Installing Vista on xp-preinst​alled t400

Hi,
I've found a t400 for a great price but it's only comes with xp preinstalled and no vista recovery. But I have an unused copy of a non-oem version of Vista 64 at home so I'm wondering if all the other lenovo software and drivers can be downloaded so that it will be the same thing as if I had bought a t400 with Vista preinstalled?
Thanks,
Staffan

a brody wrote:
I'm considering buying Parallels, VMWare, QEMU, Wintel for Mac OS X, or VirtualBox and either XP 2 32 bit, or 64 bit so I can play a few games and run Netflix's movie previews as well as install some old Windows 98 and 2000 compatible games, and maybe a few newer ones. Which of these virtualization environments is best in terms of security and speed when it comes to the Mac environment, and is least like to balk at a variety of peripherals connected?
I'm experimenting with VMWare and running Windows XP Pro SP2. It's running very well in contrast to some others. I picked trying VMWare because I've read it that VM was faster in performance than Parallels. But ultimately, if you want your MBP to run as fast in Windows as it does in OS X, you'll probably want to use Boot Camp, IMHO.
I'm curious, too, to see what others have done and their experiences.

Similar Messages

• Can't sync after my windows vista crashed, now installed vista again. Help?

Please help me as i'm trying to sync my iphone after my windows vista crashed but i installed vista again and restored all my backup from previous windows, now what can i do in order to sync my iphone?

It tries to sync but only for a few seconds and it goes away without syncing at all. It acts like it synced but it never does. There are no error messages displayed.

• I am trying to install a hp officejet 4215 all in one on a HP Pavilion slimline with Vista

I am trying to install a hp officejet 4215 all in one on a HP  Pavilion slimline with Vista, I log in under myself and  I am an administrator, When I run the cd to install it shows that I need to be logged in as administrator, any help out there ?

I am not sure why the HP software needs to recognize your airport. That's a function of the OS. Can you be more specific about the problem you are having? Do you have some screen shots? Is the Macbook connected to the router?
    If the HP printer can't recognized the router, that's a different story. You'll need to plug the Macbook into the printer (by cable) to config it (that's typical). You may need to assigne the printer its own static IP address (which I would advise doing anyway). That way you can always find it and it will make setting up network printers on other computers a bit easier.
    DB

• I need to uninstall then re-install Vista Home Basic and need to know if I must back up all my bookmarks to a disk first.

I have had on-going problems with communication between my Lexmark X3650 printer/scanner/copier and my Dell Vostro PC. Dell has instructed me to uninstall then re-install Vista Home Basic to my PC. I need to know if I will lose my Firefox bookmarks when I do this (I am waiting for them to send me the Vista disk before I can re-install). Will my bookmarks be saved on Firefox? Will I have to re-load my Firefox browser? I am certainly no computer whiz buy I simply cannot afford to lose all these links (collegiate workbooks and course-work submission links etc.). HELP!

You can backup the bookmarks in the Bookmarks Manager.
    You can export the bookmarks in Firefox to an HTML file:
    Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Import & Backup > Export HTML
    You can also create a JSON backup:
    Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Import & Backup > Backup
    An HTML backup doesn't support tags and annotations, so if you want to preserve those then you need to use a JSON backup.<br />
    Restoring a JSON backup will replace all existing bookmarks, so existing bookmarks are lost.<br />
    Importing an HTML backup will merge the imported bookmarks with existing bookmarks, so you do not lose the bookmarks that you already have, but you may get duplicate bookmarks if some already exist.
    See also http://kb.mozillazine.org/Backing_up_and_restoring_bookmarks_-_Firefox

• Losing the will - Bay 2 1TB Hard Drive can't install Vista AT ALL!

