Ram Upgrade for T60

Hi,
 I have IBM T60 laptop with 1 GB ram.  I want to upgrade the ram to 2 GB.  According to the lenovo site I need to install this ram
2GB PC2-5300 NP DDR2 SDRAM SODIMM.
40Y77352GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM SODIMM
 http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-62761
Should we have to install the ram recommended by IBM/Lenovo for T60.
Are there any alternatives from a different company.

Welcome to the forum!
Any laptop RAM spec'd at PC5300 or higher will work. You can shop around for the best deal you can find. FYI, IBM or Lenovo don't manufacture their own RAM sticks, but get it from other companies (Hynix, Samsung, Elpida, Micron) and re-brand it.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
George
In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
Collecting dust: T60
Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

Similar Messages

• Where can I find a 16gb or 32 gb ram upgrade for my 13" Mid-2012 Macbook Pro?

I bought a 8gb ram upgrade for my macbook pro and it isnt getting the job done (I'm trying to run Protools 10).
    Where can I find a 16gb or 32 gb upgrade that is compatible with my macbook?
    I'm currently running:
    Macbook Pro
    13" Mid-2012
    2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Crucial RAM for the 2012 MBP is around $129 at NewEgg and Amazon for 16GB.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148609

• Ram upgrade for mac Book Pro mid 2009

Hi, I just bought 2x Kingston 4GB ram upgrades for mid-2009 MacBook Pro. First I don't notice any difference in speed. Second, the computer (in about this mac, activity monitor) doesn't seem to acknowledge it now has 8gb of ram not 4gb. Why would these be so?

You should be able to install 8GB I would check to make sure it has a secure connection. Maybe one of the RAM sticks is bad, or the port itself is bad.
    13-Inch Mid 2009: http://support.apple.com/kb/sp541
    15-Inch Mid 2009: http://support.apple.com/kb/sp544
    They both state that they can support up to 8GB of RAM.

• Where is the cheapest place to buy 8gb ram upgrade for my early 2009 iMac?

Where is the cheapest place to buy 8gb ram upgrade for my early 2009 iMac, I have bought before but current upgrade is causing mac to crash randomly!? Need to know a place I can buy Ram which is confirmed to work my my mac model, the current upgrade is working but Mac is very unstable.

I meant more reasonable priced than apple
    That'll be almost anywhere else then!
    Yes, if it is made by Crucial and confirmed as suitable for your model of mac you will be fine. You can also buy direct from Crucial:
    http://www.crucial.com/eu/?cpe=pd_msn_uk
    which is what I would do (did).

• Hard Drive and RAM upgrades for latest 15" MBP

I'm minutes from ordering a new MBP. Only concerns are whether I get hte Apple upgrades or shop around.
    I like this Hard Drive...
    http://www.compu2000.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6433
    And this RAM upgrade...
    http://www.a-power.com/product-10937-311-4
    If these are equivalent to the apple options I can save hundreds and get a 320 GB drive, which will make a great portable.
    So, does my plan hold water?

You're on your own for support when you do your own upgrades like this, but generally speaking, it works fine.
    Note that HDD is less risky than RAM. With RAM you run the risk of unstable behavior that is tougher to diagnose. That said, a quality RAM upgrade and some initial testing with any of many available tools is as good as a factory build.
    HDD upgrades are less risky, and I've upgraded (well, replaced after HDD death) ones in my MBPs many many times. I crunch my hard drives more than normal and have to generally replace them about every year. Some of the MBPs don't make this easy, and prepare to get all sorts of cozy with little 0 and 1 sized Phillips screwdrivers and some T6 as well, but it is doable (just not quite for the truly faint of heart).
    Again, you're on your own for support once you do this, so weigh that in your decision.

• Cost/benefit of RAM upgrade for iMac G5 2 GHz from 1.5 to 2.0 GB

Equipment: iMac 20" 2.0 GHz, 250 GB HD, originally 500 MB RAM upgraded to 1.5 GB: (1) 500 MB and (1) 1 GB DDR SDRAM, PC3200U-30330.
    Not understanding the subtleties of memory upgrades, I bought this off the shelf with 500 MB RAM. When the processor board was replaced, I added a 1 GB RAM and can't say I noticed any change in performance. It does reduce the need for page outs.
    After this, I read something about needing to have the DIMMs matched for there to be a performance gain. Or maybe this related to 64 bit operation? I read elsewhere in the Discussions that 64 bit operation would actually consume more memory and reduce performance.
    If I upgraded to 2.0 GB, would there be any improvement in performance? In general or only in certain situations?
    If I upgrade RAM, I'll have (2) useless 500 MB DIMMs. Is there any value in these? Where is the best place to sell them or do they have value as trade-ins?
    Or is the best use of the money to put towards an Intel Mac that can support 10.6+ ?(...or a share or two of Apple stock.)
    Please convey your wisdom. Thanks.
    P.S. I know the stock is the best use of my money, so just consider the hardware options.

