Worth it to buy a used T60?

I was looking at buying a Lenovo laptop when I came across a few selling on Kijiji for about $100.  I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy one and put an SSD drive in.  Would it be fast enough for things such as surfing, email, youtube and videos?  I'm using an Sony laptop right now with an I5 processor.  How much slower would the T60 feel?  Will I hate it?
thanks,

A T60 will definitely be slower than an i5-based system. However a T60 will definitely still be serviceable as a basic system for surfing, e-mail, watching videos, etc. providing you don't try to do all of that at once. I still use a T60p on occasion as a spare system to test out new software. It's more than fast enough for my needs.
The issues you'll run into with a used T60 relate to upgrades. You'll need at least 2GB of RAM and preferably 3Gb or 4GB. (The architecture of the T60 doesn't allow going over 4GB.) The cost of DDR2 RAM is quite high these days so you may not want to spend the money.
The same thing applies to an SSD. If you have to buy one, especially a 128GB or 256GB model, then the cost may be prohibitive. An SSD will speed up boot times and application start times considerably. It won't do much to speed up surfing and running applications once they've loaded. Unless I had a spare SSD I'd do some serious maintenance and housekeeping on the HDD, e.g. getting rid of unneeded files and apps, defragmenting, etc.
If the T60 currently runs Windows XP I'd look into into Windows 7. If you have a access to a spare copy then the upgrade is no-brainer. If you have to buy a copy of Win7 then it's probably not worth it. (Support for Win XP ends in April so you'll stop getting security-related upgrades.) Linux is another viable option.
Cheers... Dorian Hausman
X1C2, TPT2, T430s, SL500, X61s, T60p, A21p, 770, 760ED... 5160, 5150... S360/30

Similar Messages

• Buying a used basic T60 or hi-end R50p? Need some opinions, plz.

Hi guys,
    I'm looking to buy a used Thinkpad, but I'm a bit torn between 2 models, so I'd like some opinions
    Thinkpad T60 (don't have number yet))
    Intel core duo T2500, 1GB memory, 100 GB HD, 512mb Graph. card (Ati mobility radeon X1400), 14.1 inch screen 1024x768
    Multiburner DVD dual layer, wireless, bluetooth, battery more than 2h. Official XP.
    = 427 USD
    Thinkpad R50p (1833-BU4)
    Original description: Based on 1833-23U: P M 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 60GB 7200rpm HDD, 15" UXGA(1600x1200) TFT LCD, 128MB ATI FireGL T2, 24x24x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD, Modem(CDC), 1Gb Ethernet(LOM), Intel 802.11b wireless, Secure Chip (TCPA), 9 cell Li-Ion battery, No preload
    = 388 USD
    So basic it's a "high-end, but slower" versus a "basic, but faster" kind of deal.
    I'm just gonna use it as a 2nd machine, mostly for some internet, office, chats, some (older) games.
    I'm not sure how much would the "user-experience" of a hi-res screen would compare to a more performant machine?
    Thanks!
    T42p 2373-Q1G (PM765, 2GB, 250 GB HDD, 15" UXGA(1600x1200), 128MB ATI FireGL T2)
    T60p 8741-C4G (T7600 2.33GHz, 3GB, 320GB 7k2 rpm, 15.4" 1680x1050, 256MB ATI FireGL V5250)
    R50p 1833-BU4PM1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 60GB 7200rpm HDD, 15 UXGA(1600x1200) TFT LCD, 128MB ATI FireGL T2

If you're a fan of high-end LCDs, R50p has a very nice IPS FlexView, and is a very sweet machine overall. With maxed RAM it doesn't feel outdated at all, will fly in most Linux distros and XP, and run 32-bit Vista with no complaints. If the original 1.7 Banias CPU is replaced with 2.0 or 2.1 Dothan (755/765) these babies get quite fast.
    The bad news is that these machines are prone to GPU failures that affect the whole ATi-based T4x/R5x generation.
    As for your run-of-the-mill T60, if it's going to be nothing more than a backup machine, it's probably a better option than R50p if the price is the same. These are solid performers that don't need any special care to stay in good shape.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    George
    In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
    Collecting dust: T60
    Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
    Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
    Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

• Buying a used Thinkpad - Warranty Queries

I'm thinking about buying a used x60s thinkpad. While the laptop was purchased earlier this year (according to the sales reciept), an online check on the type/serial no. indicates that the warranty began in 2007.
    Can I confirm that:
     1. The warranty follows the machine rather than the owner (i.e. someone who purchases a thinkpad second hand will benefit from the warranty); and
    2. Lenovo will regard the date on the sales receipt as the beginning of the limited warranty (as the following document suggests: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-62780).
    Assuming that both 1 and 2 are true, how would I go about having the "new" start date reflected on the online lookup? I don't want this to be an issue in 2 years when i've lost the receipt.
    Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!
    The warranty follows the machine, not the owner, but in certain countries you are asked to provide a bill of sale in order to excersize the warranty.
    Warranty begins with the date that unit was shipped to the original customer. If the product had been sold with a three year warranty, it will end in 2010 regardless whether the machine is still owned by the original customer or not.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    George
    In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
    Collecting dust: T60
    Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
    Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
    Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

• Buying a used iMac G5, tips and things to look out for?

