Best lens for a T3

I bought a T3 a few years ago.  It has served it's purpose for basic pictures but I want to buy a better lense that will work for action shots, outdoors and low light settings.  I realize I might have to buy more than one lense but I am starting to get into photography more and my budget is very tight right now.  

The point of a camera having a "removeable" lens is that no single lens is ever "best"... but you can swap in the lens which is most opimal for the situation at-hand.
I have an EF 135mm f/2L USM --  a fantastic lens, great for low-light and subjects at a moderate distance.  It's also one of the least expensive of the L series lenses (the L series lenses are Canon's top-end glass).   But as this is a prime (non-zoom) lens, it doesn't have the versatility if your subject shooting distance and framing need to keep changing... which is why just about everyone makes a 70-200mm zoom.  Further, most manufacturers make that 70-200mm zoom in a version that can provide f/2.8 at any focal length in the range.
By using the lower focal ratio versions of the lens, the lens gathers more light while the shutter is open.  The f-stop (focal ratio) is the ratio of the focal length divided by the diameter of the lens (clear aperture).  The bigger that diameter, the more light it collects.  The ratios happen to use even powers of the square root of 2.  f/5.6, for example, is √2^5, f/4 is √2^4.  f/2.8 is √2^3, f/2 is √2^2, and so on.  Notice how each square root of 2 is being raised to one power less each time we move down to a lower stop.  The reason the square root of 2 is the all-important base value is because each time you change the diameter of a circle by a factor of the square root of 2 (approximately 1.4) you will either DOUBLE or HALVE the area of that circle (depending on whether you are making the circle larger or smaller of course). 
This means an f/4 lens litterally is collecting twice as much light as an f/5.6 lens (allowing you to either reduce the ISO or halve the amount of time that the shutter needs to remain open to capture the same exposure.)  An f/2.8 lens is double the f/4 lens... or four times the f/5.6 lens.  An f/2 lens is double again (or 8 times more light than the f/5.6 lens).   A couple of stops makes a huge difference.
But there are two trade-offs... as the aperture increases in size, you also make the "depth of field" (the range of distances at which subjects nearer or farther than your intended focus distance will also appear to be in reasonable/acceptable focus.  This means if you need subjects both near and far to be focused nicely then a low focal ratio is working against you (but these are laws of physics so we just have to put up with them. )
The second trade-off is physical and economic.  When you increase the diameter of the glass so that you can collect more light, the glass also gets thicker and thus heavier.  But also, the dispersion increases as well.  Dispersion is the property that causes light to split into it's different wavelengths (like the rainbow that you get when you shine a "white" light through a prism.)  This causes the images to go soft (especially near the edges).  When you zoom in to the corners to inspect the image, you may notice that edges of objects have a "purple fringe" on one edge and a "red fringe" on the opposite edge.  That's the light starting to split into a rainbow spectrum due to dispersion (the name for this is "chromatic aberration").   It turns out you can correct for this -- not perfectly, but mostly.  To do this, you'd need to add more corrective elements of different shapes to reverse the dispersion problem.  Different materials can be used to make the "glass" and some recipies with exotic substances (translation:  expensive) will greatly improve the situation.  Canon sometimes uses fluorite.  Fluorite is a crystal that has low-dipsersion properties.  It occurs in nature but only in small sizes and always cloudy/impure (not suitable for making a lens).  So they "grow" their own fluorite crystals in a kiln.  But to "grow" these crystals without impurities means it has to be grown slowly... it can take months to grow the crystals to a point where they are large enough to be ground into lenses.  
This means you are using more expensive glass which is harder to produce and it also means you are adding even more glass (more weight) and of course this drives up the cost of the lens even further.
This is why you tend to not find lenses which are versatile, good in low light (low focal ratio), with high image quality, AND inexpensive.  What you need to do to the lens to make it good in low light and still maintain a high image quality definitely drives up the price tag.
You can find budget lenses but you always have to ask... what compromises are being made in order to keep the costs low?  
Lenses are always a game of trade-offs.  There's a continuum of price ranges, capabilities, and qualities.  The good stuff is also the expensive stuff.    If it were possible to make a "good", "cheap", "low-light" zoom... then we'd all own it and manufacturers wouldn't even bother to make the expensive versions because there would be no market for it.
Tim Campbell
5D II, 5D III, 60Da

Similar Messages

• Best lens for Canon 50D to shoot sports

I am looking for a lens for my Canon 50D to take sport shots of my boys?  Any suggestions?

f/2.8 constant aperture and moderate to long telephoto.
    Really depends on how close you can get to your boys.  70-200/2.8 is a common sports lens, but you'll see the pro photogs have crazy stuff like 300/2.8 and 500/4.
    A 70-200/2.8 will run you around $800-2000 depending on brand/features - The Tamron ones with no IS are around $800, I think the Canon L glass with IS is in the $2000 range.
    A 300/2.8 will be a few thousand, a 500/4 will be $5k+ easily.
    Note:  If only outdoors in daytime, you may be able to get away with one of the (far cheaper) 70-300 f/3.5-5.6 lenses.  But these won't work well for indoor or night sports.
    *disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.

