Both Ctrl and Alt stopped working on T410

Hi All,
Today, both Ctrl And Alt keys on my T410 stopped working. I tried updating the drivers, rebooted a few times but no luck. I am using Windows 7 64 bit. There has been no recent changes on my latpop. I can use Fn key as Ctrl key after enabling the swap feature in the bios. I dont know if I can some how use another key for Alt key. I am wondering if it is a key board problem then how come both keys (left and right to the space bar) are not working ? will greatly appreciate any ideas,
Thanks,
-NA

both shift and ctrl doesn't work, so it seems not be hardware issue.
Assumption is the mother of all f.... Okay, did you make sure? Try burning a LiveCD of popular distro, boot from it and see if the issue persists.
Before changing any settings, can you hook up an external keyboard (e.g. a USB keyboard). See if it has the same problems.
After that, fiddle around with keyboard settings an layouts. Perhaps the reconfiguration will help.

Similar Messages

• Left Control, Caps Lock, Tab, End, Forward Slash (both /&?) and Delete stopped working.

I will start by mentioning this is not my Laptop fixing it for a family member.
    »HP Pavilion dv7-6111tx Entertainment Notebook PC
    Serial Number: {Personal Information Removed}
    Product Number: QC370PA
    Windows 7 64Bit
    Hey,
    I have recently reinstalled Windows 7 on the aforementioned laptop from scratch as one of the hard drives in the machine died.
    I now believe I have fixed up all possible driver issues, but still a few keys will not work, just wondering if its likely to be a software issue, I have uninstalled/reinstalled the standard PS/2 drivers and that doesn't seem to make a difference.
    I will also mention, that running an external keyboard I can use all buttons
    So, yes, any links/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Also how long is the warranty on the 750GB hard drive these machines have?

The only thing I can answer is the hard drive warranty. Since it is an OEM drive, the only warranty is the HP warranty, likely one year. The drive maker (e.g. Seagate) offers nothing additional.
    OK, on the keyboard, which keys do not work? Letter keys (qwerty?) or function keys. If the latter have you installed QuickLaunch?
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-100465-1&cc=au&dlc=en&lc=en...

• Installed PSE12 on Windows 8. Both organiser and editor stopped working after files were imported.

After uninstalling PSE12 and several other Adobe files and some Adobe folders that had itunes items in them I got Pse12 to open.
    However it stated that my trial period had expired even tough I never installed a trial version and only had installed the full version the previous day.
    When this was double clicked i got organiser to open but still cant get editor to open.
    Any suggestions?

Regarding the Flash Player problem, disable Hardware Acceleration to circumvent driver incompatibilities.
    Regarding the Flash Pro installation problems, post in the Flash forums or http://forums.adobe.com/community/download_install_setup

• Right side CTRL and ALT don't work

As a southpaw, I'm finding it a bit frustrating to work with my fresh install of CS5 Illustrator.  The CTRL and ALT buttons only behave properly when then left side buttons are used.  I have the mouse in my left hand, so I want to use the CTRL and ALT buttons on that are on the right side of my keyboard.  However, they appear to be ignored by illustrator.  I don't have this problem in photoshop, just illustrator.  The keys are behaving normally in all other applications, and I have not reconfigured any keys in windows.  In fact, it's a fresh windows install.  Any advice will be much appreciated.

thommango wrote:
    As a southpaw, I'm finding it a bit frustrating to work with my fresh install of CS5 Illustrator.  The CTRL and ALT buttons only behave properly when then left side buttons are used.
    Unfortunately, i don't think my comment will be of much help but in CS4 it's working OK.
    Could it be possible that, without knowing it, you've set some settings somewher? The mouse? Tablet, if you have one... etc.?

• Suddenly my imessage and facetime stop working both for iphone4 and ipad, i tried possible online solutions but it didn't work. Message such as "could not connect, check your network connection" etc... Help please am getting frustrated here....

Suddenly my imessage and facetime stop working both for iphone4 and ipad, i tried possible online solutions but it didn't work. Message such as "could not connect, check your network connection" etc... Help please am getting frustrated here....