I have a new Mac Pro and installed a Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB hard drive in bay 2, solely for a Vista install (for editing AVCHD in Sony Vegas) but I cannot under any circumstances, install Vista on any partition, be it the full, halved, any combination at all - you name it, I can't install.
    I get as far as the partition screen in Vista and his is where things slip up - I have had the Boot Camp partition (only on a split, never on the single partition) and it just will not let me install. Not under any circumstance.
    This is appalling, I have been onto Apple who have escelated it to one of their engineers, he did not have a clue. Way to go.
    So, I was wondering if anybody had any ideas or has experienced this?
    BTW, I have not tried to install to the OS hard drive yet - don't really want to mess with it.
    TIA

There are a number of things you can do, but in every case, you have to delete any FAT partition, create NTFS before you can install. In some cases, a restart from Vista DVD is required before it proceeds.
    In one instance, I had to remove the OS X drive, but that may be why some jump to wrong conclusion about drive bays making a difference - they don't.
    You got it installed so you must have been at least somewhat successful.
    I use Disk Utility to create and format the drive 99% of the time. If you are going to dedicate a drive to Vista, even multiple FAT/NTFS partitions, I would set the partition table (Partition: Options.... in Disk Utility) to Master Boot Record rather than GUID.
    Let Windows do all the updates through multiple reboots before you insert the Leopard DVD to add Apple setup.exe services often called "BootCamp drivers."
    BootCamp Assistant is unnecessary and I don't think well designed even yet for use on Mac Pro UNLESS you need to install Windows on the same drive as OS X, such as you find on iMac/MacBook series.
    Vista DVDs are now available with SP1 already, which is what I would buy today if I was buying Vista.
    say "had" because a couple of days down the line when I tried to boot into Vista, I was met with a black screen and flashing cursor.
    Any hardware changes? installed drivers?
    When you say you looked far and wide... I have been active here and on Mac Pro discussion and Vista issue.
    There are also some good threads on MacRumors:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1

• I keep getting notices to install Adobe Flash Player version 10, however when I click on the various boxes, it then tells me that Flash Player does not support Vista. What does all this mean?

I keep getting notices to install Adobe Flash Player Version 10, however when I click on the various boxes, it then says that Flash Player does not support Vista. What does all this mean and what is a Flash Player?

I keep getting notices to install Adobe Flash Player Version 10, however when I click on the various boxes, it then says that Flash Player does not support Vista. What does all this mean and what is a Flash Player?

• Hi all, i just bought the new macbook pro and just want to know if i can install Vista or Xp on it?

Hi all, i just bought the new macbook pro and just want to know if i can install Vista or Xp on it?

Yes.
    Windows on Intel Macs
    There are presently several alternatives for running Windows on Intel Macs.
    1. Install the Apple Boot Camp software.  Purchase Windows XP w/Service Pak2, Vista, or Windows 7.  Follow instructions in the Boot Camp documentation on installation of Boot Camp, creating Driver CD, and installing Windows.  Boot Camp enables you to boot the computer into OS X or Windows.
    2. Parallels Desktop for Mac and Windows XP, Vista Business, Vista Ultimate, or Windows 7.  Parallels is software virtualization that enables running Windows concurrently with OS X.
    3. VM Fusionand Windows XP, Vista Business, Vista Ultimate, or Windows 7.  VM Fusion is software virtualization that enables running Windows concurrently with OS X.
    4. CrossOver which enables running many Windows applications without having to install Windows.  The Windows applications can run concurrently with OS X.
    5. VirtualBox is a new Open Source freeware virtual machine such as VM Fusion and Parallels that was developed by Solaris.  It is not as fully developed for the Mac as Parallels and VM Fusion.
    Note that Parallels and VM Fusion can also run other operating systems such as Linux, Unix, OS/2, Solaris, etc.  There are performance differences between dual-boot systems and virtualization.  The latter tend to be a little slower (not much) and do not provide the video performance of the dual-boot system.
    See MacTech.com's Virtualization Benchmarking for comparisons of Boot Camp, Parallels, and VM Fusion.  Boot Camp is only available with Leopard or Snow Leopard. Except for Crossover and a couple of similar alternatives like DarWine you must have a valid installer disc for Windows. You must also have an internal optical drive for installing Windows. Windows cannot be installed from an external optical drive.

