I can't reinstall Windows Xp pro SP3 from installation disk on my IBM Thinkpad T40

Dear folk,
I have bought used IBM Thinkpad t40 in Germany.
It has Windows XP in German, wich works well but it makes some dificulties while I am using some functions.
I decided to reinstall Windows XP Pro in English.
My Windows XP Pro CD instructed me to install XP from BIOS.
This is how it works.
I got to BIOS by clicking blue button "IBM acsess".
I have got to BIOS released in 15/05/2003.
My Win XP Pro CD instructed me to press Delete to boot Cd-Rom and run Win XP installator.
Meanwhile, pressing "Delete" button did not produce any effect.
I got to Start up menu in BIOS, then I tried to run CD-Rom to run Windows XP from my installation CD.
But it has not produce any effect.
System stayed still.
As result, I can not install Windows XP English version.
Please, hint me how can I reistall Windows XP English on my notebook.
May be something with old BIOS version and I has to update it?
Should I use other menu in BIOS for installation (actually I used all of them)?
Or anything else? Please, advice.
Or I has to learn German? )))
Looking forward for any help.
Cheers
Vittor

Hi and welcome..
leave short your german XP on your T40 ... you need it to update BIOS..
first i prefer to update your BIOS ... Download this T40 BIOS 
Version: 1RETDRWW (3.23) Release Date: 2007/07/03
you see this is abit newer ... follow the instructions to update...if update is successfull...you can go in BIOS
look at tab startup ... change startup sequence so that DVD/CD Drive is on first place and usb-device on second and HDD on third you can move this via F5 / F6.. exit and save with F10 ...
Download all drivers that you need from this page and save them on extra USB Stick or external HDD...you will need this to complete your install after XP is fresh installed
T40 Driver Table
Insert your English XP with SP3 in DVD/CD Drive and restart...
if a message comes press space to install from CD ...
follow the instructions.. delete (format drive C: where the german XP is ... and install XP in english..
when installation process is done... look at device manager you see many yellow questionmarks ..no installed drivers... Now use the pre-downloaded drivers from external HDD/USB Device... keep in mind that drivers are compressed when clicking on that the driver first deflates to c:\drivers\win\ [foldername]... sometimes you have to go in the correct folder and start setup to install it for real...
or you can install TVSU ThinkVantageSystemUpdater:
TVSU
that helps you .. but in that case you have to install Wireless or Cable Network first...
i dont prefer this because at this time you dont have a antivirus program ..
a small and good advice is AntiVir you can freewareversion download here
Free Antivir English
So good luck ...with fresh "english XP" on your T40...
sincerely KalvinKlein
Thinkies 2x X200s/X301 8GB 256GB SSD @ Win 7 64
Ideas Centre A520 ,Yoga 2 256GB SSD,Yoga 2 tablet @ Win 8.1

Similar Messages

• Installing Windows XP Pro SP3 from scratch - not upgrading

Hi there,
    My knowledge of computers is pretty limited and I'm wondering if someone can help me out. I need to install Windows on my Mac for school (needed for AutoCAD) and the only XP disk I have in Professional Edition: Service Pack 3. I have read a lot about troubles people have had with trying to install service pack 3, but I think everything I've read has had to deal with an upgrade from SP2. I will not be upgrading. I don't have BootCamp/Windows installed on my computer currently. I am starting fresh with a SP3 disk.
    I have Bootcamp assistant 2.0 on my computer currently. What do I need to do to ensure Windows installs with little to no headache?
    I hope someone can help me out!!
    Thanks

Hi and welcome to Discussions,
    first you should make/have a backup of your Mac OSX, just in case.
    Second, following the BootCamp Installation Guide (found here http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/ ) should result in a no-hassle Windows installation on your Mac.
    Windows XP with SP2 or SP3 is explicitely mentioned as being compatible with BootCamp.
    Regards
    Stefan

• Can't reinstall Windows 7 with Operating System Recovery Disk x120e

Hi,
    I dabbled with Ubuntu on my Thinkpad x120e, but found that the dual-boot was unneccessary.  I (likely foolishly) followed directions online to use EasyBCD (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/nongeeks-guide-safely-uninstall-ubuntu-dualbooting-machine/) to overwrite GRUB.
    Of course, now Windows won't load!  I get an error
    Windows failed to start...
    1. Insert your Windows installation disc...
    2. Choose your language..
    3. Click "Repair your computer"
    If you do not have the disc, ...
    File: \Boot\BCD
    Info: The Windows Boot Configuration Data file does not contain a valid OS entry.
    I got the Operating System Recovery Disc from lenovo (thanks Lenovo for sending it) and copied it to a USB as the computer has no DVD drive.  When I start the computer from the USB and select run from USB, it begins to load Windows, then Lenovo Rescue and Recovery 4...but then it crashes and restarts.  When I hit f8 and startup in SafeMode, it begins to load the safemode screen, but then also crashes. 
    Any advice on what to do??  Many thanks.

