WinXP System Restoring never works on my T500 ......

I am running a T500 as 2082-8WG and experienced first time that system restoring never works (it worlks fine with other notebooks). I can create a restore point and I can chose it to be restored and the whole process gets thru until the new boot but then it always says: The system could not be restore at point .......
What can I do?
I think I could try Lenovo's tools for that but I was reluctant to do that so far.
Thanks for any hint,
Ignacio
Solved!
Go to Solution.

Winows system restore can be influenced by different software utilities; virus scanners especially. If you choose a restore point running in safe mode, (F8 at boot), it should work without problems.
Andy  ______________________________________
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.
  Deutsche Community     Comunidad en Español    English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество
PepperonI blog 

Similar Messages

• My win 8.1 laptop does not do system restores, never has.

Have had my HP 15 Touchsmart laptop for almost a year and it has never performed a system restore when requested. 
    After going through the motions, the message on the desktop says the action was not completed and to try it once again. 
    How much disk space should I assign it to use?  Meanwhile, it does not perform that much needed task.
    I do not really want to undertake doing a complete reinstallation, it has happened to me before with my previous computer-starts to work correctly then it stops.  With my present laptop, sys restore has never worked.
    Any suggestions or comments.

Hi there @efkorman716 
    Welcome to the HP Support Forums!
    I understand that you have never been able to get system restore to work on your notebook. I did some searching, and found a common cause of this is often some third party software, commonly antivirus software.
    This page has a troubleshooting section partway down.
    Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 8)
    Also there is this nice page that covers many possible fixes, give it a try and let me know if it helped.
    Fix: System Restore not working in Windows 8 / 7 - thewindowsclub.com  
    As to how much space to allocate, it depends on the hard drive size and operating system but typically up to 5% of a drive is not a bad number. See the following:
    How to Change Maximum Disk Space Used by System Protection and System Images in Windows 8 and 8.1 - eightforums.com  
    Malygris1
    I work on behalf of HP
    Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
    Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

• System restore not working, even with recovery disks

I have a Touchsmart Tx2 1020us. I want to completely restore it to factory settings.
    when i use the recovery manager it pops up saying that there isn't a recovery partition and to insert disk #1. i bought the recovery disk set from HP and put disk 1 in. it then says to click on next. when i click on next the computer just shuts itself down. it never restarts, just turns itself off. 
    i also tried using the "press f11 repeatedly at startup" method. after pressing f11 a ton of times my computer just begins this shrill beeping sound and will not stop until you stop pressing f11. 
    so basically i've tried every method on this page :http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00809678#N554    with absolutely no results. 
    any ideas on how to get this stupid system restore to work? 

Hi,
    Since you deleted your recovery partitions and your recovery disk set has issues you will need to purchase a set of recovery disks from HP or from an HP Partner. the cost is around $25.00 USD.
    It is unfortunate, but when you deleted the recovery partitions you limited the options that were previously available to you.
    Nonexistance or modification of the recovery partition is the reason that neither F11 from startup nor Recovery Manager from within Windows does not work. 
    Best regards,
    erico
    ****Please click on Accept As Solution if a suggestion solves your problem. It helps others facing the same problem to find a solution easily****
    2015 Microsoft MVP - Windows Experience Consumer

• Satellite Pro A300-1A8 Vista system restore not working

I wanted to use system restore due to attempting to reconfigure administrator rights, its somehow deleted all my shortcuts on my menu and messed about with a few things.
    However when i try to use system restore (i have attempted to use it in safe mode, via cmd promp, both together and normal boot), yet all seem to stay hanging in the same green page where it reads something along the lines of 'system is initialising restore etc' (spending 45 mins on this page before i get fed up and shut down the computer). I have tried using different restore points but the same occurs. It like its not working at all.
    Can anyone help with this please?
    My laptop is a Satellite Pro A300-1A8.

