PDF functionality in PRS-T1

When I tried to open a complex PDF file in my new PRS-T1, I received the message "for the best experience, open this PDF portfolio in Acrobat 9 or Adobe Reader 9 or later". The document did not open at all but there was a purportedly helpful little button to "Get Adobe Reader now!". However when I follow that link the message is "Adobe Reader is not available from Adobe.com for your device's operating system"
Since this is a Sony Reader generated message, what is the fix? Is there a way to download Adobe Reader 9 to the PRS-T1 from Sony?
Is there an Adobe Reader version built in to the PRS-T1 firmware, and if so can it be updated by Sony and offered for download?
Thanks,
(k)

Thank you for your post.
As the issue you are describe does not seem to be appearing on any of the PRS-T1 Readers we have been testing with pdf files I would recommend that you contact Sony product support for further investigation:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/suppor ... ?mdl=PRST1

Similar Messages

• Copying text from PDF created using print to PDF function in OS X

I use a MacBook Pro with Mac OS X Lion, and Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac and Adobe Acrobat Pro.
    For some reason when I use the Print to PDF function to export a PDF of a Word document, then open it with Acrobat Reader or Acrobat Pro 9 and try to select text and copy it then paste it into a word processor (include Word 2008) the resulting text is gibberish. It looks like some sort of encoding issue, but I can't understand that, since it's all happening on the same Mac! I have also tried to do this with Preview as the PDF reader but I still get gibberish.
    The issue first started occuring with Snow Leopard, and all software is patched, but no dice.
    I've attempted to work around this by using all of the different PDF options under the print dialog, and by saving the doc as a PDF, but I still get the same thing.
    I've also tried copying and pasting the text int Pages, then saving it as PDF and trying to ready it .. again, no luck.  I was able to output the file directly from Pages to Preview and save it from there, but it really doesn't seem like this should be necessary, given that the functionality is build into the OS.
    Anybody else have experience with this? I have just one user that needs to copy and paste text from the doc, so it's a real pain to have to maintain separate PDF and Word versions.
    Thanks!
    D

Rishi,
    Welcome to Apple Discussions.
    After reading your post, I tried to duplicate this problem. I opened a PDF, selected a sentence, then copied it to the clipboard. I then opened Pages, selected the blank template, then pasted in the text. It pasted perfectly.
    Does this problem happen with all text in a PDF? With different PDFs?
    -Dennis

• Possibility to execute Acrobat Pro's "Combine files into PDF" function from within SAP?

Good day.
    Presently, a company uses Acrobat Pro to manually combine files such as *.pdf, *.jpg, *.doc, which have been downloaded from SAP's Document Management System, into one pdf file. I would like to know if it is possible to automatically execute Acrobat Pro's "Combine files into PDF" function from within SAP (ECC 6.0) application system. I'm wondering if this could be achieved from a program via OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) or RFC (remote function call).
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts and inputs.

Yes, you can combine PDF files via IAC/COM methods.

• When will the ACROBAT PDF function work again for Office 2011 for MAC and PC?

