How to destroy hardware raid on T5120

Hi,
I have problem creating hardware raid on T5120 with 4 disks. After the hardware raid 1 created, then I used the raidctl -l c1t0d0 and raidctl -l c1t2d0
the output of volume c1t0d0 contain disk 0.0.0 0.1.0, also the volume c1t2d0 contain disk 0.0.0 0.1.0 and should be 0.2.0 0.3.0
so I destroy both volume and then i issued command raidctl, the out shows controller 1 with disk 0.0.0 0.1.0 0.2.0 0.3.0, I thought output should be no raid volume found.
Anyone knows how to complete destroy the hardware.
Thanks for your help!

Give root password to your Windows admin? :)
http://dlc.sun.com/pdf/820-2179-11/820-2179-11.pdf
To Delete a Hardware RAID Volume
# raidctl
Controller: 1
Volume:c1t0d0
Disk: 0.0.0
Disk: 0.1.0
# raidctl -d c1t0d0

Similar Messages

• I need help on how to setup hardware raid for ASM.

In the « Recommendations for Storage Preparation” section in the following documentation: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b31107/asmprepare.htm
    It mentions:
    --Use the storage array hardware RAID 1 mirroring protection when possible to reduce the mirroring overhead on the server.
    Which is a good raid 1 configuration considering my machine setup?
    “I put my Machine info below.”
    Should I go for something like:
    5 * raid 1 of 2 disks in each raid: disk group DATA
    5 * raid 1 of 2 disks in each raid: disk group FRA
    Then ASM will take care of all the striping between the 5 raids inside a disk group right?
    OR, I go for:
    1 * raid 1 of 10 disks: disk group DATA
    1 * raid 1 of 10 disks: disk group FRA
    In the second configuration, does ASM recognize that there are 10 disks in my raid configuration and stripes on those disks? Or to use ASM striping, I need to have lots of raid in a disks group?
    Here is my Machine Characteristics:
    O/s is Oracle Enterprise Linux 4.5 64 bit
    Single instance on Enterprise Edition 10g r2
    200 GIG database size.
    High "oltp" environment.
    Estimated growth of 60 to 80GIG per year
    50-70GIG archivelogs generation per Day
    Flashback time is 24 hours: 120GIG of flashback space in avg
    I keep a Local backup. Then push to another disk storage, then on tape.
    General Hardware Info:
    Dell PowerEdge 2950
    16 GIG RAM
    2 * 64 bit dual core CPU's
    6 * local 300G/15rpm disks
    Additional Storage:
    Dell PowerVault MD1000
    15 * 300G/15rpm Disks
    So I have 21 Disks in total.

I would personally prefer the first configuration and let ASM stripe the disks. Generally speaking, many RAID controllers will stripe then mirror (0+1) when you tell it to build a striped and mirrored RAID set on 10 disks. Some will mirror then stripe (1+0) which is what most people prefer. That's because when a 1+0 configuration has a disk failure, only a single RAID 1 set needs to be resync'd. The other members of the stripe won't have to be resynchronized.
    So, I'd prefer to have ASM manage 5 luns and let ASM stripe across those 5 luns in each disk group. It also increases your ability to reorganize your storage if you need 20% more info in DATA and can afford 20% less in FRA, you can move one of your RAID 1 luns from FRA to DATA easily.
    That's my 0.02.

• Destroyed mirror RAID (1), Want to get data, but how?

I had a degraded mirrored RAID set that was functioning in its degraded state - reads and writes were no problem.
    I thought that if I used DiskUtility to destroy the RAID, it would convert the drives to normal drives, and I would have access to each individually, but this was not the case. I also thought the data was backed up, but this was not the case.
    I used the minus sign in the RAID tab DiskUtility to destroy the RAID. There are now 2 drives, but neither is able to be mounted:
    bash-3.2# diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUIDpartitionscheme *698.6 Gi disk0
    1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1
    /dev/disk2
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUIDpartitionscheme *698.6 Gi disk2
    1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk2s1
    2: Apple_HFS 698.3 Gi disk2s2
    If I try to verify the first disk:
    bash-3.2# diskutil verifyDisk disk0
    Error encountered attempting to verify/repair disk0: Unrecognized filesystem (-9958)
    but if I try to mount it, it thinks the mount is successful, but nothing new shows up on the Desktop, nor with "df"
    bash-3.2# diskutil mountDisk disk0
    Volume(s) mounted successfully
    in reality, the drive is NOT "mounted successfully."
    disk2 is in worse shape, as the OS is not even fooled into thinking it is mountable:
    bash-3.2# diskutil mountDisk disk2
    One or more volume(s) failed to mount
    So I am trying to put my recovery efforts toward disk0.
    Any ideas on how to mount the drive and get data off of it?

