WM advice for PIII 600MHz, 128MB Ram, IBM Thinkpad T20

I just want to see what WMs people are using for lower spec machines. So, what are you using? How well does it perform? How easy is it to configure? What's the memory footprint? Etc.
By the way, I do want it look good; Not real flashy with effects, but nice to look.

The first experiment was with Fluxbox, mainly because there is a wiki entry, and I'm very impressed by how well this system works. The second experiment was XFCE, and it seems to be a bit much for this system. I think with some more RAM it may be a viable candidate. I'm going to try E17 and Openbox today.
The only software that I need for now is a webbrowser plus MPlayer and Flash (+ Flashblock!), and Abiword. I installed all of this and it's all working surprisingly well. I'll try Opera instead of Firefox to see if I can get the performance vs. RAM usage in check.
The funny thing about this is that I may not need to get any more memory. The early tests show that this can be a very good machine for what I want it for like it is. I'm impressed.

Similar Messages

• How to install Solaris 8 on IBM Thinkpad T20 laptop

Hello,
    I would like to install Solaris 8 on my IBM Thinkpad T20 laptop and I am facing two kinds of problems:
    -1- I cannot boot on the Matshushita DVDROM which is shipped with : i have got a boot panic ;
    -2- My SAVAGE/IX 8MB Video Card is not recognised.
    ANY HELP APPRECIATED
    [email protected]

Hi There,
    Although laptops are not officially supported, I am aware that another
    customer managed to install their system over a network connection
    due to local CDROM issues.
    This may be something to try if you have access to another SOlaris System with a local CDROM.
    As for the Video Card, I have not found any records of anyone
    else attempting to use this particular chipset and so you may be
    limited to just standard VGA in this case.
    Regards
    Derek SUN-DTS

• Which version for pentium3 WinXP 128MB ram

which version of firefox can I use on old pentium3 computer WinXP 128MB ram 6Gig disk free

You should use Firefox 33.1 (the latest version). Please note that the amount of RAM you have for that computer isn't even enough to run Windows XP properly, you should have at least 256mb of RAM. Try contacting a reputable local computer shop, it should be an inexpensive upgrade.
    If this is your first time running Firefox, let's do a few things to make sure your computer is up and running as good as possible:
    * Update Windows: windows.microsoft.com/windows/windows-update this helps bring the latest performance improvements, security fixes and keeps your computer running stable. Make sure you have Service pack 3 and all other updates installed.
    * Scan for malware. Windows XP is no longer support by microsoft, which makes it very vulnerable to attack. [[Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware]] run all the programs in that article and remove any threats they find
    * Update your graphics driver: [[Upgrade your graphics drivers to use hardware acceleration and WebGL]] this will help keep Firefox and your computer running as fast as possible.
    * After doing all this, [[How to download and install Firefox on Windows]] and read [[Get started with Firefox - An overview of the main features]]
    And remember, get more RAM ;)

• Solaris 8 on IBM Thinkpad T20 - Display Problem!

Hi Forum,
    I have Solaris 8 07/01 installed on this IBM Tninkpad T20. The problem has been the display. It has S3 Savage IX 8. I need help to resolve this issue. Here's what I have done.
    After installation of OS, latest patches were applied. Installed XFree86 without any problems. Configured and generated a /XF86Config.new file from /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 -configure. The XF86Config.new was copied as /XFConfig and /etc/X11/XFConfig. This file looks good detecting the Savage driver with this sentence in it: "Savage(0): VESA VBE DDC Support". I understand that this adapter has been picked up with correct configuration.
    When I run XFree86, it just displays a grey screen with the mouse cursor in the middle of the screen, and no other action after that. No cursor movement or any response from the keyboard. Leading to cold boot of the system. in short, XFree86, did'nt quite work as it should have.
    As an alternative, I have installed these two packages and patches for extended XSun support, which uses this existing XFree86 drivers. I downloaded and "pkgadd"ed the SUNWxf86u & SUNWxf86r and the patches, 109401-10 and 108653-30. Afterwhich, I did find additional adapters showing up in "kdmconfig". I did find Savage IX and other drivers which were'nt found earlier. Selected this driver, with various montitor types in the next scrreen, was unsuccessful in displaying the screen. I have tried the same with VESA and VGA compatible drivers too and different monitor types. Not getting the right display. I have to try the Xig patch. But the existing XFree86 and XSun should still do the work. Any Suggestions & help appreciated.