• Best lens for T4i for shooting at night with bright lights?

I am looking for a lens for my Canon Rebel T4i. I am a news photographer and I shoot fire, police, and ambulance scenes at night where there are flashing lights like this: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3857/15157183675_9500a2f415_b.jpg. My current lens is coming out blurry at times and overall quality is not good. I'm willing to spend a few hundred dollars on it, but nothing really expensive. 

Hello sambo613,
    The lens that you would want would be one with a larger aperture that will allow more light into the camera.  One of the more budget friendly lenses that you might want to look into would be the EF 85mm f/1.8 USM or the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM.  Either of these will feature a larger aperture value than what comes with the stock kit lens. 
    EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
    EF 50mm f/1.4 USM 
    Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

• Best Lens for Real Estate and Landscape photography? Interior / Exterior residential homes.

I'm using a 6D.

The "shift" aspect is used to correct for that "leaning" look of buildings ... or the trapezoidal look of doors & windows when shooting interiors.  But the shift aspect of the lens is actually fairly easy to understand.  Anyone could pick that up fairly quickly.
    The "tilt" aspect -- used to alter the plane of the depth of field... that's the tricky bit.  That takes some time to learn what it's doing, how it does it, and then LOTS and LOTS of practice.  That's the part that confuses most people.  But you don't actually have to use that part (just set a high focal ratio).  
    I still DO NOT recommend these lenses for a beginner.  But then I don't recommend HDR for a beginner either.  Even understanding how to use Photoshop to perform perspective distortion correction using a "transform" tool may be a bit much for a beginner. 
    I'm the sort that will say:  "Go learn the basics with this easy-to-use technique... it will get pretty good results without too much fuss.  But when you find that it's not getting the results that some world-famous photography is able to get... it may be because that photographer is using these more advanced tools.  Someday you too may want to use those more advanced tools."
    I include it for completeness.  My opinion is that when I leave out some secret (even though it's advanced) then someone is going to beat themselves up trying to understand what they're doing wrong because they aren't able to acheive a result -- only because they didn't realize that a different tool is needed.
    Tilt-Shift lenses are the ideal lens for architecture and landscape.  That's their sweet spot.  So if someone says "I want to architecture and landscape" I almost feel like I'm misleading them to omit that information.
    Tim Campbell
    5D II, 5D III, 60Da

• Best lens for indoor video using a EOS 7D

I want to do interviews using my 7D. I purchased an EF 50mm lens but it seems that I can't get far enough away from my subject/s to get tehm completely in the frame. After sepperating the subject from the background the maximum distance I can get away from them is about 12 foot. I know that my 7D is a cropped frame camera so therefore it increases the mm, is there a chart that I could use to determine the right lens to use?
    Thanks in advance
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Howard just try a 17-40mm f4 L. You will love it on the 7D.
    EOS 1Ds Mk III, EOS 1D Mk IV EF 50mm f1.2 L, EF 24-70mm f2.8 L,
    EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 EX APO
    Photoshop CS6, ACR 8.7, Lightroom 5.7

• Best wide-angle lens for Canyon shots?

Hi Experts!
    I'm a novice in photography and am going on a giant trip through Arizona/Utah this summer. I'll be visiting all the major Canyon National Parks (e.g. Grand, Zion, Bryce, Antelope, Arches, and more!) and would like a wide-angle lens for my trip.
    I have the Canon Rebel SL1. The only lenses I have currently are:
    18-55mm EF-S IS STM 
    55-250mm EF-S IS STM
    18-135mm EF-S IS STM
    I've never had a lens that DIDN'T zoom, but there have been many occasions I wanted a wider lens than 18mm. I have absolutely no idea where to start when it comes to looking for a wide-angle lens though.. I'd also be open to suggestions for a smaller range zoom if those are good too..?
    Fast auto-focus is important for me since I'm usually on the go-go-go during my trips. 
    Any recommendations would be appreciated. Explanations of why would also helpful. Thanks so much!
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

The best (and only actually) currently manufactured ultra-wide for EF-S cameras is the EF-S 10-22.  Canon just announced a 10-18 STM that will be released soon, but that's probably still a month off.  I still think the 10-22 is a better lens (for my needs), but the 10-18 comes in at a very good price point ($300) and adds image stabilization.  But you'd have to wait for it.
    Edit: I should say, the 10-22 is currently the only Canon manufactured ultrawide for EF-S.  Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron also make options for slightly cheaper.

• What's the best Telephoto Zoom lens for canon rebel T3??

Hi, i have a canon rebel t3 and i want a telephoto lens , but i don't know which lens to take between Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM and Canon EF-S IS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, I generally like to shoot street, abstract and nature photos and I'm not sure which lens is going to be more suitable to my needs...

