External monitor on T61

For many properly a simple question, but I rely do not know.
I have a T61 with nVidia Quadro NVS 140M, Intel Core Duo processor T7500(2.2GHz) and 2GB RAM. I use Win XP pro.
I would like an external monitor for use with Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom.
I am looking for a 24” monitor with 1920x1200px.But can my computer show this resolution? (I have no docking station)
I would like to use Lightroom in 2 screen mode, can anyone give me an answer? 
Best regards
Sam

that can be handled easily on the vga, but due to the analgoue signal on the vga port, there will be lot of noises on the external large monitor (like discolouration, flickers, etc).... i would definitely suggest you get the dvi support on the dock. 
Regards,
Jin Li
May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Similar Messages

• Problem with T61 and DVI External Monitor (via Advanced Mini-Dock)

Ever since I upgraded to Vista SP1 on my ThinkPad T61 (with an Intel integrated 965 series graphics card), I've been having problems when I try to use an external monitor via the DVI port in my Advanced Mini-dock.  I'm curious if other people have experienced this problem.
    The problems surfaces when I first boot up, or sometimes after my ThinkPad has been running for awhile (particularly when I do something graphics related, such as right-clicking to open display properties).  The picture starts to flicker (or disappear and reappear, like the screen does when changing graphics resolutions).  I also hear the "ba-bum" sound that you hear when disconnecting a piece of hardware, followed by the "bum-ba" reconnection sound - these two sounds happen repeatedly (sometimes as fast as once per second).  If I don't do anything, sometimes I'll get a bluescreen.
    Not long ago, I found a fix of sorts: to stop the flickering/reconnecting, I just open Task Manager and stop the process called "igfxpers" (an Intel driver problem).  The problem always disappears after I do this, although I have to remember to do it every time I reboot or else the problem comes back.  So it's not an ideal fix.
    This problem doesn't happen when I connect an external monitor using the analog VGA port, or when I'm just using the notebook LCD.  It's limited to just the DVI connection.  I've tried two different digital monitors (one LG, the other BenQ) as well as two DVI cables - the problem is still the same.  So it seems like a driver problem of some sort - unfortunately, the Intel drivers haven't been updated since last February.
    I should also note that I've tried reinstalling my OS two or three times, and the problem always comes back.  Has anyone else had this problem, and is a fix on the way?

Error Message:
    Input signal out of range. Translation:
    You will see this on an otherwise blank screen. Assuming that the data cable is plugged in correctly, the video card is feeding the monitor a signal stream in excess of what the monitor can accommodate. The two main causes for this are that the user has set either the resolution or the vertical frequency rate too high. For example, you might set a new graphics card to display at 1,280 x 1,024, but if the monitor is only capable of 1,024 x 768 resolution, you’ll get a Sync Out of Range error. This is especially common in 14-inch monitors.
    Solution:
    Because you obviously can’t make settings changes from within regular Windows, you’ll need to reboot into Windows Safe Mode. When you restart the system, there is a point during boot up when the system switches from reporting diagnostics and detected components to loading Windows. This point is usually accompanied by a beep and the screen going black. Just before this point, you want to start repeatedly pressing the F8 key. This should bring up a menu of Windows boot options. The one you want to pick is Safe Mode.
    From Safe Mode right-click the Desktop and select Properties. Go to the Settings tab and use the slider to drop your resolution a notch or two. Reboot and let Windows try to go into Normal mode. If this still doesn’t work, go back into Safe Mode and get to the Settings tab of Display Properties. Click the Advanced button, go to the Monitor tab, and check your refresh rate. The lowest advisable rate is usually 60Hz, although this works better for LCDs (liquid-crystal displays) than CRTs (cathode ray tubes). Apply the change and reboot.

• Good external monitor recommendations for T61?

