Replacement hard drive for T23

I've got a 2647-HU8 and need a comatible replacement drive. It had a 4200 rpm, 40 gb drive. ATA-6.
I parts list gives the number 08K9767 or a Travelstar 4K40.
The Travelstar 4K40 is no longer available. Do I go with a 5K40?
Thanks in advance.
ThinkPad T23, 2647 HU8, Based on 2647-8RU: PIII-M 1.20GHz (512KB), 512MB RAM, 40.0GB HDD, 14.1 XGA(1024x768) TFT LCD, 8x8x24x/8x CDRW/DVD, Modem(MPCI), Ethernet(CDC), WinXP Home, Linksys Wireless B adapter.
Solved!
Go to Solution.

You can install any flavour of 2.5" P-ATA drive you wish to, 4200, 5400 or 7200 RPM, height restriction 12.5mm. As far as capacity is concerned, I'm not sure on this point, so I would recommend staying under 120GB to play on the safe side. Other members who know better will hopefully post to say you can go for larger capacity if you wish to.
Andy  ______________________________________
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.
  Deutsche Community     Comunidad en Español    English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество
PepperonI blog 

Similar Messages

• I work for a university and we have a legal apple vendor.Can we re-install macosx for a replacement hard drive for a old macbook?Just one example.

I work for a university and we have a legal apple vendor who we get to buy all our Apple products from.Can we (university) re-install macosx for a replacement hard drive once the hard drive gets replaced? How can we as the university IT department legally re-install macosx on a imac,macbook, macbookair etc. We would like to load customized macosx imaging software onto the mac machines(imac, macbook, etc ). The university has its own IT workshop and we would like our users to get their laptops back in the shortest turnaround time.

We're not "Apple Inc." here, just users like you.
    So whatever we say is not an official statement, nor does it in any way, shape, or form represent the official or unofficial policies or opinions of Apple, Inc.
    But I'll offer my quick opinion, having worked in information-systems and technology support in a wide variety of environments over many years.
    Question #1. "NO!"
    No tech support nor repair facility, even if "Apple-authorized", is automatically empowered to install or upgrade OS X on a replacement hard drive just because it is more convenient or time-efficient. When the repair is complete, the student should be expected to (re)install the operating system themself*!
    Nurturing students (and occasionally dragging them, screaming and kicking!) as budding computer-, tablet-, smartphone-users to become digitally self-sufficient is a worthy goal that any institution of higher education must pursue.
    Making students totally dependent upon "Mother Support" for every little thing about their personal digital devices is a grave disservice to both the students and the people who provide the support. Support-mothered students do become life-long digital dependents, instead of taking the required time to learn enough about the care and feeding of their digital "pets" to sustain them. Entreprenurial students may choose to become 'experts' and actually help each other with their devices, and even make money doing it. Some students may even be inspired/coerced to pursue a career in tech support!!!
    *By all means, if the student requests additional help (re-installing the OS), then the University should charge the student a fair price for the service, provided that the user provides the OS on original or upgrade media, or in the case of the 'digital download' upgrades (for OS X 10.7 and 10.8) provides proof of purchase for the OS upgrade, or the original purchase receipt or other recognized documentation for the purchase of the computer showing the version of OS installed when purchased. Students need to learn about personal responsibility, economics ("What is MY time really worth"?), and proper record-keeping too!
    Question #2. Regarding the customized imaging software, provide it on media or a link for students to download and install it. Make it their responsibility!
    Message was edited by: kostby

• Replacement hard drive for 17" Macbook Pro (4 years old)

I need to replace the internal hard drive (500GB) in my 17" Macbook pro.
    Is the "Seagate (Model: STBD1000400) 1TB Internal Serial ATA III/Serial ATA II Solid State Hybrid Drive for Laptops" a worthwhile and compatible purchase from Best Buy?