Vasanthkumar and Sami:
    There are actually 3 lenses that are pretty similar in range and price:  the 55-250, the 70-300 and the 75-300.  Of the 3, the 75-300 is rated poorest quality.
    Here is a tool that lets you compare image quality between 2 lenses.  You can even see them at different lengths and at different apertures.
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx
    And here are reviews of all 3 lenses:
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-300mm-f-4-5.6-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-75-300mm-f-4-5.6-III-USM-Lens-Review.aspx
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-55-250mm-f-4-5.6-IS-Lens-Review.aspx
    Among the 3, I would choose the 70-300 IS.  It has Image Stabilization, and for the price it really has good image quality.
    My 2nd choice would be the 55-250 IS.  Same reasons as above.  I actually owned this lens for a while, and it was indeed capable of taking a sharp picture.
    I personally would not go with the 75-300.  No IS, for one thing.  More importantly, it is not very sharp according to reviews.  The small price savings vs. the 2 better lenses would not be worth it to me if all my photos suffered noticably. 
    To quote the review above on this lens, "If you care about great image quality and sharp photos, the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Lens is not for you. And Photoshop cannot enhance details that are not there."
    Good luck!
    Scott
    Canon 6D, Canon T3i, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; EF 85mm f/1.8; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites
    Why do so many people say "fer-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

• Best reasonably priced macro lens for a 70d

Hi i have got a canon 70d and have just started doing alot of macro photography (Flowers bugs etc) i've been using the the 18-135mm kit lens but now i know im enjoying it im going to get a mocro lens. Cant afford nothing to major as saving for wedding and house. Was just looking for some advice on reasonably priced macro lenses. Any Advice welcome..
    Thanks in advance
    Darren 