Have you tried re-booting your WiFi router ?  It may seem OK on your PC, but a re-boot may help.

• I have a mac book pro that both USB ports have stopped working one about a year ago and one recently. Is it possible to connect to another one of the other MBP's  ports with a cord that ends with a USB port?

I have a mac book pro that both USB ports have stopped working one about a year ago and one recently. Is it possible to connect to another one of the other MBP's  ports with a cord that ends with a USB port?

Thank you For your time and thoughts!
    I went by the Apple Store and they told me that there was a "Flat Rate" repair service for this particular part where they would replace the logic board along with the USB ports for $350. Seems like best avenue. All of this would have been moot but my wifi in the computer also doesn't work so I was using my phone as a hot spot and tethering it to the computer for Internet access when the last port quit. This left me with no internet and no printing capabilities on the computer I use for my business. Basically became a nice paperweight. lol
    They will ship it off Monday and I should have it back Thursday!
    Again, thank you!

• Portege R500 - ctrl keys have stopped working

Hi,
    Both control keys have stopped working on my laptop. The fact that it is both of them suggests that it is not anything physically wrong with the key. I can't do any ctrl+letter e.g. copy, paste, select all, or even ctrl+alt+del
    Can anyone suggest how to get these keys back?
    Many thanks
    Angus

Hi
    Any key combination which would disable the CTRL buttons is not known to me.
    But I recommend checking the common keyboard options like FN+F10, FN+F11, FN+F12, Capslock, etc
    Furthermore you could test the notebook with an external USB keyboard.
    If the CTRL buttons would work using external keyboard, then this issue would be related to hardware problem.
    Greets

• X1 Carbon touchpad and trackpad stops working.

Received my new X1 Carbon 2014 this week. After only two minutes of use, the trackpad and toucphpad stopped working.
    I hade to use an external mouse, and even after all driver updates it still didn`t work.
    If I restart the machine, sometimes the track-touchpad will work, but suddenly it freezes up again (after only minutes of use), and I will have to restart to fix the problem. Have used it for 5 hrs now, and how probably restarted about 30-40 times.
    Anyone know what is causing this problem and/or how I can fix it?
    //alex

Same issue here.
    Bought my X1 carbon 20A7 last month.
    The touchpad and trackpoint stop working after a while. Sometimes after minutes of use, sometimes after half an hour. When I close the lid, to let it go to sleep, and wake it up again they both work again. Another interesting (might be a coincedance) issue is that when I wake the laptop up after this has ocurred, the fingerprint reader does not work to log back on. 
    I have done a fresh install of windows 8.1 and updated all windows and Lenovo drivers. 
    I hope this gets solved quickly. It's kind of ridiculous for such a premium laptop.
    Lenovo?

• Windows 8.1 Onboard Keyboard and Touchpad Stopped Working.

After upgrading to Win 8.1 my keyboard and touchpad stopped working suddenly.  They both worked fine for the entire Windows 8.0 release.  When I upgraded to 8.1, they both worked for about 3 months.  Then what started happening is the computer
    would freeze during the startup process.  
    Now they both don't don't work.  But a USB powered mouse works.  So with a USB powered mouse and the on screen keyboard I have been troubleshooting.  I have removed the drivers from the device manager, reinstalled the drivers, searched for
    driver updates etc.  Nothing works. 
    Can someone please point me in the right direction.  PC is kind of useless at the moment.

Hi,
    Kindly check this application that can show incompatible/unwanted/untrusted/ applications then remove these with different kinds of PC cleaner/Application removal tools.
    http://www.getsysteminfo.com/
    After Downloaded, Run the Application and Save Report, Upload the Report and Press Submit Button and Click Read the report as an Expert.
    If you found anything in these 2 Auto analyses
    then find the solution.
    1) Driver To Update:
    2) Application to Update:
    Good Luck!