Regarding T20 laptops with Solaris8. See www.egroups.com Solaris on Intel archive. You can see that Solaris 8 can boot from this kind of hardware. One solution would be:
    -Install from the network. Jumpstart installation if your model of laptop has a builtin NIC.
    -See more details about this on Jumpstart installation.

• Systemd crashes on wake after a suspend to RAM - IBM Thinkpad X40

The most visible symptoms are that the computer won't shut down (from the xfce4-session UI or from sudo poweroff) and the networking is disabled and won't re-enable. When systemd crashes and I try a sudo systemctl command, it says it can't connect to the socket. The computer is otherwise running fine.
    It's particularly annoying because when systemd crashes when I wake the computer up after suspending to RAM, I can't shut it down properly. I have had to stop suspending to ram entirely for the time being.
    Last edited by ewtoombs (2013-11-24 21:59:29)

The most visible symptoms are that the computer won't shut down (from the xfce4-session UI or from sudo poweroff) and the networking is disabled and won't re-enable. When systemd crashes and I try a sudo systemctl command, it says it can't connect to the socket. The computer is otherwise running fine.
    It's particularly annoying because when systemd crashes when I wake the computer up after suspending to RAM, I can't shut it down properly. I have had to stop suspending to ram entirely for the time being.
    Last edited by ewtoombs (2013-11-24 21:59:29)

• IBM Thinkpad T20 mouse not recognized

I cannot startx after running 'xf86config' due to the mouse (actually the little red trackpointer on the keyboard) not being recognized.  I set it up as a PS/2 mouse and per the FAQ added the lines in /etc/devfsd.conf to establish the symlink.  I've tried devices /dev/mouse and /dev/psaux to no avail.  I do not have an XFConfig-4 file that would take precedence over the XF86Config file I edited.
    What would be the suggestions for next steps to the X up and running?  I'm thinking there was a module I didn't load, but offhand can't think of what it would be.
    Thanks for any help on this!

trey wrote:
    I got it working tonight by attaching a PS/2 mouse to the PS/2 port, running HWD, and using the generated XF86Config file.  With the PS/2 mouse attached, it worked fine.  I'm not sure why attaching this made any difference, but glad it works.
    Thank you everyone for your kind assistance with this issue!
    cool, great you managed it finally ... can you please post the section "InputDevice" from your working XF86Config here? i wonder what "hwd" have created --- thanx in advance
    if you have special keys on your Thinkpad (i dont know the T20, but a lot of TPs have special keys for volume, "home" ... ) and want to use them for something (e.g. you can run an xterm by pressing the "Thinkpad" button) on arch, you can try some packages i build for arch for TPs:
    tpctl (thinkpad control)
    http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=985
    and tpb (thinkpad buttons)
    http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=883
    greetings

• Advice for real performanc​e of LV8.5 operate in the XP and Vista

Hi all
    My company had purchased new computers for LabVIEW programming purpose.
    We may install the LV8.5 in these computers but OS are not decided yet. Also, we have the current PC is only XP licensed
    Therefore, can anyone give the advice for the real performance advantage of using :
    LV8.5 with Vista over LV8.5 with XP
    LV8.5 with Vista over LV7.1 with XP
    LV7.1 with Vista over LV7.1 with XP
    New computers detail:
    Intel(R) Pentium(R)Dual-Core processor E2160
    BCH-P111 -1.80GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB
    2GB RAM
    Thanks
    Best Regards
    Steve So