I had the same issue a few months back.
    1 drive of my mirroed raid died. So I took the working drive out of that box and put it in a FW enclosure. It mounted fine. However after converting it back to a regular volume it would not mount. I tried everything thing I exhausted google searches.
    the only fix was to reinitialise the drive. Luckily I had the data backed up elsewhere.

• Using a Mac Pro w / Apple Internal Hardware RAID Card?

Anyone using a Mac Pro with a Apple Hardware RAID Card 2010?
    ( I have a 12 Core )
    Is it worth the $600-700 ?
    How much faster than the software RAID 0?
    I see Hamm's RAID tips chart .. but it doesn't include such options .. plus it is based on a PC system.
    Any tips would be great ..
    I find many areas where the application is slow / unresponsive .. and I'm not sure where the bottleneck is ... Maybe the hardware RAID will solve it?
    I'm really am impressed with CS5 .. it would be even better with some adjustments .. but I am absolutely disappointed with sluggish performance on my top-of-the-line Mac Pro 12 Core.
    This is not what I expected for a $8,000 machine.
    Some users says that the port of CS5 for the Mac has taken a back seat to the Windows version at Adobe.
    I can't imagine that Adobe would not put 100% effort into Mac products.
    Go Team!!!

I have a 2009 Mac Pro 3.33GHz Quad core w/ Apple RAID card, 16GB RAM from OWC, and Apple's Radeon HD 5870 GPU.
    I have RAID 0 set across 3x1TB drives internally, and the standard 640GB drive for OSX and all program files. I set all video assets, renders, previews and such on the 3TB RAID.
    This seems to work wonderfully. I built this system specifically to edit a feature film shot on P2 DVCProHD, and I've been impressed with how it handles it. This was all built prior to CS5, which took me by surprise. Had I known nVidia would become such a problem for Apple, I would have built a PC, but that's another story.
    I just started a new project in CS5 on the same system, this time using H.264 video from my Nikon D7000, and so far, it seems to play just as nicely, despite not having hardware acceleration via CUDA technology. Yellow bars on top, even. I haven't had any problems with clips taking a long time to populate on the timeline or any of that, so perhaps the RAID card helps there.
    All this aside, I've already decided to upgrade my RAID for another reason. Right now, my backup is performed via an eSATA-connected external drive through a PCI eSATA card. After every edit session, I dump everything on the RAID onto the external drive, and it goes much faster than the old FW800 transfer used to. I'm about to replace my Apple RAID card with an Areca card and set up a 4-bay RAID 3 via an SAS connection. This will allow for excellent data throughput while offering more security than my current RAID 0 / manual backup system, and free up the internal drives for backups, exports and render files.
    I believe in hardware RAID, but I'm not as knowledgeable as Harm and others are about it. I had my Mac built to order with the Apple RAID card, so I have no experience using Premiere with a software RAID. Due to my smooth experience using it, I think it was worth it, but plenty of people say the Apple RAID card is rubbish, and to go with Areca or Atto cards. I didn't know about them until after I built my system, and even though it will cost a couple thousand to upgrade my RAID from this point, I expect to have an even better system than I already have.
    I hope this helps, and feel free to ask any questions I didn't address.

• How to start a RAID 5 rebuild (Mac Pro Lion)?