• A magnet fell on my macbook "late 2007 series black" and it stopped working. When i start my macbook up it sits on the white screen. i tried inserting the snow leopard disk to do a clean install but the disk ejects and all i see is the pointer.help please

A magnet fell on my macbook "late 2007 series black" and it stopped working. When i start my macbook up it sits on the white screen. i tried inserting the snow leopard disk to do a clean install but the disk ejects and all i see is the pointer. i even bought a new hard drive to do the clean install but the same thing happens. Please Help

Your problem is not Boot Camp, in fact, is your optical drive. Win XP requires indeed sp2, but also the internal drive, does not work from external optical drive.
    For other possible tricks, please use the appropriate Boot Camp forum, not here. Mac OS X may be installed from both external and internal optical drive and/or internal/external partition of a disk, any disk. Windows is not so generous.

• Laser Jet M1217nfwMF​P wireless and fax stopped working printer works with usb cord

I have an HP computer 64 bit version.  The printer suddenly stopped working wireless, fax stopped working weeks ago.  Printer does work with a usb cord.  Turning it off (removing elec cord) on both computer and printer, didn't help.  Nothing changed that was different to cause either problem.

Hi agueda
    I see that your Laserjet M1217 wireless and fax stopped working but the usb connection does work.
    I would restore the printers defaults to setup the wireless again.
    Touch the setup (wrench button) on the printer, select network config, select restore defaults.
    Then make sure the wireless radio is turned on.
    Touch the setup button (wrench), network configuration, wireless menu, wireless radio-on.
    Temporarily connect the usb cable from the printer to the computer and go to start, all programs, hp, laserjet m1217 and select wireless configuration and go through the wizard to reset up the wireless again.
    or if your router has a wps button on it then you touch the wps wireless button on the printer and immediately touch the wps button on the router.
    Printer should automatically connect to the wireless network.
    Run the add printer wizard.
    Go to control panel,(win7) devices and printers then click add a printer, next, select network
    highlight printer, next, message installing printer.
    Should be able to print over  wireless again.
    Check  fax connections.
    Then run a fax test.
    Touch the setup (wrench button) on the printer, service, run fax test.
    You should have 4 passes.
    Change these fax settings on the printer.
    private receive-wrench/fax setup menu/ok/fax receive setup/ok/private receive/ok/set it to off
    error correction-wrench/arrow to fax setup/ok/all faxes/error correction/ok/set it to off/ok
    speed-wrench/arrow to fax setup/ok/all faxes/ok/fax speed/ok//change speed to medium.
    clear saved faxes-wrench/fax functions menu/clear saved faxes/ok/ok to clear.
    Try sending and receiving a fax.
    If you have any further issues please let me know.
    Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
    Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
    Gemini02
    I work on behalf of HP

• Tiles and charms stop working

Tiles and Charms stop working. When tiles stopped functioning (clicking on tile on desktop causes the desktop tile itself to scroll) and I could still access the search charm, I ran sfc/scannow as admin. It showed a couple of corrupt files it could not fix, but on reboot, the tiles and charms functioned again. Have been through this about four times at this point.
    Seems to have started with the last Windows 8.1 update, and is somehow related to the OneDrive syncing engine.  I had not used OneDrive; started using it, and this mess started. I disabled all pc and laptop OneDrive settings and stopped using it. However, the "OneDrive sync engine" message appears for no apparent reason, and then the tiles and charms stop working.  If I have Outlook and Foxfire apps open, they still work, and their open windows still appear in the bottom toolbar. All the other app shortcut links that normally pinned there disappear.
    When I try to shut the PC down, if I can do so via the power charm, I get a message that it can't shut down because the "Portrait Display Inc. app is preventing shut down." There is no such program shown in the installed program list in Control Panel. I understand from Googling it that it's somehow embedded in HP PC's.
    This is an HP Envy Phoenix 810, with an HP monitor (non-touch), both purchased Dec., 2013. Running Windows 8.1, on automatic updates; using McAffee All-Access AV, up to date. Standard Office apps. No goofy software.
    I see that many other people have had this problem, have used the sfc/scannow approach, with little lasting effect.
    This question was solved.
    View Solution.

