HELP ! WiFi Adapter Card for Thinkpad T42 ?

Hi everyone, 
I am new to this site, and new to laptops. I just bought a used IBM LENOVO T42 1,7GHZ 512MB 30 GB HD with XP PRO. I am confussed about the WiFi issue, as it seems like two cards are required (internal / external) to get wireless. I have been searching the internet trying to find out what external and/or internal card I need to buy, but have become frustrated because I don't understand the lingo.
I bought my computer off eBay with this description:  
IT ALSO COMES WITH WIRELESS CAPABILITY  TO CONNECT TO ANY WIFI NETWORK OR HOTSPOT AND CONNECT TO THE INTERNET  BY ADDING AN ADAPTER CARD.
And the specs say this, Expansion slots: one Type III PC Card slot
Can someone please shed some light on this for me, and tell me what to buy ?
Thx, Scott  
IBM LENOVO T42
1,7GHZ 512MB 30 GB HD
Solved!
Go to Solution.

Scott,
it's your choice if you want to install an internal or external card:
1. Internal card: This is located inside the covers so to install it you have to open up the Thinkpad. Here is the T40/41/42 Hardware Maintenance Manual that shows you how to install what is there called the Mini PCI adapter. Most T42s shipped with this card factory installed but probably your model didn't. As you can see from the manual there were several cards that the T42 could have shipped with, my T42 came with the Intel 2200BG card. The big advantage with this approach is you can use an internal antenna in the cover but you might have to install that too if your model shipped from factory without wireless. The FRU (spare part) number for the antenna assemblies (different for 14" and 15" display models) is also shown in the hardware manual and they can be ordered online from IBM/Lenovo and typically ship overnight. (I would wait and order the antenna assembly until you have opened the Thinkpad, it might be there also for models that shipped from factory without wireless card.)
2. External card: This you put in one of the PC card slots on the left side of the laptop. The disadvantage is it will stick out of the laptop and carries a small external antenna so you will always have to take it out whenever you pack up your laptop. The antenna might not have quite as good reception as the internal antennna.
Message Edited by zilla on 2009-03-13 07:12 PM
T500: Vista 32, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 15.4" 1680x1050, 500GB 7200rpm, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD. T42: XP, 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500.

Similar Messages

• Wifi adapter upgrade for hp pavilion g6-1d73us

I have an HP Pavilion g6-1d73us running Windows 7 Home Premium with Intel Core i3 2.30GHz, 4GB RAM, 64 bit OS and would like to upgrade my wifi adapter from wireless 802.11n to wireless 802.11ac so I can also change my modem & router to the new, faster standard. The current wifi adapter that I have is Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11 b/g/n wifi adapter. I have researched the hardware on the internet and I think I would like an Intel Wireless AC 7260 wifi adapter but I am not sure if it is compatible with my laptop. Could you please tell me what wireless 802.11ac card or adapter is compatible with my laptop or if I am even able to upgrade this compnent. My computer runs fine and has no problems. Thanks.
    This question was solved.
    View Solution.

No. Sorry. The HP laptop motherboard has a BIOS program that is set to stop the bootup process if any but very specific wireless cards is installed. In the case of your laptop, no 802.11ac adapter is on the "whitelist" to allow booting. 
    Do not shoot the messenger. 
    If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

• COMPATIBLE USB WiFi ADAPTER/DONGLES FOR HP 470 MOBILE PRINTERS???

I've misplaced the HP USB WIFI dongle/adapter (HP Q6274A)  to my H470 mobile printer and was wondering if another (Non HP) usb wifi adapter/dongle will work...until I find my original HP Q6274A dongle?  Incidentally, I happened to notice Non-HP WiFi USB adapter/dongles are every where, they are very inexpensive and also offer the latest WiFi technology enhancements, ie: b/g/n & 300 Mbp/s, etc.  I'm hopeful HP customer support will offer a few suggestions regarding other compatible H470 WiFi dongles... however, I doubt they'll suggest anything other than their hard to find/obsolete HP Q6274A ... any thoughts would be greatly appreciated =)

Hi xxwildbilxx,
    Are you still experiencing issues?  The adaptors may or may not work.  If you have a spare, it is certainly worth a try, however I cannot guarantee compatibility. The specific adaptor for this model is readily available through online ordering systems.  You can also contact HP technical support to compare best pricing options for these adaptors.  Global contact information can be accessed Here.
    Hope this helps!
    Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.
    Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.
    I appreciate your input !
    Thank You,
    I work for HP.

