Trouble Booting to Ubuntu Live USB on T440

Hey,
I am having trouble booting to a Ubuntu Live USB on my T440. I turn on the laptop, press enter to interrupt the normal boot, and press F12 to select another boot option. But after selecting the appropritate USB, the screen goes black for a couple of seconds and then returns to the boot selection. It will not boot from the Ubuntu USB, only to the preinstalled Windows 8.
Other guides have recommended disabling Secure Boot (I have done this, it has not worked); others suggest enabling Secure Boot but changing to Legacy Boot (this didn't work for me either).
Once I can successfully boot to the USB, I will be installing Ubuntu, replacing Windows all together. I don't need help with that; just getting the computer to boot from the USB would be great.
Thanks.
Solved!
Go to Solution.

Fixed. My boot USB was made with Ubuntu's Startup Disk Creator (on my other Ubuntu system). On a hunch, I made another boot USB using Linux Pen Drive on the Windows 8 machine. That one worked. I presume it was related to the format of the USB (the working one being FAT32).
So if anyone wants to easily install a Linux distibution on a T440, make your boot USB on a Windows machine.

Similar Messages

• Not able to boot into Ubuntu live CD or USB - Satellite A300-13S

Hi there,
    I hope someone can help me on this. I've just got a new A300-13S pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium. I've managed to create a recovery DVD (after having the same hassle about having to use a specific brand of DVDs, as mentioned in other posts), and have tested the DVDs, which work fine.
    My problem is this: I would like to dual-boot with Ubuntu 8.10 and so have created a live CD to test that everything works before I carry out a full installation. I rebooted, but the laptop doesn't seem to see the live CD and boots straight into Windows. I have tried both the boot manager on F12 and changing the bios boot order via F2. Strangely enough, when the bios boot order is changed, Windows then can't see the DVD drive (via My Computer - I haven't checked other routes to the drive).
    I know that the DVD drive works during boot-up because I can boot into the Windows recovery DVDs.
    I thought that it could be a disk compatibility problem, but I can access the contents of the ubuntu CD (when the HDD is first in the bios boot order). I've also tried copying the files to a USB stick. The laptop can see the drive during boot-up, but won't consider the iso as a valid system. I've done the relevant md5sum checks and they are all fine. The live CDs also work in another computer.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I missing something?
    Thanks in advance - this is starting to drive me a bit nuts.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried changing the SATA setting but that doesn't seem to have solved the problem. Any other ideas?
    Cheers in advance

• Cannot boot without without first booting to ubuntu live disk

Hi All,
    I have a macbook pro late 2012 which had yosemite beta on it when I tried to install windows technical preview via bootcamp. Pretty bad idea, I suppose.
    However, this first went fine until some update on windows forced a reboot. After that it would not boot up again and question mark folder rised.
    I figured that I am able to make it boot again when using an ubuntu live disk and selecting "Check Disk". After that I reboot and Macintosh HD is able to boot.
    However, since I backed up all valuable data, I first removed Bootcamp on Yosemite and as that did not help, I opted for Internet Recover after various tries of reinstalling Windows and removing via bootcamp.
    So currently my macbook is on Mountain Lion with no (visible, at leas to me) Bootcamp partition
    When I don't use Ubuntu Live disk and try a Mac OS Thumb drive instead, the complete hard drive is missing in disk utility.
    What I also found out is that while being bootet to Mac OS i can safely restart multiple times. Only when shutting down completely reboot will not work and I'll get the question mark folder
    So here's the output of various command line scripts when booting to Mac OS Mountain Lion
    diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
       #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
       0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
       1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
       2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            499.2 GB   disk0s2
       3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
    diskutil cs list
    No CoreStorage logical volume groups found
    sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0
    gpt show: /dev/disk0: mediasize=500107862016; sectorsize=512; blocks=976773168
    gpt show: /dev/disk0: PMBR at sector 0
    gpt show: /dev/disk0: Pri GPT at sector 1
    gpt show: /dev/disk0: Sec GPT at sector 976773167
          start       size  index  contents
              0          1         PMBR
              1          1         Pri GPT header
              2         32         Pri GPT table
             34          6        
             40     409600      1  GPT part - C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B
         409640  975093952      2  GPT part - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
      975503592    1269536      3  GPT part - 426F6F74-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
      976773128          7        
      976773135         32         Sec GPT table
      976773167          1         Sec GPT header
    sudo fdisk /dev/disk0
    Disk: /dev/disk0
    geometry: 60801/255/63 [976773168 sectors]
    Signature: 0xAA55
             Starting       Ending
    #: id  cyl  hd sec -  cyl  hd sec [     start -       size]
    1: EE 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [         1 -  976773167] <Unknown ID>
    2: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused     
    3: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused     
    4: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused     
    If anyone could help me with this, I'd really be grateful.
    Many thanks and kind regards
    Jens