I need a good external monitor for my T61, the bigger the better. I would prefer to keep the branding the same with Lenovo. Does anyone have any advice? Should I go with another manufacturer? The Apple displays are really cool. Does Lenovo make anything similar?
    Thanks in advance.
    MacBook Pro, with an aluminum unibody enclosure **As of September 15, 2008, our company has completely switched to Apple. Having used ThinkPad products for over 10 years, we had desperately tried to find just one reason to continue using these products, to no avail. We are of the view that ThinkPads are no longer premium products. We wish you the best of luck with your ThinkPad! Happy computing…**

There is also a review of it at NBR and a discussion at TPF  that are interesting.
    Message Edited by nonny on 02-13-2008 07:57 AM
    English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество
    Jane
    2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
    I am not a Lenovo Employee.
    I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

• T61 and the Intel Graphics Card error - external monitor not detected

T61 with Vista 32 bit, Mobile Intel® GM965 Express Chipset and an Advanced Mini Dock.
    I am trying to use the DVI port and an external monitor. The driver does not detect the external monitor.
    Uninstalling the Intel driver the Generic profile will work on the external monitor, but is overly fuzzy, how do I get the T61 to recognize my external monitor with the right drivers?
    I am currently running the Intel Driver Ver. - 7.14.10.1329, which provides the message under Multiple Display:
    Two displays must be connected to the computer before you can use this feature. Please connect another display.
    Of course my 22" monitor is connected.  That is the frustrating part.  I have also uninstalled Presentation Director, just in case, but then re-installed after it seemed that wasn't the problem.
    There is a newer driver from Intel but it is not Lenovo approved yet I guess. Though I highly doubt this is the problem. What can I do?
    ~~
    I did post a thread on the thinkpads.com too, but so far haven't had any luck.

Well the new dock came but didn't fix the problem.  Now my nice new T61 is packed up in a depot box, waiting for DHL to come pick it up.
    dkaufman1 -- I guess we do have different problems.  If I set my T61 to display to the DVI port in the bios I get a blank screens on both the DVI connectd monitor and the laptop screen until the OS boots when I have the laptop in the dock.  The only way I can see the bios screen to set it back to the ThinkPad LCD setting is to boot it disconnected from the dock.
    I really hope that this problem is resolved, as I really like the T61 otherwise.  I was even using it with the VGA cable connected to my 22" monitor, but it was pretty hard to take.   I'm now back to my old desktop hooked up to the same monitor via DVI and it is quite the relief, even if it isn't as zippy as the T61.

• T61 external monitor permenantl​y in sleeping mode

Greetings,
    I want to run an external monitor with my T61 for desktop extention.  It was working fine, until I once booted up my PC before having switched on the external monitor.  Since that day I have never been able to display anything on the monitor.  It is just showing black, and the power button light is just flashing, which I assume means sleeping/power saving mode.
     I tried changing things on the BIOS, did not work. I even bought a minidocking station now, hoping that the new VGA-out would deliver results.  It also does not work.
    I cannot believe the Thinkpad cannot cope with an external monitor not being on when the Thinkpad starts up.  How can I fix this? 
    It does not seem to be the VGA port, since the docking station option also does not work, right?
    Please help.
    Regards,
    Henning

Go into your display property, by right clicking your desktop, then select your second monitor and then tick the extend desktop box. 
    Regards,
    Jin Li

• T61 display problem on both Internal and External monitors

Hi,
          I have Lenovo T61 of Type 7662, Model CTO. One month back the right hinge of my laptop has broken. Now the display on the screen is not at all readable. If I reboot the laptop, it is getting loaded, but the display on the screen is not readable and also it is displaying 4 windows without any clear visibility.
         I thought the problem may be with the LCD cable under Right hinge. So, I tried to check this with an external monitor. But, the same problem is occurring on the external monitor also. So, I couldn't find what exactly the problem is. If anybody has this kind of problem, please help me on fixing this issue.
    Thanks,
    RamPap.

well the GPU issue is fixable under free repair, but given that your hinge is broken, not sure whether the free warranty applies in this case.
    Basically you need a new motherboard.
    Also, can you post a picture of the condition of the hinge? (upload it to tinypic or flickr, then link it here).
    Regards,
    Jin Li

• T61 External Monitor Port Failure Question

I have a Lenovo T61 8897-cto (purchased 4/2008) with what I believe is a failing backlight.  In dim environments I can still see the screen.  I've  been temporarily using an external monitor, but the external monitor just went blank and I can't get it back, (the external monitor works fine with another laptop which I'm using now).  My question is, does this new fault point to a system board failure?   I suppose it could be a connector but I don't move the system often and not recently.  The only other things that comes to mind is that the battery is dying and only has 50% of its capacity left, (but I always run it with the AC cable plugged in).
    I'm just wonder if it is worth putting any money into this laptop or to parts it out.  I've already ordered a replacement W510 which I should get in under 2 weeks. I was thinking about using the T61 as a backup or dedicated to Ubuntu, but I can buy a used one for under $600 so I don't want to dump $400 into to have it repaired.
    Any suggestions/prior experience with failing LCD displays and external video port?