The biggest issue I have seen with 8.5 Vista vs. XP is that if you leave Vista in the standard theme, the fonts have changed.  I designed several front panels to have them be out of whack with XP.  So if you are going to be using code across platforms, you need to keep in mind they will look different unless you use the XP theme in Vista, or customize your fonts to make sure they remain the same between the systems.  The dialog font is a different size (13 on Vista vs. 11 on XP), and a different font (can't remember the difference).  That was the big one I noticed.
    8.5 over 7.1 is mostly going to be the learning curve to learn the new features.  Overall, I have appreciated the changes, but there are some things (mostly development related) that I have seen run a little slower in 8.5 than in 7.1, but have not noticed any runtime issues as of yet.  One big change between the versions is application building, which is more complex in 8+.  I do appreciate the new features, though, but NIs project still hasn't rubbed me the right way yet.
    NI doesn't support LV 7.1 with Vista.  I have used it and haven't seen any problems, but that doesn't mean one won't pop up.  If you're going to stay with 7.1, you better stay with XP.  8.5 is the first version NIs supports as Vista compatible.  You will also have to use a relatively new set of device drivers, so if you have old hardware you are trying to use in your new system, make sure it is cimpatible with the latest drivers.
    I have actually had more issues with other hardware drivers and software packages than I have with LabVIEW.  TestStand is not yet supported in Vista, and i found out the hard way, one of the ways it is incompatible and had to move back to XP for devlopment.

• Can anyone help me with advice for a replacement hard drive

Hi there,
    Can anyone help me with advice for a replacement hard drive and RAM upgrade for my Mac Book Pro 5,3
    Its 3 years old & running Snow Leopard 10.6.8
    I do a lot of audio & movie work so performance is important.
    The logic board was replaced last summer & I was advised to replace the hard drive then...oops
    Anyway it has limped on until now but is giving me cause for concern...
    I have found a couple of possibilities below...so if anyone does have a moment to take a look & help me out I would be most grateful
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Scorpio-7200rpm-Internal/dp/B004I9J5OG/r ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356787585&sr=8-1
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-Apple-8GB-Kit/dp/B001PS9UKW/ref=pd_s im_computers_5
    Kind regards
    Nick

Thanks guys that is so helpful :-)
    I will follow your advice Ogelthorpe & see how I get on with the job!!! Virgin territory for me so I may well shout for help once my MBP is in bits!! Is there a guide for duffers for this job anywhere??
    & yes in an ideal world I would be replacing my old MBP but I'm just not in a position to do that at the moment....let's hope things pick up in 2013
    All the very best
    Nick

• PLEASE RECOMMED IBM THINKPAD 1GHZ vs TOSHIBA TECRA PENTIUM-II FOR DBA & DEV

Which laptop is recommended to use for better performance workstation for
    parallel use of Oracle Database Administration tools and the Oracle Development
    kit out of IBM ThinkPad 1GHz with at least 256MB RAM and around 30GB of disk
    space vs Toshiba Tecra Pentium-II with lesser memory and disk space for daily
    extensive parallel use of full Oracle Enterprise Manager Version 2.2.0.0.0, DBA
    Studio and the Developer-2000 6/6i alongwith other SQL Applications for
    rigorous testing and output in addition to other office applications for daily operations.
    Please provide any reasons/suggestions if applicable.

Per Oracle Enterprise Manager Installation Guide for Release 2.2, part no. A85215-01 Minimum RAM requirement is 128 MB, and recommended is 256 MB. You will need additional memory for Developer 2000, and your SQL applications. One more thing ... don't forget to reserve some memory for the Operating System to run !
    Based on this, your applications will barely run with 256 MB of memory. If I were you, I would not go anything less than 512 MB of RAM for serious development work. Memory is cheap these days.
    By the way, Oracle software is not smart enough to distinguish brands like Tecra from Thinkpad !!! You need to look at the minimum and recommended values for Hardware Requirements of each product. Hope this helps.