Already did that before reverting back to Mountain Lion without effect.
    However, will do so shortly and report back.
    In the meantime I downloaded testdisk tool and fired it up while being booted to Mac OS Mountain Lion
    TestDisk 7.0-WIP, Data Recovery Utility, January 2015
    Christophe GRENIER <[email protected]>
    http://www.cgsecurity.org
      TestDisk is free software, and
    comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    Select a media (use Arrow keys, then press Enter):
    >Disk /dev/disk0 - 500 GB / 465 GiB (RO)
    Disk /dev/rdisk0 - 500 GB / 465 GiB (RO)
    When I select /dev/disk0 and chose proceed this is the output
    Write access for this media is not available.
    TestDisk won't be able to modify it.
    - No partition from this disk must be mounted:
    Open the Disk Utility (In Finder -> Application -> Utility folder)
    and press Unmount button for each volume from this disk
    - This media may be physically write-protected, check the jumpers.
    >[ Continue ] Continue even if write access isn't available
    I chose Continue and this is the output
    isk /dev/disk0 - 500 GB / 465 GiB (RO)
    Please select the partition table type, press Enter when done.
    [Intel  ] Intel/PC partition
    >[EFI GPT] EFI GPT partition map (Mac i386, some x86_64...)
    [Humax  ] Humax partition table
    [Mac    ] Apple partition map
    [None   ] Non partitioned media
    [Sun    ] Sun Solaris partition
    [XBox   ] XBox partition
    [Return ] Return to disk selection
    Hint: EFI GPT partition table type has been detected.
    Note: Do NOT select 'None' for media with only a single partition. It's very
    rare for a disk to be 'Non-partitioned'.
    So I select "EFI GPT" and then "Analyse" which gives me this output
    Disk /dev/disk0 - 500 GB / 465 GiB - 976773168 sectors (RO)
    Current partition structure:
         Partition                  Start        End    Size in sectors
    1 P EFI System                    40     409639     409600 [EFI System Partitio
    2 P Mac HFS                   409640  975503591  975093952 [Macintosh HD]
    3 P Mac Boot               975503592  976773127    1269536 [Recovery HD]
    I select "quick search" which yields to this
         Partition               Start        End    Size in sectors
    >P EFI System                    40     409639     409600 [EFI]
    P Mac HFS                   409640  975503591  975093952
    P Mac HFS                975503592  976773127    1269536
    Structure: Ok.  Use Up/Down Arrow keys to select partition.
    Use Left/Right Arrow keys to CHANGE partition characteristics:
                    P=Primary  D=Deleted
    Keys A: add partition, L: load backup, T: change type, P: list files,
         Enter: to continue
    FAT32, blocksize=512, 209 MB / 200 MiB
    When I press "ENTER" and then select "Deeper Search" on the next screen I get listed a lot of "partitions"? Is this normal?
    Analyse sector      229376/976773167: 00%
    check_FAT: Unusual media descriptor (0xf0!=0xf8)
    Warning: number of heads/cylinder mismatches 16 (FAT) != 1 (HD)
    Warning: number of sectors per track mismatches 32 (FAT) != 1 (HD)
      EFI System                    40     409639     409600 [EFI]
    check_FAT: Unusual media descriptor (0xf0!=0xf8)
    Warning: number of heads/cylinder mismatches 16 (FAT) != 1 (HD)
    Warning: number of sectors per track mismatches 32 (FAT) != 1 (HD)
      EFI System                    46     409645     409600 [EFI]
    This is what I get when hitting stop after a short time. Please notice that the list continues to scroll down below entry 975093952
         Partition               Start        End    Size in sectors
    >D EFI System                    40     409639     409600 [EFI]
    D EFI System                    46     409645     409600 [EFI]
    D Mac HFS                   409640  975503591  975093952
    D Mac HFS                   439608  975533559  975093952
    D Mac HFS                   439888  975533839  975093952
    D Mac HFS                   440112  975534063  975093952
    D Mac HFS                   440528  975534479  975093952
    D Mac HFS                   440696  975534647  975093952
    D Mac HFS                   442176  975536127  975093952
    D Mac HFS                   442672  975536623  975093952
    D Mac HFS                   442904  975536855  975093952
    D Mac HFS                   443176  975537127  975093952
    Maybe this is of some help?
    Thanks a lot for your willingness to help out, much appreciated.
    Jens