Hi
    You mean the Vista tool which can be found in (Start button -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore) does not work and you cannot set back the Vista to the early time point?
    Well, usually there is no much to do to restore the OS to the early time point you have to star the system restore tool and have to choose the restore point. Then everything should run automatically.
    If this doesnt work then something is messed up as you said in your posting above somehow deleted all your shortcuts on my menu and messed about with a few things possibly the OS has been messed to.
    Try to clean the OS using the free software for example CCLeaner. I use it too. Its great. Repair and clean the OS and check if its possible to use the system restore tool again.
    I found also this MS page:
    [System Restore: frequently asked questions|http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/517d3b8e-3379-46c1-b479-05b30d6fb3f01033.mspx#EIEAC]

• Lenovo IdeaPad G460 system restore not working / kernel poewr error

The problem is that I am unable to turn on system restore. It gives an error message when I try to allocate space (0x8007007B). Volume Shadow Copy service is running and is in automatic mode. Another problem is that my system freezes and I have to power it off. Even viewer has an error with event id 41 kernel-power. .

@ dglantz1974
    if you need to perform clean windows installation, shut down your computer and press one key recover button ( arrow sign ) to perform clean windows installation.
    if you need restoring point, you may need to activate it.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-restore-point

• System Restore without working internal DVD drive - dv9210us

I have a set of recovery discs sent to me by HP for my dv9210us. I'm trying to use system recovery, but I'm running into some issues. My internal DVD drive stopped working some time ago. It is not a hardware issue with the drive, as I've purchased a new one with the same result (both work for roughly 10 minutes at a stretch once every few months, but that's a whole separate set of  posts ). Anyway, I have an external dvd drive, but I can't get the laptop to boot from it, and I can't boot from the internal obviously.
    I have tried using the "F12" option at the startup screen, as well as using recovery manager from within Windows to initiate a restore. Both of these end up the same - as the machine boots, I basically get a black and white screen asking to select the operating system to boot. The only choice is "Windows Vista (recovered)". I select this, and the machine boots up as usual. No recovery takes place at all.
    Am I missing something? Is there any way to restore this machine without the internal DVD drive working? Ironically, I was kind of hoping the restore would fix my DVD drive issue . One thought on this, not sure if it's related at all, but I had recently done a windows restore point (rolled back a few days trying to correct an issue where DVD playback suddenly started displaying in "negative" colors (aaaarrrrggghhhh)). I'm not sure if that could have affected the options that are available when I do the F12 startup (since it says "recovered")? Probably not, just grasping at straws...Please help...

F11 gets HP recovery from the hard drive if it has it.
    Scroll down to "Restore the PC to its original condition with the HP Recovery Manager if Windows Vista is not accessible"
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00809678&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...
    F12 should get you a boot device list, does the external dvd drive (must be plugged in before power up) show up in the list? If it does highlight it and it should boot from disc 1 if it is in the drive.

• 1.Backup to External drive 2. CoverArt lost after Windows system restore

I recently spent many hours searching for and applying cover art for my music which was mostly ripped before cover art was readily available.
    Because of this investment, I want to be sure my library is fully backed up. I want to use space on an external drive, rather than DVD's.
    I noticed as I added art, iTunes started acting sluggish. I thought it might be because of the new version or a recent Windows Vista update. So I decided to run system restore. I was appalled to discover that restore wiped out the art I had added. So I reversed the restore and the cover art returned. It became clear to me that the art must be stored in some other way than in the actual music file. I've searched the forum and found others who had problems with system restore, but no explanation of exactly what I should do if I want to proceed with a system restore. I use system restore several times a year and I have never lost anything in iTunes before I started adding cover art. I also never had a problem with sluggishness til I added a bunch of cover art.
    My library is large at 3000 items.
    Is there a way to compact or optimize the database to improve responsiveness?
    Is there a way to backup to an external drive? Is it just a file copy and export library file?
    If I export the library as an xml file before I do a system restore, can I then replace it after the restore and protect my cover art.