• Tecra M7 DVD: CD/DVD RAM drive does not work since installing Vista

I did a clean installation on my Vista Ready new M7. It had XP tablet to begin with and the DVD drive worked fine. Indeed I used it to install Vista (Home Premium).
    Now it does not work at all. It spins but does not read. Device Manager tells me device cannot start. Tried to update driver and it told me that it has the most uptodate driver.
    Downloaded all the drivers from Tosh download centre for Vista upgrade of M7 (which got bluetooth, screen rotation etc to work fine). But none of the downloads seemed to be a driver for the DVD-Ram drive. Can not find a driver anywhere else (including Panasonic site).
    DVD drive is Mat****a DVD-RAM UJ-841s
    Any suggestions?

Hi
    On the Toshiba driver page you can find the DLA for Tecra m7.
    Did you try to install the XP DVD-RAM driver from the Toshiba page on the Vista OS?
    Maybe it will works
    But listen the CD/DVD drive uses the common Microsoft drivers which are included into Vista or XP.
    Therefore an additional driver should be not needed!
    One additional proposal;
    Remove the CD/DVD drive from the device manager and reboot the notebook.
    After new reboot the OS should install the drive again and should renew the software.
    Other hint:
    - Start the registry
    - Choose the registry key;
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    - In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters and LowerFilters then click Delete.
    - and restart the notebook

• Installing vista 64 on a MacBook Pro (early 2008)

I hope this will save someone some time.
    Leopard is the world’s most advanced operating system.
    So advanced, it even lets you run Windows if there’s a PC
    application you need to use. Just get a copy of Windows
    and start up Boot Camp, now included with Leopard. Setup
    is simple and straightforward — just as you’d expect with a
    Mac.
    Marketing hype.
    Set up is nowhere as simple as with a DIY intel motherboard, a Dell or HP, Asus ...
    If you follow the "instructions" trying to get vista64 up on a macbook pro you'll spend literally hours and end up with a half working system. I have a retail copy of Leopard 10.5, installing the drivers from that resulted in non functional:
    Ethernet
    Audio
    No Graphics acceleration
    No iSight
    If you are installing vista on a modern computer (a core 2 duo processor and better) then you really want to install vista 64, it runs faster and it addresses more ram. I'm sure the situation for vista32 is better, I was just astounded at the virtual lack of support for 64 bit.
    The boot camp fiasco was install vista, install the drivers from the leopard disk and try to install the 2.1 boot camp update. Installing vista from the os x boot camp (ie put the vista media in the drive, run boot camp and in theory Windows installs) resulted in a freeze on restart, a black screen with a frozen underbar cursor.
    So I just booted from the vista dvd (64 bit media with sp1) worked like a charm. To do this hold the option key down as the machine is restarting, and choose the vista dvd as the boot disk in the boot picker. That worked nicely. Another point is that boot camp will make a partition for you, but it will be a DOS FAT-32 partition. This makes a certain amount of sense since it allows both Vista and OS X to read and write the windows partition, however vista will probably be happier with an ntfs partition, and in the vista installer you can select this option and reformat the partition.
    Vista installed with no hitches (though it will restart a few times, it might be worth setting the default boot volume to the vestigial vista install using the OS X sys prefs after the first restart to avoid needing to stand over the install to hit the option key. Once vista was up I made the next boot camp discovery.
    The BC 2.1 update will not run on my install. This seems like a very common thing for the 64 bit version. The web has speculation that you need to install the Mac Pro drivers on the MacBook and mostly the 2.1 64 nit BC update is reported to install. I don't really want to deal with bit torrent, and that seems to fly in the face of Apple's interests so it's odd the drivers are just not on Apples site in seperate install packages for each device.
    It's possible I need a newer retail leopard, but even so a "real" hardware company would provide individual driver installers on their site. After futzing around every which way with boot camp trying to get net and other things working, I had a realization.
    Forget boot camp.
    It's probably a waste of time.
    The four things I care about are net (wired and 802.11, display drivers, audio).
    A troll around the net dug up Marvell Yukon drivers for Vista64 (Marvell's site), Broadcom 43xx drivers (in an asus package from a random site), Realtek ALC885 drivers (from realtek's site). Video I've not got to yet, I booted into OS X to look at "about this mac" to see what kind of hardware is in this puppy. And while I was here I thought I'd write this up in case it saves anyone else some pain.
    You'll need to do a manual install of the realtek and broadcom drivers, the marvel installer did the right thing. To do that, bring up the start menu (bottom LH corner), find computer on the right hand side of this. Right click that and choose "Manage". Click devices and then navigate to the device for which you want to reinstall the drivers, double click to get the properties dialog, hit the drivers tab and click the reinstall button, manually install the drivers, navigating to the folder you unzipped the driver files to.
    I now have networking and sound, display is up next. I deinstalled Apple's software update stuff and boot camp. Vista 64 works quite well once you get the non apple supplied drivers on there.
    -- Nick