Hello,
    If you are okay with erasing the contents of the hard disk drive, you can try booting to a Windows Command Prompt, running DISKPART.EXE, selecting the hard disk drive, and issuing a "clean" command, which will erase the disk so that the operating system can be reloaded.
    Regards,
    Aryeh Goretsky
    I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
    S230u (3347-4HU) • X220 (4286-CTO) • W510 (4318-CTO) • W530 (2441-4R3) • X100e (3508-CTO) • X120e (0596-CTO) • T61p (6459-CTO) • T43p (2678-H7U) • T42 (2378-R4U) • T23 (2648-LU7)
      Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español Русскоязычное Сообщество

• I can't install ANY AIR-based App in Windows XP Pro SP3

Here is the problem: I have AIR 1.5.1.8210, but any AIR apps can't be installed and when I try it the OS crashes and I have my computer restarted. It's very weird 'cause it's heppen only with AIR apps.
    Yes, this is my last resource to find an answer to it.
    Yes, I've done my homework and yes, I've done some research (and still doing it)
    Yes, I'm using my administrator account logged on with password (so, I think, apps has no problem to install)
    Yes, I tried install it with another user account I thought the app will ask the admin password (just like in Linux OS, when the app on installation ask you about the root password). Even though, no success. Of course, it's something expected 'cause the user hasn't admin permissions. But I give a shot.
    Yes, I've already installed/installed about 5 times AIR runtime and the AIR apps (even manually) and no success...at all!
    Yes, I used at least 4 apps to system/registry/file cleaning (CCleaner, Glary Utilities, Advanced System Care  and MVRegClean)...too many of them, but only to be sure of the complete cleaning.
      Here in the forum another person, but on Vista, found almost the same problem as I, here's the link: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/199842?tstart=30
      And another buddy ask about admin rights to install AIR apps, here's the link: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415756?tstart=30
      And, I found two others infos in Adobe site per se about any troubleshooting on AIR: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb403150&sliceId=1 and log actions during installation: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb403123&sliceId=1.
    2+2 = 4. So, I done/undone all the steps in the last two links (I installed/unistalled the AIR runtime and AIR apps 5 times, remember?) Usually, I can handle my own problems in computer, but this one I can't figure it out.
    After all of this here's my system specifications: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3600+ (2.01Ghz), Windows XP Pro SP3 (32bits), Nvidia GeForce 7100 (512 Mb), 1.5 Gb RAM. Web browser: Mozilla Firefox 3.0.8 with TwitterFox.
    So, could anyone help? I know, I know to mucj information, burt it was to facilitate the conversation, believe me.
    Kisses, Cat777.

Well, well, well, right before somenone could answer me. I found the answer just here in the forum. I really love it!!!
      Seems to be a incompatibility with the file created on Folder Lock installation: "windrvnt.sys." In this case, it is just uninstall Folder Lock and tah dah! Everything works perfectly.
      Here comes my request: Hey, developers you all could give a try in resolve this issue, huh? At least give a try...It'll be very nice have the two programs properly installed in anybody's (who wants it) system.
      Thanks, anyway for this space to research, change some infos even undirectly. If it was not this forum and all the debate in here maybe I'll be in the dark search for the resolution of it.
      Thanks.

• Can I get Cisco Jabber 10.6.0 to work on Windows XP Pro SP3?

We are implementing the new Cisco Jabber 10.6.0, per a requirement, but we still have some Windows XP Pro SP3 users. The issue is that with this new client the app will not load due to error:  CiscoJabber.exe Entry Point Not Found: the procedure entry point inet_ntop could not be located in the dynamic link library ws2_32.dll.
    I understand Windows XP is "not supported", but since we are forced to upgrade to this version I was hoping for a work around for our Windows XP users until they can upgrade to Windows 7.
    Anyone have a solution?
    Thanks for your time.