• Developer install fails 128mb RAM ???

AMD-XP1900 (1.6GHZ)
    512MB RAM
    1024MB SWAP
    7000MB /
    Slackware 9.1 (kernel 2.6.4rc2)
    Oracle 10g java pack for Linux
    Recently got 10g pack in post, installed 'Standard' database ok, started db ok, got listener + isqlplus + enterprise manager running ok, can log in etc.
    Tried to install the developer cd using usual ./runInstaller and the GUI installer loads and asks for basic or full install.
    It does not matter which option is selected as a message box pops up saying 128MB RAM is needed for Oracle Developer, click ok (only option) and it goes back to the installation screen.
    This system has 512MB, which should be fine.
    I cant get beyond the install screen as the message about 128MB RAM keeps popping up.
    I had the same problem with Slackware 9.0 and kernel 2.4.22, so I dont think its a problem with the way the 2.6.x kernel version allows apps to read memory availability differently to 2.4.x.
    If anyone could offer any opinion's that would be great, as I have not found anything associated by searching google.
    Many thanks!

I've had a look at the log files of the install and the lst few lines show that the "GetMemorySize" query returned 0, which is incorrect as this machine has 512MB.
    So this does point to an issue with the software not taking into Account the changes in the 2.6.x kernel series (maybe theres a legacy support option in the kernel, I'll check).
    All the java classes are compiled so I dont think I can "edit" a file to say "no the memory is enough".
    Install type for "Installation Common Files 9.0.4.0.0 " is "Complete".
    Install type for "Oracle9iDS Installation and Configuration Documentation 9.0.4.0.0 Beta" is "Complete".
    Install type for "Sun JDK 1.4.2.0.0 " is "Custom".
    Install type for "Sun JDK extensions 9.0.4.0.0 " is "Custom".
    Calling Query generalQueries2.3.0.6.0 getOSName
    Query Returned: Linux
    Calling Query generalQueries2.3.0.6.0 getOSVer
    Query Returned: 2.6.4-rc2
    Calling Query generalQueries2.3.0.6.0 isCurrentPlatformInGroup
    platGroup = WINDOWS
    Query Returned: false
    Calling Query MemorySizeQuery1.2.8.0.3 getMemorySize
    Query Returned: 0
    Setting the PRE_REQUISITE variable of 'oracle.ids.toplevel.development_9.0.4.0.0' to 'false'. Received the value from the variable calculation.
    # The pre-requisite for the component Oracle Developer Suite 10g 9.0.4.0.0 has failed.
    Error:*** Alert: You must have at least 128 MB RAM installed on this machine to install Oracle Developer Suite 10g. ***
    User Selected: Yes/OK
    Anyone else using 2.6.x kernel series ok?? (the 10g developer CD's)

• ITunes for Windows 7 on IBM Thinkpad 380XD

Hey there. I"m having trouble with my laptop.
    It's an IBM Thinkpad 380XD, wit about a 3.2GB hard drive, Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (Soon to be SP4 in about 10 minutes of me posting this, though) and a Pentuim I 233Mhz processor. I seem to be having a problem installing iTunes 5 on it. Why I have iTunes 5? I don't know. I recently installed it, and tried to open it. A couple times I tried to install it, it gave me errors like, "Invalid Drive F:\" and "Unknown character in My PIctures". Now, I recently wiped my My Documents folder clean because most of the stuff in there I didn't need. I guess I accidentally deleted the My pictures folder by accident. So I tried to create another folder with the same name and rebooted to see if it would take its place. Nope. Didn't work.
    I'm thinking about trying iTunes 7.0.2 (or whatever is the latest version) to see if it will install properly and allow me to use it. One of my other questions is, Will it work with the processor speed I'm running? I know iTunes requires 500Mhz to run, but I only want to use it for music, no videos or anything. One reason is I'm sick and tired of using WinAmp. Is it truly possible to get this to work after I do the SP4 update and such? I need to know this fast; I'm getting an external hard drive for it later and I need this information befire I know if it's worth it or not. PLus, this is the computer I take with me to school, too. and I have one heck of a long bus ride. Please respond.
    -The Wishmkr

I wouldn't even try installing on the computer. People with much newer systems have problems with iTunes/Quicktime needing to much system resources to run.
    I have 2.2 GHz processor with 2GB RAM and iTunes uses 20% CPU resources just playing music.