Poetsave wrote:
    I just bought my first Mac, Macbook Pro 15in 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm.
    I installed XP of a disk I had then used a Vista upgrade disk i had to install Vista. I noticed quickly that it was a 32bit version since it only recognized 3gb ram. I have been trolling the forums here and still have yet to get a straight answer on how to install vista 64 and have it actually work. So when what you are saying is I need a Mac Pro disk? Not the disk that came with my Macbook Pro to install all the drivers I need?
    James
    So it really depends. If you have an "early 2008" MBP as follows:
    Hardware Overview:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B00
    SMC Version: 1.27f1
    Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxx
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled
    Then the disk from an equivalent Mac Pro (needs to be of similar vintage) may help you. But if you have once of the newer models ("late 2008") this has an nVidia chipset in it and the drivers for that may not be on the Mac Pro.
    You'll need 64bit drivers for the nVidia chipset for this to work.
    A side note is that the EFI implementation on the "Early 2008" MPB might well be 32 bit, so it's debatable if you get the full advantage of 64bit Vista in terms of performance. It worked for me, but YMMV. In any case when Windows 7 ships, my Macs will mostly be in "Legacy" mode.
    -- Nick

• Error message while installing Vista

I have got a windows vista installation disk now, I am trying to install it but when I am trying to install it, I have a message which says that I need to delete these items:
    o The Sims 2
    o Intel PROSet/Wireless
    o TOSHIBA Direct Disc Writer Format Utility
    o TOSHIBA Disc Creator
    o TOSHIBA PC Diagnostic Tool
    o TOSHIBA SD Memory Card Format
    o TOSHIBA Utilities
    o TOSHIBA Virtual Sound
    o TOSHIBA Zooming Utility
    o Alps Touch Pad Utility
    o Easy Capture
    o Sun Java Scheduler
    o Windows Messenger 5.1
    o TOSHIBA Hardware Setup Utility
    o TOSHIBA Power Saver
    o TOSHIBA Hotkey Utility
    Now, I don not care about deleting programs like the sims 2 but the Toshiba files seem really important and I am worried that if I delete these then it could really effect my laptop please can someone direct me on if I should delete these, and if I should go ahead with the installation of vista
    reply please