Thank you for the suggestion. Here is what I did:
    Uninstalled 10.6
    Removed all folders and file traces of the install
    Tried to install 9.6 - got hung up during install so had to reboot
    Tried right-click on exe / uninstall and got message it was only used if installed, so it never really installed even thou I had a broken link to jabber on the desktop
    Tried install again. Second attempt was same thing. It gets hung on the windows installer - preparing to install... had to reboot again
    Right-click exe / repair and got message it was only used if installed
    Removed all folders and file traces of the install
    Redownloaded the exe
    Same issue, will not install. Hang right after registering product completes.
    So i'll be looking into why this is not installing now. :)

• IMac 24inch - Boot Camp and Windows XP Pro SP3 - ZERO Audio

I've just used Boot Camp to install a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro SP3 onto my 24-inch, 2.4 gHz iMac.
    Everything seems OK, except there is ZERO audio.
    I've tried reinstalling drivers from RealTek, to no avail. I've downloaded RealTek's latest drivers (number 217) and they appear to install, but nothing works.
    My Device Manager does not show any sort of Audio card whatsoever. Have I got some sort of hardware problem? (Audio works without trouble in OS X.) Why can't Windows find my Audio Card at all?

I also have the same problem. I installed the Bootcamp update for XP and then my audio does not work with XP anymore. It does work with Leopard still without a problem. I noticed that when I am in windows, and I turn the audio off of mute, there is a red light that illuminates from the Audio Jack. The Audio driver does show up on my control panel, but nothing is working. Is this a way to make us stop using windows?

• Problem installing NW2004s ABAP Trial version on windows xp pro SP3

Good Day.
    I have drawbacks installing Abap Trial SP12. When it comes to 89% ends abruptly.
    I set up MS Loopback Adapter. The operating system is Windows XP Professional SP3. 1Gb RAM. Disk Space 50Gb Free.
    I have installed thousand and once and presents the same mistake. I have followed the procedure to uninstall the MaxDB, Stop service SAP, Clear Folders installed and clean record with RegCleanTool. And nothing, I am grateful for the help they can give me.
    Thank you.
    (May 27, 2008 7:13:42 PM), Install, com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperI nstallFiles, err, An error occurred and product installation failed. Look at the log file C:\SAP\NSP\log.txt for details.
    (May 27, 2008 7:13:42 PM), Install, com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperI nstallFiles, err, ProductException: (error code = 200; message="Java error"; exception = [java.lang.Exception])
    STACK_TRACE: 15
    ProductException: (error code = 200; message="Java error"; exception = [java.lang.Exception])
    at com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperI nstallFiles.execute(StepWrapperInstallFiles.java:2 54)
    at com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperI nstallFiles.executeAllSteps(StepWrapperInstallFile s.java:224)
    at com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperI nstallFiles.executeAllInstallationSteps(StepWrappe rInstallFiles.java:177)
    at com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperI nstallFiles.install(StepWrapperInstallFiles.java:2 68)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJava ProductServiceImpl.installProductAction(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJava ProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.getResultForProd uctAction(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.Installa bleObjectVisitor.visitComponent(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.Installa bleObjectVisitor.visitInstallableComponents(Unknow n Source)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.Installa bleObjectVisitor.visitProductBeans(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJava ProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.install(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJava ProductServiceImpl$Installer.execute(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.wizard.service.AsynchronousOpera tion.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    (May 27, 2008 7:18:44 PM), Install, com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJava ProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct, err, An error occurred and product uninstallation failed. Look at the log file C:\SAP\NSP\log.txt for details.
    (May 27, 2008 7:18:44 PM), Install, com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperI nstallFiles, err, ProductException: (error code = 200; message="Java error"; exception = [java.lang.Exception])
    STACK_TRACE: 15
    ProductException: (error code = 200; message="Java error"; exception = [java.lang.Exception])
    at com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperI nstallFiles.execute(StepWrapperInstallFiles.java:2 54)
    at com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperI nstallFiles.executeAllSteps(StepWrapperInstallFile s.java:224)
    at com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperI nstallFiles.executeAllUninstallationSteps(StepWrap perInstallFiles.java:192)
    at com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperI nstallFiles.uninstall(StepWrapperInstallFiles.java :313)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJava ProductServiceImpl.uninstallProductAction(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJava ProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.processActionsFa iled(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.Installa bleObjectVisitor.visitComponent(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.Installa bleObjectVisitor.visitInstallableComponents(Unknow n Source)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.Installa bleObjectVisitor.visitProductBeans(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJava ProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.install(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJava ProductServiceImpl$Installer.execute(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.wizard.service.AsynchronousOpera tion.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Problem solved.
    I had installed.
    - Windows XP Pro SP3
    - Java Runtime 1.6
    The uninstall and install the following.
    - Windows XP Pro SP2
    - Java Runtime 1.5
    Thanks.