Dear community,
    does anyone know a solution for the following problem?
    Mac Pro (2011) with hardware raid and four drives (2TB) configured as raid 5 raidset (named RS1). Raid controller lost connection to the drive in bay 3 but could reconnect after a couple of minutes. Raidset RS1 then reported as degraded in Raid Utility and drive in bay 3 as "roaming". It was no longer part of the raidset. Turned Mac Pro off, removed and re-inserted drive. After the next start the drive in bay 3 shows in Raid Utility with all green status (no longer roaming). Making the drive a spare drive via Raid Utility disconnects it for ten to twenty seconds, then it shows up again. No rebuild of raidset starting. According to past discussions I found here, the rebuild should start automatically. But what can you do if it does not?  
    Raidutil output as follows:
    raidutil list raidsetinfo
                                         Total     Avail
    Raidsets      Type       Drives       Size      Size  Comments
    RS1           RAID 5     1,2,4      5.23TB    0.00MB  No tasks running
    raidutil list driveinfo
    Drives  Raidset       Size      Flags
    Bay #1  RS1             2.00TB   IsMemberOfRAIDSet:RS1 IsReliable
    Bay #2  RS1             2.00TB   IsMemberOfRAIDSet:RS1 IsReliable
    Bay #3  <none>          2.00TB   IsReliable IsNotAssigned
    Bay #4  RS1             2.00TB   IsMemberOfRAIDSet:RS1 IsReliable
    Kind regards,
    Marc

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any idea how to re-initialize the drive? It now seems to be marked as spare(?) and any operations on it are rejected:
    > sudo raidutil modify drive --removelocalspare -d 3 -r RS1
    Modifying drives...   FAILED.
    The drive is in use and is unable to be set unconfigured.
    > sudo raidutil modify drive --removeglobalspare -d 3
    Modifying drives...   FAILED.
    The drive is in use and is unable to be set unconfigured.
    > raidutil list status
    Apple raidutil version: 1.3.0
    General Status: Issues Found
            The volume [R4V1:RS1  [ID: 4]] is degraded.
            The volume [Vol-RS1:RS1  [ID: 4]] is degraded.
            Raidset (RS1) is degraded.
    Battery Status: Charged
    Controller  #1: Hardware Version 2.00/Firmware E-1.3.2.0
                    Write Cache enabled
    Volume            Status            Type       Drives       Size  Comments
    R4V1              Is Viable         RAID 5     1,2,4      3.23TB  Is Degraded                     
    Vol-RS1           Is Viable         RAID 5     1,2,4      2.00TB  Is Degraded 
    > raidutil list driveinfo
    Drives  Raidset       Size      Flags
    Bay #1  RS1             2.00TB   IsMemberOfRAIDSet:RS1 IsReliable
    Bay #2  RS1             2.00TB   IsMemberOfRAIDSet:RS1 IsReliable
    Bay #3  <none>          2.00TB   IsReliable IsNotAssigned
    Bay #4  RS1             2.00TB   IsMemberOfRAIDSet:RS1 IsReliable

• X2100 hardware RAID support

Got a new X2100 server with two SATA disks.
    I upgraded the BIOS using the Supplemental 1.1 disk. The BIOS revision reported is now 1.0.3.
    Have defined a hardware RAID mirror of two SATA disks using the BIOS utility. Looks Ok and is reported as "Healty Mirror" when the machine is turned on.
    If I boot Fedora Core 4 (which is not officially supported by Sun) I see two disks instead of one as expected.
    If I boot Solaris 10 1/96 (which IS supported) then no disks are found!
    So my question is: Does anyone know if the HW RAID system on the X2100 is supported at all? And if it is, how?

Have you looked the procedure in this manual?
    http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hardware/docs/html/8 19-3720-11/Chap2.html
    Also there seems to be a lack of drivers available with some operating systems ( W2003 ) on the X2100, this could be the case with FC4 ( although I use FC4 on a notebook and it seems very close to RHEL 4, but without RHEL graphics, clustering and other tools ). In the InfoDoc section of the spectrum handbook for the X2100, there is a document that discusses configuring SVM on x64 systems, at the begining the author recommends using the hardware RAID utility, this may suggest that it is supported. You should take a look through the system documentation to see if you have missed something, I'd be interested to know if you set the BIOS up for the various OS types!