• Adapter card for firewire ports

iMovie recognizes my camera but will not download. Genius Bar succeeded using an adapter card with firewire ports with assumption that port on computer was bad.
    I am searching Apple Store and cannot find this adapter card. What would it be called?
    thanks for help

If you mean the online Apple Store, it doesn't currently carry any adapter cards of that type. They are available from many other online vendors. But why not buy one exactly like the one the Genius used, at the store where s/he used it?

• WIFI SD Card for Palm

I have frecently decided to start using wifi on my E2.  I now have the problem that Palm no longer makes a wifi card.  Is there another maker of cards that will do the same and allow me access to wifi?
    Post relates to: Tungsten E2

The only WiFi SDIO card that is compatible with the E2 is Palm's. Have you checked Amazon or ebay?
    Post relates to: Palm TX

• Compatible WIFI card for Thinkpad a21m, wifi orinoco silver no longer working

Thank you for having this forum available.
    My husband passed down his Thinkpad A21M Type 2628-GTU to our son. The wifi card that was with it is a Lucent Technologies Orinoco Silver 11mbit/s t/n 03549501 p/n012938/c. When powered up last night, the ethernet was fully functional, but the wireless card didn't connect to the net. My husband assumed the Lucent card was bad. Is there something compatible I may buy to replace it? Do you have a suggestion on what he might have missed in trying to get it to work at home?
    He has used this laptop all over the country including at home before, so I would imagine he knows what he is doing. But, we do have a new service provider since the company upgraded his computer system.
    Thank you so much!

Welcome to the forum!
    Honestly, it's time to upgrade to a newer card anyway, at least b/g. Any PCMCIA wireless card will work with your A21m, it all depends on your router, and your personal preferences.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    George
    In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
    Collecting dust: T60
    Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
    Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
    Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

• Need help with video card for my dual 1.8 G5

Ok, I've spent the last hour and a half searching around and really haven't found what I was looking for, although, it's probably right under my nose and I'm a moron. Anyways, here goes...
    I have a dual 1.8 G5 and I'd like to add an extra video card. From what I've read, the "stock" location for the video card is AGP, but all three of the other expansion slots are all PCI-X, is that correct? I also, thought I had read that a Radeon 9200 PCI or a Sonnet Sonata SD will work in the PCI-X slot, is that true for just those particular video cards or will any PCI card work? If that's not the case, does any body know what options I have? I've spent a lot of time lurking on these forums and you guys have helped tremendously in the past, so I thank you in advance for any help you guys can give.
    Aaron

Hi,
    That G5 Mac will accommodate 66/33MHz Mac Edition PCI cards.
    •The Sonnet Sonata is a 16MB VRAM card and will work in either a 33 or 66MHz slot, so it's okay. Slow, but okay.
    •The ATI RADEON 9200 PRO 128MB MAC EDITION PCI card is a better choice because it has 128MB VRAM and is much faster. Unfortunately it's difficult to find new ones at the moment. There are several used ones on Fleabay right now for under $89.
    •There are other PCI cards that will work too, like the ATI Radeon 7000 Mac Edition 32MB PCI model as seen on Fleabay as item # 200046086081. That's probably your cheapest choice.
    Just make SURE you get a Mac Edition, a PC type will not work.
    Adding another PCI card will have zero effect on graphic performance of the AGP video card. Each AGP or PCI slot stands alone, and will only affect the monitor it's attached to. PCI slots are much slower than AGP slots (8X slower) in G5's.
    Regards,
    Dave