HELP!!!!
    Adobe Tech support suggested I submit my comment to this post in hopes  that this will help resolve the issues.  I feel for them having to field  these calls.
    I can no longer convert Excel, Word and Powerpoints to PDF.  If our company converts one Office doc to PDF a day, we do at least 50 conversions to PDF.  Since the 9.4.2 update, the PDF feature does not work on MAC...and since the 9.4.4 update it no longer works on a WIN system.
    We have Acrobat 9 on all the MACs and PCs in the office.  We downloaded Acrobat X to test it out when it first launched.  Other than some nice bells and whistles with the convenient interface and new enhancements to the Portfolio feature, Acrobat X still does not do the basic function Acrobat was designed to do....convert to a PDF.
    We began converting PDF's on the WIN systems because the file size and object data handling on MAC had become difficulty over the past year (lost fonts, file size bloated, etc).  Now, nothing works on either system.
    Last year Adobe and Microsoft Office suggested we upgrade to CS5 and the new OFFICE to fix the problems.  MAC remains closed box which is why the system is so clean, but poses a real challenge when running non MAC software.  Now Adobe advises that Acrobat only works on the previous version of Office (?), but not 2007 and that they are not compatible with the new office even thought it worked just a few weeks or so ago. Unfortunately, we have used some of the new features in the new Office and now are being asked to go back a step.
    OFFICE automatically turns on your 90 day free tech support now when you call in to tell them PDF doesn't work.  They feel they are giving YOU tech support.   Last year, the Microsoft Office group advised that once they hand off to the PDF processor, that function is all Adobe.  And it seems that Apple has their own Quark processor running scripts in between the two functions which is why the PDF file sizes are bloating on MACs.
    The Adobe Acrobat engineers at AdobeMAX suggested to run Paralells or VMware on MAC in order to convert files to PDF properly/small size  (which is what they say they do to get around the object data and bloating issues internally on their own MACs).
    I know so many colleagues now who just run dual systems (WIN/MAC) so they can realize the full function of the Adobe software.  It is not convenient when traveling or cost efficient for small businesses, but that is what we had to do to get our jobs done.  I "HAD" a couple of the most incredible PDFing maching in my office until about a week ago...a $4k mega WIN System raided, 2 SDDs, 2 1TB HDDs, major video card, etc....and they are sitting lonely because PDF doesn't work anymore.  But goodness, how fast it converted things to PDF.
    Is there another patch coming imminenty to fix this issue?
    I don't really care if there is a 32 bit or 64 bit issue.  Customers pay premium price for the software which boasted 64 bit, etc and it should work as advertised. I ponder, are all my macs 64bit now???  They still don't work either.  Customers depend on the software to do even the most basic functions in daily business and should not have to spend hours on the phone trying to figure out a problem that has nothing to do with them or a workaround because their investment did not work as advertised (and has genereally worked for years)....
    One click of the button should be all that is necessary to make a PDF and make people everywhere happy when they need to send a secure output of their huge powerpoint to a customer to get business or their child's project for school that morning.
    Is there a software war going on between the companies?
    Are they rushing to market too quickly?
    Do the companies thoroughly test the patches before running the updates?
    Are there not enough API's or "hooks" allowing companies to make their products work with the different hardware, firmware, etc?
    I don't really care what the internal issues are. Just fix it!  The software should work as it is marketed (including the platform) and these companies need to get together and make it work (if that is the case) so their loyal customers can get their jobs done enabling them to purchase the next version of software that is suppose to be better than the last for their work.
    Posted Respectfully and with hope this issue will be resolved promptly!

Mr. Jones,
    You are a real lifesaver!!!
    It worked on the Mac.  Will have to do some searches to find the same on the PC since the same is happening.
    Do you happen to know why Adobe is saying they are not compatible with Office 2011 now?  I found a link on the Adobe webite along those lines yesterday, but was not able to find it this morning to insert into this post.
    Our CEO had a real meltdown at about 2am the other morning when trying to pdf something for a meeting the next day.  Was not very pretty.
    THANK YOU!!!

• Layout to pdf functionality available in SDK?

When emailing documents from SAP the document layout is used to create a pdf and added as an attachment to a message. Apparently, as in the service module, the name of the file is even passed to the conversion process.
    I can see in the SDK references how to create messages to be emailed and how to add attachments but not how to actually generate attachments.
    Is it possible to access this functionality from the sdk? I'm looking for a way to use the existing layouts within SAP like the standard SAP document mailing does.
    I already have a program I wrote that uses Crystal Reports to create pdf files or prints reports from a Windows service using a queue table in SAP. However, I'm looking for a way to use standard SAP layouts.
    Thanks for any assistance.
    Bill Faulk

I can call menu options from an addon but that really wouldn't be so great with 2000 customer invoices.
    My customer wants a program to email/fax/or print invoices depending on a setting in the business partner. I already have a program that runs in the background on the server and automatically prints or saves output from a Crystal Report layout to a pdf using a print queue in the sap database. I'll likely need to update that to add to the sap message queue for printing and faxing after the pdf is saved.
    It doesn't look like there is any exposure of any method to print a layout much less generate an attachment so I guess I'll have to do my own thing with Crystal.
    Thanks for answering though. If anyone know of any plans to add this functionality in SBO 2007, or has figured out how to expose an existing method to do so from one of the SAP libraries then please let me know.