To be completely sure what you're doing please take a look at your iTunes Folder and see what Vista stores inside it. To find it, go to Start>Computer>Hard Disk C>Users>Your Name>Music>iTunes>.......
    Please note there is an artwork folder PLUS a music folder!
    My guess is that your system restore point pre-dated the time you added artwork to your iTunes files. (Celebrate that system restore still works for you--I have not been able to successfully restore for over a year now--Norton Internet Security causes system restore failures for many Windows users! I've tried to do this using Windows XP and Vista--and I can never successfully restore anymore.)
    To fully backup your library, just copy the entire iTunes folder to another source--second hard drive, USB drive, or burn it to a CD or DVD, etc.
    If you're experiencing "sluggishness" it may be due to the amount of RAM on your system. iTunes needs a great deal of RAM to run smoothly. You can choose to: increase the RAM on your system, OR, turn off cover flow/album view and see if things run more smoothly.

• Lost all my APPS following a "System Restore" on my Windows 8.1 machine

A couple of days ago I was experiencing problems logging on to ANY / ALL Wi-Fi networks so elected to do a "System Restore" for about 10 days ago. That worked fine and I got my Wi-Fi networks sorted but I lost ALL MY APPS and cannot find a way
    to re-install. Tried contacting Microsoft and what a waste of time that was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Has anyone any idea as to how to retrieve the situation WITHOUT getting too complex or do I need to buy an Apple Computer? With the Old XP system a "System Restore"
    NEVER created these sort of problems! PLEASE SOMEONE TRY TO ADVISE. Thanks Andrew

Sorry to ask, may I know how you perform system restore?
    as far I know, system restore will restore condition included software or application installation
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc
    If you think an app or driver that you recently installed caused problems with your PC, you can restore Windows back to an earlier point in time, called a restore point. System Restore doesn’t change your personal files, but it might remove recently
    installed apps and drivers.
    To restore your PC to an earlier point in time
    1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)
    2.Enter Control Panel in the search box, and tap or click Control Panel.
    3.Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, and then tap or click Recovery.
    4.Tap or click Open System Restore, and then follow the instructions
    So, you need to reinstall your application if 10 days ago you haven't installed it
    I don't know your expectation about this

• Error while turning system restore on windows 7

Hi,,
    Recently I restored my system to factory image, and today i downloaded a video card driver and it failed and i want to restore my system to the point before installing this driver, But when i tried it told me to turn system recovery on. And when i tried
    to turnsystem recovery on like the video here ( http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/turn-system-restore-on-off#1TC=windows-7  )and when i clicked OK "Apply" it shows me an error " The filename, directory name, or volume label
    syntax is incorrect. (0x8007007B) "
    then it said to me to close the property page and try again.
    I have attached a picture of this error and please help me because my video card stopped working because of that update.
    I think system restore is working even when it shows this error, I don't know why but i want to go back in the time before i installed that driver when the system restore was turned off, I really want to know if there is any way to restore my Laptop to the
    moment when system restore was turned off and before installing that driver and thanks.

They'll help you over here.
    Windows 7 forums on Microsoft Answers
    Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• ITunes doesn't work after reinstallation following system restore

My Toshiba Satellite P100 uses Windows XP SP2. I don't think my hardware is a real issue in this instance, but I can post it if others think it's pertinent.
    I installed iTunes a couple weeks ago and things seemed to work pretty well. I began having issues with my computer freezing up (always when I was away from the computer, so I don't know why) and my fingerprint reader stopped working with Firefox, so I decided to try a System Restore. I set it to restore to December 10th, and both issues seem to have been resolved. However, since December 10th was before iTunes was installed, I had to reinstall iTunes. The installation seemed to work fine, but when I clicked finish with the box to launch iTunes afterwards checked, iTunes did not launch. I thought little of it, and just double-clicked the iTunes icon on my desktop. I got an error message like the following:
    "iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
    If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.
    Please tell Microsoft about this problem
    We have created an error report that you can send to us. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.
    To see what data this error report contains, click here."
    I clicked on the link, but the information it provided was over my head. If anyone thinks it could be helpful in fixing this, let me know and I'll post it.
    And then there are two buttons, "Send Error Report" and "Don't Send".
    I've seen this kind of error message before when a program gets overloaded or something and has to shut down, but this pops up every time I try to open iTunes (either from the Program Files menu or from the Desktop) and I never even see the iTunes window before the error forces it to shut down. I have tried both rebooting my computer and reinstalling iTunes, but I am still having the same problem. I don't want to have to revert to my old system settings now that my machine is running better, so any advice on an alternative would be greatly appreciated.

