External monitor flickering issues on T520

Hi, I have a Lenovo T520 with Nvidia NVS 4200M with the latest driver installed. I pluged both a VGA external monitor, then removed it and pluged a newer Displayport monitor and both monitors flicker. Thank youFrançois

Yes they are all on recommended resolutions. I did a factory reset on my Dell Ultrasharp monitor (with mini-displayport to displayport cable) but it did the same flickering on an older HP LCD display with VGA connexion. I'm going to try changing the vsync settings. It is on "use the 3D application setting" now but I will try "adaptive". And I also noticed there is a newer Nvidia driver from windows update, I will try that after. Thank you!Frankie

Similar Messages

• Tecra M5: External monitor flickers - grounding issue?

Hi,
    I just bought a new Acer Full HD LCD Monitor (P244W) and have tried connecting it to the VGA port of my Tecra M5.
    It works, but there's a noticable and increasingly annoying flickering. I tried it with both XP (SP3) and now Vista (SP1) and it happens for both. I have the latest BIOS and NVidia drivers. The actual laptop LCD screen still works fine, its just the external monitor that flickers.
    To ensure there was nothing wrong with the monitor, I connected it to the VGA port on the ATI video card on my desktop pc and it displayed fine without any flickering.
    After browsing the web for people having similar problems, I've narrowed it down to it being caused by my AC Adapter having a grounding problem as the flickering dissapears as soon as I disconnect the AC Adapter and just run from the battery. It the seems the common solutons to this problem are:
    1) Try some different VGA cables with better shielding from interference.
    I tried this and it made no difference. I tried cables both with and without the ferrite magnet/choke thingy's at both ends of the cable and the flickering remained.
    2) Try different screen resolutions and refresh rates.
    Tried setting some lower resolutions, but the flickering remained (besides I'd rather keep the 1920x1080 native resolution for my monitor). The NVidia driver only allows 60Hz for the refresh rate at 1920x1080, so I couldn't change this.
    3) Ensure both the laptop AC Adapter and the monitor are connected to the same wall socket and are on the same power extension board.
    Tried this, but didn't fix it.
    4) Run an extension cable to another power circuit in my house and power the AC Adapter and monitor from this to see if its something wrong with the wall socket im using.
    Tried connecting to a wall socket in my laundry, but didn't fix it.
    5) Try using a different power extension board and ensure nothing else is connected on it other than the AC Adapter and the monitor.
    6) Get a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter, so the AC Adapter is no longer grounded.
    Most people on the web seem to say this fixes the problem, but I'm not sure how safe it is to leave it this way in the long run. Especially, when stories of laptops catching on fire are becoming more common.
    7) Get a generic brand AC Adapter as these sometimes deal with the grounding problem better than the Toshiba AC Adapter.
    Again, I'd rather avoid this option as even the generic branded ones are expensive.
    8) Remove the battery and run from the AC Adapter on its own.
    9) Fiddle about with the monitors settings.
    Tried this, but none of the settings fixed it.
    So, what are my options?
    Is there a known cause & solution to this problem?
    If my laptop is still under warranty, can I get a replacement AC Adapter or something to workaround this problem?
    Thanks
    Message was edited by: shaneh20
    Message was edited by: shaneh20

I finally figured it out. Just for laughs and because it was the only thing I hadn't tried, I tried using a different 3 prong power cable that I had lying around, connected it to my monitor and the flickering dissapeared. *So, the power cable that came with my Acer monitor was dodgy and not my Toshy's AC Adapter like I first thought.*
    I'm guessing the dodgy power cable was preventing the monitor from grounding properly, so instead it tried to ground itself using my laptop's power cable, going via the VGA cable
    . This would explain why the problem seemed to go away whenever I unplugged my laptop's power cable and also why there was interference.

• External monitor flickers when waking up from sleep

I use an external monitor with my new MacBook. All works well, but I have noticed that if I start using the external after the screen has gone to sleep, I sometimes get a problem on the external where the screen flickers and breaks up. If I disconnect and reconnect the Mini DisplayPort then the problem resolves, has anyone else seen this?
    Tony

I have the same issue with my new macbook.
    When i wake the computer from a partial sleep the screen flickers and i get line distortion through the image.
    If i put the machine to sleep unplug the mini dvi adapter and replug it in and wake the computer up the problem disappears.
    The issue is also intermittent doing about 3 times out of every 10 wake ups...
    If anyone has any suggestions it would be great, I a using a new Dell 2208WFP monitor.