I havent used that hybrid drive, maybe someone else here has.
    As for replacement with a conventional HD:
    Best buy 1TB Toshiba 5400RPM 2.5" 9.5mm thick
    same as used by Apple in new macbook pros   made by Hitachi, marked Toshiba.
    These are the same HD used in current Macbook Pro, theyre made by Hitachi, marked Toshiba however
    MQ01ABD 1 TB 2.5" Internal Hard Drive
    http://www.amazon.com/MQ01ABD-2-5-Internal-Hard-Drive/dp/B0077CV2RO/ref=sr_1_1?i   e=UTF8&qid=1377897424&sr=8-1&keywords=toshiba+5400+1tb+2.5%22
    If you want that Hitachi travelstar, here it is on ebay for $69 by a reputable seller:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HGST-Travelstar-5K1000-0J22413-1TB-SATA-2-5-Laptop-Hard-   Drive-HTS541010A9E680-/251275236853?pt=US_Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item3a 8 12bd5f5
    I know this sellers reputation, however his prices are higher:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitachi-Travelstar-7K1000-1TB-7200rpm-SATA3-2-5-Hard-Dri   ve-HTS721010A9E630-9-5m-/370789354623?pt=US_Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item 5 654c48c7f

• Replacement hard drive for late 2008 Macbook Pro

I need to replace my drive in a late 2008 Macbook Pro 15".  I can access the battery and what looks like the hard drive from the underside, if this helps.  Would this be a good replacement choice?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136279
    Finding exact specs for the drive has been tricky, or maybe I just need to have the physical size verified.  What I know/have found is:
    5400rpm       (would a 7200rpm improve performance, or am I limited by hardware?)
    SATA II        (does this matter tese days?)
    2.5" drive   (needs verification)
    open drive?  (do I need this or not?)
    Any other options or advice?  I'd like to spend a small amount since this is an older computer and won't be around a whole lot longer anyway.  Thanks in advance!

The link you posted above is for a WD drive,....dont get it.   WD drives (some) have SMS sensor coflicts with Mac, and the consumer grade western digital HD are the worst you can buy.
    Same as used by Apple below, best option, cheapest price.
    best likewise replacement 1TB 9.5mm Toshiba
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-1TB-MQ01ABD100-HDKBB96A1A01-2-5-5400RPM-Laptop-N   otebook-9-5mm-HDD-/171120091488?pt=US_Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item27d78d 6 160
    $68
    Stockdizzle 
    I will need to clone the current drive before it fails; is there an article in this forum on that?
    Easy, 3 clicks and sit back and let Superduper CLONE your HD.....about 40 mins average.
    Superduper is free and most of the pros use it (or carbon copy cloner)
    http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html
    See instruction and get software there<     very very easy to do

• About to replace hard drive for the first time

Hello,
    I am about to help my grandson replace a hard drive (and upgrade the RAM) on an iBook G4 800mHz
    laptop. The current HD is certified dead by our Apple Genius Bar genius, and with any luck, that's all. (I am able to boot the machine from an external drive OK)
    He has purchased a Fujitsu 120GB HD from OWC (likewise a 1GB RAM chip) after careful research into compatibility with this particular iBook model. We have been studying the IFixit and powerbookmedic manuals and are thoroughly intimidated by fears of ripping connectors from logic boards (well, I'M intimidated at least!). Bought the right and proper tools, torx and philips drivers and spudgers and all. Right.
    My question is this: the HD arrived with a tiny blue part taped to the package....looked like it may be a jumper (I remember this from when friend helped me replace my G4 power pc HD). Does this drive require the placement of a jumper? Also, is it always necessary to format the HD before installation of the OS? Is it really as simple as taking the old drive out and putting the new one in exactly the same way? The instructions look very straightforward, tedious, but straight forward?
    Any wisdom before we start to pry open those fragile bits? thanks a bunch!
    Dave