• T2000 -Solaris 10 -  Hardware Raid - Hot Spare

Hi,
    i am setting up a t2000 server with Solaris 10. I have booted to single user mode through the network and am setting up the mirroring. (ie #raidctl -c c0t0d0 c0t1d0).
    This has worked fine.
    How does one go about setting up a disk to be a hot spare to this mirror. I found some docs on running raidctl -a set -g c0t3d0 c0t0d0 but the -a option no longer seems to be valid????
    Is it possible to set up a hot spare like this?
    Thanks,
    Darren

The hardware raid supports either mirrors or stripes. I don't believe hot spare is an option. Typically you would use a hot spare for a raid 5 configuration. Check out this doc page for more info:
    http://docs.sun.com/source/819-7990-10/ontario-volume_man.html#pgfId-1000514

• Determining Version of Hardware Raid on T5220

Hi,
    I am running Solaris 10. Lsiutil is not installed. I use raidctl to
    manage controller.
    Am struggling with something I cannot get much help on the internet on.
    I am trying to upgrade the firmware for my 'LSI,1068E' hardware raid
    controller for a T5220 server. The firmware comes in 2 versions B1 and
    B2. I cannot seem to find out which I have. Can anyone help the update
    documentation doesn't say how. Patch ID for B1 and B2 are Patch-ID#
    140951-01, Patch-ID# 140952-01.
    Thanks in advance
    bootbk
    root@tdir01 # /usr/sbin/prtconf -vp | egrep '(LSI|firmware-version|revision-id|mpt-version)'
    revision-id: 000000aa
    revision-id: 000000ac
    revision-id: 00000043
    revision-id: 00000043
    revision-id: 00000004
    revision-id: 00000006
    firmware-version: '1.27.00.00'
    mpt-version: '1.05'
    model: 'LSI,1068E'
    revision-id: 00000004

Hello,
    I would suggest that you download both patches (140952-01 is obsoleted by 140952-02 while 140951-01 is still current) and review the contained Install.info file.
    Usually this files contains a sample run of the update process. I'm sure that the updater detects if you try to apply the firmware for the wrong hardware revision. It asks for confirmation before the update is applied.
    Did you review the Sun System Handbook page for the T5520 systemboard (there should be notes about the LSI 1068E hardware revision) ?
    I don't have access to the current contract-only SSH.
    Michael

• Solaris Volume Manager or Hardware RAID?

Hi - before I build some new Solaris servers I'd like thoughts on the following please. I've previously built our Sun servers using SVM to mirror disks and one of the reasons is when I O/S patch the server I always split the mirrors beforehand and in the event of a failure I can just boot from the untouched mirror - this method has saved my bacon on numerous occasions. However we have just got some T4-1 servers that have hardware RAID and although I like this as it moves away from SVM / software RAID and to hardware RAID I'm now thinking that I will no longer have this "backout plan" in the event of issues with the O/S updates or otherwise however unlikely.
    Can anyone please tell me if I have any other options?
    Thanks - Julian.

Thanks - just going through the 300 page ZFS admin guide now. I want to ditch SVM as it's clunky and not very friendly whenever we have a disk failure or need to O/S patch as mentioned. One thing I have just read from the ZFS admin guide is that:
    "As described in “ZFS Pooled Storage” on page 51, ZFS eliminates the need for a separate volume
    manager. ZFS operates on raw devices, so it is possible to create a storage pool comprised of
    logical volumes, either software or hardware. This configuration is not recommended, as ZFS
    works best when it uses raw physical devices. Using logical volumes might sacrifice
    performance, reliability, or both, and should be avoided."
    So looks like I need to destroy my hardware RAID as well and just let ZFS manage it all. I'll try that, amend my JET template and kick of an install and see what it looks like.
    Thanks again - Julian.