• Pdf.js breaks pdf functionality with no recourse

I came into work today and lo and behold, after the obligatory but unwanted and unnecessary monthly update from FireFox, PDF files are behaving very differently: not rendering, freezing up, not returning search results, etc. So after spending a half hour (my boss has some choice words for you) trying to figure out what's happened, I find that Firefox has foisted a new "feature" on my workflow: pdf.js, a solution to a problem that never existed. I decide to disable it, as every response from Firefox has suggested, but now PDFs won't open at all. Every PDF I save to the desktop via Firefox and try to open (Adobe won't open inside Firefox anymore - thanks again!) says it's corrupted and unreadable. I switched back to IE and wow, PDFs work as I had configured them, even when I save them to the desktop. So not only did Firefox break the in-browser experience, but you've managed to break things outside the browser as well by corrupting PDFs as they pass through Firefox. *golf clap* This system was working perfectly 16 hours ago when I left work.
    This really is the straw that broke the camel's back. I have a long history with Firefox, a regular supporter, cheerleader, bug reporter, reviewer and donator (I've signed up with a new email to make this comment), and the last year has been nothing but a downward spiral. I swallowed the new stupid update cycle even though it's obvious that issues like this exact one are a seriously detrimental side-effect, but I cannot swallow this. You have the best browser in existence but you are killing it. Absolutely. You have alienated one of your hardcore supporters and the thing is you don't even care, not one whit.
    I know this is supposed to be a support question but honestly I don't care anymore, either. I have to switch back to IE (Chrome is just... not good) and this time I am not looking back. I will be relinquishing Firefox to what used to be IE's status: only used when I can't get functionality from another browser (essentially when I need to use the web developer toolbar). Too bad. I just dread the spate of friends, relatives and colleagues that will be flooding me with problems and requests to remove Firefox (s it can't be fixed).

I don't think this feature was ready for prime time. I spent about an hour over the last day and a half going back and forth with a staff member by email who reported that several of our PDFs "wouldn't download". I found that the new PDF viewer handles our PDFs generated from document scans abysmally, taking so long to load pages as the user scrolls that they might legitimately give up and assume the pages will not load, and scaling the page images poorly enough to make them very difficult to read for those with the patience to see them at all. Simply downloading the same document to the same machine occurs so quickly that it's hard to register a download delay at all, so I'm not sure what takes so long.
    The staff member was over the moon when we got the new feature deactivated on his machine. I'm sure that we have site users all over right now who are having the same problem, and don't have the technical expertise to know that they can bypass the hinky viewer, or even to know that the viewer is the problem.
    In testing this out with multiple users and operating systems, I find that users who are annoyed by the new viewer don't seem to realize that they aren't dealing with Acrobat Reader, and so will tend to blame Adobe for their headaches. Not fair, but the new viewer does look awfully like a plug-in PDF reader.

• How do I get PDF function back, I've lost it?

I thought I needed Adobe Acrobat reader for my system. I installed it and then lost the function to download PDF files and I can't get it back. In Preferences/Applications there were still programs listed to do PDF's but PDF's wouldn't open. Then I tried removing Acrobat reader from my system and that didn't work. I tried resetting defaults and that didn't work. Then I've noticed in Preferences/Applications that there is no longer even a program listed to open PDF's.
    I've just reviewed your educated guesses and I guess they are correct but I still can't open PDF's.
    Help would be appreciated, Thanks

re ''"When I reset to default the program put a file on my desk top called Old Firefox Data. How do I re-install that?"''
    You do not need to re-install it. It is a copy of your old profile after you have reset Firefox. On Reset, Firefox automatically transfers your personal information '''and''' it creates additionally a second backup just in case you need it. You can archive it for any eventualities in the future.
    see [[Reset Firefox – easily fix most problems]] for more on that.
    Let us know if it helped!

• Acrobat 7 combine pdf function

Using the full version of Adobe 7, when I selected multiple pdfs in windows explorer and right clicked, a "combine in adobe acrobat" function would appear in the context menu.  I just tried out the trial version of Adobe 9 and have now uninstalled it, but this functionality has disappeared.  Is there a way to restore this option in the right click context menu?

