings, then I have also Disabled the Adaptive Dimming in Windows 8 power settings (made even a new profile where I've put everything regarding brightness to maximum settings and disabled the adaptive dimming.). Nothing helps. When ever I switch a program with darker background, e.g. Spotify, the dimming happens, switching back and it will brighten the screen. It's is driving me totally mad.
    Is this an issue with the Windows 8 drivers perhaps? Any ideas what to try next?
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Never mind. It seemed that the new settings took effect only after a reboot.

• T530, Windows 8/8.1 Multiple Screen Random Automatic and Frequest Discontect/Re-connect

I'm running 3 external monitors on a Lenovo T530 docked laptop. With Windows 7 on my previous lenovo T500 it was running perfectly. Since 'upgrading' (and I use the term loosely) my laptop and OS to Windows 8.1, at the most inopportune times, randomly and frequently throughout the work day, everyday, all the monitors will cut out, making the disconnected sound. They will briefly, maybe half a second consolidate all the open windows on the laptop that is docked with an illuminated screen, then go black and then all the monitors will turn back on, consolidating all the open windows on the one external monitor set as my default main monitor. Then I will continue working, moving all my windows back to where I want them, and it will randomly do it again, usually when I'm concentrating on something important. It's like it knows!
    The same thing has happened with an external projector, though not with all projectors.  Sometimes it works fine with projectors.  
    I have updated Windows, and all the graphics drivers and BIOS. And my business partner is having the exact same problem, with the exact same laptop and multiple monitor setup, so it's not isolated to my computer.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am having this same issue with my T530. It just started a week or two back. Not trying to necropost but I didn't see an answer.

• (T530) Driver for port replicator M01060 windows 7 64 bit

Hi.
    Where can I download a driver for the M01060 port replicator.
    When i attach it to the usb port, windows starts installing drivers, but reports errors with driver for ethernet and video.
    Keyboard and mouse works ok when attached to the port replicator.
    Best regards,
    Erik

Hi Erik,
    Welcome to Lenovo Community!
    As per the query we understood that you are facing the issue with Driver for port replicator M01060 on your ThinkPad T530.
    Please check with the drivers from the below link and install it, also suggest you to go through the readme file before installing the application.
    http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/migr-4tp​jf4
    At the bottom of page, Lenovo USB 2.0 Port Replicator with Digital Video
    (0A33942 - U.S., Canada Power Adapter) Driver (.exe)
    Hope this helps.
    Best regards,
    Hemanth Kumar
    Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
    Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

• Windows 8 jumpy mouse on T530 when docked

I am having a problem with my T530 and Windows 8 Enterprise.  The mouse gets very jerky and jumpy when the cursor changes...i.e. if I move it across a text box and the mouse icon changes from the arrow to a cursor.  The strange thing is this only happens when docked.  If I undock the laptop, I have no problems.
    Has anyone else experienced this issue or have any ideas??  I have tried updating drivers but nothing has worked.

Dear _g_g_ ,
    Thank You For Contacting Lenovo.
    Would you please send us a screen shot for the Mouse driver on  the Device manager page.
    Waiting for your kind reply.

• Windows 8.1 - T530 - Base Device Driver missing!

Hi guys,
    Been working to solve this base device driver missing in my T530 image since couple of hours now. I've searched a lot and seen many threads talking about this problem. Tried every solution I ran into but nothing worked so far.
    PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_E822
    Form what I know, this should be a Ricoh Media Card Reader driver. I think I tried like 10 drivers from Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, 32 bits and 64 bits and nothing worked so far. Tried Smart Card reader driver too.
    All Windows Update are installed at the moment.
    Any clue to help me?
    Best regards
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

I don't know what is the Have Disk...!
    Yesterday... we managed to install the driver using the Ricoh Media Card Reader Driver for Windows 8.1 (32-bit, 64-bit) 25 mars 2014. I could swear I had tried them all... So I took the extracted files and added them to the imaging thingy and it doesn't work anymore!
    I did Windows Update on the T530. I did try to manually and auto install using the same driver but it won't work anymore
    Any clue?

• Will I still be able to order a T530 with Windows 7 after Friday ?

Hi, was wondering as Windows 8 will be released on Friday, whether I could still order a T530 laptop with 
    Windows 7 professional after Friday ? or will it come with Windows 8
    Thanks in advance for your help

I suspect that all business level models will continue to be available with Win7 while consumer grade computers may be Win8 only.

• T530 windows 8.1 Intel graphics driver for Widi

A new graphics driver appears to be required when running Widi on the T530 after an upgrade to Windows 8.1.   Intel provides a generic version 15.33.5.64.3316, but this will not load on the T530.   It fails because it wants me to load a version from Lenovo.   Lenovo does not appear to have released a new graphics driver for the Intel 4000 graphics processor yet.   When will that be available?
    Barry
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

You need to uninstall the existing intel driver using programs and features in control panel. After restarting, the generic driver should be able to install using the installer. I wouldn't force install via device manger as when I did that it left components of the old driver around and caused system hanging.