• Premiere Pro CS4 Unusable With Hardware RAID 0

Greetings, This is a mysterious problem I seem to be having, let me tell my tale...
    I was using a software RAID0 while editing with Premiere.  Even using HD clips, it was very fast! The RAID was only to serve up the footage. Scratch disk and OS disks are on separate drives.
    We then upgraded to a Hardware RAID card (3ware) and migrated the data from the old to new drives, everything going fine. Finally get around to opening permiere and the project used to take 2 minutes or so to open, now takes an excruiciating 10-15 minutes!  Plus the timeline that I was able to scrub through at a decent speed is basically unusable.  I cannot play clips in the timeline either unless I render the preview, where on the software RAID I could play unrendered timelines with no stutters.
    Went back to the software raid just to check, and it performed just as fast as before.
    Of course I assumed it was a hardware issue. So I contacted 3Ware support and basically they were stumped.  Then I moved onto running a whole slew of tests from HDtune on the RAID array. I was getting around 290MBps and very nice random I/O speeds, write speeds were great too.  Weird. I could also open up any of my source clips in Quicktime and they would play perfect, and i could seek anywhere in the clip with no hesitation.
    Still not satisified, I opened up about 250 clips in Avid MC5, (using AMA linking to make sure it's not some kind of codec thing) and made a lot of short cuts in the timeline.  And lo and behold, it is playing like it is a rendered clip, and I can scrub through the timeline perfectly.
    This weird HDD activity was then confirmed using a disk monitor. Take a look at the graph:  http://www.bubble-engine.com/HDtune.jpg
    The low evenly space out bars are activity from using Premiere Pro, when the timeline is unusable. The big solid areas are me using Avid. You can see for some mysterious reason that Premiere isn't accessing the drive properly. But again, on the software RAID Premiere behaves properly.....
    Any Ideas?? This is one of the weirdest tech support things I've ever encountered...

when I click the record button, the screen goes to a blue screen with Playing on video hardware
    This is normal for HDV.
    How do I also get the Scene Detect to work?
    With HDV?
    Upgrade to CS5.

• Partitoning a Hardware Raid

OK, I have already searched the net to no avail, im hoping someone here will be able to help me.
    I currently have an external 300gb HD with 2 partitions, one is a bootable backup and the other is storage. I have recently realized that if this drive were to fail I would lose a ton of important data. I therefore have decided to create a raid setup. I am considering purchasing a Buffalo DriveStation Duo with 2 500GB drives in it. I would set this up in a RAID 1 array so I will have 500gb of usable space with a constant mirror image backup. My question is, can I partion the RAID into 2 partitions (as I have now with my 300 gb drive) one for a bootable backup and one for storage and still maintain the mirroring. In essence I want to have 1 drive with 2 partitions on it, and have the drive still be mirrored to the second drive.
    First-Is this possible?
    Second-Will I still be able to boot from the boot partition?
    Three-If so, can having more than one partition on a raid create problems, such as increased disk failure, slower speeds, etc?
    Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me with this!

Well, the reason that I wanted to do this raid array is because I store allot of files on my external drive that are not on my internal drive, therefore if my external drive were to fail my files would be gone for good. I also keep a bootable backup that I constantly recreate on a seperate partition of the external drive. I thought if I create the RAID then I would avoid loss of data in the event of a disk failure.
    As far as using my current drive, I was going to upgrade the amount of storage that I had and set up the raid system at the same time, If I buy 2 500gb drives I will have 500gb of usable space instead of 300gb.
    I am however unfamilier with OS X RAID software, is this the same as a "software raid" as I have heard that a software raid is much slower than a hardware raid because it uses you computers processer to mirror data rather than using a raid card in the enclosure.
    As for cost, I can buy this drive station duo (does raid 0 and 1, has firewire 800, 400, and usb, and an internal hardware raid) with 2 preinstalled 500gb sata drives for $300. I thought that this was a pretty good price for what I am getting but I am very uneducated in all of this and could be very wrong.
    If, like you said earlier, I can partiton the drives and then create a raid (with the harware raid and not need a "dual raid card" or whatever) I would do that. Are you saying that I would only be able to have the 2 raids required if I use the OS X software.
    I guess my questions boil down to this
    1. Is the OS X raid software considered a "software raid" and is it slower than a hardware raid? If so, by how much?
    2. If its not any slower, What materials would you recomend to build this considereing I want 500gb of usable space rather than the old 300gb?
    Also, if its not slower where is this software in the OS, Disk Utility? And how would I use it?
    3. If this software way is slower then I would still want to use the hardware method that I have been pursuing, can I still make the partitions in advance and then make 2 raids or will this not work with the hardware method?