David,
    As Adrian says use the same tape. Actually the service manual say the same thing, i.e. to remove it carefully so it can be reused.
    It's called Kapton tape ( from 3M of course but apparently developed by DuPont ) and I've been interested in it for a long time since it works so well. So I Googled it ( Google is your friend ) and came up with tons of sources. This one was very informative:
    http://www.technicaldevices.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=361516
    "PRESSURE SENSITIVE SILICONE ADHESIVE SYSTEM ; TRANSPARENT AMBER COLOR ; USED FOR FLAME RESISTANT ELECTRICAL INSULATION, WIRE AND CABLE WRAP, WIRE BUNDLING TERMINATION, SPLICING OF HI-TEMP REFLECTIVE THERMAL INSULATING FILM ; EXCELLENT SOLDER MASK FOR CIRCUIT BOARDS ; RELEASE SURFACE FOR HEATED PLATENS IN HEAT SEALING / LAMINATION ; RESISTS HIGH HEAT OF MOLTEN SOLDER TEMPERATURES OF 100ºF - 500ºF"
    Oooh now that IS some nice tape. Might have to get some of that and there are a lot of places where it's real cheap. I had assumed it was real expensive and according to Electronic Goldmine it was:
    "Most distributors sell this roll for $50 to $60." They're selling theirs for $24 but that other place $1.00 for what looks like the same stuff. Wait check that, if I'm reading that right it's 6" for $1 and the other place has 36' but it's only 1/8" wide.
    Crap.
    Richard
    Message was edited by: spudnuty

• HT1752 I need a replacement hard drive for model a1311 iMac

I removed my old hard drive, which is an original WD 500GB from my mid 2010 iMac, to try to replace with a seagate 1T but I found out that the original hard drive (thermal sensor) has 8 pins and my new one has only 4 pins.  What should I do?

Hi, only Apple has those special drives as far as I know, but there are workarounds...
    Tukaine
    Sep 23, 2012 10:59 PM
    Since the late 2009 iMacs came out, replacing the hard drive has caused the internal Hard Drive Fan to start running at around 6000RPM.
    This is due to Apple replacing the external Hard Drive temperature sensor with a proprietary firmware and using the drives internal sensor.
Replacement drives do not contain the firmware to deliver temperature data on the temperature sensor cable.
When the iMac does not receive a good signal from the hard drive it puts the fan at full speed to protect the drive.
    If you replace your drive, your iMac will initially seem fine, but soon the fan will begin to speed up to full speed. Resetting the SMC (System Management Controller) will have a temporary effect, but again the fan will speed up.
    Fixes people have used in the past included:
        •    Using smcFanControl and the terminal to set a MAX speed for the fan and writing scripts to start this after every sleep/restart.
        •    Shorting the temperature sensor cable (Not a possibility on 2011 iMacs) this tricks the iMac into thinking the drives temperature is very low, hence slow fan speed.
    Both these fixes are less then perfect and leave the drive in a dangerous situation with no protection from overheating.
    Another option people try is other Fan Control software. These programs will not work for this particular issue as they often only control the base speed, and if they do control the fans actual speed they rely on the temperature reported by the sensor which is now incorrect.
    HDD Fan Control
    HDD Fan Control works to fix this issue by reading the drives internal temperature using the S.M.A.R.T protocol and set the fans actual speed to a value good to protect the drive. 
It runs at startup and continually to always control the fan correctly, prevent the loud fan noise and protect the drive from overheating
    Instead of HDDFan Control, get the free SSDFan Control
    http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/

• I need a replacement hard drive for my iPod Classic 80GB ...  where???????

I have accidently damaged the hard drive in 80GB Classic iPod. I need a replacement drive , where can i get that from. There is a slight dint at the back of the unit, right where the hard drive sits, because of this Apple Warranty is not valid.

http://www.ifixit.com
    Google not working on your computer?

• Can someone recommend a replacement hard drive for my June 2009 17"MBP?

I need at least 750GB. My current HD is 500GB but I only have 90GB remaining as I have a lot of videos stored on the machine. Can someone recommend a HD that has at least 750GB of space and performs well with a 17"MBP?

If you are expecting to copy commercial, theatrical DVDs to any hard drive, DVDs are copy protected and you will find that no computer will let you copy copy-protected commercial DVDs.
    If your movies are purchased downloads from other sources like iTunes or Ultraviolet digital copies, then you will be able to make a limited number of copies for backup and storage onto an external hard drive
    There are ways to overcome this issue, but we are not allowed to discuss anything about DVDs that can break that copy protection.
    So, no one in these forums will be able to help you with that issue.
    You will have to do your own Internet searches for your own solutions to this issue.

• Suggestions on Replacement Hard Drive for Mac Book Pro

I have a MBP - 15-inch, Late 2008 - the apple tech tells me its starting to get daaged- before it goes I want to replace it.
    She told me to go to Newegg and purchase one there...however not sure what to get...
    I want a 1TB drive if its possible....anybody got some qualified advice...
    Thanks.