amfoto1 wrote:
    Actually, it's hard to go wrong with macro lenses... Most give excellent image quality, so it tends to be the other features that are deciding factors. I have no idea what you consider "reasonably priced".... To one person that might be no more than $100, while to another it might be anything under $1000.
    Canon EF 50/2.5 Compact Macro is currently about $270... As an EF lens, this can be used on both your crop camera and on full frame cameras. But this is a micro motor focus drive lens (slower, hunts more), and on it's own it only goes to 1:2 or one half life size magnification. To get full 1:1 magnification with it, there's a separately sold converter that costs another $270. You also could use macro exension tubes - that sell for between $70 and $200 for a set - to increase the lens' magnification. All the other macro lenses listed here are able to do 1:1 without need for any adapter. 50mm is fairly short focal length, putting you relatively close to your subject. This lens' closest focus is about 4 inches (with 1:1 adapter... compare to 12 inches with a 100mm lens). Personally I use shorter macro focal lengths mostly in-studio where they can work well.... but prefer a longer focal length in the field. Uses 52mm filters. No lens hood offered or supplied, it doesn't really need one because the front element is deeply recessed into the lens.
    SIgma 50/2.8 Macro lens sells for about $350. I don't know much about this lens, it's been around for a while. I know it's 1:1 capable, both crop and full frame capable and has a micro motor focus drive. Comes with a lens hood. Uses 55mm filters.
    Canon EF-S 60/2.8 USM Macro is on sale at the moment for $420. It's an EF-S lens, which will work fine on your 70D, but is not usable on a full frame camera. USM focusing drive is a bit faster, quieter and more precise (see below about focus speed). It's full 1:1 capable, a little longer focal length than 50mm, but not a lot. It's relatively compact and it is "internal focusing" or IF, which means it doesn't change length when focused. It uses 58mm filters and the matched lens hood sells separately for $24 (third party hoods are available for less).
    Tamron  SP 60/2.0 "Di II"  Macro/Portrait lens is selling for about $525 and, like the Canon 60mm Macro, is a "crop only" lens. Fine for your 70D, but not usable on full frame cameras. It's also IF, but using a micro motor type focus drive. I've been working with one of these lately, giving it a try. I find it's focus slower than Canon USM, but generally plenty fast  for most macro/portrait usage. The main attraction of this lens is its f2.0 aperture... fully a stop larger than most other macro lenses (Zeiss makes a couple f2.0 macro lenses, but they are manual focus only and quite expensive). This is nice particularly when using the lens for portraiture. It uses 55mm filters and comes with a lens hood.
    Canon MP-E 65mm is not a lens I'd recommend to anyone just starting out shooting macro. This is an ultra high magnification lens... actually can do no less than 1:1 and goes as high as 5:1. That's a range well beyond what many people shoot. It's also about $1000 and stricly manual focus. It's a superb lens, usable on both crop sensor and full frame cameras, and one I use personally. But it's still not something I'd recommend to anyone just starting to shoot macro. It's rather challenging to work with, pretty much a "tripod only" lens.  Comes with a tripod mounting ring, uses 58mm filters and an odd little lens hood sells separately for around $40.
    Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX DG macro lens.... is another I don't know a whole lot about. Like their 50/2.8 macro, it's been around a long time and uses a micro motor type focus drive. It is the first lens in this list that has a Focus Limiter (2 ranges), which is a feature that can be helpful speeding up auto focusing. It sells for about $470, uses 62mm filters and comes with a matched lens hood.
    Tamron SP 90mm f2.8 Di is another excellent design that's been around a long, long time. I've still got and use manual focus versions of this lens dating back to the 1980s. The currently available micro motor version sells for $500 and, as a Di lens is usable on both crop and full frame cameras. It's got a focus limiter (2 ranges),  uses 55mm filters and includes a matching lens hood. It is not an IF lens.
    Tamron SP 90mm f2.8 Di VC USD is an updated version of their venerable 90mm, now with both an improved AF system (USD is similar to Canon's USM) and image stabilization (Tamron calls it VC). It is said to be better sealed against dust and moisture, and also uses an aperture with 9 curved blades to make for smoother background blurs. This lens is Internal Focusing (IF), has a Focus Limiter (4 ranges!), was introduced within the  last year or so selling for about  $750, uses 58mm filters and comes with a matched lens hood.
    Canon EF 100/2.8 USM is another excellent lens I use personally. This is the older version of this lens without IS (and not L-series, but you would be hard pressed to tell any difference in build quality, comparing it to some L-series such as the 180/3.5L macro). A key feature here is that it can optionally be fitted with a tripod mounting ring.... something that's not possible with most of the other lenses mentioned here. For macro work, I consider a tripod mount a very important feature, though some of the smaller lenses might be fairly usable on a tripod without one. This lens has USM focus drive, is IF, has a Focus Limiter (2 range), sells for about $550 presently, and uses 58mm filters. A matched lens hood is quite large and sells separately for about $40.  Tripod Ring B to fit it sells for about $140 (there are cheaper third party hoods and tripod rings).
    Canon EF 100/2.8 L IS USM is a newer model that primarily is upgraded with the addition of Image Stabilization (IS). Now designated an L, it includes a matched lens hood. Like the older model, a tripod ring can be optionally fitted. It has an improved Focus Limiter (increased to 3 ranges). It uses 62mm filters and is currently on sale for $900. Tripod Ring D sells for $172 (cheaper 3rd party ring is avail.).
    Tokina 100/2.8 ATX is both crop and full frame compatible and sells for about $400. I haven't used it, but it's another venerable design that's been around for a lot of years.  It has a Focus Limiter (2 range), uses 55mm filters and comes with a matched lens hood. I don't believe it's IF.
    Sigma 105/2.8 OS HSM  is currently on sale, heavily discounted, for about $670. I suspect Sigma is about to introduce a new version and that's why they are blowing out the current model with a large instant rebate. It is both crop sensor and full frame camera compatible. The current version has OS, which is Sigma's version of image stabilization, as well as HSM which is similar to Canon's USM focusing drive. This lens has a Focus Limiter (3 ranges), uses a 9 blade aperture, 62mm filters and comes with a matched hood. It cannot be fitted with a tripod ring.
    Canon, Sigma and Tamron all offer longer macro focal lengths... 150mm and 180mm. In general I'd say those are pretty long to use on a crop sensor camera such as your 70D or my 7Ds. They all come with tripod rings, which is good because longer macro lenses can be difficult to keep steady. But they all are also considerably more expensive, so I won't go into the details about them.
    Regarding auto focus speed... All macro lenses with AF are slower focusing for a couple reasons. One is that they have to move their focusing mechanisms a long, long way to go all the way from infinity to 1:1 magnification. Another is by design, they use "long throw" focus mechanisms that emphasize accuracy over speed, which is necessary because depth of field can be quite shallow at high magnifications. So, in general, don't expect a macro lens to offer the same AF speed as a non-macro lens with similar focus drive mechanism. What can help a lot are the type of focus drive and if the lens offers a Focus Limiter. Canon's USM, Sigma's HSM and Tamron's USD all will give faster focusing than micro motor drive systems on other lenses. Properly used, a Focus Limiter can really speed up focusing performance, too.
    When shooting macro, auto focus speed usually isn't all that critical. In fact, I often just focus manually. Accuracy often is more important, due to the shallow depth of field. So AF perfomance might be a bigger consideration if planning to also use the lens a lot for non-macro purposes.
    Image Stabilization (Canon OS, Sigma OS and Tamron VC) is offered on a few premium models. Canon's is a special hybrid version developed just for macro purposes, which most feel is a bit more effective than other forms of stabilization. Nikon actually was the first to put stabilization (they call it VR) on a macro lens, but most agree that while it's useful for non-macro shooting, it is of little practical assistance at 1:1 magnification. The Canon hybrid IS is considered to be a bit better at higher magnifications, but even it will be of limited effectiveness at 1:1. In other words, there may be times when you want to use a tripod or at least a monopod. And in those cases, particularly on some of the larger lenses, a tripod mounting ring can be a very nice thing to have (among all the above, only the Canon 100mm macro lenses can be fitted with a t'pod  ring).
    There are other options to "do macro", too. For example, you could simply get some Macro Extension Tubes to use with your current lens, to make it focus closer. Canon offers quality individual tubes in 25mm and 12mm lengths ($84 and $140 respectively). Kenko does too, but also offers a set of three that includes 12mm, 20mm and 36mm lengths (set sells for $200).  The Kenko are very close to the Canon in design, quality and performance.
    There are also less expensive sets (under $100) from Zeikos and Opteka. The Zeikos set includes 13mm, 21mm and 31mm and sell under a bunch of different brand names (Vivitar, Bower, Dot Line, ProOptic and many more). The Opteka set was just recently introduced and includes 12mm, 20mm and 36mm. All these sets are more plasticky than the Canon and Kenko tubes, but they do support autofocus and direct control of the aperture.
    AFAIK, all the currently sold macro extension tubes for Canon mount are compatible with both EF and EF-S lenses. (If you were shopping used you'd have to be careful because some of the older tubes were EF only and could not be used with your EF-S 18-135mm lens).  
    Canon's TS-E 45mm and TS-E 90mm lenses also are usable for near-macro and, with extension tubes added, macro shooting. These are Tilt-Shift lenses that give additional control over the plane of focus which can be used to good effect with macro and shallow depth of field. I use a TS-E 45mm a lot for table top studio shots of small products. However, these are manual focus only, largely tripod-only and rather pricey lenses, so I just wanted to mention them here. They are probably not something I'd recommend for a first time macro shooter or general purpose, outdoor, walk-around macro work.
    Personally, my two most-used macro lenses are a Canon EF 100/2.8 USM (the older model) and a Tamron SP 60/2.0. When I'm planning to shoot a lot of outdoor, walk-around macro shooting, the Canon lens is my first choice. However, it's rather large so when I'm not planning macro, but want to have a macro lens just in case, I'll substitute it with the much more compact Tamron lens. (Which also can replace two portrait lenses in my camera bag, so reduces my load by one lens serving in place of three.)
    Another key consideration is flash. Often when shooting macro it's a challenge to get enough light to allow a stopped down lens, desirable ISO and adequately fast shutter speed. So you probably will find yourself wanting to use flash sooner or later. Canon offers two macro-specific flashes: the MR14 EX Ring Lite and the MT24EX Twin Lite. I use both for different purposes. I prefer the Twin Lite for macro shots up to about 1:1, maybe 2:1 (double life size) magnification. The Ring Lite I mostly use for very high magnification shots with the MP-E 65mm lens.
    All the Canon lenses above have provision for, or can be adapted to allow for direct mounting of the two Canon macro flashes (Note: I believe there is a new "Mark II" version of the Ring Lite coming out soon). There also are adapters available to mount these flashes on non-macro Canon or onto third party lenses. It also is possible to use a single "standard" flash, along with an off-camera shoe cord and some sort of diffusion to hold back the flash, when shooting macro. I do that often with 550EX and 580EX II flashes.
    There are other macro-specific accessories you may want to consider eventually. Often I'll use a diffusion panel and/or a reflector when out in full sun, to reduce too extreme contrast and help fill too-deep shadows. A focusing stage is another useful thing, when shooting macro with a tripod.
    Finally, I recommend you pick up some books on macro photography. John Shaw's "Close-Ups in Nature" is perhaps the "Bible" among them and likely the most comprehensive. I also found books about macro by Tim Fitzharris and Joe & Mary MacDonald very helpful and interesting. I'm sure there are others, but those came immediately to mind.
    Alan Myers
    San Jose, Calif., USA
    "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
    GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
    FLICKR & PRINTROOM 
    Almost 2,400 words to answer a macro lens post? Alan, nobody can believe you can write so much (except TCampbell, ha ha) but you risk nobody wanting to read. See the link that follows for the sort of difficulty readers have with this sort of post, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Too_long;_didn't_read