• External monitor flickers when scroll on the google stock chart in Safari

Well, this sounds crazy but this is what is happening to my Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013 Macbook Pro.
    I can reproduce it.
    1. Go to this page in Safari (Version 7.1 (9537.85.10.17.1)): https://www.google.com/finance?q=LQD&ei=nQQ_VPj1H4ebrAHP6oDYDQ
    2. Scroll the page (not the chart)
    3. My external monitor starts to flicker.
    I use mini display port to DVI to connect to my ASUS VE278.
    Any idea? Thanks in advance!

Hi Ziang Song, 
    Welcome to the Apple Support Community!
    I know it can be concerning when your external display is flickering and not functioning as you would expect. In this situation I recommend the troubleshooting steps outlined in the attached article. 
    Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays
    Cheers,
    Joe

• Lenovo X201 external monitor resolution issue

Hi,
    I'm having issues connecting my Lenovo X201 through the docking station -> display port -> Dell 3011.  The native resolution for the monitor is 2560x1600.  However, I currently can only set the resolution to 1920x1080 (ugly!) as any high resolution results in the monitor entering power save mode.
    I'm using xrandr to set the video mode in my .xinitrc (running dwm).  This creates a good Xinerama config for dwm.
    I'm currently using the line
    xrandr --output DP1 --mode 1920x1080 --above LVDS1
    to set my resolution.  When I change to --auto or --mode 2560x1600, or 1920x1200 etc I get the blank screen on the external monitor.  I'm using the xf86-video-intel-sna driver package (I tried the -uxa as well to no avail).
    Any hints?

I was able to get it by having arandr help generate the config, here's the solution that worked for me:
    xrandr --output HDMI1 --off --output LVDS1 --auto --right-of DP1 --output DP1 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --auto --output VGA1 --off

• MBP external monitor resolution issue

Hi, im having issues with my 2010 MBP 13 inch, which has an Nvidia 320M,
    Ive installed Windows 7 32 bit, and connected a Hanns G HG216D external monitor thru a mini display port to VGA connector.
    The problem is that the maximum resolution i can get is 1024x768, i cannot choose or create the native resolution of my monitor which is 1680x1050.
    Ive tried installing the monitor drivers with no luck.
    Does someone has experience on this?
    Thanks in advance!

I was able to get it by having arandr help generate the config, here's the solution that worked for me:
    xrandr --output HDMI1 --off --output LVDS1 --auto --right-of DP1 --output DP1 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --auto --output VGA1 --off

• External Monitor display issue

The external monitor for my mac book pro displays large/wide text when both screens are open.  If I shut the laptop, the external monitor display returns to a normal view.  I tried going to system preferences, displays and it's either on best for display or in scaled, the maximum 1920 x 1080.
    Please advise.

Where is extended display mode? In display screen, the mirrored mode is checked, both displays are in 1920 x 1080, not sure what else I can do here?  BTW: it just started happening (all was normal on both screens) until I used laptop at my work and connected it to external screen (school) with VGA adaptor (at home I use a DVI).

• My external monitor flickers intermittently and wont function when connected to macbook pro

Hello everyone,
    I recently purchased a cable to convert the thunderbolt/miniport to the VGA input on an external monitor I have had laying around for a few years. I am currently running osx 10.7.5 on a macbook pro.
    When I plugged the cable to connect my macbook to the monitor, the monitor certainly recognized the cable, but the display would not do more than flicker in and out intermittently when connected to my macbook.
    I have searched the forums for a solution to this, but haven't been able to find one that works. I tried resetting the SMC and restarting while holding cmd+P+R but none of these "fixes" seemed to help.

Simplest thing to try is a PRAM reset.
    Shut down your Mac.
    Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
    Turn on the computer.
    Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
    Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
    Release the keys.
    Excerpt from http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

• RMBP + External Monitor + SwitchResX Issue

Hey guys. I am currently using a rMBP 15" with an Acer K272 external monitor. I am using the program SwitchResX to run the monitor in HiDPI mode (2560x1440 running at 2048x1152 hidpi). However, I get this weird bug when opening the lid of my mac. When I am using it in clamshell mode while running the monitor in a HiDPI resolution and I open the lid, OS X logs me out and changes the resolution back to 2560x1440. It seems like a very strange bug. I have contacted SwitchResX and they said it has nothing to do with their program but is rather a bug in OSX (most likely the windowserver is crashing). Any ideas on a fix for this or how I can report it to Apple? Thanks a lot!