Almost any 2.5" SATA  hard drive can be used.  Recommend that you get a 7200 rpm drive, you will appreciate the increased performance over what you currently have.  Just be aware there are not many 1TB 2.5" drives around.  The only ones OWC carry at this point are Hitachi and Toshiba.  I wouldn't buy either brand.
    I just successfully installed a WD Scorpio Black (750GBm 7200 rpm) in my MBP.  Both physical installation & installation of OS X went without a hitch.  It's running like a charm.
    Also, you will need 1 tiny & 1 small phillips screwdriver and a small torx screwdriver to open your MBP and replace the drive.

• Replacement hard drives for thumper X4500 and X4540

While SUN X4500 came with Hitachi drives and SUN X4540 came with Seagate 1TB drives with SUN specific firmware on those drives, could I replace those drives with generic Seagate or Hitachi enterprise grade drives at all?
    Has anyone ever try that?
    Those SUN drive was around $1000 while those generic drive was around $300 a few years ago when I looked up the price.
    Thank you for sharing your experience.

I am answering my own post. We have successfully used another 1TB non-SUN drive on thumper X4540.

• I need a replacement hard drive for a 2004 G5 PowerPC iMac.

I picked it up for free at a garage sale, then opened it up and saw that ithad no hard drive. I don't know exactly what to buy, so if anybody could give me links to some on Amazon or Ebay that would be great. I don't really care about the capacity of the hard drive. Thanks!
    EMC:1989

Generally speaking any 3.5", 7200 RPM 1.5 Gbps SATA hard drive will do.   3 Gbps are too fast for it, and some may not down step without the proper jumper setting.

• What's the best replacement hard drive for an early 2008 MacBook

I asked this before, but I'm looking for the best bang for the buck on hard drives. Will a 7400 drain my battery faster? Is there a unit that is quiter than others?
    I've been told that the Western Digital blue series has comparability issues, are there other drives I should stay away from?

First, there are no 7400 RPM drives. There are 5200 and 5400 RPM drives and 7200 RPM drives.
    A faster hard drive consumes slightly more power than a slower one, all other things being equal. So, yes, it will cause the battery to drain a little faster.
    Yes, there are some drives that are quieter than others, but this will differ even within the same make and model.
    WD Blue drives or "green" drives conserve power by throttleing the drive's speed. They tend to have compatibility issues with Macs.
    What drive is best for you depends a lot on what you want to do with the drive and what your storage needs are.

• Replacement Hard Drive for Satellite 4090 XCDT

I have a Satellite 4090 XCDT which needs a new hard drive, I am trying to find out if the laptop/BIOS can support a 20 GB hard drive (Toshiba Mk-2018GAS), can anyone help me?
    Also upto what size will it support?

Hi Steve
    I can not give you precise information about 20GB HDD but I know that 8GB HDD will be recognized by BIOS and it will work properly. A friend of mine has 4100XCDT and it works with 20GB HDD without any problem.
    My opinion is that you should pick up some information by service partner or Google a little bit around and I am sure that you can find HDD vendor that can give you right information. I know that it is possible to built in HDD`s with high capacity to older machines but how it exactly works I can not explain you.

• Please recommend replacement Hard Drive for imac G5 17in

My 160gb drive died, and I would like to replace with a larger drive. Can I please have your recommendations for a replacement. The original drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Model # st3160023as
    I'd like to find something at least 250gb and 100% imac compatible... any suggestions???
    Thanks!

Hi dstusnick-
    Greetings and welcome to the Apple boards
    Take a look here: Mac Drive Upgrades/Compatibility Database
    Luck-
    -DP

• Best replacement internal Hard Drive for a Mac Pro 3

I am looking for a replacement Hard Drive for my Mac Pro 3. It currently has an Intel ATA drive. Can I replay it with a SATA drive or a Solid State drive to upgrade it? Thanks.
    Craig

I need to inform you there are no SATA. hdd in your or any Maqc Pro. Serial ATA only.
    Buy yourself a 250GB Samsung SSD $150 or 500GB $250 are best.

Maybe you are looking for