• Adobe Reader X wont open in Windows XP Pro Sp3

I have uninstalled every adobe product on my PC which is running Windows XP Pro SP3, then downloaded Adobe Reader X again and reinstalled it.
    Adobe reader X simply wont open - generates the "Adobe Reader has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience" message.

Announcement: Would you like to help us improve Adobe Reader?
    Hi All,
    We have had a few bug reports related to Adobe Reader X protected mode coming in from you in this forum. We have addressed a large number of them in our upcoming Reader update and we would like to hear your feedback.
    To that extent, we would like to invite you to the Adobe Reader Prerelease program and try out the latest build. To participate, please fill in the form available athttps://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=reader_prerelease_ interest and indicate Adobe Reader as the product of your interest.
    We look forward to your active participation, feedback and help towards making Reader a better product.
    Thanks and regards,
    Adobe Prerelease Team

• Reinstall windows 7 pro to change the system language

Hello Everyone!
    I recently bought a ThinkPad T400 online with preinstalled Windows 7 Professional.
    The system language is German and I want to change it to english.
    So far Ive seen, that it's only possible to do so by reinstalling windows 7 pro as an english version while reusing my product key, if I don't want to upgrade to ultimate.
    I'm not so good with computers and I'm a bit scared to mess something up!
    Can someone of you give me a nice step by step or some recommendations what I need to take care of?
    Can I really just download windows 7 pro from the official windows store? And how do I make sure to really get it in english?
    Thank you so much in advance!!
    I really didn't think changing the language could be so much of a hassle.

Installing Windows 7 is easy. But before going that route, you may want to contact Lenovo and see if you can get the english system recovery discs.
    If you have to reinstall windows there are good instructions here.As for downloading an ISO or purchasing an install disc, Microsofts position is that the ISO's are only available to people who purchase their OS online and then download it. All other uses are verboten. What you decide to do it is between you and your lawyer.
    Hoov
    Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
    SpywareHammer.com

• Airport Extreme and connecting through ethernet port to Windows XP Pro SP3

I have today had the sad experience to loose network connection to My Windows XP Pro SP3 using the ethernet port on Airport Extreme Base station, the newest one.
    It seems it won't pass an IP address for XP using DHCP, and to make things worse My wireless access using My is working okay!!!
    Why do I only have this problem through ethernet ports on the Airport Extreme Base Station for XP, but wireless connectivity for My Mac's works????
    If others have similar problems and have found a solution please let Me know.
    Yes, I have twice today contacted My ISP provider but as the Mac's can connect the problem seems to lie with the Airport Extreme Base Station.
    I will check this forum tomorrow and hopefully a response has been given to solve My problem
    Kind regards
    Engineer
    Preben Duus
    Denmark, Europe

You can access the AirPort Disk via normal file-sharing connection options, such as selecting the server from any Finder window’s sidebar in the Shared section. AirPort Disk uses two standard methods: AFP (for Macs) and Samba (for Windows or Linux).
    Leopard accesses AirPort Disks through the Finder, just like any other network volume. Open any Finder window, and look in the sidebar for a list of servers in the Shared section. You should find your AEBSn.
    To mount an AirPort Disk volume, follow these steps:
    1. Select the AEBSn in the Sharing section of the sidebar.
    2. To connect as a Guest user, you need take no more steps; To use a named account, click the Connect As button in the upper right and enter your credentials.
    3. Double click a volume that’s shown to mount it on your system.
    For both Windows XP and Vista, open the network browser by double-clicking Network on the Desktop. The base station name should appear in the Network browser.

• Anti-virus software on Windows XP pro sp3 with Virtual PC

Hi,
    I'm running Virtual PC 7.0.3 with Windows XP pro Sp3 on eMac. Has anyone found the need to run a anti-virus software etc as part of the Windows system? Or will the firewall on the broadband router modem be sufficient protection?
    Many thanks.

Thanks for the reply.
    Any recommendations on AV software?
    I tried installing a free version of AVG AV but the install would not complete, I ended the process after 1.5 hours.