• Best camera for low light and sports

have the sx200is
    looking for a newer camera for sports and low light shots

The challenge with sports is that you are REALLY pushing the camera gear to it's limits.  Fast action requires fast shutter speeds.  But fast shutter speeds demand a lot of light and only outdoor games played during the daytime have that.  Indoor games or games played under field lighting at night generally do not have the kind of lighting needed to shoot with fast shutter speeds -- not the kind of shutter speeds needed to freeze action.  So this ends up demanding a camera with excellent ISO performance and lenses with very low focal ratios so they can collect a LOT more light when the shutter is open.  This gear is expensive.
    You will want to consider a reasonable budget depending on what you can afford and the needs of the specific sports.  
    Are these indoor or outdoor sports? If outdoors, are these played during the day or are they night games?
    The "best" camera for sports and low light is the EOS-1D X.  It has phenominal low-light performance, has an amazing focus system,  and can shoot at 12 frames per second.  But it's about $6800 for the "body only" and then you still need lenses.  I'm guessing this is probably not what you had in mind.  But if money were not a constraint... this would be the one to go for.
    The 5D III is another amazing camera for low light performance and and also has an amazing focusing system (largely the same as the 1D X) can shoot at 6 frames per second, and only costs $3500... again, that's the "body only".  Still probably not what you had in mind.
    The 70D has an extremely good focus system (though not as good as the 5D III and 1D X), not quite as good as low light (but pretty good and much better than a point & shoot camera) and shoots at 7 frames per second (1 fps faster than  5D III) and it only costs $1200 for the body only.
    The T5i will be noticeably less expensive than the 70D... a good (but not extremely good) focusing system and 5 frames per second, but the body and 1 kit lens combined is about $850 but that wont a lens suitable for use shooting sports so you'll still need to invest in more appropriate lenses.
    When shooting action photography in low light, what you _really_ want is a lens that can collect a lot more light than the average lens for that very brief moment when the shutter is open.  Such a lens can allow you to use a faster shutter speed to help freeze those action shots.  But *which* lens you use depends on the sport.  
    For low-light sports, these would ideally be f/2.8 zoom lenses... but f/2.8 zoom lenses are not cheap.  Canon's EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM (ideal for most indoor sports and outdoor sports IF the action is happening close to you) is about $2500.  Sigma's lens is about half that price.  But if you're covering action on a large athletic field and the players are far away, they'll still be small.  Sigma makes a 120-300mm f/2.8 zoom for sports... for the low low price of only $3600.
    Scott Kelby does a video to talk about sports photography and he discusses the equipment used and why... and basically says if you want the gear for shooting sports, you basically need a suitcase full of money.
    Tim Campbell
    5D II, 5D III, 60Da