Where is extended display mode? In display screen, the mirrored mode is checked, both displays are in 1920 x 1080, not sure what else I can do here?  BTW: it just started happening (all was normal on both screens) until I used laptop at my work and connected it to external screen (school) with VGA adaptor (at home I use a DVI).

• External Monitor Flickers Slowly

I have an iMac 8,1 with a Dell 2009W connected via DVI at 1680x1050 and 60 Hz. Every couple mins the screen will go black for half a second then back to normal several times. I haven't seen anyone else on the forums with the same issue; they all seem to have constant, rapid flickering. Any ideas? I use the external to expand screen area for Pro Tools and it's affecting my work.

I have just moved and only have my iMac, Dell monitor, and printer connected. It is unrelated to audio equipment. not to mention I don't have any unshielded cables or equipment.

• Macbook Pro and external monitor sleep issues.

I recently upgraded to a new 13 inch MacBook Pro to replace my previous one.  With the upgrade, I'm now on the latest OS and I have a Thunderbolt instead of Mini-displayport output.  I have a Dell U2410 monitor which has worked great up until now, but I now have the following behavior:
    When the laptop sleeps (or puts the display to sleep) the monitor begins to turn on and off.  It goes to powersave mode and immediately wakes up, realizes there's no signal, and goes back to powersave mode, etc etc etc. 
    When I wake the computer up from sleep, the monitor's behavior stays the same.  The laptop never detects the display and begins sending a signal.
    If I unplug and replug the adapter, all is well.
    There seem to be two separate issues: whatever signal the computer continues to send down the display cable after sleep seems to confuse my monitor, secondly, the computer never again sends a real video signal down the line after it wakes up.
    I'm on the latest 10.8.3.  My adapter is the same adapter I have been using for years, an apple mini-display port to DVI adapter.  Supposedly this adapter is still compatible with the Thunderbolt port.
    I've seen lots of issues online about wake up issues with the latest OS.  Is there a workaround for this yet or do I have to uplug my monitor anytime I sleep the computer?

Hi Steve,
    I have had the exact same issues after adding a WD Thunderbolt Duo external drive to a Mid 2011 iMac and then daisy chaining the Dell U2410 monitor off that.
    My Mini DP to DVI cable ceased working properly - sleeps issues.
    After buying one of these adapters of Ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-in-1-Mini-Displayport-to-HDMI-with-audio-DVI-DP-ada pter-3in1-convertor-Macbook-/110861703462?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item1 9cfdf5926
    I then tried all the different cables that came originally with the Dell U2410 with that adapter, and none of then would put the U2410 to sleep properly. The backlight would stay on, or "No Displayport Cable" would float around the Dell display with the backlighting still on. Or otherwise the Dell would try to go to sleep and then wake up again and cycle like you found.
    Apples Mini DP to VGA adapter was sleep successful with the VGA cable (Analogue) but the output picture was not as sharp as DVI or Displayport, plus there was RF interference with the cable.
    After lots of internet searching I have found a near perfect solution:
    A HDMI to DVI cable with the HDMI end connected to the Ebay 3 in 1 adapter, which then connects to the Thunderbolt port.
    Connect this to DVI-D 1 on the Dell U2410.
    On the Dell in Menu - Other Settings,  disable DDC/CI
    Now in OSX Settings - energy Saver you will have to tick:
    "Put Hard Disks to sleep where possible" and select a short time frame for "Computer Sleep"
    I have found that the display would go black but the backlighting on the Dell U2410 would stay on, when the display went to sleep on the Mac as per the Energy Saver "Display Sleep" setting.
    The backlighting on the Dell would only turn off when the time for 'Computer Sleep" has elapsed and the external Thunderbolt hard disk went to sleep as well.
    The Dell U2410 would then wake up correctly as well when my iMac woke, with this setup.
    Cheapest solution for you would be to try an Apple or Ebay HDMI to DVI adapter and then use the DVI - DVI cable that came with the Dell.
    If that fails get the 3 in one Adapter and use my Mini DP/Thunderbolt to Ebay Adapter to DVI-DVI cable setup.
    I'm assuming your new Macbook Pro comes with the HDMI port ?
    I believe the Sleep Issues with this monitor are all related to appropriate signal on the cable, and only the HDMI to DVI solution will work correctly on Mac's connected to the Dell U2410.
    Good Luck. :-)

• External monitor flickers

I just a AOC 24" monitor, it replaced a Samsung 19" monitor I had. But with this new monitor the screen flickers and the resolution looks awful. I changed the refresh rate to 60hz and I'm using a HDMI/ DVI adapter to connect my DVI cable which then connects to the mini display port then to MB.
    Should I return the monitor and get something else? I'm trying to save money as I'm trying to start my own business.