I AM HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!! It happened when I upgraded to the newest version of itunes. I did a system restore to a date when everything was working fine and my itunes still did not work. I have tried to go back to an older version and do uninstall/install but the same thing keeps happening. If you figure it out let me know and I will do the same. Also, my quicktime seems to not be working normally.
    My Toshiba Satellite P100 uses Windows XP SP2. I
    don't think my hardware is a real issue in this
    instance, but I can post it if others think it's
    pertinent.
    I installed iTunes a couple weeks ago and things
    seemed to work pretty well. I began having issues
    with my computer freezing up (always when I was away
    from the computer, so I don't know why) and my
    fingerprint reader stopped working with Firefox, so I
    decided to try a System Restore. I set it to restore
    to December 10th, and both issues seem to have been
    resolved. However, since December 10th was before
    iTunes was installed, I had to reinstall iTunes. The
    installation seemed to work fine, but when I clicked
    finish with the box to launch iTunes afterwards
    checked, iTunes did not launch. I thought little of
    it, and just double-clicked the iTunes icon on my
    desktop. I got an error message like the following:
    "iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to close.
    We are sorry for the inconvenience.
    f you were in the middle of something, the
    information you were working on might be lost.
    Please tell Microsoft about this problem
    We have created an error report that you can send to
    us. We will treat this report as confidential and
    anonymous.
    To see what data this error report contains, click
    here."
    I clicked on the link, but the information it
    provided was over my head. If anyone thinks it could
    be helpful in fixing this, let me know and I'll post
    it.
    And then there are two buttons, "Send Error Report"
    and "Don't Send".
    I've seen this kind of error message before when a
    program gets overloaded or something and has to shut
    down, but this pops up every time I try to open
    iTunes (either from the Program Files menu or from
    the Desktop) and I never even see the iTunes window
    before the error forces it to shut down. I have tried
    both rebooting my computer and reinstalling iTunes,
    but I am still having the same problem. I don't want
    to have to revert to my old system settings now that
    my machine is running better, so any advice on an
    alternative would be greatly appreciated.
    Dell Dimension 3000   Windows XP  
    Dell Dimension 3000   Windows XP  

• HT1222 I installed the most recent ITunes update after which Itunes no longer worked.. I received an error message   Error 7  Windows 193.  I did a system restore to eliminate the update.

Apple support had not responded to my requests for clarification.  The update corrupted both ITunes and Office Outlook mobileme.  The error message when I tried to start up I Tunes was Error 7 Windows 193.  I un installed I Tunes and re installed the latest ver and encountered the same error message.  I finally did a system restore.  Was this a one time problem or is the update bad.  In over 30 years I'd never had a problem with any Apple update.

Hi Lutacrew,
    If you are having issues with iTunes after an attempted update, you may find the following article helpful:
    iTunes 11.1.4 for Windows: Unable to install or open
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5376
    Regards,
    - Brenden

• 4.01 automatic update today 4.29.11, now pages will NOT load at all, just hangs there saying connecting. Tried system restore, re-installing, only way to get it to work is to boot in safe mode. Running W7, 64bit, I5, 2.53 ghz, 4GB, ati radeon 5470

I've been using firefox 4.01 Today (4.29.11) it downloaded an update and now the pages will not load. I tried disabling the add ons, system restore, un-installed/re-installed but the page hangs there and just says connecting. I booted in safe mode with networking and it worked. Running W7, 64Bit, I5, 2.53GHZ, 4GB, ATI mobility radeon 5470

I've been using firefox 4.01 Today (4.29.11) it downloaded an update and now the pages will not load. I tried disabling the add ons, system restore, un-installed/re-installed but the page hangs there and just says connecting. I booted in safe mode with networking and it worked. Running W7, 64Bit, I5, 2.53GHZ, 4GB, ATI mobility radeon 5470

• I would like to know which app/software in MAC gives us the same feature that is provided by System Restore in Windows, and how does that work

I would like to know which app/software in MAC gives us the same feature that is provided by System Restore in Windows, and how does that work.