• Best size for previews

What is the best size for standard previews when working with a 27 inch iMac? screen size 2560 by 1440
    Also would you go high quality preview or just low.
    Stepping back a little - here's my work flow
    Import
    Convert to DNG fast load previews
    render embedded and Sidecar
    applying a preset to auto set lens corrections
    assessing in library
    view / select - 1st run thru check images through larger thumbnails
    weed out - full screen / 100%zoomed in images
    Develop modeThis assessing is where things fall down, often the rendering takes 4-8 seconds, sometimes starting with a totally pixellated image.
    files and LR data are stored on firewire 800 RAID 5 external hard drive
    Lightroom 2 Catalog-2-2 Previews.lrdata
    Lightroom 2 Catalog-2-2.lrcat
    Lightroom 2 Catalog-2-2.lrcat-journal
    Lightroom 2 Catalog-2-2.lrcat.lock
    images
    cache is on iMac set at 50 Gb
    So - any thoughts on the below would be appreciated
    size for standard previews
    render - embed and sidecar or standard
    Thanks
    hamishNIVENPhotography

Rob, you read the Help??
    For archived files 1:1 is completely unnecessary and you should have noticed, I have the space.
    Have you noticed that if you zoom in on an archived image with a standard preview a 1:1 is automatically generated, too easy!
    If you are wanting to recover from previews then you need to look at your back up strategies. Or just export full sized jpegs!!
    Rob Cole wrote:
    The points in having 1:1 previews for archived images are:
    * So you can zoom in if you want.
    * To maintain the potential for recovery.
    * So you don't have to bother computing an optimal size for standard preview, nor wonder if you computed it correctly or not, nor remember to recompute it when you buy a new monitor...
    Granted, if you don't have enough space, or you'd rather use the space for other things, then yes: standard preview size matters. But since I've never been faced with such constraint, I've never computed an optimal preview size. The general principal though is to save a preview that will fit nicely in the area you will be using to view it. So if I were to compute an optimum, I would:
    * Compute viewing area.
    * Figure out how willing Lightroom is to upsize an existing preview before rendering a larger version (if image is online), and how willing I am to view reduced quality upsampled image if Lightroom is willing to upsize some (or if image is offline).
    And from that one could derive the optimum size for standard preview on their system and workflow.
    UPDATE: From the Lightroom help file:
    Standard Preview Size
    Specifies the maximum pixel dimension for the rendered preview. Choose the size that accommodates the display you’re working with: select a standard preview size that is equal to or larger than the longest edge of your screen resolution. For example, if your screen resolution is 1920 x 1200 pixels, choose Standard Preview Size > 2048 Pixels. If your screen resolution exceeds 2048 pixels, Lightroom generates a 1:1 preview instead.
    Rob

• Best practices for applying sharpening in your workflow

Recently I have been trying to get a better understanding of some of the best practices for sharpening in a workflow.  I guess I didn't realize it but there are multiple places to apply sharpening.  Which are best?  Are they additive?
    My typical workflow involves capturing an image with a professional digital SLR in either RAW or JPEG or both, importing into Lightroom and exporting to a JPEG file for screen or printing both lab and local. 
    There are three places in this workflow to add sharpening.  In the SLR, manually in Lightroom and during the export to a JPEG file or printing directly from Lightroom
    It is my understanding that sharpening is not added to RAW images even if you have added sharpening in your SLR.  However sharpening will be added to JPEG’s by the camera. 
    Back to my question, is it best to add sharpening in the SLR, manually in Lightroom or wait until you export or output to your final JPEG file or printer.  And are the effects additive?  If I add sharpening in all three places am I probably over sharpening?

