How do I get an xterm window (from X11 running) to be non-VT100?

I am trying to connect to a Sun Workstation machine via a wireless connection to start up an xterm session. I want to use some graphic-intensive programs on the Sun system, but for some reason, my doing an remote ssh into the machine reports that my machine is acting like a VT100 terminal.
Any ideas on how to turn the graphics on?
Thanks.

Unix, Terminal, and X11 questions are best asked in the Mac OS X Technologies -> Unix forum.
And an xterm is never a graphic device. It is always a character cell terminal emulator.
However, maybe what you really want is to export your X11 DISPLAY device to your Sun system, so your Sun system can send back X11 GUI windows.
ssh -X [email protected]
As an alternative you can replace -X with -Y. See the "man ssh" man pages for details. The -X (or -Y) will create an ssh X11 tunnel from your Mac to the Sun system. Then any X11 based GUI application you start on the Sun system will send its application windows back to the X11 display server running on Mac OS X.
NOTE: I'm assuming you have Applications -> Utilities -> X11 installed from the Mac OS X installation DVD.
You also do not need to use an xterm to connect to your Sun system (unless you prefer the xterm), you can use Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal. You can even use Terminal -> Shell -> New Remote Connection to start your Sun session.
And iTerm <http://iterm.sf.net> is another terminal emulator that allows you create a list of terminal session bookmarks that automatically ssh into any system you desire. I've got about a dozen different Mac, Linux, Sun, and AIX system bookmarks in my iTerm bookmark list.
Oh, and just in case you want the TERM environment variable that appears on the Sun system to be something other than VT100, you can always just tell Sun you have a different type of character cell terminal emulator, assuming the terminal emulator you are using on the Mac supports those features
export TERM=xterm # executed on the Sun side
export TERM=xterm-color
export TERM=xterm-16color
But this will still be a character cell terminal interface.
Please continue this conversation over at the Mac OS X Technologies -> Unix forum.
Message was edited by: BobHarris

Similar Messages

• How do I get all the files from the hard drive in non-working Compaq Presario CQ62-411NR

Spilled iced tea into the keyboard of notebook and after drying out it will not power on. If I try a hard restart it is indicated that i would lose all the info in the memory and I can not afford to lose the photos of my mother that are on the hard drive. Is there a way of getting the hard drive to work in some other fashion so that I can get my photos and other files.
    This question was solved.
    View Solution.

Very happy to help.Valued family photos are a treasure.
    ******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******
    **Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**

• How do I get Powerpoint to terminate from a running VI ?

I have deveopped a sub vi (see below) to run a power point presentation. Everything works fine except the last step. Although I invoke the method to quit powerpoint, powerpoint does not terminate until I terminate the top level VI that iniatiated the process. If I run the sub VI by itself powerpoint terminates at the completion of the VI.
    Attachments:
    Run_Presentation.vi ‏68 KB

I looked at your VI and you have a lot of references that you do not close. I think that may be part of the problem. I know that you have an application reference that you open at the beginning of the chain and then close another at the end of the chain. Maybe if you make sure that they are both closed?
    Let us know how it turns out.
    Bob Y.
    Bob Young - Test Engineer - Lapsed Certified LabVIEW Developer
    DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Alliance Member
    mailto:[email protected]

• My old computer crashed and needed replaced, how do i get my library back from the old one and put on the new one?i had xp now windows 7

my old computer crashed, it was xp i replaced it with windows 7 how do i get my library back from the old computer and put on the new one?

iDevices are not backup devices.
    Use the backup of the computer to put everything back.

• I use the "Bootcamp" on my Mac to work between Mac and Windows. How do I get my iTunes music from the Mac side of my hard drive to the Windows side?

I use my "Bootcamp" harddrive to work on both the Mac side and Windows7 side of my computer. How do I get my Itunes Library from the Mac side to the Windows side of my Mac Book Pro?

Time Capsule is for backing up your data. It's not really a solution for live file storage; using it will not reduce the bloat of your boot volume.
    If you have a lot of movies, music, etc. in your iTunes Library, that can be a good thing to move to an external drive. Here's how:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1449
    After you follow those instructions to copy your media over to the external drive and point iTunes to it, you can delete it from your internal drive.

• How can I get notes (app Notes) from HTC HD2 smartphone with OS Windows mobile 6.5 to my iPhone 4S ?