• How 2 boot into ubuntu live cd in macbook?

i dont know if this is the appropriate forum or not but here is my query... how do i boot into a ubuntu live cd in macbook? the cd works lfine on a windows laptop. do i need to make some bios settings? the bootup seems to just ignore the ubuntu cd.
    Neerav

Daft question, but you are selecting the cdrom as startup disk, by holding the letter C down on the keyboard as the machine boots, aren't you?
    Personally I find holding down the 'alt/opt' key boot a better option, as the machine will show the bootable disks on the machine and then allow you to select the one you want. Not tried the ubuntu live, but this works fine with openSUSE and kubuntu 8.10 and on the icon I remember seeing the penguin next to the bootable cdrom. If the disk hasn't shown up in the graphical selection the chances are it is not a bootable disk.

• MacBook Pro 8,2 wont boot after Ubuntu live test and long press shutdown

i was trying ubuntu 12.10 on my Mac in a live environment the other day, and as usual the fans were spinning very fast and the system got hot. So i rebooted into OS X and then while using the Macbook, the fans started spinning unusually fast! So i long pressed the power button and it turned off. when i rebooted however, it flashed the little LED (i think thats what its called, on the right side of the front) rapidly and beeped. then after like 20 seconds, the chime but as soon as it had chimed, the mac rebooted and repeated the chime-reboot about 4 times. Then it boots up normally into OS X. I read online about manually flashing firmware but alas, no joy. Now my Mac just crashes anyhow and even if i try to use it by keeping it on sleep all the time, it just wont wake or it just crashes. Please help, i have no warranty and i dont live in a country where we have an apple genius bar or the like .

It's your hardware. Your model must have been released with Snow Leopard 10.6.4 or later. You should have the needed version on the original discs that came with the computer. If no discs came with the computer then it came with Lion or Mountain Lion pre-installed. If this is the case then see the following:
    How To Run Snow Leopard On A New Mac
    This does not apply to new Mac Minis or MacBook Airs. When newer models are introduced that also require Lion for hardware support, the techniques described below will no longer work with the possible exception of using Parallels 7.
    What has to be done:
      1. Create a new partition on the hard drive.
      2. Get a clone of a 10.6.8 Snow Leopard system. Put the cloned Snow Leopard
            system onto the new partition.
    Step One: Create a new partition on the hard drive
    To resize the drive and create a new partition do the following:
      1. Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the
                   COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart
                   the  computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until
                   the boot  manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the
                   downward  pointing arrow button.
              After the main menu appears select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the hard drive's main entry then click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. 
    2. You should see the graphical sizing window showing the existing partitions. A portion may appear as a blue rectangle representing the used space on a partition.
    3.           In the lower right corner of the sizing rectangle for each partition is a resizing gadget. Select it with the mouse and move the bottom of the rectangle upwards until you have reduced the existing partition enough to create the desired new volume's size. The space below the resized partition will appear gray. Click on the Apply button and wait until the process has completed.  (Note: You can only make a partition smaller in order to create new free space.)
    4.           Click on the [+] button below the sizing window to add a new partition in the gray space you freed up. Give the new volume a name, if you wish, then click on the Apply button. Wait until the process has completed.
    You should now have a new volume on the drive.
    It would be wise to have a backup of your current system as resizing is not necessarily free of risk for data loss.  Your drive must have sufficient contiguous free space for this process to work.
    Step Two: Obtain a clone of a Snow Leopard system:
    You will need access to a Mac already running Snow Leopard. You will need a 16 GB USB flash drive or an external hard drive to which you can clone the Snow Leopard system from the Mac that has Snow Leopard installed. Alternatives are:
    Option One:
    Install a new Snow Leopard system onto a USB flash drive. Boot the Mac used for installing with the USB flash drive. Update the flash drive system to 10.6.8 using the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 to update Snow Leopard. Verify that you can boot the Mac with the USB flash drive.
    Take the USB flash drive to your new Mac and try booting from it. If it works then clone the system from the flash drive to the newly made partition:
              Clone using Restore Option of Disk Utility
      1. Open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder.
      2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.
      3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.
      4. Check the box labeled Erase destination.
      5. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it to the Destination
          entry field.
      6. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to the Source entry field.
      7. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.
    Destination means the new partition on the internal drive. Source means the USB
    flash drive.
    Option Two:
    If you have a large enough external drive you can erase and use, then it would be easier to just clone the entire Snow Leopard system from the source Mac computer to the external drive.
              Clone using Restore Option of Disk Utility
      5. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it to the Destination
          entry field.
      6. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to the Source entry field.
    Destination means the external drive. Source means the Snow Leopard Mac's
    internal drive.
    After cloning verify that it will boot the source Mac. If so then take the external drive to your new Mac boot with it. If all is well then restore the clone to the new partition on your new Mac:
              Restore the clone using Disk Utility
          entry field.
    Destination means the new partition on the internal drive. Source means the external drive.
    You will need a retail copy of Snow Leopard. If you need to purchase Snow Leopard contact Customer Service: Contacting Apple for support and service. The price is $29.00 plus tax. You will receive physical media - DVD - by mail.