You should treat the two file types differently. RAW data never has any sharpening applied by the camera, only jpegs. Sharpening is often considered in a workflow where there are three steps (See here for a founding article about this idea).
    I. A capture sharpening step that corrects for the loss of sharp detail due to the Bayer array and the antialias filter and sometimes the lens or diffraction.
    II. A creative sharpening step where certain details in the image are "highlighted" by sharpening (think eyelashes on a model's face), and
    III. output sharpening, where you correct for loss of sharpness due to scaling/resampling or for the properties of the output medium (like blurring due to the way a printing process works, or blurring due to the way an LCD screen lays out its pixels).
    All three of these are implemented in Lightroom. I. and II. are essential and should basically always be performed. II. is up to your creative spirits. I. is the sharpening you see in the develop panel. You should zoom in at 1:1 and optimize the parameters. The default parameters are OK but fairly conservative. Usually you can increase the mask value a little so that you're not sharpening noise and play with the other three sliders. Jeff Schewe gives an overview of a simple strategy for finding optimal parameters here. This is for ACR, but the principle is the same. Most photos will benefit from a little optimization. Don't overdo it, but just correct for the softness at 1:1.
    Step II as I said, is not essential but it can be done using the local adjustment brush, or you can go to Photoshop for this. Step III is however very essential. This is done in the export panel, the print panel, or the web panel. You cannot really preview these things (especially the print-directed sharpening) and it will take a little experimentation to see what you like.
    For jpeg, the sharpening is already done in the camera. You might add a little extra capture sharpening in some cases, or simply lower the sharpening in camera and then have more control in post, but usually it is best to leave it alone. Step II and III, however, are still necessary.

• Wide angle lens for Built-In iSight? (MacBook Pro)

Hi,
    I'm looking to use my MacBook Pro for a video conference, but the angle of the lens is so limited.
    Are there any lenses you can put over the built-in camera that allow for a wider angle?
    Right now, everyone has to sit one on top of another to be seen by the speaker. I would like to be able to create a little bit of a semi-circle so participants can see eachother while also seeing the speaker.
    Any help? Anyone heard of anything?
    I can imagine even a convex piece of plastic over the camera might do the trick. Don't know, but doesn't seem impossible. Even if there's mild distortion in the picture, the bigger view would be worth it.
    Not really looking for a fish-eye, but more a wide angle or something that gives a bit more of a panorama effect.
    Thanks.

Hello andintroducing
    One disadvantage of the built-in iSight is its lack of any easy way to mount accessory lenses like those that can be used with an external iSight equipped with this Kaidan iSight Accessory Kit. This kit includes a threaded lens adapter ring that can be used to mount a 37-mm auxiliary wide-angle lens. The adapter ring can also be purchased separately.
    On occasions when you need a wider field of view than your built-in iSight offers, other than rigging some wide-angle auxiliary lens to your MBP, the best I can suggest is to consider a second webcam that has a wide-angle lens. I have tested with a MacBook user who was comparing video from his built-in iSight with a QuickCam® Fusion™. The external camera offered a much wider field of view, and the video quality was fine. If you consider this alternative, I suggest you take your MBP with you when you shop. Doing so will let you "try-before-you-buy" so you can be certain whether the webcam is wide enough for your needs.
    If you do not want to use a second camera, you can buy a wide-angle auxiliary lens for a camcorder and mount it in front of your built-in iSight.
    Depending on your ingenuity and skills, you might want to mount the auxiliary lens with some kind of hanging mount like bent wire that would hold the lens in front of your iSight. Another simple method would be some kind of adhesive like double-sided tape or TAC Adhesive Putty.
    Neither of these mounts would be very stable, esthetically pleasing, or permanent, but they could provide a quick, easy test to determine whether it would be worth the time and cost to develop a more elegant solution.
    If you do try some of these suggestions, please post back your results. Whether you find what works or what does not, your information will be helpful to those who have the same need.
    Cheers,
    Jim
      Mac OS X (10.4.9)    G5 DP 1.8  External iSight

• Good zoom lens for 60d

60D
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

I would look for a "Super Zoom" by a third party manufacturer.  Pretty good summary here:
    http://www.techradar.com/us/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/best-superzoom-for-canon-dslrs-8-...
    I'm assuming by 'a billion dollars' you actually mean quite a bit less, like sub $1000?.  There a much better lenses than those in the above article, but they start in the thousands.  The 100-400 is a solid lens with good range, but it's around $1500.

• Need professional advise for product photography lens for Canon 7D

I am a graphic designer with a lot of experience in the studio but I now find myself needing to do my own product shots in my home studio space of 12' x 12.' I am looking hard at the Canon 7D moving up from 40D and I need to know the best lens or lenses to shoot items such as rifles, glassware, china, and small housewares, etc. I will also need to purchase either soft boxes or umbrellas and am looking for advise on this issue as well. Photos will be used for e-commerce and possibly for catalogs. All comments appreciated!