How can I get notes (app Notes) from HTC HD2 smartphone with OS Windows mobile 6.5 to my iPhone 4S ?

iPhonePeter wrote:
    What about file format? (In windows mobile is *.pwi)
    Irrelevant if you cut and paste the content of the note into an email.

• How can i get my iphone backup from my windows pc on my new macbook?

how can i get my iphone backup from my windows pc on my new macbook?

You could transfer the files, but why not just resinc it?

• I got a MacBook Pro for the first time and just install iTunes.... how to I get my purchased songs from my Windows 7 to my new MacBook Pro

I got a MacBook Pro for the first time and just install iTunes.... how to I get my purchased songs from my Windows 7 to my new MacBook Pro..... please try to make it easier for me since im new to the Mac OS

1) Copy all music files to a thumb drive / external hard drive.
    2) Open iTunes on your MacBook Pro (congrats!)
    3) Under the File Menu, select "Add to Library."  Navigate to the folder with your music in it and click "Open."  Bam!  Music.

• How can I get my photo's from my iphone on my Windows computer?

How can I get my photo's from my iphone on my Windows computer?

you connect it by usb cable
    you go into my computer
    you clikc on the iphone which show up as a camera there (if you installed Itunes)
    then you navigate to the picture folder and copy out the photos you want from camera roll

• How do I get my videos(camcorder) from Windows PC to Ipad 2

How do I get my videos (camcorder) from My video on my Windows PC to my Ipad2?

Convert them to an iPad compatible video format and then import into iTunes and sync them.

• How can i get back to windows 8 if i downgrade my laptop to windows 7

My laptop was been downgrade from windows 8 to windows  7because of graphics not funtioning properly. how can i get back to windows 8 again? is there a recovery disc for this?

Hi:
    Did you install the correct W7 x64 graphics driver that should work on your model?
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-111285-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

• How do I get text to flow from one page to the next in Pages 5?

How do I get text to flow from one page to the next in Pages 5 with the Maverick system?

What may be overlooked in Pages v5 is the notion of combining Text Boxes via the Menu > View > Show Arrange Tools. When you select two Text Boxes, an extra panel unfolds at the bottom of the Arrange Tools window. Uncheck one Text Box and this panel abruptly disappears.
    One can achieve text flow effects between Text Boxes differently based on how one positions the Text Box overlap, and choice of effect above. Though not the accustomed flow found in Pages ’09 v4.3, flow does occur. Consider the possibilities of combining a Shape and a Text box to cut an irregular Text box.
    If I create two Text Boxes and position them side by side with outline touching and choose Unite, this creates one larger Text Box and text flows across and down. On the otherhand, if I overlap the upper left corner of a lower Text Box over one above and to the left, then choose Union, pasted text fills the first Text Box and then flows across and down into the other box. Here is a Union example:
    Intersect will leave a small Text Box where the two overlap, so not much value there. Subtract will cut a chunk out of one Text Box that is the size of the overlapping piece of the second Text Box:
    And Intersect will leave an island in the center where the two Text Box overlap, with flow jumping over this bridge.
    Clearly, this is not what we were accustomed to in the past, but with imagination, style, and layout tuning, it does offer alternative Text Box creativity and layout. Of course, there is the option of simply returning to the previous Pages version for true Text Box linking that most will want to use.

• How do I get home video clips from iMovie Mac to iMovie iPad?  Surely there is some degree of cross-compatibility?  I have a load of clips in iMovie on my MBP that I wanna download to my iPad2 so that I can edit movies on the move.  Any ideas?

How do I get home video clips from iMovie Mac to iMovie iPad?  Surely there is some degree of cross-compatibility?  I have a load of clips in iMovie on my MBP that I wanna download to my iPad2 so that I can edit movies on the move.  Any ideas?  (The clips are in a .mov format, they have been imported / converted into this format in iMovie, original files were from a JVC camcorder in some other strange format.)