I happened to find this answer while looking for something else.
    iMac G5 and iMac G5 (Ambient Light Sensor): Benefit of using matching memory modules (RAM) http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2708
    Condensed version:
    Applies only to original iMac G5 and iMac G5 (Ambient Light Sensor).
    *If it has matching DIMMS it operates with a 128-bit data path, otherwise it uses a 64-bit data path.* A 128-bit data path allows greater throughput than a 64-bit data path. This allows faster manipulation of large files. With a 128-bit bus, you would see better performance when you have multiple applications open at the same time. Also, some enhanced gaming performance.
    According to this, I was getting better performance before I added the 1 GB of RAM, except that degraded performance due to stuffing RAM to the gills has to be weighed against that. Seems like trading up to a full 2 GB would have some unquantified benefits. The only ways to find out are to find another iMac to compare with or to put in the RAM and see what happens.

• RAM Upgrade for 17" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz, Core 2 Duo)

I am looking to upgrade and max out the RAM slots on my 17" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz, Core 2 Duo). Will the CORSAIR 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) DDR 667 (PC2 5300)? The item I am looking at can be found here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2153340551%201328023 882%201327924738%201328123897&name=DDR2%20667%20%28PC2%205300%29.
    Thanks!

Here's a better deal than NewEgg.
    http://dealmac.com/Corsair-4-GB-2-x2-GB-PC2-5300-Laptop-RAM-Kit-for-20-after-reb ate-6-s-h/262711.html

• Happy to report (Ram upgrade for Mac mini))

Hello All,
    I would like to share this info with you, just in case someone wanted to add more Ram to their Mac mini.
    I purchased 2X4GB Kingston DDR3 Ram and followed instructions that I found on YouTube and other sources to replac my 2GB Mac mini.
    The Kingston ram is very cheap KVR1066D3S7/4G but you should evaluate how much Ram you will need.
    If I knew that I will only need 4GB then I would have saved my money in a warmer place (my pocket).
    Anyway here is the info of my Mac mini after the RAM upgrade:
    Hardware Overview:
      Model Name:          Mac mini
      Model Identifier:          Macmini3,1
      Processor Name:          Intel Core 2 Duo
      Processor Speed:          2 GHz
      Number Of Processors:          1
      Total Number Of Cores:          2
      L2 Cache:          3 MB
      Memory:          8 GB
      Bus Speed:          1.07 GHz
      Boot ROM Version:          MM31.0081.B06
      SMC Version (system):          1.35f0

I'm not sure what your point is here. How does one actually "evaluate" how much RAM you think you need?         I think most would agree that a RAM upgrade is one of the best performance boosters for the money and the simple rule is the more RAM the better. I have a new Mac Mini with 2.3 GHz i5 processors and upgraded to 8GB of RAM from Crucial.com (complete with instructions so you don't have to search YouTube) and noticed an immediate performance increase when working with multiple applications and while playing iTunes, etc. The Crucial upgrade was only $59.99 for 8GB kit and I think the 4GB kit was only $20 cheaper so it doesn't make sense to not get thte 8GB kit.

• Maximum RAM upgrade for Mac Mini mid-2010?

Hi,
    I have a Mac Mini mid-2010 (Model 4.1).   I purchased it with 4 Gb RAM, and I am now considering a RAM upgrade. 
    I currently am running OS 10.95 - and not particularly happy with the sluggish performance that has been the hallmark of my 'upgrade' to Mavericks on this machine. I figure that increasing RAM can only help what has become a sometimes teeth-gnashingly slow computer.
    In any case, the Apple tech specs document says that the maximum RAM for this machine is 8 Gb.  However, the macmemory.com web page for this model Mac Mini says it can handle 16 Gb so long as the OS is 10.7 or greater. 
    Is this true?  Anyone tried this?
    Thanks,
    HJ

Memory capabilities:
    Maximum Memory
    16 GB (Actual) 8 GB (Apple)
    Memory Slots
    2 - 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