• Arch x86_64 won't boot, but i686 will. Live USB and HDD.

To be more succinct, what could cause 64 bit arch not to boot when 32 bit arch boots fine on a non-UEFI system that supports 64 bit, when all other variables are constant?
    My first response seeing this post would be to immediately assume the noob (me) posting this doesn't know the difference between a 32 and 64 bit system. However, "ubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso" (latest 64 bit ubuntu iso) boots from live USB and installs without error. It also came preinstalled with Windows 7 (64 bit), so I'm relatively sure it supports x86_64.
    I wrote "archlinux-2014.08.01-dual.iso" (MD5 verified) to my USB. Selecting i686 boots fine. Selecting x86_64 restarts my system, eventually sending me back to the arch live menu after it posts.
    Upon recommendation by a WonderWoofy on reddit, I tried to install arch x86_64 by bootstrapping and chrooting from the 64 bit ubuntu live usb. I ended up with same problem, where attempting to load arch reboots my system immediately.
    Right now, I'm assuming it's the same issue booting from the live usb (arch iso) and from the arch installation on my hard drive, since they seem identical to me. I haven't tried recreating the install for i686 to see if it works (mainly because it's late -- if it'll help I'll do it upon suggestion).
    Here's the only text that shows once I attempt to boot into arch. This is from the hard drive and using syslinux (which is pointed at my root partition on sda -- I don't have a boot partition).
    Loading ../vmlinuz-linux... ok
    Loading ../initramfs-linux.img...ok
    Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)... ok
    Which doesn't look like it's messing up anywhere...
    And of course I'm a noob so go easy on me x)
    UPDATE: I found this thread but I'm not seeing his error message, so I'm not sure what to do.
    Last edited by SirProudNoob (2014-08-13 02:54:24)

It's an Intel Core 2 Quad processor. Are there any more diagnostic commands that would be helpful? I didn't see anything else in util-linux that might help...
    Here's the output for "lscpu":
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lscpu
    Architecture: x86_64
    CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
    Byte Order: Little Endian
    CPU(s): 4
    On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3
    Thread(s) per core: 1
    Core(s) per socket: 4
    Socket(s): 1
    NUMA node(s): 1
    Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
    CPU family: 6
    Model: 23
    Stepping: 10
    CPU MHz: 2327.537
    BogoMIPS: 4655.07
    L1d cache: 32K
    L1i cache: 32K
    L2 cache: 2048K
    NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-3

• Arch boot using live-usb freezes on "Triggering uevents.."