I copied the iTunes file from the external drive and it's in both places.  I thought all I would need is the iTunes program (which I downloaded to new computer) and my iTunes library file.  There must be something else that's missing.  My iTunes library looks the same on the new computer as it does when I open it on the external drive.  If I click on an iTunes library song from my new computer, it will only play if I have the external drive plugged in.
    My back-up drive is a mess.  I have multiple copies of music, video, photo, and document files and I don't know how that happened. ={  Obviously, I don't know how to back up stuff properly and there are back-up files extending over a 6- to 8-year period.  I think all I did was just drag and drop the main folders from the back-up drive to the same main folders on the C: drive.  Also (and I'm kind of fuzzy on this) Windows used to automatically save music files in a folder within my document files (which makes no sense to me).  As my Jewish friends would say, "Oy Vey!" 

• How do I get my purchased movies from iTunes to show in my Library without storing all the GBs on my hard drive?  [I want to show the Cloud Purchases.]

Hey Hey! 
    Running OSX 10.9.4 and iTunes 11.3
    I am pretty sure that this has been addressed somewhere, but I could not find it - so thanks up front!!!
    How do I get my purchased movies from iTunes to show in my iTunes Library without storing all the GBs on my hard drive?  I want to show the Cloud Purchases without having hundreds of GBs taking up my HD space. 
    Thanks!

Deborah,
    You cannot import contacts from your Nano to your PC via iTunes.  The syncing process is only one way.  However, if you enable disk mode on your iPod, open it up in a Windows Explorer window, you should see a Contacts folder.  From there you can copy them back over to your PC. 
    Even though this article is talking about adding contacts to the PC, it should walk you through some of the steps mentioned above.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2419?viewlocale=en_US
    B-rock

• How can I get rid of windows 8.1 in my new lenovo and get windows 7 put in?

How can I get rid of Windows 8.1 on my new Lenovo laptop and install Windows 7?

Hi,
    I'll assume your laptop was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1
    1. Start by copying all your personal folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, Favourites, local databases,
    hosts files, etc) into an external disk, DVD, tape, whatever.
    2. If I were you, I wouldn't use Windows 8.1 backup tool, I'm not sure Windows 7 Restore applet will be able
    to read a Windows 8.1 backup.
    3. Check that you have all the necessary licenses, CDs and executables to reinstall your former Windows 7
    applications, components, browsers, plugins, Java, .NET Frameworks, etc. Be aware that some applications require
    to keep same hostname and/or same IP and/or or same local username (or all of them) as they were on the original
    Windows 7 machine.
    4. Check that you have your Windows 7 CD and license handy.
    5. Do you have a Windows 7 image backup of your laptop (prior to the Windows 8 upgrade)?
    5.a Yes? Then restore that image and restore your personal folders on top. You might need to
    install or reinstall some of the applications I mentioned on #3
    5.b No? You'll have to format your laptop, install Windows 7 from scratch, create your local
    user with administrative rights, install SP1, install necessary updates, reinstall all your
    applications and finally restore your personal folders.
    Sebastian Sajaroff Senior DBA Pharmacies Jean Coutu

Maybe you are looking for

• Unable to deploy a Windows 8.1 image using WDS name and approve!

Hello, Hopefully some of you residing Windows 8.1/2012R2 WDS experts are able to answer this question that has been tormenting me for 3 weeks now! I have been trying to deploy a custom Windows 8.1 image to a test VM using an answer file and WDS for a

• Security settings on pdf files

I have created a form in Word and then added fillable fields under a trial Acrobat Pro.  In beta testing (basically e-mails to myself and my staff), I find the form can't be saved by the recipient.  I have gone into security settings and have "no sec

• How Do I Get Rid of all these Pop-Up Windows?

Somewhere along the line, something seems to have added itself to Safari, so now every other new window is a sales site.  For example, just in the last couple of clicks I've had two different pop-ups for Mac cleaning utilities (MacKeeper is CONSTANTL

• Sluggish after latest update

My MBPr 13' became extremely slow after the latest update. I've tried resetting SMC and PRAM, no way thanks EtreCheck version: 1.9.15 (52) Report generated 22 September, 2014 at 19:15:38  GMT+2 Hardware Information: ?   MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,

• Invoking asmcmd  for oracle 10g RAC in LINUX

Hi Experts, I got below message when I try to Invoking asmcmd. [root@Sale ~]# su - oracle [oracle@Sale ~]$ export ORACLE_SID=+ASM [oracle@Sale ~]$ asmcmd ORA-01034: ORACLE not available ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist Linux-x86_64 Error