• RAM upgrade for MBP 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I have a MBP 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo currently with 2 GB of RAM and with all the work I do on it I would like to upgrade to 4 GB. Purchasing the RAM through Apple is out of the question because it so expensive.
    I would like to know what is the best brand to buy and on what website.. Is an upgrade to 4 GB possible for my MBP? It looks like I have my "Bank 0/DIMM0" filled with 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz and my "Bank 1/DIMM1" filled with the same thing. Does this mean that both of my RAM slots are full AND if I want to upgrade my RAM I'll have to purchase 2 sets of 2 GB RAM? Please help as I am new to all of the tech stuff...
    Another side note... I've noticed that some discussions have stated that some MBP are only upgradable to 3 GB of RAM, but I'm pretty sure that I can upgrade mine to 4 GB of RAM. Can anyone shed any light on this?
    Your help is much appreciated...

yes, both of your RAM slots are full, so to get 4GB you will have to get 2 2GB sticks. Having the same model I can safely assure you that it will recognize all 4GB of the new Ram.
    as for brands, there have been many I have seen recommended on this board, but one name seems to pop up consistently is Kensington, I picked up my ram from the store I bought my laptop at, so I couldn't recommend a site, sorry

• Ram upgrade for 2010 15" MBP

What options do have to upgrade the RAM in a 2010 15" MBP?

Check this link at Crucial.com. They have reliable/compatible RAM upgrades. It appears you can go as high as 8GB.

• RAM upgrade for a Satellite A100-847

I would like to upgrade the RAM for my A100-847 from my current 512 MB by adding another module for 512 MB but i face a compatibility problem because looking at the manual the only compatible modules are the following:
    256 MB: PA3389U-1M25
    512 MB: PA3412U-1M51
    1 GB: PA3411U-1M1G
    I tried looking for a module with these codes but I didn't find any in Romania. I could find a module from another manufacturer with the same specification but I don't know if these would function properly .
    So I need some advice .
    Thanks,
    Bobby

Hi,
    which manufacturer you have seen? If they have the same specs, then they should fit. The best decision would be to take some kingston or crucial modules. They were tested to work well with toshibas, so just consider buying some kingstons with the specs of the original toshiba modules and have fun with them.
    In case of some further question just ask.
    Greetings

• RAM Upgrade for Late 2009 Mac Mini -- anyone tried 16gb?

Just a stupid question.. I've got a Mac Mini server (late 2009) that came with 4Gb of RAM.. The machine has never been speedy by any means and after finally getting some time to look into why, I think I know mostly why.. I've got the machine setup handling DNS, email (with Amavis, spam handling,etc), both MySQL and Postgres databases, Apache+WebDAV+iCAL and of course handling 2-3 user accounts being logged in at all times (using iTunes, Safari, etc).  if I pull up Activity Monitor or use the "MemoryStick" utility, I see that my RAM usage is typically (almost always) at about 96% used with 7 swap files running.. I've never seen it below about 95% used.  I know that this machine is capable of being outfitted with 8Gb of RAM (although Apple does not necessarily endorse that config).  So, this leads to my next question -- has anyone taken some 8Gb RAM modules such as these : http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/1333DDR3S32S/  and tried plopping two of them in to see if they're recognized as 8Gb modules and used or not?  I also have a brand-new 15" MBP (2011 model) that seems to occasionally suffer from the same fate -- it's also got 4GB of RAM and last night for quite a while it was at the 90% utilization level for RAM as well while importing some videos in iMovie '11..
    I'll have to admit that I'm wondering whether 8Gb is going to be enough RAM for my purposes on the mini.. I suspect I'm probably asking it to do too much -- all of this used to be done on an older model HP Proliant server (quad CPU, hot-swap drives, redundant power supplies,etc) -- but it cost about $40+ per month in power alone..
    Anyone?

Thx.. I've actually upgraded to a new 2011 Mac Mini which can still take those same 8Gb ram sticks.. Interestingly enough the new Mac Mini server still comes with a measly 4gb of RAM which just doesn't cut it with OSX Lion -- I'm constantly at 1% free RAM when I've got Mail.app running.. Ugg.. Hopefully once I put 12Gb or 16Gb in, it'll hum along..

• RAM Upgrade for G$ Powerbook 1.67GHz

I have a 1.67 GHz Powerbook G4 with 512 Mb RAM I want to replace the two 256MB boards with two 1Gb boards. I think the specs for the or=iginal boasrds are PC2700 DDR SDRAM - can I safely replace these with faster boards - i.e. PC 3200 DDR SDRAM ? Any help greatly appreciated