Plnjmw, welcome to the forum.
    If you have Windows System Restore setup, I suggest going back to a Restore point before you began having the problem.  This will tell you if the update is the problem.
    Please click the "Thumbs up + button" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.
    Signature:
    HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)
    HP 10 Plus; Android-Kit Kat; 1.0 GHz Allwinner A31 ARM Cortex A7 Quad Core Processor ; 2GB RAM Memory Long: 2 GB DDR3L SDRAM (1600MHz); 16GB disable eMMC 16GB v4.51
    HP Omen; i7-4710QH; 8 GB memory; 256 GB San Disk SSD; Win 8.1
    HP Photosmart 7520 AIO
    ++++++++++++++++++
    **Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**
    Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!
    I am not an HP employee.

• Mouse and Keyboard stops working after a while

Hi, I'm not even sure where to start to find the cause of the problem. I have a normal ps/2 keyboard and USB optical mouse, both of them just stops working after a few hours. The light on the mouse just dies and the keyboard is not responsive at all.  I have to do a hard reboot of my computer. How and where can I diagnose the problem? I noticed the problem started when I upgraded to the latest kernel.

And then after a while it will just use a new address:
    Oct 31 01:47:15 wdesktop usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 6
    Oct 31 01:47:15 wdesktop usb 1-1: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 7
    Oct 31 01:47:16 wdesktop usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    Oct 31 01:47:16 wdesktop input: Microsoft Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical as /class/input/input8
    Oct 31 01:47:16 wdesktop input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [Microsoft Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical] on usb-0000:00:10.0-1
    Then after that my mouse is unusable, the following is shown:
    Oct 31 01:48:41 wdesktop usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 7
    Oct 31 01:48:41 wdesktop usb 1-1: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 8
    Oct 31 01:49:13 wdesktop usb 1-1: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 9
    Oct 31 01:49:45 wdesktop usb 1-1: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 10
    Oct 31 01:49:56 wdesktop usb 1-1: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 11
    Oct 31 01:50:08 wdesktop uhci_hcd 0000:00:10.0: Controller not stopped yet!
    Unplugging and plugging the mouse back does not work
    I found a workaround for that by unplugging the mouse, removing the uhci_hcd and adding it back, so:
    sudo rmmod uhci_hcd
    sudo modprobe uhci-hcd
    But I'm still not sure what causes the problem.
    Last edited by willy (2008-10-30 15:02:54)

• IMessage and FaceTime stops working in iMac after carrier change

Hi all,
    I have done a fair bit of googling and had a look at the discussion history here but couldn't find a solution to my problem. Apology if it has been raised and discussed before and I woud appreciate being re-directed to the thread.
    I have got iMessage and Face Time running smoothly on my iPad 2 wi-fi, iphone 4S and iMac OX 10.8.4. However, on the day of my changing carrier (17/09/2013), iMessage and FaceTime stopped working on my iMac as well as iPad 2. It can longer recieve or send messages or receive or make Face Time calls. All the settings looked the same - tick mark next to both my Apple ID email and mobile number, and conversation has always been set to start from mobile number on all devices. iMessage and FaceTime continue to work on iphone 4S without any issues. New sim card but same mobile number. I don't worry too much about the iPad. I just want to make it work again on my iMac and appreciate any help anyone can offer.
    Steps I have attempted to make iMessage work again (I left Face Time turned off on iphone and iMac during this time)
    0) I disabled/removed Bonjour (GTalk) in iMessage setting in iMac
    1) I have turned off iMessage and FaceTime on all devices and swtiched iMessage only back on in iphone 4S first and then iMac. I got the message on my iphone that the iMac will start using the mobile number and Apple ID to send iMessages. However, iMac still fails to send or receive messages.
    2) I have updated Apple ID on the web (removed the phone number, saved, and then re-entered phone number assoicated with Apple ID). Then repeat #1
    3) I have tried changing "start new conversation from Apple ID email" across all devices - did not resolve anything
    4) I have added a friend's Apple ID in iMessage on my iMac -mobile number automatically appeared and tick marks for both her mobile and Apple ID email but unable to send or recieve messages still while it continues to work from her iphone
    5) I have also done a PRAM reset - I got the 2 chimes - did not resolve the issue
    There's a clear trigger for this problem - change of carrier but I don't understand why it is affecting the iMac (and ipad) but not the iphone itself. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do about it?
    Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi,
    At the OS X 10.8.2 update things regarding the iMessages Account's login were changed.
    It now requires that the Mac's Serial Number is held in the Memory for it on the Logic Board.
    It can get missed in Refurbishments and Repairs.
    This is used to generate the Auth-Token for your Apple ID in the Keychain.
    Go to Application/Utilities and open Keychain Access.
    In the Login Keychain look for "IDS: (Your Apple ID)-AuthToken"
    Double clicking this will open the Info Panel.
    Check the Access tab and make sure it is either allowing Any App or lists Messages, IMCore and those in this pic.
    Although it is know that the Mac has to list the Serial Number it is not clear if other info is needed.
    It is possible that it also refers to your Public IP address in some way, this would seem unlikely as most people's ISP issued IP address is from a DHCP server - you basically keep the same IP as you are "Always On" between the router and the ISP but it can change.
    If it is not allowing access then change the settings.
    There are also two .plists that contain the word imessages
    One of these refers to the server you connect to.
    com.apple.imservice.iMessage.plist contains the Info you have in the Preferences of Messages (Apple ID, Linked iPhone Numbers and any additional emails)
    com.apple.imessage.bag.plist contains which server at iMessages you connect to.
    I would try deleting (drag to Trash) the second of these and then restarting Messages.
    If that does not work Quit Messages and delete the AuthToken for your Apple ID (if the AuthToken appeared to be allowing access above.)
    Restart Messages.
    8:03 pm      Sunday; September 22, 2013
      iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
     G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
     MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
     Mac OS X (10.6.8),
     Couple of iPhones and an iPad
    "Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