• Urgent help: L3 daughter card for Nexus 5548

Hi
    We have 2 Nexus 5548 which is in one vPC doamin. All the servers are teamed to these switches
    Requirement
    We have to install New L3 daughter card.(N55-D160L3-V2(=))
    I have gone through the Cisco websites and found that we have to do the following things
    1. software version:
    i Nexus 5548P Daughter Card (N55-D160L3)
    Before installing a Layer 3 daughter card (N55-D160L3) into a Cisco Nexus 5548P switch, you must upgrade to Cisco NX-OS Release 5.0(3)N1(1b) or NX-OS Release 5.0(3)N1(1c) and then install the card into the chassis. 
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/release/notes/Rel_5_0_3_N2_1/Nexus5000_Release_Notes_5_0_3_N2.html
    2. license: 
    Also in order to enable this module following license should present on N5k device:
    LAN_BASE_SERVICES_PKG  - it's free and lifetime.
    https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2121574 
    I have 2 questions
    1- In cisco documentation its says that these cards will be installed in the front where I/O module is and after NX OS 5.X they are hot swappable
    Does that mean that no reboot will be required after installing this module (keeping in mind its the first time) so i am confused about the wording ???
    Does license installation requires reboot??? in short if you are installing for the first time do we require a reboot ???? that is my main question
    2- I have heard there is  a known bug which keep rebooting the switch after installation of L3 card
    http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtl45495
    has that been address in any version of license or NS-OS yet???
    Thanks heaps guys
    If the module is still offline when the requirements are met above, it could be a bug.(CSCtl45495) Try reloading the switch.

1- In cisco documentation its says that these cards will be installed in the front where I/O module is and after NX OS 5.X they are hot swappable
    Does that mean that no reboot will be required after installing this module (keeping in mind its the first time) so i am confused about the wording ???
    Answer: -- Yes no reboot is required.
    Does license installation requires reboot??? in short if you are installing for the first time do we require a reboot ???? that is my main question
    Answer: As you are installing the license for the first time reboot of the box is not required.
    2- I have heard there is  a known bug which keep rebooting the switch after installation of L3 card
    http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtl45495
    has that been address in any version of license or NS-OS yet???
    Answer;--No this is not fixed yet.
    HTH
    Regards
    Inayath
    ********Please do not forget to rate the post if this info is helpfull.

• SCSI adapter / card for PowerBook or Mini ?

My Big Mac G5 died . . ! Leaving behind one orphan, a Polaroid 35+ film scanner with SCSI conection.
    Any chance to find a way to bring it up via adapter, cable etc. ? Have iMac, Power Book, MacMini server

Hello,
    http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/products/FR1SX.html
    Something like this, which uses the FireWire port maybe?

• GT70 - Need Help with "downgrade" adapter card!

I've got a GT70 with the "Super-Raid-0" configured dual 128GB SSD msata cards in the adapter, but one of them just gave out, after about 10 months. Now, what I'd like to do is to get that "adapter card" which are in the non-SSD version of the GT70 model and install a regular 2.5" HardDrive. My question is, WHERE can I get that card and WHAT is the EXACT name of that part? I've been searching all over but no use. :(
    I've found 2 pictures for illustration.
    #1: What I've got and want to replace (looks like this):
    (please add http // www . because this forum won't allow links)
    techpowerup.com/163682/msi-gt70-superraid-solution-pictured-tested.html
    #2: What I WANT and want to replace the original dual-ssd with (3rd image shows it)
    (please add http // www . because this forum won't allow links)
    forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=168945.msg1235587#msg1235587
    CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM?
    Thanks!

For a tiny little adapter card I don't want to send in this gigantic and very heavy unit, because it would cost around a $100- with express delivery and insured. Once I did that and then it took about 6 weeks to get it back in worse condition than it was before! No thanks, I just want a simple adapter card that probably cost around $10-$15, which I can install in 60 seconds and/or a replacement for the SSD if possible, since it is well within the warranty period. If they honor it good, if not, I won't be surprised at all. Unfortunately I've had terrible experiences with this company in the past, but I don't want to get into that. That's not why I'm here.
    Yes, you are right, the 2 msata Super-Raid are very fast and very enjoyable, however, as it is obvious by now, they have a very short life-span. I've never, ever had any of my laptops' HD to fail on me before, and I've had quite a few over the years, Acer, Toshiba, then a bunch of Sonys, so I'm still betting on the "good old" regular 7200 RPM disks that run for ever rather than this SSD thing that craps out on me in 10 months.
    And if the Read/Write speed is slower, well, as long as they work, I don't care.
    I already sent in a repair request and specifically asked for both the replacement of the broken SSD with serial number as it is indicated during the boot-up, as well as the adapter card for regular HD installation, so I'm hoping I'll get some response next week. But I only want to send in the failed mSata "chip", IF they are willing to replace it. That could fit into a protective envelope instead of a large box and would cost $1 to send! :D
    I've already checked the prices of mSata chips, but they are pretty expensive. A 128GB SSD costs $120 and a regular 750GB 7200rpm HD about $80, so I would choose the regular, reliable and much larger HD over this SSD thing if I had to make a choice.
    Meanwhile I'm still searching all accessory and parts sellers' websites for this particular adapter, but so far nothing! :(