• HT204053 Is it possible to have two (or more) different icloud mail accounts (not alias) under the same apple id? If not what is you best advice for all family members to have their own e-mail and still share the purchases under the same apple id. Thanks

Is it possible to have two (or more) different icloud mail accounts (not alias) under the same apple id? If not what is you best advice for all family members to have their own e-mail and still share the purchases under the same apple id. Thanks

mannyace wrote:
    Thanks for the response.
    So I basically won't run into any trouble? I
    There should be no issues. Its designed to work like that.  You don't change Apple IDs just because you get a new device.
    mannyace wrote:
    Thanks for the response.
    Is there any chance that the phones can fall out of sync?
    Unlikely. But nothing is impossible.   Though I don;t see how that would happen. As long as both are signed into the Same Apple ID / iCloud Account they will be N'Sync. (Bad Joke)
    mannyace wrote:
    Thanks for the response.
    If I get a message or buy an app or take a photo on the iPhone 5, how do I get those things onto the iPhone 6?
    If you buy an App, you have 2 ways to get it to the iPhone6: If Automatic Downloads is enabled in Settings->iTunes & App Store, it will automatically download to the iPhone 6 when you buy it on the 5 and vice versa if you buy it on the 6, it will download to the 5.
    Alternatively, you can simply go to the App Store App->Updates->Purchased and look for the App there and download it. Purchased Apps will not require payment again. i.e They'll be free to download to the iPhone 6 once purchased.
    SMS Messages will sync over using Continuity as long as they are on the same Wifi network. Otherwise, restoring the iPhone 5 backup to the iPhone 6 will transfer all messages received up until the backup was made onto the iPhone 6.
    Images, can be transferred either through Photo Stream
    My Photo Stream FAQ - Apple Support
    Or any Cloud service you want such as Dropbox, or One Drive.
    mannyace wrote:
    Also, something i forgot to ask initially: Should I update the iPhone 5 to iOS 8 first or does that not matter?
    If you want the Continuity features as explained above you need to update the iPhone 5 to iOS 8. Otherwise its not all that important.

• Multiple libraries, Pbook/Pmac, advice for management & updating please.

Hi Everyone,
    I travel frequently, and am looking for suggestions to keep all my iPhoto libraries up to date. I currently have a g5, Powerbook, and Mini.
    I just upgraded to iPhoto 6 and I have several thousand photos on my Dual g5. I just came back with 1000 more from my diving trip. The problem is, they are on my Powerbook, and taking up alot of space on the relatively small hard drive. I managed to work through the rough upgrade from 5 to 6, and now I need some more help...
    1) What is your advice for managing multiple libraries of photos.
    2) What is the best way to transfer the iphoto pics (and movies) to my desktop, which of course has the larger storage capacity, after travelling...
    Thanks,