I have been trying to install Arch on my new machine but am having issues getting it to work. I have in the past successfully installed the OS on my laptop, but for some reason it just simply will not work with my desktop.
    Relevant Hardware:
    MSI Z87 Gaming Motherboard (UEFI)
    Intel i5 4690k
    I do know, however, that the bios on my laptop is not of the UEFI type which could be the underlying issue here. To make the live-usb I do exactly as the guide states and use USB-Writer. I have also tried Universal-USB-installer and Rufus in an effort to get a working live-usb but all have the same issue in that they appear to freeze at the same spot.
    An interesting note: I am able to successfully boot from my live-usb on my laptop (the very same that fails on my desktop). Therefore, I must be missing something specific to a piece of hardware my machine has or the fact that it uses UEFI. I was able to successfully create a gparted bootable usb to partition my drive, but the Arch image does not work so easily for some reason.
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by sherrellbc (2014-11-27 03:51:34)

On the beginner page here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/be … t_problems
    It gives a few troubleshooting ideas, specifically if your boot freezes.I just wanted to add here that I added "acpi=off" at the end of the string as the guide states and it boots now. I had tried this earlier but did some tweaking in my bios settings regarding boot settings so I am not sure if this alone did this trick.
    Last edited by sherrellbc (2014-11-27 04:29:10)

• Satellite L505D-S5986 - trouble installing Ubuntu using live USB/CD

Hello all I need urgent support from all and the ubuntu community.
    I am a passionate Ubuntu user and I have been using for a year. My old laptop got crashed when I flashed the bios.
    I now bought a TOSHIBA L505d-S5986 laptop which has amd athlon 2 dual core M300 processor and ATI Radon 4100 video card.
    I had huge trouble installing ubuntu when I put the live usb/cd it took very long time to boot and when it got inside the OS every thing freeze.
    I then tried fedora but even that dint work well it got into the same problem freeze!
    I searched and found that its due to the error acpi:lnxvideo:' unexpected exit with status 0x0009.
    This also given in this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1301101
    So I put the acpi=off in the grub boot menu and then added to the gconf and now ubuntu is working. But the system monitor shows just one processor in use (again due to disabling acpi I guess) and ofcourse when I remove the power ubuntu dosent dim the screen and dosent show any battery sign.
    All linux guys and developers please post a solution for this hardware module.
    Awaiting your replies
    Thanks
    Vineeth

Hi Vineeth,
    This is very strange and Im only using Knopix bootable DVD sometimes so Im not a Linux expert.
    There is no official support for Linux from Toshiba but the only interesting that I have founded is this:
    http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=14
    Maybe there you can get more help.
    Good luck

• Issue on linux live usb key boot

Hi all,
    I ve several laptops at home : X40, T30, T42p and a Dell D410. I ve a Corasair mini voyager 4Go usb key.
    A live ubuntu 9. is intalled on the usb key. I ve made this installation with this tool : Linux Live Usb Creator. This works on the dell D410, i get the linux live booting fine on the usb key. On the three IBM I got the same error message "Boot Error".
    The three IBM laptops have an up to date bios thanks to Thinkvantage System Update
    I ve set the Bios Config->USB->Enable
    Have you already experience this boot issue ?
    Have you any idea to solve this issue ?
    Regards
    Pierr0t

I have had that error. I can burn a cd or create live usb pen drive and it will work on another machine but not on my dell desktop. It also comes up with boot ( and root) error. Strange thing is sometimes with a live cd it does and sometimes with others it doesnot...hmm
    Ideas anyone?

• How do I create multiple live USBs of Operating systems to boot from on one flashdrive?