Your right click menu, technically called the "context menu" is editable in the registry.
    Go to the start menu and type in the search bar "regedit". Open regedit. This is the registry editor. Be careful not to mess anything up here.
    Navigate to :
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
    Right click on ContextMenuHandlers and select "New"........."Key"
    Create a key with data string "{D25B2CAB-8A9A-4517-A9B2-CB5F68A5A802}"="Adobe.Acrobat.ContextMenu"
    Leave the name of the key default and leave the type REG_SZ.
    You can rename the folder to Adobe.Acrobat.ContextMenuHandler if you like.
    Close regedit and restart your computer. Your right click option is back.
    If the regedit technique does not work there is a series of dll's missing in the folder: program files......../acrobat/acrobat elements. You need repair the installation or reinstall the program.

• Override of PDF Functions in htmlLoader

Is it possible to override functions in pdf forms processing called by htmlLoader?
    Specifically I want to pass a user password into the document programatically rather than having the dialog box popup.
    Would it be possible to extend the adobe reader class involved and override the specific funtion?
    Thanks

No. PDFs always render in front of everything else.

• Acrobat X hangs when using "Save as compressed pdf" function

I have several users who, when working remotely over VPN, have Acrobat X hang when trying to use the "Save as compressed PDF" to save to either a network drive or to their local machine. The system works fine while in the office however. All other programs and save functionality is fine while connected to the VPN, and I am able to save files directly to the network share or local machine outside of Acrobat. I have removed and reinstalled Acrobat and the program will complete a save normally the first time it's used after the reinstalltion, but will then start failing and hanging again after that. I believe I am at v10.0.7.
    Any and all insight will be greatly appreciated!

Hey Lori –
    Yes, that’s the option! Sorry don’t have a copy of the software on my own PC to verify against.
    Best regards,
    David Bates
    Desktop Support Technician
    p: 919.541.2705 | EZ Tech Service Desk: 866-411-4372 | [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
    ECS®
    109 TW Alexander Drive, RTP, NC 27709
    Federal Sector | [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>  | www.ecs-federal.com<http://www.ecs-federal.com

• "Print" to pdf function missing in Word and other strange print behaviour

I'm trying to narrow down an issue I'm having with printing. I just noticed that the ability to creat a pdf in Word (print -> save as pdf) has disappeared. The button is now gone for some strange reason. I also noticed when trying to print a Keynote outline, when selecting ColorSync (print -> copies and pages [click and select ColorSync]) all my choices are gone (grayscale, b&w, etc.). Something's obviously wrong, but is it my printer software (HP 7310 aio) or OSX? My guess is the two issues are tied together.
    Also, I haven't added any new software to my computer and all software updates have been installed.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

I have no idea whether this will help you or not, but IF some system software somewhow got corrupted, it should help.
    1. Download either OS 10.4.10 COMBO update for Intel or OS 10.4.10 COMBO update for PPC
    2. Run disk Utility Verify Disk
    3. Run Disk Utility Repair Permissions
    4. Reinstall OS 10.4.10 from the combo installer that you downloaded in (1).
    5. Run Disk Utility Repair Permissions
    6. Run  Software Update to make sure you have all the security patches that were released since the COMBO update was released.
    7. If you got downloads in (6), run Disk Utility Repair Permissions
    8. See whether you are working now

• (Streaming) Video in PDF Functionality? and other fun things.

Hi guys,
    I'm creating an internal nationwide newsletter for my company Opening in Full Screen. I've have a four minute video introduction from the chairman at the top of the page.
    The Plan in theory is that the user will read the blurb then click on the poster of the video.
    Then the video should open in a floating video (in the middle of the screen) and play automatically. And close when finished.
    I've just used the insert video action in PDF. Used "clicked on content" floating window. Auto hide controls.
    My problems are:
    The floating window always appears in the top right, there is no setting on how to correct this.
    The video doesn't automatically play. You have to move the mouse over the window to unhide the controls and press play on what look to be a blank window. Once the window opens id really like the video to start playing. then once its finished for the movie to close.
    Also on some machines the timeline bar on the player has a bright green hatch across it. The video plays fine. I just want to know what it is.
    From the research ive done, it seems this could be possible to do all in flash and insert a floating swf with the video.
    But im quite a basic user in flash. So im looking for advice/help/moral support or just a nudge in the right direction.
    Im using adobe pro extend 9.1. Ive got a flv 320x240 with is stream from my companies internal web server.
    Chris