Jason:
    There are several different approaches to what you want to do. Let me just throw out a couple that I'm familiar with.
    To get the new photos from your PB to your G5 and maintain any keywords, and other organization effort you put into them, you'll need the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager. It will allow you to merge libraries or copy between libraries and maintain the metadata, etc. That's the only way currently available to move photos from one library to another and keep the roll, keywords, comments, etc. with those photos. You can connect the two Macs with one in the Target Mode, probably your PB, and then run iPLM to move the photos to the G5 library.
    Now there is a way to have a library on your PB that reflects the one on your G5 but is only a fraction of the size. That's to have an alias based library on your PB that uses the Originals folder as its source of source files. (My 25,600 files, 27G, are represented by an iPhoto Library folder of only 1.75G). When the PB is not connected with the G5, say with a LAN, it will have limited capabilities which are in part: you'll only be able to view the thumbnail files, be able to add comments, create, delete or move albums around, add keywords (but with some hassle-but it can be done). You can't do anything that requires moving thumbnails around, work with books, slideshows or calendars. Once the two computers are networked together again the library will act as normal.
    Now while on the road you can have a "normal" library to import new full sized files, keyword them, add comments, etc. and then transfer to the G5 library. Once in the G5 library they will be represented in a roll(s) and corresponding folder in the Originals folder. You then fire up the "alias" library, and import those new folders in the G5 Originals folder.
    It may be a lot of work but it may be one way of doing it.
    I've not done any of the "sharing" with iPhoto so don't know if that's another possible candidate for transferring.
    P.S. FWIW I've created this workflow for converting from a conventional library to an alias based one.

• Creation of ACH pmt advice for EU C.Cd (PMW activated)

Hi experts,
    I'm a little at loss with my 1st dealings with the payment medium workbench. I got a requirement to setup payment advice a EU company code that currently sends out ACH payments without advice.
    Currently In FBZP,
    1- The EU CCd is a paying company and the form is the same Z_REMITT_S used for the client's US company.
    2- The ACH payment method is defined for the country. The medium is the payment medium workbench and the format is Z_SEPA_CT.
         The US company uses the classic workbench and program RFFOUS_T for ACH.
    3- In Define Payment Method for Company code, I hit a snag because Under Form Data, there is only the "Drawer on the Form" segment; the entire "Forms" segment where you'd select your script is missing.
    Bottom line is How do I set up payment advice for ACH for a EU company paying EU vendors? (am I even asking the right question here?)

maybe OP want to extract all numbers from his inbox using regular expressions?

• Automatic creation of remittance advice for employee expense reimbursements

Hello experts
    Is there a way to have remittance advices for employee expense reimbursements created automatically at the time of payment media run? In case of suppliers, in the supplier base you can heck "Advice Required" and then at the time of media run the remittance advice can be generated alongwith the payment. Is there a similar setting that can be done for employees?
    Thanks
    Gopal

Hi
    Just to follow on from Ravi's reply:  most sites that I work at have the report RPRAPA00 scheduled to run on a periodic basis (define the job via transaction code SM36) to automatically create employee's vendor accounts.   A screen variant is usually saved for the program, and then the batch session is monitored on a regular basis to ensure that it has run successfully.
    Cheers
    Kylie

Maybe you are looking for

• "unknown error" when trying to login iTunes 11

Hey everyone, I'm getting an "unknown error." when I'm trying to login iTunes 11. When I enter my apple ID and password I the same window pops up again with "Unknown error." in red. When I try to login again I get the popup with "Did you forget your

• Error in table binding (Select an attribute of type string)

Dear All, I'm doing the <i>TUT_FLIGHTLIST</i>example of the webdynpro. Now i'm struck at the step of Table Binding. <b>System says that error for UI element...select an attribute of type string.</b>. Please suggest. Thanks, Anup.

• BPEL-BAM JMS Sensor

Hi, I am using Oracle BPEL and BAM Versions 10.1.2.1. I created sensors according to the below mentioned link http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14099_19/integrate.1012/b15813/phase11.htm I am able to see the created sensors and its values in t

• Choice between three options

Hi all, Please tell me how are the onsite opportunities and salary/market is there for following- 1)SRM Functional+ABAP 2)CRM Functional+ABAP 3)BI As am supposed to choose one of these. Am  an ABAPer. Thanks.

• ILike crashes iTunes?

ever since installing iLike i can no longer get into the iTunes store. in fact even after uninstalling iLike nd even iTunes and then reinstalling iTunes i still have the issue... iTunes works fine in all other ways but CRASHES when i go to the store.