How do I create multiple live USBs of Operating systems to boot from on one flashdrive?
    I am attempting to create multiple live USBs within one flashdrive so that i can boot various operating systems without having to buy multiple USb sticks. I am using a Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 Operating System currently. I am using the Terminal provided by the OS.
    I would like to try Debian, Kali, Precise Puppy, and Sabayon- with one space left empty for whatever Linux OS I would like to try next. I have partitioned an 8GB flashdrive into the following sections:
    name of intended OS,     space allocated for it:
    1)Debian ........................1.32 GB
    2)Kali..............................2.61GB
    3)Precise Puppy..............163.7MB
    4)Sabayon.......................1.77GB
    5)TBD..............................2.14GB
    I have figured out how to change the .iso files of the operating systems into .img files with the following commands:
    hdiutil convert -format UDRW /path/to/input.iso -o /path/to/output.img
    a .img.dmg file is created, this is corrected in the next line of code *please note: I am a a very beginner at programming, and would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you!
    mv /path/to/output/file.img{.dmg,}
    This is where I started to get confused:
    I entered diskutil list to find the location of the partitions on my flashdrive, and this is the relevant section:
    /dev/disk1
       #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
       0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *8.0 GB     disk1
       1:                 DOS_FAT_32 DEBIAN               1.3 GB     disk1s1
       2:                 DOS_FAT_32 KALI                    2.6 GB     disk1s2
       3:                 DOS_FAT_32 PRECISE            163.7 MB   disk1s3
       4:                 DOS_FAT_32 SABAYON           1.8 GB     disk1s5
       5:                 DOS_FAT_32 TBD                     2.1 GB     disk1s6
    This is the code I attempted to use and the subsequent result:
    charles-burtons-mac-mini:~ charlesburton$ sudo dd if=/Users/charlesburton/Desktop/debian-live-7.2-i386-gnome-desktop.img of=/dev/disk1s1 bs=1m
    dd: /dev/disk1s1: Resource busy
    *at this point I went to the Disk Utility GUi and unmounted only the DEBIAN partition, now back to the terminal*
    charles-burtons-mac-mini:~ charlesburton$ sudo dd if=/Users/charlesburton/Desktop/debian-live-7.2-i386-gnome-desktop.img of=/dev/disk1s1 bs=1m
    dd: /dev/disk1s1: end of device
    1259+0 records in
    1258+1 records out
    1320005632 bytes transferred in 1011.966891 secs (1304396 bytes/sec)
    Please may someone help explain why I had a return value of +1 in my records in and how I can make it work properly.

I would like to know the answer to this as well.  I tried renaming the 3D version by adding 3D after it, but it still not a separate movie in iTunes.
    It's putting them in the same folder.

• Dual boot with Ubuntu 13.0 using bootable USB problem (Y410P)

Hi I recently bought Lenovo Y410P and have been since trying for hours to dual boot with Ubuntu but I was unsuccessful.
    I formatted by USB drive in FAT format, and created a bootable usb using Pendrive. Then I changed the Boot Mode to Legacy Support and the boot order so it boots from the flash storage first.
    Then it hung on a purple screen like this: http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/3509/dgfdgrunningoraclevmvir.png
    and the keyboard doesn't work and I couldn't go any further from here.
    So I tried to use a different program called Unetbootin, and the problem got worse and it just stopped working at the option screen where you select whether to just try Ubuntu or install it, etc.
    I read it somewhere the recent version of Unetbootin doesn't work, so I got the 474 version of it, and finally I was able to select from the option menu and it didn't hang. However when I clicked on Install Ubuntu, it just stopped there for a while, and then the boot failed and moved onto Windows 8 again.
    I looked at the USB drive, and I realized the folder and some config files are names isolinux instead of syslinux, so I changed them, and now I'm getting the "SYSLINUX 3.86 2010..." words on the black screen and it hangs there.
    I saw a similar message before using Pendrive and it was like "SYSLINUX 4.10 2012...". That was because the flash drive wasn't formatted in FAT (it was FAT32). So I re-checked the drive, but it is indeed formatted in FAT so I'm not sure why now I'm getting a similar message.
    It will be much appreciated if you could give me some suggestions as to how to solve this problem.
    Thanks

Something else you could try.  Not sure it will make any difference.
    Skip the boot creation tools and just boot the thing in UEFI mode.
    Use the latest (12.10 or later will work, IIRC) 64-bit Ubuntu ISO.  Format your flash drive as a single FAT32 partition.  Extract the contents of the ISO to the flash drive.  Use 7zip for Windows, or your favorite Linux de-archiving tool.  That's it.  
    [edit] I don't believe the partition needs to be set active, but haven't tested that.
    Set BIOS boot mode to UEFI.  Even secure boot mode should work withe a new enough Ubuntu - but isn't necessary.
    Give that a try.  If it still barfs at the same place, mess around with the start-up graphics options.
    Z.
    The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.  The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog
    English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество

• Trouble Booting from USB Drive

So I am using Syslinux this time around on my Arch install. Everything about it is fine, except that now I am trying to boot from a Backtrack 5 R3 USB which also uses Syslinux (I think, via uNetbootin) and it loads straight to the normal Arch Syslinux. How can I make it boot to the USB?
    Thanks a bunch,
    - Yorak

I was not referring to the Arch USB drive. I used the Win32 Disk Imager program as suggested in the Arch Wiki, and that works great. Boots right up and I am able to do my business. My problem was specifically trying to find a method to get Backtrack 5 R3 to run from a USB drive like my Arch one. uNetbootin does not work. I tried Linux Live USB as well to no avail. In my BIOS, the USB drive is selected first. Sorry guys, I guess my issue is best suited in the Backtrack Forums. I was thinking it had something to do with Syslinux until I thought harder about it, lol. Thank you all so much for your replies though. :-)

• Trouble booting from USB/Sata

I have a T430s, and put a different drive in it to run Linux. After connecting the previous drive to a SATA-USB connector, I tried booting from the external (Windows) disk, but am not getting anywhere. I moved that drive (recognized in the BIOS utility) to the top of the list, but when I start I get a message to "remove disk" and start again, as if it's trying to boot from a non-bootable CD.
    Any ideas? I need to run native Windows periodically but hate having to keep swapping out the drives. This should work, right?
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Windows won't run through USB port by default. You'll need some fiddling to get it to work.
    http://reboot.pro/topic/9196-tutorial-boot-windows-7-from-usb-hard-disk-by-karyonix/
    W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/688/1376, 21GB RAM, 500GB + 750GB HDD, FHD screen
    X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
    Y3P: 5Y70, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, QHD+ screen

• Booting from iso from usb drive

I want to boot arch from iso from my thumb drive. Based on the wiki article on Grub, I've put this entry to my grub.cfg:
    menuentry "Arch Linux x86_64" --class iso {
    set isofile="/iso/archlinux-2014.05.01-dual.iso"
    loopback loop $isofile
    linux (loop)/arch/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz archisolabel=ARCH_201405 img_dev=/dev/disk/by-label/IKAROS img_loop=$isofile earlymodules=loop
    initrd (loop)/arch/boot/x86_64/archiso.img
    Grub seems to load the kernel fine, but the kernel then fails to mount the drive with the following message:
    :: Setup a loop device from /iso/archlinux-2014.05.01-dual.iso located at device /dev/disk/by-label/IKAROS
    :: Mounting '/dev/disk/by-label/IKAROS' to '/run/archiso/img_dev'
    [ 9.556128] FAT-fs (sdb1): IO charset iso8859-1 not found
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
    missing codepage or helper program, or other error
    In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmesg | tail or so.
    ERROR: Failed to mount '/dev/disk/by-label/IKAROS'
    Falling back to interactive prompt
    You can try to fix the problem manually, log out when you are finished
    sh: can't acces tty: job control turned off
    [rootfs /]#
    I know I could dd the iso on the usb stick and probably avoid this, but I like my setup with several isos in a directory and appropriate grub entries. Does anybody know how to fix this?
    Last edited by Remedan (2014-05-02 19:23:41)

elken wrote:I made it sometime last year and it has a load of ISOs on it but yes Arch was one of them. It was MultiCD sorry, not yumi. Like I said, it was a year ago. MultiCD was a piece of cake.
    Well, with MultiCD I can create an image which can boot multiple isos and write it on the drive. The thing is, I want to be able to use the drive as a storage device also. So I'd like something that would allow me to have a FAT partition on the drive and boot from that.
    But the core of my trouble is that the live arch doesn't seem to be able to handle the FAT partition.

• Why can I access files using ubuntu live cd but not my mac?