You can do this by using embedded Flash/Flex content in the PDF.  Write or otherwise acquire a simple video player in Flex that points to your company internal webserver, and then embed that Flex app in your PDF as a Rich Media annotation instead of the video itself.
    Check out this blog post by Joel Geraci:
    http://blogs.adobe.com/pdfdevjunkie/2008/09/best_practices_video_in_acroba.html

• MSWord items that crash Adobe Acrobat 9.0 add-in (Create PDF function)

I just want to include a tip I discovered after two days of troubleshooting a colleague's MS-Word (2007 - docx) document. I tried going through the forums to see if anyone else has posted this.
    Obviously, my colleague would try to use the Acrobat add-in within Word through the "Create PDF" button. But doing so causes MS-Word to crash. The crash involves the dialog box for sending an error report to MS (which I cancel).
    I then attempted this on another PC and got the same result.
    Another colleague on the support team suggested trying to convert only sections of the document to try and pinpoint the issue to an element within the document. The result of trial and error pointed me to a particular graphics element on Page 11 of the 46 page document. The graphics element was composed of 4 clock diagrams that were made up of smaller elements (arrowheads and lines for the clock-hands, separate textboxes for the numbers 1 - 12 on each circular clockface, etc.) Deleting the whole graphic allowed the document to be converted to PDF.
    I then reverted to the original document and clicked on the graphic. I was about to investigate if there was a particular element within the grouped graphic that caused the crash, but, by luck, I was able to discover that just by ungrouping the graphic into its elemental components "Create PDF" was able to render the PDF successfully.
    Perhaps this is something to try in the future should anyone run into this issue. I hope this helps someone else.

It may be something that Adobe did not catch in the way that MS did the graphic processing (and to be sure MS does not always do things by the book). It may have been fixed. I note that you only have AA9.0. The current version is AA9.3.4, so an update might be in order. Potentially that would resolve the problem.
    In any case, I have found the graphic processing done by WORD 2007 to be strange. Taking the same file to WORD 2003 (saving to a DOC format if required) has no problem with the conversion. So there are likely problems from both MS and Adobe.

• How do I get pdf function to work?

I downloaded trial of Adobe Acrobat XI, but when I try to make a pdf of an InDesign (CS3), it cannot "find" the printer.  Is there a fix for this?  I have Acrobat 8, but it does not want to work with my new Windows 8 computer.  Is there a patch or other fix for this issue?  Need it asap as I must deliver file to client today!

Thanks folks.  I actually figured out the problem...I had to "install" an Adobe PDF printer.  Now it works fine.  As to Exporting, that works fine for regular files, but I need to print it in booklet form to be sent to a printer for printing.  It seems it will let you view it in spreads, but will not export as a booklet.  Thanks to all for your help!

• Cannot Create PDF Using "Create PDF" Function in Acrobat 8

I can create by using "save as" in my Office programs, but only from the Windows Explorer box, not from the menu.  However, I can no longer "create pdf" nor "combine files" inside Acrobat 8.  I get reinstall message.  It starts and hangs up.  I tried reinstalling from CD.   I use this feature a lot to create files and it just quit.  Nothing new has been installed that might interfere. I've made sure that the distiller is not inactive.  Thoughts?

Unfortunately, alot of us had to upgrade to Office 2010 ...its very unfortunate that adobe doesn't warn us up front about the imcompatibiity problem before they took our money.  Granted they can't give us warnings about every compatibility issue..but considering that MS. Office PDF comversions is a big marketing interest for adobe, I for one would have liked to have known that before I paid for adobe for 9, for I would have waited for 10
    -- Sent from my Palm Pre
    On Sep 14, 2010 18:10, GKaiseril &lt;[email protected]&gt; wrote:
    Unfortunately one has to upgrade programs as clients and others update their programs. You need to carefully look at what you need and what programs can work with your target requirements.
    Until Adobe releases Acrobat 10 do not upgrade to MS Office 2010!!!
    It appears that with the release of Acrobat 10, much of Adobe's support to Acrobat versions 7, 8 and 9 will be reduced to the very minimum updates.
    Many CAD programs require upgrades to newer versions of Acrobat. But Acrobat does not support all CAD programs.

Maybe you are looking for