1400x1050 is the highest screen resolution, so I guess that is SXGA+ No, I've never spilled anything on the laptop. I'm running Windows Vista Pro latest Service Pack. I rebooted the system this morning and the external display was detected and used during the boot process. It started to work again under Windows. I'm starting to think that it was some sort of power saving mode that failed to re-initialize. The main laptop screen is still dim, but readable in a dark room. It does have a bit of a tint to it, which I've read is an indicator of a failing backlight. I've checked the warranty on the Lenovo website and they've indicated that it has expired.

• T530 - Dual boot not displayed on external monitor when docked

Hi,
    I just got my new T530, loaded all my applications and data from my T61. The T530 is connected to the 4338 docking station.
    I have Win 7 on the internal disk, and Win 8 on the ultrabay disk.
    Dual boot works fine when undocked, but when docked and the lid is closed I don't see the dual boot selection on the external monitor and the PC boots into Win 7 (which is my default OS).
    When cold or warm booting I also don't see the Thinkpad splash screen.
    I did not have this problem with my T61 when docked. There the splash screen and dual boot selection was displayed and I was able to select which OS I want to boot into.
    Any ideas whet I can do here?
    Thanks

As I came across this it's a matter of the two graphic cards and how they are shared.
    The Intel always drives the Laptop-Display and the analogue port, the digitalports at the docking are all driven by the Nvidia Card.
    The splashscreen will always be displayed with the intel card and therefore not be visible with the digital ports at the docking.
    W530 2438 CTO - i7-3720 QM - K2000M - FHD - 16 GB - SSD Samsung 830 Series 128 GB - Windows 7, 64 bit

• X REALLY slow when external monitor plugged in at boot

Hello all, I am running Kernel 2.6.29.4 with xf86-video-intel 2.7.1-1, Xorg 1.6.1.901 and EXA acceleration (no KMS) on my thinkpad T61 with an Intel X3100. (I keep up-to-date stable.)
    Whenever I have the VGA monitor plugged in to my laptop at boot time, when I log in using GDM it takes FOREVER to start XFCE. Super slow motion.
    If I wait to plug in the monitor until after X starts, and then type 'xrandr --auto' there is no problem whatsoever.
    In both cases, X correctly sets the video mode with no problem. Any idea what is causing the slowdown? Thanks!

No, but I haven't tried in a while since I don't use an external monitor currently. Is it slow all the time, or only if you connect the monitor before X boots? Do you have intel graphics?

• External monitor filled with static, blue squares, and red dots

My family bought a Mac like 8 or so years ago. I am unsure of the exact model, but says iMac on the back (Which isn't very specific, so I apologise).
         You'd expect problems after a few years, so when our mac became cluttered with multi-coloured lines, I wasn't surprised.
         Eventually, it got to be a problem when the screen started to have larger lines whose lights seemed to be failing. It got to a point in which the whole screen had static, and there was very little of the screen that could actually be scene. It was easy enough to fix, we just got a new monitor.
    It did the job, no more lines, the screen did have a yellow tint, but I wasn't worried.
         Now, I was watching some youtube videos, then all of a sudden, both screens stopped, and red dots appeared. After countless efforts to exit the video, I unplugged the computer. When I turned it back on, it was even worse, with blue squares filling the screen, static filling it, and countless more red dots.
         While the external monitor does not have the multicoloured lines, and such, both seem to have the same blue squares, static and red dots, at least for what I can tell.
         Curiously enough, the waiting symbol for the cursor appeared and none of the screen problems overlapped the original.
    Did I do something to it?
    Is there some way to fix it, or will I have to get a new one?
    Also, I apologise if this question is in the wrong category, I'm new.

Welcome to the forum!
    Your GPU is failing.
    Lenovo might or might not fix it, although it's out of warranty. They are *extremely* well-aware of the problem that plagued these chips.
    Reading related threads here or on Bill Morrow's ThinkPad Forum will reveals hundreds - if not thousands - of similar cases...
    Good luck.
    Cheers,
    George
    In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
    Collecting dust: T60
    Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
    Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
    Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

• External monitor works only works when laptop screen displays

Hi there, I just connected a different (newer, but not brand new) external monitor to my T61.  When I toggle screens (fn-f7) the external display gets no signal in the 'external display only' position, but displays beautifully in the 'both' position.  This never happened with my old monitor.  I would like to use the external display and not have the laptop screen display.  Any ideas? Many thanks, Ellen

H
    Try this:
    After connecting external monitor, press win key+p and thrn choose projector only.
    Have a nice day
    Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
    If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.