Hello,
    Every since I have upgraded to Lion then to Mountain Lion I have had nothing but trouble with my mac crashing and not being able to repair the harddrive. I use time machine with an external hard drive to back up everything (also using online server to back up things as well).
    My issue is that disk utility never works ( ever ) and when I have trouble the hard drive and my external hard drive always show up grayed out and disk utility says the disk is broken and cannot be repaired. Which the disk are fine because I can access them using a ubuntu live cd no problem.
    My main question is how is this not being addressed by apple? This is clearly a bug - there is nothing wrong with my external harddrive or my macs hardrive - yet when I restart my mac I fear it will never start again(in its current state) and the disk utility just doesn't work the only answers I ever get is the hard drive is bad (which is not the case being I can access it with the ubuntu - or even reinstall everything and it works fine etc...)
    There is some major bugs and I can say I never had these problems losing my data with a windows machine (though I am not a big windows fan). Apple why doesn't the disk utility work?
    Also why when I update my mac and the mac restarts itself does it not eject my external hardrive - also why if you don't eject the harddrive it ruins the data on the hard drive or at least makes it grayed out or corrupt in my mac - but I can copy the files in ubuntu and put them back then it works just fine? These are serious issues and I am really shocked that the mac community would stand for this kind of thing - I am not the only one with these issues I see thousands of others with the same issues so when are they going to be fixed?
    If what I am saying is unclear - just google mac hardrive cannot be repaired - and set the time for the last month you will see. Also to those who have these troubles simply use a ubuntu live cd - copy all your files to the home folder then place them back to where the reside and mac will reconize them again - worked every time for me so far no thanks to disk utility.

Your booting off a Ubuntu disk which has it's own operating system on it and on another medium that is free of issues, unlike your current hard drive running OS X 10.8.
    I really don't advise you directly installing Linux on a Mac as it's much more complicated that it appears. Also I don't advise you using Linux anything to tinker with a Mac unless you really really know what your doing.
    Since your Mac's software is broken you don't know currently and shouldn't be using Linux as a band-aid solution to your problem.
    My suggestion is you FIX your primary boot drive.
    disk utility says the disk is broken and cannot be repaired
    This calls for a complete zero erase and install of the affected area, if it's just the Macintosh HD partition then fine, it's a hold command r boot into Recovery HD and use Disk Utiltiy there to Erase with the middle secure erase feature (important) and then a reinstall of OS X 10.8 from Apple's servers over a fast Ethernet connection.
    If your GUID partition table or Recovery HD is affected, then you need to command option r boot into Internet Recovery and select the entire hard drive for the same zero/middle erase proceedure, unless you have a older MacBook Pro then you need to use option key boot off the 10.6 disks and use the Secure Erase/ Zero on the entire drive, install 10.6, then update to 10.6.8, then AppStore upgrade to 10.8 again.
    You need to only restore user files into same named accounts from a Storage Drive backup, do not use Migration or Setup assistant as your TimeMachine drive data is likely corrupted. This means all new softwre installs from original sources as well.
    Read through my many User Tips, you'll be fixing your own machine in no time.
    https://discussions.apple.com/community/notebooks/macbook_pro?view=documents#/?p er_page=50
    also why if you don't eject the harddrive it ruins the data on the hard drive or at least makes it grayed out or corrupt in my mac
    Windows and Linux also has to "safely remove hardware" or "unmount" before ejecting a drive as well or it corrupts the data.
    I guess this feature came about so one can disconnect a drive without having to physically remove it and wear out the ports doing so.

Maybe you are looking for

• Deleted emails in Outlook Express inbox

Deleted items in inbox of Outlook Express was emptied 'automatically' (without a command), probably my inbox was filled to much.  2800 e-mails appeared in the dust bin as a batch. I transferred (relocated) them to: "Local setting/Application data/Ide

• Sequnce Number generation in Message Mapping..

Hello All, I am using this thread as a reference for declaring a Counter for unique sequence number generation... Sequence Number in XI Mapping -> define a global variable by clicking the JAVA_SECTION_TOOLTIP icon on the design tab of source message

• Email signature Image vanish, empty box display. Please help

I have added an image to my email signature. It was working fine and suddenly the image vanish with empty box. Tried several times, the empty box keep coming after I restart my IPAD. I was just did copy and paste the signature. Please help

• UMS and URL to FIM

Hi all, the "drill to origin" FIM feature is available in BPC NW. It uses the drill through BPC feature to generate an URL to FIM. In this URL there is a fpmLogonToken which is used to logon to FIM using the SSO. Instead of using the drill through me

• CVP and other Type 10 VRU PIM on the same PG

HI All, I have a lab that currently has a CM and CVP (Type 10) PIM on the same PG.  We will be adding a Nuance IVR (Nuance is being used as an IVR with Translation Routing not just TTS/ASR) to the lab for testing because the Nuance IVR is already in