Hi buddy,
    I can tell you why Vista says these programs had to be deleted. Because you have to download the "Vista-versions" including all "Vista-drivers" from the Toshiba website.
    So, if you want to install everything clearly and if you want a clear and "sober" system, then I suggest you the following things:
    1.) Download all toshiba drivers and softwaretools from these adresses:
    http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/download_drivers_bios.jsp
    http://209.167.114.38/support/Download/ln_byModel.asp
    and burn it to a DVD to have them available ALL the time and independently from anything.
    2.) Backup your important data to DVD/ext.HDD/?foobla? and watch out for Vista versions of your in XP installed applications.
    3.) Boot the Vista-DVD and when you can choose between updating and clear full install with formatting the HDD, rather choose the option, where you
    can format and do this. Clear your whole HDD from that XP (YEAH! :P) and install Vista on it.
    4.) After Vista was installed (hopefully successful) take the DVD with all drivers and software youve downloaded and install them.
    5.) Hope everything went fine. You should now have a working Vista with "Vista-drivers" and "Vista-software".
    I think this should help you. If not, then I had a nice time writing this. ;)
    Greets

• Trying to install vista 64 on a separate internal drive with boot camp

running into a wall here,
    I'm able to install vista x64 when I divide an internal OS X drive that works fine, but I want to load Vista on it's own entire internal disk (bay 4). Bays 1,2, and 3 I use for OS X they are all 1TB drives. When I go through the boot camp assistant and divide a disk 50/50 between OSX and Windows and then boot to the vista install disk, the vista setup screen shows a PARTITION as "disk x partition x BOOT CAMP" and it works to select that partition, format and load windows... No problem. However when you choose the option in Boot Camp to erase an entire extra disk (in my case bay 4) and create a single partition for Windows and then boot to the Vista install disk the disk that was erased of the mac formatting, it doesn't show up with "BOOT CAMP" in the name inside the Vista setup screen, nor will it let you install vista to it, even if you pick the right one and format it inside Vista setup.
    I've tried removing all internal disks except the one I want to load vista on and booting directly to the vista set up disc, and formatting with windows command line diskpart inside setup too, unsuccessfully. It simply keeps giving me messages that windows cannot be installed on the volume... I changed it from a GPU type disc using the "clean" command in diskpart but it still won't work! Man!!!
    How can I get vista loaded on a separate disk on my mac, boot camp or not? It seems silly that a disk must have an OS X partiton on it before windows will load on it... Is there a way to load Vista x64 on it's own dedicated internal disk? Gratitude for any real help, I'm positive I'm not the first guy to want to load vista on it's own disk LOL!

So I figured this out myself, there was some kind of glitch in boot camp, i bypassed it and formatted the disk with the os x disk utility as a fat 32. pulled all the other drives out, and booted to vista setup. it formatted the disk to NTFS and lets me install vista 64 yahhhooooooooooooo!!!!!

• 'Windows cannot install required files' error while installing Vista SP1

I'm installing Vista Client SP1 on my Macbook pro and getting the following error:
    Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation.
    Almost exactly as described in this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930984/ except my error code is 0x80070017. I'm double-checked CRC on my dvd to ensure it's not corrupt. Also I've previously successfully installed Vista SP1 from the SAME DVD on a different Mac Leopard (desktop)
    Any ideas? This is a new Macbook pro, just got it yesterday. Could be DVD drive issue?
    Thanks!

Did you get far enough to delete the FAT partition BootCamp created, so you could create a new NTFS one?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933925
    or this:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1464025&tstart=0

• How to dual install Vista and Windows 7?

Hi,
    I have a question about setting up windows 7. But Im trying a slightly different approach. I have a drive on my Mac Pro that has Windows Vista on it. But I would like to put Windows 7 on it too. I dont know if i have to partition the drive to do this or can i just install it along side Vista? Thing is before i installed Vista I used disk utilities to partition the drive to 2 equal partitions but when I went on it to put Vista on it somehow Vista took the whole drive. So i have Vista on there and all set up but now I'd like to add Windows 7 without destroying Vista...How can I do that? Do i have to use the Mac OS and partition it and install or is this something I should do from the Vista side?