I hate to pose a second question within a topic but it is related to the g4 1.67 powerbook. Mine is a double layer drive version (best way to differentiate, I suppose), using the pc-4200 sticks. I just upgraded and was curious about a notation within System Profiler. It had 512 to start with, in the lower slot (20, I think it's called). I bought a 1 gig stick, which was quite reasonably priced at put it in. I doubted that buying two gig would give appreciably more performance than 1.5. I installed the 1 gig in the top (meaning closest to the hatch) and ran up the machine. Recognized everything fine, says 1.5 gig in the "about...". When I looked at system profiler, it also showed 1.5; clicking on the memory detail showed 20 and 23 filled with 512 in 20 (original) and 1gig in 23. But, it shows "reversed" in the comment field. I wondered if there was any effect for installing them this way or if I should take both out and put the 1 gig in the bottom slot.
    Re: the original question. I'm no powerbook expert but any computer design I know of is limited to the clock speed used on the memory board. The board clock usually is just a derivative (divided) from the main system clock and moves memory one word at a time (to a particular chip set) regardless of chip speed as long as it is the equivalent of the clock or higher. Slower chips will be erratic and cause errors as they slip words by not keeping up with the clock but that's not what was asked. Visualize memory as a bunch of firm spaghetti on a board 64 or 128 strands wide; you take a knife and cut across the ends and slide them to the edge of the board (falling is irrelevant). Then get another cut. That's how input to the memory is moved. More sophisticated designs can use more complex schemes but this is the basic.

• What is the right 1G RAM upgrade for Aluminium G4 1,25 GHzPowerBook ?

After 6 months of struggle I am ready to throw my PB into trash bin and a buy a powerPC that works.
    I tried to upgrade RAM from 1G to 1,5G - the older RAMs being 2x512MB Kingston copies and working well but getting slow for multitasking (photo editing and other jobs). I understand this is possible, but I am no longer convinced.
    Ordered an Apple original from retailer getting first a RAM that did not work at all, the PB not starting, and thought this is due to bus slewing phenomenon.
    Contacted the importer and they sent me another one that should work, this being a PC2700U-2533 DDR Sodimm 1GB by Daimler.
    Now the PB starts and I can even get it working for upto 1 min or 2 max, then it freezes. No difference whether the RAM is on the lower or upper slot, and if I put the 1G RAM alone to any of the slots, the computer freezes at startup already.
    Is this now due to CPU speed that is too low, as obviously the buffering does not work properly as the computer starts, but then crashes? I get logs that indicate something is not properly identified, PCI cards do not work properly, etc.
    Is there a way to get over this and how ? In my country the Apple care and service is not worth mentioning - won't say where as I might have to resort to the monopoly office...

Tortuga,
    I too have a 1.25 GHZ Powerbook, and have had issues with my machine, and installing new RAM. I've solved it with my machine by buying the Kingston KTA range of RAM. I bought a 512MB module, so I could replace one of my stock 256MB modules, to take my RAM to 768MB.
    If you want a 1GB module that is guaranteed to work, then you need the Kingston KTA-PBG4333/1G module. I know by listening to other people on this discussions site, that this RAM works, especially with the bus slewing models like the 1.25GHZ Powerbook.
    These machines are extremely fussy about the RAM they take, but the 512MB module I have fitted is working fine, and is worth the extra I had to pay for it. Cheap RAM is not an option, if you want your machine to work without problems, I have found, through trial and error.
    You'll have to look at Kingston suppliers in your Country (you mentioned Euros, so I assume you are in Europe somewhere), as I'm in the UK and RAM is expensive here anyway.
    I believe the 1G Kingston module is around £128 from Orca Logic (that's who I got my memory from). I believe the Crucial memory is almost the same price, but I don't know if their memory works in the 1.25 GHZ machine like the Kingston KTA RAM does.
    Alum Powerbook G4, 1.25Ghz Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Maybe you are looking for

• Changing HD on macbook

Three questions: 1. I am thinking of upgrading my 60gig HD that my MacBook came with to 80 possibly even 120 Gig. I think it allows the user to change the HD without voiding the warranty, am I right? 2. How do I switch HD without loosing my data. In

• Podcasts not available?

Why aren't some of the podcasts available? Does Apple not have all the aggrements with whoever is in charge of the podcasts. Oh well I guess I'll just keep waiting and use 3rd party software. Alasdair

• HT1212 what do you do if you ipod is locked for 22 million minutes

trying to restore to wont let me as my brother has locked my Ipod for 22 million minutes

• How to use command "Add Link" in Number 3.0

I have seen the command "Add Link" in Number 3.0. I try to use it but I can't.  What happen ?

• Help SecurityException

Hello. I'm a problem with WL6.0 that in WL5.1 i haven't. My source code is : java.security.MessageDigest oDigest=java.security.MessageDigest.getInstance("MD5"); byte oRes=oDigest.digest(oIn); the Exception that produce is : java.lang.SecurityExceptio