What tips could you guys give me on when looking for a used iMac G5? I like the 20" models specifically and it seems the models are all over 1.6GHz so the speeds are fine.
    I currently own a G4 1.67 PowerBook and did a bit of reading up on that before I bought it, seeing what things to look out for what things turned faulty after a while and such. Such as the logic board and the 1 RAM slot going faulty on a few models, recalled batteries, which helped a lot in buying a used one.
    I'm looking for a new desktop but can't afford to fork out over 1 grand for the new iMac's and the speed of my PowerBook is enough for my usual browsing and processing and few photos. So please don't bother telling me to buy a new one cos new is always best, I don't mind spending reasonably less and having a decent machine still - 1.67 15" PowerBook has proved well :P

Don't buy a new intel. buy a refurbished one from Apple. The PPC architecture is on its way out, few programs are being written for it, and most new applications are only for intel. I realize that even a refurb might cost a bit more than you planned to spend, but it will be worth it down the road.
    Look in the [Apple Store|http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=MTE3NjY], the choice changes daily, so just keep you eye open for the one you want and snap it up. And get Apple Care as well.
    Let us know what you ended up with please,

• I bought an iTunes gift card, reedemed it, and when i try to buy a game it doesn't let me use my credits, but instead I have to buy it using my Visa card?

I bought an iTunes gift card, reedemed it, and when i try to buy a game it doesn't let me use my credits, but instead I have to buy it using my Visa card?

What exactly do you see when trying to buy a game, what messages do you get on-screen ?
    If it's an account that you've just created then unless the instructions on this page are followed when creating an account : Create an iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store account without a credit card or other payment method
    then credit card details will need to be entered before the account can be used to download any item from the store. You should be able to remove the card after entering its details.
    If you are getting a prompt to review the account then you could see if this post by mountaingoatgirl lets you do so without needing to enter credit card details : https://discussions.apple.com/message/24303054#24303054

• What to look for when buying a used N8?

I am buying a used N8, so I want to know if there is something specific to look for or just general things?

The lugs that hold the base onto the phone are not strong enough and the base often needs to be replaced. Give the base (the bit with the button on it) a tug to see whether it's broken.

• Hi I have an iTunes account with my uk debit card but am currently in Australia, can I buy and use an iTunes/app store gift card in AU$ or am I only allowed to acces the store in gbp£ ?

Hi I have an iTunes account with my uk debit card but am currently in Australia, can I buy and use an iTunes/app store gift card in AU$ or am I only allowed to acces the store in gbp£ ? Cheers

I had the same error when trying to update my apps on my ipod touch. I tried to input my security code numerous times to no avail. I also made sure my billing address was the same as what my bank had on file. To fix the issue I went into iTunes, logged onto the iTunes store, went to account settings and reviewed my recent purchases. Turned out that I had made a recent purchase and didn't have enough money left on my credit card to pay for it at the time. I paid off the credit card, and then input my security code once more and now it works fine. I've heard that some debit or pay as you go credit cards require a minimum balance, so make sure you have at least that amount in your account.

• Hello that is able to separate an apple icloud account My IMEI. I buy a Used iphone ios 7.1.1 5c but after restore it asks me iCloud account.I have no contact with the seller. thank you for your reply.

Hello
    that is able to separate an apple icloud account My IMEI *******.
    I buy a Used iphone 5c ios 7.1.1  but after restore it asks me iCloud account.
    I have no contact with the seller.
    thank you for your reply
    <Edited by Host>

The iPhone has Activation Lock and will require you to have the previous owner's Apple ID and password or you'll need to get the previous owner to remove the device from his/her iCloud account:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2702
    If you can't reach the previous owner or he/she is unwilling to cooperate, then the device is unusable by you. Return the iPhone for a refund if you can.
    Regards.

• I would like to know if iphone 5 GSM model A1429 unlocked is available in stores in the US in order to buy and use in Europe

I would like to know if iphone 5 GSM model A1429 is unlocked and is available in stores in the US in order to buy and use in Europe. Please let me know.
    Thanks
    ST

Not officially for sale in the US, at the present time, although Apple's flagship store on 5th Ave, in New York City, gets supplies from time-to-time. However, no GSM US model iPhone 5 will support LTE anywhere other than North America. It will not support LTE in Europe. If you want LTE support in Europe, you need to purchase your phone in Europe.