• WiFi Card For Zire71

I think I have seen postings here for WiFi SD Card for Palm Zire72 connection. Is the same card compatible with the Zire71? I am trying to find out if my old Zire71 could get Internet connection by using a similar card.
    Post relates to: Palm TX
    This question was solved.
    View Solution.

Hello!
    The wifi card is not compatible with th Zire71, doesnt meat OS requirements.  Zire 72 is ok though. 

• Hp dm4-2191us wifi ac card

hi,
    i have a hp pavillion dm4-2191us and need to change the wifi adapter card. looking to change to intel 7260.
    hmwwb ac bluetooth card. how can i overwirte the white lit so the bios accepts this card? is there another method?
    should i just buy a different wifi card?
    thanks
    garstem

Hi Garstem,
    Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read your thread on your HP Pavilion dm4-2191us  Notebook and needing a wireless card replacement. Here is a link to the manual page 40 gives a list of supported Wireless cards. It has to fit into the Notebook and be compatible with the motherboard.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Thanks.
    Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
    Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!

• I have a first gen Imac G5 20"   What is the proper airport card for this unit?  It didn't come with one

Can anyone tell me which wifi card will best support a first gen G5 20" imac?  I am trying to get my grandson's computer on a wifi net

So it should be this model
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_g5_1.8_20.html
    It has USB 2.0 and can run up to Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.8), so I think the best option is to use a USB WiFi adapter.  For example
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/MXP2802NU2C/
    I have an earlier version of the above product connecting my Power Mac G5 to my wireless network.  It actually has the "official" internal AirPort card, but it is only 802.11g (like the one for your iMac G5) and has less less range, so it is turned off.  The USB adapter goes up to 802.11n.

• 3rd Party SATA raid cards for internal drives?

All --
    Apart from the discussion as to if RAID actually benefits a home desktop system, I am wondering if anyone has the lowdown on using 3rd party SATA raid cards to support the INTERNAL hard drives on the Mac Pro series?
    My Mac Pro is still slated to be built at Apple and for now I have the minimum memory and HD spec being requested at Apple, with the plan to upgrade the memory and drives from OWC or another vendor.
    I've toyed with the idea of utilizing Disk Utility's software RAID features (e.g. RAID 0 for scratch disks, RAID 1 for boot, RAID 0+1 for all else.) I've also toyed with the notion of searching for a hardware raid solution which would allow me to transfer the internal SATA cable runs from the motherboard to a host adapter card for an internal multi-channel experience (with options to create and break mirrors to external devices for backup purposes.)
    So....
    Has anyone experience or utilized 3rd party hardware raid controllers which can connect to the internal HD bays? Are there limitations to this (ie, does the boot drive HAVE to reside off the internal motherboard controllers, or can an internal hardware controller successfully boot the system) of which ought be noted?
    Finally, in the event that a host adapter card cannot drive the interna bays, can anyone give feedback to hardware SATA cards to power external drive bays with support for Disk Utility (to allow RAID1 pairings of internal drives to external snapshot-backup drives)?
    Thanks for your time,
    Ian Poulin
    Richmond, Va