• X4200 hardware raid not syncing

I got a x4200 with a RAID 1 configuration. Had a bad disk. Saw this in /var/adm/messages:
    Mar 22 17:37:00 vps3      Physical disk (target 1) is |missing|
    Mar 22 17:37:00 vps3      Physical disk (target 1) is |out of sync||missing|
    raidctl -S too showed a failed disk:
    c0t0d0               67.9G     N/A     DEGRADED OFF     RAID1
              0.0.0     67.9G          GOOD     
              N/A     67.9G          FAILED     
    So, I took it out and then replaced it with a new disk. This is what is being shown in the logs:
    Mar 23 20:25:22 vps3      Physical disk (target 1) is |out of sync||online|
    However, instead of showing a SYNC status, why does it just say DEGRADED but both disk are good:
    root@vps3:/# /usr/sbin/raidctl -l c0t0d0
    Volume               Size     Stripe     Status     Cache     RAID
         Sub               Size               Level
              Disk                         
    c0t0d0               67.9G     N/A     DEGRADED OFF     RAID1
              0.0.0     67.9G          GOOD     
              0.1.0     67.9G          GOOD     
    I am wondering if this command is just lieing to me? How can I ensure the RAID is working properly at this point? What is the best way to delete 0.1.0 device and replace it again?
    Thanks

midhu wrote:
    Hardware RAID is configured in one of the new T3-1B blade server from ok prompt and I am able to see the details using show-volumes from ok prompt. But from Solaris OS it is not visible using raidctl -l command. It doesn't return anything. Is there any way to check the RAID status from OS. Making the OS down is not an option everytime.
    # echo|format
    Searching for disks...done
    AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
    0. c0t3CF77D9D2CF0BA99d0 <LSI-LogicalVolume-3000 cyl 65533 alt 2 hd 64 sec 139>
    /pci@400/pci@1/pci@0/pci@2/LSI,sas@0/iport@v0/disk@w3cf77d9d2cf0ba99,0
    Specify disk (enter its number): Specify disk (enter its number):
    # raidctl -l
    Edited by: midhu on Jan 26, 2013 5:30 AMYour server seems a little confused as to whether it is a T3 or T4, as you reference T4 in the title and T3 in the body.
    raidctl may not be the correct utility because either:-
    - (1) A different utility is now needed to configurare the raid for these onboard controllers on newer tin.
    or
    - (2) You are using an add in raid card that requires different software:
    Please see for example: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E22985_01/html/E22986/z40001e11389320.html

• No RAID support, even hardware raid on the enclosure level

According to a report from XLR8Yourmac.com, a customer bought an Airport Extreme (n) basestation but was unable to have their RAID enclosure recognized. Instead, only one drive shows up instead of two, and is unreadable. Applecare told him that even hardware RAID needs to be supported at the driver level for the unit, and they didn't think the Extreme had enough horsepower to do it. I question this, since you can attach RAID enclosures to computers so old, they are less powerful computers than the n basestation.
    This is very bad news for me, as I have two 1TB RAIDs (OWC Mercury Elite Pro 800/400/USB2 SATA RAID enclosures) that I was going to attach to the new extreme, but now, I'm not buying one at all...

OK, thank you. That's exactly my status. And since this machine is very slow and has only around 1GB of memory (minus memory for the GPU!), a swap partition seems pretty important - and be it only for hibernating.
    For the records: I recently thought about trying out a swap file on a dedicated non-journaled partition (ext2 f.ex.) mounted with nodiscard. I don't know how much performance I would lose or if hibernating really works flawlessly. But since I'm now using a different harddrive for the netbook and it's running, I don't want to setup everything again at the moment. If anybody tries the swap file variant, it would be nice to report back in this thread :-)

• Xserve G5 won't boot off Hardware RAID partition

I'm running an Xserve G5, 2.0 GHz single processor, OS X Server 10.4.5 with an Apple Hardware RAID card with 3 500GB drive modules in a RAID 5. The RAID is partitioned into two partitions, one for the system and one for data. After installing a video card, the Xserve will not boot off of the system partition on the RAID. It will boot just fine off a clone of that exact partition on a firewire drive, which is how I have it functioning at the moment. I have tried erasing the system partition on the RAID and re-installing the Server software but whenever I try to boot it it gives me the flashing folder Icon. I have tried resetting the NVRAM as well as restoring the functional backup of the system to no avail.
    Any ideas? (I have run disk utility, DiskWarrior, repaired permissions etc.) I also checked the status of the RAID and it is in optimal condition. The data partition seems to be just fine and the system partition seems normal when booted from the external drive.
    Xserve, Dual 2.7 G5, G4 Powerbook, many others   Mac OS X (10.4.5)  