• Mountain Lion - iTunes WiFi Sync and Remote Stopped Working

OS X Mountain Lion 10.8
    iTunes stops connecting wirelessly to both my iPad and iPhone with no settings changed on any of the three devices. Only change made in the last 2 hours was enabling of Photo Stream on the iPhone and iPad. Other than this, I have fiddled with no settings on my computer or on the iPad or iPhone.
    - Home Sharing is ON and active. WiFi is working on all three devices and all are able to access the internet.
    - All devices on the same network.
    - WiFi sync is enabled on both devices in the iTunes settings, but both disappear upon being unplugged
    - Remote is unable to find to my iTunes library on either device, and I am unable to access Home Sharing from the Music app on either device.
    - No firewall settings have been modified at any given time.
    Why is this happening? I have turned Photo Stream off on both devices since this stopped working, but it's made no difference. What has caused it to stop? This is so annoying...

I saw a tip elsewhere to go into Keychain Access and clean out any saved passwords that relate, even preipherally, to the Exchange account in question.   I did that, and now it seems to sync all calendar events.   This may be a coincidence, or it may not.    You decide

Maybe you are looking for

• Query on FBL3N................Urgent  plz help me on this.

Hi Friends      Here is my query, I am changing the tcode FBL3N to add one extra field into it and to display data in the name1 field for the spcific entries in the selection screen, After selecting the All item radio button and giving the range in t

• GB will not initialize audio units without Steinberg dongle

I want to use my macbook to produce podcasts. I occasionally also use the macbook to run cubase and a suite of Steinberg stuff (vst instruments etc.) which are installed on the macbook. However, I usually use my Mac Pro for the Steinberg software. Th

• Apps crashing on iPad

Is anyone else having problems with every app crashing on iPad 2 on iOS 7. If I even have one app open with one open in the background, my apps close out. Sometimes the device will shut off and restart. I've done factory resets, wiped the device, and

• Losing internet via Airport since Yosemite update

Ever since updating to Yosemite, my iMac (late 2009) has been losing its internet connection. When the computer is restarted or I log in to the computer, the internet connection is fine. But a few minutes later - say, less than 10 minutes - the conne

• OWB 10g back up

Hi ! I have OWB 10g installed on my computer and I would like to export all my data (objects, mapping, scheduler, ...) to another computer with its own installation (included database). There is no link between the 2 computers. So I would to know wha