• Migrating application from Windows 2000 to Windows XP Pro SP3

I just got a new computer with Windows XP Pro SP3 installed and need an application that was installed on my old, really old, computer running Windows 2000. The application was developed by a third party in 1997 and uses Oracle as the database engine. It uses Developer 2000 for the interface. Our IT person, who is lightyears ahead of anyone I've ever known when it comes to hardware and software, could not get the application to run on my new computer. We get error FRM-40039 when we try to open the application. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I use this application intermittantly all day and right now the "solution" is for me to go to my old computer to use it. This would be like an editor trying to use a dictionary located in another room from which it could not be removed (and could not consult the internet).

FRM-40039 is a Forms error, and Forms doesnt use ODBC. You'll probably get better help posting in the forum appropriate for that product. Unfortunately I'm not sure exactly what the forum is :(
    Greg

• I can not install windows 8 pro on my mac , the disc don't allowed be partition

I can not install windows 8 pro because of the hard-disc dont allowed to partition , I used the bootcamp but always the fault pop coming up .

Hi there soranfromorebro,
    I would recommend taking a look at the article below.
    Boot Camp: "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one" alert during Windows 8 install
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4560
    -Griff W.

• Unable to fully sync with iPod Touch 1G and the (new/lat)est iTunes versions in a very old Windows XP Pro SP3 machine?

Hi.
    I keep getting this "The iPod '...' cannot be synced. The disk is locked and cannot be written to." error when I try to sync my 11 GB of music from my very old, updated Windows XP Pro SP3 machine to an old iPod Touch 1G (iOS v3.1.3). It has a brand new (lat/new)est iTunes installations too. I tried rebooting the the machine, disconnecting USB cables, etc. None of them helped. I did not have this problem in the end of 2013.
    "Attempting to copy to the disk '...' failed. The device timed out."
    "The iPod '...' cannot be synched. An internal device error occurred."
    Sometimes Windows XP Pro SP3 thinks my USB connection is not fast? Huh?
    No problems when I synched almost 8 GB of music to an iPod Nano 6G from the same machine and USB connector and port. Same collection, and random songs.
    I tried again on a borrowed old 15" MacBook Pro (mid-2008) with Mac OS X 10.5.8 and iTunes v10.6.3. Synced from its local HDD to it without any problems.
    So, I had an idea. I retried with iTunes v11.1.3.8, that I used end of 2013, in the same Windows XP Pro SP3 machine from scratch. It worked like the end of last year! No errors! Wow! :O
    OK, so what changed in iTunes after its v11.1.3.8 to cause this problem?
    Thank you in advance.

b noir wrote:
    With those symptoms, I'd try the following document:
    Apple software on Windows: May see performance issues and blank iTunes Store
    (If there's a SpeedBit LSP showing up in Autoruns, it's usually best to just uninstall your SpeedBit Video Accelerator.)
    I only see mdnsDSP from Apple in my WinSock Provider tabs in AutoRuns v11.70. I do remember I had a low memory error during a very long synchronization, but that only happened once. I doubt that is related to creating a new account especially after I rebooted my very old Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine.

• Acrobat 7.0.5 Compatible with Windows XP Pro SP3?

I need to know if Acrobat v7.0.5 is combatible with Windows XP Pro SP3.
    Thank you.

I don't know, but you may go to the download page and click the individual links to read the notes for that link
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=1&platform=Windows
    BTW - There are several updates after 7.0.5 which you should install, and NOTE that the latest, 7.1.0 is at the bottom of the 7x section

Maybe you are looking for

• Can I stream video from one iPad to another?

There is an app that does this, but it is not available in the US store. Is there another way to do it? Note that I am not talking about sending simply sending vid from one to another--I want to stream in real time, using one iPad as a monitor to see

• Master Services upload

Hi experts, I 'm doing  the Master Services data using IDOC message type SRVMAS. The ABAP program reads a TXT file and fill in the segments, then generates an IDOC inbound through the FM IDOC_INBOUND_SYNCHRONOUS. The IDOC is generated with the follow

• Apps with OSD

SCCM 2012R2 MDT I'm deploying some pretty basic programs along with the OSD task sequence however they only work with Windows 8.1 and not WIndows 7 32 or 64 bit. The only error red I see in the smsts.log is this. ReleaseRequest failed with error code

• Is html/pdf output format from BO 508 compliant?

Hi Experts - I heard BO reporting tool can output html/pdf format.  Are they 508 compliant?  If not, how can I make them into 508 compliant please advice. Thanks

• Delay in airtunes

I recently purchased the 21.5" quad core imac and love it.  Very recently, within the last month, I've started experiencing some delay when streaming audio through airtunes.  It's a slight delay but enough to create an echo effect and drive me insane