• T530 upgrade to Windows 8.1

Hello!
    I have a T530 (2392CDG) running OEM Windows 8 Pro. I'd like to upgrade it to Windows 8.1 but the market says that my version of windows is not supported (volume licence VOLUME_MAK).
    Can anyone help me with the upgrade?
    Regards,
    Levente Halasz

Hog wash.  Update away...http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only
    W530 | 3840QM | 32g @ 1.35v CL9 1986z | 512g 840 Pro | 1t HGST 7200 | FHD AUO v.4 | Quadro K2k | GOBI 5k | Centrino 6300

• T530 & WINDOWS 8

Dear Sirs:
    We have a new T530, we received W8 upgrade offer and downloaded it. However as W8 Upgrade Assistant ran we received a list of NON COMPATIBLE softwares as follows:
    Sidebar gadgets aren't supported in Windows 8
    You won’t be able to use the sidebar gadgets that are installed on your PC in Windows 8.
    More info
    Secure Boot isn't compatible with your PC
    Your PC's firmware doesn't support Secure Boot so you won't be able to use it in Windows 8.
    More info
    Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver
    Intel Corporation, Version 1.0.4.225
    Not compatible
    Lenovo Auto Scroll Utility
    Version 1.11
    Not compatible
    Lenovo Solution Center
    Lenovo Group Limited, Version 1.1.007.00
    Go to the app website for help
    RapidBoot Shield
    Lenovo, Version 1.23
    Not compatible
    ThinkPad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate Software
    Broadcom Corporation, Version 6.5.1.2700
    Intel(R) WiDi
    Intel Corporation, Version 3.1.29.0
    Reinstall it in Windows 8
    Intel(R) Wireless Display
    Reinstall it in Windows 8
    iTunes
    Apple Inc., Version 10.7.0.21
    Remove authorized PCs
    ThinkVantage Access Connections
    Lenovo, Version 5.93
    What to do, should we wait until Lenovo upgrades all softwares and then install W8 ? Is there a procedure available from Lenovo to upgrade smoothly and maintain all installed application as bught from Lenovo ?
    Hope to receive your help.
    Regards,

Dear Sirs:
    We have a new T530, we received W8 upgrade offer and downloaded it. However as W8 Upgrade Assistant ran we received a list of NON COMPATIBLE softwares as follows:
    Secure Boot isn't compatible with your PC
    Your PC's firmware doesn't support Secure Boot so you won't be able to use it in Windows 8.
    More info
    After chek MS website we found: 
    "Secure boot requires firmware that supports UEFI v2.3.1 Errata B and has the Microsoft Windows Certification Authority in the UEFI signature database"
    Also we check UEFI BIOS Version on our T530 and it is G4ET40WW, UEFI BIOS Date 2012-08-09
    Where we obtain the firmware that supports UEFI v2.3.1 Errata B ? or what to do to have Secure Boot after upgrade to W8 ?
    Hope to receive your help.
    Regards,

• Which version packages do I need for T530 with Windows 7 x64?

- Power Management Driver:
    This version http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS032258
    Or this version http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014939
    - Intel Management Engine Firmware:
    This version http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS028929
    Or this version http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS032435
    The reason I'm asking is because Lenovo Support Driver & Software website lists all these versions for T530 with Windows 7 x64.

usually i go for the newer version.
    and on my thinkpad i installed power management driver version 1.66
    and for ime firmware the second link you provided.
    good luck

• Windows 8 for New T530

I just placed an order for a T530.  Will I be able to get Windows 8 at some kind of a discount.  I seem to recall an prior opportunity to get it for $15? 
    ThinkPad T530 2359-CTO i7-3520M (up to 3.60 GHz) 16GB RAM, 250GB Samsung 840 SSD, 15.6" 1600 x 900 LED, NVIDIA NVS 5400M Graphics with Optimus Technology
    ThinkPad T60 8744-5BU
    T7200(2GHz), 4GB RAM, 256GB Crucial C-300 SSD HD, 15.4in 1680x1050 LCD, 256MB ATI MOBILITY FireGL V5250, CDRW/DVDRW, Win7 Ultimate 32bit

Hey there r3dko,
    It's all a matter of personal opinion.  You will have to read up on Windows 8, and make the decision for yourself.  I do not believe that Microsoft will force everyone to Windows 8, but I'm not 100% sure.  Don't quote me on it. lol

Maybe you are looking for

• List View Justification incorrect after sorting

I am using a list view to display some data in Xcelsius SP3.  I have set the justification to 'Left' for the List View object and when the object is first display all numbers are correctly aligned.  However, if a sort is done by one of the column hea

• Print purchase order caption by output type

Hi, I have created the new output type"ZNEU" for the taking the Purhcase order printout. When  I did  i the changes in the PO simulatenously I have maintained  the versions in the PO. Then  I take the Printout by using NEU o/p type.Then in the printo

• How do I upgrade my iMac from OSX10.5.8 to Mountain Lion?

How do I upgrade my iMac from OSX10.5.8 to Mountain Lion? I'm guessing I have to first purchase Snow Leopard? Is there anyway to download or upgrade online?

• TimeStream  Error (not generated for year 1970)

Dear Experts , I am facing a problem with Time Stream .... When i try to open a Planning Book i am receiving the following message: Timestream (TS ZBRSNP_ZF ) not generated for year 1970 Message no. T9507 Diagnosis The date is outside the periods mai

• Can Crystal Connect to Oracle OLAP Cube

I have CR Professional XI installed.  Does it have the capability to connect to Oracle 10g OLAP Cubes created in Oracle AWM?