• Monitor Problem-T61

I am attempting to use a V7-Model 700P monitor with my T61 Think Pad.  This monitor works with a Dell Laptop but not with the Lenovo- Why Not ???? Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming you're talking about not getting video when you boot the machine, but you hear the fan and HDD running as normal. And you connected an external monitor and the unit still runs. Correct?
    If I understood you correctly, the problem is with the LCD panel itself. The inverter card in your LCD is dying, and that is why you have a black image on your screen. Get your LCD replaced and it should fix the problem.
    Hope this helps.
    Mark
     Do NOT PM me with technical issues. Post in the forum for assistance. Thanks

• External monitor doesnt work

I was able to plug an external monitor into my T61 and have it work until I installed the latest Windows service pack. I am running XP in this laptop. I dont have a clue as to how to check settings for the external monitor port but I think something must be shut off.

I actually just solved the problem by downloading all the driver updates for my computer so no help needed on this.

• Configure external monitor to be --left-of laptop screen (nouveau)

Hi,
    I have problem configuring external monitor to work like nvidia's 'twinView'.
    Having no xorg.conf my external monitor is configured just to clone image displayed on latop screen. I can setup correct resolution in my DE (I'm using XFCE), but what confuses me is how to configure external monitor to work as separate screen (not to present cloned image).
    This my my output from xrandr:
    [kuba@t61:~]$ xrandr
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 3120 x 1050, maximum 8192 x 8192
    LVDS-1 connected 1440x900+1680+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 304mm x 190mm
    1440x900 60.13*+ 50.00
    1152x864 59.96
    1024x768 59.92
    800x600 59.86
    640x480 59.38
    720x400 59.55
    640x400 59.95
    640x350 59.77
    VGA-1 connected 1680x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 474mm x 296mm
    1680x1050 59.95*+
    1280x1024 75.02 60.02
    1152x864 75.00
    1024x768 75.08 60.00
    800x600 75.00 60.32
    640x480 75.00 60.00
    720x400 70.08
    DVI-D-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    Following wiki instructions (http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/Randr12/) this commad helps me to setup what I want:
    xrandr --output VGA-1 --left-of LVDS-1
    and I want to persist such configuration.
    I tried to configure it in  /etc/X11/xorg.conf (there was no such file)
    [kuba@t61:~]$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
    # the right one
    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "LVDS-1"
    Option "PreferredMode" "1440x900_60.13"
    EndSection
    # the left one
    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "VGA-1"
    Option "PreferredMode" "1680x1050_59.95"
    Option "LeftOf" "LVDS-1"
    EndSection
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidia card"
    Driver "nouveau"
    #Option "Monitor-DVI-I-1" "NEC"
    #Option "Monitor-DVI-I-2" "FUS"
    EndSection
    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "screen0"
    Monitor "VGA-1"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    #Virtual 2560 2048
    EndSubSection
    Device "nvidia card"
    EndSection
    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "layout0"
    Screen "screen0"
    But it seems like still there is something wrong as every time I run X I have cloned output on both screens.
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by jakub (2014-11-16 12:05:19)

jakub wrote: Option "LeftOf" "LVDS-1"
    Should that not be "left-of"?

• Can I even DO Dual Monitor on T61 with 2054?

Did a search but my question is even more basic.  Sorry - I'm a newbie here.
    I just received a T61 with a 2054 docking station.  I have successfully connected one external monitor that comes on when I boot up (with the lid closed).  I have a 2nd monitor that I'd like to hook up, but don't see any place to attache it!  (There is a monitor port on the T61 as well as the one on the 2054 but that doesn't seem to do anything.)
    Maybe I don't have the correct hardware?  Or is there an adaptor I need to buy?  Can someone step me through this to see if this is even possible?
    thanks
    doug

Hi...I have the same question:  2 external monitors plus the laptop display on a T61.
    I hope an expert has the answers.
    I have researched several adapters, but I am not sure if they will work, and I am reluctant to shell out the money to experiment.

Maybe you are looking for