Time Machine is one such program, although it is a recursive backup program which offers limited archive capability, based on the capacity of the backup destination, and it requires you set it up before you start editing your files.   Some programs are also Versions aware, which offers a kind of restore capability by file.  Again needs to be setup before you start editing.
    Just a for-your-info:
    Mac is not an acronym, it is a nickname for Macintosh.

• I tunes no longer works on my computer. Error 7. I have tried to reinstall, it didn't work. I have tried uninstalling, it didn't work. I have tried system restore, it didn't work. I now have no access to I-tunes on my computer. Windows xp

I tunes no longer works on my computer. I've tried reinstalling it, uninstalling it, and system restore, to no avail. I use windows xp, and get error message 7.

I have the same problem. I have Windows 7 and when trying to open or update it says Error 7 (Windows error 193).
    I tried all the solutions that was on Apple site, no luck. Please help!

• Start and Start apps don't work after System Restore

Hey guys, I tried to install Andy (Android emulator) on my PC today and I had to reboot after the setup was complete. This time when booting up, my computer froze before login screen. I've restarted the computer several times, but no login screen.
    So I used System Restore to restore my system (refresh point is 2 days old) and voila, everything works like it should...
    Except for Start menu, Cortana & search bar and notifications. Restarting explorer.exe didn't fix the problem. Even Start menu apps like Music or Store don't work... Only way to open the Settings app is to click on my network connection icon. Help please!
    I'm using build 9926

..............So I used System Restore to restore my system (refresh point is 2 days old)...............
    It is possible that you are missing the updates that were installed in that 2 days. You rolled back 2 days, now you need to reinstall those updates.
    If you cannot use Start Menu, please follow this instruction given by Insider Hub......
    Checking for updates may fix this problem. To check for updates without the Start menu, do the following:
    Select the Internet Explorer icon.
    Type http://update.microsoft.com into the address bar and select
    Enter.
    If you are prompted to run a control, click
    Yes or Confirm
    This should bring up the Check for updates window. Install updates.
    If no update is available, or the available updates don’t fix the issue, restart the device–this should make the Start menu appear. To reboot without using the Start menu:
    Hold down the Windows key and select L to lock the device. Swipe up or select
    Enter to open the sign in screen. Select the
    Power icon on the log in screen to restart the computer.            
    OR
    Hold down the Windows key and select R to bring up a command prompt. In the prompt, type
    shutdown –r to restart
    Good luck.

Maybe you are looking for

• What's wrong? Simple button click to put input on to label

I'm trying to build a simple application with an input box, button, and label. Clicking the button should take the input box contents and display it upon the label. However, although I have no bugs listed, clicking the button in the app does nothing.

• Works on Windows 7 & 8?

Hey Adobe, PC's with windows 7 & 8 can still use the latest version of Adobe Story? $40 per PC? How long does it take to train someone in Adobe Story? Free training? 24hr free support from Adobe? UK user data stored in US 'Cloud'? Cheers:0) Wanda

• Reading .txt files and put it into a TextArea

Hi all, I got a problem! I have to make something like a messenger. I want to put the written text into a .txt file, after that I have to get the text out of the .txt file and put in into a TextArea. I would ike it to to that like this: ">User 1 Hell

• Creating a Trigger for Deleting the records from a parent Table

I am new to creating Trigger We will need several small tables that will be used to store any records that are deleted by the owner of the table. These will likely need a trigger where we would Delete from the parent table and on that Delete populate

• XML loadfromfile

We need to load an XML file into the database. From there we will process via PL/SQL. The dbms_lob.loadfromfile loads only the first row into the desired table. Does anyone know of a way to load this xml file in as a lob. The book is great Steve and