None. You have everything you need.
    Windows 7 DVD
    Vista
    And if you want another Paragon CampTune for resizing partitions.
    For backup, Vista, no need to buy Paragon or Acronis. WinClone is free and handy too.
    Trouble with Macs, or any computer, there are always different ways to get to same place.
    Backup, and then try, that is all anyone can do. I had Vista SP1 for work, Vista SP2 beta for testing, and Windows 7 beta to give it a shot, and I like W7 better.
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1866970&tstart=0

• Problem installing vista/xp on a mac pro, installers don't see bootcamp

hello there!
    recently, a video post production studio i work for purchased a new penryn-based mac pro (2x3.0 ghz, 6gb ram, nvidia 8800gtx).
    yesterday i wanted to install vista onto it to be able to help other windows machines in the studio with 3d studio max rendering jobs (8 cores should do wonders for that), but i ran into a weird obstacle.
    this mac has 5 internal sata drives - one (320gb) for the system, and 4 disks (750gb each) in raid0 set (just a temporary setup until the studio purchases a fiber optic card with external disks). the DVD drive is an IDE one.
    this is the first time i'm setting up windows on a mac, so i could be doing something wrong, even though i doubt it - it seems very straightforward.
    so i created a 32gb partition on the system disk (the only one that's not in raid) using boot camp assistant, and started vista sp1 x64 install (boot camp recognized the install dvd).
    after a reboot, vista started it's setup routine. everything was fine until it reached the part where i should select the destination partition for vista. this is the weird part: vista installer sees all 4 750gig drives from the raid, but it doesn't see my system drive (320gig) which has Macintosh HD and BOOTCAMP partitions on it. vista even sees any usb drives connected.
    doesn't seem logical, as all sata drives are on the same controller (at least that's what leopard system profiler says).
    i thought it had something to do with the fact i'm trying to install 64bit vista, so i tried with windows xp sp2 (x86), but the same thing happened.
    i searched all over, but couldn't find anyone with the same problem.
    any thoughts?
    Message was edited by: recircle_admin

This thread says it all - and then some
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7150748&#7150748
    I would pull all the drives except your boot drive. Makes it easier.
    32GB is pretty small actually for Vista x64. And the SP1 patch process can temporarily use another 10GB. Also, you are running off the slow inner tracks of your drive, which is half performance of outer tracks.
    Most people opt for stock 2.8GHz Penryn - not a huge benefit from going with 3GHz, but that is beside the point.
    Always good to disconnect any device during the install except what you have to use (keyboard, mouse) which can interfere.
    You MUST reformat the 32GB from FAT to NTFS before you can install. That is where most people stop. You have to DELETE and then CREATE that BOOTCAMP 32GB (Advanced Options) before you can proceed with installation.
    You don't want 32-bit version if you want to access more than 1.9GB RAM.
    Lots of threads here in BootCamp, in Mac Pro Discussion, and MacRumors Windows on Mac.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86

• Satellite Pro A200 - Is there any way I can re-install Vista?

Hi,
    I bought an A200 a couple of years ago pre-installed with Vista Home Premium.
    Recently I got a virus and had to re-install windows which I tried unsuccessfully from the recovery disks I had made from the Toshiba recovery programme. After several attempts I decided to install Ubuntu 9.1 instead, which I have been happy with, however certain features, such as no sound through HDMI, have not worked so I would like to re-install Vista.
    I believe the install files for the pre-installed Vista are on a partition somewhere on my A200.
    Is there any way I can re-install Vista?
    Thanks

Hi Sched7,
    There is no recovery partition on Toshiba notebooks. Only a folder with an image is stored on the second partition but as MisterX wrote, if this would be available its too late now since you installed Ubuntu
    In your case I would try the recovery disk again. I noticed also a problem with the disk after I had a virus. I had to wipe the whole HDD first by using Microsoft disk. After this I tried the recovery disk again on a clean HDD and it successful!!!
    In worst case you have to install Vista from a Microsoft disk. You can download all drivers and tools on the Toshiba website.

Maybe you are looking for