I have a similar issues, but I never got to the bottom of the issue.
    I have a BenQ LCD 22' monitor and also a Sharp 40' LCD TV.
    If I connect the monitor via DVI using a MiniDisplayPort to DVI adaptor it connects flawlessly.
    If I connect the monitor via HDMI using a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adaptor I get the annoying flicker. Doesn't seem to matter which resolution I pick.
    If I connect the TV via the same HDMI adaptor, it works flawlessly, So I don't think it the adaptor making me think that it is the monitor.
    However, if I connect the monitor to a Digital Set Top box via HDMI, the monitor work flawlessly, so it appears the the monitor is OK too.
    My current work around is to always connect the monitor via DVI and use the HDMI for the TV.
    Maybe take the macbook to the store and test it on another monitor and see if the issue is specific to the monitor you have.

• MBA and 30" LG External Monitor Resolution Issue

Hello!
    I own a LG 3000H monitor (HUGE 30" 2590x1600) that I use with my windows desktop computer for video editing and it is an amazing monitor. I wanted to use it with my Macbook Air Summer 2009 (2.13Ghz, 128GB SSD, Nvidia 9400M) as an external display. I bought the Mini-Display Port to DVI adaptor and hooked it in to the monitors DVI cable and the resolution won't go higher than 1280x800 (the same resolution as the MBA's display). I tried everything I could think of and it's not working. I called Apple Care and they didn't do crap after an hour on the phone so I was wondering if anyone here could suggest anything. I also have the Mini-Display to VGA adaptor so does anyone know if I get a VGA->DVI adaptor would that work? (because the monitor only has one Dual Link DVI slot as an input) I'd really like to use this monitor! Thanks!
    Reference:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005115&Tpk=lg%203000
    http://www.lge.com/us/computer-products/monitors/LG-lcd-monitor-W3000H.jsp
    Message was edited by: theatomiclizard

Hi,
    to use the full resolution of that monitor, you have to use a Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adaptor like this http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MTA4MzU1ODY
    (According to the MBA tech specs http://support.apple.com/kb/SP548 )
    Using the BGA-port of that monitor will not bring up the full resolution of it.
    Plus for the full resolution you have to set the display settings of the MBA to "Extended Desktop" not "Mirrored".
    Regards
    Stefan

• External Disply flickers and went Black for a short duration after yosemite update 10.10.2

hi,
    i got a mac book pro late 2008 and since todays update my external monitor flickers and went black for a short duration.
    It seems that it happens, when i start a new app or i move a window across the displays.
    Disabling the automated scaling of the resolution reduced the flickering but it still happens.
    Does anyone faces the same problems and have an idea how to fix it?
    I would appreciate it.
    Sincerely
    Lukas

Hello lukasfromholzwickede, 
    Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Communities. 
    It sounds like you've noticed flickering on your external display after updating OS X Yosemite. 
    I'd recommend starting with these resets to troubleshoot the situation:
    You can reset the Mac's parameter RAM and SMC.
    You can find these steps in this article:
    Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays - Apple Support
    If the behavior continues, try going through the steps in the "Update your software and firmware" and "No video or no signal, image distortion, 'snow,' or flickering" sections of this article, as well. 
    All the best,
    Jeremy 

• External monitor connected to new MacBook Pro

I have a Samsung LED monitor connected to my brand new MacBook Pro with a mini display port adapter and a DVI-D dual link digital male to male HDTV cable. The external monitor flickers, cuts in and out and has static similar to an analog TV that can't find a signal. I'm wondering if it's the wrong kind of cable? Any help would be appreciated.

I have the same thing but with a 23 inch HP, worked fine with my MBP 13 from 2009 but the 2011 2.4 i5 does the exact same thing as yours!
    Very confused and hoping that some one else can help.
    Thanks

Maybe you are looking for