• Help with unlocking - I am trying to buy a used SPRINT IPHONE 4S. After unlocking will it work with ATT

I am trying to buy a used SPRINT IPHONE 4S.  Once I buy I plan to UNLOCK it ( Get it unlocked )
    Then can I use it with ATT ?
    Can someone please tell me whether an unlocked IPHONE can work with any cell company please ?
    That will be  a quick answer to my question.

1. No. iPhones unlocked by Sprint can't be used with a different USA carrier.
    2. Not in this case. Sprint only unlocks iPhones for international use.
    (121497)

• Buying a Used MacBook Pro

Hey All!
    I had my MacBook Pro stolen a few days ago. I am looking to buy a used MBP from a trusted friend. He, however, has not purchased an AppleCare plan for his computer. He purchased his computer 8 months ago.
    My question: If I purchase a used MacBook Pro, am I still able to buy an AppleCare plan within the first year of the original purchase of the machine?
    Thanks for your help!

Yes.

• Is it legal to buy a used laptop with Adobe software on it?

I'm thinking about buying a used laptop with Adobe CS5 Master Collection on it.
    Would I be able to use this software if I wasn't the original purchaser?
    How does licensing work in a situation like this?

Hi Darryl,
    Provided it isn't an Education version (which are non-transferrable with Adobe), plus if you meet the other criteria for a license transfer, then it could be possible to legally do it.

• Should I buy this used MacBook??

I'm thinking of buying a used MacBook (I have to return the one I have from work because I am changing jobs)...it's almost 3 years old and here are the specs:
    Specs:
    2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    2 GB RAM
    250 GB hard drive
    Built-in dual-layer Superdrive to burn DVDs and CDs
    Built-in wifi and Bluetooth
    Built-in iSight camera
    Firewire 400 port and 2 USB 2.0 ports
    Intel GMA X3100 graphics
    Running OSX 10.6.4, fully updated.
    iLife 09 installed and updated.
    iWork 09 installed and updated.
    MS Office 2008
    Thanks!!

Sounds exactly like mine, Same basic specs and with MS Office 2008,
    Is it the White MacBook 13 inch ?
    Mine is a MacBook 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: (13-inch, Late 2009) – Model A1342 Polycarbonate Unibody ( MC207LL/A ), I upgraded the memory to 4GB and the Hard Drive to a 500GB 7200 RPM pretty much the day after I bought it. With the Microsoft Office 2008 installed I probably wouldn't get $625 for mine.
    The one you're asking about I wouldn't pay more than $500 at the most for, Give your local area CraigsList a try. I've seen more Mac's on there lately than you can imagine.

• If I buy a used Blackberry, do I need or do they automatically add data plan? I don't want it

I can upgrade, but not really sure if I want to pay an additional $30 for a data plan. I was thinking of buying a used blackberry first, can I use it for txt and calls, or do I need to add a data plan for it to work?
    I wish I could get the $9.99 plan, but the phones are junk.....help

spottedcatfish wrote:
    Gunit wrote:
    I can upgrade, but not really sure if I want to pay an additional $30 for a data plan. I was thinking of buying a used blackberry first, can I use it for txt and calls, or do I need to add a data plan for it to work?
    I wish I could get the $9.99 plan, but the phones are junk.....help
    If you activate a smartphone on the Verizon network, it will automatically add the $29.99/month unlimited data feature to your account.
    These phones do NOT need data to FUNCTION, and they could make calls, send texts, use wifi, etc. just fine without Verizon's data plan.  Verizon chooses to require you to pay for the data plan in order to access the privelege of activating that type of device on their network.
    The phones which require the $9.99/month plan ARE generally a bad value.  They make poor use of the data feature, and they will probably never be free of that requirement.  I would suggest looking at older 3GMM type phones.  Models like the enV2 and original Samsung Alias do not require the data plan but offer more substantial feature sets and higher quality than the currently available "Feature" phones.
    Thanks, it just seems crazy. I am eligible for 4 of my phones, for the "FREE PHONE EVERY 2 YRS", and it almost seems like I am down grading? We have a LG voyager, and 3 LG dares. There are no phones in the verizon line that compare to these with out going to a 9.99 or 29.99 extra/mth charge? It just does not seem right?
    Am I missing something?

• What kind of iphone5 shoud I buy for using in China? The contract free, unlocked one listed for $649 is OK for me?

What kind of iphone5 shoud I buy for using in China? The contract free, unlocked one listed for $649 is OK for me? Thanks!

China phones should be purchased there as they use unique carrier settings. Phones from other countries may not work properly.
    Also, the iPhone warranty is not international and won't be valid outside the country where the phone was purchased.

Maybe you are looking for