Amscot56 wrote:
    I am a graphic designer with a lot of experience in the studio but I now find myself needing to do my own product shots in my home studio space of 12' x 12.' I am looking hard at the Canon 7D moving up from 40D and I need to know the best lens or lenses to shoot items such as rifles, glassware, china, and small housewares, etc. I will also need to purchase either soft boxes or umbrellas and am looking for advise on this issue as well. Photos will be used for e-commerce and possibly for catalogs. All comments appreciated!
    Hi,
    This is not an easy question that can be answered with a short reply, but here there are some items you might find helpful:
    LENSES:
    Considering the 1.6x crop factor of your EOS 7D, I think a Canon 50mm 1.4 USM should be fine for many of your shots, assuming you have enough space in your room and the item is not too large, otherwise you should go wider to EF 35mm f/2.0 IS USM or the more expensive EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
    Of course, if you want a wider range of focal lengths to work with and lot more versatility, then you might want a Caon EF 24-70 2.8L II USM (our favorite) which has excellent sharpness and IQ, but it's more expensive. It's not so "fast" compared to the above, but in studio conditions you'll probably won't use faster apertures than f/2.8 or f/4
    The advantage of these lenses compared to EF-S ones, is that if you switch to a full frame camera in future, you will be able to use them as well without any issues. Good investments in our opinion.
    LIGHT STANDS & ACCESSORIES:
    These are some cheap but very nice built quality stands & accessories that won't hurt your budget:
    - Impact - Air-Cushioned Heavy Duty Light Stand - Black,9.5' (2.9m)
    - Impact - Telescopic Collapsible Reflector Holder
    - Impact - Umbrella Bracket with Adjustable Shoe
    - Impact - Umbrella - White Translucent (43")
    - Impact - Convertible Umbrella - White Satin with Removable Black Backing - 45"
    Of course there are lot of other options, but these ones have worked pretty good for us, considering their price.
    You can also attach softbox, etc.
    Hope this helps!
    Regards
    HD Cam Team
    Group of photographers and filmmakers using Canon cameras for serious purposes.
    www.hdcamteam.com | www.twitter.com/HDCamTeam | www.facebook.com/HDCamTeam

• Wide angle lens for T3i?

I have a rebel T3i and am looking to get a new lens for it. I was thinking about getting a wide angle since I plan on using it mostly at concerts. What lens would be the best fit? I would also like to keep the price around 500-600 dollars since I am on a budget.
    Also, most of the places I plan to shoot have little or no natural light. It is very dark and most of the lighting comes from the colored stage lights. Would it be a good idea to get a LED light for my camera? Thanks for your time and I appreciate your help.

Are these concerts with professional acts that require tickets to attend?  
    Most concert venues have restrictions on bringing cameras and one of the most common restrictions prohibits bringing any camera with a "removeable lens" (basically this is deliberately done to eliminate all DSLRs).  Most venues tend to be ok with point & shoots and camera phones.
    Most concerts I attend have this restriction -- unless you can get a photo pass.  I've been fortunately in that I've been able to get photo passes for the majority of concerts I attend (typically this means you need some sort of industry connection to the band, manager, etc.)  
    I think in the past 3 or 4 years I attended a grand total of one concert that did not have a restriction on any camera (I wrote to get a photo pass and was told that I could just bring my camera because no pass was required.  I was a bit incredulous at first because this was the first time I encountered a venue that didn't have _any_ restrictions.)  
    I own a Canon G1 X (advanced point & shoot) specifically for those times when they have restrictions and I'm unable to get a photo pass.
    That aside... when I can bring my camera, the two lenses I prefer to use are my EF 135mm f/2.0L (about $1000) and my EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS (original -- which was the better part of $2k, but the "II" is now over $2k).  I never use anything wider unless I'm taking an audience shot (I bring my 24-70 but it's only used for a few audience shots and then after the concert.)
    You will _not_ likely want or need a wide-angle (nothing wider than your kit lens), and usually a mild telephoto is nice.  BUT... light is usually a problem.  Expect to have poor/low lighting, need high ISO, shooting at wide open and STILL not having a particularly fast shutter speed.  Such low focal ratio lenses are usually not inexpensive -- so that's going to stress your budget somewhat.
    Tim Campbell
    5D II, 5D III, 60Da

Maybe you are looking for

• Multiple apple tv's simultaneously playing on the same network and account

I have an office with 10 apple tv's hard wired to a router.  We play different movies in each room.  Randomly, different apple tv's will say they cant find the movie library?   Could there be a problem with the way they are being shut down or the way

• Software Updates for Remote PXI System/DAQ-mx Self Test

1) In MAX, I'm attempting to run the Labview Realtime Software Installation Wizard. When I select the software for install, I get an error "Cannot Process Install because other Dependencies are required: Labview RT 7.1.1". What should I do to correct

• Upgraded to Mountain Lion, can no longer use airplay

Last week I purchased Apple TV (I believe its 3rd Gen) and had it all working fine, until I decided to be 'clever' and upgrade to Mountain Lion so I could use the mirroring in AirPlay. Prior to the upgrade I could stream brilliantly through itunes, i

• HT1379 How can I get rid of an unwanted message?

When my system starts up I see a message that says, "The disc you inserted was not readable by this computer." I had an external DVD drive but detached it and it still gives me the message. The machine (a new iMac 27") doesn't even have a disc drive!

• Why won't YouTube play on my new Macbook Air?

I recently just purchased a brand new Macbook Air for work. 4th Gen. It's awesome. However, I also recently discovered that almost no videos will play from YouTube. I'm using Safari. After finding this out, I went through all the troubleshooting step