Harry, I just saw your post. I went through the same pain last fall, and it WAS resolved through Apple Support, but you aren't going to like the solution. Simply as background, during the pre-deployment testing of our Xserve, we were having problems with the Apple BTO SCSI card (really, an LSI Logic 22320) and swapped it out with an ATTO UL4D. Something in the card removal/replacement caused our Apple Hardware RAID card to go into the same mode as yours, where it would work fine as a RAID 5 (two LUNs, 50 GB and 417 GB, over 3x250 GB ADMs) but would not boot. Apple Support and I concluded that something had become corrupted in the firmware or boot code on the Apple Hardware RAID card, but they did not have a file to use to flash it, so they swapped out the card under our support contract, and that fixed it. I still believe that, if I had had a file to flash the card with using the megaraid command, that the original card would have been fixed. FYI the new card has Firmware Version: A131, BIOS Version G117, the old card had Firmware Version: A130, BIOS Version G117. Completely unrelated to this, I've had a RADAR bug report (RADAR #4350243) open since last November that the Apple Hardware RAID card fails to fully flush its write caches on graceful power down. I've got a test case that is 100% reproducible, causes mystery garbage blocks from space. I'd suggest that you turn the write caches off on all LUNs on your Apple Hardware RAID card as a workaround until this is fixed. LSI Logic (the Apple Hardware RAID card is a rebranded LSI Logic card) found and fixed this bug on a later firmware rev from Apple's version. No update is available yet from Apple.
    Xserve G5 Mac OS X (10.4.6)
    Xserve G5   Mac OS X (10.4.6)  

• Hardware RAID on Arch?

Hello~ I'm buying myself a new PC soon and I was really looking forward to putting Arch on it but the problem is is that I cheaped out on the mobo so I have to get a $20 PCI raid card in order to put my new 160gbs in RAID0, the only problem is that of course the only drivers supplied are for Windows, and I'm not sure how to go about doing this on Arch / any other linux distro because I'm simply not the best at the linux environment. So yeah, any comments are appeciated. Oh, and if it matters, here's the link to the card I'll be getting: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6816132008

dr0p wrote:Okay, well if it's supported, how would I set it up just like in the software raid article I read?
    I think you're getting confused now...
    Software RAID and Hardware RAID are separate things. If you have Hardware RAID, you don't need to use Software RAID. The RAID array will just appear like a normal hard drive to Linux and the Hardware controller will take care of the RAID part.
    Software RAID can be used instead of hardware RAID to save costs (no hardware controller required). Software RAID is generally slower than hardware RAID, but not noticable in desktop applications.

Maybe you are looking for

• How to access SOAP web service with authentication, HTTP basic Authentication

Dear All i use Flash Builder 4.5, flex 4..1, i am developing a flex client to soap webservices hosted over Glassfish 2 Java server, the web services is protected by HTTP Basic Authentication, everythime i run my code , the prombt for username and pas

• Why does iTunes not give me the option to backup my iPhone?

I have three iPhones in my family. On two of the iPhones, I am able to plug them into my computer and do a local backup (by selecting it in iTunes, right clicking and choosing "Back Up"). There is one phone, however, that does not allow me to choose

• 2.0.2 GPS is now really slow to locate me, and now my reception is worse

ever since i updated to 2.0.2 my gps takes a while to locate me sometimes it wont i just get the crosshair. my phone reception is much worse it gets broken up a few minutes into a call. everything was fine on the original and the 2.0.1 firmware but 2

• Can't remove a user defined field with DI API.

Hi, I'm using the code below to remove a user field.  However, the first time I run it, I get the message that: "Ref count for this object is higher then 0" The second time I run it, I get the message that: "No matching records found (ODBC -2028)" As

• Acrobat Reader DC Uninstalled my LiveCycle...

Hello, I had to install Acrobat Reader on my PC yesterday for testing purposes and it apparently uninstalled my old copy of Acrobat Pro and LiveCycle and I want them back. Does anyone know how I can go about this? I'm kind of angry that Adobe did thi