I am wondering if anyone has the lowdown on using 3rd party SATA raid cards to support the INTERNAL hard drives on the Mac Pro series?
    There are many 3rd party controllers that support the internal HDs if an internal iPass connector is used. The problem is that some are bootable but most are not.
    The Areca ARC-1680ix-12 and the HighPoint RocketRAID 4320 are bootable. However, the system cannot be installed via the Apple DVD. Instead the user needs to clone a boot drive with the proper drivers to the boot volume on the controller and then boot from the 3rd party controller.
    The other issue I found is that these controllers do not support Boot Camp. If Boot Camp is desired, my recommendation would be to leave the internal HDs on the Mac Pro internal bus intact and use the 3rd party controller for external storage. This method provides four internal bays that are bootable, support Boot Camp and can be used for system backups. I use the 3rd party controller for external storage for large RAID sets and hot swapping hard disks.
    With the internal bays intact and external hot swap RAID storage available the user can support Boot Camp, multiple system volumes and large external RAID sets. From my experience using a 3rd party controller with the internal HD bays always has some limitations. The user usually does not realize it unit later when Boot Camp does not work or the computer fails on a system upgrade or the controller does not work at all with a new version of Mac OS X.
    Staying with the standard internal Mac Pro bay configuration will be the best configuration to avoid compatibility issues with future versions of Mac OS X. It is rumored that the new Snow Leopard may require 64-bit drivers. If that is the case, I would expect most if not all existing 3rd party controller drivers to fail. Some drivers will be upgraded after a few months while others may not. Having the internal Mac Pro SATA controller intact should at least allow the Mac Pro to boot if my guess about compatibility issues is correct.
    can anyone give feedback to hardware SATA cards to power external drive bays with support for Disk Utility (to allow RAID1 pairings of internal drives to external snapshot-backup drives)?
    There are a large number of external controllers that work with Disk Utility. Here are some of my favorites.
    1. FirmTek SeriTek/2SE2-E and the SeriTek/5PM
    http://firmtek.stores.yahoo.net/sata5pm2se2.html
    http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/reviews/articles/firmtek/5pm/
    2. Sonnet Tempo E4P
    http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/reviews/articles/sonnet/mac-pro/
    3. DAT Optic eSATA_PCIe8
    http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/reviews/articles/datoptic/pcie8/
    Have fun!

• Supported Dual Band Wifi Card for s230u Twist?

I just bought the s230u Twist and realized that the Intel 2230 wifi card is *not* dual band (2.4 GHz only).  I also realize that the BIOS has a whitelist for mini-pci cards and need to know if there are any dual band cards that are supported.  Thanks.

Hey there guys,
    Jccheng, the ThinkPad a/b/g/n Wireless & Bluetooth 4.0 (2x2 ABGN & BT 4.0) is a dual band adapter that is compatible and comes as upgrade with the ThinkPad Twist s230u. The 802.11a only runs on a 5Ghz Frequency, and the 802.11n can run on either. I have listed all the adapter options with part numbers below:
    04W3763 Cybertan BCM43228+BCM20702 abgn WLAN & BT 4.0 Combo (ThinkPad a/b/g/n)
    04W3764 Liteon BCM43228+BCM20702 abgn WLAN & BT 4.0 Combo (ThinkPad a/b/g/n)
    04W3765 Intel 2x2 11bgn + BT4.0 Combo Jackson Peak1 (Centrino 2230)
    As an option, you can call the Lenovo Contact Center, 1-800-426-7378, for a Parts Only order. Hope this helps!
    Ophion, are you looking for the Intel Card for a specific feature?
    Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Maybe you are looking for

• Bluetooth problem with 6230i

I'm beginning to think that getting Bluetooth was a big mistake. I use a Belkin dongle with a WIDCOMM 3.0.1.912 driver and a "just downloaded" version of PC Suite. The PC is running WXP SP2. I've paired the phone and the PC successfully and see the p

• RAID 1 Vs RAID 0+1

Hi All, My database is a part of Oracle 11i application is of version 10.2.0.4 and OS is AIX 5.3. Our datafile where on RAID 1 configuration (datafile and indexes files on different mount points). (In our env ,read and write is almost same ,though re

• DVI out to component in (DVCPro HD)

Repost... Sorry, accidently posted in FCE, would like to ask again here. Other than buying the Matrox MXO, I'm stumped. I need to capture a clients PowerPoint into a FCP HD timeline so that they can see all their transitions, then I'll use Compressor

• IPad 3 or iPad 4?

I have just purchased from a reputable outlet, what i am told is an iPad 4. However, if you look at the back of it, it has the same black band across the top as the 3 does. In any image i can find for the reverse of the iPad 4, it is all silver with

• How do you create a "DEVELOPER PROFILE" in xcode (4.2 on Snow Leopard)?

How do you create a "DEVELOPER PROFILE" in xcode (4.2 on Snow Leopard)? I accidentally deleted it from Keychain Access.